• Published 3rd Jun 2014
  • 25,087 Views, 27,983 Comments

Piercing the Heavens - Calm Wind



Sequel to Flying Sky-High. A lot has happened, but now Rainbow Dash finally has a chance to fulfill her dream and become a Wonderbolt. As the process begins, will her relationship with Soarin be a blessing? Or will it be a curse?

  • ...
66
 27,983
 25,087

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29: Heavy Regrets

MLP: FiM
Piercing the Heavens
By: Calm Wind

Chapter 29:


Finally.

Finally the tryouts were over…

Soarin felt so relieved that he could go back to his daily routine. It was only three days, but it felt like a month and a half. There were so many cadets. It was HELL trying to keep them all under control and in order. Had they known the turnout was going to be so huge, they probably would have assigned a few more squads to help out. They didn’t even have the option on such short notice. Squads four, eight, and ten were all out doing single shows. Squads five and nine were out making formal business appearances. Squad seven was out on a long range patrol. That was all of the high tier elite squads right there.

Squads eleven through twenty were all available, but they already had a hard enough time keeping the low tier elite squads under control. Trying to keep those hotshots in order while also worrying about the large number of cadets would have been even more work for the three command squads.

Whatever… it was over and done. Soarin was just happy that he could relax.

But that was really the only thing he was happy about. In fact, he wasn’t happy at all. Why? Well, considering he had a pony that meant the world to him come to him in a state of hysteria, yell at him, question his love for her, avoid her own shortcomings by pinning it on him, and then walk out on him coldly… nah… he was feeling pretty damn shitty.

Not only that, but his mixed emotions were messing with his magic control. He fried a squat rack in the gym earlier just because he was angry. His frustration and angst related to the situation with Dash was apparently creating an imbalance in his ability to control the magic as well. Talk about a double deal.

Two for the price of one! The main attraction is a loved one yelling in your face with a side show of not handling the situation well and having her walk out on you! Don’t forget to stop at the gift shop on your way out! We have a blue light special on your own damn body blowing apart from the inside out with dark magic that’s been forced into you by higher powers! Right outside we have a stand where you can guess the weight of Celestia’s plot and win a prize! Do enjoy your stay in the wacky world of Canterlot, the Wonderbolts, and Soarin’s imagination! We hope you visit us again!

Dammit…


“Thanks,” Soarin nodded to the chef as he grabbed his full tray and made his way over to the tables in the mess hall. He was glad they didn’t have to eat in the side room anymore. It made him feel so secluded. It was back to meals as usual with the rest of the squads all in attendance. He was still going to sit with the command squads like they always did, but the atmosphere was back to normal.

What else was back to normal was the food. Soarin never thought he could look at a simple plate of corn, bowtie pasta, and grilled chicken and feel like he was looking at fine cuisine. He was going through mental hell at the moment, so a semi-nice meal was welcome.

He blinked as he neared the tables he and the rest of the command squad members typically sat at. It looked like it was going to be the old gender split today. Wave, Fire, Lightning, and Silver were all packed at the same table. None of the mares had shown up yet, so Soarin’s choices were narrowed down. Either join stallion time or look anti-social.

It was an easy choice. Soarin went right for an empty seat with the stallions. Besides that, unlike a certain turquoise, bubbly bundle of personal space invasion… also known as FLEETFOOT… Soarin was sure the rest of the guys would leave him be about Dash. He wasn’t sure if they knew, but even if they did they wouldn’t pry him.

Soarin eyed their food selections as he sat down. Fire and Wave had the same thing as him from the main line, Silver had a turkey sandwich, and Lightning had… twelve hot dogs. Soarin had no idea how Lightning wasn’t really fat. He ate like such a slob and was known for not always doing his solo training routines like he was supposed to, but he somehow stayed in shape. Silver always went for the sandwich line. Soarin didn’t blame him. After twenty-two years in the Wonderbolts he was probably sick to death of the normal food cycle. A custom made sandwich was his only escape from the monotony.

“HEY! WINDY!” Blaze’s voice suddenly came from behind Soarin. Some of them glanced up, but paid little attention as Blaze and High Winds trotted by with their food. “You smell that?” Blaze continued as the two of them comically sniffed the air.

“Huh? Hey… this smell…” Winds played along as the two of them slowly passed the stallion table.

“YES!” Blaze chimed back in. “It smells like a SAUSAGE FEST!” she finished before the two burst out laughing.

“Don’t act like you ain’t impressed!” Lightning quickly fired back casually as the two set up at the table beside theirs.

“Too much testosterone concentrated in one place… I can’t even see the table beyond you guys it’s so thick…” High Winds joked as she sat down and yawned. Lightning reached for his plate and grabbed one of the hot dogs out of its bun.

“Brother…” Fire tried to calmly stop Lightning, but it was too late.

“Fire in the hole!” Lightning yelled as he volleyed the hot dog over Silver and it hit Blaze right in the cheek. Fire sighed and shook his head, knowing exactly what this was going to instigate.

“Oh, this means war…” Blaze glared over towards the stallion table as the hot dog rolled off the table and fell on the floor.

“We almost lasted a week this time,” Wave commented as a single bit of corn flew over his head and bounced to a stop on the table.

“For the record, she started it… again…” Lightning commented as he ducked to let another piece of corn fly over his head.

“Says the stallion who threw a full hot dog…” Fire grumbled as he kept one eye on the other table. Blaze and High Winds were tossing one piece of corn at a time over at their table as they ate.

“Wow! Check out all the hunks over here!” Fleetfoot’s voice came from behind Soarin. Soarin glanced over his shoulder to see Fleetfoot walking side by side with Spitfire. Fleetfoot was walking so close to Spitfire, she was almost rubbing against her, and Spitfire was blushing madly.

“Stop it Fleet…” Spitfire calmly demanded.

“Wish I could Spitty, woo wee, a whole table full of 'em, YOW!” she kept making silly gestures and nudging Spitfire.

“Fleet, this isn’t funny!” Spitfire kept making quick glances towards the table. Soarin and the rest were all looking up at her now, except for Wave, who looked like he was trying really hard to keep focused on his food.

“Remember guys!” Fleetfoot suddenly addressed them while draping a hoof over Spitfire. “Keep the eyes up and forward in the showers!” she was clearly trying to hold in hysterical laughter. She yanked Spitfire to make her turn and face all of the stallions. She leaned into Spitfire’s ear and whispered. “You are now imagining a hot steamy shower with every single stallion you see in front of you… yes… even Silver.”

“AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!” Spitfire yelled out as she thrust her wing out and knocked Fleetfoot aside. Fleetfoot giggled uncontrollably as she struggled to keep everything balanced on her tray. Spitfire quickly made her way over to the mare table and sat down beside Blaze, hiding herself behind her half-sister.

“Sheesh Sis… just bang one of ‘em if it’s that bad.”

SHUT UP,” Spitfire growled while digging into her food ravenously. The stallions shrugged as another bit of corn landed in the middle of the table, fired by High Winds. They knew what was going on. They were all old enough to recognize a mare having mare issues.

A slightly devilish look suddenly crossed Lightning’s face as a bit of corn bopped off of his nose. He leaned in towards Wave Chill beside him.

“Hey… Chiller,” he spoke quietly. Wave Chill flinched, so focused on his food he was startled. He hacked and coughed a few times before grabbing his water and taking a long swig.

“Huh?” he finally replied as he panted and blinked. Lightning nudged him in the side.

“Your lady’s feeling it bro… you’ve got a clear path to some action, I envy you bro!” As he spoke, Wave’s eyes slowly grew wider and wider.

“Uh! What!? I… my lady?!” he struggled to find his composure. Wave was always known for being stoic and dutiful, but those that knew him well could easily break his shell. He wasn’t quite as hardnosed as Silver. “She’s… my commanding officer! I will do nothing of the sort!” He replied frantically but quietly enough that it wouldn’t reach the mare table.

“Your loss bro, she wants it right now… REALLY WANTS IT… like COMPLETELY—”

“I GET IT!” Wave hissed at him. “Just… argh! Leave me alone!” Wave grunted in frustration while blushing.

Lightning chuckled and leaned back in his chair while stuffing another hot dog into his mouth. He blinked as he saw Misty Fly walk by with a tray. She glanced at the stallions all sitting together and smiled warmly before continuing on to join the mares. Lightning quickly glanced at Fire and saw his eyes locked on target.

“I should go help and—” Fire quickly got up, but Lightning reached out and grabbed him.

“Whooooaaaaaaa Romeo… Misty’s a big pony, she can take care of herself,” he chuckled as he yanked Fire back down. “Stallion and mare time. You’ll get eaten alive if you go over there,” he joked. A piece of corn hit him right between the eyes.

“Score!” Blaze yelled triumphantly as Lightning blinked and sighed heavily.

“I tried playin’ the pacifist… time to return fire,” Lightning grabbed his napkin, balled it up, and dunked it in his water cup. Once it was nice and wet, he looked over towards the mare table and lazily tossed the wet napkin towards them.

His aim was way off. It hit Fleetfoot right in the cheek.

“WHO THREW THAT?!” she instantly stood up and looked towards the stallions as the wet napkin slowly peeled off her face and fell to the table. Lightning had ducked behind Fire, but both Silver and Fire casually leaned aside to reveal Lightning trying to conceal himself.

“Aw, you guys suck…” he sighed as Fleetfoot pointed sharply at him.

“You better watch your back,” she said while giving him a harsh, but slightly sinister glare.

Soarin chuckled and refocused on his food after Fleetfoot sat back down. His friends always found a way to keep his mind off of his own problems… but at the same time they were reminding him of them. He envied both Fire and Wave right now. Wave more or less had Spitfire in his life, and it was obvious Fire cared a little more for Misty Fly than he preferred to let on. Both scenarios were bombarding him with thoughts of Dash. He’d have to figure something out. Dash couldn’t stay angry at him, could she? She’d realize she was at fault, right? He hoped she would. He said everything he had to say. Any more would be… feeding into her unwillingness to accept responsibility.

Whatever, he just wanted Dash back. Less than a day had gone by since their disagreement, but the gap it left felt endless. He really didn’t want to think about it now though. What else was going on around him?

“You’ve been giving me the stink-eye the whole lunch hour Old Timer, what’s up?” Lightning chuckled as Silver rolled his eyes.

“All you kids are getting too fresh with the mares. Back in my day that wasn’t tolerated,” he put plainly. Fire blinked as he eyed Silver curiously.

“Pardon me Second Captain… but weren’t the former Lead Captains of the Wonderbolts… married?” Fire asked, referring to Blazetail and Flashwind. Silver nodded.

“Married and flirting are two different things. It’s not professional to engage in personal relationships within an important organization. Things have changed a lot,” Silver went on monotonously.

“Aw, come off it Grey-Mane,” Lightning reclined. “You can’t get on us for enjoying life! Mares make a stallion’s world go ‘round!”

HA!” Silver suddenly let one guffaw out as he shook his head. “That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all week… especially coming from you,” Silver continued to chuckled and set down his sandwich. “With your track record I’m surprised you know what a mare is! They avoid you like the plague.”

“Dunno where you’ve been lookin’ Geezer,” Lightning shrugged as he began motioning to his body. “It’s hard for them to resist this,” he slid his hooves up and down his chest. Silver cocked an eyebrow up.

“Could’ve fooled me son. From what I’ve seen, it could be raining pussy outside and you’d STILL get hit in the face with a dick!”

Soarin, Fire, and Wave all burst out laughing on the spot. Soarin nearly coughed up the chicken he had just swallowed, Fire shot water out of his nose, and Wave was face down in his pasta. All the mares (except Misty Fly) turned and stared with curiosity as the three stallions continued to laugh to their heart’s content. Silver still had a very straight look on his face with his eyebrow up and Lightning was shaking his head.

“That’s cold Old Timer, real cold,” Lightning commented. Silver went back to his sandwich.

“I rest my case,” said Silver as he took another bite. Lightning eyed Silver suspiciously.

“You know… you’ve got a quick wit and a creative head… I bet you were quite the lady chaser yourself a hundred years ago,” Lightning jabbed back while bouncing his eyebrows. Silver glared at the age comment, but beyond that… said nothing. Lightning noticed this. “Whoa, hold up… no response? Am I right?”

“Eat your hot dogs dumbass…” Silver quickly tried to deflect.

“HA! I knew it!” Lightning chuckled as Silver continued to ignore him.

Soarin finally managed to calm down. He had stopped laughing, but Silver’s comment had kept him within random fits of chuckles for a good minute. Again, he was glad he had something to distract him a little bit. Dash was on his mind, but he had other things he had to focus on at the same time. It was a nice release from his own problems.

“So Soarin, how’s the rainbow lady?” Lightning suddenly asked as Soarin was taking a drink.

Soarin spat out his drink. He looked up as his expression quickly turned from normal so a look of dread.

Rainbow Dash.

They…

They had a fight… and…

Soarin looked up to see all the stallions looking at him. Soarin quickly looked down at his plate. He still hadn’t finished half of his food, but his appetite was suddenly gone.

“Excuse me…” he quickly got up and left. He left his tray at the table and exited the mess hall as quickly as he could.

Lightning blinked in confusion as Wave, Fire, and Silver looked at him.

“Uh…” Lightning shrugged. “Was it something I said?” As soon as he finished a hoof smacked him upside the head. “Ow!” he turned and saw Fleetfoot glaring at him.

“As a matter of fact it was…” she looked towards the exit. “Just… don’t bring up Dash for a while, okay?” she said before glancing back at the mare table. Spitfire was already getting up to follow. Fleetfoot quickly moved back over and stopped her.

“Fleet, let me go to him,” she demanded. Fleetfoot shook her head.

“Not in your current state, Heat Pack,” she poked Spitfire in the stomach. “Besides, let him handle it. We don’t need to coddle him all the time.”

Spitfire looked past Fleetfoot one more time before giving up and sitting back down. Fleetfoot was right. Soarin needed to sort out his demons himself.


Dash didn’t know what to do.

She didn’t know what to do, where to go, or who to talk to. So she just flew. She flew in random directions with no destination in mind. Her only goal was to get away from what was bothering her… but even with that her brain was telling her otherwise, calling her a coward for not facing the issue. That and her cheeks hurt. Applejack was a bitch. Why did Applejack have to punch her? She was upset, did Applejack really think punching her in the face would make her feel better?

But… Applejack was still right…

Why did everything SUCK!?

Dash’s head was so cloudy she didn’t even realize she was nearly flying in circles. She hadn’t actually gone far from the barn, she was still within the vicinity of Sweet Apple Acres! Her head was spinning in circles, so it seemed that, consequently, she flew in circles.

How did everything happen? She did everything she was supposed to do! She trained herself hard. She became better, stronger, and faster. She showed up and showed the Wonderbolts everything she could do! It couldn’t have been something she did!

Arctic…

Arctic Blast… this was her fault… if not for her she surely would have gotten the elite spot. Soarin said it himself. Dash took down Arctic and that was what made him choose Storm over her… right? No… Soarin still had to decide. Arctic was hindering her in the course, and Dash took action against it! So it was Soarin's fault for not seeing things correctly! Right?!

But…

Either Spitfire or Fleetfoot had to choose against her as well for her not to get the spot… she couldn’t blame it on Soarin could she? He chose against her! HER! How could he do that?! He was…

He was just doing his job… a job that was important to him and he worked his entire life to achieve. No… she couldn’t blame it on Soarin.

It wasn’t Arctic’s fault, it wasn’t Soarin’s fault…

Storm Front…

It’s his fault! If he wasn’t at the tryouts, she'd have been chosen for sure! He…! He…

Oh dammit…

Who was she kidding?!

Dash slowed down considerably as the only real conclusion finally came to her.

She had no one to blame but herself.

Her chest felt tight as the reality of it sank in. She hadn’t even entertained the thought after the fight with Soarin. She had just been plain mad. She had felt like the whole damn world had done her wrong and basically walked around, shoving some of her best friends out of the way like they were part of the problem.

It took a punch to the face to get her mind working… but it looks like even Applejack was right in doing that. Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie, and of course Fluttershy would never thought of striking her… but Applejack knew her on a different level. Applejack knew her on a physical and toughness level. Getting punched in the face was exactly what it took to make her run through all of her dumb excuses and see that… in reality… it was her own fault.

Dash slowed to a stop and hovered in the air. She didn’t feel like flying anymore… not with how damn stupid she suddenly felt. She just wanted to sit or lay down, but she also really didn’t want to be seen. She was still over Sweet Apple Acres…

Apple tree it was. It didn’t look like any of the Apple siblings were out, so it was perfect. More than anypony else she didn’t want to see Applejack at the moment. As right as Applejack was, Dash still didn’t want to admit it to her.

Dash floated down to one of the trees and nestled herself between the leaves until she was among the branches. She found a nice branch and laid down on it.

How much…? How much stuff had Dash messed up in her angry hysterics? Well, for one she owed Fluttershy an apology. She shoved her… seriously, who shoves Fluttershy?! Dash felt like such a bitch for doing that. Second, she had to apologize to Scootaloo. Talk about a downer. Scootaloo was so supportive throughout everything and was the first one to greet her upon return… and Dash gave her the cold shoulder. A VERY cold shoulder. Scoots was her number one fan… how could she just push her aside?

What else had she—

Oh.

Right.

Soarin.

The gravity of everything really began to sink in. She… kinda yelled at him, said some awful things, and walked out. After everything and after how sweet and amazing he had been to her. One small thing happens and she throws all her anger at him. That wasn’t right. It wasn’t right at all.

But this was one place where she felt a little less like it was entirely her fault. He did snap back at her. She instigated it, but he did speak harshly towards her too. Even so, it wouldn’t have happened if she hadn’t been nasty to him in the first place.

But one thing was stabbing her. She walked out. She made a statement that challenged his love for her… and walked out. What was she going to do about that? Apologize? She wasn’t good at apologizing. She felt the need to, but at the same time she just couldn’t find it in herself to believe she was the only one at fault. Everything indicated that it was her fault… so why?! Why did her stupid brain still dig for reasons to think Soarin was part of the problem?!

“Here, I like this tree,” a voice from below made Dash flinch and stiffen. She remained still as she moved her eyes down. Applejack was right below her, smiling and looking back out towards the path. Before Dash could wonder what was going on, Thunderlane appeared in her view and trotted up towards Applejack.

“Looks like the rest of the trees,” Thunderlane joked as Applejack gave him a playful jab.

Shit.

Dash did her best not to grumble or groan. She didn’t want to be near anypony. She began trying to make subtle movements for a silent takeoff.

“So ya… made it through, huh?” Applejack spoke. Dash froze.

“Yeah, I still can’t believe I did. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about it cause I’m still a bit in shock myself,” Thunderlane chuckled.

“I mean look at you! Don’t tell me they ain’t there! Ya may have dark fur but I can tell yer real beat up,” Applejack pouted at him with a stern look on her face. Thunderlane looked away and his eyes darted back and forth.

“Eh… it’s not that b—YEOW!” Thunderlane yelped as Applejack poked a spot on his shoulder that was clearly a little swollen.

“Yer real beat up… I don’t like that,” she looked at him with concern. “I also don’t like that yer goin’ back… it’s gonna be even harder now! I don’t want ya to get hurt real bad!”

“Applejack, it means a lot to me that you’re so worried about me and all, but you’ve gotta understand…” he sat down below the tree and Applejack sat right down beside him. “I would have never even dreamed of being in this position. I have a chance to do something most pegasi will never get the chance to… I may have stumbled in ungracefully, but I’m in and I have an opportunity. I’d be crazy to pass this up.”

Dash listened to Thunderlane’s speech… and found herself thinking again.

An opportunity.

Just like Twilight had said. Dash didn’t listen to Twilight at all… dismissing her due to not understanding or being in her situation… but now she was hearing it from Thunderlane.

More reality began to hit her in the face. Sure she didn’t get the elite spot… but neither did Twister, Matteo, Little Star, or Squall. They all looked happy to have just made it… or at least they all showed their own way of being happy. All she could think of was being cheated out of the elite spot. What about the other 279 cadets that were turned away? They all dreamed of being Wonderbolts… but they didn’t make it. She did.

Wow… now on top of it all, she felt ungrateful. Every course of action she took after the elite spot selection was dropped felt like the right course of action. Now everything she did was slowly feeling like the worst possible decision.

Could all of this been avoided had she just stopped and thought about it first?

“I… I know. Thunderlane, I ain’t gonna lie. I’m real proud of ya,” Applejack said while reaching up and pulling her hat slightly down on her face. “In fact… I wasn’t expectin’ much of anything… but ya proved me wrong… again. It’s just like when we first met all over again. I don’t give ya enough credit.”

“Aw, thanks,” Thunderlane blushed slightly with a smile. Applejack tipped her hat up just enough to reveal her eyes and a small blush of her own.

“Yer always full of surprises and… I love that. I really do,” she yanked her hat back down.

“C’mon A.J…” Thunderlane reached a wing over and easily removed her hoof’s grip from her hat, removing it slowly from her head. “You don’t need this with me, remember?”

“Sorry,” she looked up at him, blushing a little harder. “I still ain’t very good at this romance thing… I’m tryin’ though.”

“The effort is what counts, trust me,” Thunderlane winked. Applejack smiled, but then looked away.

“But… now yer gonna be gone for what… a month?” she suddenly asked while biting her lower lip.

“Maybe more if I’m selected to be an on compound recruit,” Thunderlane frowned, knowing where this was going.

“I…” Applejack sighed. “I barely lasted three days without ya…”

“Applejack…” Thunderlane reached over and tipped her head up. “I don’t like being apart from you either… but backing down from this would surely destroy the pride you feel for how far I’ve managed to come. I’m going to try hard for both of us. If hell freezes over and I become a full Wonderbolt, that’s a lot of bits I’ll be earning. You can bet I will have the farm in mind when it comes to spending it,” he smiled. Applejack’s eyes widened.

“Thunderlane! Ya don’t have ta—”

“Why not?” he cut her off. “You’re an important part of my life. Besides, if it’s my money, I get to chose what to do with it. Don’t forget what happened last time you tried to deny my help?” he smirked at her. Her brow flattened, but she smiled.

“Yeah, ya barged on in on my business and begged at my hooves,” she chuckled. Thunderlane rolled his eyes.

“You make it sound so pathetic,” he chuckled along with her.

Dash felt like she was going to throw up in her mouth. These two were so cheesy. Applejack would probably lay an egg if she knew Dash was seeing this. At the same time though… Dash’s heart was feeling heavier and heavier as she watched the two interact.

“It was a little…” Applejack smiled. “But that was special… and…” she twiddled her hooves together. “And I… still love thinkin’ about it. I just don’t know what I’m gonna do when yer gone fer so long and—” she was hushed by Thunderlane’s wing.

“Just get over here already,” he smiled. Applejack’s eyes widened for a moment, only to revert to a dreamy gaze as she and Thunderlane leaned in.

Dash felt her heart ache as they slowly closed the gap between them and kissed softly.

Dash could think of only one thing.

Soarin.

I don’t think… I really, truly show you how much I love you enough…

Dash felt her throat tighten as Applejack and Thunderlane kissed more than once.

Just let me look at you… enjoy you…

Dash kept her eyes locked on the couple below her.

But I feel like you need to be told… just how beautiful you are…

Thunderlane caressed Applejack’s face as he pulled away briefly to look into her eyes.

I need to tell you how lost I get in your eyes…

They were being so soft… and so gentle…

I want to be soft… and gentle… because you’re just that special to me…

“I love you Applejack…” Thunderlane said quietly to her.

I love you so much, Dashie…

Tears.

Tears were falling down Dash’s face.

What had she done?

What… What did she do?

Soarin poured his heart and soul into his words to her two nights ago… then the next day Dash treated him like an obstacle… how… how could she do that? Why did she do that?!

She remembered how it felt. She remembered how amazing it felt when Soarin said all those words to her. When he was gentle with her… when he expressed his love in a way that was so romantic and honest. It was so strange to her, but it felt so good. It felt beyond good, it felt incredible. But… oh right… what did she say to him the next day?

I thought I meant something to you… You do so much for me and then bar me from my dream… you… are a sick BASTARD!

Dash slammed her eyes tight, but failed to keep the tears from squeaking out between her eyelids.

No.

This was wrong.

This is not how she wanted things.

She had to fix it.

She couldn’t stand watching Applejack and Thunderlane kissing. It was the last thing she needed to see to make her realize exactly what she had done.

It was almost as if she completely disregarded Soarin’s love and care in favor of her own personal goals… how the hell could she do that? She had to fix it… She wanted to feel the love again like she had two nights ago. Call it uncharacteristic of her, but being loved so intensely was unlike any other feeling she had ever felt.

But…

Could she fix it? Had she done too much damage? Would he forgive her?

Soarin was pretty stubborn… and so was she. So first she had to muster up the courage to bow her head and apologize… but then if and when she did… would he accept it?

What a mess.

Dash quickly got up and took off from the branch. Tears whipped from her face as she frantically moved. She disregarded the possibility of being seen or heard. She didn’t know or care if the two noticed her, she just had to get away.

What a slap to the face… or in this case a punch. Applejack’s punch really put everything into perspective for her. Dash was confident she had never screwed up more in her life. This time it wasn’t even a competition… it was her own stupid emotions and her own stupid impulsive behavior. Perhaps this was the most important test of all in her becoming a Wonderbolt.

Learning to accept her failures.

She failed. She failed in reaching her personal goal… but she pinned the failure on others. It led to more problems than she felt she could handle. It was up to her and only her to set things right.

But there was so much to set right.

HOW ABOUT YOU SIT AND THINK ABOUT SOMETHING FOR ONCE?!

Soarin was absolutely right. There was no fast way to fix this. She had a lot to fix… but she was going to do it one step at a time.

She would start by apologizing to Fluttershy and Scootaloo. Then when she returned to the compound in a week… she would assess the situation and find out how to handle things with Soarin…

And she was hoping… sweet Celestia, she was hoping he’d quickly accept it… but she wasn’t going to hold her breath.

---To be Continued---

Author's Note:

okay before ANYTHING ELSE is said...

I want everyone to give Scootafail a round of applause for making BOTH of those pics for me on such short notice.

*pauses for clapping to die down*

HEY! ALL! I'm back! Sorry for the slightly longer wait than expected. Everyone was all so kind and patient with me about taking a week off i felt like i needed to give you guys a little extra treat. So i went to my very good friend Scootafail and requested some illustrations to go along with it. And WOW she did them fast! :O

So it looks like Dash finally realized what she had done... we make mistakes in life, but if we dont accept them and learn from them, we will never grow. It's a lesson Dash learned the hard way and it wont be easy for her to mends what she has broken... but she is damn well going to try.

Also (incoming shameless self-promotion (at least i admit it)): Curious about the romance between Applejack and Thunderlane? It all happened in my fic that takes place between Flying Sky High and Piercing the Heavens. The Weight of Responsibility (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/164303/the-weight-of-responsibility) There is some light Soarindash in it as well as Soarin becomes a minor character about halfway through ;) (be warned though, this fic was written before i had Kestrel... so it's most likely full of small errors >_<... the difference a good editor can make huh?)

It's good to be back! i hope to get back on my regular writing groove :3 so hopefully i'll have the next chapter out in a few days :)

I hope you enjoyed!

Thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next