• Published 1st Nov 2011
  • 13,019 Views, 951 Comments

Stories in Stone, Luna's Royal Guard. - TDR



The Gardens of Canterlot contain more than their fair share of stories. And more creatures than just Discord.

  • ...
49
 951
 13,019

PreviousChapters Next
Strawberry Pop Rocks, Part 1 [15] [E]

Stories in Stone
Luna's Royal Guard.
By TDR

Strawberry Pop Rocks
part 1

“Spike if we have to go through this every year I am going to stop even getting you a book.” Twilight grumbles.

“I said I was sorry Twilight, I think I’ve apologized to everyone in town at least fifteen times each. You even said you forgave me.” Spike whines.

“That was before I realized I would have to climb a freaking mountain to get my books and research back. When you took everything from the side room you took the sword and scroll as well.”

“I clearly was not in my right mind then. I don't even want to look at that thing normally. “

“Almost there at least… Hey is that Pinkie Pie? HEY PINKIE!!”

The pink pony perks up looking over the top of a rather large covered wagon. She yelps seeing the two and hops on top of the cart, kicking off riding it down the mountain side away from them. Twilight sighs as Spike fusses.

“See, even Pinkie Pie is still mad at me.” Spike grumbles.

“Umm, I am sure she will get over it Spike. Though that didn't seem like a' I'm mad' reaction anyway. Though if my books are covered with cake, you are going to be grounded more than a few weeks.”

“Gaaaaaah....”

===================================================

It took them the rest of the day and well into the next to get everything back to the library and put it all away where it was supposed to go. They went to bed half finished and woke early to take care of the rest of it. The pony construction crews had already started with the library and the town hall, seeing as they were public works buildings, and as such they had a direct line of credit from the Princess to pay for everything.

Applejack had turned out to be much less annoyed than every other pony at Spike's antics. Despite a few damaged apple trees the whole field had been ripe for the harvest and Spikes picking them all had saved her and Big Mac a great deal of work. Rarity also did not have any real problems with the mess he caused. Aside from grabbing her he had left Carousel Boutique mostly intact and the one hole he put in the wall was the perfect size for a new picture window. Pinkie was furious still, but the Cakes were a little more understanding. It may have been that when Spike got larger he destroyed Pinkie's room on the top floor completely. Rainbow Dash had been more amused than anything else and Fluttershy was quick to forgive him after he apologized.

Spike had spent most of the day grumbling and helping Twilight. Not at the work but mostly at himself and how to make Pinkie stop hating him. About noon he finally had enough and passed out, giving Twilight the chance to wipe the framed Rarity kiss off his cheek before it wound up looking like the last one. He likely would be mad, but at least he was clean. The door was suddenly pushed open and a Pink pony bounded in, spotted Spike asleep, and landed soundlessly in an attempt to be quiet.


“Oh Spike's asleep early.” Pinkie comments

“Hmm, hello Pinkie. What are you doing here?” Twilight asks picking up the little dragon and moving him to the couch out of the way.

“Well I kinda wanted to just forgive Spike already, I know it was not really his fault and I have been kinda a grouchy grouch since he attacked Sugercube corner. But now that every things back to normal I wanted everything to be back to normal. Besides you and Rarity both say he wasn’t really in control of himself and since you two know more about magic than I do and a giant Spikasarus Rex was clearly magical in nature I figured that you two would know best.” Pinkie rambles.

“Ummmm.”

“Plus with the damage done, the Cakes are taking a vacation with the excess insurance money, I had no idea they insured Sugarcube Corner for THAT many Bits. But it will be a week before they get it all rebuilt and......... WAAAAH TWILGHT IVE GOT NO WHERE TAH GOOOO. Applejack's got all the other homeless ponies in town staying with her, and Fluttershy's got all the animals that were displaced, Rarity is staying with her parents till they fix her bedroom wall, I can't walk on the clouds to ask Rainbow......” Pinkies mood swung from chipper to bawling in less than an eye blink.

“Well I can put a bed down in the basement if you need a place to stay .... wait wheres Gummy?”Twilight sighs her ears flattening.

“He's staying with Fluttershy, I didn't know where was gonna wind up so I found a spot for him first. He and Angel seem to get along rather well.”

“That's a first, something other than Fluttershy getting along with Angel. Well at least I don't have to worry about my bathwater being occupied. Sure Pinkie you can stay it will be nice to have the company , plus you can keep an eye on me when I study.”

Twilight gasps as shes glomped by her friend who giggled bouncing back to the door.

“OOOh, the sword thing. I can do that, I remember how to use the gem … I think. Let me get my stuff.”

Pinkie darts off returning a moment or so later with a few suitcases, but nothing even close to the massive cart she had before.

“I expected a bit more.”

“Oh well most everything is in the shed behind SugerCube Corner. Trust that old thing to hold up when the rest of the town gets trashed. I plan to check back every day to make sure every things alright with the repair ponies. This stuffs just my scarf some socks and Granny Pie's cooking supplies.”

“Weren’t you watching something for some pony?”Twilight asks.

“WHO TOLD YOU?!?” Pinkie bellows before calming down in a flash.”…. I mean … yes.....It's OK though I plan to go back and check on it every day as well.”

“What is it ?”

“Ummmmmm, a thing....”

“Well I suppose if you don't want to tell me that's fine. Must be important if its got you serious.”

“I don't really like keeping things from my friends, but this one I kinda have too, at least for now.”

“Every pony has secrets Pinkie, there's no problem with that unless they turn out to be dangerous.”

“Yeah this one is not that, so no worries there.” Pinkie forces a chuckle.

Twilight glanced back at her friend who had gone hopping down the stairs to the basement with her luggage. That last bit sounded less sincere than she was comfortable with. As far as she knew though Pinkie however had been watching this thing for the last few months and nothing had come of it aside it took up a good bit of her time.

She sighed setting up the blade to be studied She was tired, but no where near enough to go to bed in the middle of the day or take a nap. Pinkie moving in would take a bit of time and the Pink Pony had agreed to check on her every so often to make sure she was alright. She also planned to do a bit of cooking while she had the chance, after Twilight showed her where everything was in her small kitchen.

Twilight cast the spell as Pinkie continued to bounce about, feeling herself pulled into the blade.

*************************************************************************


The stars and windows surrounded her again, she stretched out, feeling the soft tug on her magic from the action and smiling. This place felt comfortable, a bit too comfortable for her to relax her guard any, but there did not seem to be any threats. She paused, staring, watching a pink star bounce rapidly across her field of vision. She turned following it as it lept spasticly around her head and the area close to her..... was that, Pinkie Pie? This place confused her even more now, but yes that was definitely Pinkie Pie, she could feel it.

That realization threw her unicorn theory out the window, then again this was Pinkie Pie so maybe it didn't. That mare was a whole lot of impossible rolled into a burrito enigma and topped with mystery sauce.

Maybe she should have eaten before attempting to study.


She blinks turning her head about trying to focus a little more, looking for specific stars,

A pure white star to her far left that seemed to glimmer as extravagantly as possible, that felt like Rarity.

A softly glowing yellow star behind her surrounded by smaller sparks of light, Fluttershy.

A brilliant blue burning star That kept moving everywhere and leaving streaks of light behind it., Rainbow Dash.

A steady orange star that did not seem to even flicker, AppleJack.

She looked again searching, but could not find Spike's any where. She got a bit worried before deciding to ignore it for later. She knew he was alright. She had yet to figure this place out and getting worried over something that was probably nothing was not going to help her figure anything else out.
Besides first things first, one field of study at a time.

Twilight exhales and dives into Jer'rahd's mirror shard.

========================================

[ Empty room set up for the groups return.]


“WHAT!!??” Jer'rahd yells.
“OH NO, CLOUD DANCER!!” Starfall freaks
[“TEN YEARS!?!”] Velkorn stammers.
“NO WAY!” Bleu yelps.
“Hmm this means all those cute underage mares should be hot and legal now.” Rhede mutters.

The entire group turned glaring at Rhede who backs up a step .

“Err, I mean, OH NO!!” Rhede placates.

Luna shakes her head glaring at her sister who seemed to be struggling with trying to keep a straight face and loosing.

“Amusing Tia, but I do not believe you.” Luna deadpans.

The Alicorn Princess of the Sun finally could not hold back any more, and fell over onto the floor laughing hysterically at the expressions on the others faces. Luna simply sighs rubbing her forehead with her hoof muttering to herself about her sisters pranks, after a moment though a evil grin crosses the dark mares face.

Jer'rahd blinks having just barely noticed the grin before her face adopted it's usual some what bored expression. The Princess was up to something.

“I suppose you want to hear about the trip then Celestia? At least when you can stop your laughing long enough to hear me.” Luna sighs. “It was a success, we retrieved the book as well as others, though that trick of yours struck rather close to some of the problems we had there. Some of them did involve a bit of time alteration. Hence why it was so easy to fall for your joke of a ten year lapse.”

“Oh? “ Celestia chuckles.

“Indeed. I suppose I should start by introducing you to your niece.”Luna states.

“My what?” Celestia blinks.

Celestia sat up slowly finally noting the unconscious form on the floor under Luna's wards. Her amusement died off rather quickly as she took in the sight of Nocturne's horn and wings. Her gaze shifts from the alicorn to Luna, then back to the alicorn, taking note of the coloration of the new mare's mane and tail. She then looks to Jer'rahd who simply shrugs.

“It seems we got along a great deal better than expected Princess Celestia. Or am I allowed to call her sister in law now Luna?” Jer'rahd asks.

Luna twitched a little bit, barely keeping a straight face, though thankfully Celestia was too focused on Jer'rahd and Nocturne to notice the small slip. Luna was reveling in the sight of her gobsmacked sister.
“Please close your mouth Tia, you might swallow a bug.

The stunned Sun Princess tried to say something as her mouth moved but no words came out as she simply shifted her gaze between the three.

Jer'rahd turned to the others, Noting Starfall was looking a little better after the teleportation.

“Alright everyone, we're back, Luna and I will handle the mission debriefing the rest of you take care of what you need to, grab some food, and get some sleep, dismissed.“ Jer'rahd orders.

Bleu and Rhede both hesitated wanting to see the fallout that would happen when Celestia caught onto the joke.

Starfall and Velkorn were more eager to leave and drug the other two away with them, as they did not want to see what Celestia might do to retaliate for this prank. Jer'rahd's off sided grin was easily seen by the two mares and taken as a sign to run before they got dragged into this.

Jer'rahd evidently thought the whole thing funny and was willing to pay for it. Luna leans over whispering into his ear.

“You know she's going to throw you into the lake for this?”

“Totally worth it.”

====================================================
[ North of Canterlot, further up the Maneterhorn.]

Jer'rahd had finally stopped laughing at Celestia's reaction about the time he hit the thin ice covering the surface of a lake, one much further up the side of the mountain than he had expected to be tossed into. After pulling himself out of the water and working to dislodge a half frozen fish from a shoulder spike he took note that aside from the mouth the armor seemed water proof as well. Of course he was still likely to drown if he swam in the heavy gear, but it was a nice touch that increased his appreciation of Luna's skill.

He shifted his gaze to the Castle just barely visible further down the mountain. This was going to be a rather long walk.

He chuckles to himself as he sets off fatigue finally starting to set in. Hopefully he could make it back before it got too bad..

================================================

[ Celestia's Chambers. ]

Luna had seated herself on a cushioned bench across the table from her sisters lavish chair. Her glowing hair still weakly fluttering in the unseen wind. Most would not have noticed anything odd about her hair, but Celestia had known her sister long enough to notice the oddity in her mane.

Celestia was fuming, not because her sister and Jer'rahd had gotten one over on her, she had forgiven the pair right after she flung the unicorn out the window, no, Celestia was ranting and pissed off for a different reason, Discord.

There was a rather storied history between the two that Luna disliked mentioning. Anytime it came up Tia tended to get mad and go quiet or get mad and get very loud depending on who she was talking too. Luna knew many of the details, though not all of them.

“Will you calm down Tia. Discord is still sealed in stone and his machine is now destroyed thanks to Bleu.“ Luna sighs.

“You say that oh so calmly to me sister, but you have brought back proof that he could make alicorns, ALICORNS. That mare is NOT a pegicorn or other mix. HE MADEA GOD LUNA! He might have made more that are in hiding. Then there are those books.”

“We could not have left them there. If we made it to his castle others could as well. And they might have used them. At least now we know where they are. The machine needed the blood of one of us to create ones such as Nocturne and with it destroyed that option is not available. It did not create a god from nothing it grew one.”

“That shouldn't be possible. There should only ever be two pony gods.”

“It was Discord. You know as well as I do that most rules did not apply to him.” Luna sighs.

“How were you weakened enough to even allow your blood to be taken Even taken by surprise you should have been fast enough to … wait...... that armor... you made that armor the General was wearing didn't you. I thought it felt familiar, and far to potent to be Guard issue. Exactly how much of your magic did you put into that suit?”

“Enough to revert me. The loss of his gear was a convenient excuse.” Luna states.

“What sort of excuse justifies putting yourself in that much risk? You could have been killed!” Celestia rants.

“I was nearly killed at full power by a Bone Hound god. Until Nocturne was created there were no other gods ever recorded in the Dark lands.”Luna snorts. “You asked me to get them to trust me. You yourself have complained at how difficult it is to make friends when they are intimidated by your being a god. We may not have the time for them to get over that fear on their own. Starfall and Velkorn might never have done so if our association progressed naturally. I needed them to see me as a friend, one with my own problems and issues, not as a immortal goddess.”

“That was reckless.”Celestia grumbles.

“ How is that new for me? And it worked. I might have been weaker than I would have liked while there, but the armor I crafted for the General more than made up for any physical weakness of mine. Particularly since he is the type who seems willing to throw himself in the way of anything that would harm his friends.” Luna smirks.

“Are you sure it was that, or was it because you are the Princess?”

“That much I do not know, but I know more about them now and they know more about me. As painful of a revelation as they was.” Luna sighs.”At the very least this makes your plan for the Elements plausible now.”

“Only if you start to feel the same way about them as they do you Lulu. Friendship does need to go both ways, even you should remember that.”

“I do.”

“I am still not comfortable with those three books being here together. Where they were was surrounded by leagues of unforgiving and confusing hostile land that never stayed the same. Here they are protected by fallible ponies and the two of us. We cannot watch them all the time.”

“Here they are protected by the fact no pony knows they are here save us and the General. He knows more about magic than his poor casting abilities let on. But even he did not feel the power coming from the books. He might not consider them anything. In truth the Book of Blue isn't anything, but the other two...”

“You seem to put a great deal of faith in him sister. Maybe something did happen hmm? You both were rather coordinated in that joke you pulled on me.” Celestia grins wide.

“He took a blast of magic for me..... granted he also crashed head long into me, and then stopped me from being crushed by falling rocks. He also killed a Tank, by himself. I can say I am quite impressed to have seen him in action.”

“I believe all of it, but the Tank. I mean seriously what would he have done, let it eat him then choke it to death?” Celestia snorts. “ Those things are ridiculous.

“Actually Tia...””Luna chuckles.

============================================

[ North gate, two hours after Jer'rhad's departure.]


“HALT STATE YOUR BUISSNESS .” Shouts a voice from the Guard tower.

“Bed... ” Jer'rahd mutters with a yawn.

“WHAT?” The tower Guard yells back.

“Nothing, what did you want?” Jer'rahd asks looking up at the half hidden tower Guard.

“I SAID STATE YOUR BUISSNESS WITH CANTERLOT.” The Guard repeats.

Jer'rahd glanced behind him as if trying to figure out who the gate guard was talking too before his exhausted brain realized he was still in the bone armor Luna made. The walk had been far longer than he thought it would have been. There had been a lot of doubling back and working his way down cliffs,He could barely form a shield now. The teleport, the fighting in the Dark Lands, and now the long march back to Canterlot had him dead on his hooves, his day should have ended hours ago.

“My name is General Jer'rahd Kaisur, solider. Open the damned gate.” He shouts back just wanting the day to end.

“I will need to see some confirmation of that....... sir.” the last bit was a little sarcastic, but Jer'rahd let it go though he twitches at the realization of something.

“My ID is in my other suit of armor.” Jer'rahd calls back. “That was eaten by parasprites.....”

“ Yes , yes ,of course. Your 'other' suit of horrific armor of death, I should have known.” The Guard shouts back. “Pull the other one, it has bells..”

Jer'rahd growls his magic gripping the bone helm pulling it free letting the armor crash to the ground around him. “ Look at my blasted cutiemark! Who else has a mark like this?”

“You could be a Changeling!”

“ What are you six?Those are freaking creatures from foals tales.” Jer'rahd growls as he glares up at the peagsus on the wall his red eye glowing weakly. “ If you're gonna make up imaginary monsters at least make up some good ones!”

Jer'rahd sighs rubbing a hoof through his short mane trying to calm down.

“There is doing your job solider, and then there’s being a dick about it. Your skirting way too close to the latter. Go get the watch commander.” Jer'rahd sighs. “It should be Gibbs today , he can ID me. Though seriously do you not read the paper?”
“I'm not allowed to leave my post.”

“Well then send the runner.”

“The runner is....... busy.”

“There's supposed to be at least three ponies at every gate what the heck is going on up there.”

“Mind your own business.”

“That IS my own business!”

“I'm done talking to you,you freaking Changeling monster skeleton pony thing. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.”

“That was a taunt?”

“Yes.”

“That’s it you little shit, I am done with this crap.” Jer'rahd growls his eye flaring red.

He puts the helm back on, armor closing about his form once more as he snorts glaring up at the obliviously amused guard.

“If you can't send a runner colt, then you better sound the damned alarm because i am coming inside and going home to bed whether you like it or not!”

===================================================

[Medical room Canterot Castle.]

Rhede lifts his head up from the bed curiously, his ears perking.

“Is that the alarm Velkorn?” He questions wincing as the mare pulls a bandage tight around his ribs.

“That is indeed the alarm, you are staying here though, before you do yourself more harm.” She comments looking down at him in annoyance.

“Hey, I'm fine............. whoa crap did!” Rhede blinks turning from her stare. “ Did Jer teach you one of his death glare things? Ugh, Right, fine I'll stay in bed. But that better not be important.”

“We are in the middle of Canterlot, you don't need to fight everything, let the Guards have their shot.” Velkorn grumbles.

==================================================

[ General Kaisur's Residence]

Bleu lifted her head at the annoying sound she heard, looking curiously at the alarm clock ticking away at the side of her bed. She hadn't realized she was this tired until she made it back to Boss's place and pushed past the piles of invites and junk mail that had been shoved in the mail slot on the door. After that she had pretty much immediately found her bed and crashed in it pulling a small worn pony doll to her chest as she curls up to sleep.

As the alarm didn't seem to be ringing and the sound was apparently outside she pulled her pillow over her head and went back to sleep.


==============================================================

[Silvertail residence. ]

“Oh my goddess, you got your cutie mark sweetie! Eeeeeeeeee that's so cute! We need to have a party and invite all your school friends and ….”

Starfall continued to rant on practically floating around the house with her daughter, barely pausing for breath as the filly giggles along with her as the pair spin about in circles. The little filly giggling along with her mothers excitement, a white cloud shaped like a dancing pony now gracing her flank.

The alarm was not even heard by any of them in the room.

==============================================

[ Canterlot, Mare's Hoof road]

Jer'rahd barely noticed the plink of arrows and a few smaller attack spells bouncing off his armor, not even registering that he was being attacked. The rage that had built up at the gate Guard had all been used up when he smashed through the great wooden gate door.

In all honesty he had expected to bounce off the door and look a fool right as he was rushing at it. Those things were designed to withstand blows from siege weaponry, that he smashed a massive hole in one from just shoulder checking it likely meant something was wrong with the construction.

Well it was a good thing he found the defect before they really needed it. Maybe the replacement would be better built, stupid fund cutting nobles.

As the armored pony trudged through town he was only dimly aware of the alarms and of ponies yanking their foals inside, blinds closing and shop keepers swinging their signs around to the 'closed' position.

Perhaps it had something to do with the annoying rain that was hitting him. Maybe it was a light hail?The only thing that mattered to him was that the streets were clear and he could trudge home in piece.


==========================
[ Canterlot, Luna's Chambers.]

Luna had dozed off and was stirred a little by the alarm. She opened her eyes briefly looking around without lifting her head. Tia had taken Nocturne to the Garden until there was time to study her and possibly remove Discord's influence on her mind. Luna was not hopeful about that last bit herself, Celestia did always try peace first however, which was odd given how she was during the Discordian wars.

After a few moments of no one coming in to alert her to anything going on, she closed her eyes again and pulled a pillow over her head, figuring it for some sort of exercise drill.

On the other side of the door half a dozen Royal Guards were having a heated, but very quiet, argument about which one was going to go wake the sleeping Goddess of War.

=============================================

[ Canterlot, Officer's barreks Kaisur residence. ]

Jer'rahd looked up at the door to his quarters with a sigh as another arrow bounced off his armor. He had stopped noticing them about three blocks back. He had also dozed off on his hooves once and come to a complete stop in the middle of the street, only to wake up and continue walking when a group of ponies somewhere shouted something about 'stopping the monster' or something like that.

Probably some new slang term or something.

He glared at the locked door to the small house he and Bleu had been assigned while in Canterlot. They wanted to give him something bigger, but since he didn't really own anything anyway he didn't need anything else. Most of the place was stuffed with Bleu's things or random useless junk he had collected.... like medals.

Keys, his house keys had been eaten as well. He smacked his head against the door in annoyance and was surprised when the door broke open at the barely felt impact. He regarded the broken lock still attached to the frame of the door a second and sighed about shoddy construction every where today. Shaking his head he pushed the door open further and moves inside sliding the dead bolt closed to secure the door behind him as the handle lock was now useless.

Moving down the hall he pulled off the helm letting the armor fall to the floor as his magic failed. He'd pick that up later when he woke up...., he sniffs the air dipping his head down to his chest and sniffs again before wincing, and a bath.

He had not been this tired since basic. Climbing onto his bed he practically collapsed atop of it, out cold before the bed springs stopped creaking from his landing.

=====================================

Outside the entire city Guard currently had the house and several blocks around it surrounded. Most of the gathered Guards were looking at each other with worry after having watched the creature shrug off blows that would have killed a dragon.

No one was entirely sure who the house belonged to General Kaisur was the last known occupant , but he had been moved closer uptown when he was promoted, the place should have been empty according to records.

One guard went up to the door to listen at it and then took off running just as suddenly at the rumbling snore from the dragonling in the side room. The sound echoing like a beasts growl.

=================================

[Canterlot Castle Training grounds, the next day. ]

Jer'rahd blocks Starfall's swing, lashing out with a fore hoof kick she easily hoped over.

Bleu sat off to the side telling a story to Velkorn.

[“..... So they finally get the nerve to bust in, smashing in through the windows and the door and one even blasted a hole through the roof of all things. The all busted in blades drawn shouting orders and screaming about surrendering, expecting some invincible monster. The noise wakes me up as they are trashing the place. Some pony grabs me and then come across boss, still out cold in bed. Boss finally seems to hear them shouting orders to lay down on the ground and put his fore hooves behind his head and wakes up just enough to place a order for a pint of ale before falling back asleep.”] Bleu smirks in rambling on in Zebra. [“The group ties him and me up, throws us into a sky cart and carries us back to the Guard base to throw us into the strongest cell they have. Boss stays asleep the whole time not even ordering a chaser for his drink. About an hour later the watch commander gets there to take a look at the prisoner who had the whole of Canterlot Guard in a panic because no one could find the Princesses. Well later some one said they found one but they were afraid to wake her, I figure it was Luna. Anyway the watch commander takes one look in the cell, sees Boss and me, recognizes us both immediately , because he evidently has read a paper in the last six months, and flips the buck out. “]

Bleu makes a wild gesture waving her fore claws in the air and mock screaming.

[“He calls the entire company of Royal Guard and any one else he can get and sends all of them to fix the mess they made of our place. Then he gets some unicorns to gently move boss as carefully as they can, back to the house and into bed as quickly as possible. Hours later, boss wakes up on his own, back at home and spends a couple of hours trying to figure out who cleaned the place while we were gone and then he thanks me for fixing the front door before heading to the kitchen to get something to eat.”]

[“You must be joking he cannot sleep that heavily or be that dense.”] Velkorn snorts.

[“Swear on Rhede's flank.”] Bleu chuckles.

[“So it that where you got the bucket of gems?”] Velkorn questions.

[“Yep, a little gift from the watch commander so I would not tell the General what happened when he woke up.”] Bleu cackles.


“They are talking about me again.” Jer'rahd grumbles, knocking aside a blow from Starfall's sword.

“How can you even tell? I thought you didn't speak Zebra?” Starfall asks hopping back a few paces as Jer'rahd bounds after her.

“My name sounds the same in Zebra. So then, what's bothering you now Starfall?” Jer'rahd questions around the grip of the blade held in his mouth.

“You're imaging things.” Starfall snorts. “ There's nothing wrong with me.”

“Bleu, score?” Jer'rahd calls.

“Fifteen to twelve boss. You're actually pretty close for once.” Bleu comments.

“You're distracted Starfall. Badly.” Jer'rahd states, his wooden sword slapping against Starfall's leg getting a wince from the armored mare before the two move back to their starting positions to begin again.

“You could have just gotten better.” Starfall grumbles.

“Or you got a great deal worse.” Jer'rahd corrects,jerking his head back to dodge a sword swing.

“Hey now!” Starfall grumbles darting forward only to bounce away from a hastily raised shield.

“Spill it Starfall.”

“She feels responsible of Rhede, She is the reason he was nearly dead.” Velkorn calls out.

Starfall winces as Jer'rahd and Bleu look between the two. Jer'rahd's eyes narrow as he looks back to Starfall leveling his training blade at her and continuing the spar.

“Since she's not explaining Velkorn, how bout you tell us since you seem to know.” Jer'rahd asks.

“Fine!..damn it, you ponies are a pain sometimes.” Starfall swears. “ By the stars, Rhede killed some creature that I thought was my daughter. I did not react 'well' to that. I attacked him, beat the crap out of him, and nearly killed him. I think I knew it was not Cloud Dancer, but at the time, all I could see was Rhede's dagger sticking out of her throat. I just lost control and attacked him. I barely managed to stop myself from killing him.”

Bleu and Jer'rahd simply stare at her as Velkorn nods.

“He said he forgave her, but her self pity it has yet to deter.” Velkorn mentions

“I nearly killed a friend over nothing. So far no ponies felt any thing but sorry for me and I cannot handle... GAAAKK!!” Starfall yelps.

Jer'rahd didn't say anything, but he simply belted her up side the head with the training sword. She glared back at him and he pelts her with the weapon again.

“Boss?” Bleu questions.

“What are you!? OW!” Starfall yelps as her shoulders hit with the sword.

“This is new, what is he doing Bleu?” Velkorn asks

Another few blows smack into her sides and shoulders, the slap of wood on flesh all that's heard until she dodges one after about eight good hits. He swings again guiding the blade with his magic, his face still dead pan as she knocks this one aside.

“What the buck are you doing Jer'rahd?!?” Starfall yells.

“Curious about that myself boss.” Bleu adds

“Just seeing how much punishment you'll take before you got off your little pity me rant. Rhede forgave you and since Velkorn has not pressed any sort of hostility towards you I would hazard a guess she forgives you for making her work a little longer in patching him up.” Jer'rahd states.

“Rhede does not put on her any blame, as a friend how could I not do the same?” Velkorn adds.

“But since you seem so intent on being punished for a mistake like some sort of foal, there you go, you've been spanked like one. Same sort of thing my grandfather did to me when I was little and did something bad. I doubt a cane switch would be as effective on you as it was on me when I was younger, and also all I have at the moment is a training sword. Every pony makes mistakes Starfall. Goddess knows I’ve made a bucking career out of mine. No one died from your mistake, so learn from it, and don't make the same one again. I would have figured you picked that up from all our crap in basic, some chaos or dark magic can buck with you hard, and we were in possibly the perfect place for that sort of magic.”

“That's hardly a fitting punishment. Hitting me a few times with a training sword?”Starfall snorts.

“No, that's not the punishment. That was just to bring it about.” Jer'rahd grins evilly. “What that really was, was game point, Bleu final count?”

“What? Oh counting those last hits Starfall has fifteen boss has twenty, match point reached. Drinks are on Starfall tonight.” Bleu cheers.

Jer'rahd and Bleu both grin wider as Velkorn looks confused and Starfall looks panicked.

“What!! Oh by a Diamond Dog's puckered plot, NO! Not with as much as you and that dragon drink, no way.” Starfall yelps.

“You were the one who started the betting last time, now you pay for it hahahaha.” Jer'rahd cackles.

“Gaaahhhh. ….....I, sorry, I can't this week....” Starfall mutters.

“Oh? That's odd for you to go back on a deal made.” Bleu questions.

“It's not that, I am not going back on a deal. I just need most of my bits to pay for Cloud Dancer's Cutie Cena party. She got her cutie mark while we were away.” Starfall explains.

“Well now, that is a little different. I suppose I can put off what you owe for a while.” Jer'rahd ponders.

“Or until she beats you again and you give it up to call it even Boss.” Bleu laughs.

“The amount of drink you down, could quickly put you into the ground.” Velkorn grumbles.

“Probably, if I live long enough to have to worry about drinking myself to death.” Jer'rahd shrugs.

“Anyway, there was something else too. Stormsong is against it, but honestly I really do not care what that bitch thinks. Did you all want to come to her party? I don't think any of you have met her beyond Jer'rahd and Rhede briefly when we graduated.” Starfall comments.

“Really? Inviting your war buddies to your daughters cute-ceañera? I am not really the sort that most ponies want around their foals Starfall.” Jer'rahd blinks.

“Yes, well unlike most ponies I realize you are not the monster you are made out to be. I trust you not to do anything stupid around her.” Starfall responds.

“What about Rhede?” Jer'rahd asks.

“Him as well. I need to get over what I saw, he did save my life with that act no matter how horrific it seemed. The image is still going to haunt me.” Starfall sighs.

“Sounds like a plan Starfall, HEY, maybe we should invite Luna as well. She should get out more anyway.” Bleu chimes in.

“Might be a good idea Bleu. Though its Starfall's decision.” Jer'rahd adds.

“I think I will. It will likely make my daughter's party all the more memorable to have one of the Princesses there.” Starfall grins. “ And it would shut my sister's mare friends face for at least five minutes.

=====================================

[Canterlot, Celestia's study ]

“Tia this cannot be correct.” Luna comments taking a small sip of her coffee as she looks over the books spread before her on the table.

“Hmm what is that?” Celestia asks looking up from her own book. While Luna was looking over the books recovered from the Darklands, Celestia was scanning old records left by her mentor that might clue her in to what the two extra books were that Luna brought back. The red and gray bound books seemed innocuous enough but they made her uneasy for some reason.

“The book of Blue does indeed show how to find the Elements of Harmony. The spell is simple enough that a foal could cast it. I've located mine easily enough so I know it works. But the sites where the spell says the others are at, they have all already been thoroughly explored and everything found in them documented, there were no Elements in any of them.” Luna explains.

“Did they know what they were looking for?” Celestia asks.

“What?”

“The Elements change to suit their wielders sister. It is rare they look or even act the same way twice, I noticed that when we defeated Discord. There's also the matter that if the explorers were not worthy of them they likely would not have even appeared. As much as I loathe to trust anything made by him, Discord was a master at crafting things that did exactly what he wanted them to do. Especially if no one could figure out HOW they did it.”

“At least we have a start now. I am annoyed that I have had to use the other books to read this one properly however. Those other two make my hooves itch.“ Luna grumbles. “ Discord cross referenced his book with them in several places.”

“Moving on past, that, have you given any more thought to what I asked?”

“Not this again Tia. I have no intent to go to the Gala. I am not one for social gatherings. That has not changed in the slightest since last time you asked.”

“Pity, it would have been better if you were willing. I am afraid I am not going to let you off the hook this time sister. A small punishment for your joke, and risking yourself by lessening your magic while in the Darklands. You are going this year. There are more than a few nobles who wish to be your escort for the Gala I am sure at least one of them should be tolerable to you.” Celestia states.

“Bah, I would sooner have Rhede as my escort than any of those social climbing milk drinkers.” Luna growls. “ And you cannot fault me for the jest, given as you started it with your ten years nonsense.”

“ You have been hanging about the Guards too long for language like that Sister. I am sorry though, but Rhede is already claimed as my escort.” Celestia smirks.

“If you think that language, you clearly have not been around Starfall much. And that does not make any of them any more appealing by removing the worst....,wait, WHAT?” Luna shouts

“Oh, well Rhede asked if he could be my escort this year and I agreed.” Celestia states smugly.

“Rhede?”

“Yes.”

“Rhede Pelt?”

“Yes”

“Rhede Pelt who works for The Order?”

“Yes, that Rhede Pelt, General Kaisur's friend.”

“You must be joking.”

==============================================

[Canterlot Castle, Guest wing, the next day]

“She was not joking.” Luna deadpans.

Bleu, Velkorn, Jer'rahd, Starfall, and now Luna turn to look at the red furred earth pony stretched out on the bed, with quite possibly the largest grin on his face that they had ever seen.

“I am never going to hear the end of this from him.” Jer'rahd mutters.” Also be sure to tell your sister to throw me in a lake a little closer next time, those upper ones are freezing and it took me hours to get back.”

“I wondered where you landed.” Luna sighs.

“Don't worry boss, none of us are going to hear the end of this one.” Bleu sighs As Velkorn flattens her ears glaring at the bed ridden pony.

“I will hear the end of it from him or else. I will not however hear the end of it from my sister.” Luna sighs.“ Moving on before he starts to gloat, what was it you wished to discuss with me Starfall?”

The pegasus's eyes widen As Jer'rahd pushes the small pegasus towards the Princess with his magic.

“Just ask.” the unicorn snorts.

“Oh, right.... well....... Mydaughterishavinghercute-ceañerathisweekendandIwaswonderingifyouwishedtoattentedPrincess. I'veinvitedtheothersandIdidnotwantyoutofeelleftoutsoIfiguredtoinviteyouaswell. Youdonothavetoifyoudonotwanttobuthercutiemarkisjustthecutestthingever,shestartedtakeingdance
lessonsandboomthereitwasIjustthoughtIwouldask. ImeanitwouldbeoneofthebestpartieseverifCloudDancerhadaPrincessatherpartyandeveryponywould
rememberitforlongtime.”

“Damn it breath mare!” Bleu adds.

Luna blinked pulling back from Starfall. She was rather confused and not entirely certain of what the pegasus had just said. She could barely make out two words in that rapid fire speech. Starfall's gaze had her fixated however, she could not even look away from the mare. Starfall's eyes had gotten rather big all of the sudden and some what watery like she was on the verge of crying or begging. The look the pegasus gave her was making her feel rather uncomfortable, particularly when the pegasus flopped one ear forward for no discernible reason, her short hair some how managing to curl around her face highlighting the effect. Tia pulled this look off very well when she really wanted something from Luna and it was a hard power to resist. She finally tore her eyes away looking to the others. All of them had either covered their eyes or had at the very least turned away from the pair.

“Ummm, alright?!” Luna stammers

“Yay!!”Starfall cries.

Starfall Hugs Luna and suddenly and takes off out the door of the hospital rambling something about it being the best party yet for her daughter. Luna blinked in shock before looking at the others who had done all they could to not look directly at the bubbling Starfall .

“What did I just agree to?” Luna asks

“Attend her daughters cute-ceañera.” Jer'rahd explains.

“Oh .. well I suppose I could have agreed to worse.” Luna sighs. ”Ah yes, before I forget. I have a, errr, task for you Jer'rahd.”

“Hmm? Alright, bit unexpected this soon after the last mission, but it's no issue Princess what is it you need? I don't mind heading off to do something so I don't have to listen to Rhede gloat.” Jer'rahd nods “All I've had to do since we got back is paperwork dealing with weapons and repairs to the gates. There's serious issue with the structure of those things.”

“I wish for you to be my escort to the Grand Galloping Gala.” Luna states.

“........” Jer'rahd stands there a moment before sitting back hard on his rump. Rhede on the other hand seemed to have taken it a bit harder. His friend had not asked a Princess to the gala, but had been asked BY a princess to the gala. Bleu and Velkorn took the opportunity and pounced on Jer'rahd, nodding his head savagely for him.

“Boss accepts, don't you boss? Of course you do.” Bleu chuckles.

“Can I ask why? Bleu stop shaking my head I'm getting dizzy.”Jer'rahd finally adds.

“Ask what ever you want to know, the simple fact is, you still are going to go.” Velkorn grumbles.

“I understand your reluctance to deal with nobles General, and I am sure that dealing with me on this level as a accompaniment is uncomfortable as well, so it is simply a mission for you. I normally decline to attend, but Tia is forcing my hoof this year. I have no wish for the nobles to fight over who is to be my escort. You are of a high enough rank that my having you as an escort will keep the others who wish to accompany me at bay. If there is no objection to being seen at my side.” Luna adds the last.

“No Princess.. errr Luna, BLEU STOP MAKEING ME NOD! If it is your order I will accompany you as you wish. Though I truly have no idea what I am to expect. Have we returned to calling you Princess Luna now that we have returned, or are we still less formal?” Jer'rahd asks pushing the little dragon off his back with a thud.

“Only in formal situation, and more specificly when ever I and speaking in the Royal Canterlot voice.” Luna considers.

“Got it, call you princess when your screaming.” Jer'rahd snarks.

“That has very very dirty connections there boss . Sure you don't want to rethink it ?” Bleu grins.

“What?” Both Jer'rahd and Luna ask looking at the dragonling.

“Nothing.....” Bleu sighs.

“Also my sister has asked me to invite all of you to the Gala as well. Starfall took off before I could bring that up. I suppose I shall tell her at the party. Luna nods.

Velkorn had gone over to poke Rhede a few times to see if he was even alive while the others sorted out the details. He did not respond at all to her and eventually she opted to simply start drawing things on his face, clearly annoyed at his going to the Gala with Celestia.

Author's Note:

I'd forgotten both how fun, and how big this chapter was. granted it's now gone from 20k words to 27k words and become 3 chapters.

PreviousChapters Next