• Published 26th Nov 2014
  • 1,040 Views, 29 Comments

Knickerbockers Below The Knee - Masterweaver



Rainbow Dash and Applejack go on a date. But that's not what this story is about.

  • ...
5
 29
 1,040

Chapter 1: Initial Reactions

"I'm sorry... what?"

Lotus tittered warmly, continuing to file Rarity's horn. "In all honesty, if you'll pardon the pun, I cannot say I am surprised. Those two are just adorable together!"

Rarity stared at her blankly for a few moments. "Applejack... and Rainbow Dash. Together."

On the bed beside her, Fluttershy formed a rather deep frown. "...I don't think I can believe it."

Rarity turned to her friend with a grateful smile, although it faded a bit at the unusual intensity her face sported. "So it isn't just me then?"

Fluttershy nodded slowly. "After all that teasing about her mane that Rainbow got in flight school, all the slurs and the... no. I don't see why Applejack would hurt her like that."

Rarity blinked.

She blinked again.

"...What... does her mane have to do with anything?"

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "It's a rainbow. And of course we all know what that means."

Aloe, unused to hearing such a sarcastic tone from the pegasus, backed away from the hooves she was filing warily, shooting her sister a questioning look. Lotus shrugged, just as surprised at Fluttershy's vehement tone.

"...I don't, actually," Rarity offered simply. "What does a rainbow have to do with this situation?"

Fluttershy's gaze snapped to Rarity, her eyes widening fully in a subconscious attempt to find the smallest isle of teasing in the sea of confusion. As the seconds passed, the stormy sea only grew worse, strikes of fear lancing here and there.

The unicorn leaned away ever so slightly. "What?"

"...you really don't know, do you."

"No, darling."

Lotus gasped, her horn file dropping to the floor. Rarity rolled her eyes. "Oh please, is it really surprising that I cannot see the connection between the impossible situation of Applejack and Rainbow Dash dating and... rainbows?" She pondered her words for a moment. "I could have constructed that sentence far better..."

"The rainbow is one of the appropriated symbols of the Ponies for Orientation Irrelevant Nuptial Traditions," Fluttershy explained slowly.

"Oh. Who are they?"

Aloe's file joined her sisters, pink hooves covering her muzzle in shock.

"A group of uneducated morons who cause riots in order to promote orientation rights equality despite the fact that same gender marriage has been legal since the founding of Equestria," said Fluttershy, She Of The Kind Heart And Weak Will.

"Ah, I... am afraid I have never heard of them before. Have they been around very long?" asked Rarity, She Who Knew The Flow Of Fashion And Understood Ponies.

"Darling... they've been around since before my grandmother was born," explained Lotus, She Who Was Currently Shocked At Her Customer's Ignorance.

"They have? Oh." Rairty bit her lip.

Then, slowly, she let out a breath. "And... same gender marriage is legal?"

"Yes. Well, technically, it's all the herding laws, but it's not that common to take more then one mate anymore and..." Fluttershy stomped her hoof. "It just... Whenever those idiots threw up another pointless riot, Rainbow would get teased even more and I can't believe that Applejack would hurt her like that! What was she thinking when she asked her out?" Fluttershy ruffled her wings, glaring at nothing in particular. "I am going to have a very long talk with her."

Rarity nodded absently, staring into the middle distance. The stormy sea of confusion on her face had transformed into a hurricane, even now slipping inland and tearing apart the ancient and well crafted cities that paid homage to her views on the nature of ponies and reality. She didn't react at all when Lotus started cautiously filing her hooves once more. "Herding laws...?"

Fluttershy sighed. "Rainbow... she's had this tendency, ever since a foal, to act tough and pretend that nothing phases her. And she really does care for her friends... She's probably just going along with this to protect AJ's feelings." A yellow hoof brushed a pink mane out of moss-green eyes. "We'll need to do something about this. I mean... we've got to be careful, of course, don't want to tread on anypony's hooves..."

"I... I think I need to talk to Twilight," Rarity finally managed.

"Good idea!" Fluttershy nodded. "Getting our friends in on this could help out a lot. I think I'll talk to Pinkie, I can... sort of communicate with her on her good days."

"Yes, you do that..." Rarity nodded, her gaze distant. "I've just got to get a little bit of... research... so I'll head over to..." She paused, uncertainly. "Um, what are we calling Twilight's palace, anyway?"

Fluttershy shrugged helplessly. "I think it's still being decided?"

"Right. Well, anyway, I'll head over there and... talk. Yes." Rarity gently pushed Lotus away. "I'm terribly sorry, dears, I think I should... have to end this session early. Yes." She stood up, shaking her head. "I need... to talk to Twilight, I think. Excuse me..." Her eyes still unfocused, she meandered out of the spa.

Fluttershy glanced at her, a minor rainstorm of confusion appearing on her own face for a moment. She quickly shrugged it off, though, and turned to the spa twins. "I, um, hope you don't mind, but.... well, I think maybe I should also leave. I mean, if that's alright with you?"

"It's perfectly understandable dear," Lotus replied, staring after the unicorn herself. "I know Rarity usually pays for these outings herself..."

"Oh, um, yes." Fluttershy stepped off the small table and blushed a bit. "I'll... see if I can't remind her to pay you sometime soon." She skittered out of the room awkwardly.

The two sisters, left alone, stared at the door for a full four minutes.

Lotus eventually turned to Aloe. "What have we just started?"

Aloe turned to Lotus.... and shrugged helplessly.