• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,869 Views, 84 Comments

Reversed Realities - The1975Dash



After babysitting her little cousin, Maria Pearson is frustrated; not at her cousin, but her drawing. It's missing one thing she can't think of; the pony's Cutie Mark. Eventually she gives up and falls asleep, waking up in the land she

  • ...
9
 84
 4,869

Well How Do I Begin?

Well how do I start? It feels like everything happened just yesterday. One moment I was there and now I’m here. Allow me to explain everything in more detail. You see, I haven’t always been where I am. I don’t think I regret being sucked into all of this, but I might miss what I had sometimes. I’m sorry for the ambiguity; sometimes I can’t believe it myself. My name is Maria Pearson and this is my story of how I managed to survive in the land I once thought was fictional, Equestria. I wasn’t even searching for anything other than how to get back, but it turns out you can’t go in that land without being greeted.

It started on what was a completely normal day for me. However, it really wasn’t a day I was looking forward to. I had to look after my four year old cousin, Isabel, whilst my parents, aunt and uncle went out for the day. I wouldn’t for one second say I disliked Isabel, but I’m sixteen and she is four; what we like is completely different. The moment the door shut and I was left with her, she grabbed my arm and practically dragged me to the living room. “So, Isabel, what would you like to do?” I smiled sheepishly. The last time I had to look after her, all we did for the whole day was play princess dress up.

I wasn’t exactly known for being girly, so seeing myself in a prissy pink dress was like looking at another person altogether. To anyone who didn’t know me, I looked like a sweet cheery girl. However, what they didn’t know was that I was almost the opposite of what I looked like; I wasn’t in to makeup or fashion. As long as I was comfortable, I was happy. I wanted to dye my hair black, but my parents wouldn’t let me until I was eighteen. I had light brown hair and some rather modest blue eyes to go with it. However, I was wearing some coloured contact lenses, making my eyes appear rose tinted at the iris. I was in no way as thin as a model, but there was little fat on me, so I guess that I had nothing wrong with me physically. I was just a little bit over the average height for a girl my age and I found it almost amusing when I met up with my shorter friends. To be exact, I was nothing special.

Anyway, my cousin pulled me closer to the television and showed me her collection of DVDs. I noticed one particular correlation. They were mainly My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. “I wanna watch that one.” She sweetly demanded. I smiled a little bit, remembering how when I was younger I’d seen My Little Pony a few times, but never really watched it week in week out. “We’re gonna watch it all, right?” she smiled at me, and I’m not so mean that I would crush a four year old’s feelings. I nodded and put in the disc, thinking to myself ‘It’s just one season. Just one season of twenty six episodes…’ I sighed as I put my cousin on my lap and we began to watch. I almost cringed at the theme tune; far too girly for me, but I smiled at my cousin as she was clearly enjoying it. If it made her happy then I sure as hell would try to hold out through it.

I couldn’t help but giggle as she sang along with the tune and when the ‘evil’ pony came along, Nightmare Moon; she even gasped and shared the same emotions as those other ponies trembling in fear. “Heh, always trust Twighlight.” I found myself saying, and I blushed a little bit at how in the short space of twenty minutes I had gotten into it. ‘Maybe it won’t be so bad to watch this.’ I giggled. Another episode passed and I found myself actually smiling along with my cousin, enjoying the show as much as her. Already I’d picked out my favourites, Rainbow Dash and AppleJack seemed to be my favourites, although all of the characters were great in my opinion. I couldn’t find anything to fault the show and soon I was singing along with my cousin to whatever song came along.

However, all good things must come to an end and we had finished the entire first season and wouldn’t have time to finish the whole of the next season, so we decided it would be best to do something else. “Wanna draw?” was all she asked and immediately the both of us knew what to draw. “Ponies.” We nodded and got to work straight away. Needless to say I was quite proud of my drawing, the Pegasus I had created consisted of black fur and a black and red mane and tail; her eyes were made similar to mine for obvious reasons. Her beautiful wings were of the same colour as her mane and tail. Her mane ran just over her head, brushed to the side slightly to keep out of her eyes, and it was separated into three parts by the zigzag pattern of red in two of the sections. Her tail was serenely long and I could just picture the shine of it. It too was controlled by the red streaks across it. Her hooves I felt were too precious to touch soil, so she wore golden shoes, fit for her regal stature. Finally, to finish it off I drew around her a white band, just because I thought it looked nice.

My cousin walked over to me with intrigue and observed my drawing. However, her reaction was not the one I was expecting, or hoping for. She just laughed. I frowned and grabbed her, tickling her lightly. “What’re you laughing about?” I smirked.

“You’re tickling.” I stopped and asked her again. “Oh, well you drew an adult one. Even Princess Celestia was a young filly once.” She proudly presented her perfect picture of the princess with a smaller pony by her side “That one is me.” She pointed at the smaller, blue and green filly that was looking up at the princess in awe. I had to admit, in comparison of our drawings and considering she was only a quarter of my age, she was better than me. “You need to draw your one as a young filly.” I nodded in serious agreement with her. For some reason I had a tendency to go serious for no reason. I got to work, drawing the same outline, except a bit smaller. I made the mane neater because I thought it would be styled by the filly’s mother, although the tail remained free albeit shorter. I stared at the blank flank that not only the filly had, but also my full grown version of her.

“Huh, no Cutie Mark. I can’t think of one.” I sighed, but put the paper down and looked at the two ponies “Well, I guess a name would be good first……I have it! Aero Crown.” I smiled in jubilation at my rather…creative name. The whole time I had been seeing the drawing as a princess figure, and as she is a Pegasus the name only seemed fitting, but still no Cutie Mark idea. It was really troubling me and as I stared down at the piece of paper, sweat starting to form on my brows. I sat back in exasperation. “Great now how can I possibly complete this?” My attention was briefly pulled away as my cousin tugged at the sleeve of my jacket. “What is it Squirt?” I raised an eyebrow.

“They’re home!” she squealed in delight, running off to greet her parents as well as mine. I got up and left the drawings on the floor of the living room. “And then we drew pictures!” my cousin exclaimed as she was picked up by my uncle and hugged.
“There’s my little girl. Come ‘ere Emmy.” I gave a blank look to my dad and I walked over to him only to be pulled into a hug with him. “What’s got you down Em?” he leaned in a little bit. I pushed away and walked back over to the living room where Isabel was already showing her parents the drawings.

After everyone had talked some more, my family and I left. However, before I could leave, Isabel ran up to me and gave me the pieces of paper with our drawings on them “So you remember me.” She smiled.

“How could I forget you? I’m coming back next week.” I chuckled and pulled her in for one last hug before getting in the car and being whisked away back to my home. As soon as I got back in I looked at my drawing again and found myself in the same frustrations as before. I glared at it for hours on end, trying to figure out what the Cutie Mark could be for my precious drawing. I obsessed over finishing this and found myself almost getting lost from my surroundings as I gazed at the blank flank that I had been presented with as a problem.

I groaned and slumped back on my chair, rubbing my eyes as I checked the time. It was past midnight and my eyes were feeling heavy as I was feeling tired. I literally rolled across onto my bed and buried my face in the pillow “Ugh, tomorrow I guess.” I grumbled as the sweet mistress of slumber crept over me. Invading my thoughts however were mental images I had of Ponyville and Equestria, and the images of everypony there. Then I saw her, my own drawing, although she seemed to be too shy to talk to anyone, and that’s when I noticed her lack of Cutie Mark, showing reason to her embarrassment. Then blank. Everything from my mind just went and I shut off as I fell asleep.

I stirred from my sleep as the wind brushed past my hair gently. Immediately my eyes shot open and went wide as I realised that it’s not normal for wind to be blowing past my room, considering my window wasn’t open. I instantly regretted opening my eyes so fast. The sunlight sent harsh beams to sting at my retinas, so quickly I closed them. However, whilst slowly opening my eyes I could see that the scenery was very different to my own room. “Good lord. If this was me sleep walking, I’ve really outdone myself this time.” I chuckled although I had some aching feeling of doubt stirring.

I looked around only a little bit before I frowned at what I was seeing. The trees looked nothing like what I knew from my neighbourhood. “Where the heck am I?” I raised an eyebrow and began to feel a bit more nervous. I rolled a little bit, but felt something sting so I went back to how I was. I lifted my arm and scratched my ear absentmindedly. However, I couldn’t even feel my fingers, and my ears felt different somehow. As my eyes started to adjust even more, I put my hand in front of my face to see a black hoof. In my tired state, I blinked a couple of times before realising something.

I waved my hand and the hoof waved at the same time. I put my hand down and the hoof did the same. My eyes widened in realisation. “How can that b-be?” I stuttered and kept on trying the same tactic to break myself away from this. However, the results all pointed to the same conclusion. The hoof was mine. A jet black hoof. Just to check, I raised my other hand and I gasped when I saw it was also a black hoof. I traced the origins of this hoof and found myself looking at the chest of a pony, the fur a shiny black. I reached up with my ha-hooves and felt my ears again, and then they twitched. I jolted quickly and put my hooves down on the ground again. Those ears definitely didn’t do that before. I never felt the urge before, but when I looked back I actually felt the urge to scream. I saw two small wings and a small tail to go with it. I stopped and stared for a minute, maybe two, hoping that this was all just an illusion. I gritted my teeth as I saw my tail twitch and sway with a mind of its own, although it was too short to sway with any real serenity.

Something about the colours struck me. They seemed familiar to me, but I was too confused by the early start doubled with the strange findings it brought. Then I realised. I screamed as loud as I could. The colours were the same as the ones I drew on that Pony with my cousin. Before I knew it I saw a pink flash bowl into me, sending us both crashing and rolling along the ground. When we came to a stop, I looked up to see a pink pony with large blue eyes cradling me perfectly despite the tumbling. “Are you okay? Did you miss a party? I’d cry to if I missed a party.” She reassured me, but I started hyperventilating as I remembered who this pony was. I looked over her shoulder and fainted as I saw five other familiar equines. “This can’t be ha..” was all I could say before I was out.