• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 440 Views, 0 Comments

The Masked Muffin - DouglasTrotter



Wrestling and Derpy, what could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
 0
 440

Family Time

Quick, successive flickers of light from the small TV illuminated the tiny apartment room. A filly jumped up and down on the couch while her red mask, with the symbol of a sun emblazoned on the front, shimmered in the TV’s light. Her cape rose and fell with each successive jump.

A grey pegasus prepared a meal in the tiny kitchen, and then made the small trek to the couch. She gave a quiet chuckle to herself, “Ok Dinky—“

“No, I’m the masked horn!” The filly unicorn said before she landed on the couch. She grinned at the TV and slowly lurched forward. “Wagon Shredder is going to use her signature move again. She’s so awesome.”

“The Masked Horn is it? I believe last week you wanted to call yourself Blazing Star Streamer. Or was it Shining Glitter Bug?” The grey pegasus said. She unfolded her right wing and brushed her wingtips against her daughter’s side. “You can’t escape my tickling tips of terror, heh heh. Anyways ‘masked horn,’ you need to get something to eat. All good UUEWE ponies need meals to keep them strong and fit.”

Dinky’s eyes fixated on the TV. Derpy watched the little unicorn’s perfect concentration as Dinky levitated her utensil to her mouth to eat every so often.

“Late,” “Final Notice,” and “Urgent” were stamped on the front of the envelopes Derpy passed by on her way to the couch. Each successive piece of mail she had flipped through contained one, both, or all three words on their faces, in red ink. The pony shook her head. Her ears perked up and she watched the TV give out for what seemed like the fourth time that day.

An aura surrounded the TV’s antenna. The TV sprung to life; its picture came back clearer than ever as Dinky concentrated her magic. She turned to her mother and gave a cheery smile. “I need to tell Mr. Cathode thanks. His little trick wor—”

“It’s come down to the wire ponies. Will Cat Eyes win her first round and be elected into the UUEWE? Or will she suffer the shame of defeat at the hooves of Wagon Shredder?” PE.M’s voice crackled out of the TV’s speakers. Dinky remained on the edge of the couch cushion. Her smile grew. The camera angle shifted towards a corner post and PE. M said, “Wagon Shredder goes to the top. Here she comes! That’s all Celestia wrote. Cat Eyes is knocked out. You get knocked out—“

“You get chucked out!” Dinky said with a shout.

Derpy watched as her daughter bolted towards her. She removed the filly’s red mask to see her face. Derpy patted the pony on the back with a soft hoof, “Chew your food first Dinky. What you have to say can wait."

Dinky levitated her napkin and wiped her face. The pony removed her cape. She turned towards her mother after she heard the mare ask “What” a Wagon Shredder was and why it was wrestling. “Wagon Shredder isn’t some kind of thing, mom. She’s one of the wrestlers. Wagon Shredder is amazing. She has won enough matches to compete against the Equestrian Seven, a group of top quality competitors. If any pony can beat three of the seven, they get the right to go up against Solar Ignition. Though it’s never happened before, a pony can claim the UUEWE title if they win against her. The prize for defeating Solar Ignition is also Fifty Thousand bits.”

Derpy patted the unicorn filly on the head and ate the finale bite of her meal from her friend at the delivery company. She gathered the dishes up and placed them in the sink. After she returned to the couch, a quick yawn came to her ear.

“It would be nice if UUEWE was on more than just every six months out of the year.” Dinky said. Another yawn came from the little filly before she lost the battle with her heavy eyes. In a voice that grew quieter with each word she said, “It would be awesome. To meet the mares… of….”

“Goodnight, my precious muffin.” Derpy said before she placed her wing over the pony. “Perhaps you’ll find a surprise tomorrow after school. I know Ms. Cheerilee might kill me if she found out, but you’ve worked so hard on your studies. A little fun won’t hurt, tee hee.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment