• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 2,774 Views, 507 Comments

At the Inn of the Prancing Pony - McPoodle



Celestia awakens from an enchantment to discover that Equestria has been taken from her.

  • ...
11
 507
 2,774

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Non-Player Character

At the Inn of the Prancing Pony

Chapter 17: Non-Player Character


Midnight looked around at the approaching adventurers. What she really wanted to say, more than anything else at that moment, was “Go right on ahead and loot the place, but we need to go,” followed by some strenuous running. However the strangest thing took place.

She said absolutely nothing. She didn’t move, she just stood there, watching the scene unfold against her will.

The slender earth pony Torchlit walked past her like she didn’t exist, peering down at the town. “Where is it, where is it…” he muttered to himself for a few seconds. “Bingo!”

Two pig creatures...orcs, they had called themselves...dressed in skimpy dresses emerged upon the stage from behind the curtain, carrying between them a great chest filled with treasure. Coins mostly, but also more than a dozen gems of various sizes, colors and quality. Most obvious because of their glint were a fire opal, an oriental amethyst, and a hypnotic black pearl.

There!” exclaimed a female voice, somewhat garbled from too much phlegm in the throat. “I must have that pearl!” A pink foreleg pointed.

Hope turned to see who had just spoken, and fell over to the ground, her mouth agape in shock. “You!

All eyes turned to the new pony, a pegasus with a light blue and pale red mane. Her left wing was noticeably larger than her right. The pegasus looked down at Hope, and rolled her eyes. “You’re not supposed to recognize me,” she said gruffly. She looked off into the eastern horizon for some reason inexplicable to Midnight, a look of profound disappointment washing across her features.

Midnight, unable to move but for being yanked to look, unable to speak, felt her hoof moving of its own volition, rising...ominously rising...to point at the pegasus.

“What are you?” she then asked lamely, while in her mind she screamed in frustration. She had meant to ask her ex-companion how she recovered so quickly, but it didn’t seem that she was allowed to speak any line that hadn’t been roughly shoved into her brain for her to say.

“I am the future of Equestria,” the pegasus proclaimed, putting one hoof up on a rock that Midnight could have sworn wasn’t there a second ago. “The new leader of the band of adventurers that will wipe all monsters from the face of…” (An uncomfortable pause, involving staring at the eastern horizon.) “Equus!” She gestured at her cutie mark, which portrayed a badly drawn pony skull wreathed in flames. “I...am...Skull Flame!”

“Soul Cleaver?!” Hope asked in an unbelieving squeak.

Midnight fought with all her might to speak, to shout out or even signal that she was helpless in her own body. To ask somepony what was going on. She knew that “Soul Cleaver” was the name of the dead pony, but how...

Oh wait, she was being required to say something stupid again. “The legend lives on,” she said.

“Skull Flame” looked down at Hope. “You’re that pony that talks, aren’t you?”

The unicorn, Vaya Con Dios, summoned a gag to cover Hope’s mouth before she could reply. “None of that, now,” he said darkly.

“Aw, come on now!” the pegasus named Swipe said. “She’s the most fun we’ve had in this entire campaign. And look, she’s almost made it to the Inn in time for the…” He seemed to look annoyed that his last word had been snatched from his lips before he could say it.

“So, what do you think?” Torchlit asked Skull Flame, pointing down at the village. “Think we can take the treasure?”

“Oh, no question,” answered Skull Flame. “But how do we guarantee a 100% kill rate?”

Hope struggled mightily against her magical muzzle, trying to make her thoughts known.

“We could stand to use some backup,” said Vaya.

Skull looked over at Hope. “I’m not bringing her.”

“Alright, then what about the unicorn?”

“I live to serve!” Midnight replied, straining with all her might to roll her eyes, impale herself on a nearby log, or give herself a heart attack, all without success.

“Now hold on,” Swipe complained, “before we throw the … to the wolves, I wanna ask a few questions.” Midnight observed the missing word in the thief’s speech. She was fairly sure that he was referring to her. So was it an insult that he had been censored by his god from speaking? Or something more, some hint that would be invaluable in her studies if she only knew?

Meanwhile, Swipe had wrapped a hoof around the edge of Hope’s gag and pulled, which caused it to vanish. “Who’s your friend?” he asked in a smarmy tone.

Hope looked at Midnight with a calm, cold look. “She’s my master,” she said. “She bought me on the slave market in Horn’s Reach. She’s taking me to Hoofington to sell me to the highest bidder. Maybe you could even buy me.” She looked over at Swipe with a sultry look. “I bet you’d like that,” she said as she licked her lips.

Swipe turned to Midnight. “Is this true?” he asked. “Th...the slave part. I don’t think I want to know the rest.”

Midnight discovered to her horror that the process affecting her went both ways. Not only could words be shoved into her brain for her to say, but also that it was possible for things to be yanked out of her thoughts and memories, for inspection by the thing that gave adventurers their marching orders. She felt something invade her mind, searching around for anything attached to the concepts of “That Annoying Earth Pony” and “That Unicorn Chick”. Desperately, she tossed chemistry equations at it as she tried to think. What was Celes...Hope trying to gain with such a story?, she asked herself desperately, a complete...fabrication? Was it possible that they couldn’t tell the difference between real memories and false ones? Desperately, Midnight tried to summon an image of what buying Hope would have looked like. She had nothing but fairy tales to guide her, but there was that one that was very well illustrated…

“Yes,” Midnight said the implanted word with callous indifference, though her heart was pounding hard enough to make her dizzy.

Swipe laughed. “Karma’s a bitch, ain’t it!” he crowed to Hope, before advancing uncomfortably close to Midnight. “So, what’s your story?” he asked her. “Are you loaded? Flat broke? Have a collection of scrolls that you’d like to share with your new best friends?”

Before she could stop herself, Midnight thought of the potions that Firebelle had given them, tucked away in their cart. By the time she started thinking of wooden ducks, it was too late.

“Not that I would want to give them to you, but I have some potions hidden away in those bushes.”

“Sweet!” exclaimed Swipe. “Torchlit…?”

“Already on it,” Torchlit said, digging his way through to the cart. The sound of a couple of gourds of water could be heard being shaken and then tossed contemptuously to the ground, where they shattered. “Ooh! Found them! Oh. They’re just Class 1 healing potions. I can make stronger juice in my sleep.”

“The shame!” Midnight involuntarily exclaimed, covering her eyes with one forehoof. “It appears I will never be the equal of a true master of the craft!” Her voice was oddly accented, like she was attempting to imitate the earth pony before her.

All of the adventurers save Torchlit burst into raucous laughter at this line. “Oh, man! You nailed him!” Swipe exclaimed, his words aimed once again at that mysterious spot to the east.

“Why must you always mock me?” Torchlit said petulantly.

“Because you’re so pathetic!” exclaimed Vaya, giving him a noogie.

“Team...focus,” Skull Flame warned in a low voice.

The others instantly fell into attention before her, a mocking smile on Swipe’s face.

“So you’re just a potion maker, huh?” the former Firebelle asked.

“Well, until I ran out of money and turned to slave-running instead,” Midnight replied in a matter of fact manner, though in her mind she was raging at being called “just” a potion maker.

“Right, then,” said Skull Flame. “You’re kind of big, so Torchlit, you use her as cover while you’re lobbing your bombs. Vaya, use that staff of yours to bash some skulls, and Swipe, live up to your name and swipe us some gems. I can see from here that the coins are copper, so don’t waste your time with them.”

“Excuse me?! I am not ‘big’.” Midnight objected, agreeing for once with her compulsions.

“Pony, if I tell you you’re a pegasus, then you had better start flying!” She looked to the others with an expectant grin. “Huh? Get it?”

Swipe wiped his jaw with one hoof. “No, sorry. Not feeling it. And neither is Foaltus.”

“And what will you be doing, oh Fearless Leader?” asked Hope.

Skull Flame rolled her eyes. “Vaya, please silence...silence...unicorn, remind me what her name is.”

Several seconds passed, during which each of the adventurers in turn focused their attention on Midnight. “Hope Springs,” she repeated in her head as often and as loud as she could. All thoughts of the other name were shoved deep into her subconsciousness.

“H...ho...Her,” she finally said. She clamped her jaws together, to keep the fatal word “Highness” from leaking out.

“Hope Springs,” Torchlit said with a roll of his eyes.

“What, do you memorize them or something?” asked Swipe. He flew up into the air a bit to assert some sort of superiority.

“Well, somebody had better do it, right? Remember that time when we ended up knocking out the wrong griffon because somebody mixed up our employer with our target?”

“As I keep saying, I meant to do that!” roared Skull Flame.

Midnight recoiled from the raging pegasus, but couldn’t do anything but return to her neutral stance.

“Or...Soul Cleaver meant to do that,” Skull Flame added after a moment. “Ugh, whatever.”

“Um...guys,” Swipe warned, his eyes fixed on something behind the others. “I think we’re about to lose initiative.”

“What?” asked Skull Flame, turning.

And then she was swarmed by about thirty orcs armed with polearms.

Midnight was still locked in position, but she felt herself being slowly dragged away by Hope’s hoof hooked around her leg. She could do nothing but stare as dozens of the creatures from the village swarmed the adventurers.

It seemed like they would be drowned by a living wave of adversaries, but there was a sudden and nearly silent explosion emitted by Vaya’s staff, which caused the creatures to be propelled suddenly through the air, some of them ahead of Hope and Midnight. Swipe was nowhere to be seen.

“This thing affecting you had better have an area of effect,” grunted Hope, pulling Midnight further and further away from the battle. So far, the creatures seemed to utterly ignore them.

There was a brief shimmer in the air, and suddenly Swipe was standing before Skull Flame, presenting her with the black pearl. It appeared from Midnight’s vantage point that there were reptilian eyes inside the pearl, staring out at the eager pegasus.

Without a word, Skull Flame shoved the pearl into her mouth and swallowed it. Immediately, she doubled over and hissed sharply.

Midnight’s muscles began to unlock. A few seconds later, she was free.

“Run!” Celestia urged her, as she ran away from the village with all of her might.

With a scream, Skull Flame’s wings were ripped apart, to be replaced by two magnificent dragon wings, a pure black in color. “So...much...power!” she cried, her voice becoming inequine as her body began to bloat.

Midnight ran then, sparing only one more glance back at the terrifying new version of Firebelle that was being born at the center of all this, and then she only saw Hope’s tail bobbing through the brush.


The swamp that contained the orc village ended in a wall of thorns. Celestia used her earth pony powers to push through it, and they emerged at the outskirts of Hoofington.

Celestia and Midnight ran into the town. They saw the Inn almost immediately, but ran past it into another alley. Celestia carefully looked around, and especially up, before finally returning to Midnight and nodding mutely.

“I couldn’t speak!” Midnight cried. “I couldn’t move, I was useless, I couldn’t...” She coughed on the words, fear and exhaustion warring with each other as her eyes searched around the alley for something that wasn’t there.

Celestia embraced the terrified unicorn and held her until the shaking subsided.

“The cloak is gone, the gold is gone, I don’t...”

“We’ll go back,” Celestia said calmly. “We’ll go back after the fight is over. I honestly don’t think they’re even going to remember that cart after they’re done, and the orcs will never find it.” She looked angrily to the east. “I didn’t know that’s what they did to other ponies. The adventurers seemed confused by the way I answered their questions, but I had no idea that that meant that most ponies came under their control. I’m so sorry, Midnight. I saw it happening in your eyes, and I did what I could to distract them, to give them the sort of story they wanted, so they wouldn’t ask any awkward questions. I’m sorry that I made you out as such an awful pony...again. I do that too much.”

Midnight just tightened the hug.

“I...I know I’m not. I just...they wanted me dead. No, worse. A shield. I was the same thing as a slab of metal to them. I thought I’d at least be able to stand my own, if something bad ever happened, but this...”

“And if you had been wearing that cloak?” Celestia asked.

“It might...I don’t know.” Midnight released Celestia and sat with her back against a wall. “I don’t know if it will be enough,” she admitted. “There’s no way of knowing.”

Celestia held the unicorn at hoof’s length. “Midnight, if you’re not sure you can stand up to it, if you are not absolutely sure, then you shouldn’t go in there with me.” She looked down at her hooves. “You’ve taken me this far, for which I am immeasurably grateful, but I really don’t think I have any right to ask more of you, especially after what you’ve been through. I, I think—”

“Let me think on it,” Midnight pleaded. “I am shaken, yes, and I know this is beyond me but... Give me a night to figure out what I want to do. Then...then I’ll decide. But no matter what...” She held out a hoof, smiling a bit despite all of what had just happened. “I’d like to still be your friend.”

“Always,” Celestia said, taking that hoof in her own. “Always.”

PreviousChapters Next