• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 19,455 Views, 2,467 Comments

An Extended Holiday - Commander_Pensword



Adventure, Mayhem, Magic of unknown origins, and talking colorful Ponies. All being unrelated events have brought three friends together into the wildest holiday that anyone could imagine.

  • ...
69
 2,467
 19,455

PreviousChapters Next
69 - The Tiger's Tail

Extended Holiday
Ch 69: The Tiger’s Tail
Act 8


On the Gantrithor, Pensword, Cheshire, Avalon, Jorund, and Cosy stood at the helm over the magical planning apparatus. Currently, it was projecting a precise model image of Gryphelheim and the Imperial Palace along with all its many corridors. A solid layer of green surrounded them as Jorund zoomed in on the imperial compound. Suddenly they appeared to be standing on the clouds as the helm disappeared, replaced instead with scenery and images scryed into place. The compound was swarming with soldiers and militants. A very angry Grask was shouting at his troops as they rammed against the doors to the throne room.

“As you can see here, it would appear that Grif was able to rout the attack as planned and has managed to seal the throne room with some type of magic. Now that we’ve secured our position on the docks, it’s time to focus on strategy. We need to get in, grab the emperor, and get out as quickly as possible. Any suggestions?” Jorund asked

“How many airships do we have access to?” Pensword asked as he looked at the images. “How many hands are available? I might have an idea, but I need to know what assets we have to work with.”

“We can’t move the Gantrithor or your ship from these docks,” Jorund noted, waving his hands as the map adjusted over to the royal docks. Several of the airships were highlighted in red. “Hmm…” he said, looking. Finally, he spotted a ship in a cool blue color. “Die Kling seems to have escaped attack. And better yet, it’s not under Grask’s control.”

“Is there a means to get a message to them? If we can get my clan on board, they can help draw attention and do a drop on the castle. Meanwhile, the rest of our forces will be able to storm the palace and face only a minimal guard. We could be in and out easily, provided we move fast enough.”

“I can add to the distractions up there, too. My wind magic can keep any other ships at bay and possibly affect the troops on the ground as well, provided I can manage a two for one. I still haven’t been able to really test my full limits yet,” Avalon said.

“And I can go with Uncle Pensword to help get people out of the palace and back to the docks,” Cosy said.

“Cosy, I need you to stay here. Coordinate if possible. I will have Moon Biter help you. Look at this as an opportunity to learn how to lead troops.”

Cosy shook his head violently. “I’m not staying behind. I can help with my magic. Uncle Shining taught me some shield spells, and I can do teleports over short distances. That can come in handy. Besides, I handled things just fine back there on the docks. I want to help get Daedalus to safety.”

Pensword paused and looked at Cosy, his expression grim. “Cosy, I know you want to help, but at the moment, Grif is going to be in one of his moods. We fought together in the war. I cannot risk him doing something drastic. I have a bad feeling about this. I would rather have you safe up here. It is an unknown down there. I cannot risk you. I do not want your brother-in-law, nor your sister after me. Do you understand?”

“They won’t be, Pensword. The blame’s gonna be mine. And if you try to leave me behind, I’ll just come anyways. I have a feeling, too. And it’s telling me that you need me. Whether you like it or not, I’m coming.”

Pensword’s left eye twitched. “No, Moon Burn,” He spoke sternly, voice raised. “No!” He paused. The look Cosy was giving him had been the same as the young Thestral brother he’d lost so long ago. “Cosy… please, I lost my brother, my sister, my family to these beasts. I fear what I may do if I lose you as well.”

“I killed ten on my own already, Pensword. I can handle myself. You won’t lose me.”

“Cosy, you fought minor troops. The troops in the castle will be the elite and most trusted of Grask. That would be like facing some school yard bully and turning around to face a trained fighter.”

“That’s what the distraction is for,” Cosy reminded him. The Gryphons will be too worried about the airship to focus on us. And besides, I’m little. I don’t stand out all that much, so they won’t really notice me.”

“What if they ignore the airship?” Pensword countered. “And little? I trained my troops to look for the smaller targets in battle, to give any creatures on the field the same respect as I would the most elite of soldiers.”

“I’m not staying behind,” Cosy said adamantly as he stamped a hoof.

“Cosy, I am going to--as the head of your protection detail, I cannot agree with that.” He sighed, then looked at his charge. “Cosy, I cannot risk losing you.” His eyes took a glassy look as his mouth dropped open. “I do not want you--” He jerked his head abruptly to the side. “He--?” He yelled in confusion and shock. “Burn,” he growled. He flicked an ear in irritation, snorted, and shook his mane. “Fine, but you get him the best guardians you have on that side, or so help me--! STOP LAUGHING, MOONY!” He roared. Then he smirked. “You didn’t think I would use that old nickname?” Then he sighed. Fine, I will trust your words here. Just… Faust help you all if his fate is something I disagree with.”

“Um … am I missing something here?” Avalon asked.

A Thestral in the back cleared her throat. “The Commander ... has a gift. He can talk to those that have passed beyond the grave. We just saw what is essentially an argument between siblings. Or at least one side of it.”

“... You don’t say.” Avalon deadpanned.

“I think it’s pretty cool,” Cosy said, grinning and pleased as punch.

“Of course you would. You get to go on a dangerous mission. Honestly, you would have been good friends with Moon Burn and Windwhirl.” He shook his head. “It can be a burden as well.” He sighed, stepped forward, and nuzzled Cosy on the side of his muzzle. “Still, stay safe, and follow my lead. Every instruction. If I say run, you run. Deal?”

“Deal,” Cosy said. As an act of good faith, he spat into his hoof and held it out in a tradition as old as time. Pensword gave Cosy a strange look. Cosy smiled. “I saw my troops do this a few times.”

Pensword laughed before he, too, spat in his own hoof and sealed the deal with a hoof shake.


Grif groaned as his body strongly protested his decision to get to his paws with large amounts of pain. He looked around the room, “How long was I out?” he asked, rubbing his head.

The room was pensive and silent.

Grif lifted his head to look around the darkened space. Torches burned in sconces, having been taken from their rings in the throne room to add more light in the protective hole. The silence all around him was still, and the tension was thick. “Very well,” he said, looking around. “I make no excuses for myself. I’ll keep my distance.” He turned towards the corner of the room, grim faced, but silent.

“... Grif.” Grif felt a light hand on his shoulder. “Tell me what happened.” There was no judgement in that voice, neither anger nor sorrow. It was the voice of an old soul who had seen much and wished only for understanding and peace. When he turned to see who had spoken, he beheld the eyes of the emperor: compassionate, caring, yet stern. There was strength in those eyes.

“I wasn’t able to save him,” Grif said. “For the second time in a row, someone close to me has died because I was too weak to save him. What value am I if I can’t even protect those closest to me? What if it’s Avalon next time? What if it’s Shrial, my children? What good am I?”

“The kind that gives the lost second chances. You sacrifice, giving your all, holding nothing back for the people you love. I envy you, Grif. You’ve been able to live this way for your whole life. I never had that chance. Not until you came along. Not until you and those who share your ideals came to my aid and the aid of my people. Their deaths are not the signs of your weakness. They are the pillars of your strength.”

“Perhaps your youth has been misjudged,” Grif told him. “You may not be much for combat, and you are still a fledgling, but you have the wisdom to guide our race, the mercy to be kind when you can spare it, and the instinct to be ruthless when you can’t. Never let yourself believe you aren't strong. I’m not the hero you paint me to be, I’m simply the darkness who shadows the light. They will sing songs about you. They will curse my name. Always remember that, Daedalus.”

“I’ll remember you, Grif. And so will our people. But no one will curse your name while I draw breath. Justice isn’t always the perfect ideal we expect it to be. And darkness dwells in all of us. You suffered. We all suffer. Don’t let yourself become surrounded by that darkness when there are many waiting to support you in light.”

“Have the bodies of the fallen been looted?”

“Only to reclaim your daggers and take some rations. Grask was seeking entry, and it’s only a matter of time until he manages to break through the doors, magic or no magic.”

“If I know Pensword, that won’t be an issue. Can you send someone to retrieve something?”

“Yes.”

“There was a pair of scimitars on the last warrior I killed. I will carry those into this fight. Vigilance and Vengeance want no further part in it. If you would honor me, Daedalus, could I ask that you keep them safe until we must part ways?”

“If that is your desire. But the necessity may come sooner than you think.”

“We need to reach the docks. From there, you and I will say goodbye. I will take my people and convince Grask and his men that you have fled on the Gantrithor while you will take our ship to the western safehouse.”

“... Thank you, Grif. No matter what you may think of yourself, I want you to know you’re a good Gryphon, and a good friend.”

“Then if I may make a request?” Grif asked him. “There are going to be three empty slots needing to be filled in the royalty. Perhaps I could put forth a name?”

“It is the duty of the Avatar to provide counsel to the Emperor.” Daedalus smiled. “Who did you have in mind?”

“Gorin Farflyer. Yes, I know, the Avatar of Winds suggesting his brother-in-law. What scandal.” Grif deadpanned. “The Farflyers have supported your family since your great grandfather ascended the throne, and Garrus fears he has nothing to offer his youngest son. it would be good to keep a confidant close to you.”

“If he’s anything like his father, I’d be glad to have him, and his whole clan with him.”

“We should prepare,” Grif said. “They will be mounting another push soon, and this time they’ll be giving everything they have.” He drew a stiletto. “If it is your will, my emperor, it would be my honor to secure your safety again.”

“Cheeky.” Daedalus smirked. “By the Winds’ leave,” he said as the guards approached their Emperor. “We have hidden long enough. It is time for us to fight. Gryphons, Gryphonesses, we must fight to run away. That my bloodline may continue and that we, as brothers and sisters, may build a brighter tomorrow, free from the power-hungry, ruthless kings, that our Empire may truly be our empire. We will endure, we will weather the storm, and we will rise again upon the winds!”

“Bladefeathers!” Grif shouted to his clanmates. “Today, they have taken our brother. So how about we go take us some of theirs?” He let out a roar which, after a moment, was echoed by the Gryphons wearing the Bladefeather symbol. They marched onwards, not with thoughts of glory or riches. Just death, revenge, and the will to shape a future.


“Wonderful day for a bit of sport isn’t it, Rarity dear?” Fel jade said as she gave her rapier a few experimental swings. “I must confess I am wondering where your own training suit is?” she asked, regarding her own white padded fencing suit. The two mares stood casually in the training grounds of the courtyard. The day was bright and sunny, almost as if the Everfree Forest was smiling over the events about to come.

Fel Jade had initially been surprised when Rarity had suggested a fencing match. She, of course, knew how to fence since a basic instruction in the sport was provided at every finishing school in Canterlot, but she couldn’t help but wonder where a simple village mare could have picked it up. Still, she was all too happy to showcase her skill.

“Training suit?” Rarity asked. “Why, I didn’t know the nobles needed one.” Rarity casually flicked her perfectly coiffed hair to the side. “I’m perfectly fine on my own, darling, trust me.” With that said, she lit her horn up and drew her sword to hover in the air. “Ah, it’s been so long since I was able to pull out Seam Ripper.” She took it into her hooves and smiled as she reviewed its craftsmanship. “You know, Hammer Strike made this weapon just for me. It was his first gift. It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

“It suits you so well. So perfectly quaint and rustic.” Fel Jade nodded. “I imagine you won’t find another of its like amongst all the ladies of canterlot.”

“Naturally,” Rarity said. Then she smiled a sickly sweet smile. “Are we ready to begin?”

“Five bits says this is being over in two minutes,” Heavy Set whispered to the stallion beside him.

“Five bits? I’d call that offensive,” he heard in response. “One hundred, less than a minute.”

“Hmm…. Heavy’s sandvich fund could be being doubled with that money…… da, da, Heavy agree,” the stallion nodded.

“Heavy, if you really need more funds for sandviches, you could always ask me.”

“...Boss?” Heavy asked, surprised as he looked behind him.

“Of course. You thought I wasn’t going to watch this?” Hammer questioned.

“Yeah, Amythest there doesn’t know what she’s got herself into,” Ahead Scout laughed before shoveling popcorn into his mouth.

“If she dies, can we have ze body?” Red Cross asked.

“If she dies, you’re not getting the body, because then I have to work towards defusing the situation with everyone in Canterlot.”

“En guarde!” Fel Jade slauted with her rapier.

Rarity returned the salute before Fel Jade moved ahead with a thrust that Rarity parried without even looking at. She didn’t press. She just waited for Fel Jade to try again. Her immediate jab was blocked once again with ridiculous ease. This time, she moved forward, ducking nimbly under Jade’s rapier to land a hard thrust on her shoulder.

“A hit!” Espionage shouted in his Phrench accent, holding a hoof to Rarity. His newly designed rouge suit and ski mask acted as a perfect flag as he signaled the point.

“That was really an excellent try, dearie, but your form’s too open and you’re too slow to repost. By drawing out your moves for artistic poise and pose, you leave yourself too open. I’d suggest working a little more on those reflexes, Darling,” Rarity said.

“I'll try to remember that, dear,” Fel Jade said before returning to starting position. Once again, Jade was the aggressor, starting off with a jab that was immediately parried, giving her only seconds to block Rarity’s thrust. She attacked with a thrust of her own, which Rarity blocked in turn. Fel Jade desperately threw her weight into a jab, causing her to lunge forward and lose her footing. With surprising speed, Rarity sidestepped the attack before landing Seam Ripper’s pommel in Fel Jade’s shoulder, followed immediately by a strike to the flanks, confirming her point.

“Hit!” Espionage confirmed again.

Fel jade winced a bit as she turned her flank and shoulder, smarting nicely. “Got a little carried away, did we, dear?”

“So sorry~,” Rarity said, fluttering her eyelashes. “Shall we begin again?”

Fel Jade’s form was much less confident as they returned to starting positions for the third and final time. This time, however, Rarity went straight to the offensive. In an almost savage manner, she rained down blows upon Fel Jade, who was far too busy parrying or blocking to try and push forward. The blades began sparking on contact as Rarity continued her push. The look in her eyes reminded Jade of a predator, and she found herself scared as she continued to block. Finally, with an audible snap, Seam Ripper pushed through Jade's rapier entirely, hitting the mare hard in her other shoulder and knocking her to the ground.

“Winner: Lady Rarity!” Espionage announced as Rarity offered Fel Jade a hoof.

Pulling her up, Rarity leaned in close and gave her a hug. “Now, Deary, we need to have a little talk,” she whispered. “Don’t scream, don’t whimper, don’t move. Just smile, listen, and act like everything’s fine. Nod if you understand.”

Fel Jade’s breath caught in her throat. Was she going to die? Was this how she died? she wasn’t dressed to die! she let out small whimper.

“Oh, darling, you whimpered. I told you not to do that,” Rarity tutted softly. “I’m offering this to you as a professional courtesy. Since you’re a fellow noble, I’ll give you one opportunity. Hammer Strike is off limits. If I see you try something like that again, I will come for you. And you, of all ponies, know just how sharp my blade is. Are we clear?”

Fel jade whimpered again. “Yes,” she squeaked.

“I said no talking. That’s a good girl. Now, play along in three … two … one.” She stepped away. “She’s alright,” Rarity said, smiling. “Good match, Fel Jade.”

“G-good match, Lady Rarity... dear?” Fel Jade’s voice was faint as she backed away from Rarity. “Oh, well look at the sun. Is it that time already? I really should pack up and head back to Canterlot,” she said before taking off for the fort to get her bags trailing a dust cloud behind her. Her training suit was all but in shambles thanks to Rarity’s swordsmanship.

“Awwww, going so soon? Do send our regards to Blueblood, won’t you, darling?” Rarity asked as she turned to her chosen stallion before approaching him and taking him up in yet another kiss.

After a moment passed and the kiss broke, Hammer Strike gave her a smile. “Thank you for that. I don’t know how much longer I would have lasted with her and her group here.”

“I think it’s safe to say we won’t be bothered for a long while,” Rarity said with a self-satisfied smirk.

“I think I’ll believe you on this one.”

“Of course. I always deliver on my promises, dearie. Always.”


“Those of you here will begin what is one of the most important endeavors of your magical career.” Sitting on work tables before the gathered Unicorns were large tubs filled with many different staff bodies, gemstones, and resins. Next to them a series of several rune stones and reference textbooks waited to be opened and used. Clover summoned her staff in a puff of smoke. “Your magical focus will act as your weapon on the battlefield. It also serves to amplify your magic when focused through it. Today, you will choose the materials for your staff. Before you, I have included the basic implements. A successful focus should contain organic and inorganic matter, a gemstone, and as an additional option, you may attach a weapon of your choice. But above all else, your focus must contain a piece of you. And remember, not all focuses are staves. Be creative. You're crafting what will hopefully be a most cherished partner. Are there any questions?”

“What if we don’t have anything that we can use to put in the staff that represents a piece of us? Would something like a hair do, or does it need to be something more specific and personal?” Vital asked.

“A piece of yourself could be anything as long as it defines you,” Clover answered. “Songebreeze the Serene once etched the notes to a song she wrote on her staff.”

“Is there a limit to weapon material, or anything that those who wish to place a blade on their focus should keep in mind?” Silver Spear asked as he reviewed the materials in their respective containers.

“Remember that balance is key,” Clover told them. “Magic exists in balance and must always maintain that balance. Darkness must shadow light, chaos must disrupt order, life must end in death. Be sure to keep the organic and inorganic properties in a reasonable ratio of each other. It need not be a perfect match, but the closer the better.”

“So if we don’t have anything personal we can think of at the moment, can we have some time to find our personal addition?”

“I have sectioned off the next three days to build your focus. That is how long you have to find what best represents you,” Clover said sternly.

Vital Spark nodded his head in understanding. “Thank you.”

“Understood, Milady.” Silver Spear answered.

“Anypony else?” she asked, looking around. “When you are ready, approach me about your gemstone.”

“So we get to pick any of these items?” Vital asked. “With the exception of the gems, I mean.”

“You have to pick these items, much like a swordsmith should choose his own steel. This is very important, as this focus will shape your career.”

Vital nodded. “Alright. Let’s get to work, then.” He approached the container and began to sort through the various bodies. “You guys coming?”

The others began sorting through possible choices quietly, all of them holding a look of intense concentration. Eventually, Vital Spark came across an old, gnarled-looking staff. The wood was a dark, dull grey with a mid-sized shaft that shone with a silvery sheen when the light hit it right. At its crown, a series of knot-like protrusions curved out like spinning petals. “Not sure if I like the color, but the weight feels about right,” Vital said as he swung experimentally.

“It’s ironwood,” Clover explained. “Strong, light, and flexible. That's a good choice for a staff shaft.” She nodded.

“What did you pick, Silver Spear?” Vital asked.

Silver Spear looked at the staff on the table. “Well, I got two of the items finished. This wood is the same material used by the Equestrian Military, and I have my ornamental spear head my father gave me as a gift. I’ll be using that to add a piece of me to it.”

“Awesome. I’m afraid I don’t know what I’m going to do for my personal touch yet, but at least I can get the gemstone for it. I’ll figure something out back at my room.”

Silver Spear smiled warmly at Vital Spark. “We have three days to plan. I think the first day is to gather materials. The tough part’s going to be crafting it. Still, good luck, and be warned, I’ve heard the focus can change as the Unicorn does.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Vital nodded. “So, should we see about our gems, then?”

Silver chuckled. “Why don’t you go up? I’ll be right behind you.”

“Um, okay,” Vital said uncertainly as he approached the bin of gems in front of Clover. “So uh … how does this work exactly?”

“Put your hoof on the array,” Clover said, gesturing to a small chalk drawing that had been inscribed on the bin with a series of runes and magical insignias. Vital hesitantly did so.

“Now what?”

“Concentrate your magic and let the spell do the rest,” she told him.

“Okay.” Vital spark closed his eyes and his horn ignited. ‘Don’t mess up, don’t mess up, don’t mess up,’ he repeated over and over in his mind.

Then everything changed. A golden light slitted vertically in his mind's eye, then burst open, consuming his vision. Suddenly he was very small, floating in the air, a tiny wisp amongst planetoids. The giant spheres shone all around him in every color imaginable and numerous combinations. As he floated amongst them, he found himself brushing against one of the larger ones. It was clear and bright, amplifying the colors of those around it, but when he touched it, a chill ran down his spine. He saw battles, charges, combat, and bravery midst utter terror and the certainty of demise. Still, despite that positive quality, it felt wrong, and so he shied away from it and carried onwards.

The next planetoid he visited was calming and blue like water. When he brushed against it he found himself in a sea of scrolls, books, and other forms of knowledge. Generals were asking his opinions on tactics and fortification. Still, this too felt wrong and he detached from it. He visited many other planets: the fires of innovation, the tranquility of honor, the gold light of love, but they all felt wrong, until, finally, he felt a pulse.

He was drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Galaxies seemed to blaze past him until he stopped before a large white sphere. It burned with heat, but unlike the others, it was welcoming and warm: a kind, embracing heat that drew him in. Upon contact, he found visions of himself giving gifts to those in need or downtrodden, bringing light and happiness to others. Memories of love given and expressed in the form of service and blessings, hugs and handshakes, words of wisdom through loving advice and listening, surged through his mind. For the first time in a long time, he felt a surge of happiness the likes of which he had not experienced in many a year. This felt right. This was who he truly was. He would give all he could to those in need. He would continue to be honest, faithful, loving and true. He embraced the warmth and in an instant found himself back in his body before the box of gemstones. A large white pearl bobbed gently in his magic.

“... What was that?” Vital asked as he removed his hoof from the spell array.

“That was your core finding what best represents it,” Clover said. “I know it can be a little disorienting, but it’s the best way to make sure you get the best stone.”

“Oh.” Vital looked at the gem. “Well, I guess it kind of fits. I can be pretty fragile, just like this pearl is.” He chuckled. “But I can be pretty tough when I need to be, I suppose.”

“You were molded with love and careful shaping by your parents. Because of that, you reflect the gentle nature of their love by being giving of yourself to others.”

“Aww shucks, when you put it that way …” Vital blushed violently as he stepped aside. “Thanks, Clover.” He picked up his staff shaft and smiled.

“Use it well. The pearl is capable of great things when utilized correctly.” Clover smiled at him. ‘Especially considering I never placed a pearl in that box in the first place,’ she thought to herself.


Hammer Strike grinned as he looked around New Unity. Fel Jade and her support had left, Rarity was up in her room working on some design requests that the troops asked for. Morale was high with the leaving of Fel Jade, and for a change, today felt like it was beginning to get better.

He gave a sigh of relief as he stretched his neck, giving a few cracks. He thought to himself on a place to practice with a new weapon. He had time to spare, paperwork was finished, all of their equipment was up to his standard, and he could do what he wanted.

“Hey Hammer Strike,” a familiar voice broke the silence. “What are you smile’n like an idiot for?”

“I feel better. Fel Jade is gone, Rarity is here, morale is up,” he replied. “I feel almost relaxed.”

“Ah, well, I got some bad news fer’ ya,” Demolition Grenado said. “Some other pony just came here from Canterlot, he calls himself Typhoon or something like that, some type of windstorm.”

“Hurricane?”

“Aye, that’s the one.”

“What do they want?” Hammer questioned. “And do you know which Hurricane it is?”

“I dunna’ anything about these Hurricane ponies, but he says he’s got some business with ya. I think he wants a fight.”

“I wonder if he wants to break the record…”

“Should I let him in or kill him? Cause Charge’s got this new sword he wants to test out…”

“No killing Canterlot ponies unless they are of serious threat. As said, I don’t want to deal with the outcry from the other nobles of Canterlot.”

“Fine,” he growled.

“Shall I cancel the order of ‘Celestia’s Beard,’ Grenado?” Hammer Strike questioned, his tone hinting his warning. “I heard you and Charge were looking forward to trying said rum.”

“... Yes, sir,” Grandao relented before storming towards the gate. “Hey, Charge, put your eyelander away. Boss says ta let him through!” A few minutes later the sound of the gate opening echoed through the fortress.

The Pegasus that walked into the room walked with the typical high born stride and wore a red military cape draped across his back that hung limply, though still gave the impression of grandeur and toughness. A black visored cap sat on his head to keep the sun out of his eyes. His Steel Battleship Grey coat and wings contrasted with his yellow and black streaked tail and mane. He removed the dark sunglasses to reveal angry grey eyes as he looked around the compound. He gave a polite, albeit curt nod to the guards around the courtyard. “I am Storming Hurricane, and I‘m here to challenge Lord Hammer Strike of New Unity to a Timed Duel, if he is bold enough to face me.”

‘Not even two sentences in and I’m sure a majority of the personnel here already don’t like you,’ Hammer thought to himself. “Any other terms you want for the match?” he asked.

“Hoof to hoof, I’ll be armored and you won’t. We’ll make it like the old stories. I last three minutes, I win.”

“Don’t want any handicaps to help you?” Hammer shrugged. “So be it.”

“Don’t need it,” he answered with a smirk.

“Come on, to the sparring area.” Hammer Strike led him, followed by a small group of guards as bits passed between hooves.

Hammer Strike entered the ring. Storming Hurricane entered a little later, having changed out of his cape and visored cap. He now wore light Pegasus Armor that covered his entire body. What few places were exposed had been been covered with chainmail to protect his flanks. His wings encased in armor with a blade on each feather. He had a helm with the visor up to allow him to look at the Earth Pony. “When this day is done, I shall return home to inform the High Duke Hurricane that his stories are just that. Stories.”

“...Yeah. Sure…” Hammer Strike gave his famous flat stare. “Are you ready?”

Hurricane lowered his visor and stood defensively, ready for attack.

“Grenado, time it.”

Grenado opened his muzzle to count only to let out a long loud belch. “One, go!” He shouted before flopping over.

Storming Hurricane took to the air like a speeding Wonderbolt. He stood in the air just for a moment before diving to the ground, skimming and leaving a dust wake as he punched Hammer Strike in his left shoulder before arcing swiftly back up into the air. To those spectating, it was akin to watching a shining metal streak start in the air, race along the ground, hit Hammer Strike, and speed away over and over again. At last the streak stopped, hovering in the air with the sun behind him. Storming waited a moment until he had Hammer Strike’s attention. He grinned in triumph as the Pony lord squinted in the light, then he dive bombed straight down, for a crushing blow to the back.

Hammer Strike kept his eyes on Storming as he dived down at him, waiting for just the right moment. As soon as he was within ten feet, Hammer quickly took a step back and stood on his back legs. Storming was within a foot of him now, his armored back visible as the pegasus desperately tried to change his trajectory before it was too late. Unfortunately for him, it already was. Bringing his hooves forward, Hammer Strike planted one at the base of Storming’s wings and the other along the wings themselves. There was a sudden pop before Hammer pushed against his back, using Storming’s momentum to slam him into the ground.

The impact kicked up a large amount of dirt into the air, covering the two. A few moments later, it cleared, revealing Hammer Strike standing before a small crater. Storming lay on his belly in the bottom of said crater, his head moving slightly in a circular motion as his eyes swirled in his head. He let out a low moan. He was dazed, definitely out of the fight. Still, he wasn’t unconscious yet, which was a feat in and of itself.

“Congrats, you lasted twenty-six seconds and you’re still awake,” Hammer commented, looking down to Storming. “The fight’s over.”

“But grandsire, how can an Earth Pony hit so hard?” Storming asked, his voice slurred and plaintive as a foal’s.

There you are!” A harsh, grating voice snapped from the air as another Pony, older and a little more hawkish in the eyes and nose snapped. “I am Lighting Hurricane, leader of the Hurricane clan and I demand access to tend to my grand colt. No matter how insane he may be.”

“Lightning, good to see you again,” Hammer commented as he looked to said Pegasus.

Lighting Hurricane quickly landed and gave a military salute to Hammer Strike. The Ponies around were shocked at how well his name matched his body, from the stormy electric orange eyes to his grey coat that resembled a Storm Cloud, along with a black mane, streaked with yellow highlights like bolts of lightning. Even the cutie mark he had displayed on his flank bespoke his name: two crossed lightning bolts surrounded by a tornado. He looked to Hammer Strike. “I don’t recall the old stories stating that you left your opponents with dislocated limbs. Did you at least help set them after the fight?” As he got closer to the ground, the troops eyes widened even further. Lightning was almost as tall as Big Mac, and with wings to match.

“Depended on who I fought. If you really want me to, sure, I’ll help the poor colt out.”

“Please do, because I am not going to trust some wishy washy Canterlot doctor who hasn’t so much as cracked his books on Pegasus anatomy. Do you have any idea what that could do if his wing joint pops out again midflight?”

“I swear, medical books in the past gave plenty of information on this, how can doctors in a well funded environment not know this stuff?” Hammer questioned as he walked over to Storming, preparing to place the wing back into place.

“Oh if we were in Cloudsdale I would trust, but it seems that the “best” doctors are Unicorns. I swear, the Pegasi can be nurses, but it has to be some Unicorn who gets to be the healer and they don’t even know what they’re doing!”

“You’re telling this to someone who neither has wings or a horn.” Hammer commented as he pushed the joint back into place with a pop, resulting in Storming crying out in pain.

“Yet you set the Hurricane’s wing in the past. How many times? How many times did you fix the wings of a soldier under your control?” He ignored the scream. “I trust you more than any of those doctors. I am pushing to allow Pegasus Doctors to practice, but certain noble circles are finding it offensive. The Unicorn nobility seem more and more out of touch with each generation.”

“A little,” Hammer Strike said, dusting off his coat. “To be honest, I trusted the doctors of The Third Gryphon War more, and their medical standards were out of date or dangerous. Doesn’t help that even Celestia struggles to heal me as well...”

“Well,” Lighting began. “Shall we adjourn for some tea while the nurse on the edge of the field tends to my grand colt.” He smiled broadly as his eyes glinted predatorily. “I’d love to discuss some tactics, and maybe a few good lessons to teach young Storming here about how actions have consequences. A smack on the hoof seems a bit too light of a punishment this time.”

“Hah, you thought I was going to let him off for this? Colonel Hurricane would have stuck around due to both being injured, and he might have bet a few times that he would beat his time and didn’t.”

“Then shall we discuss where he shall room?” Lighting Hurricane asked, chuckling darkly.

“Room next to the forge. Who needs sleep anyways?”

“Those of us who aren’t immortal gods of war and death?” Lighting responded with a chuckle. “But I think at least have the weekends be military hours.”

“I thought you didn’t want to go easy on him.” Hammer Strike grinned.

“I’m not. He’s not going to be in Canterlot. He won’t be able to sleep in on the weekends anymore either.” He sighed. “In a way, I envy him. If I was younger, I’d be volunteering to train here in a heartbeat.”

“You’ll have to tell me more over tea,” Hammer Strike commented as he gestured him towards the entrance to New Unity while the guards lifted the near comatose Storming to transport to the infirmary.


Fizpot huffed and buzzed his wings in annoyance as Lunar Fang placed Moon River, his master and source of confliction within his mind in the carrying sack that had been placed on his side. “Yes, Mistress,” he muttered forlornly to Lunar Fang. He couldn’t help but feel the nourishing love the foal gave him: unfiltered, pure, the kind that only a baby could have. He could feel where his horn broke itch as his body repaired himself, causing a sense of fear to grow. He was without a hive. After three days of being unable to report, the queen had severed his link.

“Now, Fizpot,” Lunar Fang started in on another lecture, “tonight, seeing as Moon River is starting to sleep a little longer,” did he note a hint of disbelief in the mistress’ voice? “you are going to be taking her to meet with Me-Me’s hive. It is your choice whether you want to join with her or not, but she knows that your role, no matter what, is guardian for Moon River until Pensword returns home, at which point I am using first wife law of the herd to make you Butler for our household.”

Fizpot’s face contorted in horror and confusion. Butler, that was a coveted infiltrator’s role, and here he was being assigned it? What was this mare thinking?

He was drawn away from his thoughts as Moon River burbled and giggled yet again. She had been on the verge of speech for quite some time, a feat at which he was truly amazed. Only hatchlings could mature so quickly. He frowned. This family was by far the strangest he had ever encountered and here he was, right in the middle of it.

“Thinky!” He heard a cry of joy from Moon River and he sat down and lightly hit with a soft toy. That word brought him away from his musings long enough to realize that he was worried. He was actually worried. This was not the queen’s worry, but his own. He felt emotions, independent thought not guided by any Queen. He looked down at Moon River as he desperately tried to grasp at anything left of his old life. “My ... queen?” He asked, confused. Moon River made a sour face and blew raspberries at him.

Lunar Fang stared in shock at this situation, but quickly regained her composure. “I think Duchess would be fine to use.”

“As you wish, mistress.” he looked down at Moon River and smiled awkwardly, showing his changeling fangs. “As you wish, ... my Dutchess.”

Moon River giggled and cooed, baring her fangs in kind with a childish smile. “Vampy!” She cried, giggling as she bounced herself in the pouch. “Vampy!”

Fizpot sighed. It seemed a nightmare form he had used to scare foals as a means to become the rescuer had become this foal’s favorite shape for him. He closed his eyes and green fire erupted around him. Unlike the attack drones, his flame was cool to the touch and burned nothing, yet what emerged was a dark black leathery-winged creature with a blood red moon silhouetted by a bat for a cutie mark. Fizpot opened the wings for the foal as hypnotic red eyes glowed on the undersides of the membrane. He smiled, showing his much more prominent fangs. He cackled madly for added effect. He would have struck a truly frightening figure if not for the fact he was wearing a pouch holding a Thestral foal who was laughing her head off with childish joy, waving her hooves around trying to boop his nose.


Avalon stared out the window, pondering as the ship passed silently through the clouds. The Die Kling was certainly maneuverable, and apparently very good at stealth. She sighed as she held on to her focus.

“Beak for your thoughts?” Jorund asked as he walked up behind her.

“I’m just worried about Grif. I mean, what if something went wrong? What if he’s hurt?”

“Then our job’s already over and they're all dead,” Cheshire joked. “It would take more than a flock of sparrows to take the boss down.”

“We’re not talking about a flock. We’re talking about three armies,” Avalon reminded her. “And we’re supposed to be the cavalry.”

“I suppose it’s a good thing Grif took the Winds Father out of this. Still, it would have been good to have the aid of the peop--” Jorund was cut off as a loud clang echoed through the air around and above Gryphelheim, another soon joined afterwards and another. Soon the sound of bells echoed throughout the city. “That’s impossible…. Someone get me a spyglass!” A few minutes later one was brought to him and he looked down below. “It’s coming from the cathedral. The people are rallying. They’re attacking Grask’s soldiers!”

“How?” Avalon asked. “I thought Grask had the senior monks in his pocket already.”

“You mean you haven’t heard the news?” Chesh asked, grinning like her namesake. “All bow before his humble eminence, Grothnir Cloudclaw The Humble, as chosen by the avatar himself, long may he speak for our beloved spirits.” She laughed as she shouted the words to the surprise of most present.

“When?” Avalon asked.

“Last night, after you went to sleep. He wanted to have one more duck in the row for us in case things went wrong. Grif said it was the fact that Jiraac Cloudclaw considers himself unworthy that made him perfect for the role.”

“I take it Grask isn’t going to be too pleased.” Avalon couldn’t help but smirk. Chesh’s grin was contagious.

“That was the icing on the cake.” Chesh laughed.

“Either way, it gives us a much better chance of getting through. Now, if we can just keep the skies clear, we’ll be halfway to the hardest point.” Jorund looked to Avalon. “How much can you do?”

“It’s difficult to say. I haven’t really been able to test the limits of my focus yet.”

“Ships incoming!” the look out shouted as numerous airships emerged from the cloud banks set on a clear intercept course.

“Well, it looks like you’ll be getting an opportunity to stretch your muscles,” Jorund noted.

Avalon looked grim. “I’ve never tried anything that large before. I’ll need Snowy if I’m going to do this. Can you outmaneuver them until I get back?”

“I flew this old bird through a wind tunnel as it was fightin’ with a hurricane,” the grizzled old crane-jaguar Gryphon at the helm said as he turned the wheel. “I think I can keep her in the air long ‘nuff for you ta get back here.”

“Thank you, Captain. In the meantime, Jorund, you’d better get whatever weapons this vessel’s got ready to go. I’ll meet you and your men out on the deck.” With that, Avalon left, flying out of the cabin and down in the the ship’s bowels.

“You heard her, gunnery sergeant, how's the ship stocked for ordinance?” Jorund asked another Gryphon. This one was a much smaller ocelot-gannet mix with a fierce look in his eye. He’d clearly seen battle as his left eye was covered by an eye patch and accented by a scar running down to his beak.

“We have forward mounted swivel ballistas and we have a fresh catch of lighting in the hull so we have a full stock of thunder harpoons,” the sergeant said. “I’m afraid this ship is old, sir. I don’t know what else we could throw at them besides the crew firing arrows.”

“We’ll make do, boy. Now get those harpoon guns up and running. We’ve got a blockade to run.”


Pensword looked out from the abandoned shop that he, Cosy, the Demon Damned, and fifteen of his own Dream Clan members waited for the signal. He took a steady breath. Three of his brothers were dead already, and he was doing his best to keep his rage in check. He paused as the bells began to toll through the city. He looked to his left. “Captain of my Damned, what is going on out there?”

“The Winds Father is rallying the people against Grask,” the Gryphon said, elated. “They’re fighting for the emperor!”

“Okay, first off, the Winds Father is dead, unless they had a successor designated from the start, so what is happening? Second, we should provide backup to those fighting Grask.”

“Yes, we should. And according to the law, it was the Avatar’s choice since there was no chosen successor. Call the charge, sir and we’ll follow your lead.”

Pensword took a breath before smiling widely. He let Matthew pick the charge yell. “OVER THE TOP, TROOPS!” He roared as he jumped through a broken window. His wingblades took out the head of an enemy Gryphon. Behind him, the others followed. The street was clear in a matter of moments. They turned and charged down the street to a courtyard and hit the enemy in the left flank as a group of residents fired arrows from the second story windows. Yet again the struggle was over in a matter of minutes.

The group rested for the moment around a damaged fountain. It was an ornate column with a bowl spilling four streams of water into a larger basin. Pensword sat on the ground with his men when a small Fledgling walked over holding a bowl of water to the group. He handed it to Pensword first, and while the commander blinked in surprise, he took the offering and drank from it gladly. Soon other children had surrounded them and were serving them while checking wounds. He heard a series of caws as a flock of Gryphonesses hastily shooed the children away with their wings. Pensword looked to his new Demon Damned. “Did you have to carve my cutie mark on your armor?” They heard the sound of blade and metal upon metal further on, but had been told to wait for the moment. He looked to the roof tops where six of his Clan Thestrals were scanning the area for a quick way to the Castle,

“We didn’t know your clan symbol,” one Gryphoness said. “It was the next best thing.”

“My clan symbol?” he asked, confused before looking to the his Thestrals. “That is something only meant for those born or fully adopted into a clan.” He looked at the chest plates. “Still, in pony society, from a thousand years ago, you are currently acting as if you will be the personal warriors of the one whose cutie mark you now bear on your armor.” He shook his head. “We shall discuss this later.” He stood up as a Thestral walked up to him. She handed him a map, then gave a nod before walking towards one of the exits. Pensword looked to the others. “Captain Kahn, stay with Cosy. Cosy… stay sharp and listen to Kahn’s advice.” He waited for the nods. As per his military training, he ordered that there would be no saluting in combat.

He looked up to the sky and watched as the Die Klein passed overhead on the way to the palace. “Double time, double time! We have to be able to reach that target and hit while the front lines are distracted by our allies in the air.” As he and his ragtag troops stood, other Gryphons emerged to join them. They nodded to him gravely. It seemed that while he was not going to command, Pensword was going to have camp followers to help lend power through flanking maneuvers. “To Defend the Nest!” he yelled, using a war cry he heard earlier from those that lived in this area. He wasn’t sure what this would do coming from The Demon, but for now, he pushed that thought aside. He would focus on securing the escape and retreat later. He was not about to allow someone like Grask to take the throne.

As they flew through, Matthew absently thought of his world and a strange country called Europe. While everything here was made of stone or carved from a mountain, it still reminded the human in him of the small villages in that continent that the Americans had to fight through during World War Two. He paused and mentally shot Matthew a look of absolute bewilderment. Humans had called two wars. Two total world wars. Astounding. He shook his head to regain his focus on the upcoming battle and prayed that his letter advising about the coup had reached Princess Celestia before Grask’s Equestrian plans could have a chance to start.


Princess Celestia sat calmly in her castle’s diplomatic chambers on a large cushion. A table had been set up for tea. She glanced at the rolled scroll that sat under her left hoof and smiled as the doors opened, heralding the arrival of the Gryphon ambassadors. These Gryphons were different from the last time.

“So, judging by your smug expressions and the fact you’re completely different from the others, I assume that there has been a change of power?” She asked as she casually took a sip of her tea, hiding her smug smirk. The three Grypons glanced at each other. “I have been on the throne for over a thousand years. I can tell when a coup has happened. Usually the faces change, the old faces are sent back to your homeland to be questioned. Either they join, disappear, or become an example for others if they hold to their old loyalties.” She set the teacup down. “What is it that this new Emperor wishes from Equestria?”

“His Holiness, Lord Grask, wishes for very few changes from the current accords. Equestria shall remain out of governmental matters. He also desires that once hostilities have ceased in the Empire, you would journey back to Gryphelheim to discuss matters to benefit both our nations, and possibly to bring your niece so that Gryphonia and the empire may establish peaceful negotiations,” the first of them, a tall crow-panther mix said.

Celestia set her teacup down slowly, then laughed jovially. “Ah, that old plot. I do admire the addition you made for Cadence, though. That one was new. However, if I recall, Prince Bellacosa is the Crystal Empire’s representative, and he is currently on a diplomatic mission. If the coup has not harmed him, I think he will do well speaking to Grask.” She laughed again behind a hoof. “Anyways, as I was saying, three times I have been invited to Gryphelheim after the end of the Third Gryphon War. And all three times, there was an attempt on my life. While it is exciting, it got old after the third attempt.”

“I have no idea what you are referring to, Princess,” the second Gryphon, an ocelot mixed with a robin said, shocked.

Celestia smirked. “Ah, well,” she took another sip. “Please, have some tea.” She waved a hoof towards them. “Naturally, I shall honor the accords. Equestria won’t get involved.” Relief washed over the Gryphons’ beaks. “Anything else?” She asked as she casually bit into a slice of cake, followed by another sip from her teacup.

“We have received word that Emperor Grask is concerned for the safety of the Commander, Pensword and his friend, the clan leader, Grif. He thinks it may be best if you request their withdrawal.”

Princess Celestia made a show of looking concerned. “I would love to do that.” She sighed dramatically, relishing the chance to be theatrical in front of new diplomats. “However, Princess Luna has Grif on assignment already, and while I could withdraw Commander High Duke Pensword,” she set her teacup on the table and stared the three Gryphons down. “It would leave poor little Bellacosa without any real protection. As you know, The Crystal Empire has already returned, and I would hate if anything were to happen to Queen Cadence’s little brother. If you think The Demon is bad, consider what might happen with an angry Alicorn big sister.” She leveled her eyebrows and raised the teapot to pour some tea. “Also, Commander Pensword is of the Lunar Court, so I don’t have as much control as you might think over him. That particular authority belongs to my sister, Princess Luna. Shall I shedule a meeting with her for you?”

A small tremor ran through the Gryphons. “No no, it’s quite alright, but you realise we cannot assure their safety,” the second diplomat said.

Princess Celestia calmly set the teapot down and took another sip from her teacup. “Oh, their safety, I have no worries about. Even the Gryphons of today are not the warriors of a thousand years ago. If anything, what I worry is if some Gryphon were to somehow manage a lucky shot, what would the families left behind do?” She let the question hang as the Gryphons put the dots together. They began to pale. “I am quite sure Grask knows that Princess Luna has returned. The Thestrals now have their own royal houses. And finally, the Gryphon Slayers have stepped out of the mists of time. My question, my dear diplomats, is simply this. Is your emperor ready for the storm to come if harm ever falls upon those three?” She placed her teacup down and grinned. “After all, I do have access to my Ghost again.”

The diplomats began to sweat.

They all paused as a scroll appeared in the air and landed in her magic. She opened the scroll. When she lowered it, her grin had widened. “Speaking of my Ghost, I think it would be wise for you to broaden your horizons as diplomats.” She closed her eyes and her horn began to glow.


Hammer Strike gave Lunar Fang the scroll in hoof. “I’m sure Celestia would be glad to know I finally finished her sword,” he said, gesturing to the sheathed greatsword on his back.

Lunar Fang nodded and walked out of the training room to send the message to Celestia. Hammer Strike could see that she was worried. No new letters had arrived from Pensword recently.

“I’m sure he’s fine, Lunar Fang. He’s too stubborn to die by Gryphon talons. They most likely hit a delay, something along the lines of challenges by Gryphons who think they can beat him in a fight, I bet,” he called assuringly.

She stopped at the door, turned, then glared at Hammer Strike. If the shield brothers were there, they likely would have flinched. “He would have at least sent a colored ink splotch if he was too busy. We have codes for a reason.”

“Do you want me to ask Death about him, to reassure you that Pensword will be fine?”

“Yes, that would be nice. I want to know if I’m going to have to mount a revenge campaign.” She answered, her tone level, steel in her eyes.

“Alright. Death, get over here, will you?” Hammer called out as said ‘pony’ entered the room through the walls.

“Yeah, what do you want?”

“Need a favor from you.”

“And why would I agree to help you?”

“Well, I could always give you a hard time when I do finally die.”

“...So, what was this favor again?”

“Is Pensword going to die anytime soon?”

“No.”

“Is he going to die in the Gryphon Empire?”

“No.” Death shrugged. “Is that all? I’ve got a war to take care of.” Hammer Strike nodded and death disappeared through a wall, muttering the whole time.

“See? Or in this case, let me say his answer to both questions. No,” Hammer Strike said, turning back to Lunar Fang.

Lunar Fang lingered in the room for a full second as she continued to lock her gaze on Hammer Strike. Finally, she turned around with a huff. “Fine, but, still…. I can’t help feeling upset without him nearby. I’m not letting him out of my sight when he comes back. He’s missed so much of Moon River’s growth.” She sighed, opened her mouth to say something else, then closed it, shook her head, and left to deliver the letter.

Hammer Strike turned towards the practice dummies in the room. “Well, Pensword, it’s a good thing I got the good couches,” he said, unsheathing the new sword. The blade was made from pure brightsteel, stretching forward to the length of a greatsword. The base of the blade held an engraving of Celestia’s cutie mark. A polished brass guard shaped like a ”U” faced down the length of the blade. A topaz was mounted on either side in the center of the guard while four rubies were mounted symmetrically at its ends to compliment the topazes. A series of swirls had been engraved, flowing from the topaz to the rubies. The handle was wrapped with a sky blue cloth down to a bright brass rounded pommel. The blade itself was double edged, straight as a razor, and as sharp as the winter wind.

He focused on the dummies as he took a stance, holding the greatsword at the ready. While the blade was thinner than his average greatswords, brightsteel had a weight to it that worked wonderfully. He took off, slashing diagonally towards the dummy on the right before switching targets and cleaving the dummy to his left down the middle. For a final blow, he lunged forward, shoving the blade through the third dummy’s chest.

He took a few steps back and brought the sword around to his right side, focusing his magic to heat the blade and ignite it, both to test its handling of heat and to try a certain attack he had in mind. When he felt he was ready, a flash of light filled the room as he brought the blade across all three dummies to reduce them to kindling.

Or at least he thought he was going to.

Instead of slicing through the dummies, he found himself in a new room with Celestia and three Gryphons huddling against the wall in front of him. The blade barely missed them.

He frowned as he extinguished the blade, sheathing it on his back as he looked to Celestia. “I was expecting you to teleport to New Unity, not bring me here. I was right in the middle of testing the blade. Need to be careful with that. Would you have wanted this sword’s first blood to have been these three Gryphons here?”

The three Gryphons were rather fascinated, not with Celestia’s Ghost, nor Celestia’s feet of magic, but rather the burned and cleaved chair that had been sitting just to their left.

Princess Celestia remained still and serene as Hammer Strike was teleported into the room, swinging for all he was worth. She had judged her mentor correctly. “It would have been interesting,” she stated cooly. “However, I am glad that you’re here. I need a place to hold these three until the situation in the Gryphon Empire settles. You see, a coup is happening, and they represent the new order trying to rise. However, due to some recent intelligence I’ve received, the old order is still somewhat standing. At the moment we have two governments in existence and I would rather not have them both under the roof of my castle.” She nodded to the three. “They claim to represent the new Emperor Grask. Would you be so kind as to put them up in New Unity?” Hammer Strike could tell there was another meaning to her words.

“...Detain them. Got it,” Hammer replied, undoing the buckle to the sword’s sheath in order to give it to her.

“Oh, I prefer house arrest myself,” she replied with a cold chuckle.

“Eh, house arrest sounds too comfy. You know my methods by now.”

“Yes, but while we have two ‘valid’ governments, we should treat them like that. If their government just so happens to fail, we can always downgrade them.” The diplomats squawked in indignation. “It seems they have stopped admiring your new taste of furniture.”

“So you want to have them around New Unity,” Hammer Strike said as he looked to Celestia. “Their futures, not mine.” He shrugged.

“Yes, but I think they should have the chance for a personal meeting with Commander Pensword,” Celestia returned

“They’ll have a blast. Literally if Demolition Grenado or Charge get to them first…” Hammer muttered, then shrugged again as he held the sheathed blade to Celestia. “Solaire is its name.”

Celestia widened her eyes as the implication of the name hit her. “This, this is too--” She looked up at Hammer Strike. “You are replacing the blade that I ruined in my own stupidity?”

“Obviously. I’m not going to let some smith here make it. I make equipment that will last for long periods of time with proper care. They build for one lifetime.”

“Well, I thank you for your generosity. Did you wish for me to send any Smiths for you to teach? That reminds me, how are Wrought Iron, Storm Hammer, and Steel Weaver? Are they doing well in New Unity? Has Pensword been about to bend Wrought Iron at all?”

“I’d enjoy teaching other smiths, but I find it difficult sometimes, so I’d prefer to keep it minimal who I’ll be teaching. As for the three, they have been working on maintenance with random gear that’s been damaged, as well as working on a few side projects that are needed. You know, nails, hinges, that sort of thing.”

“Well, they might be getting busy soon,” Celestia said with a sly look. “However, that is a conversation for another day.” She looked towards the three Gryphons. “Does Emperor Grask have any words for some of my nobility?” She asked them. As she spoke, she took the chair into her magic and started to repair it like Rarity would a torn seam.

“N-no, your highness,” the first diplomat squeaked out.

“So you three are going to stay in New Unity for the duration of your trip,” Hammer Strike said, carefully scrutinizing each of them as he sized them up. “I’m sure I can find some rooms. You ready to go immediately?”

“W-what about our things? we need time to retrieve our belongings,” one of them said.

“You’ve got three minutes to get your things and return here. Take longer and I will hunt you down and bring you to New Unity myself.”

Celestia smiled wisely. “Maybe five minutes? If you let Luna’s guards accompany them? I’d rather not get them in too much of a panic just yet. You do trust Luna’s guards, right?”

“Certainly. And if they try to flee, I have my methods for keeping them … grounded.

The Gryphons gulped audibly. “We’d never even think of it,” one of them said weakly.

“You see, you say that now, but you seem ready to fly at the drop of a pin. And if you do think about it, I’ll personally make sure you can’t.” Hammer’s grin turned dark. “Am I understood?”

“Of course, sir!” another one said.

“Good, that’s what I wanted to hear. You’re being relocated under my roof. As such, you will abide by my rules. But don’t worry, I’m not a terrible host. I’ll make sure you feel comfortable.”

The Gryphons nodded in their terror as the Thestral Guards arrived to take them to their rooms.

PreviousChapters Next