• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 968 Views, 11 Comments

Quick Nick Fics - Nicknack



A collection of stories that I write in a speedy fashion (~3hrs per rough draft)

  • ...
3
 11
 968

Ditsy Flies With a Bumblebee

Ditsy flew through the crisp air of a bright April morning. Below her, the first flowers of spring were blooming in a grassy meadow that flowed off to the horizon, thanks to a gentle breeze that made the plants dance happily. Other than a few pastel speck pegasi in the distance, the skies were a clear, immersive blue.

In short, it was a perfect day.

Though she flew, Ditsy did it at a leisurely pace. The air rustled her golden mane and gray feathers, but it didn’t find any beads of sweat. She zipped, she looped, and she swerved, but it wasn’t work. It was a natural expression of her very being; she wasn’t in the skies as much as she was a part of them.

Time did not exist up there, so it would be difficult to say if it passed quickly or slowly. All Ditsy knew was flying; her mind had been emptied in her aerial trance. After she swooped, flipped, and zinged one more time, she did the only thing that anyone in her place would:

Ditsy giggled.

Her voice had always been soft and high, so her laughter came out as squeaky hiccups of delight. That only made her laugh harder, which tickled her mouth as the air rushed around her.

Eventually, the sun shifted to the eastern half of the sky, which put a momentary pause to Ditsy’s ritual. It was lunchtime. She’d left her picnic basket under a tree when she’d arrived, so it was easy for her to find. Inside it, she’d packed a light lunch of sandwiches and lemonade.

After lunch, the morning’s flight and the soothing, rhythmic rustling of the waves of grass washed over her. Ditsy wasn’t a lazy mare, but at that moment, a post-lunch nap in the shade sounded like a glorious idea. She dozed, drinking in the peace and the sweet scent of fresh budding flowers.

* * *

She woke up with a smile on her face. The meadow was still bright enough to tell her that she had time for more flying before she went home for the day. She’d made her mind up to do just that—as if there were any other choices on such a wonderful day—when a speck of movement caught her eye.

A fuzzy yellow bumblebee landed on one of the bright pink flowers close by. Her breath caught in wonder and delight as she saw him dance around inside it before floating up and over to another flower, and then another.

She skipped along the ground, following her new friend as he visited all his favorite flowers. Ditsy knew enough about animals and nature to not get too close—he had a job to do, and she was a giant by comparison. Still, she couldn’t keep herself from drawing nearer and nearer to the bumblebee at each flower.

Finally, it stopped, motionless. Ditsy’s heart drooped; she’d gotten too close! The bumblebee looked at her, and she looked at it. As she did, she tried to wordlessly apologize to it.

The bee buzzed its wings and resumed its bee-business.

Ditsy’s eyes lit up and her smile returned. As she continued to follow the bumblebee, a new problem arose: What should she call him? She couldn’t very well keep calling him “the bumblebee,” at any rate. She racked her mind for a name, and the next time he landed, she asked, “How do you like Mister Bumbles?”

The bee buzzed its wings again.

Ditsy took this as yet another sign of approval from Mister Bumbles, and her heart soared as she continued following him around the meadow. She got closer and closer, and he didn’t buzz in disapproval; up close, she could see he really was adorable. Fuzzy yellow fur lined his body in stripes, and his tiny stick legs were covered in globs of pollen.

Mister Bumbles led Ditsy in a long, sweeping path through the whole meadow. At one point, he stopped visiting flowers and flew higher; Ditsy flapped her wings and followed him.

He led her to his home, which stirred warm delight inside Ditsy: The pale yellow hive was swarming with hundreds of Mister Bumbleses! She hadn’t had time to meet, greet, and name them all, so she stayed back. After Mister Bumbles disappeared inside his home, she fretted; he looked so much like his friends, how would she find him again?

Moments later, a bumblebee flew over to her, buzzed one lap around her head, and continued back to the meadow. Ditsy smiled and followed Mister Bumbles as he drifted and zigzagged lazily through the air. Even though he flew at a slower pace than she was used to, she matched his every move with one of her own.

The pair continued visiting flowers for the rest of the afternoon, until the sun painted the sky a deep, ochreous hue. It was then that Ditsy knew she had to return home. With a light, contented sigh, she smiled and waved at her friend as he landed on one last flower.

“Goodbye, Mister Bumbles!”

Mister Bumbles buzzed.

That was enough for her, so after collecting her picnic basket, Ditsy flew back to her home in Ponyville. Her whole evening was lit with a warm inner glow, and later, when she nestled into her bed, she fell asleep wearing a well-earned, tired smile.

It had been a good day.