• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 3,599 Views, 62 Comments

Spanner in the Works - RK_Striker_JK_5



Discord tries to free himself with help, but Trixie throws a spanner into the works.

  • ...
6
 62
 3,599

Chapter Seven

The next morning dawned quite early for Twilight. She woke up, cleaned herself from muzzle to dock, put on a saddlebag, ate a quick breakfast and then trotted down to the library proper. A map that showed the safest route to Zecora's hut floated off of a desk and over to her. She looked it over before rolling it up and sliding it into her saddlebag. The unicorn trotted up to the door and her horn glowed as she prepared to open it.

“And where precisely are you going?”

Twilight hopped into the air, squeaking in surprise. She spun around, finding Private Tomfoolery staring a hole into her. She pasted a grin onto her face and her eyes darted back and forth. “Private!” she squeaked out. “I was just... on my way to–“

“To where?” Tomfoolery asked, trotting up to the unicorn, eyes never leaving Twilight. “I believe the plan was to wait for everypony else before going off into the Everfree. Or at least that was the idea.”

Twilight sighed and hung her head slightly. “You're right. I'm sorry. I just got a bit enthusiastic and wanting to, well, get this over with. So I figured I could go out and get to Zecora before anyone had woken up, especially those in the Everfree.” She stretched a foreleg out. “I always was an early riser, you see.”

Tomfoolery chuckled. “A good point, but there's strength in numbers.” She stepped back and waved a hoof in the direction of the library's rear. “Shall we?”

Twilight nodded and trotted back down, Tomfoolery following close behind. “Rather surprised you got up before Captain Armor,” Tomfoolery remarked.

Twilight bit back a snicker, partially succeeding. “Oh, Shiny wasn't always the go-getter he is now. There was more than one time I bounded up onto his bed, waking him up around 10 o'clock,” she said, the snicker finally breaking free. She glanced up the staircase leading to the second floor. “But he eventually grew out of that phase.”

Tomfoolery nodded. “Captain Armor is usually the first out of bed at the garrison in Canterlot, or at least Princess Cadance wakes him up early enough for him to be the first ready to relieve the Lunar Watch.”

Twilight slowed to a halt and turned her body and head to look at Tomfoolery over her shoulder. “Yeah, I guess he did start forcing himself to get up earlier once he got serious about the Guard.”

Tomfoolery glanced to the side, as if in thought. “The rest of your friends, are they as early-risers as you are?”

The unicorn paused. “Well, Rarity's always up early. It's the price you pay for owning your own business, I guess. Applejack's a farm filly, so I'm not sure she sleeps past dawn except in winter. Fluttershy's up early, too. Pinkie Pie... not sure if she ever sleeps,” she said, eyes crossing slightly. “As for Rainbow Dash...” She shook her head, sighing. “I know she said she'd be up as early as possible to get her weather duties done and get to Fluttershy's, but for Celestia's sake she thinks before noon is 'early'!”

Shining Armor trotted down from the second floor, clad in his armor. A still-sleepy Spike was on his back, arms partially wrapped around his neck. He stopped as Tomfoolery straightened to attention, returning her salute. “At ease, Private.” He looked to Twilight and leaned over in a hug. “Hey, Twiley.”

Twilight Oh returned the hug. “Hey, Shiny.” She looked over at Spike as he tottered on Shining Armor's back. Her horn glowed as she lifted him off her brother's back and set him on the floor. “Oh, Spike. I appreciate you wanting to guard us last night, but I think you overdid it a bit.”

Spike held up a claw, but it quickly dropped back down to his side. He wavered a bit on his feet before dropping back onto his hindquarters. “Can't... fall asleep,” he muttered. “Gotta... stay up to protect Twilight and Shining Armor and Tom...” His eyes screwed shut and his head bobbed forward. Spike started snoring softly into his chest, his shoulder rising up and down.

Twilight's horn lit up. A half-minute later, Spike's basket floated down the stairs and landed next to him. Spike himself soon floated up and into the basket, the blankets wrapping around him. “Nice job, Spike,” she said.

Shining Armor stood over him and nodded. “Time to stand down, soldier. You did a good job, now rest up for later.” He looked to Tomfoolery, then to Twilight. “Private, Twiley, have you eaten?”

Tomfoolery snapped to attention. “Yes, sir!” she barked out, Twilight merely nodding.

Shining Armor nodded to her. “Good. I had a light one upstairs.” He turned and trotted through the library, his horn glowing and the door swinging open. “I think we can collect everyone and meet at the edge of the Everfree Forest. With luck and skill we can wrap this up...” His words trailed off as he spied a dark mass of clouds on the horizon. “What the hay?”

The three ponies exited the library, their eyes on the clouds. A rainbow-streaked blur whizzed around them, flashes of light trailing behind it, almost a dozen other blurs trailing behind. It suddenly stopped and shot to them, quickly resolving into Rainbow Dash. She threw her hooves out in front of her, skidding to a halt mere inches from Shining Armor. “Whoa!” she cried out as Shining Armor's horn lit up and his shield appeared. “Relax, Shiny!” she said, striking a pose in midair. “Equestria's best flier's got it all under control!” She paused and looked over her shoulder at the mass of clouds. “Well, sorta. Kinda. Maybe?”

Shining Armor leaned to his left and stared at the bank of clouds. “What happened?”

The pegasi snorted and tossed her head back and forth. “Bucking thunderstorm came outta nowhere! The skies above the Everfree were clear and then BAM!” She looked back to Shining Armor, eyes narrowing. “I bet those bucking flankholes set this up in order to distract us!”


Blueblood huddled underneath a table, eyes a bright crimson. Rain poured into the room through a hole in the roof. “I hate rain!” he snarled. He looked to the Diamond Dogs, standing beneath the downpour and soaked almost to the bone. “Oh, for Auntie's sake, get out of the rain!” He shook a hoof at the downpour. “Where's Gilda? She can deal with this!”

Trixie, standing under a doorway, furrowed her brow. “Yes, where is Gilda?” She turned and trotted off, leaving Blueblood and the Diamond Dogs behind.

The petrified form of Discord wavered and tottered a bit, even though it was sheltered from the elements...


Shining Armor's teeth ground together. “Just great.” He locked eyes with Rainbow Dash. “Where are Speed Burn and Flight Risk?”

“Helping me out,” Dash responded. Her head waggled back and forth. “Gotta admit, Shiny. They're not too bad. They can almost keep up with me,” she said, smirking slightly.

Twilight grunted, gaining Dash's attention. “So, have you had a chance to go check on Fluttershy yet?”

The pegasi hung her head, sighing. “This thing came up so quickly I've barely had time to breathe, let alone fly to Fluttershy's house.” She hovered in close to Shining Armor and jabbed a hoof at him. “How good are those two you sent with her, anyway?”

Shining Armor's horn lit up and a shield formed between him and Dash. “Tenderhoof and Eagle Eye are two of the best I have.” His eyes slid to Tomfoolery. “Everypony I chose for this is among the best of the Royal Guard. I'm sure they've got things well in hoof, at least for the moment.”

Dash cocked her head to the side. “You do realize what you just said, right? Are you trying to bring about the worst that can happen?” She rolled her eyes, but a loud boom from behind caught her attention. “Ah, for the love of it!” she yelled, throwing up her forelegs. “I gotta go. Twilight, can you please go to Fluttershy's house?” she asked, hanging her head.

Twilight nodded. “You can count on me!” She cantered to the side and bowed her head slightly to Shining Armor. “I'll be back with Fluttershy as soon as I can,” She said, turning and galloping off.

Tomfoolery looked at her as she left. “Why isn't she teleporting away?” she asked, brow furrowing.

Twilight glanced at Tomfoolery over her shoulder. “Too far away!” she shouted, even while galloping. “And I need line-of-sight most of the time anyway!” She turned back to face the road, quickly turning down a bend in the and disappearing from sight.

Dash followed her departure with her eyes before turning back to Shining Armor and Tomfoolery. “I'd love to stay and chat, but–“ A loud thunderclap caught her attention. “Excuse me,” she deadpanned, slapping her hooves together, “I have some clouds to kick.” And with that she turned and sped off.


Gilda ran through the Everfree, paying no mind to the weather while stalking her prey. Her claws dug into the ground as she approached her unsuspecting victim. She had just returned from surveillance of her target's house, snarling and growling at the addition of two guardsponies. “Bucking horse apples, that's not right,” she muttered, wild eyes darting left and right. “That loser's mine to deal with.”

She hopped up, wings flaring out as she flew past trees and landed in a small clearing, right in front of her target; the Everfree's resident manticore. The manticore stumbled back, roaring. His wings flared out and his scorpion tail lashed out, stabbing the ground right in front of Gilda. The griffin snorted and grabbed the tail, yanking on it hard.

The manticore's rear swung about. He dug claws into the ground, but found no purchase. His roars quickly turned to shrieks as Gilda hopped up, grabbing its mane string into its eyes. The jewel affixed to her feathers glowed brightly. “Listen up!” she said, spittle flying from her beak. The manticore's struggles against her grip slowed, finally ceasing. His jaw slacked open and the manticore's eyes turned glassy, almost white.

Gilda took a second to chuckle before focusing once more on the manticore. “Okay, dweeb. Listen up!” She motioned to her left. “You know that loser Fluttershy, right?” She waited while for the manticore to nod before continuing. “She's got a couple of losers standing watch over her. I want you to go ahead and take them out for me. I'll come in after a little bit to finish her off. Get it?” The manticore nodded. “Good,” she said, floating back. Her smile fell away and her feathers flared out. “GO!” she screeched.

She watched as the manticore turned and bounded off. Gilda panted a bit. “Good, good. That loser, took Dashie from me. Turned her away.” Her talons curled into a ball and blood soon seeped from the palms of her claws. “Gonna make her pay!”

“Make who pay?”

Gilda swiveled around as Trixie emerged from a bush. The unicorn's horn was glowing and a light telekinetic shield was over her, protecting her from the rain. Gilda smirked and crossed her forelimbs in front of her. “Oh, hey, Trixie. It's cool. I'm about to take care of all our Element-related problems in a few minutes.”

Trixie walked forward, nodding to Gilda. “Why... how excellent of you!” she finally said. “Trixie assumes the manticore is part and parcel of this problem-solving?”

The griffin chuckled. “Yeah. You saw all that, right?” She punched the air, spinning about. “He's going on ahead to soften a pair of loser guardsponies up. Then I'm gonna swoop in for the kill on that yellow dweeb Fluttershy!”

Trixie blinked. A smile slowly formed on her mouth. “Why, Trixie thinks that's marvelous!” she said, waving a hoof at Gilda. “Very smart, too.” She raised the hoof and motioned to her forehead, waving it about in a circle. “A shame you might be late, though.”

Gilda blinked and dropped back to the ground. “What?”

The unicorn shrugged and tilted her head to the side. “Well... Prince Blueblood has been complaining about the horrid weather. The rain is pouring into our headquarters at Everfree Castle, and it's ruining his ability to plan our glorious takeover of Equestria!” Trixie stood up on her hind legs, lightning and thunder suddenly flashing. She dropped back down to four hooves, her cap sliding down over her forehead and shading her eyes slightly. “And who of our little band is the best at weather?” She waved a hoof at Gilda. “Why, you of course!”

Gilda stared at her, beak slightly open. “Me?” she finally said, pointing a talon at herself.

Trixie trotted up to her. “Well, yes. You're a griffin, went to the same school as Rainbow Dash and you're simply... awesome!” She sidled up to Gilda, grinning.

Gilda's eyes slid to the path the manticore took. “But, but I gotta go and finish off that loser!” She started growling and her eyes flashed red. “That stupid bucking–“

“Do you really think it would take that long to beat a few clouds into oblivion?” Trixie countered. “There's only a few of them, and Blueblood would be ever so grateful to you. Then you can speed off after the manticore and... finish things with Fluttershy. I'm sure the wait will terrify her even more!”

Gilda paused and rubbed her chin in thought. “Yeah... I guess.” She glanced at Trixie out of the corner of her eye before jabbing a talon at her. “You better not make me miss out on this!” she snarled.

Trixie stumbled back away from Gilda. “You won't miss a thing! Now fly off, Gilda! Blueblood needs you!”

Gilda sighed before spreading her wings and flying off, leaving Trixie alone in the clearing. The unicorn let out a breath and her entire body sagged. “Well, you're... intense.” She looked in the general direction Gilda indicated and scraped a hoof along the ground. “So, manticore against Fluttershy. Trixie will not let that stand!” She paused and swallowed. “Trixie... will do this to make sure the Elements of Harmony are not rendered useless. She goes for her greater plan and to ensure Discord does not win!” And with that she galloped off.


Fluttershy hummed a tune as she flew about her cottage, saddlebags strapped to her withers and almost bursting with pet food. She stopped in front of birdhouses, tiny little holes in the wall and several dozen dishes lined up next to the holes in the wall. She fluttered out the door, but stopped short as she saw the huge raincloud over the Everfree. “Oh, my!” she gasped out, dropping to the ground.

Guardsponies Tenderhoof and Eagle Eye trotted over to her. Both pegasi were sporting their own saddlebags full of pet food. “Miss Fluttershy, I believe Rainbow Dash is a bit busy,” Eagle Eye said, pointing to a rainbow-colored contrail whizzing about. “I doubt she'll be able to rendezvous with us here.”

Tenderhoof spoke up. “We'll stay by your side until we arrive at Ponyville, ma'am.”

Fluttershy's brow furrowed. “Oh, you're right, Eagle Eye,” she said. She smiled at the pair. “I'm so glad to have two such brave guards by my side during this crisis. Thank you very much!”

The two pegasi glanced away from Fluttershy, Eagle Eye's cheeks flushing deep red. Tenderhoof kicked at the ground and flapped his wings slightly. “Ah, thank you,” Tenderhoof said, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

A loud roar caught their attention. Fluttershy squeaked as the manticore suddenly burst through the edge of the Everfree, roaring and pawing at the ground. “M-Mister Roar? What's wrong?” she asked.

Tenderhoof and Eagle Eye swung about, closing up ranks. Their wings shot out with an audible slice through the air as they bowed their heads. “Friend of yours?” Tenderhoof asked.

Fluttershy bounded back a few steps as the manticore approached. “W-well n-normally he is. I p-pulled a thorn out of Mister Roar's paw when my friends and I went to go find the Elements, and he's been a sweetheart ever since!” She poked her head between Tenderhoof and Eagle Eye. “Mister Roar, what's the matter with you?”

The manticore clenched his jaw tight, offering no answer. Saliva trailed down the edges of his mouth and the tail swished back and forth.

Eagle Eye looked it over. “Miss Fluttershy, those mannerisms of his are not exactly inviting. Stay back while Tenderhoof and I handle this.”

Fluttershy gasped and turned to look at him. “Oh, no! Please don't hurt him! I'm sure whatever's going on can be –“

The manticore's legs tensed for a moment, then he spread his wings and flew up and towards the trio, forelimbs and claws extended. Eagle Eye grabbed Fluttershy and flew into the air while Tenderhoof cantered to the side, rising up on his hind legs and extending his armored hooves out. He danced around the manticore, jabbing his hooves at it. “Have at you!” he shouted, wings flaring open and closed with each step.

The manticore spun about with surprising quickness, lashing out with his tail and hitting Tenderhoof square in his exposed barrel. The pegasus flew back, eyes wide with pain. He hit the wire fence surrounding the chicken coop, the mesh stretching out and encircling his legs, wings and tail. Tenderhoof thrashed about, entangling his limbs even further.

Eagle Eye let out a cry as he let go of Fluttershy and dove at the manticore, whinnying and snorting. The manticore glanced up, waiting for Eagle Eye to come in close before jumping back. Eagle Eye twisted around in midair, but momentum sped him along to stop right in front of the manticore. The beast raised both paws and slammed them against the sides of Eagle Eye's head, pancaking it between the huge paws. Eagle Eye dropped to the ground with a thud, eyes half-closed. His legs kicked slightly and his chest contracted and expanded, but otherwise he was still.

Fluttershy floated down to the ground, landing by Eagle Eye. She knelt down beside him, eyes wide. “Eagle Eye? Eagle Eye!” She glared up at the manticore, her eyes seeming to vibrate. “How dare YOU!” she snarled out, Staring right at the beast. “Listen, mister. If you think–“

The manticore roared at her, the sheer sonic force whipping her mane back and sending her reeling back. Fluttershy stumbled, landing on her haunches as the manticore loomed over her, glassy eyes fixated on her. “M-Mister R-R-roar, please s-stop this...” she stuttered out. Her eyes watered as the manticore raised a paw, claws extending. “Oh, no...”

A dark cloud suddenly swirled into existence above the manticore's head and a bolt of lightning shot from it, striking it on the back. He reared back, hopping about and yelping. Three more clouds formed above him and lightning shot forth, burning his fur and leaving some nasty burn marks. The manticore moved forward, but the clouds crowded his head, sending him reeling back and howling in pain.

Trixie emerged from the Everfree, horn wreathed in magic. Her eyes were narrow and her forehead had a light sheen of sweat to it. “Get away from her!” she shouted, trotting forward down the path and quickly off of it, into the grass. She looked around, spotting a water bucket. The unicorn grunted, but the water bucket slowly rose, floating over to the manticore's head and dumping the water onto his head. The bucket soon followed, covering his entire head.

Another cloud formed and lightning struck right in front of the beast, sending it skittering back. He swiped at empty air, spinning about for a second before he gained some telekinetic assistance from Trixie, almost pirouetting. He fell forward, two bolts hitting him square on the rump and sending him howling away, clouds trailing after him and herding him into the Everfree.

Trixie walked up to Fluttershy, cape billowing behind her. “Trixie trusts you're alright?” she asked, holding out a foreleg.

Fluttershy wrapped her own foreleg around Trixie's, letting herself be pulled to her hooves. “Y-you saved me?” she asked, eyes wide. She suddenly gasped. “Eagle Eye!” She turned and galloped over to the fallen guardpony and dropped to her elbows and ankles. “Oh, please be alright!” she pleaded, nudging him.

Trixie followed after the panicky pegasus. “He's breathing normally,” she observed. “Trixie would get him to a hospital as soon as possible, though.” She turned to leave, but Fluttershy was suddenly in front of her. Trixie stumbled back, almost catching a hoof on her cape but barely managing to stay upright. “Get back!” she declared, horn glowing once more.

Fluttershy stared at her. “Trixie... thank you!” She flew forward, wrapping the unicorn up in her forelegs and squeezing. “You saved my life! You were so brave, and smart.”

Trixie wriggled in Fluttershy's grasp, squirming out. “Back, back!” she shouted. “Don't you remember? We're enemies!” She let out a tiny sigh. “Enemies... So we can't be friends!”

Fluttershy blinked at her. “But, then why did you save me from Mister Roar?” She motioned to the Everfree with an outstretched wing. “If he had hurt or...” She swallowed, “K-killed me, wouldn't your group win?”

Trixie blinked. Her cheeks colored slightly and she looked away. “For you to meet your end here would not be right.” She suddenly ran over to Fluttershy's side. Trixie raised herself up on her hind legs, wrapped one foreleg around Fluttershy's neck and waved the other around. “For WE are destined to meet in battle, Fluttershy! Warriors such as we must not meet our end by craven beasts, but by each other's hooves.” She spun around and held Fluttershy's muzzle close to her own. “Until then, keep yourself safe for that final confrontation, for on that day you and Trixie shall cross paths once more!”

The unicorn cantered back and a smoke bomb dropped from her cape. It hit the ground and exploded, obscuring Trixie from Fluttershy's vision, at least until Trixie cleared the cloud and could be spotted galloping to the Everfree at full-gallop.

Fluttershy shook her head. “Well, thank you anyway, Trixie.” She suddenly gasped. “Eagle Eye!” She flew over to him, gingerly lifted him onto her back and sped off for Ponyville General Hospital as fast as she dared, questions swimming in her mind.

Tenderhoof's head lifted slightly as a gaggle of geese waddled by. “Little help, here?”

Author's Note:

1. Sorry about the wait.
2. I shall do my best to get the next chapter out a bit... quicker.
3. I shall also go back and correct all those dash/hyphen problems as soon as I can.
4. To anyone who reads this, thank you. :)

Comments ( 12 )

:trixieshiftleft:: "I-It's not like I saved you because I like you or anything... B-Baka..."

It's alive!

Hmm, the guards are doing a pretty good job of being, well, good without being overpowering, so far. Hope that'll carry.

And I wonder what game Trixie is playing now. I'm assuming she was worried Blueblood or Discord might have been spying on her, or she would have had a good opportunity to show her colors there.

Still, it was fun to see her do the whole "worthy adversary" schtick with Fluttershy.

Also, that had to be one large bucket the Friendly Neighbourhood Trixie was hefting, to fit over Manny's whole head. He's kinda large-ish.

-----------------------------------------OMAKE----------------------------------------------

Trixie "Yes, my puppets, dance to my tune! For soon all of the cheese crackers will be mine, MWAHAHAHAHA!!"

Blue Blood cleared his throat. "Trixie?"

Trixie gasps/squeaks before quickly covering the table with her cape. "WHAT?! Knock, next time! Knock!"

"Dinners ready."

"Oh.....did you see anything?"

"No, Trixie, I didn't see you playing with your dolls again."

Glaring at the closed door Trixie uncovered the table while picking up the miniature Twilight and Trixie. "These are far more poseable then any mere doll. Isn't that right, Twilight?"

"You'll never get away with this Trixie!"

"Oh but I will Twilight, for you will soon see that good is dumb."

*Gasp!* "Liar!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"It's true, and once you've fallen under my power I'll make you wear all manner of costumes as my sexy assistant. Now kiss me you nerdy librarian."

"Oh Trixie, you cape is so big!"

"It also doubles as an air mattress."

Behind the showmare Blue Blood, Gilda, Flim & Flam as well as the Diamond Dogs continued to watch while trying not to laugh.

[Meanwhile at the Ponyville Library]

The bearers of the EoH and their guards watched Trixie's show while laughing out loud as Twilight watched the magic mirror she had painstakingly enchanted to spy on the showmare with horror as she knew she'd never hear the end of this. Looking around the room Twilights eyes briefly fell upon Pinky Pie who managed to mouth the word "FOREVER" amid her laughter.

It's back! Today is a good day. :yay:

New chapter? Check.

Good? Check.

Twixie shipping? ...No check.

You get two checks out of three...good enough, but it can be better hinthint.

4150095 XD that was clever. You do anymore Omakes for the story?

4154180

Not for this story, though I have been posting some funny bits/omakes/??? for some stories on SpaceBattles.com (Not Quite SHODAN, She Returns, Detox. Just to name a few):pinkiehappy:

4149179

A Tsundere Trixie. Trixieshy. Fluttermoon? Meh. Either way, first time I've ever seen that.

One of my favorite stories from before I made an account. I hope you haven't abandoned it.

Is this story gonna continue on

Login or register to comment