• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 3,598 Views, 62 Comments

Spanner in the Works - RK_Striker_JK_5



Discord tries to free himself with help, but Trixie throws a spanner into the works.

  • ...
6
 62
 3,598

Chapter Four

The bright-blue beam of magic struck Twilight square in the chest, rapidly expanding and enveloping her body. There was a white flash of light, quickly fading and leaving Twilight still there, rapidly blinking. She raised a foreleg and rubbed her eyes. “That was painful. Trixie, what the hay...” Her voice trailed off as she felt cloth on her foreleg, a foreleg that had been bare before. She held it away and saw a sleeve of white and black diamonds in a checkered pattern. She looked to her other foreleg, then looked all around at the jester's outfit she now wore, complete with floppy cap.

Trixie barked a laugh. “Hah! Now everypony can see that you're nothing but Celestia's court jester, Twilight Sparkle!” She jabbed a foreleg at the unicorn. “That makes up for the humiliation Trixie received during her show!”

Blueblood's jaw opened, but the only sound that came out was incoherent grumbling and sputtering. “I – ah – how is – “ He finally shook his head, his eyes sparking. The two jewels on his cravat flared a bright red. He stomped on the ground, snorting. “How dare you pull such trivial nonsense when we have a mission of the utmost importance!”

Trixie rolled her eyes, not even turning to face Blueblood. “Don't worry. Trixie's scheme is multi-layered, my dear Blueblood.” She stalked forward, eyes on Twilight. “First humiliation, then we get to other stuff.” She stopped a few inches from Twilight, eyes narrowed and muzzle twitching. “Trixie hasn't forgotten the last time she was in Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle. Nor have any of Trixie's 'friends'.” Without warning she turned on her hind hooves and galloped off, past a bewildered Blueblood and around the library.

Twilight's eyes darted back and forth. “Wait, 'friends'? What are you talking about?” She growled and rolled her eyes. “I do not have time for this, Trixie!” she shouted, galloping after the azure-coated unicorn.

The stallion stood there. The two jewels dimmed for a moment and he shook his head. “Wait, was this part of the plan?” He stomped a hoof. “Trixie, come back here at once. Your prince demands it!” His head whipped back around as Spike exited the library. “You'll do,” he said, the jewels and his eyes shimmering.


Twilight followed Trixie around the library. “Trixie, get back here at once!” she shouted. “Discord's statue was stolen last night and we've got to find it!”

Trixie tossed back her head and a small ball flew out of her cloak as it billowed out from her sides. It bounced off an exposed tree root before exploding, releasing a large cloud of smoke in Twilight's path. Twilight dug her hooves into the grass, but was quickly engulfed by the cloud.

Twilight's horn quickly lit up, but Trixie's voice echoed in the cloud. “Do you really think Trixie would be foolish enough to use a smoke bomb that could be so easily repelled? It's enchanted to be resistant to telekinesis. Besides, dispel the smoke and Trixie runs away. And with Trixie's skill in illusion and sleight of hoof, you'll never find her.” Her voice lost some of its inflection. “And aren't you the least bit curious as to what Trixie and Blueblood are doing here?”

Twilight's horn dimmed slightly. “I figure it's some sort of revenge scheme over imagined and overblown slights against you. Well, you bragged and boasted and humiliated those who got onto the stage. As for Blueblood, he acted like a conceited, privileged flankhole who treated Rarity like dirt.” A sly smile crossed her face. “But I'll admit you're still a better pony than he is, Trixie. You were entertaining at least. So why not ditch him? A simple apology and I think we can put this behind us.”

The smoke froze for a moment. “I see what you're trying to do, Twilight Sparkle. A noble effort, but wasted. Trixie knows what she's doing.” There was a pause before she continued. “And... thank you. But that's not important!” The smoke flashed, brightening from gray to a blinding white, causing Twilight to flinch and close her eyes. “Wait, what the hay?!”

A strong wind kicked up, blowing the smoke away with such force Twilight stumbled a bit. She looked around, spotting Trixie only a half-meter in front of her. The unicorn blinked before looking past Twilight's shoulder. “Blueblood, what the hay do you think you're doing?! Put him down. He's not part of the plan!”

Twilight spun around, finding herself muzzle-to-muzzle with Blueblood. Spike floated next to him, encased in a telekinetic field. “Trixie, for the love of Tirac, we don't-”

He was interrupted as Twilight launched herself at him, forelegs extended and a crazed look in her eyes. “PUT SPIKE DOWN NOW!” she bellowed, knocking the stallion off his hooves. She rolled away from him, her own horn lighting up and catching Spike. “Spike, are you all right?” she asked.

Trixie merely let out a sigh. “And that was why Trixie wanted to leave Spike out of anything.”

Spike touched onto the grass and ran to Twilight, stubby arms held out. “Yeah, I was until Blueblood grabbed me like that.” He wrapped his arms around Twilight's neck, hugging her. “Thank you, now kick their flanks!”

Blueblood's mouth curled up and he let loose with a guttural chuckle. “Do you really think you can stop me, Twilight Sparkle? The Element of Magic is nothing compared to the powers I now command!”

Trixie let out a small gasp end held a foreleg up to her forehead. “No, Blueblood. Don't tell her about-”

He glanced down at the jewels on his cravat. “Yes, the powers of Lord Discord are at my command!” He tossed his head back, his eyes wide and twitching. The area around him darkened, the sun simply not reaching him. “With the Elements of Discord, we shall free him and right all the wrongs we have endured and suffered from you!”

Twilight stared at Blueblood, mouth open. She looked back to Trixie. “Are you two out of your bucking minds?! You're the ones who stole Discord's statue?” Her horn flared. “We stopped him before, and well stop his minions.”

Trixie regarded her. “Be careful with the terms you throw around, dear Twilight. Words can do quite a bit of damage.” Her own horn lit up and she began walking to her right. She glanced up at Blueblood. “You missed Trixie's cue.” She jerked her head to the side. “Come on!”

Blueblood's eyes shot from Twilight to Trixie. “My what?”

Trixie groaned. “We're supposed to circle around her while talking about how doomed she is! Don't you remember Trixie's plan?”

Twilight looked to Spike, then to Trixie. “And we're gonna stand here and let you do that why, again?”

Spike shrugged. “I think Trixie and Blueblood read too many Daring Do novels, or have just plain lost it.” he twirled a claw around the spines on his head. “Definitely got some screws loose.”

Twilight's eyes locked onto Trixie. Her head lowered slightly and her horn flared, sending out a rippling beam of magic aimed straight at the showmare. It struck her... and kept right on going, striking a tree and producing a loud bang.

'Trixie' wavered, turning translucent. “Illusion is not my only ability, but it's one of my best,” she said. She looked askance. “Someponies think it's all Trixie can do. Never could figure that out.” The image looked back to Twilight. “You'll never catch Trixie, Twilight. She's long gone from here and you're just too-”

Twilight tilted her head up and fired into one of the library's branches, striking near Trixie's hiding spot. Trixie dropped down, landing heavily on her hooves, her entire body shaking from the impact. She stumbled to the right, grunting. “Okay, not smart,” she muttered, coughing.

Blueblood's nostrils flared. “I have had ENOUGH!” he bellowed, catching Twilight's, Spike's and Trixie's attentions. He looked to the azure showmare. “We're supposed to be neutralizing her, so do something, darn it! The others have probably already taken out the other Elements instead of trying to talk their enemy to death!”

Twilight grunted. She fired another blast from her horn at the stallion, but a blue shield sprung up around him, the beam wrapping around it and doing no damage. Blueblood's own horn lit up. He squared his shoulders and planted his foreleg wide, hunkering down. “Now that we've established I'm invincible, it's time to end this, Twilight Sparkle. Your doom is now at hand!”

Trixie's eyes shifted to her left for a moment. Her upper lip curled into a sneer. “Now you know, Twilight Sparkle, what it will be to be truly humiliated, to endure shame and having to hang your head low!” She abruptly let out a gasp. “Blueblood, look-”

A half-dozen apples struck the back of Blueblood's head in rapid-fire fashion, exploding against the back of his skull and neck. He stumbled forward, his forelegs buckling out from under him and his eyes going cross-eyed. Applejack galloped into view, letting out a loud cry as she passed the stunned stallion and skidded to a halt next to Twilight and Spike. “YEE-HAH!” she cried out, rearing back and kicking the air.

“-Out,” Trixie finished, biting her lip. She rolled her eyes. “Tried to warn you.”

Applejack looked to Trixie, nickering. “So, tha brggart and tha Blueblood together in this with the FlimFlam Brothers. I should'a known!” She glared at Trixie. “This is low, even fer yah.”

Twilight looked to Applejack. “Applejack, thank you so much! But the FlimFlam Brothers, too?” She stomped the ground. “This is bad! They stole Discord's statue last night!”

Applejack's mouth dropped. “Yer kiddin'!” She shook her head. “Nah, yah wouldn't kid about that.” She looked to Blueblood as he stumbled to his hooves. “How could they do something so buckin' stupid?!”

Blueblood's eyes uncrossed. “Lord Discord shall reward us greatly when he is free!” he proclaimed. He raised a foreleg into the air, but quickly brought it back down when he stumbled. “Ooh... my head...”

Trixie swallowed as Twilight, Applejack and Spike looked to her. “Yes, we shall all get what we deserve after this is over,” she said, glancing away.

Applejack's eyes narrowed. “Wait a tic, that don't feel right to me.” She raised a hoof and rubbed her chin. “What're yeh playin' at, Trixie? That don't sound right tah me.”

Trixie waved her off. “Never you mind, hayseed.” She drew herself up. “Even now, the Diamond Dogs attack the fashionista, while Gilda attacks Rainbow Dash.” She snickered. “Your friends are doomed, do you hear? Doomed!”


The hose swiveled around, keeping up with Big Mac as he jumped back and forth. The stallion had a few large welts forming on his flank and one eye had begun to swell. Flam kept his eyes on the stallion, readying the hose for another blast...

Two pairs of hot apple pies sailed up and over the shields protecting the Cider Squeezy, each one landing right on the horns of the brothers, the tin pie plates skewering themselves on their horns and dumping the rather hot contents right into the Brothers' faces and eyes.

Flim cried out, rearing back in the driver's seat and flailing his forelegs about. Flam, meanwhile batted at the pie plate and the hot chunks of apple pie searing through his coat and skin. The glow of magic around their horns died down and the entire machine stopped.

Big Mac turned around, spotting Granny Smith standing on the porch. “Thank ye kindly,” he said, tipping his head to her.

Granny Smith nodded. She rested her forelegs on her walker, but had an apple pie balanced on her head and three more on a table next to her. “Any time!” she cried out. She jerked her head about, sending the pie balanced on top into the air. With speed and timing belying her age she thrust a foreleg forward, hitting the pie as it fell and sending it right at the Cider Squeezy. It smacked against one of Flam's forelegs, sending him tumbling back into the back of the Cider Squeezy.

Flim finally pulled the pie tin off of his horn, tossing it to the grass below. He draped his forelegs over the steering wheel and his horn lit up. “Retreat!” he cried out, the Cider Squeezy backing up, swinging around and driving back down the path it came.

Flam stood up and shook a hoof at Big Mac. “We shall return!” he cried out. The Cider Squeezy suddenly hit a rock as it drove off, tossing him to the side and into the apple tank.


The front door to Carousel Boutique buckled before exploding off its hinges and landing on the dirt path before it. Rover fell out, landing on his back. Before he could do anything, Rarity leapt out, landing right on his stomach with her hind hooves. His normally-beady eyes bulged and he let out a strangled groan.

Rarity jumped off of him, landing on the ground, spinning around and rearing back into an upright stance, forelegs held high. “Now who wants some more?” she called out. Her horn flared to life. “Well, come on, you ruffians!”

Fido scampered out the door, a length of measuring tape following behind him. One end tied itself around his legs, pulling taut and sending him sliding into the dirt. The other end lashed forward, striking him hard on the hind quarters with a snap.

A pair of ponykins floated out, Spot trapped between them. They flew back for a moment before swinging forward, tossing him onto Rover. The three Diamond Dogs whimpered in pain, lying there at least for the moment.

Rarity looked them over, panting slightly. “Okay, all done? I barely broke a sweat, darlings.” A feral grin crossed her muzzle and she waved a foreleg at them. “Well, come now. I had more difficulty coming up with my fall line!”

Rover rolled over onto his stomach, pushing himself yo his paws. He stumbled over to Fido, grabbing his fellow Diamond Dog, flinging him over his shoulder and running off, Spot quickly following behind.

Rarity watched them go. “All right, they mentioned a 'Boss pony'.” She glanced at the door lying on the ground and growled. “And now my door's destroyed!” Her eyes flashed. “Somepony is going to pay for that, and not just in bits!”


Gilda flew at Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, claws outstretched. Pinkie Pie suddenly disappeared in a puff of smoke, reappearing with a small blue cannon aimed right at the griffin. She jabbed a hoof onto a trigger on the back and the cannon shot a large blue tablecloth at Gilda.

It hit Gilda, wrapping itself around her head and body, tangling up her wings and blinding her. A vase and two plates of food struck her in the head, disorienting her and sending her skidding into the sand. She rolled around, rage building in her head as she struggled with the surprisingly strong fabric. Her claws found purchase in the fabric, tearing through the linen and freeing her head. She emerged, only to find Rainbow Dash floating in front of her, hind legs rearing back. Gilda raised her arms, but Dash's hooves smacked into her head, sending her flying back and landing in a heap.

Pinkie Pie raised a hoof and jabbed it in Gilda's direction. “And that's why I always keep a party cannon on hand!”

Rainbow Dash dropped back to all fours. She let out a sigh as Gilda lay there, staring up at the sky. “Gilda, I don't know what's going on with you, but please, I wanna help you out here. Just stay there and-”

Gilda rolled forward, spreading out her wings. Her legs tensed and she jumped into the air, wings flapping as she gained altitude. “I'll be back, losers!” she shouted as she flew past them, banking to her left and flying out over the lake, quickly dwindling to a point.

The pegasi's eyes narrowed and she dug a hoof into the sand. “Oh, no!” she shouted, spreading out her own wings. “I am not letting you get away. I made that mistake once and not again!” She flew off, but jerked to a halt. She looked back, seeing Pinkie Pie biting onto her tail. “Let go, Pinkie!” she shouted, flapping her wings. “I need to help her!”

Pinkie Pie shook her head. “No thime,” she said, her words slightly mumbled. “Knee-sherk, titchy-tail! Gotha get bath to Ponythille!” She spat the tail out. “Please, Dash. Our friends need our help!”

The pegasus looked at Gilda, now a mere dot in the sky. She flew around to Pinkie's back, holding out her forearms. She waited for Pinkie to stand up before sliding her forelegs under her upper arms. She beat her wings and grunted as she lifted the earth pony into the air. “Dang, Pinkie. Lay of the sweets!”

Pinkie nodded. “You're right, Dashie. I need to lay the sweets onto the plate before eating them.”

“Pinkie... never mind.”


Applejack dug her hooves into the ground. “Dah yah think we're gonna simply lay down and die on yer words, Trixie? I got away from tha FlimFlam Brothers, and I'd bet tha farm that the others are takin' care o' your friends.”

Trixie cantered to her left, approaching Blueblood's side. “You're right,” she muttered. She stopped right next to Blueblood. “We must retreat!” she cried out, rearing back on her hind legs. “We're outmatched, here.”

Blueblood glanced to her right at her. “What? Preposterous! With our powers we can surely triumph!”

Trixie held out a hoof and patted him on the upper arm. “No, your majesty. You're injured and not thinking straight. We've won a small victory here; let us not squander it.”

Blueblood let out a grunt and blinked rapidly. “You're right.” He looked to her, eyes softening slightly. “Thank you, Trixie."

Trixie swallowed, then looked to Applejack, Twilight and Spike. “You have not seen the last of Trixie and Blueblood! We shall return!” Her cloak fluttered once more and another smoke bomb flew out of it, landing and exploding. The duo was engulfed in a thick, gray cloud of smoke. “Quickly, to the Everfree Forest and safety!” Trixie's voice echoed out of the cloud. The cloud quickly dissipated, revealing the two galloping away in the general direction of the Everfree.

Applejack cried out, “Come back here!” and began chasing them, only to be halted by Twilight's voice.

“Applejack, we need to go check on everypony else,” the unicorn shouted, stopping her friend in her tracks. “You heard what Trixie said about the others, not to mention what might be going on back at Sweet Apple Acres.”

Applejack looked back. “Yer right, Twilight. Best we go check on Rarity first, since she's closer. Then the rest.”

Spike gasped. “Rarity, oh no!” He hopped up and down. “We gotta go help her, Twilight. We gotta!”

Twilight's horn glowed and she telekinetically lifted Spike onto her back. “We'll do that right now, Spike.” She took off, quickly reaching a full gallop.

Applejack waited until Twilight reached her side before resuming her own pace. “Twilight, one question, though.” She looked the unicorn up and down. “What in tha hay are ye wearin'?”

Twilight's eyes looked over herself and the jester's costume still adorning her. “Oh, pony feathers,” she muttered. “Trixie materialized it over me.” She paused, looking herself over. “Although truth be told... it doesn't fit too badly. A bit snug in places but could've been a lot worse.” She shook her head. “But enough about that, Applejack. Our friends need our help!”