• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 21,228 Views, 631 Comments

Stone Cold - M_D_Quill



Pulled into a strange world, meeting fantasy creatures, and stuck in stone. Isn't life grand...

  • ...
42
 631
 21,228

Chapter 13

Twilight stared at the most recent reports of the creature. No matter how many times she scanned him, the results never seemed to come out properly. The purple unicorn concluded that the scanning machine must be broken... just like the rest. And by the rest, she meant all the machines she borrowed.

“Doctor Red Cross!” She called out, “I don’t think this one works either.”

A groan sounded from the hallway, followed by the creak of an opening door. An irritated white pony in a doctor's coat entered the room and moved briskly toward the purple unicorn. He flicked Twilight’s horn with his hoof, causing her to squeal and the paperwork she was holding to fall on the floor.

“How many times have I told you,” the doctor grumbled, “you need to be resting so you can recover your magical strength. This means no magic!”

“I am resting,” Twilight retorted, plopping onto the floor and crossing her hooves, “I just tend to relax best when I am doing research...”

Red Cross sighed and carefully picked up the fallen papers, “Then do your research... without using your magic,” he placed the papers in a neat pile in front of her, “All you are doing right now is delaying your recovery.”

Twilight looked between the papers and her test ‘subject’. “Ok Doctor, I’ll take it easy with my magic use... it isn’t like it is any use around this guy.”

Red Cross glanced over at the creature who terrorized Canterlot only a few weeks before. It was connected to numerous machines that the Princess’ pupil imported in from various storage spaces throughout canterlot. Many of them were ancient, dating back to close to the time when Equestria was first founded.

The room flickered in blinking lights and steady beeping and clicking sounds. He watched as the purple unicorn roamed between the machines, checking on their progress. One of the machines started clicking loudly with a red light flashing on it’s tip. She rushed over to it and snatched the newest results. After a second of skimming through them, she sighed.

“I’d love to continue... but these machines are all broken. I can’t get an accurate reading with any of them.”

The doctor cocked his head in curiosity, “You mean you are actually trying to use these machines to diagnose somepony, or... something?” he asked. “You do know that we have better equipment you could have used instead, right?”

Twilight turned to the doctor, “I need them to know what is going on in this creature,” she explained, “Magic does not affect him at all, so I needed something that doesn’t use magic to get a reading on his recovery. All the ‘modern’ equipment in his hospital are run by magic... So I needed to find something more... primitive.”

She stood up and walked over to the bed, “But I can’t seem to get any consistent results with these old machines. I am literally starting from scratch on helping him out because I can’t discover what kind of species he is! I have to guess if he is getting better or if he is dying. The worst part is I don’t know what I should be doing something to help him recover! At the moment, I can only observe him... but what if my inaction causes him to get hurt even more?”

Red Cross gave the unicorn a sympathetic pat on the back, “You are feeling what most doctors feel when someone we can’t help asks us to help them...” He glanced at the top sheet in front of Twilight, “So what exactly is the problem with the readings anyway? They look accurate to me.”

The purple unicorn growled and pointed at numerous spots on the page, “I never said they were not accurate, I said they were inconsistent? Look at these points! This sheet here says the wound on his side has already been healed, but this one says the same wound still has another week to go!” She grabbed the page and started reading off a list, “Dislocated back disks, they should have healed a week and a half ago at the latest. But, according to these records, they are estimated to heal up in another three weeks. Here is another, cracked ribs, they should have healed five days ago, but the charts say he has another SEVEN! Do you hear me, Seven Weeks!” She released an irritated sigh, “If he was a pony, he should be mostly healed by now. But for some reason his injuries seem to be healing a lot slower...”

She trotted over and pulled the blanket off of the creature, “Look at this! The blood on the ‘healed’ side wound has hardened on his skin forming a weak cast over the injury? Is it supposed to do that, or is this some sort of infection that I should get rid of? I’ve never seen anything like it!”

The Doctor examined the unique blood clot with the unicorn, “It is indeed an interesting phenomenon. You can say it is breaking natural laws by hardening liquid. But you can say the same thing with water when it freezes into ice. Maybe his blood has a unique chemical reaction to replicate the freezing effect.” he turned away from the bedside and started to the doors, “This is a creature of chaos, remember. Not everything about it can be explained.”

“But... His other injuries! He is healing too slow!” cried out Twilight, “What if he is dying!”

Red Cross gave the mare one last glance, “Then we should let him pass away in peace instead of probing him with ancient technology.”

Twilight watched the doctor leave and shut the door. She sat there for a minutes before getting up and going back to the machines, “No, I won’t just give up... I will find a way to save you Discord, no matter what anypony says.”

Outside the door, the doctor sighed and shook his head. As he looked back up, he noticed a couple nurses looking at him with worried expressions. He opened his mouth and a musical beat began to ring throughout the hall.

“Something’s wrong with Twi,” He chanted, “Something’s wrong with Twi,” He looked between the nurses before releasing another defeated sigh, “Worries for the creature, claimed she won’t see him die.”

“She is all alone in there, lock away with it,” replied one of the nurses.

“Rarely eats her food,” the second nurse said. She looked up at the Doctor, “Shining’s had a fit.”

“Something’s wrong with Twi, something’s wrong with Twi,” They all sang as they started through the building to find the Twilight’s brother.

Inside the room, Twilight’s ears twitched in frustration. She paced around the room, in beat with the music. She glanced over at a discarded pile of papers in the corner of the room.

“Discord’s fate is buzzing in my brain,” she quietly sang, “Will he make it through? I can't ascertain.” The pile of papers began to glow with a pink light and flew over to singing unicorn, “There are so many variables here, I cannot act with such shoddy-” A grinding sound started to emanate from the nearest machine, “Oh dear!”

The ancient scanner began to make a loud grinding and sparks began to fly into the air. Twilight quickly ran to it and attempted to shut it off, but smoke started to rise from it. In an act of desperation, she grabbed it with her magic and threw it across the room. It crashed into the wall with a loud clang. The grinding sound continued for an extra second before it died down and became silent. With a look of distaste, Twilight turned away from ruined machine. “Through these ancient machines answers slip, like a snowflake in a fiery grip.”

She moved close to the unconscious creature, staring at his face. “Something’s here I’m not quite getting, as I stare he looks offsetting, like a picture through fogged glass...”

She turned to a chalkboard next to the bed, a diagram with distinct facial traits of the creature and Discord, “Discord an instant, stranger the next... What does it mean? What does it mean?” she sang the last two parts in a thoughtful voice.

The unicorn moved away from the chalkboard and back to the pile of papers. “In this pile of stats and scans, The answers here about the man,” A whirling of beeps and click announced the next round of information was ready. Twilight ran over and snatched up the first sheet that was printed. After a brief scan, she threw it to the side in disgust when she saw the information was the same as the last batch, odd and obviously inaccurate. “These old machines annoy me so...” She turned away from the repeated information and glanced at the creature. His breathing was coming lightly, but he showed no sign of waking. She pang of pity formed in her stomach after a few seconds and she threw up her hooves in frustration, “Confound it all I have to know!” she grabbed the rest of the pile and started skimming through each page, absorbing the new information then throwing the pile with the others.

“Simple readings, nothing more,” Twilight whispered to herself, “but something is hidden through a door...” She got up and began to circle the creatures bed, mentally trying to piece together why the machines kept giving her bad information, her ear twitching slightly as she stared at the creature, “though I do not have the key. Something’s here I cannot see!” She jumped up on the side of the bed, barely avoiding touching the creature, “What does it mean? What does it mean?!?” she shouted in frustration into his face. She paused and looked at him. His eyes were still closed and there was no change to his breathing pattern. A snort escaped her as she hopped back off the bed. “What does it mean?” she asked one last time to herself.

Another beep sounded from one of the quieter machines, A single sheet of paper slowly slid out. “Hmm” she hummed. With a steady trot, she made her way to the sheet. Lifting it up, she studied the newest chart. “I've read these scanner sheets so many times,” she sang in a quiet voice, “I know their beeping and I know their chimes,” She carefully flew the chart she was holding and set it with the rest of the pile, “I know the readings all by heart... I plotted them all out on all these charts.” She swung her hoof around at all the sheets lining the room, “As often as I’ve read them something’s off...” She glanced at the door hearing some commotion outside, “Why do all those doctor’s seem to scoff,” She noticed a forgotten chart that was hidden behind the door before the doctor closed it. She slowly approached it and noticed something strange on it... a pattern of sorts.

“Perhaps there is a little nick,” she smiled, “for to see how Discord ticks,” She grabbed hold of numerous papers from her pile and recorded them down on the new chart. The pattern slowly began to come into clearer focus. “Now listen here chaotic one,” Twilight laughed, “I will know you before I’m done!”

She jumped over to a table and grabbed a quill, making notes on the new discovery. She made a copy of the chart and began to compare it to the other readings that previously didn’t make any sense. “I will see through your bag of tricks,” There was a gap in her notes... some vital information she needed was missing. She jumped up to check if the machine that scanned for said information was almost ready to print out the newest results, but she discovered that it was the one that started to smoke and was thrown across the room. She glanced over at the ruined machines, “Once all of my machines are fixed”

The room door burst open to reveal her brother. The music hit it’s climax, and before Shining could say anything Twilight sang out, “Glad you’re here big brother of mine! I have something for you to find!”

She skipped over to the broken machine, “A mechanic to fix this here,” she turned to the creature on the bed, “So I can fix my Discord dear.” She looked back over to her brother and gave him a questioning look. Shining’s mouth dried up when he saw a familiar crazed look in his sister’s eyes. He gulped and slowly nodded.

The purple unicorn plopped down on the ground and started to rub her hooves together, giggling evilly, “Excellent! He’ll be mine...”

The music that was sounding throughout the room ended, and Shining armor slowly backed out, closing the door. He turned to Doctor Red Cross.

“There is definitely something wrong with my sister. We need to inform Her Majesty immediately,” he said.

With a nod from the doctor, they both turned down the hall and made for the hospital exit. As he exited the building, Shining Armor shivered as he heard his sister’s crazed laugh echo in his head.