• Published 2nd Apr 2014
  • 732 Views, 54 Comments

Virtue and Vice: Equestria - enigmaMystere



Based (loosely) on the JLA/JSA storyline of the same name, this recounts what happens before and during the most troublesome time in the history of Equestria's specialized taskforces.

  • ...
3
 54
 732

Stealthy Shades #36

The baron's castle makes an imposing sight just after dusk. With the sky set aflame in almost all colors, the fortress remains resolutely dark, an eternal giant shadow looming over the landscape. The sky grows darker with each moment, and inside, lights can be seen beginning to switch on. Every so often, a silent flash of lightning from the cloud layer illuminates the top of the structure.

If one looks closely, they could see the barely-perceptible shifting of leaves. This is the only sign of the dark-toned team hiding among the undergrowth, though two members are outfitted in bodysuits to hide their brighter coats.

The smallest among them tugs at the hoodie of her costume, huffing quietly. How do you handle wearing this, Volt? And why does mine have bunny ears but yours doesn't?

Cinching his belt tighter, the sea-green stallion shrugs. Look, they asked me to find something like mine, and that was the only design they had for fillies. You get used to the weight, plus you know it makes you feel cool.

You're sure this is for stealth, though? She raises a hoof, examining the paw-shaped shoes. This looks more like something from mom's Nightmare Night closet...

The nymph in question quickly covers her mouth, hiding a blush and muffling a small squeak. It's really fine, sweetie. Just... could we go over the teams, please?

Right. Rhino's voice sounds through the mental link Luster had established between them all, his tone reflects his seriousness. All of us will be going inside the compound. Team one, abduction. Gel, Tavi, Atom, you are to head to the center of the compound, incapacitate the baron, and extract him. Final questions?

None from me, love. The navy nymph smiles warmly, leaning over to peck his cheek before continuing. We'll be sure to get him.

Agreed, Octavia's voice comes through as well, he has proven to be most uncivilized, let's give him an equally uncivilized greeting. The musician has equipped herself with a variety of tools and weapons, ready and willing to use any of them.

He won't know what hit him, but he won't forget it. Atom says simply.

The dark green stallion nods. Good. Team two, relic. Luster, Volt, you are to retrieve the artifact, we aren't sure what you'll have to get through security-wise, but you need to do it regardless and between the two of you it should be fine. Should you need assistance with runic safety measures, call me.

No problem. She turns to the lighter unicorn, eyebrow raised questioningly. Promise me you won't make puns the whole time. I don't want to lug around an unconscious pony.

You can practically see the sweat on the stallion's brow. Umm... one or two may slip out...

For your sake, it'd better not be often. She shakes her head before backing behind a tree, seeing one of the spotlights pass near their area.

As soon as it's a safe distance away, the pink filly lets her breath go. She then faces her father, confused. What about us, daddy? She gestures to herself and the burgundy stallion beside her. You... didn't quite say what we're supposed to do.

He nods. We are team three, roamers. Our jobs are not set in stone, but instead are to help out where we can with either team. We have no goal other than to assist the mission however we may, without getting caught. It also allows us to keep an eye on things.

And... if we do get caught? She shuffles her hooves nervously, looking from father to teacher and back.

Enigma places a reassuring hoof on Ruby's shoulder, smiling calmly. We'll worry about that if it happens. He turns to Luster, nodding respectfully. So, how do we get-

His train of thought gets cut off with a loud boom as lightning illuminates the sky. It hits a lightning rod over the gate, visibly rippling through the high iron walls.

Everyone jumps in shock, a few even embracing loved ones. A few seconds later, Luster reluctantly pulls away from Octavia, blushing brightly. Well, uh... that explains the thunderclouds, I guess?

Giving the sight of his daughter clinging to Enigma a thoughtful look tinged with suspicion and slight hurt, Rhino comments. Clever... and dangerous. His strokes his wife's mane as she clings to him.

Not really... The filly sheepishly pulls away from the pegasus, shrugging slightly. The guards are in metal corridors, if I remember Aunt Luster's model correctly... depending on whether it's mostly covered or not, she gestures with a hoof, they may be protected by what amounts to a Faraday cage.

Which would keep the electricity from getting to them by using a path of least resistance. Enigma nods, hoof to his chin. That also explains their lack of armor... any metal making contact with the electrified surface would create the beginnings of a new circuit, frying them where they stand.

Right... but what I meant was dangerous to us. The green stallion deadpans.

Volt speaks up. Hey, don't worry about it, that's half the reason I'm here is to be the shock absorber. He flinches at his slip. Whoops, well... we haven't technically gone it yet.

Fine. I won't count that one against you. The indigo nymph prods him, gesturing to the wall. Now go take one for the team.

He nods, quickly moving forward. Once at the wall, he takes a moment to look upward at it's scale, the electricity in it evident to him from his natural attunement to it. Sorry wall, I need this power. He places a hoof against the metal surface.

Instantly, all the fur on his body seems to stand on end and small arcs of electricity can be seen dancing across him. He stays like this for about ten straight seconds before it seems to die down and he removes his hoof.

Shaking himself, and causing a few more arcs across himself in the process, he turns to the others, his eyes wide and his grin wider than usual. Woo! Never get tired of that energy boost! Come on then, we've got until the next bolt hits and recharges the system.

Good job, Surge. Luster hurries over to his side, touching a hoof to the metal surface. With a small nod, the barrier opens inward, big enough for two ponies to enter at a time. She grabs up Volt in her magic and drags him inside, waving for the others to follow.

Octavia looks to the others in her group. So it begins. She heads through the hole next, Atom following behind her.

Ruby and Enigma quickly head after them, leaving the emerald stallion and his navy nymph. She reluctantly pulls away from him, entwining their tails briefly. I'm glad you trust her to be on her own. She bumps his side with her own, smiling softly as they approach the opening. Don't worry, love, I'm using a separate link.

Yeah... good... He watches his daughter go, his words disconnected. After a moment, his eyes focus on the hole and he shakes his right. Right. Let's get this done. He narrows his eyes and proceeds through the gap with her at his side.

The wall seals up behind them, and lightning strikes the rod seconds later. As the ones from before cover their ears, the burgundy pony decides to speak up. Okay, so we're inside. Now, where do we sneak into the central tower?

Atom is the one to answer. Well, while there are a few doors, they aren't really options. We make our own, though we'll need you, Luster, and Volt to do it.

He blinks, looking to the taller pegasus. Well, this should be interesting...

Rhino nods his head towards the building. We have to get over there first. Teleporting isn't an option due to how many of us there are and the small amount of light it produces. Looks like we probably need old fashioned stealth.

The feminine stallion slowly nods. Which is why you need us... but why Volt?

I think a touch could answer that... but first, The indigo nymph's wings slowly shift, changing from clear and membranous to dark black and feathered, we need to go up a couple floors. She turns her attention to the pink pony reaching for her father's hoof. Which means we'll also need your help. A metal plate spreads underneath both costumed ponies, lifting them up as she and Enigma start to fly.

Ruby closes her eyes and lights up her horn, concentrating hard enough for sweat to bead on her brow. Then, as they pass the second floor, the four of them vanish out of sight.

As the group vanishes from sight, Rhino puts his hoof down, still feeling the reassuring squeeze his had given his daughter's own. He turns to Gel, bending down in front of her. Would you like a lift, love?

Across the mental link comes another voice gettign her own ride. Onward, Vortex! We have a griffon's day to ruin! Yah! As the cellist rides upwards on her black steed, she seems to really be gettngn into the spirit of it.

Gel chuckles as she climbs onto her stallion's back, nuzzling him tenderly. I never understood why she always gets excited to ride him...

Meanwhile, the four above find themselves facing a blank, brown sheet of metal. Luster turns to the unicorn next to her, nodding towards the barrier. Go ahead and do your thing, Surge. With this guy's preference for electricity, one can never be sure...

He nods as he walks forward. Right, if I take another one of these after this, I'll need to bleed a little off before it builds up too much. Maybe I'll curse everythign in a hallway with static- He is cut off as he touches the wall, absorbing the power from it.

She nods, chuckling as she pats his shoulder. Maybe. I don't doubt we'll see at least one griffon on our way down. The nymph focuses on the wall, holding up a hoof and gesturing to one side, the copper of the building dilating out from the center, pooling around the edges of the hole. She stares at the concrete before her, bemused, and moves to the side. Your turn, Enigma.

He nods, flying a bit closer, touching the surface for a moment. Yea, this shouldn't take that long. He pulls his hoof away, a small, bright fire soon appearing on the end of his gauntlet-clad hoof. Just give me two seconds.

As he get to work, a small bit of wind announces the arrival of one of the other pairs. As they land, Octavia dismounts Atom, patting him on the head afterwards. Good boy.

Bemused, the stallion rolls his eyes as he smirks, thankful she can't see the first action behind his shades. Peeking over the edge, he remarks to no-one in particular. Remind me why Rhino doesn't let Gel just fly him up here?

Afraid of being off the ground, I think? Luster shrugs, watching the red pony appear to vanish for a split second, his torch going out right after. That fast, huh?

Before he can say anything, a seam appears at the point where the metal touches. It starts to fall outward but he catches it, nodding briefly before moving backwards, slab held in his hooves. A bit longer than I'd like, but it was a bit thick.

She rolls her eyes as she floats the three flightless ponies among them through the hole, letting them slide off before bringing her metal back to herself. It quickly forms around her forelegs as a set of bracers, and she joins them inside.

Meanwhile, on the side of the building, Rhino casually walks up the wall with Gel attached to his back. Reaching the hole, they easily slip inside. Good, let's get that sealed up so no-one sees the light coming through there once we go elsewhere.

Agreed. Enigma looks to the rock in his hooves, then to his leader, smiling sheepishly. I can't exactly... put this back, without some help...

The unicorn smiles, lighting up his horn and levitating the section, Enigma coming in as soon as his burden is taken. He turns, still feeling his wife on his back as he sets it perfectly where it came from.

The metal flows back in place while Ruby moves over to her parents, poking her mother's cheek. Now's not the time to be sleeping, mom.

She grips him harder with her hooves, softly whining. But... fluffy...

Now now, love. Rhino turns his head and nuzzles her. Go beat up the mean griffon, then you can enjoy me being fluffy.

The nymph groans, slowly climbing off him. Fine... I expect a long snuggle session, after this. She closes her eyes, frowning slightly. Where is this Baron, anyways?

As soon as she asks, a three-dimensional map appears in their minds, the suddenness making the filly squeak in surprise.

Everyone stiffens as they see a small model on the map outside their room turn slightly. It stays facing the door for a moment before shaking its head and walking down the hall. "Damn rats... at least all they can get at in there are chemicals..."

Rhino sets a hoof on Ruby's back as he looks at the map. Alright... relic team needs to head down, abduction team needs to head... up one floor then inward. Roaming has free reign, just nothing too risky unless there's a reason. He looks down to the pink filly. Got it, little one? Stay safe.

She stares off into space a moment before nodding. I understand, daddy. She smiles warmly, pecking him on the cheek before she heads towards the door, turning invisible along the way.

Gel copies the affectionate gesture before turning to the others, nodding to them. They hurry out of the room, the lush rugs muffling their steps.

Luster places a hoof on Volt's haunches, making him sit down for a moment. Now that we're in range, I'm gonna get a look at that basement. That means you have to stay still and quiet for a bit. Understand?

Yes, mom. He smirks at her.

She smacks him upside the head, just as another bolt of lightning strikes the rod outside. The nymph, however, is too lost in her ire to notice. That was for the attitude. Next time I aim for the other one.

I'll be good... He resists the urge to zap her a little for the hit.

Try to behave, you two. Rhino admonishes them. I'm going to go take a wander, what about you, E?

Honestly? He scratches the back of his head. I was gonna try to see what that group of mares was about. If they're slaves, and the Baron's gonna be taken in, anyways... what's to say we can't help them?

Alright... just try to keep them quiet about us though, and don't discount the fact that some may actually want to be here. Watch out for those ones, they could be trouble. A green glow comes from the unicorn's hooves as he begins walking up the wall until he is on the ceiling.

You sure you don't want to help? He slowly lifts into the air, heading out the closet and hiding among the rafters. I can't be the only one feeling that they should be free, right?

No... but we have many priorities right now, E. Rhino starts heading down the hallway. We are meant to assist the others. Freeing those ponies is a good thing, yes, but if any of us are caught, their chances get that much lower. You are free to pursue that idea, but as leader, I need to keep an eye on everything and be ready to help with anything.

I guess that's fair... He makes his way the other direction, where the map in his head says the stairway up is. But it's only a couple floors up. We'd definitely be able to help with the Baron, if they do need it... knowing them, though, it shouldn't be that big an issue... He looks at a lone dot on the map, heading up the flight of stairs he's nearing. ...where does she think she's going? He drops to the floor, speeding off after her in an unrecognizable blur.

Narrowing his eyes in the direction the pegasus had gone, Rhino follows from the ceiling.


Ruby slowly exits the staircase, glancing around the dark halls. She mutters to herself, her invisibility spell slowly dispersing. "Best to save magic... wait." She pauses her steps, face scrunching in confusion. "Should I have checked that map, first?" She shakes her head, bringing the model up in her mind.

She freezes upon seeing it, realizing that there was a guard about to round the corner. She glances left and right, slowly backing away in fear. "Shoot... if I go invisible, it'd make a light... if I stand still, he might see me... if I strike, who knows if it'll be heard?" She trembles, softly whimpering as a light slowly grows around the corner.

The griffon guards rounds the corner, a bored look on his face that soon turns into one of surprise as his eyes narrow on the filly. "Well well well, what do we have here?" He approaches her without fear, a smirk on his face and a prowl in his step.

She shrinks slightly in on herself, nervously smiling. "J-just a... a lost filly..." She looks around, trying to fight down her panic. "W-where's the restroom, sir?"

"Heh, must be one of the new group. I swear, the boss wants them younger every time now." He is now within a ponylength of her, his eyes glinting. He stands next to her, a strong talon placing itself on her withers. "Let's get you back to the others, there's everything you could want in there, as long as you do your job." His grip tightens slightly as something occurs to him. "Actually, I have always wanted to test one of you girls out... What say you repay me for being so nice and bringing you back?"

"B-but I..." She gulps, feeling his claw starting to trail south.

"There you are!" The teen jumps and spins around, forcing her mouth not to drop at the sight before her.

A burgundy pegasus approaches the two of them, hips swaying with each step. The subtle blue skirt flutters around the pony's hips, the triangular ears placed over the ones already there twitching slightly. Ruby finds herself in an emotional embrace, face buried in the larger pony's chest as a surprisingly maternal voice fills her ears. "I was so worried about you. You know I could help you around this place!"

The guard snorts at the interruption, but his eyes look over this newcomer regardless. "I take it you're this one's keeper?"

"No," the pegasus waves a hoof, smiling coquettishly and bowing, "just her sister. Thank you for finding her, sir." The two start to walk away, Ruby unresponsive still due to shock. "I'll just get us back to the others, now. Have a nice night!"

"Not quite so fast there." His voice is commanding, forcing them to stop. "You know the baron doesn't like his girls wandering around. This one here was just about to pay me back for bringing her back without a fuss."

'She' turns around to face him, smiling sheepishly. "Are you sure we can't just...overlook this one incident? We haven't been able to get used to how things around here work, yet..."

"No better time to learn then." He walks toward them, grinning. "You two can just help each other. Think of it as me... warming you up for the baron." He reaches out towards Ruby. "Now... come here little bunny..."

Suddenly, a green aura surrounds the guard's neck, squeezing the thick plumage and flesh beneath it to about half of their original thickness. The bird raises his claws and tries to squawk in alarm, but can't even find enough air to do that. He rises off the floor, his legs kicking beneath him with less and less force as his pupils shrink to pinpricks. He moves more and more weakly until he goes limp, hovering halfway between floor and ceiling by his neck.

Behind the griffon, Rhino slowly walks from his position on the ceiling to the floor, a green crystal-like dagger floating next to him. His eyes remain locked onto the griffons form, blazing with barely contained fury.

The pegasus sighs, stepping forward to calm his friend before a pink blur runs past him, clinging to her father tightly. "D-daddy... y-you came..."

The feeling of her clinging to him is enough to knock Rhino to his senses. His horn goes out and the griffon drops to the floor while the dagger disintegrates into wisps that flow back into his horn. None of this particularly matters to him though as he wraps his forelegs around the filly. "Of course I did, sweetie... I always will." He strokes her mane soothingly as he holds her.

She starts to calm down, tenderly nuzzling his cheek and cooing softly. "So fluffy... I almost forgot how nice this felt..."

"Then I suggest you reacquaint yourself." His horn suddenly lights up again as he lifts her up, placing her on his back. "Because that was way too close, and you are sticking with me for a while." He nuzzles and kisses her on the forehead.

Ruby sits there on him quietly for a moment before giggling quietly. She leans forward and pecks his cheek. "I don't think I mind, dad... do you mind if I fall asleep... on accident, of course?" She looks to him with her doe eyes, hoping he'll say no.

Seeing the little filly he knew and loved, he knew his answer. "Of course not. I'll keep you safe." He nuzzles her lovingly once more.

The young pony sighs in relief. "In that case..." She collapses against his neck, passing out from the unexpected and unwanted suspense from earlier. She continues to display affection as she sleeps, however, nipping and hugging him tenderly.

He smiles, relaxing finally as he lights up his horn and draws a quick runic circle on his back to keep her stuck there. A glance ahead reveals no sign of either Enigma or the griffon, for which he is thankful. He says a quick word over the mental link. Small heads up, Ruby's going to be with me for a while, so you'll get both of us if you call me. With that said, he starts walking back up the wall, aiming to find a dark place somewhere from which to monitor everything in peace.


Enigma drops the guard on a couch in an empty linen closet, nodding to himself. "Hopefully, they'll just think he fell asleep..." He turns and walks outside, readjusting his saddlebags a second before continuing. "If I'm not mistaken... the door to this place should be..." He trails off, seeing the large, metal doors before him. "...here."

With a sigh, he steps forward and puts his shoulder to the section closest to the opening. "One... two... thr-" He falls forward as a smaller door opens up within the larger one, landing flat on his face and his cat ears almost falling off. "...ow."

The slight buzz of chatter that had been present when he fell in immediately dies out. As the feminine stallion looks up, he is greeted by what many females would call paradise. Vanities, cushion mountains, a hot-tub, and an entire wall devoted to a closet of various outfits. Everything is a light color, from white to pink to yellow. A large dinner table with any number of different food items sits off to one side across from large fluffy four-poster beds.

And every single inhabitant of the room, females all, stopped what they were doing and now were simply staring at Enigma.

He slowly looks up, glancing at each mare in turn before shyly waving. "Hi?"

A pink pegasus near him walks over and helps him up. "Oh dear... new huh?"

"Uh... in a sense, I guess?" He stands with her help, carefully brushing dirt off his top. "I was kinda hoping not to make such an embarrassing first impression..." He nervously chuckles, stepping further into the room. "So, uh... how are things, here?"

"Well, you know... the rooms nice, the girls look out for each other, we get anything we want... except to leave... and we never know when we're going to be called to be... put to work..." The pegasus just seems to get lower with every word she says.

One older mare calls across to her. "Cotton, stop being such a downer to the new girl."

"This place is a downer so excuse me for being down!" Cotton shoots back in a shrill voice, wings standing straight up in anger. She regains herself after a moment and turns back to Enigma. "So, did you apply or were you... volunteered?"

"Neither, actually. I snuck in." The burgundy pony smirks, bowing respectfully to the other pegasus. "So, you don't like being here, Miss Cotton?"

"Well, first of all, unlike some," she glares back at the mare that had called her out. "I didn't ask to be here. What do you mean you snuck in? What crazy pony would want to come here?"

"One who'd like to help others out of here." He whips off his ears, tucking them in one of his saddlebags. "Should've changed before I entered... eh, can't be helped, now."

She tilts her head. "Umm... what difference would that make?"

"Well, for one thing, this outfit's kinda itchy." He pulls off his saddlebags, stretching slightly. "I somehow doubt this is really silk... anyways, my name's Enigma." He holds out his hoof, smiling warmly. "Nice to meet you, Miss Cotton."

"Erm, likewise, I suppose, Miss Enigma." She shakes the offered hoof.

His eye twitches slightly at this, pulling his hoof away once the gesture is done. "It's Mister Enigma, actually." He slips off his skirt and blouse, chuckling nervously. "Sorry, the reason I wore this was to sneak past those guards... one tried to do something I'm not quite comfortable talking about." He slips the clothes into his bag, leaning inside it a bit. "Now where did my kakugane go to? Seriously, this 'hammerspace' needs better organization..."

One of the other girls comments as she watches the proceedings. "Huh, and here I thought he was just a guy who liked to cross-dress."

Another one next to her giggles. "I kind of wish I could have watched if that guard got far and found a bit of a surprise underneath."

The two dissolve into giggles at the stallion's expense.

"If he did, he'd be shamed by what he found." He shakes his flanks at them before reaching further into the bag, half his body now inside. "There it is. What's that bowling ball doing on top of it? I thought it was in the other one..."

A few of the mares tilt their heads shamelessly as they peek. Meanwhile, Cotton tilts her head out of confusion. "Umm... what are you doing?"

"Getting an important item." He slowly steps back, pulling himself out of the saddlebag, as well as a large bowling ball. "Not this, mind you. It was just in the way." He drops it on a pillow and looks to the mares behind him. "Like what you see, ladies?" He chuckles as he faces the other pegasus once more, holding up the small item still in his hoof. "See for yourself!"

As the other mares giggle to themselves, Cotton once again tilts her head. "It's a necklace."

"Maybe at first glance." He winks and slips it on, the hexagonal medallion glinting in the light. "I know for a fact that it can be so much more, though. Now, if I may," Enigma turns to the older mare from earlier, frowning softly, "why would you ask to be here? Don't you know what this griffon's done?"

She shakes her head, as do a few more around her. "I signed up for a cushy life in exchange for sex every once in a while to a puffed-up bird whom I don't particularly have to care about. It works for me."

He quirks an eyebrow at her. "Really? What about those who were - what did she say?" He raises his forehooves in the air, making quotes. "'Put to work'? Have any ever returned?"

She quirks her own delicate eyebrow back at him. "Yes, they all do. That was just her way of saying 'rutting session'."

"Oh." He goes silent for a moment, sitting down on the floor next to his bags. "I thought it meant something else... still, you've never seen someone go and not return?"

"Not particularly." Some of the other mares start going back to what they were doing, bored of the stallion while others pay rapt attention due to interest or interest. "We don't usually leave the room, mostly because we aren't allowed to if we aren't summoned. So it's not like we keep a tally on staff and visitors."

"Huh." He scratches his chin thoughtfully. "I would've thought that'd make it easier... but I guess that something like that could be overlooked. Now, for the reason I'm here..." The burgundy pegasus places a hoof on Cotton's shoulder, giving her a serious look. "I can get you out of here, if you truly want to go. If you don't," he turns his gaze to the older mare, "you can stay, but, in the end, it will be the same."

A few more mares become interested in the conversation as Cotton speaks, a small spark of hope in her eyes. "You mean it? You can get us out? I don't have to service what amounts to a giant cat anymore?"

Enigma nods, holding a hoof to his chest. "You have my word. I will make sure you all can get out safely." He glances at the unicorn once more, disdainful. "Whether you take the opportunity is up to you, but I urge you to do so."

As Cotton smiles wider, quite a few of the girls start talking excitedly among themselves, the energy in the room rising almost visibly.

Still the unicorn frowns as something occurs to her. She stands up. "No, you can't leave." As faces turn to her, she continues. "Being found outside the room is one thing, but trying to run away? Do you have any idea how angry he'll be? If you fail, what do you think he'll do to you? And if you succeed, what do you think he'll do to us?" More whispers start circulating the room as she looks around.

The stallion stands, striding over to her with purpose. He stops before her, muzzle mere inches away from hers. "I don't know about you, but I doubt that the Baron will be punishing anyone in the foreseeable future. So, if you want to be free, that's fine. If you want to stay to plunder his wealth or whatever, go be a gold digger." He pokes her in the chest, growling softly. "I'm giving you a chance at a normal life, again. One where griffons don't force you to give them pleasure..." He tilts his head, backing up a step to smirk wryly at her. "Or are you saying you love that sort of thing?"

She sneers haughtily at him. "Boy, you're little tactic of goading me won't work. This is a comfortable lifestyle for me, and with this many girls, odds I get picked are quite slim. I am fine where I am."

One of her friends, and an earth pony, taps her on the shoulder and motions her down. After a solid five minutes of back and forth whispering and faces ranging from skepticism to devious, the two straighten back up and the unicorn begins to speak again. "You know what? I do appreciate the offer, and while I do hope those of you that choose to go actually do escape, because I shall pray for you if you fail, myself and a few friends are sticking around for a bit." The slight upward tilt of her mouth shows motive, but what they are exactly is unknown. "So, off with the lot of you, we're off to establish an alibi."

As the group gets up and walks over to one of the beds, the earth pony remarks to Enigma. "Get a bunch of girls sleeping in a pile on a bed and guards usually half a good bit of their brain power go to imagination instead of intelligence. Still, good luck. We'll be fine." She hops onto the pile of other females and starts trying to settle down to find somewhere comfortable.

"Fine." He shrugs casually. "I guess you girls just won't mind when Baron Fletch Wing's arrested, then." He turns, flicking his tail slightly. "Sure, he may leave, but I'm sure the next royal will be quick to take his place. No telling how long that'll take, but there's no guarantee he'll be a nice guy." He looks at them over his shoulder. "I hope your seduction tactic works, but there's no guarantee. With me and my team, though, I'd put my life on the line to rescue those who deserve it." He walks over to Cotton, gently placing a hoof on her shoulder. "We will get you and the others out, as well as take care of the Baron. Okay?"

Cotton nods, but a few words of what he said cause he to ask. "Umm... we?"

"What, you thought I came alone?" The pegasus chuckles, shaking his head. "Nah, I have some friends downstairs. Trust me, they're all professionals."

With a wide smile, Cotton turns to the room at large, spreading her hooves wide. "Ladies, we got us some white knights!" A wave of excited giggling and squealing follows this announcement as almost all of the mares suddenly get up and swarm the stallion. Most of them try and say something to him, but their words are lost in the crowd. Quite a few of them pet him affectionately and there are even a few flank slaps and grabs mixed in.

Enigma blushes brightly, nervously laughing. "Y-you're all welcome, I just-" He jumps at a grope near his belly, sweating lightly from the reaction his body is starting to give. "Seriously ladies, I'm flattered, but-" The burgundy pony yelps as a mare spanks his flank, quickly taking to the air and rubbing the assaulted fur. As he reaches a good height, he finally realizes just how much clearer the air was, blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. "Dear Luna, how many of you are in heat?!"

They all give him a strange look as one of them answers. "Umm... none of us are... think of it this way: we've been rarely used sex slaves of a creature with the back half of a cat. We are mares, we are designed for stallions and you, sir, are our rescuer and look as graceful as one of us. Plus, you know, you are the first we've seen in a while." She grins as they all get an eyeful from their position under him. "Plus, you are teasing us by literally dangling it in front of us."

A light purple pegasus raises a hoof. "Umm... I'm actually in heat next week if you're available, Mister Enigma."

He gulps and tries to cover himself, shyly smiling. "S-sorry, I sometimes don't think when I talk... b-besides, I don't think I'd be that good... even with my, er, generous size..." His eyes dart from mare to mare, hoping that what he said would be explanation enough.

A few of them start rearing up onto their hindlegs trying to reach him. "We'd be more than willing to teach you... we promise we'll be patient."

He nervously laughs, moving to the top of the four-poster bed and perching there. "Ladies, I just... I don't think you'd want someone with no experience..." He shrugs, looking off to the side. "T-that's all."

A couple of them lick their lips as the crowd follows him, the pegasi in the crowd unable to flap their wings to get to him for a variety of reasons as they chatter among themselves. "Oh, he's fresh... untouched... mint condition... moldable... we could blow his mind..."

Enigma groans, facehoofing as he realizes what he just did. "Brilliant... no way they're gonna calm down, now..." He sighs, laying down along a beam and rolling a hoof. "I know some of you just wanted to talk. Who were they?"

Cotton is one of about a third of the crowd to raise their hoof.

"Good." He sits up, his medallion flashing the crowd with a bright light.

They all squeal, covering their eyes and crouching down. When the light clears, they blink and look around, now seeing cotton up there with him. "Hey... No fair... Why her?... That wasn't nice..."

"For one, she was the first to actually talk to me. I know her name. Second," he pats her shoulder, "she wasn't one of the mares trying to get at my body. And let's face it, I'm doing my best to remain respectful to all of you; sleeping with any of you just doesn't seem right to me, morally."

One voice in the crowd offers a solution. "You could sleep with all of us."

Enigma stares blankly at the mare in question before slamming his head against the beam, splintering the wood on impact. "Of course... harem ponies..." He groans, looking back up at them with nary a scratch on his face. "Look, you're missing the point. I don't want to take advantage of your current state." He gestures with a hoof. "If you felt the same after being back in society, that's different. Now, you're just sex-deprived..." He glances at Cotton. "I can assume that you're one of the new ponies here, right?"

She nods. "Relatively anyway. I've been here about a month."

"Good." He smiles, patting her back. "I think I need a minute for this, er... problem to die down." He clears his throat. "Maybe we could shoot the breeze, Miss Cotton?"

"Oh, sure, we can do that." She nods as she lays down, casting one glance down at the group of mares all staring up at them before clearing her throat. "Perhaps if you talked a little more about how and when we're going to get out of here? It could get their minds off you for a moment."