• Published 8th Apr 2012
  • 2,340 Views, 38 Comments

Stormy Nights 2: In the Clouds - Void Chicken



Stormy moves to a new town to find her destiny.

  • ...
2
 38
 2,340

Chapter 4

A few days’ work had set what remained of the Flower Festival in a pile outside of town with whatever wood could be scrounged up. A faint breeze blew through, sending the scent of the flowers across the town. The only pegasus in attendance stood near the front of the small crowd.

“Even though our first annual Flower Festival did not quite go as planned,” the mayor said as Stormy cringed, “I am still pleased to be able to close the Festival with our soon-to-be-traditional bonfire!”

The stars hung above the ponies’ heads. The faint glow of the new dawn adorned the horizon behind the pile of debris.

Mayor Honey continued, “Because of the great help she has been in the cleanup, I would like to ask Miss Stormy Nights to light this year’s bonfire.”

The mayor held out a small lit torch. Stormy didn’t take it. She opened her wings and took off. Ahead, Stormy spotted the small black cloud that she had hidden earlier. As she reached it, Stormy banked around, the tip of a primary feather just brushing the mass.

Four laps around the cloud charged it to Stormy’s satisfaction. She dove back down towards the pile. Halfway to the ground, a bolt of lightning shot out of the cloud, past the pegasus, and struck the tinder at its base.

Only then did Stormy notice that three ponies had wandered close to the debris.

Stormy rushed down and landed next to the newborn fire. “I’m sorry... I didn’t see... you moved... are you okay?”

One of the earth ponies turned to Stormy with wide eyes. “I-I-I just wanted to get a better... better look... and...” A second pony was trying to clear her ears out with her hoof.

Stormy looked at the rest of the crowd. In the growing light of the dawn she could see faces in varying states of surprise and wariness.

Mayor Honey muttered something under her breath, then cleared her throat. “Stormy, would you do me a favor and ask Miss Silver Lining to visit me in my office? I’d like to speak with her. Alone this time.”

---

Stormy laid on her back on her bed, staring at the black ceiling. A knock at her front door grabbed her attention.

She opened the door to find Wobbler standing outside.

“Hi Stormy.”

“Sto—” She blinked. “You... I mean, what happened? What’d the mayor say?”

“Weeeell... she was kinda sorta really upset. I guess I shoulda told her about you and that lightning of yours. And the storm. And, uh, forecasts. And a little-or-a-lot of other things over the past few months. And something about attitude I don’t remember.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. But you’ll remember next time, at least. Right?”

“Stormy, you silly pony. There isn’t going to be a next time.” Wobbler forced a smile. “I’m not your boss anymore!”

“I... I’m sorry.”

“Nah, it’s okay! I’ll find a new job and work my way up to Canterlot...” Wobbler’s wing twitched. “Somehow.” Her voice began to choke up. “I-I better go pack my things. See you around, Stormy. It was great knowing you!” Wobbler turned and corkscrewed away.

Stormy slowly closed the door.

They were afraid of me. Is this all I can do? Make townspeople fear me and ruin lives? How do I fix this? Celestia, I don’t know what to DO!

Stormy flopped onto the black cloud floor. A thunderbolt boomed below.

The blood drained from Stormy’s face. She rushed outside and frantically searched below her cloudhome. The bolt had struck a tree and shattered part of its trunk, but there were no ponies nearby.

Stormy landed on what was left of the tree and stared at the debris on the ground. Nopony here... but there could have been. She looked up at her home, the black mass looming overhead, ready to destroy whatever, or whoever, was unlucky enough to wander below. There could have been.

---

Strawberry,

I’ve done something wrong. I can’t come back to Coltumbus. I’m sorry, you weren’t safe near me. Nopony is. I’m not safe to be around. I’ve figured out what to do, though. Sorry I won’t get to see you again. I’ll miss you.

-Stormy

---

Stormy noticed the nervous glances she got as she flew across the town. As she landed in front of City Hall, a pair of ponies exited, avoiding eye contact and giving her a wide berth. Stormy tapped on the door and stuck her head in.

“Um, Miss Mayor?”

Mayor Honey lifted her head out of her hooves. “Oh it’s you. Come in.”

Stormy entered, being careful to keep her distance. “I was just thinking... about what happened.”

“And I’ve been talked to about it by every pony in town. But I’ve heard everypony else’s opinion; I might as well hear yours.”

“I know the entire town’s afraid of me.”

“No, actually. Many ponies support you, believe it or not. The two ponies who just left, for instance.”

Stormy recalled the couple’s expressions. “I see. But... I have an idea that will make everypony happy. I’m leaving town. Nopony will argue over how dangerous I am if I go. I’ve already packed.” Stormy’s saddlebags hung at her sides.

The mayor thought for a moment. “I can’t tell you what to do. You should do what you think is best, Stormy. Where are you going to go?”

Stormy turned to leave. “I don’t know. I’ll figure things out, somehow. I’m sorry, Mayor Honey, for putting your town through this.”

Stormy Nights left the building, opened her wings, and flew away.

Comments ( 15 )

A short chapter to finish off Stormy Nights 2. Sorry Stormy 2 is little shorter than Stormy 1 was. As usual, I'll get around to making some A/N blog post, so if there is anything you need clarified, ask away before then.

Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Blog!

Poor Stormy... Poor town... Poor Mayor... POOR STRAWBERRY! Seriously, she's going to be so sad and terrified for her friend when she gets that letter, it reads like a suicide note. I hope there's another installment down the road.

...stormy... three?

Hm. I liked it, but I can't favorite something that's incomplete. Nothing was resolved, so the arc hasn't ended. Sorry brony, I can't let you start a Stormy Nights 3 without finishing Stormy 2. :derpytongue2:

I don't let my failures get me down! As long as no one is permanently injured or killed, I will go about my experiments with a zeal that only a scientist could have!

Granted, I am impulsive at times, but it seems like Stormy has a case of guilt. She needs a good friend, an intervention, and some cider.

530226 Bah! I AM a scientist! Our zeal is only rewarded when people are injured and die! Preferably by THE MILLIONS!!! *insane cackle!! He's a MAD SCIENTIST!!! From the South Jersey Shore even!* GENTLEMEN.... BEHOLD!!! :pinkiecrazy:

536378

PRESS THE BUTTON!

MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAA...

*explosion*

Errr.... I got carried away there, sorry everyo-

Hello? Is anyone there? Anyone?

D:

coulda done more with that. kinda ends abruptly

I'm sorry, but the ending is just.... unfinished. I was reading and I got the impression that I was actually moving towards the CLIMAX of the story rather than have it already happened.

Yeah, Stormy did a stupid thing and made some people fear him. He learned nothing, nothing was confronted, nothing really gained.

I'm sorry, but this just bummed me. Hence why I gave it a thumbs down.

585379

If Stormy learned, improved, and grew, then this wouldn't be a sad fic, now would it? The whole point of the story is that everything falls apart around her.

But you could well argue that she 'learned' that she was a danger to everypony around her. That's something she didn't know at the beginning.

Oh and Stormy's a girl. I don't know how you can read 15,000 words about her and miss that.

587289

First, I did notice Stormy is a girl. It just skipped my mind. :twilightsheepish: Gender does not play much importance in my mind when it comes to ponies.

I would argue about the points about what he "learned" (submitting to an old insecurity is not "learning" and depression doesn't "teach" you anything, and yes, I know from personal experience) and what he didn't, but that would be pointless. It would boil down to personal preference, which would be pointless to argue.

So, please don't take my negative feedback too deep or anything. I just read through Stormy Nights one and I went to reading In The Clouds without noticing the "sad" tag. I still think that the ending is not really satisfying though.

Indeed it looks like cliffhanger in the end of the chapter, not like final of story.
But I liked it anyway (except of chapter 4 to be honest).
Looking forward for Stormy Nights 3...

A CLIFFHANGER!??!!?!? You pester me for a week to read this and you're leaving it at a got damn cliffhanger? I'm soooooo going to strangle you.

this fic is much interesting than I expected,

will be reading chapter 3 now, seeing a happy Strawberry

Nice job! Going to read the third one now!

Login or register to comment