• Published 28th Mar 2012
  • 2,074 Views, 43 Comments

Observer Prime - RoseluckyCinor



A man must observe a new planet for possible interstellar contact.

  • ...
3
 43
 2,074

Septenary

Date… 27th of March 4317; I finally got a report back from Alpha and the fleet. We are pulling back. Everyone’s leaving. There’s no reason, no explanation. I’m getting picked up tomorrow from immediate evacuation.

How could things have gotten so bad in Alpha or elsewhere that we have to pull out like this? At least I’ll have the day to say my goodbyes to the few ponies I’ve talked to. Maybe Twilight can tell me more; she said she had contact with the princesses. Maybe I can ask her now, it isn’t late at all. It’s only noon, local time.

*Chair slides away *

Observer out.

~~Chat Closed~~


Date, still 27th of March. 4317. I had brief words with Twilight. Yellow… Fluttershy, was there. She was telling Twilight of a distinct lack of animals in the forests near town. I didn’t like the looks of it already. I asked Twilight if she had any words with the princesses. She told me that my people had been asking for things to join the Federation. Taxes and the like. The princess had told them ‘no’, so the people left.

She said we had asked for anything, jewels, furs, gold. Whatever we could get our hands on. I don’t know if this is standard integration technique, but maybe it is. All I know is that pickup is tomorrow. I was able to say my goodbyes to Twilight and Fluttershy at least, I told her to tell the rest of her friends too. She gave me a book as a farewell gift. I guess she wanted our peoples to be friends as well.

One more thing… the soldiers are staying with me for pickup tomorrow. Lucky for me they chose to stay outside, but they are eating the rest of my supplies. I want to know why we’re leaving without really trying.

The Federation’s attempts at interspecies contact is deeply buried with high clearance needed to read it, so I can’t find anything there. I sent a message to the admiral asking for a chance to talk. He quickly sent a reply saying he’d explain it all when he got the chance, but he’s busy organizing transports and light speed jumps.

Maybe it will make more sense tomorrow. Observer, reluctantly, out.

~~Chat Closed~~


--Personal Log--

28th of March, 4317. Just a quick note here for Twilight if she comes here after I leave.

I just want to thank you. Thank you for the book, the information, for… friendship. If I can, I’ll come back here, with Kara. Maybe on our next anniversary. She’s always looking for a new planet to settle on.

*Tapping *

The others are telling me the shuttle arrived. I’ve really got to go. I’m going to leave this tape here for you to listen to if you want. I also left a copy of the original observations if you want to laugh at how wrong I was the first time.

*Chuckle *

It was… real nice meeting you all. Observer out.

--Personal Log Closed—



Can’t say much right now. I’m doing something I’ve never done before… treason. Man, whoever hears this is going to freak out at what I learned.

*Padded footsteps *

I talked with the Admiral. He gave me the worst news. It turns out that the Federation isn’t exactly honest with how it deals with non-Fed species. The Admiral explained it simply; they don’t pay taxes, they don’t join the Federation. Normally, that’s not too bad, but the ponies don’t have a military in any real form.

Therefore it was decided that we could take what we want.

*Door slides open *

Coast is clear. I’m doing what I have to now. The Federation never met these creatures like I did. I have to warn them somehow. They don’t have communications broadcasting tools like we do, so I have to go to them. The Federation isn’t right, and I’d be decommissioned just for saying that if anyone heard. I know I’m right.

So I’m doing what I have to do now. I’m warning the ponies. I’m going to ‘take’ a shuttle down there. Raiding parties are scheduled to ship out tomorrow, and after the riches are plundered, they’re going to… eliminate them.

I’m in the shuttle bay now. Pretty sure I can fly one of these things.

*Sits, engine roars to life. Sirens blare*

*Robotic Voice* Unauthorized Shuttle Use. Power Down the Shuttle.

I’m not stopping, not now! I’ve got to get out before the doors close… Yes!

*Static of Communications. Gruff Voice* Observer? Return at once or I will be forced to fire on you. Don’t make me do this, son.

I can’t, Admiral…. It’s not right.

*Admiral * You are committing treason against the Federation…. The penalty for this transgression is death. (Aside) Prepare to fire.

No. I won’t return and this isn’t treason. This is saving. I’m saving them.

*Engines whine louder*

You know what I’m doing is right! Why can’t you admit it? Let me go and just fly away, Admiral. Please.

*Silence for a minute*

I guess he’s letting me warn them….

*Sniffling*

*Admiral’s voice arises over the sound of static* Prepare to fire on my mark.

No!

*Admiral* You know it had to be this way. We picked you because you were the best, not because you were a traitor. Fire in three…T *Communications cut out*

Maybe I can evade it; I’m in the atmosphere I ca-

*Cacophony of explosions and rending metal. Air rushes past the recorder until it lands heavily in the ground. Hours pass. A new voice appears*

This looks like one of Observer’s recorders.... Let’s see what it says, girls.


~~Chat Closed~~

**To Be continued**