• Published 25th Mar 2014
  • 982 Views, 18 Comments

Outcasts of Equestria - Old Ben Kenobi



When Canterlot is overthrown from the inside, our band of heroes must once again try to save Equestria from a highly dangerous opponent.

  • ...
2
 18
 982

Chapter 6-The Beast in the Caves

Twilight and her friends walked across the dark, stony path with crystals rearing up on either side. Rarity looked at them with wide eyes.
"Twilight," she whispered, "Are you sure there is absolutely no way for us to collect some of these crystals? It seems such an awful shame to let them go to waste like this."
"Rarity," said Twilight, "Most of these crystals are resilliant to magic, so 0it would take immense amounts of magic to remove them. And even if we could, the crystal formation in this cave is very delicate-I don't think it would be very enjoyable to be covered in shards of crystal while we try to get out of here."
Rarity nodded, but still looked at the crystals wistfully.
The group continued on their journey through the crystal mines, unaware of the pair of cold, reptillian eyes warching them from the huge, dark cavern ceiling.

As the company walked on, Spike asked Twilight a question.
"Uh, Twilight?" He said.
"What is it, Spike?" said Twilight.
"If we get out of here, what are we going to do? Are we going back to Ponyville to tell everypony about Blueblood?"
"I was thinking the same thing, Spike," replied Twilight, "But that's the first place Blueblood would expect us to go. He will very likely ordered his guards to take the place over. Although I don't think Blueblood expects us to escape from here, he still would probably try and subdue Ponyville anyway: it is the nearest place to Canterlot, and the most likely place to be an immediate threat to him."
"Then what do we do, Twilight?" Said Spike.
"Right now, we should focus on getting out," said Twilight, "We can worry about where we'll go after that."
Suddenly, Discord appeared next to Twilight, lying on a floating white cloud.
"Well, Princess," came Discord's voice, "It looks like you finally know what it's like to be in my position."
"Your position?" Remarked Twilight incredulously.
"Oh Twilight Sparkle," chuckled Discord in amusement, "All you've known for your life is being on the winning side. When I first came to Equestria, I was all on my own, against the regin of Royalty. Now, the exact same thing is happening to you, Princess Twilight!"
Twilight Sparkle said nothing for several seconds. She then turned back to Discord.
"You're wrong, Discord. There's one thing I have that you didn't when you came to Equestria-
"The magic of friendship," Discord finished in a bored voice, "Yes, I suppose you're right. But perhaps, when friendship is all you have, we both may find out if it really is as powerful as Celestia makes it out to be..."
"Twilight," came Applejack's voice, "There's a light up ahead."
There was a large stone wall ahead of the group. It had lots of stones jutting out that they could use to traverse it, and at the top of the wall, there was a bright light.
"That must be the Western exit," said Twilight, "If we head up that way, we should be able to find our way out of these caves."
Suddenly, Fluttershy stopped in her tracks. She started quivering and looking up at the ceiling.
"Fluttershy, dear," said Rarity, "Whatever is the matter?"
"I saw...something m-move," she stuttered,
"It was probably just a bat, Fluttershy," said Pinkie.
"No," said Fluttershy, "It was too big...and too dark....and..."
"Yes?" said Twilight
"And it was moving towards us."
Suddenly, there was a growling noise eminating from behind them. They turned around, and beheld a terrifying sight.

The creature looked like something from the gates of Tartarus. It had an emerald green snake's head with two blue eyes, sparkling with malice. It had the body of a leopard, the front paws of a lion and the back legs of a deer. It padded towards them, snarling.
"What in the hay is that thing?" shouted Applejack.
"That's...that's the Beast Glatisunt!" Replied Twilight.
The creature roared, and pounced at the nearest living thing, which happened to be Rainbow Dash. She flew out of the way, then dive bombed it from above.
"Rainbow,no!" shouted Twilight, but it was too late. With unbelieveable speed, the creature dashed out of the way of Rainbow, who pulled back just in time before she hit the ground.
"How can that thing travel so fast?" Said Rainbow Dash.
"It's magic means it is impossible to touch or capture," replied Twilight, "Any attacks on it by us will be useless!"
The creature appeared on top of the ledge that they were trying to reach. It barked like a hundred dogs, then jumped down towards Twilight Sparkle. However, just as it was about to land on top of her, a large, pink mass fell in the way. Discord had created a cloud, blocking Twilight from the beast. It dashed out of the way and onto the path from which the group had come from. Discord grinned. He snapped his fingers, and hundreds of meters above, a small brown hammer materialised.
"Princess," said Discord, "I think now would be a good time to use your shield spell,"
Twilight looked at him with a confused look, but then her eyes turned wide in realisation.
"Everypony, to me!" She shouted.
The hammer swung, knocking a tiny crystal out of place. Everyone, including the beast, looked up. A huge crack was forming in the crystals above them. Suddenly, all the crystals shattered into a billion, glistening shards. The Beast turned tail and ran, as the pieces of crystal showered from the heavens. Luckily, Twilight had cast her shield spell, so all the crystals bounced away from the group, leaving everyone unharmed.

After the event had finished, Twilight turned to Discord, her eyes filled with fear and anger.
"Discord," she said, "Why did you do that? You coukd have gotten us all killed!"
Discord grinned.
"Now is that any way to talk to a friend who just saved your life?" he smirked, "And besides, did you have any better ideas?"
"I suppose not," said Twilight, "Sorry, Discord."
"Well, I'll accept your apology this time, but it better not happen again," said Discord, and floated up to the top of a ledge on a grey cloud.
The group walked up the ledge after him.
"Twilight," said Fluttershy, with worry, "Is he okay?"
"Who?"
"The creature. It wasn't his fault:he was hungry."
"Oh, he'll be fine," she said, "You saw how agile he was. And besides, he can't be harmed that easily."
"But what was he doing here, Twilight?" Asked Applejack, "Why would a creature like that be found here, so close to Canterlot?"
"I had always thought the Beast Glatisunt had been a myth," said Twilight, "It was first reported a thousand years ago, when Nightmare Moon had been banished. Legends say that it only appears when great Kingdoms or alliances start to fall. Apparently, even Princess Celestia, with all her power, was unable to capture the creature, so she sent it away,never to be seen again. Now that she's...gone," Twilight gulped, " Who knows what kind of creatures will return to the lands of Equestria?"
The company reached the top of the ledge and saw the beautiful daylight, but they were silent. With the realization the Princesses were gone came a feeling that they were on a losing side that was gradually becoming more futile with every step they took.