• Published 13th May 2014
  • 16,484 Views, 1,175 Comments

Because Ponies Are the Size of Cats and They Love to Cuddle - shortskirtsandexplosions



In the future, we'll colonize the solar system, cure cancer, clone the human genome, and build trans-dimensional hoodies that can summon tiny talking horses from an alternate universe. It's pretty snazzy.

  • ...
48
 1,175
 16,484

Snacks

I rush in through the apartment door with a plastic bag. I slam it shut behind me. Dissolving my digikey, I toss my gloves onto the couch and rush into the bedroom. I immediately unplug the hoodie, stretch it out, and lay it across the bed beside my plastic bag.

Scrambling, I fetch a sheet of paper and hastily scribble a note on it: "AJ. Can you please come over? I have something fantastic to share with you!" I wad the paper up and shove it into the hoodie's pouch. Tugging on the tag, I send the message beyond the fabric of time and space.

I do not leave the room. I stand there, leaning against the footboard of the bed, wringing my hands together. My eyes are glued on the hoodie. Minutes pass. Half an hour goes by. At last—finally—the pouch bulges outward. I thrust my hand in, grab a piece of paper, and unfold it: "Just gimme a second, sugarcube. I gotta knock out some chores."

I try to contain my squeals. I fail. I twist my ankles together; it's all I can do to keep from bouncing up and down.

At last, I see the ends of the hoodie's strings pulsating. Just short of lunging forward, I grab onto the edges of the article's neckline and pull it loose. An adorable orange pony materializes in front of me.

"Eyunnnnghhh..." Applejack yawns. Her mane is a tattered mess, and I see splotches of mud and earth all across her soft coat. "Nnngh... now what's this all about, darlin'?" She blinks warily at me. "Reckon I can't stay long. I've got a lot to do around the farm and—"

"Applejack!" I exclaim, beaming. I grin in her face, then reach for the plastic bag. "You'll never guess what has happened?!"

"Nnngh... do I have to?" She teeters exhaustively. "Can't y'all just tell me?" Another yawn. "Nnnngh... so... m-many ears of corn... I swear to Celestia—" A tiny plastic bag falls at her hooves. She glances down at the thing, blinking. "Uhhhhh..." Her hoof nervously bats at the thing like it's a hackey-sack. "What in tarnation is this?"

"I want you to try some!" I squat down and kneel beside the bag. "This is something that's been an integral part of human civilization for a long... long time." I raise the tiny bag up and turn it upright between us, smiling. "It's very near and dear to our culture. We like to call it..." I rip the bag open and hold it beneath her, grinning. "...Chex Mix!"

Applejack's nose scrunches up. She stares into the bag, squinting. She tilts her gaping muzzle up to stare at me. "This... this here is food?"

"Yup!" I grin.

"As in... real... edible food?"

"Yup yup!"

"But... erhm..." Applejack fidgets nervously. "I figured it was against the rules... that it was downright dangerous for me to consume anythang—much less bring anythang from one world to the next—"

"The rules have changed!" I exclaim, giggling. "I just got done meeting up with the inventor of the Article! A new list of rules have been typed up! At the top of the list is the transferrence of bioorganic matter and edibles! You can totally snack on our snacks, AJ!"

"... ... ..." Applejack stared at the bag.

"Isn't that so awesome?! I can finally get you to try out sushi, pizza, venutian snails! I promise it's all gonna be so scrumptious and—"

Applejack grabbed the hoodie's strings, tugged them, and disappeared.

I stared at the deflated article on the bed. I blinked, nearly dropping the Chex Mix. "Applejack?" Silence. I reach forward and poke at the hoodie. "Applejack?" In a slight panic, I pull and tug at the strings. "What... where...?" I bite my lip, fidgeting. "God's Hooks... did... d-did she fade out of existence?" I gulp. "Did I piss her off too much? Oh, Zoram, bless me..."

Just then, the ends of the strings flicker.

"...!" I immediately snatch the neckline and pull it wide.

The first thing I see is the hoodie's pouch bulging to the breaking point. Then, breathless and sweaty, Applejack reappears. All traces of exhaustion and lethargy are gone, and in their place is a bouncing, smiling earth pony.

"Okay okay okay..." She leans forward. "I reckoned this day would never come! But—consarn it!" She makes a snorting sound, which I realize is the closest the mare can come to squealing like a little filly. "Yeeha! This is so amazin! Now! Now... close yer eyes!"

"Huh?"

"I done told ya to close them peepers now close 'em!"

"Alright! Alright..." I take a deep breath and pull my eyes shut.

"Now... hold out yer hoof."

"My what?"

"Erm... eheheheh... y'all know what I mean."

I smile to myself. I put my gloveless palm out. Something soft and round plops into my palm.

"Uhhhh... AJ?"

"Now... take a gander."

My eyes flutter open. The first thing I see is the color red... and a very vibrant hue at that. I sit up straight, turning the fruit around in my grasp. "It's... it's..."

"Pretend yer recitin' the human alphabet!" she says, grinning from freckled ear to freckled ear.

"Really?" I gawk at her. "This is an apple?!"

"Well, what did you expect it to be, darlin'?"

"But... b-but..." I pluck a tiny wooden-looking string at the top. "The Hell is this thing?"

"That's called the stem." Applejack grins wickedly. "Ya see, pony apples are grown from trees. They ain't processed in a factory like all yer nonsensical synthetic thangs."

"Grown..." I feel myself trembling slightly. "...from an actual tree."

"Yup! Sure as sugar is!"

"It... it's not going to bite me or something, is it?"

"Heeheehee!" Applejack rolls over onto the bed, clutching herself. Three more apples spill out of her pouch as she looks up at me. "It ain't that kind of a livin' thang, darlin'!"

"What... what do you want me to do with it?"

She smirks slyly. "What do y'all think?"

I give her a double-take. "No..."

She nods.

"Really?"

She nods some more.

I stare at the apple. It's so shiny, I can almost see my reflection. "Okay... uhm..." I move to get up. "Lemme go get a fork... or something—"

"Just bite into it, ya dag blame'd fool!"

"With... my teeth?"

"Unless y'all've got tentacles hidin' under that blouse of yers!"

"Uhhh... okay..." I gulp. Closing my eyes, I lean forward, then sink my teeth into the plush material. The skin breaks and the pulp floods into my mouth. I feel like I'm set on fire—only it's a soft, melting kind of a fire. My taste buds vibrate like sonic gates off the rings of Saturn. I don't realize what the bite has done to my vision until I reopen my eyes to a field of bright white sparkles. Once it's all said and done, I see Applejack standing up, smiling eagerly at me. She's about to tip off the edge of her hooves with anticipation.

"Well?" She wriggles with a flicking tail. "What do ya think?"

"I... I..." I run a hand over my head. "I-I don't think I can think right now!"

"Heheheheh!"

"You tiny horses actually eat this ambrosia on a regular basis?"

"Home grown and from the heart!" Applejack tilts her head up proudly. "And I'm plum-happy to be sharin' it with you, darlin'."

"Yeah, well..." I glance at the apple, smiling. "I'm happy too." I take another bite and relish in the waves of pleasure washing down my spine. "Mrmmmf... among other adjectives. Mrmmmf..."

"And that ain't the half of it!" She winks. "Y'all got the makin's for bakin's?"

"I'm sure I can go out and fetch some syntho-dough. Why?"

She simply grins.

I almost collapse right here and now. "You... you c-can make pies with these?" I gawk at what's left of the skin to reflect my gawking expression. "Do we live in such a world?"

"Reckon we do now." Applejack chuckles and picks up the bag of Chex Mix. "So, whaddya waitin' for?"

"I thought you had chores to do..."

"That was before the best part of my day happened." The stuck her muzzle into the snack bag and took a crunching bite. Her green eyes instantly bulged. "Whoa nelly!" Applejack coughed and sputtered, flailing left and right on the bed covers. "Salt salt salt salt salt!"