• Published 21st Apr 2014
  • 722 Views, 20 Comments

The Darkest Day In Changeling History: The Beast Of Salem - Harbinger Of Mist



The Changelings sure are horrible little parasites, aren't they? Well... They used to be a LOT worse. But something happened that caused them to change forever.

  • ...
1
 20
 722

Intro: The Changelings of Yore

Author's Note:

This can be skipped if you so wished. But since it gives insight into how this fanfic works, I still recommend reading it in case you start to have a few questions regarding the Changelings while going through the main story.
This intro reads like an archaeological study; all exposition.

Deep in Salem Valley laid one of the Changelings' original settlements. They acted as they did today: Finding unfortunate ponies and other creatures near their territory and draining energy from their emotions; and on occasion, planning invasions of cities of the queen's desires. Nowadays, that's all they do; but way back then, they were much different. Back then, they only did so on the small-fry, but in a much more gruesome fashion. They would single out their targets, swoop in, and sink their fangs straight into their neck. They did not take any blood, but their life essence itself. The stronger the emotions of the victim, the stronger a signal they give off to their hunter and the more energy it could feed upon. The only chance they had was to show no emotion: No sadness, no fear, no despair. That method however was impossible, as the Changelings could always strike at least a spark of hopelessness into every victim.

Often enough, they would locate a small group of ponies whom showed plenty of emotion toward each other. Those unfortunate souls became even more so when they are captured by an entire squad of Changelings and brought back to their castle. They would then be thrown into cells where they could be kept alive through careful means so they could be drained for a much extended period. Their cells were just like any dungeon your imagination could muster: cold, dank, dark, and all-around uncomfortable.

The prisoners were often kept in shackles, and fed upon up to three times a day depending on how much strength they had left. They were fed mere morsels, just enough to keep them alive through sustenance. They were forced to sleep on the hard, uneven stone floors of their cells. No archaeological evidence was found to conclude how they were able to relieve themselves.

They would not last long in those conditions, no longer than a single week. At which point, the queen would show up at their cell personally to give the command to the over-looking guards to "suck them dry". She deems them no longer useful; too weak to sustain. The guards would enter, sink in their fangs, and carry out the orders word for word. Up until then, they would use the typical "spell" method of feeding just before the point the prisoners would fall unconscious. Here, they go all they way like they do on the rest of their prey. Their emotions and life essence is completely drained, and their bodies are disposed of, left to rot in a pre-designated area near the castle.

The bones piled up in the older sites found by scientists. Some of ones that were abandoned by the queen more recently had no such collections. She no longer brought ponies, or any other victims for that matter, back to their castle. They now live solely off of stragglers and invasions. This evidence supported that something occurred long ago which caused this change in behaviour. Other studies and expeditions in previous Changeling settlements led to the discovery of an old journal left behind by the queen. This journal outlined how she thought and acted, and how she ruled her kingdom. This is what led to how we now know how they operated back then, but even more so, conclusive evidence to how they changed forever...