• Published 12th Mar 2014
  • 1,614 Views, 33 Comments

The Summerbug Factor - Natsumushi



An artist from Cloudsdale is hired to create some cloud art for Rarity’s next Fashion show but things quickly begin to get interesting as Summerbug meets up with a pair of old schoolmates and stirs emotions within them both old and new.

  • ...
18
 33
 1,614

Chapter 2 - Pasts Revealed

As Fluttershy and Rarity made their way to the Ponyville spa, Fluttershy took a glance back at Summerbug and Rainbow Dash. It’s been a long time since I saw Summerbug! I never expected him to change that much, I barely recognized him. She thought to herself.

"Fluttershy, dear, is something troubling you? You look a tad warm." asked a concerned Rarity. It took Fluttershy a few moments to acknowledge the white unicorn's inquiry, and then realized that she was blushing.

"Oh! Uh...no. It’s just that I was...um...remembering some stuff from when I was still a filly in school." she replied bashfully.

"Is it something you'd be willing to share dear? I would like to know how your school life was! Mine was pretty fair, aside from countless love notes shoved in my desk on almost a daily basis."

"Well, I suppose I could. It’s just a bit embarrassing though, and a little painful." she began.

"You needn't force yourself if wish not to talk about it." Rarity interrupted, not wishing for her friend to recall anything that would upset the timid mare.

"That's very thoughtful, but it’s in the past now. I don't mind at all really. It’s just that I was surprised to see how much Summerbug changed over the years." Fluttershy replied.

The white unicorn's ears suddenly perked up at that statement and her eyes lit up with wonder.

"You went to school with him? Then why did Rainbow say they had just met? Not that I doubt you dear, but you did go to the same school as her did you not?" She questioned, taken aback a bit.

"Oh, course we did. But in Rainbow's defense, even I hardly recognized him."

"How so?"

"Well back then, he...um...well...how put this in a nice way...was a teensy bit on the hefty side." Fluttershy said, feeling a little bad at how tactless she might have sounded.

"Really!? Well he certainly grew into quite the handsome stallion. Why that onyx mane, sapphire coat and tiger-eye like...eyes, (oh dear, that certainly sounded a bit off). Why, he would be quite the looker after I get my hooves on him! Oh! But do continue dear, I'm sorry for interrupting you so much."

"Oh...um...okay. Well, the thing is that back then he got picked on a lot, even worse than me. His art was just so moving and inspirational that I instantly began to fall in love with it! But because of his talent, others started rumors that he was...um...into other colts. I wish I wasn't so shy back then, then maybe I could have stood up for him and possibly make his school years easier. And...Maybe we..." she trailed off quietly.

Back then, she not only loved his art, but also harbored a secret crush on him as well. He was fine back then, but seeing him again after all this time and how toned he became, old feelings surged back in such a profound way the she had to hide her face behind her pink mane.

"That you could what?" Rarity asked.

"So Rarity, how are you dresses coming along? I'm eager to see how your fashion week goes." Fluttershy quickly asked, hoping that the purple manned fashionista would take the bait and Fluttershy wouldn't have to share her embarrassing fantasy. And it seemed to have worked, because she suddenly began telling Fluttershy about her newest line; Emerald chic.

This brought the yellow Pegasus a much desired break, for she knew that the past would haunt her for as long as Summerbug stayed around.

***

After a quiet walk to the restaurant that Rainbow Dash initially suggested, Summerbug finally broke the silence.

"You're awfully quiet now Dash, what's on your mind?" he asked.

Rainbow paused momentarily as she pondered her answer, only to feel a blush cross her face. Unable to understand her sudden shift in feelings, she finally just asked him the question that had subconsciously been nagging her.

"Look, not to sound weird or anything, but have we meet before?"

Summerbug let out a "finally" Before turning to his rainbow manned acquaintance.

"Yes. You, Fluttershy and I all went to the same school. I was the fat little colt who asked you to be my special somepony on hearts and hooves day 16 years ago." He plainly and somewhat bitterly replied. Rainbow Dash suddenly remembered everything clearly, and stood in shock and disbelief at the revelation.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on a minute, you mean to tell me that you’re that Summerbug? The art nerd?" she questioned in her usual, tactless, zeal.

Summerbug's face reddened in annoyance. "Yes, I am, Rainbow...Dash.” he replied, desperately suppressing the urge to call her by her old nickname, Rainbow Crash. However they were out of school and adults now. No need for petty name calling.

"Dude! You look great! Not to be rude, but how'd you do it? I mean, you were barely any better than Fluttershy flight-wise. But now you can fly almost on par with yours truly." She boasted, and then added, "Why didn't you tell me sooner? We could've avoided the awkward conversation we had with my friends earlier."

"It's...complicated. I was a little surprised to see you, actually, not only in boring little, rustic Ponyville, but also without your shadow."

Rainbow looked down to see her shadow. Yep, still there.

"What do you mean? My shadow's fine. You feel okay?" she questioned.

Summerbug face-hoofed, "I was referring to Gilda: The griffon that never seemed to leave your side, ring any bells?" he asked, mildly frustrated.

Rainbow looked away, a mix of sorrow and anger sculpting her expression. “We don't talk anymore..."

"Really? You two were inseparable. What changed?" Summerbug asked as the two reached their destination. As they ordered their food, Rainbow Dash began to recount the event of when Gilda had come for a visit to Ponyville.

Summerbug could barely believe what he was hearing. At first he thought it just a tall tail similar to the ones she would tell from their youth, but the more she continued the more pained she seemed to become. And soon things began to be clear, and he felt he needed to rectify with her, even if I didn't really change anything in regards to the past.

"Hey, Dash..." he began, unsure how this would turn, “When you first met me this morning, if I was snippy with you I want to apologize. For years I held a bitter resentment towards you, but now that I know a little more about you I feel I should come clean as to why."

"Wait, what did I do to YOU? If it’s because I turned you down, that's really kinda lame." she began, on the defensive.

“In part…yes. But Gilda had a claw in it too. Allow me to explain." He said, as he then recounted to rainbow dash what exactly transpired.

Author's Note:

Okay, So I know this is kind of short and that people are possibly getting eager to read about the fashion show, I am getting there, the next chapter will be a Flashback followed by the Pinkie-Pie-Welcome-to-Ponyville-Party party and then after that I plan to finally get into the whole Fashion show Shenanigans. I would like to possibly receive some feedback seeing as I never wrote Fanfiction before in my life till now. ^^;