• Published 12th Mar 2014
  • 1,604 Views, 33 Comments

The Summerbug Factor - Natsumushi



An artist from Cloudsdale is hired to create some cloud art for Rarity’s next Fashion show but things quickly begin to get interesting as Summerbug meets up with a pair of old schoolmates and stirs emotions within them both old and new.

  • ...
18
 33
 1,604

Chapter 1 - Chasing Rainbows and making new friends

“Hey Egghead! You ready for some real flying lessons!” The cyan pegasus yelled through the window of the local Library; a giant, hollow and magically reshaped tree. The Library also happened to be the home of a lavender unicorn with wings.

Groggily, the alicorn mare looked up from her desk to see the time.

“Rainbow Dash…It’s only 5 a.m.” she yawned. “Why are you up so early?”

“Like I said after you turned into an alicorn, it’d be great to have another flying buddy, and I’m totally syked! I’ll show you all the best moves and the coolest views!” Rainbow Dash boasted with a chortle.

“But it’s early and I’ve been up all night reading up on how these things work.” she said as she unfurled her wings and clumsily flapped them to emphasize her point. “And Princess Celestia was also kind enough to send me some reference books from the Wonderbolt Academy.” She yawned.

“Ugh, really Twi`? Not everything is in books; you gotta just get out and do it! That’s how I learned, but then again I have a natural knack for this kind of thing.”

“Well duh, you’re a pegasus.” Twilight groaned in frustration, possibly also due to lack of sleep.

“Somepony woke up on the wrong side of the bed, sheesh…” Rainbow Dash grumbled.

“Look, Rainbow, just let me get more sleep. Besides, don’t you have work to do?”

“Nah, I already cleared the skies, it’s perfect flying weather.” She grinned, which soon became a scowl as she noticed her soon to be student continue to lay motionless in bed without making any effort to get up.

Stamping a hoof against the oak floor in frustration, she sighed muttering, “Whatever.” as she turned around to fly out the treehouse from the window in Twilight’s room. She just couldn't understand why her friend wasn't more excited. After all, what could be better than the feel of wind rushing through your feathers as you watched the world below crawl on by from the skies? Nothing in all of Equestria that could compare to that! Well, nothing in some dusty old textbook at least.

Shooting a glance back towards the bed, though, Rainbow Dash saw that Twilight had already settled peacefully beneath her sheets again, and it was clear even to her that her friend wasn't moving anytime soon. She let out a sigh; her brow furrowed as the pile of blankets in front of her rose and fell with a steady rhythm, before begrudgingly walking back over to Twilight's bedroom window. After looking back over her shoulder one final time, she limply flapped her wings and took to the air. It seemed it would be a little while longer before she had her "new flying buddy" after all. But maybe today, after Twilight had gotten all the sleep she needed and her morning dose of coffee, she'd might actually show some enthusiasm, rather than finding some other excuse to avoid flying practice, or "royal business" that had to be done.

At this point, though, that sure didn't seem very likely to Rainbow Dash.

Ah man! How long is she gonna put this off? First the alicorn thing and then the Sunset Shimmer incident, for buck’s sake come on!

Rainbow dash fumed. For years she wanted someone who she could fly with that wouldn’t be too afraid to go higher than a tree and now she finally can fly with one of her best friends. But every time she approached Twilight about doing something fun in the sky, something always stopped it. It was so aggravating! Rainbow Dash knew that Twilight Sparkle was now a princess and had important, royal things to do, but she couldn’t help but feel blown off by her. Even Princess Celestia seemed to find time to come to Ponyville and occasionally mess around with somepony in the form of a harmless prank or two.

As she blazed through the skies trying to make the best of waking up early, she happened to notice somepony lying in a field near the Everfree forest. Who the hay is that? I’ve never seen that pony before. She thought.

Her curiosity got the better of her and she dove down to get a better look at the newcomer. He was a colt with a sky blue coat with a white underbelly. His mane was as black as night, and she could barely contain herself when she noticed his wings! A pegasus! Lying in the middle of a field. Why not lounge on a cloud? She thought. Cautiously, she inched closer.

“Hey there, you new to Ponyville?” she asked.

A few moments of silenced passed, then finally the colt turned his head to the cyan mare. He looked her over quick and finally said “Hey...”

“Are you alright?” she asked. The breeze picked up and tousled her rainbow mane. Something about this pegasus seemed to draw her in, as if he were somehow familiar…

“Yeah, I just like to watch the sun rise from the ground sometimes; it’s a change from seeing it rise from the sky. It’s a little enchanting actually. Why do you ask?” he inquired.

“I just never saw you before. Are you new to Ponyville?”

He paused for a moment, shifting uneasily.

“You could say that. Does it matter? I’m not I trespassing am I?” he started, a little annoyed.

“No, I just was trying to be nice. What’s your deal?” she retorted, her words laced with the frustration from earlier rising again. He’s kind of a jerk…

“Look, I just want to be alone, ‘kay? I don’t need a nagging mare pestering me.”

“What was that!? Do you even know who I am!” she roared

“Should I?” he mused.

“You outta! I’m Rainbow Dash! The coolest flyer in all of Equestria! And I’m a freakin` hero!”

As she stared him down ready with another retort should he lash out at her with his words again. But instead of the reaction she expected, he did the opposite and just sighed as he went back to his star gazing.

“What? Got nothing to say now? Where’s that attitude I just saw punk!”

Under most circumstances she would normally just leave, but something strange kept her from leaving and it really began to irk her. As she started to force herself away, he spoke up.

“You still here Dash? Tell you what, why don’t you just watch the sunrise with me? It’s about to start.”

Is he messing with me? This guy’s really starting to confuse the crap outta me! Wait a second… She began to think really hard, and realized that he was doing the same exact sort of thing that she’d do if something was bothering her. She couldn’t count the times she told her friends to let her alone, even though she truly, deep down wanted somepony with her to talk to.

“Uh…sure…I guess…” she said, and trotted over next to the cocky pegasus and plopped down beside him. Why the hay am I doing this? And why do I feel like I know him? She situated herself, the sun began to rise, and since she had gotten up early to clear the skies the spectacle was just as enchanting as the sky blue colt had said. Slowly it rose up from the tree line and bathed the Everfree Forest and Ponyville in a golden light that seemed to bleed across the horizon. It took her breath away.

“What’d I tell ya? Beautiful, isn’t it?” He asked; his tone vastly calmer than earlier.

"Uh, yeah. Pretty cool, I guess.” she said, barely able to contain her awe form the radiant sunrise bathing the morning in bright amber, as she was too focused on clearing clouds to ever bother looking at the dawn of day. She turned to him, “So what’s up, you tell me to scram, then invite me to watch the sunrise with you? What’re you playing at?” she asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

“I’ve just been having a bad run of luck as of late: personal stuff.” He lamented.

“Okay, so we both got off on the wrong hoof. Let’s try this again. I’m Rainbow Dash, who are you?”

Gingerly he humored the cyan mare. “I’m Summerbug. I guess…” he paused, apparently rethinking whatever it was he was about to say.”…Nice to make your acquaintance. Sorry about earlier. One tends to get testy when nothing seems to go right.” He added ruefully.

“Yeah, I know how that goes. You go ahead and plan an awesome day and by some random stroke of fate, I all gets changed and messed up! I guess I owe you an apology too… I’ve just been so frustrated!”

His curiosity peaked; Summerbug turned his head to look at Rainbow Dash.

“Wanna talk about it?” he asked.

“Not really.” She growled.

“It might make you feel better.” Summerbug responded

“And why should I share something personal like that with you? No offense, but we just meet. I’m sure deep down you’re a nice guy, but seriously, it’s kinda creepy.”

After a long pause he gazed at her with a half-lidded stare, and blinked once.

“That’s not helping your case.” Rainbow dash pointed out, mimicking his stare. Summerbug blinked and smacked his lips before replying, “I represent that remark.”

“Ya-wait, what?” Rainbow Dash sputtered as she caught his odd response, “Don’t you mean ‘resent’?”

“Nope.” Soon a mischievous smirk began to spread across his face.

“You’re messing with me, right?” she deadpanned.

“Yep.”

Rainbow Dash sighed, “You…are, really weird. But I guess talking about it could help. Now, I don’t know why I’m telling you this, but my pal, Twilight…ahem, excuse me…Princess Twilight, has been so busy with her new job that she rarely has any time for her best friends! It’s almost like she’s totally blowing me off! Well, me and the others…” she corrected. Whoa, too much information Dash! He’s a random guy, why the hay would he give two bits?

“Sorry to hear that, I kind of know how you feel though. Years ago I struggled to get a very lovely, and might I add hot, mare to get to notice me. I would do all kinds of crazy and outlandish things to get her attention. Now I know it isn’t quite the same thing, but it’s the same general principle if you ask me. But on the flip-side of the bit, don’t you think you’re being a little bit petty? I mean, If she’s a princess, you should expect her to be busy with all kinds of royal crap. Not that’s it’s really all that fair.”

“I-I guess you’re right.” She conceded.

“So, if I may ask, don’t you have any other pegasi friends?”

“I do, but, you see, Twilight is more daring than Fluttershy. You see, when Twilight got her wings-”

“Wait? What do you mean ‘got her wings’? That just sounds weird.” The colt asked.

“Oh! Sorry. You see, Twilight Sparkle just became an alicorn recently and I wanna help her get used to her new wings. And while I’m at it, get a new flying buddy. Win-win situation if you ask me, but like I said, stupid stuff just keeps happening out of nowhere and we never get a chance. And my oldest buddy Fluttershy is waaay too much of a scaredy pony to go any higher than a rooftop! As much as I love my friends, it really gets boring being the only extreme flyer in Ponyville. I need a challenge! I need excitement! I need…” she trailed off, suddenly feeling a sense of loneliness. I really am the only real extreme flyer in town…

“Hey Dash, you home?” Summerbug asked, snapping Rainbow Dash out of her stupor as he waved a hoof in front of her face.

“Oh, sorry about that, my mind wandered elsewhere for a moment,” She bluffed, “Nothing to worry about though!” She quickly added with a sigh. She then felt a hoof on her shoulder. She looked over to see her new acquaintance trying to comfort her.

“How about this Rainbow, until your buddy can get some free time, would you like to be my flying buddy? I don’t have any friends and well, let’s face it, I’m a pegasus as well. And I’m sure I can give you a good workout! I may not be the best flyer in all of Equestria, but I have a fair bit of stamina. And look, I know we just met, but…I guess what I’m trying to say is…do you wanna hang out?” he asked. She didn’t know what to say, it was certainly an odd change of events. One she started to feel she could get used to. But that name, Summerbug, where have I heard it before…?

“Uh, sure. How about we get some grub first though? I know this great place that makes awesome daisy and daffodil sandwiches. Sound good?”

“Sounds like a plan.” He agreed, and then added with a smug grin, “Race ya to town?”

“Oh yeah! It is on!” Rainbow agreed with her usual cocky grin. And the two raced off toward town, blowing away a patch of dandelion seeds in their wake.

***

“What’s the matter slacker? Getting tired out so soon?” Rainbow Dash called out to Summerbug over the roar of the wind in her ears.

“Not even close! I’m just warming up!” The sky blue colt called back, determination burning in hazel and amber eyes.

Dipping and diving, the two pegasus ponies raced toward Ponyville. Whenever Summerbug weaved, Rainbow Dash bobbed. The feeling was electric, this high speed race just what the doctor ordered, and Bug was right, he was giving Dash a good workout, and she loved every second of it! Not bad, but let’s see if you can keep up! Time for to kick it up a notch! And with that Rainbow Dash cranked up the speed, but Summerbug wouldn’t be so easily intimidated and pushed harder ever still.

Onward the two raced, neck and neck until finally Ponyville came into view. They both took a brief second to give each other a glance that meant one thing: Now or never!

Unaware of the two pegasai racing toward them, Applejack and Fluttershy were on their way to Ponyville as well.

“Thanks’ a bunch fer helping me git some of these here apples ta town Fluttershy, but I hope ya know it wasn’t necessary.” The hearty earth pony stated. Normally she’d be too stubborn to accept help, but she was running late today and needed to set up shop yet. It was a blessing that she ran into Fluttershy on the way to Ponyville.

“Oh, it was no trouble at all Applejack. I was on my way to meet Rarity anyway for our usual spa day you know.” Fluttershy softly answered with a smile.

“Well, that’s mighty kind’a ya.” Applejack chuckled. “Say, have one o’ mah fritters! Mah treat!” and gave Fluttershy one of the delectable pastries. It was then that the two ponies were hit by powerful gust of wind that sent the two flying into town along with the other two racers. Fluttershy muttered a chain of unintelligible squeaks as she tumbled into town and landed on Applejack.

“Oooh yeah! What now Summerbug? I got you beat!” Rainbow Dash gloated as she came screeching to a halt in the town square, Summerbug close behind her.

“Wow! Best race I had in years! But next time I won’t make it so easy Rainbow!” he declared, panting and out of breath.

“Anytime, anywhere! Now how about…oh hey guys” Rainbow Dash said, just now noticing her two friends lying dazed in the middle of the street. “Sorry guys, let me help you up.” She offered.

“Eh, thanks Rainbow.” Applejack slurred, finally shaking her head to put her brain right as Rainbow Dash went over to help her up. Summerbug decided to help too and swooped over to help Fluttershy up. Before she realized who exactly was helping her up, she was on her hooves again.

“Sorry about that…eh,hehe…I guess Rainbow and I got carried away in the heat of the moment. Are you o-”

As he looked into those charming azure eyes of the canary pegasus, time just seemed to have ceased. The air was still, and all that he could see was the most adorable and enchanting creature he had ever laid eyes upon. His heart skipped a beat as he was only able to stop and stare. Little did he know that he was making the timid mare very uneasy. She looked back at him and squeaked something that sounded like ‘I’m sorry.’

Finally he felt a hoof clop the back of his head, hard. “What do you think you are doing you ruffian!” exclaimed a mare’s voice from behind.

“Ouch! Watch it lady! I was just helping the canary up.” He retorted, looking behind him to see who the hay clobbered him, he was amazed to see a well groomed and refined white unicorn with a purple mane and tail. Wow, she’s kind of hot! For a unicorn that is.

“Hey, calm down Rare. It was an accident. He was just being a gentlecolt.” Rainbow stated.

“Please, he was glaring daggers at our poor little Fluttershy. Can’t you see how traumatized she is?” The white mare with a luxuriously styled, purple mane remarked. Behind her the cute yellow mare crouched in a defensive position.

“I was not ‘glaring daggers’! I was just stunned was all. I’ve never encountered such a delicate looking mare before.” Summerbug added bashfully.

“Oh, silly colt, flattery shall get you nowhere, but I suppose my charm is a bit much this early in the morning.” The white unicorn beamed.

“Uh, Rare, Ah think he was talking `bout Fluttershy.” Applejack interjected.

“Oh right! Of course…silly me…” Rarity, clearly embarrassed, acknowledged. “Still, you should have been more careful! Had you been watching where you were going this could have been avoided. Shame on you!” she lectured, then noted the sky blue pegasus in full.

“Wait a moment! Are you by chance the cloud-sculptor Summerbug my dear?’ she inquired.

“Yes’m, I’m actually her to meet a miss Rarity Belle? She had requested my skill for a fashion show of sorts. I just happened to meet an old acquaintance on my way here.” He replied

“Marvelous! How rude of me darling. I am Miss Rarity Belle, but feel free to simply call me Rarity. You’re a day early dear. Oh but no matter, this will give us more time to become acquainted, you and I. I assume you brought your portfolio?”

“Yes, actually. I had it mailed to the motel I’ll be staying at the following week. It should be there by tomorrow morning.” He replied

“Wonderful! Anyway, today is Fluttershy and I’s spa day. You said you meet an old acquaintance?”

“It’s an honor Miss Rarity. And yes, however... she seems to have... forgotten we have ever meet..." Summerbug said in a tone comparable to Fluttershy's. Did she say Fluttershy? He pondered as he scanned over the yellow pegasus again.

“Beg your pardon, what was that last bit?”

“Nothing miss Rarity! Just mumbling a bit. No worries!” Summerbug nervously added before Rainbow Dash suddenly spoke up.

“Well how were we supposed to know everypony was gonna be an early bird today? The streets are usually pretty dead at this hour, except for AJ’s apple and apple pastry stand in the market place. Even Twilight is sleeping in! The one time I get up early too…” Rainbow Dash grumbled.

“Why are you up so darn early anyways Rainbow? Normally you’d still be sleepin till `bout noon.” Applejack questioned.

“That is quite an astute question.” Rarity stated as she looked to Rainbow Dash and then to the cloud sculptor next to her.

“Oh my! Has our little Dashie been on the prowl with her, ahem, feminine charms?” Rarity teased.

“Wait, what? No! No, no and no! It’s not like that!” a perplexed Rainbow Dash stammered.

“Oh don’t be so modest, I’ve never seen you spending time with any other pegasus pony besides Fluttershy before, and a colt no less!” Rarity cooed devilishly.

“H-Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?” Rainbow Dash was starting to get annoyed.

Finally Summerbug stepped in, seeing where this was going.

“We just…met…again…today at the meadow just outside of the Everfree Forest.” Fluttershy and Rarity gasped, “I invited her to watch the sun rise with me and we just talked a bit. Then I challenged her to a race and now here we are. We’re actually getting ready for breakfast and Rainbow Dash here said she knew of a good place to eat. It’s not what you’re implying” He stated as Rarity began to snicker and Applejack started guffawing, while Fluttershy smiled fondly at Rainbow Dash.

“I don’t know why you guys are laughing. I think it’s wonderful that Rainbow found her special somepony.” Fluttershy stated softly.

This began a new round of laughter as Rarity soon went from snickering to chortling and Applejack began to cry. This here is to darn rich! Applejack thought. Then, realization hammered into Rainbow Dash like a ton of bricks she finally caught on to the seemingly unprovoked laughter. Her normally cyan face was soon as scarlet as one of Aj’s apples.

“Ah- I…I-it’s not what you think! We were just hanging out!” Rainbow Dash blundered. The laughter did not cease, and like bees to honey, the laughter drew out a bouncing pink pony.

“Ooh! Ooh! Hi guys! What’s going on here? Did I miss something? Hey Dashie! Who’s your buddy? Does he like cake? I just made a tasty cake and its scrum-didilly-licious! That reminds me of a song! I’m not entirely sure how it goes again but it ends in –licious! Oh! Oh! Hey we totally need to throw a party for Skyguy! Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie by the way! What’s your name?” The bouncing pink pony fired off in rapid succession.

“Uhh…Hi Pinkie Pie, I’m Summerbug! Nice to meet you, I guess…” He leaned over to Rainbow Dash and whispered in her ear. “Skyguy? Are these the friends you mentioned?” he asked. When he did this it drew out some mock sounds of awe; however Rainbow Dash began to hyperventilate.

“You ok Dashie? You don’t look so good do you need me to get Nurse Redheart?” asked Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes and began to control her breathing and even went as far as to do that thing Twilight was doing during the time they had to cater to the Equestria Games Inspector.

“No. I’m good.” She squeaked. “This. Is. Not. A. Date.” She insisted.

‘Woo doggie! Ah hadn’t laughed so hard since Big Mac got caught lovin’ on an babyin’ that old doll o’ Twilight’s! Hoo-boy! It took ya long enough ta catch on Rainbow.” AJ breathed, wiping away the few teardrops the remained in her fur.

“My word, that was brisk!” Rarity said, composing herself. “Now then, shall we start over darling? Why in Equestria were you up so early? If not for this colt of yours than who?” she snickered briefly.

“Well, as I was saying before the lot of ya started assuming weird things, I originally was up so Twilight and I could get in some fly-time. But the egghead just wanted to sleep saying she was ‘reading’ about how to fly! You don’t just read something and know how, you learn from experience! So I just let alone at home to catch some Z’s and found Summerbug here randomly lounging in a meadow outside the Everfree! Just `cause we’re hanging out today doesn’t mean we’re an item or anything. Even though we did watch the sun rise…” the last part was mumble.

“I told her I was new here and that I didn’t know anypony, or rather thought I didn’t, so she kindly offered me her friendship. To be honest I really wasn’t expecting such an interesting bunch of pony folk, but that’s a good thing!” he hastily added.

“We gotta throw you a party now! Ohmygosh! Ohmygosh! I got so much planning to do now! I’m so excited!” and with that the Pink pony bounced off to begin her preparations.

“Well it’s mighty fine to meet `cha Summerbug. Guess ah’ll be seein ya’ll later fer the welcomin` party. Later ya’ll!”

“Come along now Fluttershy, let’s get you to that spa, Celestia knows you need it now after falling into the street. You two would do well to remember to be more considerate of those around you. Oh, and Summerbug, just call me Rarity, drop the miss please. We can go over our own preparations later I suppose. Ta-Ta!”

“Um…Bye…See you later, I guess…if that’s ok…” Fluttershy murmured.

“So…still hungry Dash?” Summerbug asked bashfully.

“I think I lost my appetite…” Rainbow Dash replied as she herself blushed.

Author's Note:

Finally! It's been revised and edited! Big thanks to Caelus Streak for his help as well as TheAccidentalBrony! :twilightsmile: