• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 2,065 Views, 48 Comments

Behind a Sunny Face - Tayman



How does one deal with infinite, inevitable loss?

  • ...
3
 48
 2,065

Chapter 3

It was a sound one would not expect in the royal bedroom of a Sun Goddess: snoring. As the sun peered over the horizon, its light struck crept further and further up the polished floor, glistening off golden silk sheets. She practically melted into the mattress as she shifted about a little, before her snoring ceased and she pulled herself out of bed, yawning and stretching out her wings, scattering loose feathers all around.

These had better stop molting so much soon, she thought as she stepped over towards the arched window and peered out over the dully lit city of Canterlot. Bright pastel shaded houses stretched out on either side of the castle. Construction ponies were trotting everywhere, levitating all sorts of materials. Muffled hammer whacks and buzzing saws reached Celestia's ears as the laborers went to work on expanding the young central district. She beamed out proudly over her royal city, before turning her gaze towards the stationary sun. Might as well get this over with. She bowed her horn towards the horizon and closed her eyes, channeling her energy forward. The room flickered with light as Celestia strained, thick beads of sweat running down her forehead, before the golden glow exploded from her horn, illuminating every nook of the town, the ponies below shielding their eyes from the burst of illumination as the sun was thrust high into the sky, its light replacing her own over the city. She finally dropped her head and panted heavily for a few moments, barely noticing the cheers that rang out in the streets.

It's so tiring...but necessary.

Suddenly, the doors to her room swung open and in trotted a unicorn maid with a shimmering silver mane. "Good morning, Princess! Thank you so much for gracing us with your light yet again. Might I ask what you would like for breakfast?" She asked, before bowing down in front of Celestia.

"Silver, I've told you before." Celestia turned and snorted. "Please wait a little longer after the sun rises before you rush in here. It's a very tiring task, and I like to take a few minutes to recover before starting the day."

Silver's cheeks went beet red, and she cowered back a few steps, whinnying softly. "Oh...I'm so sorry, your majesty. A thousand apologies. It won't happen again."

The Sun Princess's glance of annoyance melted into a warm smile. "It is quite alright. I'm still a little new at this. I'm not so used to having favors showered upon me," she chuckled. "But since you are so polite to offer, I will just have some honey toast and milk, if you'll be so kind."

"Of course! I will have that sent up as soon as I can." Silver's face lit up, before she turned and strolled out of the room, the door closing behind her.

Celestia turned to face her personal palace suite. That canopy bed...it must cost a whole year's salary worth of bits. Besides the golden silk sheets, the mattress and pillows were made of the softest gryphon downy feathers, whiter than the purest clouds; the canopy was made from the finest purple velvet, which shimmered in the sunlight.

They insisted I should have it. She chuckled. This room...it's not anything like what the designers initially had in mind. They wanted a a full walk in closet with the most beautiful dresses in the land...my own personal spa that I could use every morning...everything to be made out of gold...and of course, for this room to be larger than any house in Canterlot. As it stood now, there was only the bed, a small wooden desk, and a large bookshelf, all lined up against one wall perpendicular to the entrance. They said this could always be furnished later at a moment's notice.

"But I don't really need much..." she muttered.

"Princess! Your food is ready!" In trotted Silver, wheeling a cart with a golden tray on top, topped with four slices of golden toast dripping with honey, along with a tall, frothy glass of milk. "Are you sure you don't need more than this? We have a full kitchen stocked with any delicacy you can think of-"

"Silver, I am quite fine. This breakfast looks lovely," the alicorn said abruptly. Her horn glowed as she lifted a few gold coins out of a pouch next to her bed. "Please, take these for your service."

The maid took a step back, mouth agape as she shook her head. "Princess, I can't accept this!"

"Take it," Celestia said firmly, before smiling down at the mare. "And please, just call me Celestia."

"Celestia..." she spoke slowly, her horn taking control of the bits. "Thank you so much for this. You are too kind."

"It is the least I can do. In the meantime, I am headed into Canterlot after I eat. Just keep the castle running smoothly while I am gone." The Princess nodded, beckoning Silver out of the room.

They wanted ten servants, too. At my beck and call at any moment in the day.She thought, before lifting a whole slice of honey toast into her mouth, the delectable creation melting in her mouth and tingling over her tastebuds. She washed the sweet slice down with a large gulp of icy, smooth milk. It only took her five minutes to eat before she wheeled the cart next to her door for Silver to pick up next time she made her rounds.

Still, it's not like I could say no to everything they offered. She smiled, before stepping out of her suite, walking down the stairs over a regal red carpet, passing by a throne made of solid gold. Celestia gazed in awe around the room; she hadn't gotten used to its beauty quite yet. Light shone in through stained glass windows as well as a skylight high above, reflecting off the pure white limestone floor, causing the entire throne room to sparkle.

It's so gorgeous...and it's mine. She beamed, strolling forward towards the two large double doors at the entrance where two pegasi guards were standing. "I am going into town to survey the construction being done in the central district. Take note of any visitors," she instructed, nodding as the two guards bowed their heads in compliance, before stepping out into Canterlot.

"City" was a premature term at the moment. For now, there were only two roads, intersecting in front of the castle. To the left and right were the residential areas, with the retail district straight ahead. Botiques, cafes, dress stores...all types of businesses were being planned. Celestia had objected that it was hasty to plan so many stores this early, but the city planners had insisted that every pony in Equestria would want to move to the City of the Sun. She smiled widely, strolling ahead down the golden path, the sun shining down upon her pastel mane as it billowed out behind her. Ponies gasped and bowed as Celestia passed them by, and she gave them a warm smile and a few kind words in response. The buzzing and hammering rang louder and louder as she approached the developing shops in the retail area. Unicorn mares and stallions trotted every which way, levitating every type of construction material.

"Steel Hooves, you're not hitting those nails in all the way! And make sure you-" A fore-stallion barked, before he turned and gasped at the sight of the Princess. He dropped a box of bolts and immediately dipped his head. "Oh, good morning Your Highness! I do hope the building is going along according to your liking."

"It's looking wonderful. I cannot wait to delight in the offerings this street will have to offer in the near future, and just outside my castle no less!" Celestia exclaimed, peering out over the construction, which had come to a standstill, the workers also bowing their heads. "Please, do not let my presence hinder building. I'm just here to see how things are coming along, nothing more!" The buzzing resumed. "Might there be anything I can assist with?" she asked the brown stallion.

"Princess, I'm sure you are far too busy to bother with our affairs." He replied.

"Not at all! My day is quite open. Plus, I would like to have a hoof in the construction of this beautiful city. It wouldn't be very helpful if I simply watched from my window now, would it?"

"Of course, mi'lady." He nodded. Well, if you insist, you can direct supplies to the construction crews that need them. That way we can focus more on building rather than hauling stuff everywhere."

"Sounds simple enough!" Celestia stepped over to where the construction supplies were stacked; bolts, nails, paint, wooden boards...

"Your highness!" A pegasus guard soared from behind and landed beside Celestia. "There's an urgent message for you from the Canterlot scout team! They said-"

Celestia's smile vanished, replaced by an irritable scowl. "Fighting has broken out between two colonies again. Very well, I will see General Skye." She let out an exasperated sigh. "I'm very sorry, ponies. I must attend to royal business. But I shall return when I have a free moment." She turned and spread her snowy wings, flapping up a few feet before soaring down the street, a heavy wind blasting behind her that blew building materials all over the street. Oops. As she approached the castle, the throne doors opened and she zoomed in, dropping to the ground in front of the throne with so much force that the whole room shook, knocking General Skye off his hooves as he waited. He stumbled to his hooves, gulping as Celestia towered over him, her mouth set in a hard line of annoyance.

"P-please forgive me Princess, but my scout team just returned. They informed me that troops are gathering between Marebury and Neigh Orleans!" he stuttered.

A heavy, gravelly groan escape from Celestia's throat. Equestria was still in its infancy, and colonies were popping up everywhere. Skirmishes often burst out between two settlements at a moments notice over patches of fertile land. They were usually nothing major, and Celestia had diffused many hostilities simply by sending a handful of ambassadors to help the two sides negotiate. But Marebury and Neigh Orleans were both fighting for control of the wetlands that lined the Ottertail River. Its soil was not only the richest in the land, but its position next to the river meant that crops could be directly loaded onto boats for trade, which meant almost no land transportation costs.

"I have been hearing these reports for the last three months. I have constantly sent delegates to diffuse the fighting. Marebury and Neigh Orleans both know they are being sent under my command. Do they not listen to my authority?" Celestia shouted, stomping her front hoof down so hard the floor cracked beneath, although it was quickly restored with a brief glow from her horn. Skye cowered and took a step backwards.

"I'm so sorry to disturb your day with this news," Skye stammered, "but I don't think delegates will work this time. Hundreds of troops are gathering between the cities, more than ever before. My flight team had to escape in case arrows started flying!"

Celestia let out a hopeless sigh. "I suppose there's no choice then. I'll go there and stop things myself. They clearly won't listen to reason. I will not send more ambassadors and risk their safety."

"Princess...please forgive me, but is it such a good idea to fly down into a battlefield on your own?"

"I raise the sun each morning. I think I can handle it." Celestia said flatly. "Report to my sister. Tell her where I have gone and to keep the city running smoothly." She turned and galloped out of the castle, before leaping into the air, wings unfurling behind her as she soared into the sky, the houses and trees quickly disappearing behind her as every pony below gazed up in awe. She flew with such velocity that she felt the cold sting of the wind tug against her coat and mane; each powerful beat accelerated her faster and faster. It was a three hours carriage ride down from Canterlot to Marebury, but just ten minutes into her trip two large mosaic masses of color entered her vision. Ponies, hundreds of them gathered outside the two cities just north of the wetlands. Celestia sensed so much magic in the air she thought her horn would explode. Above the troops hovered pegasi archers, flying around like a swarm of bees, trying to gain an altitude advantage over the other side.

So pointless. I should have stopped this the first time I heard about it. Celestia fully extended her legs, diving down, a piercing light shining down from her horn that lit up the already sunny sky. The roar of hundreds of voices suddenly swelled as the two multi-colored masses of troops began to charge towards one another...and just as quickly, they froze, the air becoming deafeningly silent as they saw the Sun Goddess descending upon them. The pegasi dropped to the ground, joining the masses as they all bowed down before her. Not a respectful head bow; as they came into sight, Celestia saw their whole bodies lying on the ground, burying their heads between their forelegs, unicorn horns dipped so low they dug into the dirt. She could practically taste the fear in the air. For the first time, she actually felt the power of being a ruler tingle under her coat.

Celestia slammed into the ground between the two sides with such force that a mini crater formed beneath her. She took a couple steps forward, glaring at the ponies on either side of her, who simply cowered back, their entire bodies quivering as they stared at the ground SUBJECTS. AS THE SUPREME RULER OF EQUESTRIA, I COMMAND YOU CEASE THIS FIGHTING AT ONCE. I REFUSE TO TOLERATE THIS PETTY SQUABBLE ANY LONGER. Magical and royal power surged through her body as she spoke in the Royal Canterlot Voice. The wind howled, carrying with it bows and swords that the ponies had dropped upon Celestia's arrival. Dust kicked about as an intense heat began to radiate from Celestia's body, the temperature soaring above a hundred degrees. The troops began sweating intensely in their armor, but the Sun Queen paid no attention to this heat surge.

Not just a faceless princess in the forest anymore, am I?

Her body shook with force, eyes glowing a golden yellow as she scowled over the quivering troops. I HAVE GIVEN YOU PLENTY OF CHANCES TO SETTLE YOUR DIFFERENCES. YOU REFUSED TO LISTEN TO THE AMBASSADORS I SENT UNDER MY ROYAL AUTHORITY. YOU LEFT ME NO CHOICE BUT TO COME AND CEASE THIS MYSELF! The temperature continued to rise as Celestia's irritation manifested into rage around her. In her frustration, she drove her front left hoof into the ground.

The stifling heat exploded around them, erupting from Celestia's glowing horn. A golden light burst outwards from her body, along with a shockwave that sent all but the most distant soldiers soaring high through the air, hundreds of bodies slamming into the ground a hundred feet away. A steamy hisssssssss seered around them as the nearby marshlands hit boiling temperature for an instant. The heat was so intense it actually singed the ponies' manes and feathers, flooding the air with a thick, heavy stench. The grass was scorched into a black carbon mess, which the wind kicked into the air. What's going on? Celestia panicked, feeling her body searing with magic, radiating out of every pore as the temperature continued to climb Stop it, Celestia...STOP IT! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL THEM!

The panic cut through the rage emanating from her form, and the shock wave stopped. Her body tingled all over as she felt the temperature instantly drop to normal.

Oh no...a cold feeling of dread filled filled her body, like thousands of ice cold needles pressing up under her skin. No longer were her subjects in organized rows. They had been tossed every which away like ragdolls, bodies bruised and broken, piled upon one another. The acrid burning stench clung inside her nostrils, and the ground was completely scorched. Ash and dust kicked through the air in thick, black lines.

What have I done? How did this happen? How could I let so much magic escape like that? Her horn glowed with a blue light, shining brightly over the scattered and piled bodies as she channeled all her magic into a powerful healing spell. She sighed in relief as she saw bruises gradually fade away and singed manes and coats grow back to their original colors. Gently, she managed to lift up every body and carefully set them down so they weren't all stacked on top of one another The ponies slowly stood up one by one, examining their bodies, a few gasping when they realized they were almost fully healed, feeling only dull aches and pains.

However, not all of them stood up. Celestia's heart sank like a stone as she flapped her wings and hovered upwards, surveying the scene below. The live ponies were healed and appeared normal; the dead ones stuck out like a sore thumb. They were the ones that were closest to Celestia's outburst. Their bodies lie limp and lifeless, scorched black and purple. She did a quick count: Fifty. At least. Oh no. No. Please, no.

She looked over those who remained standing. Her subjects were dead silent, staring up at Celestia with wide terror filled eyes, their bodies shivering . Fear. It was as thick as the ash that blew in the wind, and it bore into Celestia's soul, an empty hollow feeling swelling in her chest. She dropped to the ground, frozen. She looked all around the battlefield, desperately hoping to see more ponies stand up. But everything was still.

I did this.

I killed them.

Just because I couldn't handle my annoyance with them.

Sobs rang in her ears as the survivors broke their gaze from Celestia and began mourning their dead, burying their heads into the lifeless flanks and weeping. Celestia could only stand there.

"I...I'M SO SORRY!" She cried out, before galloping away, pounding her hooves into the ground with as much force as she could muster, before soaring high into the air, rapidly beating her wings. Higher and higher she climbed, bursting through the clouds, quickly settling onto a puffy cumulus, burying her head into it like a pillow as she began to sob, her face burning and swollen as heavy tears rolled down her face.