• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,836 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 94 - Reprove *

Checking herself in the mirror, Trixie smiled slyly as she confirmed her large hat covered up the aura of her horn perfectly. "Bye, Mom!" Trixie called over her shoulder while she dashed out the door, excited for another day of school after her grueling weekend. She had not been this eager since her first day, and this time nothing was going to ruin it.

On the corner of the street, her best friend and number one fan, Flitter Bouquet, was already waiting for her. She looked uncomfortably skittish of the ponies passing her by, as though she wanted nothing more than to be invisible, but she was there as promised. A look of relief washed over her face when she caught sight of Trixie, and waved at her. “Hey, Trixie.” She smiled, gaining the look of excitement she reserved just for her. Flitter’s fiery eyes roamed for a moment before she raised a brow. “Uhm, did you forget your books?”

Trixie had been prepared to patiently wait for Flitter to notice the distinct lack, but she’d clearly underestimated her attention to detail. Grinning, she struck a magnificent pose with her hoof pointed up. “Trixie is traveling light today.”

“Oh, that’s great. I-I mean I like it, but, uh, I dunno if the teacher will...” Trailing off, Flitter’s eyes widened once she caught sight of the books floating above them in the air. “W-what, but how? You could barely move my notebook last time!”

It was true, when Trixie first stole the spell off Starlight and Sunny Days, she had been worse than a mere amateur at it. Of course, that was entirely to blame on those foals using such a terrible version of the spell. It had taken Trixie the better part of a day to figure out that half the things they did to make it work were useless.

Reveling in the sheer awe on Flitter’s face, Trixie lifted her hat to show her glowing horn. “Isn’t it obvious? It is because Trixie is Great and Powerful, right?” To accentuate her point, she enveloped her aura around Flitter’s book belt, pulling it up into the air as well. It was a bit tougher to hold all of it in the air, but Trixie managed. She’d practiced her flank off the past weekend, and it paid off spectacularly as Flitter actually cheered in broad daylight, drawing the eyes of everypony on the street to her.

“That’s amazing, Trixie! I can’t believe you actually learned their spell just like that! I—o-oh!” Suddenly aware of all the ponies watching her, Flitter quickly wilted to a mumbling mess. “S-sorry, I, uh, too loud. Sorry.”

Trixie suppressed a sigh while she watched, but she had to admit Flitter had done much better than she expected. Fortunately, she knew exactly how to come to Flitter’s rescue. Trixie quickly rearied up on her back legs and spread her forelegs out in a grand gesture. “Hah, mere foal’s play for The Great and Powerful Trixie! Behold!” She closed her eyes and focused on setting of the sparks spell to get all eyes where they belonged, on her.

It was oddly quiet. Trixie heard none of the expected oh’s and ah’s. Opening her eyes, Trixie saw some ponies looking at her with confusion while others walked away. It quickly became clear that the sparks that should have been in the air were not there. What the hay!?

Pouring more magic into her sparks spell, Trixie was absolutely sure she was setting off a fireworks show in the middle of the day. She could feel it. Why aren’t they showing up!? The growled and tried even harder. All around her, her audience was quickly losing interest in the two silly fillies and went about their usual business. Only Flitter was still staring at Trixie uncertainly, trying to make sense of what she was seeing. “U-uhm… N-nice… pose? It’s very commanding.”

Sweat ran down her face as Trixie tried even harder, still with no result. It was maddening. What’s wrong? Why can’t Trixie do this!?

Flitter narrowed her eyes as she peered just slightly above Trixie. “Trixie? Is your hat supposed to be sparking a little? I can’t see it too well.”

“Trixie’s hat!” In one fluid motion, Trixie struck her forehead with her hoof for her idiocy, then swept it up along to pull her hat back revealing her horn just as it emitted a last spark. At least this one made it to the air uninhibited, but it was nowhere near the show she had actually intended to do. “Right! Problem solved! Ahem, round two!” She concentrated on the spell again, but all she heard were a number of dull thuds all around her. The books were laying in the street, defying her obvious talent. “Oh come on!”

A few quick attempts to pick the books back up only resulted in an orchid flicker around them before it died off again. No matter how many times she tried, she couldn’t do it. Trixie’s heart pounded in her chest with fright, she could barely see the defiant books anymore as the world became blurry with tears. “F-Flitter,” she choked out, falling to her knees. “T-Trixie’s magic is broken!”

It wasn’t fair. She’d finally figured out how to use real magic and now she’d lost it. She’d be a laughing stock. The school would expel her. Her mom would have to move to some earth pony town to fit in. She’d never see Flitter again.

Eyes wide as though she was witnessing something unreal, Flitter just stared at the trembling Trixie. “B-broken?” She looked at Trixie, then down at the flickering books. “Oh!” Wrapping her hooves around Trixie, she hugged her tightly. “It’s normal, Trixie. I swear!”

Trixie was already halfway through imagining how she might have to pretend her horn was just a really nasty bump on the head. Flitters warmth brought her back to the present though, calming her down a little. “N-normal? But it’s broken.”

“I’m sorry. I forgot you don’t know much about magic...” Flitter shook her head with a pained look on her face. “You’re just tired, okay? It happens if you use magic too much.”

“…Trixie’s just tired? But Trixie’s been doing it all weekend.” Despite her minor protest, Trixie felt a little better already. If this wasn’t freaking Flitter out, that had to mean she really was already familiar with it. “Trixie knew that,” she muttered.

All weekend? My mom can’t even use magic that much.” She smiled while helping Trixie back on her hooves. “Geez, you can’t even exhaust yourself without doing something amazing. It’s not fair for the rest of us you know.”

Shooting Flitter a rapidly improving smile, Trixie quickly wiped her tears off on her fetlocks. “Gah! My ego. Trixie’s only weakness, how did you know?” She recoiled theatrically. Puffing her chest in pride, Trixie gave her spell another try. She just barely managed to stack the books before it ran out. “Trixie supposes that will have to be it for the morning show.”

Watching Trixie stack the books, Flitter grabbed her book belt. “I’m a little jealous now. It took me an hour before I could make a spark after I ran out the first time, you know.” Flitter chimed in. “My mom made me do it so I would know what it felt like. I guess she was right to tell me first, or I guess I’d have been scared too.”

“T-Trixie was not scared! She was just surprised, that was all…” She trailed off and looked away. “Still, uh, thanks, Flitter.”

The clear, unmistakable chiming of the school bell broke up the conversation. Both fillies looked towards the source of the sound, then to locked eyes before shouting in unison, “we’re late!”


Detention.

Trixie couldn’t believe it. She’d never gotten detention before! Okay well there was that one time, but smoke bombs can be volatile; It could have happened to anypony! Either way, she was stuck after school, at school, which considering how excited she had been to get to school was surprisingly awful.

With a grumble, she swept a small pile of dirt and trash through the hallway. The broom they’d given her to use had to be old enough to have swept up what was left of Nightmare Moon after the battle a thousand years ago. A real piece of history. Maybe it had magic powers of its own after being around that long?

Holding it out in front of her, Trixie stared at the old rickety broom for a moment. “Yeah, Trixie doesn’t think so.”

“Talking to yourself already, Trickery? You look ridiculous.”

She’d recognize that grating voice anywhere. “Starlight, if Trixie wanted to hear your opinion she’d have dragged her hoof down a chalkboard.”

“Awh, don’t be like that. Starlight even brought you a present. Look,” Starlight said in a mocking tone as she mimicked Trixie’s speech. With an impish Grin, She levitated a dustbin into view. “You looked so bored that Starlight figured you must not have enough to do, so here you go!” Before Trixie could stop her, Starlight scattered the contents all over the freshly swept floor.

“Hey! Trixie just cleaned that!” she yelled, glaring at the aggravating pony. It was then that Trixie took note of a surprising detail: Starlight was not with Moon Rock nor Sunny Days. Catching sight of that, Trixie reigned in her temper so it just barely shimmered through in her voice. “What happened to your friends?”

“None of your business. That’s what.” Starlight inspected the empty bin, ensuring she’d gotten everything out.

Trixie couldn’t be sure where they were, but if they’d been anywhere nearby Starlight wouldn’t have been so defensive about it, which had to mean… She’s alone. Trixie grinned. “Oh, Trixie understands. They finally got tired of hanging out with a blank flank.”

With a clatter, the dustbin rolled across the floor. Starlight glared at Trixie, letting her know she hit a sore spot. “They don’t care, they’re my friends. So what if I haven’t found my talent yet. At least I know I won’t get mine doing something lame like you. Table dancing? Hah.”

“Are they? Sunny Days would hang around with any random pony that asked her, she doesn’t know any better. And, Trixie saw Moon Rock ditched you last time to go to class. To class. Need Trixie say more?” As expected, her taunts made Starlight bare her teeth, but that was not all. It was more subtle, but Trixie could see something flicker in Starlight’s eyes that Trixie could not quite identify. Somehow, it reminded her of how Flitter had looked that morning, standing alone on the street before Trixie arrived.

“They, well, uh. Hey, Moon Rock thinks class is important, okay? And she’s right! I shouldn’t have wasted my time on a nopony like you!”

Trixie stepped in closer to Starlight, causing her to step back. “No, she knows you aren’t important. You know why right? Only loser ponies get their cutiemarks last, because they get the ones that nopony else wanted!”

“Shut up!” she screamed at the top of her lungs. “That is not how it works! I-is it?” Taking panicky glances around, Starlight took another step back, fighting back tears. “S-shut up!”

Immediately, Trixie stepped forward again. “It’s no surprise is it? After all, even your name shows how ordinary you are, Starlight. Did you know there are more stars than ponies?” Trixie watched Starlight slowly crumble with each cutting word, and it felt magnificent. Her mind reeled for something else she could throw at the crying pony. Anything to push her a little further and get another reaction. Glancing down the broom still in her hooves, Trixie put on a look of mock sympathy as she held it out towards Starlight. “Here. Maybe you can get a cutiemark in handling trash, seems fitting.”

“Shut up! Shut up or I’ll—”

“Or you’ll what?!” Trixie boomed as she reared up on her hind legs, startling Starlight as one hoof just barely missed her on the ascent. Glaring down at the shrinking pony before her, Trixie dropped back on all fours. Victorious, she turned away from Starlight, trotting back to her chore as she tried to ignore the rush in her veins. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is not scared of you, Blank Flank.” As a final jab, she simply returned to work, taking care of the other trash.

Shaking, Starlight trotted backwards till she hit a wall. She simply stood there for a little while as Trixie ignored her. Wiping her eyes and cheeks dry, Starlight took the hint and made herself scarce. Just as she was about to turn the corner Starlight muttered, “I guess you’re not,” her tone darkened, “but I know somepony who is.”

“What was that supposed to mean?” Trixie glanced in Starlight’s direction, but she was already gone. With Starlight out of sight, Trixie hoofpumped. Hah! Trixie won! That was amazing! The grin on her face felt almost painfully wide as she swept the trash onto a pile. It didn’t seem like such a bad chore now that it doubled as an insult.

Annoyingly, her limbs had started shaking after she’d calmed down a little, the broom felt heavier than it had been before, which did not help her in getting her work done any quicker. Still, she couldn’t be more pleased with herself. Just wait till Flitter hears about this! She wi— Trixie dropped the broom. “Flitter!”

Dashing through the hall, Trixie tried to recall where the professor had sent Flitter to. If only she had actually paid attention, but all she remembered was that he’d split them up. As she passed the staircase, Trixie skidded to a halt. If her chore was to clean the ground floor, then didn’t that mean he’d put Flitter on the second floor?

She had never actually been on the second floor, as generally students were not supposed to go there. It was rumored that it was haunted, though teachers climbed the stairs frequently enough that Trixie doubted that. Originally Trixie had proposed spending recess there, but Flitter was terrified of the ghosts getting them. Of course the professor would see to it that Flitter would spend detention in the worst possible place.

Trixie nearly tripped over the last step as she immediately caught sight of Starlight at the end of the hall, right next to Flitter. She must have made a lot of noise coming up, as Starlight turned her head away from Flitter, and gave a glare directly at Trixie.

Trixie was too far away to do anything but watch, or so Starlight must have thought. “Get away from her!” Trixie screamed, setting her horn a blaze and lifting an extremely shocked and struggling Starlight clear of the ground, slamming her into the ceiling.

“T-Trixie?” Flitter looked almost as shocked as Starlight. Judging by how calm Flitter looked, Trixie decided whatever Starlight had planned to do, she intended to wait till Trixie could see her do it. Which meant she’d made it in time.

“It’s okay, Flitter. Trixie’s got this!” With that, she pulled Starlight towards her, keeping her struggling in midair. Trixie couldn’t be sure how much magic she had restored after just one afternoon of not using any, but right now she felt as if she could launch Starlight to the moon and not even break a sweat. “Did you think Trixie would let you!?”

Trembling, Starlight ceased her meaningless struggle, staring wide-eyed at Trixie. Blood ran down her muzzle after the impact, but she was much more concerned with Trixie. “H-how? You can’t do this! Put me down, please.”

“Oh, Trixie will put you down, alright!” She glanced towards the window, then back to Starlight, who followed her gaze, paling instantly.

“No!” Starlight shrieked, tears in her eyes. “Please!”

Flitter stood nailed to the ground while she watched the entire thing take place.

Trixie bared her teeth at Starlight, fire coursed through her veins. How dared Starlight act like she was the victim, just seconds after seeking out Flitter to hurt her. “Do yo—”

“Miss Lulamoon,” a dull voice drawled right behind Trixie, but it was loud enough to startle her.

Everypony froze, apparently none of them had heard him coming, but as Trixie turned around she saw Professor Silence. He was looking down at her, then glanced briefly up at the floating Starlight with what could almost pass as only mild disinterest. Quickly, Trixie dispelled her magic, dropping Starlight down on the floor with a thud and yelp.

He stared at the three of them quietly for a time, not one of them dared to move. He’d never spoken to or interfered with the students before. After a moment, his eyes settled on Trixie. “Step into my office.” With that, he turned around and trotted into a nearby room.

All the heat was gone from the hallway. He’d barely spoken, but the very fact that he had said anything at all… it terrified Trixie. What had she just been about to do? Throw Starlight out of a window? How much trouble did that get a pony into?

Sensing that delaying was likely to get her into even more trouble, Trixie dragged her hooves over the threshold. She briefly looked at Flitter and Starlight, it might be her last chance to see either of them. A green glow shut the door, cutting them out of Trixie’s sight.

Turning around, Trixie found herself in a large office with files and various books ordered and neatly arranged perfectly straight. By the wall stood a large desk, a stack of papers on one side that Trixie recognized as last weeks tests. Taking a seat at his desk, Silence motioned to a small stool. “Sit.”

Trixie gulped.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Wow, it feels like it's been forever since we've had a filly Trixie chapter. I'll try to get that done a little more frequently.
Speaking of frequency, I've decided to dial back to one chapter a week for the time being, but that might have been obvious already. ^^

I wonder what the penalty is for giving a bully a bloody nose? Somehow I feel like it's probably a heavier punishment than a bully giving a victim a bloody nose. >.>

PreviousChapters Next