• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9 - Reconnaissance


“Fluttershy?” Trixie repeated the name, receiving a nod in return. It was a fitting name; she had to admit that much. Climbing back into the bed with Fluttershy’s help, Trixie laid down in hopes of getting the pounding in her head to drop back down to the level it was when she'd woken up.

Trixie looked at Fluttershy, who had gone silent again, with mild annoyance, but she let it go for the moment. It was clear that she was no threat to her, even if she could easily overpower her in Trixie’s current state; she did not seem like the type.

She could tell that she had sustained some kind of wound which explained her headache. The real worry was her weakened, no, merely less powerful, state and the fatigue. “What’s wrong with Trixie?” She wondered aloud, trying to remember what happened.

Trixie noticed Fluttershy was flinch, then nervously scrapped her hoof along the rug. Finally, Fluttershy found her voice again. “T-Trixie … has a,” she swallowed, “concussion … I'm sorry … Nurse Redheart said to let you rest.” It was so quiet, Trixie could barely make it out. At least it seemed she was more reliable for aid then she was conversation.

“A nurse? So Trixie is at a hospital.” A shiver ran down her spine as she realized the only town nearby with a hospital for miles had been Ponyville. Her oncoming panic was interrupted by noticing Fluttershy shaking her head. “Trixie is not in a hospital? Are you a nurse?”

Both questions received another shake, and Trixie raised a hoof, feeling frustrated again, but quickly slammed it back down on the bed just before she'd touch the sore spot again. She felt her heart beat in her throat. Safe! Though just how safe, she'd have to find out. Her voice quivered as she asked, “Is this Ponyville?”

Fluttershy nodded at first, then upon seeing the terror spread across Trixie’s face, she quickly added, “B-but on the outer edge. We thought you would uh … Like that more … A small walk away …” Fluttershy looked at Trixie with wide eyes, as if she were as scared as she was.

“O-okay … Yes Trixie … Likes that, Trixie supposes …” So she now knew she was in Ponyville after all. But only on its very edge? It seemed like as good a compromise as she could ask for. It did, however, raise a few more questions. “What made you think Trixie did not want to be in Ponyville?” Perhaps she had said something to them; much of the previous day was a blur.

“B-because of the Ursa?” Fluttershy looked uneasy bringing it up to Trixie. “Oh I'm sorry. But I really have to get back to the animals, please forgive me. I only came up because I heard a crash. D-do you need anything?”

Trixie flinched slightly at the mention of the Ursa, pushing the thought back with a shudder. She tried to focus on Fluttershy's offer through the pulsing in her skull. “Trixie wants a mirror,” she said finally.

This appeared to take Fluttershy off guard as she blinked and tilted her head in confusion. “A mirror? Uhm… Okay …” Spreading her wings, she flew so slowly, she was almost floating up to the chimney mantle, fetching a small framed mirror for Trixie before taking her leave “T-try to sleep. It's okay now.”

Trixie took the mirror, but her attention remained on the skittish mare. She had seen pegasi fly often enough; their fast motions and freedom often reminded her of birds, but this little display of floating had been pathetic in comparison. Less like a bird, more like a … butterfly. She nodded. Lacking in one's race-defining trait, how sad.

She was about to turn her attention away from the doorway when she noticed Fluttershy had stopped just outside the door. This puzzled Trixie, especially as she seemed to be speaking with someone, or a least moving her lips; It was hard enough to hear her when she was standing right next to Trixie after all.

Trixie was slightly worried for as moment Fluttershy might be deranged, until she took notice of a second shadow, fortunately confirming there was somepony else there. Though this also seemed rather strange.

Why was there another pony waiting right behind the door-post? Why would the shy one be the only one to come in? … Oh no! don't tell Trixie that WAS the assertive one! Her head hurt just imagining Fluttershy's friend being even more shy.

The conversation seemed to conclude as Fluttershy walked away. The other pony must have turned to follow her, their tail swishing briefly into view. Trixie smirked, bemused at the sight. Well that is as much as Trixie will ever see of that pony, A rainbow tail… Huh? A sudden sound of ticking caught Trixie's attention. She glanced down to find her own hooves were shaking involuntarily, tapping the small mirror. W-what’s wrong now? Her chest felt tight, and her breathing became quicker.

She quickly looked back at the door. Trixie could not explain it, but something there had sent chills down her whole body. Biting the blanket and quickly pulling it over her, she stared at the door, but the feeling she had before ebbed away again. A couple of deep, slow breaths were taken, trying to calm her nerves. “R-relax Trixie, there's nothing there.”

Directing her attention back to the small mirror for distraction, Trixie began a spell to levitate it with her magic, but halted the attempt quickly when she felt pressure build in her head. Foal! That Fluttershy just told Trixie! Grumbling with her own foolishness, She lifted up the mirror in her hooves to get a look at herself, dropping it immediately in shock.

Trixie's horrible! Gasping for breath, she raised the mirror again, staring at the almost unfamiliar face within. Around the bandages and cold packs, she could see the swelling and purplish patches of fur, rather than its usual blue. She briefly took a moment to consider. That is weird. You'd only get that if mixed with… She grimaced, not finishing the sentence.

Trixie examined herself in the mirror carefully, giving a winch at the thought that what she saw was actually the good parts. Her eyes lingered on the bandages. She slipped the mirror under her pillow with a sigh, shifting to get more comfortable before looking through the room again.

She had not paid much attention before while trying to escape, but the first thing she took note of was the bird houses hanging from the ceiling and nests in the rafters. “What in Equestria …?” The bedridden unicorn was already fairly familiar with the bed itself, standing free on three sides in the middle of the room. It was made out of a butterfly-decorated green wood with quilted sheets, which also bore a butterfly pattern. Mhm, Trixie guesses Fluttershy knows it too, well of course she would.

She let her gaze sweep along the yellow walls; they were supported with sturdy wooden beams, only interrupted by a gray stone chimney that opened into an actual fireplace at the bottom. Some large dark-colored cloths were hung up on the walls in a few places. Trixie could just barely make out some light shining through Also for Trixie's benefit? Or to keep Trixie from knowing her surroundings …? In either case, she was glad not to have the sun in her eyes anymore.

What few shelves there were had been decorated with picture frames, a few books, and what looked like homemade drawings hanging on the wall that the head of the bed was set up against, perhaps from a friendly filly or from her host herself in her foal-hood.

The floors were simple hardwood, and decorated only by a small red oval carpet at the foot of the bed. Though there was barely room to even stand on the carpet due to a green trunk placed on top of it as well. Overall, Trixie felt it was actually rather cozy, if a little bit weird. She glanced back up at the birdhouses and noticed some veins grew along the ceiling as well. Curious … But it does fit in with the decor.

Trixie closed her eyes, feeling the strain starting to get to her. It was annoying to think that hitting her head could make her that sleepy for so long. Before she drifted off once again, a new scent made its way into her room; Somepony was cooking.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading I hope you enjoyed!

I never quite realized just how amazing Fluttershy's house actually is though it is a little inconsistent between episodes.
It certainly was nice learning more about it in the process of writing this chapter.

There's been a question on my mind recently.
Is the desc for this story representative? Or did you come in expecting something else based from it? (Thanks for sticking around anyway if you did heh.)
I'd like to hear about this in the comments from anyone with the time.

PreviousChapters Next