• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,830 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,830

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 62 - Recipe


Despite Trixie staring her sharpest daggers at Rainbow Dash, she told the story anyway. At least she had taken care not to identify the true origin of the tale. Instead, she spun an admittedly scary story about an earth pony that had tried to fly using a pedal-powered contraption and plummeted to earth as it came too close to the sun, screeching her head off until it discovered it could in fact fly. From that day forward it was said to fly screeching at night, looking for unsuspecting earth ponies or unicorns that were out after dark in order to teach them how to fly too, with no successful students thus far.

Trixie felt like the impact of the story was diminished by the fact that Rainbow Dash’s audience consisted of a unicorn that knew the truth, and pegasus already capable of flight. There was no doubt in her mind that Rainbow Dash was aware of this, as the grin on her face every time she looked at Trixie when she mentioned the words ‘screeching mare’ grew each time Trixie reacted.

Mercifully, the story was a fairly short one.

“And in the morning, they found the little unicorn… All over the street!”

“Right, and how come nopony has ever read about that in the newspaper?” Trixie smirked.

“Well, uh, the pony was the local news editor, so they couldn’t run the story.” Rainbow Dash beamed. A low growl rose up from her stomach, preventing Trixie from pressing on further and Rainbow Dash quickly followed up. “Oh man, I am hungry! I could eat a hay bail! Fluttershy, do we have anything good? Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash trailed off as she laid eyes on Fluttershy.

Quivering, Fluttershy had set her hooves on her ears somewhere during the story, and closed her eyes tightly. Only after a few pokes from Rainbow Dash did she lift one hoof off an ear and peeked out of one eye. “I-Is it o-over?”

Rainbow Dash chuckled while she nodded, reaching out one hoof to stroke through Fluttershy’s mane comfortingly. “Yes, Fluttershy. And hey, you made it all the way to the end this time. I’m pretty sure you are getting better at this.”

Trixie rolled her eyes. Sure she would have expected Fluttershy to be easily scared by ghost stories, but not stories where she was literally immune to the monster. It is because she used to be bad at it? Ah, yes. She did tell Trixie that she fell off Cloudsdale once. Maybe it brought back memories.

Still, as silly as it seemed to Trixie, Fluttershy looked just adorable as she took comfort in the hoof running along her mane. Beginning to reach out a hoof as well, Trixie glanced up at Rainbow Dash, and pulled back hesitantly. “So, about dinner. You should feel honored, because Trixie will make pancakes.” Trixie beamed proudly.

Rainbow Dash looked at Trixie incredulously. “Whoa, hold your horses! You aren’t allowed to do chores yet! And even more important than that: you can cook?”

Raising a brow, Trixie slipped off the couch and pointed a hoof at Fluttershy. “Ask Fluttershy. Trixie can do chores now, it’s been a week. Trixie even helped Fluttershy take down branches.” She puffed up her chest, proud to at least be able to act as if she was pulling her weight. “Now, instead of giving Trixie dumb looks, tell her what you want on yours.”

“Uhmm, Trixie… you can do chores, but I don’t think you should handle fire just yet,” Fluttershy said, making Trixie’s smile falter.

“But, pancakes.” Trixie offered.

“Are you sure?” Fluttershy looked concerned, clearly insistent to keep Trixie away from anything that might hurt her.

“Relax, Fluttershy, I say we give her a chance.” Rainbow Dash gave Trixie a smile. “Syrup and Cinnamon, we’ll see if you are as good as you claim Trixie.”

That’s some sweet tooth. Maybe Trixie will get a taste, after Rainbow Dash has eaten it all. Trixie blushed lightly at the thought and quickly tried to press on. “Alright Trixie accepts!” Trixie turned to Fluttershy expectantly.

After staring at Trixie for a few moments, Fluttershy finally relented. “Okay… Strawberries please, Trixie. But please tell me if you need any help.”

Mhm, fruity. Trixie, quickly turned her back to the pair so they couldn’t see her face and laughed heartly while she walked away from the pair on the couch. “The Great and Powerful Trixie can handle some utensils! Don’t go anywhere! Trixie can make pancakes with her eyes closed!”

Feeling as if she was walking on air, Trixie trotted into the kitchen. This was going to be great. She could make something delicious and impress them both in a single go. “Alright, pancake time!” She called out loud enough that was pretty sure they could still hear her, then closed the kitchen door behind her and smiled while looking around.

Now… where does Fluttershy keep the cookbook?


With another growl from her stomach, Rainbow Dash gave a look at the kitchen door while she rubbed a hoof over it, trying to quiet the beast down. “Ughh, what is taking her so long? It’s been two days.”

Fluttershy giggled. “Oh, come on, Rainbow Dash, it’s barely been an hour.”

“I guess.” Rainbow Dash groaned. She had hoped to hear a call of dinner for the past hour, but all she got to hear from the kitchen was the occasional sound of objects falling, followed by a cry of increasing frustration.

Well, even if I am hungry, it’s nice to have some time with Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash smiled at her precious friend, sitting closely beside her. A look of worry was clearly written all over Fluttershy’s face, making Rainbow Dash wonder when she would finally snap and rush into the kitchen to salvage what she could.

Trying to keep both their minds off the kitchen, Rainbow Dash launched into a tirade about her day and just how everything should have gone. After Rainbow Dash had complained enough about hers to be sated for a while, and she was caught up to speed on Fluttershy’s day, there was a lull in the conversation.

“So uhm…. Oh yeah, Fluttershy, has Twilight dropped by?” Rainbow Dash asked, laying her head down on the armrest.

“Twilight? No I don’t think so. Why?”

“I asked her if she got any books from what was left of Trixie’s wagon. She said she’d look into it and come bring them over if she found them. I guess not then.” Rainbow Dash chuckled awkwardly and let her gaze travel through the room. Come on, Rainbow! You can think of something more interesting to say!

Her eyes fell on the bathroom door, still open. “Hey, Fluttershy, do you still make those honey soap and things yourself? They were really good.”

Fluttershy smiled at the praise and nodded. “I do, uhm would you like some to take with you, Rainbow Dash? I don’t mind.”

Scratching her chin, Rainbow Dash let her gaze fall back on Fluttershy. “Mhm let me think about that…” She paused and raised her hoof up higher, sniffing it. The honey scent was strong. Then looked to Fluttershy and leaned in, letting her muzzle run along the fur of Fluttershy’s foreleg, the soft fur tickled her nose as she breathed in. Sitting back up with a grin, Rainbow Dash shook her head.

“No, I definitely like it better on you, Fluttershy. A sweet scent like that it… suits you,” Rainbow Dash said with a blush, her eyes raising to meet Fluttershy’s. Rainbow Dash could feel her legs go weak while she admired the kind eyes, or eye rather as one was hidden.

Staring back at Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy half-hid behind her mane while she tried to form words, but her attempts were interrupted when the kitchen door finally opened.


Trixie looked over the kitchen, it was a complete and utter mess. Broken eggs, flour, batter, gooey pancakes, and sugar were strewn across the floor and counter, and half of her face was white due to trying to wipe her mane, definitely not her tears of frustration, out of her face with a flour-covered hoof.

It had completely slipped Trixie’s mind that she had no magic, leaving her with only her hooves to perform all those complicated tasks. Which would not have been really that much trouble, if not for the annoying side effect of her injury: it affected her fine control over her hooves, so much so that she could not even make a hay sandwich without Fluttershy’s help.

Alright, so it had taken Trixie a little longer than she had planned, but nothing was going to stop her once she had made up her mind. Not even repeated and infuriating failure.

Her prize was standing on the kitchen counter, surrounded by charred early attempts: three plates with beautiful stacks of pancakes. One smeared with strawberry jam, the other covered with syrup and cinnamon, and the last with blueberry jam for herself.

Trixie beamed proudly at her achievement, then looked towards the cookbook she’d propped open against a pot. To her delight, they looked almost like they did in the book. Perfect on the first try Trixie! As if The Great and Powerful Trixie could possibly fail! Though she had yet to actually test them, they certainly looked the part.

Setting everything on a tray, Trixie hastily cleaned herself up, then pushed open the kitchen door and made her way towards the couch, ensuring everypony had the right ones.

“Great and Powerful Pancakes, just as Trixie promised.” Trixie exclaimed before she climbed back on as well and smiled brightly. While Trixie stared at the two of them expectantly, she noticed Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were looking pretty heated.

“Heh, we’ll see about that!” Rainbow Dash smiled, and without hesitation dug in. To Trixie’s surprise there was no complaining about how long she had taken to get the job done.

Fluttershy looked at Trixie with an expression of great relief on her face. “Great job, Trixie. These look good,” She said, then took a bite.

Trixie could feel herself glowing with the praise. “Of course, this is mere foals play for Trixie. Oh, uh, but this is a, uhm, secret recipe, so you can’t go in the kitchen until Trixie has put the ingredients away.” She hoped that would keep Fluttershy out for a while.

After an hour of slaving away over the stove, Trixie nearly did not even feel like pancakes anymore, but her rumbling stomach quickly convinced her. She eagerly took her first bite and munched, then froze. She looked up from her plate to find Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy each had similar reactions.

These are absolutely moreish!

Trixie exchanged a look with the pair of pegasi that stared at her while they each chewed their mouthfuls, swallowed. Though not a single word was spoken, there truly did not need to be. They all knew, and that was enough for Trixie for the time being.

She did not even waste time to boast, and immediately dug back in, a bright smile on her muzzle.

Was there ever any doubt!?






Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

So funny story... I honestly thought today was Wednesday. I've been 1 day slow this whole week because I had Monday off.
Which would be why this chapter is a day late, my bad.
I really should have suspected something when I heard people wish each-other a good weekend.

Alright be honest with me, did you know what moreish meant?
I sure didn't. It sounds like the exact opposite of what it means.
Isn't that great? :trollestia:

PreviousChapters Next