• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,804 Views, 2,738 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,738
 7,804

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6 - Rage

Rainbow Dash cleaved through the top layer of the unnatural cloud covering over the Everfree Forest, leaving a multi-colored streak in her wake. She loved the cool feeling of the moisture on to her fur combined with the winds. It cooled her down while she raced to the next cloud to puncture. Normally, she thought only of doing it faster.

She was much more distracted today, however, with her mind continuously drifting back to her conversation with Fluttershy. Things had been going so well as she told her animal-loving friend about the Ursa's rampage. Rainbow Dash had spent a good deal of time telling her all about the actual Ursa, exaggerating its ferocity and danger to the town, before telling of the way the Ursa was vanquished and Trixie driven off.

Rainbow Dash should have smelled the trouble coming when she'd seen the worry on Fluttershy's face when she mentioned that Trixie had fled into the forest. However, she had been much too busy complaining about Twilight's apparent lack of caring and just assumed it had worried her friend too.

“I just thought if I was gonna have to get up early and get wet 'cause of her, then so should she!” Rainbow Dash had protested, trying to convince Fluttershy she'd done nothing wrong.

Fluttershy looked down at the floor, scraping her hoof along the wood. “But... it's the Everfree Forest... She's all alone in there... I don't think anypony deserves that... And you made it worse?” Raising her head just enough, Fluttershy looked Rainbow in the eyes. “Didn't you say that nopony ever comes out? ...Except us...”

Kicking through a particularly wet cloud brought Rainbow Dash back to reality. ”One look, and the perfect prank feels like the worst thing in the world. How does that pony do that?” Her stomach felt like she'd taken one of Applejacks bucks, just thinking about the disappointment in her friend's eyes. As if she was bullying that braggart.

“It's not fair! Why do I have to feel bad just because that blowhard got herself into trouble? Just cause I didn't stop her? Twilight even told me not to!” Rainbow Dash racked her mind for reasons she could levy against her feelings, but each one just felt hollow in comparison when she tried to imagine using them on Fluttershy.

Floating still in midair, she brought a hoof to her face. “Nopony ever comes out, except us huh? Oh that was subtle.” She dragged the hoof down, her eyes rolling. ”She did not expect me to just clear the clouds did she…?” Flying up higher, she observed the clouds below. She estimated it was thin enough at last for a single dash to part the clouds.

Stalling for time while she tapped her hoof against her head, she scrunched up her eyes. “Come on! There's got to be something you can say if you go back empty-hooved right? Anything that would make Fluttershy accept that Trixie is fine where she is?” She pictured herself talking to Fluttershy for a moment, then opened her eyes with a sigh. “Fine.” Diving down at breakneck speed, Rainbow Dash ripped through the cloud cover, tearing it in half with a final swoop.

Rainbow Dash turned back to admire her handiwork while the clouds slowly drifted apart. The heavy moisture in the air broke the light, making it seem as if the blur of her mane and tail had remained frozen in midair. Staying quiet, she stared at the colors, just appreciating for a moment how awesome she could be, even unintentionally.

“Rainbow! And Dash!”

Rainbow Dash blinked as she heard that grating voice below her. For the briefest of moments, she considered pretending she had misheard, before diving through the parting clouds towards the source of the sound. “Trixie?”


Trixie's ears perked up. Her head snapped towards the sky in shock as she heard her name called. Hooves slapped before her mouth while she stared up with wide eyes. Seriously!? Of all the times to blurt out loud! She was not sure how long the pegasus had been on her trail, but this was clearly no accident as far as Trixie was concerned.

She weighed her options between hiding, fleeing, and confronting Rainbow Dash. Trixie had bested the pegasus once before, though she was not entirely sure she could do it now. But to flee or hide from just one pony was clearly a sign of weakness. No, Trixie would have to come out with a strong bluff, or warning rather, and scare her off to get reinforcements. That should wo—

“Hey, are you gonna stay in there? Looks wet.” Rainbow Dash stood right at the entrance of her little cavern, her head tilting while she observed Trixie. She gave a chuckle at the sight of her predicament.

Startled by the interruption, Trixie scrambled to her hooves.No! Trixie wasn't ready yet! “And just what is so funny?!” she yelled with as much strength as she could muster, letting her horn glow up. She rose to stand tall, but the low ceiling collided painfully against her head and horn, making her quickly lower down again, the orchid light dying out with a flicker.

The sight seemed to amuse the other pony greatly as the chuckle broke into full out laughter while Trixie rubbed her head and glared up at Rainbow Dash. “Stop laughing at The Great and Powerful Trixie! She will not stand for this!” Moisture beaded up at the corners of her eyes despite her best efforts. Please, just let her go away. I don't want this.

Rainbow Dash raised up one hoof to wipe the tears of laughter from her eyes, while waving the other in front of Trixie. “Okay, ahaha, okay stop, just stop!” Clearing her throat, Rainbow Dash stifled her laughter. Though Trixie could tell it was just barely contained. The corners of Rainbow Dash’s mouth constantly crept up, before she'd catch herself and attempt to put on a straight face again. “Phew! So you've been roughing it huh?”

Trixie's eyes narrowed while she watched the mocking pegasus, unsure of how to respond with something that would not result in another volley. the best and easiest way to stop the laughing was probably to anger her. Taking a few deep breaths, she steadied herself. “What tipped you off? The fact that you chased Trixie out of town without a bit to her name? You cowards.” Shooting Rainbow Dash a cool glance, Trixie did her best to look smug.

That seemed to do it, Rainbow Dash turned from snickering to nearly snarling. “Hey you are lucky you got off that easy! If it were up to me, you'd pay for putting all of Ponyville through that!”

That was more like it; anger she could deal with. “Oh you would make Trixie pay? For what exactly? Trixie was there, and the only thing that Ursa destroyed was Trixie's home. It barely even scratched a roof of Ponyville!”

“Serves you right for bringing it here doesn't it? You almost destroyed everypony’s home, but just ended up destroying your own! Twilight says there is a word for that: Ironing!”

Now it was Trixie's turn to laugh. She quickly seized upon the opportunity and climbed out of the cavern, getting face to face with Rainbow Dash. “It's pronounced 'Irony,' and it's not the right word for it even IF Trixie had brought the Ursa to town; it is poetic justice you foal!” A confident smile returned to her face It was amazing how easy it was to manipulate a country pony. “If that Twilight Sugarcube told you that, then she is as ignorant as you are! If she had not interrupted Trixie, she would have shown that incompetent unicorn some real magic!”

She saw Rainbow Dash spin around, turning her back to Trixie. With a feeling of triumph for driving the loud pegasus running away, she added. “That's better. You ru—” She did not get any further. Her eyes went wide as a set of hindhooves rapidly closed in on her face.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed!

Read about how to do small flashbacks and doing a little practice for it here. I wonder if it came over as intended.

Since we're back on Trixie perspective we don't get to see much of rainbow's motives or thoughts aside from inferring.
Fortunately Rainbow is pretty straightforward ^^
I have the urge to imply the rational behind the characters actions heavier but I hear giving the reader some credit is much more sensible, I can't argue with that ^^
Probably implying it a tad too heavy at times as it is >.>

Considering if I should end this story here and tell the rest in a new continuation story. Or keep it all within the same story, though I am not sure what to do with the tags at that point. Any advice on that would be appreciated I'm not sure what is the norm.

PreviousChapters Next