• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 50 - Revelation

At long last, one of Trixie’s most pressing questions was about to be answered. After returning inside with Fluttershy, she had stuck close to her in the dark, and finally prepared to ask the question that had been on her mind for so long.

“Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy paused and looked at Trixie, the faint light of the dwindling candle in the windowsill illuminated her smile. “Yes, Trixie?”

“Trixie has something she wants to ask.”

“Oh, uhm. Sure, I’ll try to answer any questions you have. What is it?”

Trixie shifted uncomfortably, it was difficult to ask but she finally brought herself to it. “How do you turn the lights on? We tried for an hour, but we couldn’t figure it out.”

Blinking, Fluttershy stared at Trixie, then looked around as if only now becoming aware that her house was dark as night. “Oh! It’s simple, you just have to ask nicely.”

Trixie blushed embarrassed. Ugh of course it was simple, now I look like a fool. “Uhm sorry. Please tell Trixie how to turn the lights on.”

Fluttershy giggled and shook her head. “Not like that. Hm I could show you, but I don’t think it’s nice to bother them if we don’t need them, I’m sorry.” Fluttershy looked apologetic, but then cheered up. “Oh, I have an idea. Are you hungry?”

It was not clear to Trixie how any of this was supposed to make sense. “Uh well, a little maybe. Why?” She stared at Fluttershy in the vain hope she might be able to deduce what was going on. I did it wrong? They? Is she teasing?

“I do have some apple broccoli soup left. I meant to eat it with Rainbow Dash, but we uhm forgot…” She looked down, and gently kicked at the ground, scrapping a hoof along the floorboards. She quickly snapped out of it. “Oh! Uh, only because we got so wrapped up in everything, I mean it’s not anypony's fault. Just so much happened and uh. Well... uhm. If you like we can have it?”

“Alright, Trixie is not sure how this relates to Trixie’s question though… But she’d be happy to have some more of that soup of yours, Fluttershy.” Though the reason still eluded her, any excuse to have some more of the talented mare’s cooking was a good one.

Fluttershy smiled. “Great, hold on I’ll see if we can get some light.” To Trixie’s surprise, Fluttershy walked back outside.

“Wait, where are you going?” Trixie called out confused, and quickly followed after her. She found Fluttershy standing around outside, speaking to herself.

“Uhm excuse me, do you think you could come inside for a little while? I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind.” Fluttershy looked up at, as far as Trixie could tell, just the sky. “Oh, thank you for understanding.”

Trixie worried about Fluttershy’s unusual behavior. “Fluttershy? Are you feeling okay? Why are you…” Her voice trailed off as she finally caught on.

What Trixie had initially dismissed as stars in the sky had turned out to be living creatures, and a small, but steady, stream of the flying little flickering lights made its way into the cottage. Their spread out small lights were not enough to illuminate the meadow, but their glow combined lit up the small hovel.

“F-Fireflies?” Trixie stammered.

“Oh you know them? Aren’t they just the most beautiful sight? I usually have some inside in the rafters, but I was not sure when we would be back so I asked them to go outside before I closed up. It would be just terrible if the poor dears got trapped inside and grew hungry.”

Trixie nodded. “Yes, Trixie often sees them at night when Trixie has made camp, but never like this.” She trotted back into the cottage, a gentle light from the glowing insects ensured it was easy to see everything. “This is amazing.”

“Aren’t they? I’m really lucky they are willing to help.” Fluttershy made her way into the kitchen to retrieve a metal kettle and set it near the fireplace. With a practiced ease, she lit the fire and hung the kettle on a hook over the fire. She made her way to the window, and blew out the candle. “You can rest on the couch while this warms up, Trixie, if you want to that is.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie does not… Actually that sounds pretty good.” Trixie climbed on the couch and laid down with a happy sigh. The soft pillows made it hard to fight to urge to go right to sleep. “Mhm Fluttershy? Trixie has another question.”

Fluttershy looked into the kettle for a moment before she made her way towards Trixie, and took a seat beside her. “Sure, what is it?”

Trixie had not actually thought about how to phrase the question, but she figured she thought a bit better under pressure, she didn’t. “Well uh… About the dragon story. Why do you let Rainbow Dash talk to you like that?”

Fluttershy blinked and leaned away a little. “Talk to me like what? I don’t know what you mean, Trixie.”

“Don’t pretend, Trixie knows many things. Especially when soft mares start tensing up whenever they are called slow. What is wrong?” Trixie said in a demanding tone. It only took her half a second to regret her tone of voice as she saw Fluttershy shrink back further. “No wait, sorry. Look, Fluttershy, it’s uh, okay to be scared… but Trixie wants to know what is bothering you, b-because… you are very important to Trixie. And she does not want to see you hurt.”

Fluttershy said nothing and retreated behind her mane.

Curses, was that too out the blue? Trixie waited for a few moments, but when no response came from Fluttershy she carried on. “Trixie has some idea of what is wrong. Why don’t you try to help fill her in? Is that okay, Fluttershy?” She received a slow nod. “You were slowing everypony down, and your friends were mean to you for it. Even though they were the ones that made you come?”

Fluttershy quickly shook her head. “N-no, well… yes. But most of my friends did not say anything about it… Applejack helped me a lot. B-but…”

Nodding, Trixie tried to help her along. “But Rainbow Dash was the one that hated you for it? She did sound very impatient even when telling the story.”

“S-she did not hate me, b-but I… I disappointed her, I could tell. I-it’s not her fault, I know I should have said something. The whole trip I knew I was slowing her down when she was in such a hurry. A-and, and… I don’t like disappointing her.” Fluttershy whimpered, Trixie could hear her sniffling behind her mane.

Trixie looked shocked, she had not been sure if Fluttershy would really open up. She quickly scooted closer and pulled Fluttershy into a hug, lending her a shoulder if she needed it, but stayed quiet herself. With her muzzle so near Fluttershy’s mane, Trixie smelled the scent of raspberry, but also a faint hint of dragon’s breath that made her nose wrinkle. It occurred to her she always picked the worst moments for this. Focus Trixie!

Shaking in Trixie’s grasp, Fluttershy’s forelegs moved around Trixie. “Sh-she’s really good to me, and I love her but I j-just… I am not as good as she is, she’s fast and brave while I’m slow and cowardly, b-but was that’s okay because I know she will be there for me no matter what. B-but I’m supposed to be a bearer of the elements now. I can’t slow her down anymore. I wanted to show her I could be brave for her.”

“I-its okay,” Trixie cooed while she let one hoof stroke Fluttershy’s mane and back. Ever since her plan to head into the forest and spend the day alone with Fluttershy, she had hoped she would learn to share with her, to get to know her more. An embrace had been just what Trixie would have hoped for when they were alone, but not like this. She just had an overwhelming desire to make everything alright for her, to protect her, but she was not sure how. S-so this is what it feels like huh, Rainbow Dash?

As Fluttershy continued, Trixie could feel her fur growing wet. "It...It was awful, all I wanted was to get off t-that mountain as fast as possible, but every time something else was making me do even w-worse. I wanted to be better for her, but all I did was prove what a coward I am. I-I let her down."

Trixie frowned while she listened, holding Fluttershy tighter. “Fluttershy, you are such a foal,” she whispered. “You’re scared that Rainbow Dash is disappointed and thinks you are a coward? Trixie does not think that is true. ‘Fluttershy is brave, she does her best every day to be kind to everypony, even if she’s scared.’ Trixie is convinced this is the truth.”

Sniffling, Fluttershy asked, “thank you, b-but what makes you think that?”

“Because that is what Rainbow Dash told Trixie, back when Trixie scared you…” Trixie bit her lip, she did not like to think about that, any of it. Well, except maybe the end of that. A soft smile played on her lips.

“S-she said that?” Fluttershy sounded less tearful, though Trixie had no way to check. She was sure Fluttershy had stopped crying however.

Trixie nodded. “She most definitely did, Trixie has the entire thing burned in her memory, and Trixie’s memory is already perfect by default so you know she is right!” She gently pushed away from Fluttershy so she could look at her. “Trixie knows Rainbow Dash trusts you. The two of you are the closest friends Trixie has ever seen!” It was the honest truth, but Trixie still decided it would be best to leave out that they were also the only friends she had ever paid attention to.

Fluttershy looked to be doing better, Trixie had never been so glad to be right. “B-but then why was she so mean today? Are you really sure?”

Smiling reassuringly, Trixie gave another nod. “Trixie is sure. Don’t worry, Fluttershy. Just talk to Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy looked down after the suggestion. ”Uh or Trixie will talk to Rainbow Dash. You'll see. You saw how proud she was of you didn’t you? Or felt it Trixie thinks might be more accurate.”

Fluttershy blushed and nodded slowly. “T-that is true. It was nice, she does not usually like to get mushy like that.”

“That was mushy?” Trixie looked surprised. All Rainbow Dash did was give her a quick hug. Maybe that’s not normal for friends after all?

“Uhm, well for Rainbow Dash yes. She is not big on touching.”

Is Fluttershy messing with Trixie? Though it is true Trixie has not seem them together now that Trixie thinks about it. But Rainbow Dash was wrestling Applejack just a minute ago. And sure Rainbow Dash stayed away from Trixie at the start, but that was when Trixie was scared of her. After that she seemed okay with Trixie being close, W-well… Except for that time Trixie got a bit ‘too close’…

Trixie tried to fight back the mixed feelings that came with remembering the painful and embarrassing moment, but she could feel her cheeks starting to burn. She could practically feel the touch of Rainbow Dash’s lips against her own again, stroking a hoof along her muzzle.

I wonder how it would be with Flu—

“Trixie? Are you okay? You look a bit, uhm, feverish.” Fluttershy leaned closer and reached up a hoof for Trixie’s forehead.

Startled out of her fantasy, Trixie quickly leaned back from the hoof. “Ack, Trixie is fine! Is that burning? Trixie thinks she smells burning, quick go check!” She waved a frantic hoof towards the fireplace.

Fluttershy’s eyes widened, then she made a mad dash for the kettle, only to find it was just barely starting to get warm. She breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh thank goodness. I guess it was just the firewood, the soup is fine.”

“Yes, soup, good.” Trixie ensured she remained facing away from Fluttershy. She could hear Fluttershy’s hoofsteps trail into the kitchen then return shortly afterwards. A brief glance revealed she balanced two empty bowls between her wings, and carried a ladle in her mouth.

Could you sound any less natural? Come on Trixie!

Once the thought had entered her mind however it proved substantially more difficult to shake it. Trixie watched Fluttershy fill the bowls with the ladle, but found her attention shift to the lips holding the handle before she quickly looked away again.

T-that’s not good is it? I’m supposed to be their friend. It’s like Rainbow Dash said. If I feel the same about them, then it must be friendship. But… I wasn’t sure then either. If only there was something I could do to confirm.

“Trixie, are you coming?” Fluttershy called out to her from the dining table. She had already moved the soup bowls there while Trixie was busy distracting herself. “Uhm if you like you can have it on the couch, but I am not sure that is safe… I’m sorry.”

“No, no it’s fine. Trixie is coming.” With a wobble, Trixie climbed off the couch and then made her way to the table, taking her usual seat. She gave a smile to Fluttershy before all of her attention was set on the soup, sparing the occasional glance up at Fluttershy as they ate, or drank.

The silence was finally broken as Trixie spoke up. “Say, Fluttershy? Is… is it always like that?”

Fluttershy looked up from her bowl, swallowing her mouthful. “The soup?”

Trixie shook her head. “The… Trixie is not sure what to call it. The whole evening. After the nurses left, it was very lively. With Rainbow Dash and Applejack trying to tell, or sabotage, their story about what you girls had been doing. Sharing all of those things, the drinks, laughs, arguments… physical things. All of it.”

“Oh, uhm well not the exact things, but it tends to be yes. When we get together as friends that is, it can be a bit, uhm, livelier if the others are there too. Tonight was only the four of us, though I think I liked it a little better this way.” Fluttershy gasped. “N-not that I don’t like it when it’s all of us, or less of us, or other friends than who were here tonight. They are all great and good fun, its just more peaceful, or uhm less difficult to keep track. I mean uhm…”

Trixie giggled and waved one hoof around the room. “It’s okay Fluttershy, nopony is here to be offended when you say you don’t like having them around.” She gave a playful wink.

“T-that is not… Oh, you are awful.” Fluttershy brought up a hoof to her muzzle as if to cover her mouth in shock, but Trixie could hear the giggles behind it.

“But what Trixie is trying to say really, Fluttershy.” Trixie began, then paused for a moment as she tried to collect her thoughts on the whole thing. “Even though… Trixie kind of ruined it a few times… it picked back up quickly, and well. Trixie had a really good time. It’s not often Trixie is not in the spotlight, but it was okay somehow. For a little while anyway, Trixie makes no promises for when she is better.” She crossed her hooves across her chest.

Fluttershy dipped down for another quick sip of soup. “That’s great, Trixie. I was not sure if it was a good idea to have you out there. You even fell asleep at the start, so you must have been so tired. But if you say that you enjoyed yourself, I’m happy we went through with it. I’m sure Rainbow Dash will like to hear it too. Oh, and don’t worry. You did not ruin anything, we all understand you are a bit weak right now.”

“Trixie is not weak,” Trixie grumbled, “she is merely less powerful than usual, but equally as great.”

“Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t mean too… I know you are. Back in the forest when the Timberwolves found us. You were really impressive… Even though you were hurt… and got hurt even worse because of it. I’m sorry.“ Fluttershy half-hid behind her mane while she brought one eye up from the table, and settled on Trixie’s. ”I still have not thanked you for that, I’m sorry. Thank you for protecting me.”

While she looked back at Fluttershy, Trixie felt warm, but also something familiar yet strange, as though there had been something sparkling in the soup. “W-well… one could hardly expect a unicorn as Great and Powerful as Trixie to do anything less. Besides, you were very brave Fluttershy. You saved Trixie multiple times, and you stayed by her side even when you could have flown to safety and left Trixie to her fate. Nopony would have blamed you if you had. You have my eternal gratitude.”

“I-it was nothing, if it was not for Rainbow Dash things would have been terrible…” Fluttershy blushed, but then shivered as she mentioned the alternative possibility.

Trixie perked up. “That might be true, but she was there for us. So if you promise not to worry about that, Trixie will promise not to worry about the dragon. Deal?” She smiled as Fluttershy nodded in return. “Excellent, oh that reminds Trixie. When we were in the castle, you said Rainbow Dash has never had any interest in a special somepony?”

Fluttershy blinked puzzled, but nodded. “A-as far as I know, and I think she would have told me about it. She just is not the type I think. She’s far too busy training to be part of the Wonderbolts to even think about that kind of thing, I think.”

“Yes, like you said, she had plenty of ponies after her.” Trixie nodded a bit. “Trixie is curious though, Fluttershy. You never said anything about yourself so, Trixie was just wondering. Is it the same for you?”

Blushing, Fluttershy went even more quiet that usual. “I-is what the same?”

“Are you not interested in a special somepony, like Rainbow Dash?” By what Trixie had heard she figured it might be that both ponies ended up together by sharing a disinterest in pursuing a romance.

To Trixie’s surprise however, Fluttershy had turned red and retreated even further behind her mane, she could barely see her eye anymore. “R-Rainbow Dash, as a special somepony?”

Trixie blinked puzzled, and tilted her head quizzically. “What are you…? Oh! Hah no no, Fluttershy. Trixie means if you are like her, the same. You know.”

“Oh, oh! I-I see. Sorry I just was really surprised t-that’s all.” She shook her head, looking back down at her soup. “I uh… Well you know… I’m not good around other ponies. So I didn’t ever have one for Heart’s and Hooves day… Usually we just ‘hang out’, as Rainbow Dash calls it, and she shows me some new stunts.” By the look on Fluttershy’s face, Trixie could guess not all of those stunts had ended well.

“Trixie did not mean to make you uncomfortable, sorry. It was not a good thing to ask.” She followed Fluttershy’s example by returning her attention to the soup. Trixie’s mind wandered while she swallowed the warm liquid.

That was interesting. Trixie would almost think they are hiding something from her, but are they? Something does not add up… Don’t be silly, Trixie, what purpose would it serve to hide something like that from you? They are just friends, just like Trixie is their friend.

The thought looped Trixie back around to her original quandary. …Is it just friendship? Ugh, this would be much easier with something for contrast. She shook her head to clear it from the useless thoughts, it felt heavy. “Trixie is tired… Though she has been tired all day, in hindsight that is not worth mentioning.”

Fluttershy looked up from her meal startled. “Huh? Uhm, no it’s good to say how you feel. We’ll finish up here then get you back to bed, it has been a very exhausting day for everypony.”

“Trixie agrees.” Trixie nodded while she tended to her soup, idly playing with a floating piece of broccoli that bumped into a bit of sliced apple when suddenly, she had an epiphany: Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were not her only friends anymore. That’s right! The Apples! Big Mac and Applejack! They are Trixie’s friends too. So then that means…

…Trixie is so dead.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Wow chapter 50.
I'm not sure what surprises me more:
That I wrote this many of them, or that you read this many of them.:yay:

As a little celebration, this chapter is a bit longer than usual.
The usual 1000 words + 50*50 words(2500) for 3500.
... Okay I admit I'm using numerology levels of logic there, this was not planned at all I just ran with it. >.>

PreviousChapters Next