• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 - Rainbow


“Why that little!” shouted Rainbow Dash, watching the fraudulent loudmouth try to make her escape into the night. Not if she had anything to say about it! She sunk through her hooves for a split second, then kicked off the ground and flared her wings, taking to the skies at top speed in hot pursuit.

“Just let her go,” said Twilight with such peace, that the tone was as surprising to her as the words themselves. Her eyes narrowed as she watched the blue trickster gallop away, the one that put all her friends, no the entire town, in danger. What the hay? She wants me to let her get away with this? Why? Glaring while trying to push down the hot feeling in her veins, she turned her eyes away from the fleeing mare and settled them on her friend for the answer.

Upon seeing her confusion, Twilight continued, “maybe someday she will learn her lesson.” She turned her attention upon the pair of foals that had caused so much trouble, shooting them a look that could burn through a tree. “Now about you two...”

With the town’s attention focused on Twilight and the duo, Rainbow Dash turned her gaze towards the road again. She blinked as Trixie appeared to have vanished somehow before her attention was drawn by a quick-moving silvery blur through the fields, puffing up little clouds of smoke.

Rainbow Dash tilted her head and raised up an eyebrow as she observed the spectacle. “What in Equestria is that pony doing?” She increased the power of her wing beats to fly up higher while down below, she could hear Spike demand he be punished as well with surprising glee.

She shook her head a bit while watching a distant orchid light rush through the forest before it suddenly went out. She could have sworn she'd seen one of the trees shake shortly afterwards. Chuckling to herself, she glanced down at the dispersing gathering below, pondering if she should say something, but shrugged her shoulders. “Eh, I'm sure it can wait.” She took off in a rainbow-colored streak back home to try and salvage what few hours she had left before the scheduled early morning downpour.


Rainbow Dash pushed the last dark cloud into place over Ponyville, raising up a hoof to her mouth to cover an irritated yawn. Whoever was responsible for missing yesterday afternoon’s drizzle had a lot to answer for, making her get up this early.

“Oh right, that was my assignment.” She'd tried to show up Trixie with her instant rainbow stunt, only to get caught in that little cheater’s tornado. Her eyes crossed a bit when she remembered how much trouble she had just trying to keep down her lunch, let alone try to fly and do her job, after that.

With a grumble, she folded her forelegs over her chest and kicked one of clouds. A flash of lightning crackled through it. Glancing towards the Everfree forest, or rather the mass of especially dark clouds that overextended from Ponyville to cover a certain section of the forest, her trademark mischievous grin crept over her face. “Worth it.”

Diving through the clouds, Rainbow Dash swooped down towards the small little hovel right below her. She spotted a small exodus of forest animals all skittering inside the cottage at the behest of what had to be the kindest pony she'd ever met.

“Hey Fluttershy!” Pulling up from her dive just in time to avoid smacking straight into the ground, she skidded to a halt besides her soft spoken friend.

Fluttershy stood beside the doorway of her house, holding it open for a family of mice. “H-hey Rainbow Dash...” A warm smile offered to her friend. “What are you doing here? N-not that you’re not welcome anytime, I mean I'd love to have you visit, I mean that you are visiting, not that you don't usually visit...” She kept tripping over her barely whispered words, only earning herself an amused grin from Rainbow Dash.

“Relax, Fluttershy, I know what you mean.” A brief thought of teasing her friend occurred to her, but it was quickly dismissed. “I just wanted to check on you, you know, with the Ursa and all.”

“Oh... I'm okay. It just charged right past here then floated back a little later. I can't believe somepony woke up that poor sweetheart.”

“Ooh yeah, that poor sweetheart.” She rolled her eyes. “You should have seen it try to eat Snips and Snails, it was just endearing. What the hay is wrong with that Trixie that she would send those two out to find an Ursa just so she can show off? She couldn't even do it!”

Fluttershy leaned down to nudge the last rabbit through the doorway reassuringly. “T-that's just awful. Did she really do that?” Heading inside as well once she was sure no more animals were coming to take shelter, she held the door open. “Uhm, would you like to come in too, Rainbow Dash?”

The first raindrops had begun to fall, darkening her fur into spotted blue. “Yeah sure, I got something good to share anyway.” Following Fluttershy inside, she shut the door behind her. “So you remember I told you about Trixie's show last night, right? Well it gets better: it was a dark and stormy night, just like this one...”

Settling down upon her couch, Fluttershy gave a quick glance outside at the downpour. “...But yesterday we had clear skies all day. Didn't we? I thought that is why you made th—” she got cut off halfway.

“Awh come on, are you trying to ruin the story?” Taking a seat besides Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash gave her a little nudge and flashed a grin. Letting her eyes travel to the window, she gazed at the ominous clouds, but her grin only widened at the sight.

“I'm sorry...” Tilting her head down, she allowed the long pink locks to shelter her. She knew what was coming by the look on her friend’s face.

“So as I was saying...” Rainbow Dash cleared her throat briefly, then resumed in her patented campfire story voice. “It was a dark and stormy night...”

Author's Note:

Don't panic! We'll see Trixie again I'm sure ^^
I'm not quite sure if I am supposed to add every character that appears in the story as a tag or only the character playing the lead.
For now I'll just play it save and add Rainbow+Fluttershy tags.

It was pretty interesting writing this since it's so different from the previous chapters.
Using a different character, containing actual dialogue, spend even more time watching the show to see rainbows reactions and a time-skip.

I was actually completely unsure of how to skip a whole day ahead without doing a new chapter.
Luckily there was a nice lecture on the topic to help me get through it.
http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/53300/lecture-scene-transitions

In other news it recently occured to me that I've been putting these notes in the bottom.
Which means that saying 'I hope you enjoy' doesn't really make sense if it's the last thing you read. Sooo

I hope you had fun reading! ^^

PreviousChapters Next