• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,834 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,834

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43 - Rut

Trixie’s well deserved nap came to an abrupt end. She was not entirely clear on what was actually said as she was asleep for half of it, but Trixie felt she had a fairly good idea just based on the context as she rolled over and groggily looked at the fuming Applejack. Trixie recognized her immediately, the ringleader.

Yawning, Trixie curled back up and pulled the blanket up to her shoulder, though this time she faced Applejack instead of the window. “Sleeping, or at least Trixie was.” She made a gesture with her hoof as though to shoo Applejack away for interrupting her, then closed her eyes again.

“Ah can see that! Ah mean why are ya here?! And get the hay out of there.”

As far as Trixie was concerned she had a right to be there. After all she was pretty sure it was Big Mac that had put her there, and that had to mean it was okay. “What is the big deal? Just go away already if you are not here to take Trixie home, err, to Fluttershy’s home.”

Applejack glared at Trixie and opened her mouth to continue her rant now that Trixie was at least facing her, but paused once she got a better look at the wounded unicorn. Applejack raised a brow. Though the unicorns attitude was still as nerve grating as the day she’d met her there was no denying she looked terrible. “Before that. What happened to yer face?”

“Friendship.” Trixie smiled proudly while she peeked out of one eye at the cowmare. She looked exactly the same as the last time Trixie had seen her, sans the rope hogtie. “Aren’t you glad?”

“Would ya stop speaking in yer gosh darned riddles? Ah reckon ya didn’t just climb in there on a whim.” Applejack jabbed a hoof at her bed, but not quite as eager to kick Trixie out of it now.

“It’s not a riddle. Oh Fine, Trixie forgot who she was speaking to. Your brother, Big Mac, took Trixie here. He’s been bucking all afternoon and Trixie is exhausted.”

Applejacks eyes widened a bit. “D-don’t you speak about my brother like that! He would nevah just, just. W-with a mare he barely met. A-and especially not in mah bed!”

Trixie blinked confused. “What on Equestria are you talking about? The Great and Eloquent Trixie is not sure she can find any smaller words to talk to you with. Just go and fetch your brother, maybe he can interpret for you. Which reminds Trixie, did he not tell you anything?”

Scowling at Trixie, Applejack controlled herself. “No, Ah just came home. Ah saw Big Mac wave but Ah reckoned he was just happy to see we made it back.” Applejack looked out the window. “Looks like he’s headed this way. Ah reckon it’s got to do with this here mess then.”

Applejack headed out of the room and reached for the door, pulling it nearly shut before she looked back. “You stay right there. We’re gonna get to the bottom of this barrel, and then Ah decide if Ah burry you in it or not.” She slammed the door shut.

Trixie winched as the loud slam hurt her ears, nor did it do her headache any favors. Augh, she did that on purpose. The little simpleton. At least that was kind of fun. They can sort this out among themselves. Trixie has a more important task. Smirking softly, Trixie closed her eyes again and nuzzled into her, for the time being, pillow.

In the past week Trixie had gotten to know more beds than she had in her whole life. It was getting to the point where she started to identify distinguishing traits between them. The hospital bed had been rather firm and itchy, while Fluttershy’s was as soft as the pony it was meant for.

What stood out most about this one was the strong apple and hay scent that came off of the pillow and covers. Trixie quite liked it, but also reminded her that she had yet to eat anything and the pillow was starting to smell awfully appetizing.

Through the floor boards Trixie could hear voices rise up. By the sounds of it Big Mac had finally caught up to Applejack, or perhaps more accurately it was the other way around.

“Big Mac! Do ya know anything about that home invader we got upstairs? She claims ya brought her here!”

“Eeyup.”

“Did you get into the cider reserves while Ah was gone? What in the hay is Trixie doing here?! Gosh darnit Ah knew Rainbow was lying! What did ya find her lost in the street and brought her home like some stray cat?”

“Eeyup. Just till y’all came back. She says sh—”

“Wants to go to Fluttershy’s house. Yeah I know. But why mah bed! What’s wrong with yers?”

“Nnnope, it ain’t proper. Ya can’t lay a mare in a stallions bed AJ.”

“Ain’t proper? Ah… well what about Granny’s or Applebloom’s then? Why mine huh? Just because it’s closest to the stairs?”

“Eeyup.”

“And err s-speaking of lay, ya uh, didn’t you know? She’s claiming is all I’m saying…”

It finally struck Trixie what had gotten Applejack so rattled a minute ago, before she could stop herself she burst out into a rib-cracking laughing fit. She could not wait to tell this to Rainbow Dash later, that was sure to get her going aswell. She might have to omit this when telling it to Fluttershy though.

“Darnit Trixie! Don’t ya know it’s rude ta listen in on other ponies conversations! Big Mac, this way.”

Trixie couldn’t hear the voices anymore after that. Perhaps they went into another room? Oh well it was fun while it lasted. Hm wait a minute. If Applejack is here then that must mean the others are back too right? Good Trixie can leave soon then. As fun as it is getting back at that little hayseed, Trixie has something better to do.

It occurred to Trixie that something was missing, she had been thinking a lot and her head was not exploding. Huh, a little rest sure helps. Come to think of it, the problem only really started when I tried to think and move. The doctor did say Trixie was not supposed to, maybe that’s why?

Staring out the window again, Trixie saw the sun was low in the sky. She estimated the night could not be more than an hour away. I wonder if they are home yet… I want to see them.

Below, the voices had become audible again.

“Ya can’t be serious.”

“Eeyup.”

Trixie could hear hooves climb up the staircase, then the door swung open revealing Applejack with Big Mac right behind her. Applejack looked extremely uncomfortable and only moved when she was given a push from behind.

Applejack trotted up to the bed and stared at Trixie for a few moments, then gave another quick look behind her towards Big Mac who did not move an inch. “Fine…” She picked up a pie tin from her back and set it down on the part of the blanket that covered Trixie’s lap.

Trixie blinked and looked down at the Apple-pie in her lap. It smelled positively divine, and was exactly what she’d been craving after the bed had teased her empty stomach. Trixie shifted to prop herself up against the pillow while she stared up at Applejack questioningly.

After taking a deep breath, Applejack spoke up. ”Trixie, Ah am sorry… Ah should not have yelled at a guest. Ah hear ya got one kind of Ponyville hospitality today. Ah reckon we owe it to show you the proper kind. Ah won’t lie. The plan was ta have Big Mac give you this, but I do mean it.”

This was not what Trixie had been prepared for. “B-but, I… Trixie thought you hated her?”

“Ah reckon ya paid yer dues.” Applejack scratched the back of her neck. “Now ah know yer wanting to go see Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, but it just ain’t right to have a guest leave Sweet Apple Acres hungry.”

“So, this is for Trixie?” She pointed down at the Apple-pie.

“Eeyup.” Applejack grinned cheesily as she imitated her big brother. “Think of it as a token of mah apologies to ya, or as just the best darn tooting thing ya’ll ever eat. I warn ya. Think carefully before ya decide to take a bite, Ya ain’t gonna want no other kinda pie ever again.”

Trixie didn’t need any further convincing. It was already hard enough just to keep her eyes on Applejack instead of the warm pie, a growl from her stomach was the final straw. Applejack had been right, this was the best thing Trixie could remember ever eating, with the exception of peanut butter chocolate muffins of course.

After eating half the pie, the crumbs of crust covered her muzzle as Trixie suddenly looked up to Applejack and Big Mac. It had completely slipped her mind there were other ponies in the room while she was stilling her hunger.

Blushing with embarrassment, Trixie wiped her muzzle clean, quickly licking the crumbs off her hoof afterward. “S-sorry. Trixie got a little carried away. It really is good.”

“Well Ah reckon that’s the greatest compliment one can have, so don’t ya worry about it, Trixie.” Applejack smiled.

An affirming nod from Big Mac followed. “Eeyup.”

Trixie became aware of the strangest sensation, it occurred to her she actually had a bit more to say. “Big Mac? Thank you, for, for absolutely everything you did for Trixie. Sorry if Trixie got you in any trouble…” She glanced over at Applejack in that moment. “But you helped Trixie a great deal, and she is… grateful. You don’t mind Trixie waited this long do you?”

“Nnnope.”

Trixie smiled at Big Mac, then turned her attention to his sister. “Applejack?”

Applejack wore a kind expression. “Yes sugarcube?”

“Trixie accepts your apology, and already ate half of it so that’s rather obvious she would think.” Trixie gave a small nod down at the half empty pie tin. ”And, Trixie isn’t sorry for anything.”

“Gosh darn it ya really wanna start this whole thing again?” Applejack rolled her eyes.

Unfazed, Trixie carried on. “Because Trixie does not think she did anything wrong. She answered your questions to the best of Trixie’s ability, even if you were rude about asking them or did not understand Trixie’s reply. Though it is true Trixie lost patience with you toward the end, she only suggested you talk to your brother about it.”

Applejack’s mouth hung open, trying to think of something to retort with. “Yeah well. What about yer rotten attitude?”

“You woke Trixie up. You can’t blame her being a little grumpy.”

“Gah, ya can’t just! Big Mac say something?”

“Nnnope.”

“Big help you are. Okay fine, Ah did not give ya an apology just so Ah would get one in return. If yer done eating we’ll take ya to Fluttershy’s home. Honestly yer a bigger hoof full than a vampire fruit bat infestation.”

“Wait not yet!” Trixie turned her attention back to the half-finished pie with renewed vigor.

A few minutes later they set out.

Big Mac carried Trixie again while Applejack accompanied them, carrying a saddlebag with apples. She said it was because she simply had a delivery to make there, and had something to discuss with Rainbow Dash, but Trixie caught more than a flew glances from Applejack to her and Big Mac. Heh, makes sense. She is his sister after all.

“So, do you often make house calls?”

“Nah, usually folks buy our apple products at the market. Sometimes we get orders ta fill though, them’s busy days Ah tell ya. Fluttershy is a special case, she takes the bruised apples that we can’t sell to ponies off our hooves, and gives them to her animals. Works fer us cause it means we ain’t stuck with them.”

Trixie would have liked to actually have a conversation while they traveled, but she could only fight off the constant fatigue for so long. By the time she woke up the surroundings had changed from endless apple trees to the familiar scenery of Fluttershy’s meadow.

Trixie immediately perked up in excitement as soon as she realized where they were. “We’re here! You can put Trixie down now, thanks for the ride Big Mac.” She slid off his back and with a sideways glance at Applejack, kissed his cheek. “Thank you again, Trixie is fine from here.” Applejacks jaw nearly hit the floor.

Big Mac just remained stoic and nodded. “Eeyup.”

Trixie turned and shakily made her way up the path towards Fluttershy’s house, the setting sun washed the quaint hovel in a warm orange light seeming to beckon the eager unicorn closer. She had finally made it, her heartbeat as rapid as a woodpecker while she hurried up to the door. Finally!

“W-well lets go Big Mac, right now.” She set two hooves against his barrel and tried to push him back towards the road.

“Nnnope.” He raised a hoof to pet his little sister on the head, then nodded towards the house.

Applejack dropped her saddlebags next to the path. “There, Fluttershy will find them just fine. Lets go.” Applejack gave him another push but was met with another nod. She turned around to get another look at what he was going on about. “Just what is so important about her n… Oh.”

Trixie knocked on the door of the dark house, everything seemed off about it. “Fluttershy! Trixie’s home, er back! Fluttershy?” She trotted up to one of the windows and peered inside, all the furniture and birdhouses were still there. But she could not find a single living thing.

Once it hit Trixie she started to see it everywhere, or rather not see it. All of the animals that usually were around or tried to trip her up were gone. “F-Fluttershy? Rainbow Dash?” She took a few unsteady steps back to stare up at the window that she knew led to the bedroom. It was closed. “T-this isn’t funny Rainbow Dash. Trixie is here, you’re supposed to be here. Why aren’t you girls? Where is everypony? I-it’s not fair. Trixie does not want to be alone anymore…” Tears began to well up in her eyes.

Trixie felt a hoof drape over her shoulder and quickly looked back to find Applejack besides her. “It’s okay sugarcube, I reckon them’s just a tad late. Ah know where Fluttershy keeps her spare key so why don’t you wait inside? Ah’ll stay with ya till they get here.” She glanced behind her at Big Mac and raised her voice some. “And Big Mac will go take care of that delivery he neglected to bring a stray home! Ain’t that right?”

“Eeyup.”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Gosh this was a ton of fun to write. Apple Family accents are wonderful to play with.
Let's see how long I can keep this update streak going ey? Aiming for the whole week.

PreviousChapters Next