• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,834 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,834

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32 - Regional

The sun shone through the long since collapsed roof of the throne room, warming the ancient stones, frayed rugs and the pair of ponies laying on top of them. Trixie had eventually been convinced to reluctantly let go of Fluttershy, however she did not mind their new position.

It was similar to the time she made up with her, both of them laying on their stomach side to side against each other, and one yellow wing draped over Trixie’s back. Trixie rested her head against Fluttershy’s mane while she listened to her talk.

“And that is why they became known as star-spider, kind of interesting that it has nothing to do with their mark isn’t it? They actually got those marks later in recognition.” Fluttershy smiled warmly while she recounted the tale.

Trixie nodded slightly while she stared at the crude drawing etched out in the dust, it was an illustration of a star-spider Fluttershy had made. A smile unfaltering on her face while she listened, wishing she had thought of something so obvious sooner.

“The animals here?” Fluttershy visibly lit up. “Oh there so many kinds. But this deep in the forest it is hard to find them. I think the only animals here are probably bats, oh and the star-spiders. I do not think they are very active this time of year though.”

“I-is that so, why is that?” Trixie felt something soft pressing down on her back and blinked giving a quick glance backwards, discovering a butter-yellow wing resting on top of her tattered cape. She gave a quick look towards Fluttershy, and was met with that warm smile.

“Well, that’s a long story.” Fluttershy winked, and let her wing press down while she sank through her legs guiding both ponies down to rest upon the carpet. One hoof reached forward to edge a spider like shape in the dirt cover the tile floor just beyond it, giving Trixie something to avert her gaze too. “You see the spiders, much like many animals, go through different periods of activity with the seasons. For example...”

Trixie stared down at the crudely drawn spider, grateful for having an excuse not to look Fluttershy in the face for a little while. She listened while Fluttershy told her all about the Star-spider seasons, personalities, and environmental effect. Trixie was sure many such other lectures could have followed, only requiring Trixie to name an animal to have Fluttershy tell her everything there was to know about it.

Heh, she never needed a lesson in storytelling at all. She just needs the right subject. At least I learned something.

If it was up to Trixie she would have just stayed there and listened to that soft enchanting voice the rest of the day. She knew she could not stall for time indefinitely though, even if Fluttershy was never going to push her. Trixie had gotten enough time to recollect herself again.

“Fluttershy? Thank you for sharing that with Trixie. Trixie thinks she can tell you now.” Trixie fidgeted nervously, her eyes lifting up from the spider to Fluttershy.

“Oh, are you sure? You don’t have to if you don’t want to, Trixie.” Fluttershy was already looking at her, their met for the first time since Fluttershy had revealed a bit of her and Rainbow Dash’s past.

“Yes, it’s only fair do you not agree? You’ve told Trixie about your childhood friend, it is merely appropriate Trixie tells you about hers.”

“Uhm, I don’t see how… I mean… yes please go ahead.”

Trixie nodded. “Her name was Flitter Bouquet. The truth is, you remind Trixie of her. She used to be timid and shy. We met in magic school, second day of it actually. She did not have any friends and was drawn to Trixie’s natural stage presence, Trixie thought she wanted to have some of Trixie rub off on her.”

Fluttershy’s face turned a shade of pink, but she said nothing.

“P-presence, some of Trixie’s stage presence!” Trixie looked away as though the entire thing was beneath her, she still stole a sideways glance. “Don’t look at Trixie like that, she was just a filly.”

Trixie coughed and cleared her throat, doing her best to suppress her embarrassment. ”It may surprise you, but Trixie was not always proficient in unicorn magic. Flitter was more advanced in magic at the time than Trixie, but she lacked the confidence to show it off. It was funny actually, do you know what that timid ponies magic talent was? Fireworks, the kind of magic designed to draw attention.” She chuckled softly while she stared at nothing for a moment, remembering that uncomfortable adorable look on Flitter’s face when she admitted to it.

“Oh, I can imagine how she must have felt. Did you help her?”

“The Great and Benevolent Trixie did, in return she helped Trixie get a working understanding of magic. Naturally Trixie’s talent bloomed quickly, however it was more difficult to teach Flitter. She often relied on Trixie to do things for her, not that Trixie minded, so we spend much time together. Trixie decided to teach by example, and tried to encourage Flitter to follow suit.”

“That sounds difficult. What kind of things did she need you for?”

“Huh? Oh uhm for instance she was too shy to get in line for lunch, or just let other ponies go ahead of her. Which meant Trixie would have to lunch alone if she did not help her. Sometimes bullies. That kind of thing. Even if she was a slow learner, we had much fun together.”

Fluttershy smiled warmly as she listened. The similarities made it so easy for her to connect.

”Flitter was a good listener and Trixie a good talker. Trixie always had amazing stories to tell and Flitter helped her improve them. Back then Trixie did not have an audience yet, so Trixie was grateful to Flitter for always hearing her out. At the end of our talks Trixie would thank her for listening and, uhm.” She paused and looked up at Fluttershy somewhat unsurely.

“Why did you stop? Did I do something wrong?” Fluttershy looked worried.

“No, but, well… Trixie just wants to emphases this was perfectly normal where Trixie came from.”

“Okay?”

“Trixie would kiss Flitter, on her cheek.”

Fluttershy blinked then blushed. “A-and that was normal there, even back then? Uhm t-that’s great, I-I mean not that it’s bad here but uh, it’s not that ‘open’ even now. I mean well… Showing interest in another filly in front of your whole school? I guess you really were a good choice to learn confidence from.”

Trixie stared at Fluttershy uncomprehendingly for a moment, then once she realized it her cheeks burned. “What? N-no, no Fillyfooling, just kissing like that. It’s a sign of friendship, but Trixie learned it has different meanings in different areas.”

“Oh, is it? I’m sorry. Up in Cloudsdale only family members or special someponies would do that.” Fluttershy looked up at the sky as she spoke as if she expected to see the cloud city up above. She contemplated on the idea for a moment then looked back to Trixie with a smile. “I did not know it would be something filly’s elsewhere did because they were friends, I think it’s sweet.”

Trixie returned the smile. “Trixie thinks so too, however there was something she did not take into account. Trixie’s magic school was in Hoofington, but before that Trixie lived in St. Petershoof.”

“What difference does that make?”

“Well Trixie noticed Flitter would never return the gesture, she would just sit there and blush. At the time Trixie thought it was because she was shy. But they, uh, might not have had the same customs, it never really occurred to Trixie at the time.” Trixie coughed embarrassed while she suddenly found that spider drawing awfully interesting again to look at.

Fluttershy giggled softly and shook her head. “Well, did Flitter ever try to uhm ‘correct’ you on that? If it’s okay to ask that is.”

Trixie shrugged. “Trixie does not remember. So probably not.”

“M-maybe she was too shy to say anything?” Fluttershy offered.

“No.” Trixie said grimly, “she got over that eventually. Trixie remembers that very well.”

Fluttershy went quiet with the sudden shift in tone.

Trixie stared down at the star-spider drawing. “It was all just some stupid trick, as soon as she had actually learned a bit on how to be assertive she turned on Trixie. Maybe the custom was not different at all, and she just did not return it because she did not feel we were friends to begin with. Trixie thought she had done something wrong, as unlikely as that was, but whenever Trixie tried to make it up to Flitter she rejected it. Until Trixie took the hint, she’d just been using Trixie.”

“…I-I’m sorry. Are you okay, Trixie?” Fluttershy leaned down gently so she could look at Trixie’s face, letting her wing stroking along her back reassuringly.

With a grin Trixie raised her head to look at Fluttershy. “Of course Trixie is alright, it was so many years ago that Trixie is over it. Besides, the deal was to trade magic for courage and we each held up our end of the bargain. She just threw in an extra lesson, so Trixie came out ahead really. Don’t you think? It does not take away the fun times, it really does not…” Trixie felt it was so easy to say and sound convinced, after all she had practiced on herself over and over.

“Oh uhm, if you are sure. I can’t imagine how I would feel if that happened…” Fluttershy looked down at the tiles, a shiver ran over her back at the thought of Rainbow Dash turning on her like that.

Trixie smiled and nudged her muzzle against Fluttershy’s neck. “Come on you don’t get to be the one that’s depressed. It is nowhere near as bad as it sounds really. Even so, Trixie never told anyone before. It feels good to get to talk about it finally.”

Fluttershy was nudged out of her nightmarish thoughts, giving an appreciative glance at Trixie. “Sorry, you’re right. I just, I knew it was not going to have a happy ending when you started, but it got so sweet at the middle I got my hopes up anyway.”

“Sweet? Oh, I see.” Trixie blushed and chuckled. “Well that is just the mark of a genius story teller such as the Great and Powerful Trixie!” She grinned pleased, then brought her volume back down. “But seriously, Fluttershy? Thank you for listening.” Trixie leaned in and gave Fluttershy a kiss on her cheek, hearing a soft gasp from the timid mare.

Some soft thuds sounded nearby and something bumped against Trixie’s leg, her eyes sweeping down towards it. A muffin? Where did that come from? Trixie let her gaze follow the path of crumbs till it settled on a ripped paper bag, several more baked goods had spilled out of it. Standing over the bag, staring open mouthed directly at Trixie, was Rainbow Dash.

“This is not what it looks like!” Trixie immediately called out.

Cause THAT always works.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

You know for a pony that is aware of story tropes like Trixie, you would think she'd be better at avoiding them.
I guess it's like trying not to hit a tree when you are crashing, looking directly at the tree will make you crash into it.

PreviousChapters Next