• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,804 Views, 2,738 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,738
 7,804

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21 - Reverb

Trixie galloped over the path through the Everfree Forest, her cape billowing impressively on her back. She could hear Fluttershy’s hoofsteps behind her, telling her the mare had no problem keeping up with her. It actually stung her a little to realize that Fluttershy, with saddlebags and all, was keeping up with her while she was running as fast as she could. Maybe she was not as recovered as she had previously thought. She did her best to push the thought from her mind, trying to dwell instead on how fortunate it was she did not need to wait. It was not working that well.

Since when is this about Trixie? Find Rainbow Dash. She finally managed to think of something else, but was not much better. At least she was back on track, trying to think of what she should say once she found the pegasus.

If Fluttershy was right, had all those stupid jokes and pranks been because Rainbow Dash felt guilty? Trixie had not even really considered the blue airhead might have feelings of her own. It was not really her fault though was it? For the first days she only considered Rainbow a terrifying monster, and even after that she was at best annoying with her constant presence. Wasn’t she?

Just what changed there anyway? She was going to kill Trixie in Fluttershy’s home one moment, and settles for pranks the next? It did not make any sense for the monster she’d made Rainbow into to act that way. Was she ever going to do anything? Was the whole point just to make Trixie as scared as Fluttershy?

Trixie was pulled out of her musings by catching a whiff of something truly awful, struggling to keep down the breakfast that Fluttershy had prepared for her. Luckily the scent passed quickly. Thinking about Fluttershy, Trixie suddenly noticed something important. When had her hoofsteps stopped?

She quickly turned her head to look behind her, checking for Fluttershy. Greatly surprised by the sight that greeted her, Fluttershy was still right behind her. There could not be more than a few meters between them, and she could clearly see every hoof strike the ground, yet she could not hear them.

“Fluttershy?” Trixie called out while running, discovering she could still hear herself just fine.

Fluttershy did not respond much when spoken too, she just gave her a curious look. Fluttershy looked like a fish while she mimed something. “…” Not a single word reached Trixie’s ears.

Trixie dug her hooves into the road, skidding to a halt. “What is going on here? Fluttershy can you hear Trixie?” Looking around, Trixie found the forest seemed different. Here and there between the trees and wild growth she could make out hewn stone, though mere ruined fragments of what they might have once been.

“…” The only response from Fluttershy, though she was clearly moving her lips. She could see the panic spreading across the mares face. Who knew how long Fluttershy had been aware of the lack of sound and calling out to the Galloping and Oblivious Trixie?

From the corner of her eye she could see Fluttershy’s dead silent approach, it sent chills down her back. Suddenly, she could hear the hoofsteps again as if they had never been gone. She could even hear her panting for breath after the long gallop. “Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy startled at the sudden noise. “Trixie? You can hear me now?”

“Yes. That’s strange… Stay there.” Trixie said, before she galloped a few circles around Fluttershy. “Can you still hear me?”

“Uhm, yes? Can you hear me?” Fluttershy did her best to follow Trixie while she circled but soon her eyes spun in their sockets, and she lay down to get the world to steady.

Trixie came to a halt raising a hoof to her muzzle while she pondered. Something had to have triggered the muted sound, but she was not sure what. Perhaps it was a spell, another one of the supposed natural things of the forest, or a very impressive Rainbow Dash prank.

She perked up her ears. “Wait… do you hear what Trixie hears?”

“Hear what?” Fluttershy looked puzzled.

“Exactly! Perfect silence, but look.” Trixie pointed to the rustling leafs above them. “We should definitely be able to hear that right?”

Fluttershy looked up at the branches, watching the wind play with them silently. “…Yes. Trixie do you thi—…”

Trixie grinned triumphantly at the muted Fluttershy, standing a few steps further away. So that’s it, what a strange thing. She walked closer again. “It’s distance, Fluttershy. Trixie does not know why, yet, but the sound stops after a few steps.”

With the mystery at least a little better understood, Trixie turned her attention back on the road. “As fascinating as this might be, it poses no threat if we stay close… Trixie feels we should keep going and find Rainbow Dash.”

Fluttershy nodded while the two of them resumed their trip, staying side by side this time. “This is… Not so bad actually. Just peace and quiet… Deep inside the most dangerous forest on Equestria.” She shivered and picked up the pace.

Trixie could not help but smile. Sure it was a bit weird to have the forest be so quiet, but now that she thought about it this might not be the first time she experienced it. Perhaps they were close to the area she had gotten lost in before, which also had to mean the scene of her meeting with Rainbow Dash was around here somewhere. She shook her head, trying to clear the fragmented flashbacks that came to her mind at the memory.

They kept a brisk pace between the two of them, trotting side by side through the forest. A smile spread across Trixie’s face, just allowing herself to enjoy the moment while it lasted. Pretty soon they would stumble across Rainbow Dash sulking in a tree or something and Trixie could have her talk. She knew somewhere in her mind she should be more worried about that meeting, but it seemed awfully difficult to worry about anything with Fluttershy so close by.

There was just one complaint Trixie had, the return of that horrid smell. It was much stronger now, even forming wisps of green vapor in the air over the next section of the path. It made their eyes water and Fluttershy froze solid. Trixie coughed, nearly retching. “Ughh, Trixie is going to be sick. What on Equestria is that horrible stench?”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Chapter 21, you know I meant to make big deal out of chapter 20. But I might have somewhat sort of forgotten. >.>
Anyways, wow. My thanks to all of you fine folks reading right now, for giving me all the more reason to keep writing.
I'd still write it if it was just me, but that warm fuzzy feeling you folks add is a great bonus. ^^

the story now has a new tag. I don't think it will be a surprise to anyone.

PreviousChapters Next