• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13 - Regret


Trixie set down plates upon the table. “Trixie has actually been looking forward to this for a while now.”

“Oh… What do you mean?” asked Fluttershy while she carried a wooden plank with fresh bread over.

“Eating at a table, with company. It's funny, Trixie once thought breakfast in bed would be a great thing, but she tired from it quickly.” She glanced at the bread and licked her lips while she took in the scent. “Also solid food, glorious solid food.”

Fluttershy scraped a hoof along the floor. “U-uhm… Nurse Redheart said you couldn't have any for a day…”

“Oh, Trixie supposes that makes sense. Honestly, Trixie does not think she would have liked to chew anything with her head being on fire like that. How about you?”

“Uhm… No,” Fluttershy said.

Trixie waited briefly for the pony to say anything else while they decked the table, but when nothing came, she gave another shot at inviting the conversation. “So… do you like it here in Ponyville?”

Fluttershy gave a small nod while she brought a knife to the table. She dropped the knife next to the bread plank. “…Yes.”

“That's good… Do you often pick up stray ponies you find in a forest? Trixie has to wonder.” Trixie gave put on a somewhat forced smile while she tried to coax more of a conversation out of the cripplingly shy mare. Why does she have to be so difficult?

“Oh, no.” Fluttershy broke her gaze away from Trixie.

Trixie raised a brow as another attempt was shot down, then paused. She recalled stumbling across another way to get Fluttershy to speak more during the saddlebag incident. Perhaps that was worth another shot. Trixie raised her eyes up for a moment with a contemplative look, then uttered an overly dramatic gasp. “So Trixie could have eaten properly for two days already!” Her gaze returned to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy lowered her head and hid behind her mane as Trixie stared down at her. “W-well it… it’s just… I didn't I… I uhm.” Fluttershy shook on her hooves while she spoke.

Trixie rose her fore hooves off the ground, balancing on her hind-legs. “The Great and Powerful Trixie! For three whole days was given nothing but soup! Because you thought you should second guess a professional?” She towered over the quaking mare.

“I-I…” Fluttershy ducked to the floor, her eyes covered with her hooves. Words had left her voice all together and caused her to merely utter a soft adorable squeak.

Trixie's ears perked up as she listened to the odd sounds Fluttershy made while cowering beneath her. She stared down on the shaking Fluttershy and felt a tinge of regret stab her. “Trixie will tell you what she thinks about that!” She brought down her hooves on either side of Fluttershy's head gently then stroked the pink mane Fluttershy hid behind aside with her muzzle. “The best soup Trixie ever had.” She lowered her voice to match the soft-spoken pegasus and flashed her an impish smile.

Fluttershy lifted her hooves from her tear-struck face, staring at Trixie for a couple seconds, whose smile quickly faltered upon the sight. “Y-you're as bad G-Gilda.” Fluttershy's voice was barely above a whisper.

Trixie's chest felt two sizes too small while she stumbled away, struggling for something to say. The feeling was so strange to her. Why did she feel so terrible for her little prank? All she wanted was to get some response out of the shy mare, but not like this.

Fluttershy slipped out from under Trixie, avoiding her gaze while she ran out the front door and took flight.

Trixie ran after her, but froze in the doorway, unable to follow after her. “I- Trixie, Trixie did not mean too…”

She looked up after Fluttershy. Even outside, she seemed to stick to that almost floating method of flying. She was so much slower than Rainbow Dash, but it still only took a moment for her to vanish into one of the clouds above. Trixie turned back towards the half set table, slowly walking nearer. “Stupid Trixie! Why did Trixie have to tease her again?”

Trixie stomped her hoof against the kitchen floor, closing her eyes tightly. How was she supposed to know Fluttershy would take the joke so badly? She was grounded… If she flew, then Trixie… Trixie really messed up.

Feeling something warm streak across her face, Trixie lifted up a hoof to swipe at it. Opening her eyes, Trixie found her vision blurred by her own tears. It confused her why this was so painful. She was more than used to reducing ponies to tears on stage.

Trixie sat down by the table looking at the half finished setup of what should have been her best meal in days. Somehow, it did not seem at all appealing anymore. Trixie does not understand… it was just a joke. Why would she react like that?

Despite all of Trixie's efforts, she failed to understand what had happened exactly. Her best results still ended up at the fact she'd hurt Fluttershy, and for some reason, she just could not shake the thought at all of her crying face.

“Maybe Trixie should… get things ready… for when she comes back.” Trixie got up from the table and made her way into the kitchen. She carried out a bowl of fresh cut grass and flowers to put beside the bread.

The work distracted her for a little while, but soon enough she found herself stretching to find anything else to put on the table. “Water pitcher, berries, a carrot, another empty bowl in case she wants nothing… All that's missing is…”

Trixie turned her head towards the door, half expecting to have Fluttershy walk through right on cue, but the moment stretched out gradually to an awkward staring contest with the doorknob. Finally Trixie tore her gaze away. She placed one foreleg across the table, then rested her head on top with a sigh. Her free hoof rose up to tap herself on the head sullenly.

Maybe… Trixie should try to find her? But she flew up into the clouds, Trixie does not know any spells that can do that. Besides, what would happen if Trixie went looking, and Fluttershy came back when Trixie was gone? Trixie scratched through her mane, considering that maybe she should never have gotten out of that bed.

She was not sure how much time had passed when her ears perked up, catching the sound of wing beats outside. Quickly she got up from the table and made her way to the door to welcome Fluttershy back.

But something did not feel right, Trixie halted halfway across the room. It did not sound at all like the light hovering wing beats that had left. These were much faster, stronger strokes. The sounds of wings suddenly ceased. It was exchanged for hooves that crashed strongly into the dirt road, skidding through it, and knocking aside the pebbles, followed immediately by ever louder galloping.

Trixie could sense her body starting to shake while she backed away from the door, her ears pinning flat. Trixie's eyes widened while she stared at the door. “Oh no…”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed.

At the moment I'm working on finding a couple proofreaders/editors to help me out.
If anyone reading this story happens to be interested in that, please let me know cause that would be fantastic.
Course I am approaching proofreader groups the conventional way too.

PreviousChapters Next