• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 100 - Restoration


As always, Fluttershy proved to be a wonderful listener, and had allowed Trixie to finish unopposed. Not even recounting the tale of Angel’s attempt of burning down the house had gotten any argument out of Fluttershy, but it did provoke a quick promise to have a talk with him about it the next time Fluttershy found him. She only interrupted now and then to ask for clarification, especially when Trixie was attempting to explain why Derpy was being completely irrational.

By then, Trixie was not quite so sure she was in the right anymore; Fluttershy’s shocked expressions during her attempts to help Derpy had already shaken her confidence, even before Fluttershy asked a few damning follow-up questions, such as ‘did you try, uhm, not yelling at her?’

With her 'defense' for her behavior with Derpy being picked apart, Trixie decided a change of topic might be best. She quickly brought the topic around to sharing her concerns on what might happen once her recovery was sufficient, that the Mayor would have her arrested. Although Fluttershy did not appear to take Trixie’s fear of an unfair trial very seriously, apparently fully convinced justice would be served, like the sweet naïve pony she was.

Finally, Trixie arrived at the most disturbing matter. As she told Fluttershy all about the imminent attack she was expecting from Ponyville now that Derpy would have told them Trixie’s location. Strangely, it had not seemed to phase Fluttershy much. In an attempt to impart the horror, Trixie dramatically tried describe the scene of angry ponies, carrying pitchforks and torches, storming their little cottage and dragging Trixie to a pyre.

“And they will set it on fire and chant some weird earth pony tradition chant about burning witches!” Trixie waved her hooves around franticly.

Fluttershy’s expression had slowly been changing while Trixie explained, and she looked away from Trixie as she started to shake. Clearly she was finally getting the idea, though Trixie had disliked needing to be so detailed on such a gruesome subject with her. But, to Trixie’s complete surprise, Fluttershy rung out the cutest little giggle, and tried to hide her muzzle in her hooves. Her shoulders gently shook with laughter, despite Fluttershy's best attempts at containing them.

Stunned, Trixie uncomprehendingly blinked at Fluttershy for several seconds before giving her a harsh glare. Fluttershy was much too relaxed, giggling even. Trixie had expected Fluttershy to panic, so she’d tried to down play the danger initially, but she’d never have expected to be laughed at! These were big issues! Why was she laughing!?

“You are not taking Trixie seriously at all!”

“Oh,” Fluttershy suppressed another giggle to the best of her abilities, “S-sorry. I-it’s just, I thought you were kidding… Where did you, erm, get those ideas?”

“Get them? This is what happens! Everypony knows that! We have to get out of here, maybe hide out at the Apples, or run away. Something like that?” She couldn’t believe this was even a question.

“So, uhm, how many ponies have you seen b-burned at the stake?” Fluttershy winced a little just at the notion.

“Trixie’s seen over—uh…. Well… Trixie’s… heard about it?” As she spoke, Trixie looked out the window, checking for any late arriving angry mobs, and, more importantly, avoiding Fluttershy's gaze.

From the corner of her eye, Trixie saw Fluttershy staring at the couple of books that she’d deemed safe enough not to hide from her. “You’ve… heard about it? How many cases can you recall specifically?”

“T-that’s not important. Why does it matter how many Trixie can name off the top of her head?”

Fluttershy spread out one wing and ran a primary feather over the spine of a book in the middle of the pile. “And, uhm, what about stories?”

A blazing fire seemed to rise up through Trixie’s neck as she came to realize what Fluttershy was aiming at, and the worst part was she couldn’t really argue with it. “A-a couple, maybe. Look, just because it happens in books and stories doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen in real life!”

Fluttershy flinched and snapped her wings back to her sides, quickly shaking her head. “N-no, of course it may have happened once, somewhere, but… I just don’t think anypony in Ponyville ever would.”

Trixie crossed her forelegs over her chest and frowned. “What about the ponies that tried to attack Trixie? Who knows what they’d have done to Trixie if Big Mac hadn’t been there.”

Hiding behind her mane, Fluttershy whispered, “y-you think they’d have burned you?”

“Well… uh, no...” Trixie admitted. “But, they could have k-killed Trixie.” An involuntary tremor ran through her body as she thought back to how frightening it had been, how helpless she’d felt. Biting back tears, she directed her attention to Fluttershy again. “If…if it was just Trixie… that’d be one thing, Trixie might escape, but what if… what if they decide to take care of the other ‘witch’ while they are here?”

Fluttershy tilted her head confusedly. “Uhm, I’m sorry. What do you mean?” Trixie just stared at Fluttershy meaningfully, causing Fluttershy to wilt and lay her ears flat. “…Oh… Did Rainbow Dash tell you?” After receiving an affirming nod, she sighed. “S-she shouldn’t have done that…”

“Trixie, erm, outwitted her. She didn’t intend to tell Trixie. It’s just Trixie, uh, deduced it, then tricked her into telling the rest an—” Trixie’s rambling halted as she saw Fluttershy smile at her.

“I-it’s okay. You don’t have to cover for her. I’m sure she only told because she thought it was better if you heard it from her. It’s, uh, silly, isn’t it?” Fluttershy gave an awkward, sad chuckle. “But… since you know now… It was never any secret where I was, and, well… Nopony has ever tried to come here to hurt me, so…” she trailed off and just looked at Trixie.

“…You’re saying Trixie will be safe here, because if they were too scared to come here and deal with just one ‘witch’ all this time, then there’s no way they’d try to tangle with two?” Although the idea was completely outrageous, Trixie found the notion that the town's ponies were as scared of her and Fluttershy as she was of them, strangely comforting.

“Oh! No no.” Fluttershy franticly waved her hooves while shaking her head as though she were physically fighting the concept off. “I just mean the ponies aren’t as bad as you think. N-not that they are scared of me—us, of us. They’re just nice. Or, uhm, nicer.”

Eyebrows raised, Trixie truly doubted any claim that the ponies were any nicer than she gave them credit for. She had witnessed their darkness first hoof after all, such as how quickly they could turn on a pony, even their own fellow townsponies.

Still, she couldn’t bring herself to go kicking against whatever delusion Fluttershy had convinced herself to interpret their actions as; it was obviously some sort of coping mechanism. “…Yes, of course. How silly of Trixie. They are just good ponies who’d never try to lead some kind of witchhunt.” She forced a laugh and waved a hoof dismissively. “Trixie doesn’t even know why she was thinking that before.”

Tilting her head, Fluttershy sat stunned with a confused look on her face for a couple of seconds, ending with just a smile and nod. “Oh, uh, good. So, uhm… are you okay now? About the pyre I mean?”

“Yes, thank you. Trixie just needed a, uh, alternative view on the situation…” Sure, it had not been exactly how Trixie had pictured the outcome of the conversation, but she had to admit she was feeling much better with this new outlook on her life. Even if it hadn’t really been her intention to be feared, and the prospect worried her a little in terms of getting anything done later. In particular, she could think of at least one pony who was clearly afraid of her, that shouldn’t be. “So, what do you think about Derpy?”

“Well… She seems afraid of you, now.” Something in Trixie’s face must have betrayed that the comment hurt, as Fluttershy quickly rambled on, “b-but that’s okay! It’s only a, uh, misunderstanding, right? So you just need to talk to her.”

Trixie groaned, exasperated. “That’s what Trixie has been trying to do all this time. It doesn’t work! How is Trixie supposed to tell her anything if she just keeps thinking Trixie’s mad at her!? If she’d relax this wouldn’t be so excruciating!”

“T-Trixie? I, uhm, know you’re frustrated, but, erm, could you maybe… not… yell? If you don’t mind, that is?” Fluttershy asked, mostly hidden behind her mane. To her credit, she managed to remain on the couch, despite Trixie’s outburst.

“Uh, right. S-sorry. It’s just… Trixie hates this… She tried to talk to her several times, but it always backfires somehow.” Trixie slumped against the back pillow of the couch, laying her head back to stare up at the ceiling. She loathed herself for scaring Fluttershy too, but it was difficult to pay attention to how she spoke sometimes. It had never been a problem before, or at least not one that Trixie had cared about.

“It’s okay.” Fluttershy soothed. Thoughtfully tapping her hoof against her chin while she pondered, Fluttershy mused quietly, “a dark alley, the hospital, the edge of the Everfree Forest…”

Perking up one ear, Trixie glanced over at Fluttershy. “What?”

“Oh, I was just thinking… It might not be entirely your fault—I-I mean, uhm, not that it is mostly your fault, or, uhm, no, I’m not saying it is b-but,” Fluttershy stuttered, and pointed to the door. “I-I just mean, you never met Derpy somewhere that she felt comfortable; all three of those places are kind of scary all on their own, right?”

With a twitch of her eyebrow, a tinge of annoyance sparked inside Trixie, but it mostly died when Fluttershy actually offered an interesting point. “Go on.” Her curiosity piqued, she quickly sat up straight.

“Well… Maybe it would be better if you spoke to her somewhere she felt safe? If she’s in her comfort zone, she won’t panic so easily, and you could apologize to her?” Fluttershy gave a hopeful smile.

“That… could work.” Trixie returned the smile. “Yes, yes! It’s genius. Trixie just has to talk to her when she’s comfortable!” Of course it had been a brilliant idea to talk to Fluttershy about how to deal with a scared pony, she had tons of experience! “Thanks, Fluttershy. Oh, but, where? This is the most comforting place Trixie knows, and it didn’t work.”

A blush shimmering through, Fluttershy nodded. “I-I’m happy you think so, Trixie. Uhm, well… Derpy doesn’t, y-you know, live here? Maybe we could go and visit her at her home? I’m, uh, pretty sure she doesn’t have a cloud home, because of Dinky.”

“Right! A pony would naturally feel more secure at home—“ Trixie paused, although these days she often considered this place to be her home, and really wanted it to be, she knew deep down that it wasn’t, it was solely Fluttershy’s; Trixie merely recovered there in lieu of the hospital. However, had Fluttershy just let on that she considered this Trixie’s home too? A warm feeling ignited in her chest, and quickly fanned out upward to her cheeks. A lovely, glowing emotion left her happily grinning like a complete idiot. She could feel her tail attempting to wag a little, and did her best to squish the urge down. Despite her best efforts, Trixie failed, and she hoped Fluttershy didn't notice what her rebellious tail was trying to indicate. She worked to at least sound natural as she continued the conversation. “T-Trixie approves of this plan! So, where does Derpy live?”

“I’m not sure…” Fluttershy’s tone of voice felt a little off, and she preemptively hunkered down on the couch. “But, I’m sure that Mayor Mare would know?”

It was as though a bucket of ice water had been dropped on Trixie, chilling her to the core as she gave Fluttershy a look of disbelief. “W-what? Trixie can’t ask her! Haven’t you been listening? She’s the one that’s trying to have Trixie arrested or locked up or something!”

Surprisingly, Fluttershy didn’t shy away as Trixie ranted, giving her an empathetic look instead. “D-don’t you think that, uhm, i-it’s better to… get it over with? At least you’d know what the, err, ‘result’ is. You’re just eating yourself up over it now… I—I just think you’d be happier.”

“Happier? But, what if Trixie is thrown in jail? Or banished? Or burned!? Or, or—” In the middle of listing off her nightmares, Trixie’s breath caught as she suddenly felt Fluttershy pull her into a hug.

Holding Trixie in a warm embrace, Fluttershy was so close to Trixie that even her whispered voice was loud and clear. “—or what if you just have to pay a fine? Or do a little community service? Or promise not to lie again? If you turn yourself in, that might even help.” She slackened her grip, pulling away just enough so she could lock eyes with Trixie. “W-won’t you please consider it?”

Trixie should have loudly protested, to push Fluttershy away and scold her naivety, but instead all she could do was return the hug. While Trixie was held snugly in her embrace, for some reason it was impossible to think of all the fears she’d had a moment ago. All she cared about was the sweet mare that made her heart beat so rapidly that her only fear was that it might explode.

After inadvertently assaulting Fluttershy in the kitchen, Trixie was sure Fluttershy wouldn’t be comfortable with having her close again for a long time, if ever. Rarely had she been so glad to be wrong.

Trixie could feel Fluttershy’s warm breath on her lips, she was so close, and staring almost expectedly at her. It would be so easy to just inch forward a tiny bit.

“Trixie?”

N-No! Snap out of it, Trixie! With every ounce of willpower she possessed, Trixie forced herself to stay put. She couldn’t make the same mistake twice, betraying Fluttershy’s trust and pushing her boundaries again. As she wound down, she became vaguely aware she was supposed to be giving an answer, and slowly nodded. “Y-yes… b-but only for you, Fluttershy.”

Blushing, Fluttershy shot Trixie a delighted smile. “T-that’s wonderful. Oh, I just knew you’d be brave. N-now, uhm, i-is there anything else you want? T-to talk about, I mean.”

Without thinking, Trixie eagerly nodded. There definitely was something Trixie could think of that she wanted! After the clarification registered with her, she faltered. She could perhaps still venture to ask about it, but she was scared of pushing Fluttershy too far too quickly. “T-the Great and Fearless Trixie, uhm, w-would liiike,” she drawled while her eyes darted across the room, looking for an excuse until they settled on the table. “To know what this l-letter is about! Yes, that!” She pointed to the simple, folded letter that had come with her books. “It’s for you. Trixie didn’t read all of it—didn’t read it! Trixie means she didn’t read it!”

If only she wasn’t such a magnificent liar, then maybe Fluttershy wouldn’t have released her to go get the letter. At least the look of concentration on her face while she read the letter was cute. “Oh, it’s from Twilight. She says Rainbow Dash asked for your books, and she is sending them here. Uh, oh, I guess you knew that already, sorry.”

Trixie just smiled impishly. “There may have been some subtle hints Trixie has picked up on.” Talking to Fluttershy had worked out much better than she thought it would. Although she was not exactly thrilled with her suggestion to turn herself in, it made a certain amount of sense. If any other option presented itself however, Trixie had little doubt she’d go with whatever it was instead.

A content smile found its way to Trixie’s lips when she found the most pressing worries in her mind were now much more manageable ones like ensuring she figured out something fun to do with Fluttershy, how much she missed having Dashie interrupting her every five seconds, and some looming sense that she’d have to figure out how to make a living at some point. Maybe she’d share that last one later, there was no rush.

Giggling softly, Fluttershy read on, showing a puzzled frown. “Oh… uhm, Trixie. Did you have any, uh… weird books?” She looked at Trixie over the edge of the letter.

With her face set ablaze Trixie stuttered and stumbled, embarrassed to death that Twilight would mention such a thing in the letter. “N-no! Of course not! M-maybe some um, reading material unfit for foals, but that isn’t weird! A-and Trixie is sure Twilight has some too!”

Fluttershy blinked, and glanced at the letter again. “Oh, okay, it’s just that she says she gave all the books back, except one that had a ‘weird magic field’. She just wants to run some tests first. Uhm, also… There were… ones that were destroyed beyond r-repair, I’m sorry, Trixie… Twilight did her best, but they didn’t all survive.”

A weak, involuntary chuckle rose from Trixie’s throat before she even became fully aware of it. “Hehe… what?” She must have misheard, it couldn’t be true, not now.

Passing the note to Trixie, Fluttershy got off the couch, offering an encouraging smile. “Oh, please don’t worry. I’m sure Twilight will be able to help you find copies of the books you liked,” Fluttershy said, then made her way into the kitchen. “I’ll get lunch started, or, uhm, finished? Could you set the table, please?”

It was a fair bit past lunch time already, but her rumbling stomach was the least of Trixie’s worries as she made some vague affirming noise while snatching up the letter.


Dear Fluttershy,

You are probably wondering right about now why there is such a big package on your doorstep.

You see, a couple of days ago, Rainbow Dash crashed through my window visited the library, and requested I ‘fork over’ what remained of the books recovered from the stage wagon that was destroyed during the Ursa Minor attack.

Naturally, my first instinct was to check her for any concussions with her if I had understood her correctly.

The books had been delivered to the library, though how she came to be aware of this, and why she wanted them, I do not know. Either way, I had come into possession of them earlier that week, and properly filed them away, precise alphabetical order, then library style (first word, excluding ‘The’, ‘A’, or ‘An’). With the exception of a number of books either too badly damaged, or books in need of repair.

However, due to Spike misplacing the checklist, —I gave it to her, she just doesn’t remember -S— I was unable to find them all on the spot, and promised I would have them delivered to her house.

In what I assumed to be a gambit to reserve her cool reputation, she instead demanded I had them delivered at your address. I hope it does not inconvenience you.

Please note that some of the books may be of a por sensitive nature, which I was not aware of at the time, and it may be best to leave the books wrapped up until Rainbow Dash retrieves them. I don’t know how Rainbow found out about this, but no matter what books happened to catch her interest, I’m just happy she’s taken any interest in reading. In the likely scenario event that she only takes the books that she was too embarrassed to ask about with her, could you send the remainder back to me?

Addendum:
In a happy accident, last night’s storm led to an impromptu sleepover at the library with Rarity and Applejack. It was so much fun that I am thinking about making it a regular event, but they seemed less enthused by this offer. I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to poll the rest of our friends, what do you think?

Ah, but I’m getting off track. During the night, I paradoxically recovered my check list due to the tree crashing through my roof sudden strong drafts in my bedroom making a complete mess of everything. Also, I learned that Trixie may still be in Ponyville, and that Rainbow Dash knows where she is. I suspect the books are probably for her. Because of this, I will make sure to restore all the books I can before sending this.

Addendum Two:
I regretfully have had to declare several books as ‘unrecoverable’. I know this must be a very painful experience for Trixie, please give her my condolences.

Also, during the restoration process, my Weather-Damage Detection spell picked up some strange magical interference from a book titled ‘The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’. I’ve decided to hang onto the book for a little while, so it will not be included in this shipment.

Originally I thought it might have been some kind of transmogrification spell, but almost all reversing spells that I know have not paid off. Still, I am almost sure I am not looking at the real book. Come to think of it, It might be some type of illusion spell? Well, I never really had to study that school, Spike. It always struck me as a better idea to just learn how to really do something, as opposed to learning how pretend I could do it. It’s just pointless, but maybe I should brush up on it? I’m really curious now. Wait, why are you still writi—She never gives any kind of sign. Hey, Fluttershy? Could you do me a favor and destroy this letter when you get it? Twi wants me to edit it till it looks proper, but it’s only a note. Thanks! -S

Your faithful friend,
Twilight Sparkle


Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed.

PreviousChapters Next