• Published 19th Oct 2011
  • 5,073 Views, 20 Comments

My Little Angry Ponies - GWFan



Apple Bloom's pet pigs are relentlessly attacked by the angry birds

  • ...
3
 20
 5,073

Meet the Sparows

It was a little past mid-afternoon when Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash reached the peak of the mountain. Of course, Rainbow had to comment on how much easier it had been to fly then going up the slow way like the last time they went up. They were actually quite close to where the dragon had been sleeping which brought back not so fond memories for Fluttershy, even if she had found the courage to stand up to the dragon like a strict mother. The only question was where on the mountaintop did the Sparows live?

The two pegasus ponies walked to the exact opposite side of the former dragon’s cave entrance and found their answer. Almost as soon as they stepped foot onto some flattened rock, a series of large birds in several colors started to squawk. Naturally, Fluttershy’s first reaction was to tremble. Even more naturally, Rainbow Dash’s first reaction was to challenge them.

“So, we finally meet eh? Come on you stupid birds, put em up. I’m ready for you.”

“Rainbow, please. This isn’t what we came for,” Fluttershy pleaded.

“I can take them,” Rainbow assured her. “This is for the… pigs…,” Then Rainbow thought about it. “Why are we fighting for pigs?”

“You’re asking that now?”

At the mention of the pigs, the birds suddenly squawked even louder and more birds started to join them. Rainbow gulped, realizing that some twenty birds had gathered around them. Perhaps it had something to do with her early years spent with Gilda, but Rainbow knew she didn’t want to go down like a punk. Maybe the birds would like a taste of the Sonic Rainboom.

“Sparows, hold!” A deep voice suddenly called out. Rainbow focused her attention behind the birds and Fluttershy uncovered her eyes. A red bird, slightly larger than the other red birds, stepped forward, examining the two intruding ponies. Surprisingly, his eyes stopped on Fluttershy. “Did you come here for a reason or are you lost?” He said a little quieter than before.

“Um… um… we came here to talk…,” Fluttershy stammered.

“And kick your butts!” Rainbow added.

“No. We only came to discuss what happened with the pigs earlier.”

“And kick your butts!” Rainbow added again.

The red bird looked at Rainbow Dash with his eyebrows furrowed. Then he started to laugh. Then the other birds started to laugh. After almost thirty full seconds of this, the leading bird stopped laughing. The other birds stopped barely a moment later. “How amusing, that a mere pony thinks she can come up to our roost and beat us in a fight. Clearly you don’t know much.”

“Why you little-” Rainbow took a step forward, but the red bird held his wing up.

“Keep the blue pony here and make sure she doesn’t do something stupid. Let the yellow one come in.”

Rainbow and Fluttershy both looked at each other in surprise. They hadn’t expected the bird to act so civil.

“I’ll go talk to him,” Fluttershy said with a little bravery.

“Are you sure about this? Something doesn’t seem right.” Rainbow looked around, worried.

“I’ll be fine… I think.”

“If anything happens, just scream and I’ll come flying in, hooves bucking.”

Fluttershy nodded and slowly followed the leading bird. He walked in silence, if not still conscious of her presence.

“Excuse me, Mr. Bird-”

“Big Red,” he suddenly answered. “My name is Big Red.”

“Excuse me Mr. Big Red, but why do you hate the pigs so much?”

Big Red stopped walking and looked at her sternly. “How would you feel if some stupid animal was eating your food? Wouldn’t you do something about it?”

Twilight had hit the mark exactly. They were angry about the food. Fluttershy thought carefully about her words. “Well, I would ask them to stop and-”

“Ask them? Stupid animals like that? You must think we are soft.”

“Oh no, never. It’s just, I care for all animals and I would hate to see you or the pigs get hurt over a misunderstanding.”

“Misunderstanding!” Big Red hopped up and down, stomping the ground. “This is no misunderstanding! They eat what they want! I’m not going to let my brethren starve! The pigs must die!”

Fluttershy backed up a little. She didn’t want to anger Big Red anymore than he already seemed to be. “I’m so sorry. The pigs didn’t mean any harm, honest. Applejack is going to get rid of the pigs as soon as she can.”

“Applejack? Is that the name of that orange pony from earlier?”

“Yes, she’s one of my best friends.” Fluttershy smiled.

“That friend of yours doesn’t care if we starve to death. Little pony, I’m not about to believe anything that stupid mare says.”

“Oh, please reconsider. Applejack is the most honest pony I know. She wouldn’t lie without good reason. She just doesn’t want you to harm her pigs. She doesn’t want to fight anymore than I’m sure you do-”

“Fight? Little pony, we are Sparows. We have fought for what we believe in for generations. We fought to live, we fought to eat, we’ll fight again no matter who the opponent.”

“You can’t fight Applejack. She’s really such a nice pony. She just wants to protect her pigs at any cost, so if you would just-”

“What was that?” Big Red stepped closer to her, nearly coming beak to muzzle with her. “Any cost? What does that mean?”

“Well she doesn’t want you to hurt her pigs, so-”

“She’s willing to fight us? Is that what you’re saying?”

“Well, um… yes, but uh…,”

“I see. I get it. So the ponies are willing to challenge us too.”

“I… I didn’t say that exactly,” Fluttershy tried but Big Red turned away from her.

“I know what must be done now, little pony. This conversation is over. Our war has already begun.” Then he started to walk away.

“Please Big Red, please reconsider-”

“Your name is Fluttershy, isn’t it?” Big Red suddenly asked. Fluttershy stopped and stared at him.

“Yes, but how did you know my name?”

Big Red gave her a more solemn look. “You nursed my son back to health once. He told me about you. It’s the only reason I was willing to listen to you at all. In truth, I owe you a favor for that.”

Fluttershy nearly gasped. This was the father of the only Sparow she had met just a few short months ago. The young bird had mentioned that his father was powerful.

Big Red walked away again and around the side of the mountain.

“Wait. If we could just talk this over a little…,” Fluttershy ran around the corner and stopped dead. There were birds, hundreds and hundreds of birds gathered on the flat surface. It wasn’t just Sparows, there were birds of all kinds present. Meadowlarks, blue jays, robins, pigeons, and just about every other kind of bird save for birds of prey and waterfowl.

Big Red hopped onto a rock and held his wings up for silence. “My brethren!” He began. “We’ve come together today for the purpose of defeating our gravest of enemies, the pigs!” A cheer rose up among the audience, even the regular birds. “Tomorrow morning we will swoop down on their farm and annihilate them once and for all.” Another cheer arose from the birds, but Big Red held up his wings again. “But this is only the beginning of our…,” Big Red stopped when he felt a hoof tapping him on the shoulder. “What?”

“Please Mr. Big Red. You can’t do this. Won’t you reconsider?” Fluttershy asked him.

“Not now little pony. Can’t you see I’m in the middle of making my speech?” He turned back to the legion of birds before him. “This is only the beginning. I have just been informed that the ponies, those dastardly rulers of the land themselves, are challenging our very right to eat!” A series of jeers erupted from the audience. “It is true! I’ve only just spoken with one of their kind, and they intend to fight for the pigs to the last breath.” More jeers. “However, my brethren, we will not let these four legged tyrants…,” Again, a tap on his shoulder. “What!” He whined.

“Mr. Big Red, I never said that. I’m trying to say-”

“Little pony, don’t you have any manners? You’re ruining my speech. Get away.”

“But Mr. Big Red-”

“We will not let these four legged tyrants rule over us any longer!”

“W-w-what?” Fluttershy stammered as the crowd buzzed with anticipation.

“The morning will be filled with the cries of dying pigs, but we won’t stop there. No, my brethren, we will then turn our sites and gorge ourselves on the food of the ponies and give them a taste of their own tyranny!” Before the crowd could cheer, Big Red held up his wings for silence. “In the morning we will take the farm! And in the night…,” he paused for dramatic effect. “In the night, we dine in Ponyville!” Cheers erupted.

Fluttershy paled. “Oh my,” she whispered. Again, she tapped Big Red on the shoulder and amidst the cheers, he turned to her.

“What do you want?”

“Please Mr. Big Red, you don’t have to do this. Please!” She pleaded, trying to think of anything that could change his mind. “Just do me a favor and find another way.”

At the mention of the favor, Big Red visibly shook. For a moment and from the expression on his face, it appeared he might actually consider her request. But then he shook his head and spoke relatively softly, or at least as soft as one could speak among a chirping aviary of birds.

“Little pony, I can’t grant you that favor. This is the way of the Sparows and I can’t back down now.” He hopped down from his perch on the rock and started to walk towards a cave entrance. Fluttershy followed him.

“Mr. Big Red, I beg you-”

Big Red held up a wing to silence her. “Go back to your friends and tell them to hide in the forest until the battle is over.”

“But Mr. Big Red-”

“I’m allowing you to warn them. Consider that to be the favor I owe you. Now leave. I won’t stop my warriors from kicking you out anymore.” With that, he walked into the cave.

Fluttershy tried to follow him, but Sparows blocked her way and started pushing her back. Tears escaped her eyes as they forced her back to a waiting Rainbow Dash.

“Fluttershy, you’re all right!” Rainbow said excitedly. Then she saw her tears. “Aren’t you? What did they do? Did they hurt you? I’ll kick their butts.”

Fluttershy shook her head, “No. I made things worse.”


Fluttershy’s despair hampered her ability to fly. She just couldn’t do it. Although Rainbow Dash felt an urgency to fly quickly back to Ponyville and warn everypony about the birds, her sense of loyalty wouldn’t allow her to abandon Fluttershy on the mountain. She had also tried to rush into the birds’ roost in order to kick Big Red’s butt, but there were so many birds pecking at her, that she had given up on the idea. Not to mention the relative pain she was in from the damage they had inflicted slowed her flying down as well.

It took them the rest of the day and most of the night, but they finally climbed their way down the mountain and galloped back to Ponyville a little before sunrise. As they entered town, they were a little surprised to see Twilight, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie, already up, wearing their saddlebags and heading in their direction.

“Oh thank goodness you two are all right,” Rarity cried. “I was so worried when I heard about you going to see those awful birds. We were just going to look for you. What took you so long?” Then she saw the miserable look on Fluttershy’s face. “Fluttershy, are you all right? Have you been crying?”

“I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy whimpered.

“What’s the matter darling? Did they hurt you? I’ll make pin cushions out of them.”

“No, that’s not it,” Rainbow said, sounding rather down herself. “The birds want to attack Ponyville when they’re done with the pigs.”

“What?” Twilight’s eyes bugged out. “What do you mean they want to attack Ponyville? Fluttershy, you weren’t able to convince them?”

“I made things worse!” Fluttershy wailed.

“Come on Fluttershy, I told you it’s not your fault.” Rainbow had been trying to comfort her all night, but Fluttershy had taken her failure to heart and wouldn’t forgive herself.

“Maybe we could throw them a party when they get here. Maybe that would calm them down,” Pinkie Pie suggested.

“I don’t think those birds want to party. They’re just jerks,” Rainbow said, putting a comforting hoof on Fluttershy’s back. Rainbow then proceeded to tell the others what she had managed to get Fluttershy to tell her. All the while, Twilight’s eyes grew larger and larger.

“This is so bad,” Twilight finally said. “We have to warn everypony.”

“Twilight, do you really think anypony is going to believe that a bunch of birds are going to attack Ponyville? Not to mention that it’s before dawn and anypony who would even listen is going to be half asleep,” Rarity pointed out.

“Yes well… well…,” Twilight’s mind raced. “Okay, they’re going to attack the pigs first no matter what, right? So they’re going to head for Sweet Apple Acres. If we can find a way to stop them there, they won’t be able to attack Ponyville.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Rainbow said excitedly. “I’m ready to get back at them for what they did to me yesterday.” In the darkness of the early morning, the others hadn’t immediately noticed the various peck marks that adorned Rainbow’s body. She looked terrible.

“If they’re capable of something like that then we better hurry and think of something fast. Come on everypony, to the farm!” Twilight commanded, and the five ponies galloped off.


The sun had just peaked over the horizon, giving Twilight and the others enough light to see by. As they reached Sweet Apple Acres, they were surprised when they almost ran over Spike, who apparently had fallen asleep on his feet.

“Spike? Spike!” Twilight shook him. “Wake up. What are you doing here?”

“Hmm, wha… Who took the muffins?” Spike rubbed sleep from his eyes. “Can I go back to bed now, Applejack? I brought the book,” Spike very nearly started snoring again.

“Book? Spike, pay attention. What book?”

“Huh? Oh, hey Twilight. What are you doing in my dream? Usually I only dream about kissing Rarity, not you.”

Twilight paused, with an expression that seemed to say, what the hay are you talking about? Rarity just smirked at Twilight, clearly amused by Spike’s cute behavior.

Twilight rolled her eyes and shook Spike again, “Okay, dreams over Romeo. What book did you give Applejack?”

Spike rubbed sleep from his eyes again and focused. “Oh! Twilight! And Rarity! Uh… I didn’t say anything silly just now did I?”

“Just tell me about the book.”

“Book? Oh, that’s right. Applejack wanted to know more about fighting so I gave her a book called, Art of War.”

“Art of… Oh boy,” Twilight gulped. “It’s not really going to be that serious is it?” She asked Fluttershy.

“I’m not sure. There were an awful lot of birds there yesterday.”

Worrying at the thought of a full-scale war in Ponyville, Twilight quickly lifted Spike onto her back with her magic and the ponies galloped to the farmhouse. As soon as they got close to Applejack’s barn however, they stopped and stared.

“What did they do?” Twilight said in shock as she saw Big Macintosh and Applejack digging some kind of long hole.

“Overkill much?” Rainbow commented, looking around at the sandbags, barbed wire and trenches the Apple Family had built overnight around the barn. The ponies even saw Granny Smith slowly walking out of the apple cellar with a basketful of apples.

As the ponies got closer, they saw Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle running up from the other side of the barn.

“No sign of the birds yet, Applejack,” Apple Bloom said, while she and the other two saluted.

Applejack looked at them with an angry expression. “Apple Bloom, I told you and your friends to stay in the house. This is no place for fillies.”

“But we want to help,” Sweetie Belle said.

Then all three of them shouted together, “Cutie Mark Crusaders, pig defenders!”

Rarity paled an even deeper shade of white, regretting sending Sweetie Belle over for Applejack to watch while she and the others went looking for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. How soon before the birds got there?

They raced to the trench Applejack and Big Macintosh were digging.

“Sweetie Belle, listen to Applejack and get in the house. This is dangerous,” Rarity ordered as soon as they got close.

“But sis…,” Sweetie Belle argued.

“No buts about it. It’s not safe here. Those birds could attack at any minute.”

As soon as Rarity mentioned the birds, Applejack lifted her head out of the trench. Twilight and the others were surprised to see that she had replaced her usual hat with a camouflage helmet.

“Huh? What’s that about the birds?”

“Applejack, what’s all this?” Twilight asked, implying the barbed wire and sandbags.

“This? Military conditions.”

“Huh?”

“Look, it says so right here, see. I’m settin’ myself up for victory by followin’ these rules.”

Applejack produced a book and opened it to a particular page. Twilight then read the part she pointed at. “Therefore, in your deliberations, when seeking to determine the military conditions, let them be made the basis of a comparison, in this wise: (1) Which of the two sovereigns is imbued with the Moral Law? (2) Which of the two generals has the most ability? (3) With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth? (4) On which side is discipline most rigorously enforced? (5) Which army is the stronger? (6) On which side are officers and ponies more highly trained? (7) In which army is there the greater constancy both in reward and punishment?”

“See I got the Moral Law or whatever on my side cause I’m protectin’. I’m the best athlete in Ponyville so I got the ability. These here trenches is makin’ use of… well of the earth part anyways, and I know I run a tight ship round here so I got the discipline. The army… well… I ain’t got an army and I’m not really trained for combat or nothin’, so the Sparows probably have that. But we got better reward since we got justice on our side and those birds are in for a heck of a punishment so we got that part too. Five outta seven means we got the clear advantage.” Applejack looked truly proud of herself.

“I’m not so sure you’re interpreting this the right way, A.J.” Twilight said feeling rather confused as she read further into the book.

“Whether we got it right or not, me and my family are totally ready to fight the Sparows off. They won’t lay a wing on my pigs.”

“Well that’s all fine as long as they don’t try for Ponyville next,” Rarity said.

“Ponyville? What’chu talkin’ bout Rarity?” Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“The Sparows, they want to attack Ponyville.”

“They’re gonna attack Ponyville!” Applejack was shocked.

“After they’ve finished with the pigs,” Fluttershy said dismally.

“Them birds have gone plum loco.”

“I’m so sorry. I made things even worse.”

Applejack smiled at her. “It ain’t your fault Fluttershy. Those Sparows are just crazy. If they’re gonna be serious about this then so am I.”

Fluttershy stared at Applejack. “What do you mean? We can’t hut them.”

“If they wanna attack Ponyville then we ain’t got much choice.” Though Applejack sounded confident, the expression on her face showed concern. “I hope I ain’t talkin’ out my keester when I say I’m ready. Do ya’ll think I done enough?”

“Probably,” Twilight said sarcastically, looking around.

“Ya think?” Rainbow confirmed, untangling a hoof from some stray barbed wire.

“I don’t know about this. I don’t want to hurt them, but I don’t want them to attack either. I’m so frustrated I could scream.” Fluttershy let out a tiny scream that barely seemed above her usual volume. “Sorry. I hope that wasn’t too loud.”

“This is ridiculous,” Rainbow said disgruntled. “I can’t believe we’re going through all this for bunch of pigs. Can’t those stupid birds just go somewhere else?”

“I don’t know. They seem to have a real attachment to this area for some reason,” Fluttershy told her.
“Do you think maybe they like to party here? I’d fight for that,” Pinkie added.

“I somehow doubt it,” Twilight sighed. Fluttershy was right. This was frustrating. Why were these birds so bent on getting back this one feeding ground? Surly they must have others. “Since Ponyville’s on the line too, we should be ready for anything the Sparows try to throw at us.”

“Oh come on,” Rainbow guffawed. “What are they really going to… hey, why’s it getting so dark all of a sudden?” Rainbow and the others looked around, noticing that the sunlight seemed to be disappearing.

“Holy cow!” Pinkie Pie yelled. Abruptly, a nearby cow mooed. “Not you. That.” She pointed to the horizon.

The ponies all looked. The Cutie Mark Crusaders gaped in shock. Rarity very nearly fainted. Granny Smith sat down in a chair. Birds. The sky in the distance was filled with birds.

“Land sakes. There must be thousands of em,” Applejack uttered slowly, only now realizing what they were getting into.

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh agreed, actually looking a bit tense himself.

“Remember what you said about overkill earlier?” Rarity asked Rainbow. “Clearly, that is overkill.” She pointed at the tidal wave of birds approaching them menacingly.