• Published 25th Jan 2014
  • 590 Views, 11 Comments

Standards of Courtship - Cogneato Switch



With the help of Rarity, the new farmer in town learns the proper way to court a mare.

  • ...
10
 11
 590

A Statement of Fashion

Bumbleberry felt ridiculous. Rarity’s request about the curtains was one thing, but this was over the top. He stepped out of the dressing room on the first floor of the Carousel Boutique and stood in front of her, cringing. “How do I look?” He asked.

“You look fabulous, darling!” she reassured. “Now walk down the aisle and back. I want to see the way it flows.”

He did as he was told. At the end of the aisle, he saw in the mirror how he looked in the outfit she had given him. It was a long red evening gown with a slit up the front. The fabric swayed, revealing the short red heels she’d instructed him to wear. She had even put him in a necklace, earrings, and makeup. The whole outfit was topped off with a large floppy hat with red and blue flowers. He made a face at himself as he turned at the end of the aisle and walked back.

Rarity shook her head. “No no no, you have to walk with more sway. In fact, it’s less of a walk and more of a sashay.”

Bumbleberry walked up and down the aisle again, trying to sway more.

“Tsk tsk tsk, more hips, and put your tail into it,” the fashionista instructed. “Watch how I do it.”

The stallion watched as the mare walked. His eyes fixed to her tail as it swayed back and forth, eclipsing and revealing her round bottom. When she got to the end, she turned sharply and smiled. Her big eyes sparkled and Bumbleberry gasped. She then tilted her head at him and walked purposefully back. The look and feel of Rarity’s strut made him start to sweat and get excited.

She finished and spoke to him. “Did you see what I did? I want you to walk just like that so I can get a feel of how that dress looks.”

Bumbleberry saluted. “Yes ma’am!” He sashayed down the hall and back, stopping to swing his tail and look back at Rarity. When he finished, she clapped her hooves together. “I am a genius!” she cried. “That dress looks amazing!” She pushed him into the dressing room. “Now try this one.” She levitated a lime green outfit to him from a stack of outfits. “I want to see how this one fits you.

“Why do you have dressing rooms?” he asked as he changed. “Wouldn’t it be better for you to put the clothes on me yourself?”

“The dressing room allows sophisticated ponies to prepare themselves completely before presenting themselves. That way, others can’t observe the process it took to look so beautiful, or get a glimpse of the undergarments for the outfit,” Rarity explained. “Keeping an air of mystery is vital to a mare’s proper form.”

“But I’m not a mare!” he protested. He could feel her smile in silence from the other side of the curtain.

Over the course of an hour, Bumbleberry tried on several of Rarity’s creations. There were blue dresses, black dresses, vintage saddle outfits, and even costumes. He’d give his best walk and Rarity would rate her creation, taking notes and what worked and what didn’t.

“I have one more outfit for you to put on,” Rarity announced, handing him yet another set of clothes.

“Alright!” Despite the tedium of putting on and taking off clothes, Bumbleberry had found he was very much enjoying himself. Somehow, being showered with attention, coupled with smooth fabrics and superior fashion, made him feel good. Most importantly, he was focused on his tasks and felt in control of himself.

He stepped out of the dressing room once more, standing confidently, though somewhat confused. The outfit was a simple black dress with a white lacy apron, bib, and frilly short sleeves. It also had a small white hair net. “What is this outfit?” he asked.

“It’s a vintage costume worn by actors who played soubrette roles in opera,” Rarity said casually. “Soubrettes were known for their lighthearted and coquettish ways, and often wore a maid outfit like this one.”

“I see.” Bumbleberry bit his lip. “Shall I sashay down the aisle?”

“First, you need to finish putting on the outfit. You forgot the leggings!” Rarity levitated the pair of sheer black leggings from the dressing room where he had left them.

“I tried putting them on, but I couldn’t get it,” he explained. “Besides, are they really necessary? I thought you were watching the look of the skirts as I walked in them?”

Rarity smiled mischievously. “That’s right, but now I want you to put this outfit on.” She instructed him “I’ll help you. Stand on your front hooves.”

The stallion leaned forward onto his hooves, holding his back legs in the air, causing the skirt to fall forward over his body, exposing his rear. Rarity expertly manipulated the leggings over his legs and up to his waist. She threaded his tail through a hole and fluffed it out. The process was rather humiliating for Bumbleberry, but he accepted that this was what she wanted. She gently lowered his hind quarters and replaced the skirt over his legs.

“Now I’d like you to do something different,” the unicorn began. “I have a guest coming later and I want this place cleaned before they arrive.”

“A guest?” he cried.

She used her magic to bring a vacuum cleaner over to him. “Please vacuum the floor while I put away these clothes.”

Bumbleberry stared at her for a moment, wondering who would be coming. “Chop chop!” Rarity clomped on the ground. “This place isn’t going to clean itself.”

“Yes Miss Rarity!” Bumbleberry shook himself, stood on his hind legs and began vacuuming. Rarity levitated the clothes and went upstairs.

When he was done, Rarity gave him another task. Chore after chore, he tidied the table, ironed the curtains, folded clothes, cleaned dishes, and even baked pastries, all to her specifications. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it for Bumbleberry to see Rarity’s smiling face.

“You’ve been such an amazing stallion this evening!” Rarity complimented.

Bumbleberry preened his dress. “Thank you!”

“How are you feeling?” She asked earnestly. “Are you still having trouble concentrating?

The fuchsia stallion thought about it. He’d felt focused all throughout the chores. “Actually, I-” suddenly there was a knock at the door. Bumbleberry tensed up and hid in the kitchen. Rarity laughed and she trotted to the door to greet the visitor.

“Hello! Thank you so much for taking care of Opalescence. I’ve been so busy all day!” Her pet cat meowed at her return home.

“You’re welcome!” The guest said in a high-pitched voice. “She and Gummy had a great time together!” Bumbleberry could swear that he heard the blink of an alligator.

“Care to come in?” Rarity asked casually.

Bumbleberry winced. Is this the next task she has planned for me? To help her entertain her guest? he wondered.

“That’d be great, Rarity!” her visitor said delightfully.

Bumbleberry quickly smoothed his apron and adjusted his hat to be as presentable as he could, given the unusual circumstances.

Rarity lead the way into the kitchen, accompanied by Opal. Behind her was the excitable baker, Pinkie Pie, with her toothless pet alligator on her back. Bumbleberry braced himself as the guest’s eyes scanned the room and settled onto him.

“Bumbleberry?” Pinkie Pie asked cautiously. “Is that you?”

He nodded, saying nothing.

“Why are you wearing a maid costume?”

“It’s not a maid costume!” Rarity objected. “It’s a traditional outfit worn by Soubrettes in classical operas.”

“It looks like a maid costume.” Pinkie asserted. She stepped over to Bumbleberry and looked him up and down. “In those clothes, you look just like a mare.” His cheeks turned red with embarrassment. “That’s a great outfit!” she smiled widely.

“Be a dear and fetch Pinkie Pie and I some tea.” Rarity requested of him.

“But I don’t drink tea.” She protested. “Unless it’s a tea party. Are we having a tea party?”

Rarity looked at Bumbleberry and smiled. “Yes, let’s have a tea party.”