• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 16,373 Views, 1,522 Comments

PonyFall: Australia - Thunderbug80



Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy are transported to Australia by Discord, where they try to find a way home

  • ...
47
 1,522
 16,373

Lost is Found; Pink is Blue

Lost is Found; Pink is Blue
April 18th 2012


"Oh God, where did he go?" I demanded.

Pinkie and Fluttershy both scanned the area with me, but it was hopeless. The mall was crowded, and even though Angel should have been easy to spot, none of us were able to find him.

"Hmm, I don't see him here," Pinkie observed, squinting. "Don't worry, I'll go find him!" With that, she began to push her way through the crowd.

"What? Pinkie, come back!" I called out, forgetting to use her alias in my panic. "It's dangerous!"

"Oh, that's just silly!" she replied, still walking away.

It was insane; I couldn't let Pinkie Pie wander around the mall by herself. She could become lost as well, and then I'd have to try to track down two missing Equestrians instead of just one. Losing Angel was bad enough. How could I have let that happen? He had just been with us! I turned back to face Fluttershy.

"Come on, we have to go get her before something happens," I stated.

Fluttershy just stood there staring at me, her cheeks reddening, and began wringing her hands together. We were wasting precious time.

"Come on, Flutt... Felicia!" I urged, reaching for her hand.

"I... I can't!" she squeaked. There was a sense of pleading in her eyes that gave me pause. Something was up.

"What's wrong?" I asked impatiently. "We can't waste any time, so hurry please."

"I, um... well I..." She followed the words with some incoherent mumbling. I didn't have time for this.

"What?" I asked. "Honestly, speak up. We need to hurry."

Fluttershy squeezed her eyes shut, took a deep breath, and quickly announced, "I need to use the filly's room!"

Seriously? I thought. Her two friends are missing and this is why she can't help me look for them?

"Just hold it," I said, taking her hand and turning back in the direction Pinkie had gone. "Let's go." I began walking, but Fluttershy resisted.

"Doug!" she yelled suddenly, causing a few other shoppers to look our way. I turned back around and was shocked to see Fluttershy glaring at me. It didn't last long, however, as she quickly looked away and sighed. "Just take me to the nearest filly's room, please," she said quietly. "We can look for Pinkie afterwards, if that's okay with you."

I stood there in a stunned silence for a moment, then nodded and reached for her hand again. "Okay, let's go then," I agreed.

Fluttershy took my hand and I guided her through the mass of people towards the nearest women's restroom, which turned out to be fairly close by. When we arrived, I took her aside before she went in.

"Hey, you going to be okay in there by yourself?" I asked. "It's just like at home, so you should be fine. Right?"

When her cheeks flushed a deeper shade of red, I shut up and blushed slightly myself.

"Right, sorry," I mumbled. "Go ahead and do your thing. I'll wait out here."

Once she had entered the bathroom, I sat down on a nearby bench to think. The first thing to come to mind was that I had been unfair to Fluttershy. It was unrealistic to expect someone to concentrate if they had to 'go.' Besides, for all I knew the ponies might have smaller bladders than those of a normal human. I shook my head to clear it of that subject. It wasn't important - what was important was finding Pinkie and Angel quickly before they ended up in some kind of trouble. Angel could be just about anywhere. The last time I remembered seeing him was back at the cinema. I hadn't been paying attention afterwards, as I'd been too focused on getting to the kids' clothing store quickly. It was foolish, all this trouble could have been avoided if I had simply held his hand as we navigated the mall.

Then there was Pinkie. Who knew what mischief she could get up to? She was Pinkie Pie, after all. Visions of the mall's bakeries and candy shops being ransacked and left in shambles appeared in my mind. What would happen if Pinkie was arrested? There was no way to explain who she was to the police, especially since her false ID hadn't been made yet. Not that it would matter much, I doubted that a false ID would fool anyone who was actively seeking information on the Equestrians' pasts.

I sighed. How could a simple trip to the mall end up being so disastrous? I still needed to get the Equestrians some more outfits, too. Taking care of them was beginning to get expensive. Sure, I was fairly well-off financially, but I wouldn't remain that way if I continued to spend at the rate that I was. With a grunt, I reached into my back pocket for my wallet. I needed to check on how much cash I had on me so I could hopefully avoid using the credit cards.

I froze in disbelief, then frantically checked my front pockets just as Fluttershy emerged from the restroom.

"Oh! Is everything okay?" she asked quizzically with eyebrows raised.

"It's gone!" I stammered. "Somebody stole my wallet!"


How? my mind kept asking.

My keys, wallet, and phone were three things that were almost always located in my pockets. I also have a habit of, and some might say an obsession with, checking my pockets regularly to ensure that everything is where it is supposed to be. This habit had paid off many times in the past when I had left one or more of the items on the bedside table or somewhere in the lounge. Because I always, always check my pockets before leaving the apartment, I knew that my wallet had been with me as I walked out the door.

Additionally, having lived in Detroit for some time, I had prided myself on having never been pick-pocketed, even when old high school friends had tried on multiple occasions to do so as a prank. I caught them every time. The wallet wouldn't have just fallen out of my pocket either, so whoever swiped it was probably a pro.

"I can't believe it," I muttered. "First Adam, then Diane, and now my wallet. Don't you disappear on me too, Felicia."

Fluttershy sat down next to me. "Oh, okay. I um, didn't intend to. But now I'll try extra-hard not to," she said with conviction.

"Well, thank you," I said. We were quiet for a few minutes while I pondered what to do next. Finally, I stood up. "I guess our most important task is to find Adam," I announced. "I'm worried about Diane, and my wallet going missing is a big problem, but Adam's eyes are... different. Maybe we can pretend that he's into weird contact lenses, but he's not going to know to say that, is he?" I stopped and thought about what I had just said. "What am I talking about? He can't say anything! Ugh, let's just go and find him."

Fluttershy stood up, but as she took my hand, her eyes met mine. "Would you mind it very much if I asked you to follow me?" she inquired. We really didn't have time for any more delays, but judging by how she had reacted earlier...

"Sure, lead the way," I said. I had no idea what she was up to, but I wasn't about to try to upset her again.

She gave a small smile, then began leading me through the mall. We didn't have very far to walk though, because she simply led me back to the kids' clothing store. After a quick look around, she led me to an empty bench nearby and sat down upon it.

"Um, what are we..." I began.

"Have a seat," Fluttershy said, patting the bench beside her. Confused, I sat down and placed my head in my hands. I was beginning to get a headache.

"Why are we sitting down?" I asked. "Ang... Adam and Diane are still out there, and I still need to go check the Lost and Found to see if anyone handed over my wallet." I didn't have much hope of that happening, but it was worth checking into, at least.

"I think everything will be okay if we stay here," she commented casually. "We'll look for your wallet in a little while."

"I... what?" I gasped. "No! We can't just sit here, Pinkie's on the loose, and who knows where Angel might have gone! We have to go find them, we have to..."

"Heya, Captain!" called out a familiar voice.

I looked up to see Pinkie striding towards us carrying several plastic bags marked with the Target logo. Behind her was Angel, with several bags depicting the Cotton on Kids logo in his hands. He walked over and tossed the bags onto the bench beside us, then fished something out from one of his pockets and tossed it at me, where it bounced off my chest and into my lap. I looked down and saw...

"You stole my wallet?" I sputtered, looking around at the bags. "You stole my wallet and... and bought clothes? What the bloody hell!"

Angel looked at the bags, over to the wallet, and finally up at my face and nodded.

"Yeah, isn't that great?" Pinkie beamed, sitting down and rummaging through the bags. "You said we wanted to get the shopping done quickly, so he ran ahead like the smart little bunny he is and got it all done for us! What do you think of this outfit, isn't it amazing?" she asked, holding up a light pink dress.

I stared in disbelief at the three Equestrians as they admired the clothing.

"But he ran off without me!" I exclaimed.

Pinkie burst into a fit of giggles. "Oh, Dougie. Even though he might look like one, Angel's not a child. He can handle himself! Besides," she added, "even if he did get lost, he can always find his way back to Fluttershy."

"That's how he found our camp the other day," Fluttershy explained. "I never worry about where Angel goes, because I trust him to find his way back." She patted Angel on the head. "Always."

Pinkie must have noticed the look on my face, so she explained. "Look, when we first got here a few days ago, I admit we were a teeny tiny bit confused about what to do and how this place worked. I mean, there are a whole bunch of things here that are just like they are back in Equestria. But there are also all these other amazing things we've never seen before, and it helps to have a friend like you to show us how those things work!" She put her arms around Fluttershy and Angel and continued. "But we're not completely helpless! I mean, come on! We've fought against all kinds of mean old baddies back home. Things that were a lot scarier than just a crowd. What's so scary about a crowd, anyway? All you have to do is say 'excuse me,' or duck out of the way, or go around, or you can crawl under..."

"Okay, okay. I get it," I assured the Equestrians. I breathed out a long sigh and addressed the group. "I guess I owe you all an apology. I got a bit worked up over nothing because I was worried. But," I made sure I had their attention, "I don't think I need to remind you that there are still plenty of things here on Earth that are very dangerous, especially if you've never dealt with them before. So while I agree that I should cut you all a little more slack, I need you all to promise me to be careful, especially if I'm not around. Okay?"

The three of them all agreed, much to my relief.

"Um, Doug?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Can we go get something to eat? Somewhere other than here?"

I laughed. "Yeah, let's get out of here. I think we've been here long enough."


The rest of the day was rather uneventful, in a good way. We had lunch at McDonald's, with the Equestrians getting salads, as usual, and me getting a Filet-o-Fish meal. It turns out that fish aren't sentient in Equestria, so I was free to eat them without making the others nauseous. After our meal, I stopped by a local Coles supermarket and took everyone in with me to get some groceries and other general supplies that they would be needing. I even let Fluttershy and Angel wander off to explore while Pinkie and I took care of getting what we needed. We all met up at the checkout area without incident.

After a quick trip home to unload the groceries, we went back out into the city, where we spent several hours walking around and seeing the sights. We walked along Darling Harbor, then north to Circular Quay to see the Sydney Opera House and the Royal Botanic Gardens. I had a tourist take a picture of the four of us in front of the Opera House while we were there, and I was thrilled to see that it came out perfectly.

We finally dragged ourselves into the apartment just as dusk was arriving. Everyone's feet were sore from being out all day, and we were all eager to get an early night's rest. Pinkie and I in particular were both exhausted from our inability to sleep the previous night. It was strange, as it seemed like ages ago that we had sat on the bathroom floor and discussed our problems to each other.

With the girls tucked into bed and Angel fast asleep on the couch, I shifted to get comfortable in my sleeping bag. I realized then that I had forgotten to check my emails when we got home. It was no matter; it could wait until morning. With that settled, I closed my eyes and finally drifted off to sleep.


I woke to the extremely loud sound of Lady Gaga.

I want your ugly,

I want your disease.

I want your everything,

As long as it's free.

I want your love.

Love, love, love,

I want you love.

"Bloody hell!" I screamed. "Oh god, turn it off!"

I want your drama,

The touch of your hand.

I want your leather-studded

Kiss in the sand.

I want your love.

Love, love, love,

I want your love.

"Turn it off!" I yelled again, crawling towards the stereo system and lunging at it. I managed to find the off button and was rewarded with sweet silence. Furious, I spun around to see a blushing Pinkie Pie trying to hide behind my DVD rack.

"Sorry!" she squealed. "Fluttershy and I woke up and I thought it would be nice to play her favorite song for her, but then I put the disc in the slot thingy and it started playing way too loudly and I couldn't figure out how to make it play quieter, and then you woke up and started screaming and yelling and so I hid over here!"

I stared at her for nearly a full minute before letting out a long sigh and glancing at the wall clock. It read eleven forty-three.

"Christ, it's almost noon. I guess it was time to wake up anyway, so it's okay," I said.

Fluttershy poked her head out from around the corner in the hallway. "Is... is it safe to come out now?"

I sighed again and chuckled a little. "Yes, it's safe. I'm not going to do anything, just please don't touch anything unless I teach you how to use it first." I stood up and turned the computer on. It was as good a time as any to check my emails and private messages.

"Um, we made the bed and had breakfast already, too," Fluttershy said. "We were trying to be quiet."

"It's fine, no worries," I said as I clicked on my emails. I instantly deleted the spam and various advertisements, but two emails caught my eye. "Hey, we finally got a response from Fullmetal Pony. And guess what? There's something from Ashton, too."

Almost immediately, all three Equestrians had crowded around me. I didn't even see where Angel came from, though I found out later that he had been in the kitchen cleaning dishes. They all wanted to see Fullmetal Pony's response, especially since it's said 'Safe' in the subject line.

"Okay, okay, I'll open it up. Here we go," I said as I clicked on the email. It read:

First, the girls are safe. Apple Bloom even managed to drive off Discord and Scootaloo and Sweetie saved my life. I've still wound up with a cracked rib and a broken arm though.

I’m relieved that you and everyone else made it out okay.

I don’t know how but Scootaloo was able to use her wings to at least save me from more severe injuries. I don’t know if it’s connected to Discord, but this is the first time any of them have done something like that.

Moving on, I might be traveling in a few days as my school got shut down from Discord's attack, but I'll be taking the girls with me.

Don't worry, everyone thinks that the stunts Discord pulled were hallucinations. Everyone is lying low now just in case.

If you need to contact me my email is strawhat_pony@cmail.net and my number (know it’s a little pricy overseas but need it for emergencies) is 555-444-3321.

I’m working on the pictures right now. My friend is giving Sweetie and Scootaloo a dye job so their hair looks normal.

Attached is the one picture I have so far. Stay safe.

-John

"Hmm, well at least nobody knows what really happened over there," I observed. It would be a problem if he had to explain Discord to the United States government.

"What does he mean about Scootaloo using her wings?" Pinkie said. "Did she somehow keep them when she got zapped into this world?"

"I'm not sure," I said. "Wait, you can read all of that?"

Pinkie nodded. "Uh huh, it's a lot easier now. I don't even have to squint anymore."

"I just see squiggly lines," Fluttershy said with a small shrug.

"Well anyway, we have his phone number now. It shouldn't be too late in the US right now, so I should give him a call and see how he's feeling. We need him to be fit for air travel," I pointed out.

"What about the picture he sent?" Pinkie reminded me.

"Oh, right!"

I clicked on the attachment and watched as the image file opened up. Soon, the smiling faces of three little girls appeared on my screen.

"Oh my gosh, they're so cute! Even as humans!" Fluttershy gushed.

Pinkie agreed. "Awww, they're just so cute I could squeeze them all up in a big hug right now! I hope they're all okay. At least they look okay in the photo."

It was true. The girls looked healthy and happy in the picture. It was clear that this John, or Fullmetal_Pony, was taking good care of them, or at least trying to. I stared at the image for a few more moments. It would be exciting for the girls to finally be reunited with Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Angel. I looked over and saw big, genuine smiles on all three of the Equestrians' faces.

"I'm certain they're fine," I said, taking my phone out of my pocket. "I'm going to give John a call, okay?"

The Equestrians were too busy looking at the photo and talking excitedly amongst themselves to notice. Without any further delay, I dialled the number mentioned in the email. After a few rings, someone picked up.

"Hello?" asked a voice on the other end. It sounded young.

“G’day, is this John?” I asked.

“Um, speaking,” he said. “Who’s calling?”

“It’s TheSlorg, though I reckon you can call me Doug. You alright mate?”

“Oh thank God,” John said with a sigh. “I read that email and was worried he’d gotten you too. I’ve seen better days though. Discord did a number on me. I’ve got a busted rib and a broken arm. The Crusaders are safe though.”

I'd seen that he had been injured, but hearing it again was still a bit sobering.

“Christ. Well at least the girls are safe. Where are they now?”

“Laying low with my friends," he responded. "They’re also taking care of getting pictures... that one I sent probably wasn’t suitable.”

“It wasn't,” I said. I didn't mean to be short with him.

“Sorry.”

I looked over to see the Equestrians still chatting happily about the picture. “No worries. It was nice to see them though. It cheered Pinkie and Fluttershy right up.”

“Oh, did Discord try to get to them too?” John asked. He sounded a little nervous.

“We managed to drive him away before he found out who they were," I answered. "It’s been tough on them though, what with trying to adapt to being human. They took it really hard when we found out Celestia lost her magic. We were hoping that she’d be the key to getting them home.”

“Did you just say Celestia?!” John exclaimed. I knew that would get his attention.

“Yeah, the princess is in Atlanta with someone I can trust, but it’s not all good news." I figured I could trust John, so I didn't hesitate to give him the information. "When she lost her horn, she lost her magic. I'm guessing you already saw that Discord seems to be able to do magic just fine. I can’t imagine what he’d do if he found Celestia powerless.”

“Hmm, they might not be entirely powerless," John replied. "I'm only talking to you because Sweetie and Scootaloo saved me with hovering and magic... I think.”

“They did what?” I exclaimed. I had read about Scootaloo's wings, but the implications hadn't actually sunk in yet.

“I know I saw something on Scootaloo’s back right before I passed out, and my friends saw Sweetie’s head glowing. It’s not much, but from what the doctors say, it may have saved my skin," John said.

“So there’s some hope after all,” I said quietly to myself. If the Crusaders could somehow get their magic back... “How soon can you get me the pictures of the girls? We can’t do anything until your papers are finished.” We had to get that sorted out as soon as possible.

“I’ll call my friends as soon as we finish this call," he responded. "Hopefully the dye job on Sweetie and Scootaloo won’t take long... so Pinkie and Fluttershy are okay?”

Hmm...

"One moment," I said, setting the phone down. I stood up and walked over to where Pinkie and Fluttershy was sitting. "Hey Pinkie, would you like to talk to him? He's asking about you and Fluttershy."

Pinkie's eyes lit up instantly. "Oh really!? Yes please!" I handed her the phone. “So I just talk into this thing and he can hear me?" she asked. I nodded. "He can hear me right now?” I nodded again. She took a few deep breaths, then spoke into the phone. "Hello?"

A moment later, she squealed in delight and looked at me. "Oh my gosh, he said something! Can you believe it?”

I tried to keep from laughing and pointed at the phone, urging her to continue.

She raised the phone up again and began speaking rapidly. “Hi! I'm Pinkie. Isn't this amazing? It’s like talking to a unicorn with an invisibility spell on, and I should know because I've had a lot, and I mean a lot of unicorns go invisible when I come near. It’s like playing hide and seek! Oooh, are you hiding from me now?” With that, Pinkie looked under the chaise as if John was hiding underneath it. A moment later, she continued. “Uh, hello? That means you are hiding from me. Otherwise I’d be able to see you, silly!" Another moment of silence as John said something, then, “Hmm, well you’re not doing a very good job of not hiding. I can’t find you anywhere. Anyway, Doug says you found Sweetie, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom. How are they, are they okay? Have you played lots of games together?”

I shook my head and turned my attention to Fluttershy. "So how are your feet today, still sore?" I asked.

"Oh, they're feeling much better," she replied. "Thank you for asking. Are yours okay?"

"Uh, yeah mine are fine. I guess it's good that we slept in today." Had I been told a few weeks back that I'd be sitting on the floor discussing foot pain with Fluttershy, I'd have laughed. Oh how things change.

My thoughts were interrupted when Pinkie suddenly stood up, handed the phone to me, and strode into the bedroom, shutting the door behind her. Confused, I raised the phone to my ear.

“Hey, this is Doug," I said. "What happened? Pinkie just handed me the phone and walked out of the room.”

“Oh crap! Tell her I'm sorry! I'm really sorry! I just wanted to know if they knew anything about the girls’ siblings.”

He had asked about Applejack and Rarity. No wonder Pinkie ran off, she missed them both desperately.

“Oh no...” I whispered into the phone. “Look, I'm going to put Fluttershy on for a few minutes. It’s not your fault, the girls are just under a lot of stress and miss their friends. We only know the whereabouts of the Crusaders and Celestia. Everypony else is missing. I should have warned you. Here, I’ll get Fluttershy now. I need to go talk to Pinkie.” I covered the phone with a hand and whispered to Fluttershy. "Hey, can you talk to him for a few minutes? I need to check on Pinkie." With that, I handed her the phone and ran into the hallway.

I stopped in front of the bedroom door and knocked gently. There was no answer, so I slowly opened the door and peeked my head inside. Pinkie was sitting with her back against the bed, staring straight ahead.

"Hey," I said gently. "Are you okay?"

Pinkie closed her eyes and took in a few deep breaths before answering. "Yes, I'm okay. I just... I miss them so much. But it's like you said, right? We can't just go and find the others all at once. It has to be little by little. I know that, I just needed to... to get away for a while."

I took a seat next to her and leaned up against the bed as well. "Hey, look," I said, trying to change the mood. "We're sitting on the floor again and talking about our problems. Should we relocate to the bathroom?"

Pinkie smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. I knew then that she was not okay, and it broke my heart to see her struggling to keep a brave face.

"Pinkie?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah?"

"It's okay to cry. I understand."

She turned to face me, but only managed to meet my eyes for a moment before breaking down into sobs. I leaned over and hugged her, holding her head to my shoulder. I didn't mind, bottling it all up inside would do her no good.

"I'm s-sorry," she sobbed. "I know everything will... be okay. I just..."

"Shhhh..." I whispered. "It's okay, you've gone through a lot. I don't know what I'd do if I was in your situation, but I bet crying would be involved at some point."

At that moment, the bedroom door opened and Fluttershy peeked her head in.

"Oh, um, did I come at a bad time?" she said. "I'm sorry! Um, well... John say's he's very sorry. Okay, I'm going to go now." With that, she withdrew her head and closed the door again.

We sat on the floor for several long moments, the silence only broken by the occasional sob. Eventually, Pinkie leaned back and wiped her eyes with the back of her hands.

"Thank you," she said. "I think... I guess I needed that."

"I think you probably did. We're going to get your friends back to you, so you don't need to worry about that," I said. "But if you ever feel lonely, and just can't take it any more, let me know. I'll be here for you."

Pinkie was silent for a while, then, "Doug, could you send Fluttershy in here? She's probably all embarrassed about earlier and... well, I'd just like her company if you don't mind."

I gave her shoulder a squeeze and stood up. "No problem, I'll go get her. Take care, alright?" With that said, I left the bedroom and walked back into the lounge. I heard Fluttershy talking.

"Here, Doug’s back. Maybe he can cheer you up, too? Here he is,” she said, handing the phone over to me.

“Can you go see her?” I whispered to Fluttershy, who nodded and left to go to the bedroom. I turned my attention to the phone. “Hello? Sorry about that, mate.”

“I messed up,” came the reply.

“No, don’t beat yourself up about it. Pinkie and Fluttershy both have been worried, and it’s all I can do to try to think up ways to keep them happy.” I sighed. “She’ll come around eventually.”

“Okay,” John replied. He seemed nervous again. “Seems I'm not the best for taking care of ponies.”

“None of us are,” I said, getting serious. “They don’t belong here, mate. It’s too much for them to handle. All they've ever known is Equestria, and it’s better that way. They need to be protected from violence. Corruption. Hatred. They need to be protected from...” I paused for a moment as I realized what I was about to say. “Humanity.”

The phone was silent for a moment. Finally, John said, “The girls are too young to understand most of it.”

I let out a another long sigh. “It’s so much...” I began. The trials I'd been through were beginning to catch up with me. “I've done everything I can, but it’s not enough.” I paused for another moment. “Discord nearly had us. I was moments away from choosing to stand and fight. Angel handed me the knife, but it’s the Spirit of Chaos, you know?” Another pause. “How can we win against that?”

“I'm worried too," John said. At least I wasn't the only one. "I couldn't do anything... but those kids were able to save me and drive him off. If a bunch of little girls can do that, it can’t be all bad, right?”

I looked back at the picture of the Crusaders on my computer screen and smiled slightly. “You have a point. How’d they manage it, anyway?”

“Um...” There was an awkward moment of silence. “I was knocked out, but Apple Bloom, well she kinda... kicked him where the sun doesn't shine.”

The image of Discord reeling in pain, surrounded by three little girls, popped into my mind. I began to chuckle, and soon I was outright laughing at the situation. “I’d love to have seen that," I said. "So that’s what Ashton meant, I guess. He mentioned Discord nursing his manhood. So it was Apple Bloom that got him? That’s great." I smiled. "Tell them I'm proud of them next time you see them.” I paused and shook my head in wonder. "Those kids are something else when they work together. Their friendship really is...” I paused again for a moment as something clicked in my mind. “magic...” I trailed off quietly.

“Heh, well it’s where they’re from... I think.” John replied, but I wasn't paying much attention. “I really should ask them if the show is accur—”

“Wait a minute...” I interrupted him. “Hold on, we might be onto something here.” Could it be true? It seemed to make sense, but I had to try to confirm it with John. “You have all three girls, right?”

“Um, yes? You saw the picture right?”

“Bloody hell. Bloody Hell! Celestia's all alone!" I exclaimed. It made perfect sense once I thought about it. "Fluttershy’s still good with animals, but not as well as in the show, and Pinkie can still do the things she does. But they’re both together with me, just like the Crusaders are all together...”

The line was silent on John's end for a moment. “I don’t follow," he said, finally.

“What if that’s it? What if their friendship is their magic? Think about it, mate. The Crusaders basically did magic or something, right?” He had to understand what I was getting at.

“Yeah, at least I know Scootaloo hovered a little,” he said.

“And Pinkie still defies physics... but not nearly as often as she does in the show. Yeah, think about it! It took having me break a Pinkie promise before she did anything strange. And Fluttershy was still good with animals the few times we've been around them, but it wasn't like in the show. You still with me?” I asked.

“I think I'm getting it a bit...” There was another slight pause. “Can Pinkie sense Pinkie promises?”

“Probably, but that’s besides the point. Look, this might not be anything at all, but the princess is alone and powerless,” I explained.

“What can we do about that?” John asked.

“I don’t think she’d remain powerless if she was in the company of her friends.” There was a small gasp from the other end of the line. “Look, I’ll say it again. It might not be anything, but I think we need to get you and the Crusaders here as quickly as possible. Then we can just sit back and... well, we’ll see what happens, but I have a feeling things will get interesting quickly.”

“Let’s just hope Discord doesn't come back... I’ll get on the pictures as soon as we’re done here. If you need them, you have my email and they have my computer.” Good, I needed the pictures so we could get the paperwork started.

“Okay. Okay, let’s not get too excited just yet," I said, thinking. "Look, I need to go take care of Pinkie right now, but I’ll keep an eye out for some updated photos. We need to get the papers to you as soon as possible.”

“Got it. Also, I promised Fluttershy I’d call tomorrow and put the Crusaders on. Is that okay?” John asked.

A call with the Crusaders would almost certainly lift everyone's spirits. “That would be great," I said. "They could really use a good morale boost, and I'm sure that’d do the trick.” I looked over at the bedroom door. “Alright, I need to go now. Just one last thing. If Discord does show up again, keep an eye on Ashton. He’s a lying psycho, but... well, he helped me out. More than once.”

John sighed. “I don’t know what to make of him... Being cautious is probably the best thing we can do around him. At least now we know him being around isn't a good sign.” He had a point.

“Maybe. Just get me those pictures soon. At the very least, the Equestrians will be much happier once they’re together.”

“My friends are on it," John said. "I’ll go check on it right now. Tell Pinkie I'm sorry.”

“Will do. Take care of yourself,” I said.

“I’ll do the best a man in the hospital can. See ya.” With that, he hung up.

I put the phone in my pocket and headed toward the bedroom door. I had a feeling that hearing my thoughts on how meeting their friends could strengthen their magic would cheer the former ponies right up.