• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 3,959 Views, 111 Comments

A Pony In The Wasteland - Ribe_FireRain



Once I lived in a vault - Vault 26, but I ran away to the Wasteland to find adventure and fortune, and instead I met a sweet, cyan mare who ended up changing who I was. Even though I haven't met her long, I already like her and hope that she sta

  • ...
21
 111
 3,959

PreviousChapters Next
Another Day Gone By Part 3 - Say It Like You Mean It

With the location the Pip-Boy provided me, I made my way towards the Ranger Compound. Knowing my luck, It'd probably be well-prepared for any intruders, but no matter what, I'm going to get what I came for, whatever the price. I just want to know she's safe. Seeing as none of these Rangers knew me, I would probably get killed as being called an intruder. It took me around a day and a half to get there, and when I did I found it was less than I expected.

The Ranger Compound was inside the blasted remains of a once tall building. There was a blue, metal door with a terminal and the crossed-sword symbol next to it. Upon turning the terminal on, I saw that it said 'unlock door' as a command, but above that, intended as a threat, it read 'If you're not a Ranger, you best get outta here!'. I ignored it and clicked the unlock command, the response being an access denied. I clicked it repeatedly, growing more and more annoyed as it kept displaying that same message over and over again.

I looked to the back of the terminal, seeing that where it was mounted into the wall, there was a port with wires inside of it. The screws were loose, so it didn't take much work to get them off. A few snaps of wires and bypassing later, the door clicked open. When I got inside, I immediately knew that it was once the basement of the old building. It was dark and smelled awful, like decay and rust. Some lights were on, but the dimness of them barely illuminated any part of the corridor at all. I could barely hear anything other than the clank of old water in the rusted pipes and my own breath.

I had my assault rifle at firing-point, ready to shoot any threats if they come my way. I walked down the left side of the corridor as quietly as I could, the metal flooring clanking softly beneath me. It lead me to a small room with various computer and broadcasting equipment that clearly didn't function any more, their wires and electrical insides partly on the floor. There was also a working terminal and a ham-radio on a table just in the opening of the room. Clearly somebody was here. Seeing she wasn't there, I turned around, my hope fading. I continued to the opposite side of the corridor, coming to yet another room that was filled with rusty bunk-beds and a few footlockers and tables. I saw a couple people sat at one of the tables, thankfully facing away from me, but I still couldn't see Rainbow Dash anywhere. I was starting to think that she had left and hidden some place else.

''Hey! Who the hell are you? How'd you get in?!'' I jumped at the voice of a clearly mad female, turning on the spot, facing her pissed-gaze. She had sparkling orange hair, perfect-looking skin and an extremely pissed off glare within her sapphire eyes. She had combat armour the same as my own put painted a hue of green, a symbol of crossed swords with 'Reilly's Rangers' written on the top left of her breastplate.

''I walked through the door. How do you think I got in?'' I dead panned, only seeming to infuriate her further. How did I know I made her angrier? She slapped me in the face. Ouch, hurtful.

''Smart-ass, huh? I know you got through the door! I'm asking how! That thing was sealed shut!'' She stomped her leather booted foot hard on the floor. I could feel the other two Rangers behind me, blocking me in with her. I just stared right back into her eyes, feeling a little threatened but somehow not as fearful as I used to be in these situations.
I just smirked softly.

''I bypassed your door. Don't worry, it isn't broken, just a few wired cut and twisted in various places. Should be easy to put back right.'' She actually seemed impressed by how I got in but she was clearly still pissed. ''Look, I don't know who you are, but I need your help. I didn't come here to infiltrate your compound and kill you, I came here to find someone, or rather somepony.''

The woman raised a brow at that, giving me a quizzical look. I heard the two from behind me back off a few steps, seconds later being told to move into the room. We sat at a table, me still being cautious yet curious. I certainly wasn't expecting something like this. I thought it would be more on the lines of 'You're dead' or just point-blank firefight. However, the three of them just sat together, looking at me with uneasy expressions. There was an uncomfortable silence between us, but then the orange-haired girl spoke.

''You're Oscar Brady, aren't you?'' Her voice was quiet. Now it was obvious that I was in the right place.

''So you have met her, then. Rainbow, I mean.'' I said, my own voice tuned down to a whisper.

''Yes, we have met her. We met her, Billy and Gustavo in the Bethesda Ruins not far from here. From what we know, Gustavo was killed by your hands.''

Okay, now I was feeling guilty and embarrassed. True, I know I killed Gustavo, but what feels horrible about that is the fact that I didn't know what I was doing. I did it in cold blood, all just so I could capture Rainbow Dash, the one who meant more to me than life itself. I really just wanted to talk to her.

''I'm Reilly, and these two are brick and Donovan. The fourth member is Butcher, our team medic. He's some place else, though. But now that part is out the way, I should probably ask you what you want with Rainbow. She seems scared of you, even more scared than Donovan is of fire ants.''

''Hey!'' Donovan punched Reilly's shoulder in retaliation to the statement, making Brick chuckle. ''Don't you start, Brick. I swear, next time you need your mini-gun fixing, I'll rig it with explosives!''

''Like to see ya try, nerd.'' Brick smirked at him, earning an annoyed scowl from Donovan.

''Enough you two.'' Reilly shushed her companions before continuing. ''So,'' She began, looking at me. ''What is the deal between you two?''

''Why do you care? I barely even know you and you're asking me questions like this. It is all complicated, alright? All I want to do is speak with her. I just wanted to tell her something, make sure she's safe.''

''Rainbow's safe, alright. When I said Butch is somewhere else, I meant with her. She is being checked over to make sure she'll be fine.''

''Whaddaya mean? I thought you said Rainbow was fine?''

''She is fine physically, but not one-hundred percent mentally. All that fright seemed to of rattled her cage a bit. I'll let you talk with her, but I can't promise she won't freak out. I swear, when she came over here she was so panicked that she could barely even speak. Poor thing just passed out of fright.'' Reilly said, the remorse for Rainbow evident in her voice.

''So, where is she exactly, if not here?'' I asked, now curious for her whereabouts. So close...

''In the back room. The one to the right from this one. Just take it easy on her, alright?'' I nodded, ''Alrighty then, I'll walk you down to her. Just...don't do anything stupid.''

''Reilly, seriously, how many times are you going to keep saying that? I know my Dashie.'' I could feel myself smiling. It felt nice to say that name again.

A moment later, I stood at the door to the back room of the basement. I'll be truthful and say I was nervous yet happy. I was actually glad to see her again, but she probably wouldn't feel the same about me. Reilly knocked three times on the door, soon being greeted by Butcher whom after a simple talk allowed me a couple minutes inside the room. My heart beat slowed as I saw her, the Rainbow Dash I knew and cherished was on a bed, laying on her chest, looking right back at me with a semi-fearful expression.
Her mane was a little messy and her eyes had pale black bags beneath them. I didn't bother approaching her, I just stood still, watching her as I could feel tears start to invade my eyes. I didn't want to startle or scare her. Just seeing her there, so weak-looking and frightened tugged at my heart.

''Rainbow...'' I muttered softly, still watching her. I saw a tear stroke her cheek, one going down my own face. I didn't know if I could go through with this. I didn't want to do anything wrong like hurt her. Not like I intend on it but because I didn't want her to be even more scared than before. She has lost her trust for me and I really want her to regain that.

''Stay back.'' Rainbow said, the caution and weariness evident in her weak voice. ''Just...s-stay where you are!''

''Rainbow, please, you have to listen to me...'' I tried to get through to her, but her fright seemed to take her mind over.

''No! I don't wanna die!'' She half-shouted.

''Wait, what? Dashie-Rainbow, I don't want to kill you! Why would you even think that! I only want to know if you're alright.'' Clearly she wasn't. She doesn't sound alright. She doesn't sound fine and dandy. She sounds scared shitless. Of me.

''Oh, I'm fine, alright! Just dandy, Brady! As you can tell, I'm constantly running from a black-blooded assassin who I thought loved me! I was so wrong about you, Brady. If nothing ever happened between us, maybe this wouldn't of happened!'' Her words were doused with venom, and each of them stung my already love-decaying heart. Those words actually hurt me. Did she really think that of me? Heartless and a betrayer of her trust and love? Ouch, Dashie. Just, ouch, too far.

''But I do love you! I'm not trying to kill you, Rainbow, I'm trying to help you! Look, I know that sorry will never mean anything to you after all the things I have apparently done, but it is all I can say to you! I don't know what else I can say besides 'I'm sorry' or 'I love you', because they are true! I love you, Rainbow! You know I do!'' I took a couple steps forward, Rainbow's gaze still fixated upon me as she slowly crept back on the mattress. ''Rainbow, I'm dead serious when I say that I love you. You gave me another chance at life when you came into my life. You changed me, made me a better person than who I used to be.'' I was now beside her. She had barely moved that much from her position as she listened to every word that left my mouth. Her tears had started to fall freely down her cheeks and I gently and slowly wiped them away with my thumb, looking back into her eyes.

''I love you, Dashie. Never forget that I do. You are my everything. You mean more to me than life itself.'' I proved that point as I leaned down and locked lips with her. She was very hesitant at first but soon she started to sink into the tender moment. That sweet, smooth taste of her lips was still there and I was enjoying every second of it. We made out for the shortest amount of time before our lips separated. We looked deep in each other's eyes, and I noticed her blush softly as a smirk came to her face, yet I could still tell she had mixed feelings.

''Brady, you are such a sissy sometimes.'' She giggled cutely and I did too. I hugged her tightly, holding her close and not wanting to let go. I rubbed my cheek into her mane as I felt her relax in my embrace. I kissed her on the cheek before I settled down with her, snuggling into her side as I draped a hand over her back, stroking it gently.

I may have a long road of regaining her trust, but in the end, it is all worth it. She was probably going to still be frightened of me, but I really hoped she could find it in herself to move past that and look at me the same way she used to.

I'd give anything to see her look at me like that again. Even my own life. She was just so important to me.

PreviousChapters Next