• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 7,525 Views, 357 Comments

A New Beginning - Falinov



In the distant future an 0-2 Marine is sealed away attempting to survive the fallout of a M.A.D strike between two super powers to find a world unlike his own.

  • ...
44
 357
 7,525

Chapter 9 Friendly Introductions. Hi, my name is... Wait, what?

Chapter 9: Friendly Introductions. Hi, my name is... Wait, what?

After getting about half an hour’s worth of a nap, not enough to call it a power nap by any means. I found Twilight on the couch, Spike perched on her back sleeping peacefully as she reads a book encased in her magic, oddly enough I also found that I am wrapped in a star covered blanket that I didn't put on before I fell asleep. Rolling onto my back I look at the ceiling and exhale loudly gaining the attention of Twilight.

"Sleep well?" she asks in a slightly cheerful tone.

"If that's what you want to call it." I groan as I use my hand to wipe the sleepless expression off my face. Against my better judgment, I kick the blanket off and throw my feet over the side of the couch, stretching my entire body in every direction humanly possible, with a few satisfying pops in my back as I exhale.

"How long till your friends arrive?" I ask as I blink a few times, allowing my eyes to readjust and clear the blurry purple blob in front of me.

"About an hour." she looks at a nearby wall clock. Looking at my watch I find it's only 13:03 (1:03 PM) Twilight noticing me looking at the watch tries to lean a bit to get a better view.

"What is that?" She quizzically asks as she levitates Spike off her back onto the couch, causing him to stir slightly; she stumbles slightly as she walks over to me and looks at my mysterious time piece.

"It's my watch." I unlatch the prongs that keep it firmly attached to my wrist and offer it to her to play with.

"B-but how does it even work? There's no big or small hands on this tiny thing." she shakes it lightly, trying to get it to turn on trying desperately to make it work. A grin forms across my face as I take it out of her magical grip and tap the soft rubber bellow the display. Almost immediately, it flashes four white dots on the screen before moving one dot left, once it reaches the opposite side, it flashes back to the right before flashing all lights twice. The screen turns black momentarily as white pixels dance across the screen loading the time from left to right causing Twilight's jaw to drop.

"What? B-but-but; how?!" she stutters over her words as she takes the watch back immediately it turns off because the screen times out due to physical activity.

"Wait- No, Oh Celestia! I'm so sorry Austin; I think I just broke it!" her eyes shrink to pin pricks as I begin to chuckle.

"W-wha-why are you laughing." her ears are flat to her head.

"Relax Twilight;," I adjust my seat and take the watch back.

"The reason you don't see the hands to tell the time is because this watch is special; it's electronic meaning it doesn’t need hands instead it keeps track of the time with specific time zones that are programmed into it, you can also tell it to follow specific, custom times if you desire." I roll the watch over to the side and press a tiny button on the side the watch vibrates and repeats the light pattern from before and reveals the time.

"See; nothing to worry about." I re-attach the watch with the two prong into the band making sure it's snug to my wrist.

"I don't know what to say! First off, that is incredible, your species must have been really advanced." Twilight is now practically acting like an adorable kid who just got a day’s worth of candy.

"Some area's we were extremely intelligent others not so much; sometimes almost a little too intelligent for our own good." I finish messing with my watch when I hear something odd like something flying outside.

"You hear that?" Twilight's ears perk up as she nods to me; cautiously I walk to the front door, I grab the handle and pull it open only to have the sound be amplified ten fold. Looking around I try to find the source of the sound; suddenly a trail of rainbow flies by at full speed only allowing me to see a cyan blur go straight into the sky, I keep looking up to see it stop and B line straight for the ground. In fear I stand there rooted to the spot as the rainbow trail gets closer to the ground and at the last moment it changes course... Straight for me...

‘Oh, this is going to hurt.’ My eyes widen as I brace by shielding my face with my arms; right before impact I hear a femine voice screams out.

"LOOOOOOOOKKKK OUTTTTT!!!!!!!" Instantly I'm blasted backwards from the blur impacting me square in the chest, sending me flat on my ass pain rushing to every part of my body as I hit my head on something extremely hard. My vision fading spinning in circles as stars flash by my eyes as my conscious fades into oblivion before fading out as I look up to see Rainbow Dash looking at me a look of dread on her face.

'Hey, welcome back- we missed ya’, you know the drill; Lights out!' Like the snap of a finger my vision and memory fades out as my consciousness fails.

<><><><><>Twilight’s P.O.V<><><><><>

“RAINBOW!?” I scream at the top of my lungs as I just witnessed her slam Austin straight into a shelf of the bookcase near the door.

“IM SO SO SORRY!!!!!” She screams at equal volume all the while panicking on top of him.

“We will discuss this later; GET OFF HIM!,” Rainbow now, turning bright red gets off him and crouches next to his limp body.

“Help me get him to the couch.” She nods as I levitate his body up and she uses her body to prop him upright. Once in a suitable position I use every ounce of magic I can and lift him a few feet above the ground; his appendages dragging on the ground. With one heave rainbow rolls him on his back onto the couch.

“Ok, let me consult my first aid book.” Galloping quickly over to bookcase near the kitchen I scan the M section and find Medical Aid and Day to Day Home Remedies. Without a second glance I yank it down and flip through the pages finding anything I can about head trauma instead finding a whole list of definitions of unconsciousness and how to treat it.

“Unconsciousness is when a person is unable to respond to people and activities. Often, this is called a coma or being in a comatose state. Other changes in awareness can occur without becoming unconscious. Medically, these are called "altered mental status" or "changed mental status." They include sudden confusion, disorientation, or stupor.”

I pause and look at Austin's body and back at the book.

“Unconsciousness or any other sudden change in mental status must be treated as a medical emergency.”

My eyes shrink to pinpricks as I quickly scan the rest of the book.

“If someone is awake, but less alert than usual, ask a few simple questions, such as the following
"What is your name;"

"Got it.,"

What is the date;

"Got it.,"

How old are you?”

"Ok, Got it!" I continue to read on.

“Wrong answers or an inability to answer the question could suggest a change in mental status.”

I return to Rainbow who is still sitting beside him, gently rubbing her hooves against his limp appendage. She looks at me with tears in her eyes, her eyes red and puffy.

“W-what do we do about him?”

“We need to check for the following, quickly I might add...” levitating the book nearby I begin checking his body for the following.

“Check the person's airway, breathing, and pulse frequently. If necessary, begin rescue breathing.”

I lower my ear over his mouth to hear him still breathing (Thank Celestia!) I continue reading while using my magic I gently prop his head up to keep his airway open.

“Rainbow, check the back of his head; see if he’s bleeding.” She sniffles and wipes the tears from her eyes and gently checks the back of his head.

“He’s not bleeding.” She lifts his head up a bit more to make sure.

“Good; if he doesn’t come to within a minute or less go get Nurse Redheart as quickly as possible, go get me a bag of ice, he's going to need it for swelling.”

<><><><><> Austin's POV<><><><><>

Looking around I’m in the darkness of the void, looking in every direction I can’t even see my hands but I can hear people/ponies speaking.

‘He’s going to hate me when he wakes up.’

I can hear Rainbow sobbing, but no matter what direction I look, the sound is constantly around me and yet I can’t speak. Attempting to do so only results in the sound of my breath as it escapes my mouth with no sound what so ever. Oddly enough my neck area feels slightly warm and I can feel something touching my hand instinctively I try to move my hand but the appendage doesn’t cooperate with me.

It wasn’t even a second later that I feel my whole body begin to shake as light begins to appear in front of me. For fear of something hitting me again, I squint and turn my head away. Instead of pain, warmth fills my body as it encases me bringing me back to reality.

<><><><><><><><><><>

I inhale sharply as my eyes shoot open to a bright light coming through the window, rolling my head right, I see Twilight and a very distraught Rainbow Dash. I attempt to move, but my body sorely disagrees and I'm instead met with a sharp pain shooting straight to my skull. Instinctively, I slam my eyes shut and groan.

“Are you ok?” Twilight asks, her voice slightly stuttering. I groan in response as my eye opens to see them both staring down upon me.

“What is your name?” Twilight asks me, I groan and clear my throat.

'What kind of question is that?!'

“Austin…… G-. Lanc---aster.” I slide myself back a bit and prop myself up the pain in the back of my head reaching the full peak; instantly I clasp my hand to my head once more in pain.

“Oh my fucking god; What the actual FUCK happened.” I crack my eyes open to see Rainbow’s ears flat to her head.

“Oh, hold on I know how I can help the pain.” Twilight’s horn, lights up as she approaches me and taps her horn on my head, eliciting a groan as all the pain fades away almost immediately. I look at Twilight with a look of sheer happiness and awe.

“Where have you been all my life?” I place my hands on Twilights shoulders and gently shake her, as I quickly run my hand over the back of my head feeling a massive goose egg.

“Uhg…What happened?” Rainbow now turns an extremely dark shade of red as her wing’s droop from her sides as she begins to apologize spastically.

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t see you there I was hoping Twilight opened the door with magic, so I could stop in the library; and before I knew it I had impacted you and –“ I stop her from continuing.

“Did you mean to hit me? Did you purposely intend on hurting me?” Using my elbows to prop myself up a bit more looking her dead in the eyes.

“W-well, no I-.” I stop her again with my hand.

“Then it was an accident Rainbow- No harm done really; and from the looks-/ feeling of it, Twilight stopped the pain so I’m not upset… But please, next time don’t assume while flying people or ponies have that quick of reflexes to move out of your way, I especially won’t.” I gesture to Twilight who moves back a bit allowing me to sit upright on the edge of the couch. I stand up and stretch inhaling as I do so I don’t black out. Now, having the time to notice, I look down to see Twilight is really short compared to me, at the very least 4ft 1 at the most 4ft 5, Rainbow not fairing much better than Twilight.

‘Huh, I wonder if that’s just a normal thing around here…’ My thoughts wander for a bit.

“Austin?" I hear in a slight echo, but paying it no mind.

‘What is the average height of a pony anyways…’

“AUSTIN!”

“Huh, what?” I look back at the two who are now curiously watching me Twilight is levitating slightly off the ground but sill not reaching eye contact.

“You ok?” Rainbow Hovers in front of me with ease.

"Yes, Er.” I clear my throat awkwardly. “Was just thinking about something and I zoned out." Twilight shakes her head and sits herself on the opposite side of the couch rainbow following suit.

"As I was saying; the rest of the girls will be arriving soon, so if you’d like you have time to prepare." Twilight looks up at me.

"Pray tell, how would I prepare? I don't have any other sets of clothing; I don't know where anything is around town; and believe me, if I could I would get this mop off my head, I would do so in a heartbeat; oh and probably get myself the largest bottle of wine I can get my hands on." I run my hand through my thick hair that has grown all the way to the edge of my eyes.

"Fair enough, but if you wish to take a shower or anything else you have the option.” Twilight goes up the stairs, I look at Rainbow her ears are still folded to her head; Twilight enters her room and disappears, a moment later spike yawns as I remembered he was on the other couch; he rubs his eyes and looks at me and Rainbow before speaking.

“Huh, Oh hey Rainbow, and wait, weren’t you in Canterlot? I heard Twilight sent you off to the castle, how did it go?" he stands up on the couch and stretches while rubbing his eyes of sleep before hopping off and immediately getting to work.

"That really depends on your point of view." I recall my nightmare and how Luna stepped in and stopped it making shiver slightly.

"That bad? Hehe, everyone’s first time is always odd, I remember my first time in the castle when I was just a hatchling." he smiles as he leans against a nearby stack of books.

"Yeah… At least you were born In this time period." I place my chin on my hand.

"Hey! It isn't so bad! Come on you got a whole new world to explore, opportunities to take friends to make and meet, you got a lot of things to look forward to!" Rainbow gives a smile as she sits beside me wrapping a wing around me; that combined with big beady eye and a giant smile that makes me mentally scream.

‘DAWWWWWW; ahem, I mean… that’s… adorable.’.

"As true as that may be; It won't be easy for me to just up and forget the things that happened to me or my race for that matter… or the actions that got me here in the first place either…

If only it was that easy to forget my friends, however Rainbow has a point; I got a life ahead of me I better make the best of it... for everyone who sacrificed their lives I must represent the human race as a whole at least being the last of my kind I can do so with dignity as my last gesture; A knock on the door interrupting my thoughts.

"Rainbow can you get that for me?" I hear Twilight yell from upstairs.

"Yeah, No problem!" she walks over to the door and opens it and stands aside and lets in four ponies among them I see Fluttershy. The others I didn't recognize A White Unicorn with purple mane and matching tail, orange pony and Stetson, and that god damn pink pony this time she looks like she's just eaten pure coffee (No water just… Pure 100% coffee beans).

‘Y u bounce so much?!’

"Where's Twilight, Rainbow Dash?" I hear the White unicorn says, as she stands proudly next to Rainbow.

"Upstairs, I'm not sure what she’s doing." Rainbow folds her wings to her sides once more opting to lean on me instead.

"I'm sure she will be along so--" she stops mid sentence as she looks over at me, for the longest time she stands still and states at me; either A curiosity getting the better part of her, that or she’s gonna mace me...

Money is on the second option.

"Is this the, um...,” She struggles to figure out what I am, only for Rainbow to interject.

“Human.” Rainbow corrects.

“Right! My apologizes… Is this the Human, that Twilight has been on about?" they begin to approach me except Fluttershy who smiles at me from the door as she makes her way over to the couch opposite me.

"Yeah, Rarity this is Austin-, Austin, this is Rarity." Rainbow introduces us clearing the awkward silence

"It is an absolute pleasure and honor to meet you darling!" Rarity smiles I move over a spot on the couch and she takes a seat to the right of me.

"This here is Applejack." Rainbow exclaims almost too happily Applejack immediately taking advantage of the situation walks straight up to me and begins shaking my hand excessively fast.

"Pleasure tah’ meet y'all in person partner; Twilight has told us a lot about ya’!" her heavy southern accent matching her rough n’ tough complexion and reputation as a hard worker perceives her quite nicely.

"It is a pleasure meeting you too." I reply using my left arm I rub my now sore arm. As soon as Applejack sit’s Pinkie bounds over quickly and begins spouting questions and statements at an impossible speed that even my A.D.D couldn’t keep up with...

"HI AUSTIN! Oh my gosh its sooooooooo incredible to meet you without being absolutely terrified!!!!!” My eye twitching as Pinkie continues... “The moment I saw you I was like AHHHHGGG!!!!!!! But now we’re going to be the bestest friends ever!!!!" Her voice beginning to be drowned out as I focus on the others around me; Rarity makes a move to silence Pinkie.

Oh… MY… GOD, MAKE IT STOP; PLEASE!?

"Alright dear, I think you may have overwhelmed him." Rarity chimes in and stops her Pinkie stops immediately a smile still plastered across her muzzle.

"Terribly sorry dear, Pinkie can sometimes come off as a little…"

‘Brash, overbearing, tiring, and a possible lawsuit???’

My thoughts keep running wild, but I can’t blame Pinkie… it’s just her nature… At least that’s what Fluttershy hinted at when we last spoke, thinking it over for a moment I decide to move on and clear things up with Pinkie.

"That's quite alright." I reassure her as I shift my seat. Shortly after Twilight comes down while levitating a book above her as she makes her way down the stairs.

"Where y'all been Twi?" Applejack looks at her.

"Studying; Well… Trying to find anything I can on humans, so I can study that is; ever since Austin arrived, I’ve been searching hard for any info I can. Spike found me a small book, but according to you some of it was misleading.” She looks at me, her gaze shifting between the book in her magical grip and me.

"Hmmm, while I was in Canterlot Luna let me into the Archives and the librarian helped me find this. Perhaps it can be of use to you." I remember I still have the book in my pocket I stand up everyone gawking at me as I pull out the book that still reads in golden equestrian letters.

“Mythological Creatures of the Birth age.” I read aloud and hold it towards Twilight.

"Not sure who this Star Swirl the Bearded guy is, but he wrote about my "kind" some of it is completely inaccurate garbage; Some of it is surprisingly dead on."

"Oh, thank you! This might help me better understand you, Star Swirl is one of the worlds most renowned magic spell writers. He actually passed away a few years ago." She exclaims with a bit of dread in her voice; her ears fold to her head confirming my suspicions.

"How old was this guy?" Knowing he was writing about my kind when we started going extinct as stated in the book.

"No pony knows exactly how old he was; last I read he was going on his 2090th birthday before he passed away; that is if I recall correctly… and he was a unicorn, so that means he was 19 times older than the average unicorn pony…" Twilight’s brow now furrows her brow trying to think about something as I ask a question of my own.

"So what? He used a life potion or something? Has to be something in that area, right?" I return to my spot between Rarity and Rainbow as Twilight looks at the book in her magic.

"Not sure… Some ponies say it was a potion… Myself and many others more think otherwise, we may never know what. He was, after all a very introverted pony who hid his works away."

"Ahem, I hate to interrupt your egg head spasm, but you called us here for a reason... Remember." Rainbow Interjects and is now hovering impatiently beside Rarity and me.

"Oh, right, my apologies." Twilight set’s the books down and takes a seat on the opposite couch with Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie.

"I called you here simply because Austin here doesn't have a home right now… He needs a real place to stay for a while; I would do it myself, but;… My spare rooms are full of books and other various objects that I can’t fit anywhere else right now, or as I said; I would house him myself." Rarity almost too quickly speaks up causing me to flinch slightly at her sudden outburst.

"But of course darling! I have a spare room in my boutique that I am not using!" Rarity is now looking up at me, a large smile across her muzzle making me slightly uneasy.

"If Y'all are looking for employment; me and Mac could use help on tah’ farm; we can pay five bits an hour for a full day’s work."

"Well, I have nothing better to do, so why not." I smile in agreement, I reach over to shake Applejacks hoof, she takes it I firmly squeeze it and shake it.

"Perfect, come by the farm at 6 AM sharp,” I release her hoof, she looks at Twilight. “Twi I gotta head back to tah’ farm Mac is goin’ need mah help with some varmets who keep making holes in the barn and chewing up our farm equipment.

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow then, have a good one Applejack.” I give a gentle wave; she stops and looks at me.

“Can call me AJ ya’ hear.” She tips her Stetson at me and exits, leaving the room in silence and all of us looking at each other awkwardly.

“She must like you, she never usually lets ponies call her that on their first day!,” Twilight says with a smile as she continues on. "I suppose that it’s settled. Are you sure you want to stay with Rarity?" Twilight looks at me with very cute and inquisitive eyes.

"Anything is better than my old place, I don’t wanna be a burden on you Rarity it should be me asking her if it’s fine. I couldn't be more thankful for the offer though." I smile warmly at Rarity who is now looking up at me.

"But it isn't a problem atoll dear, shall we depart?" She gets up and starts walking towards the door.

"Yeah, just give me a moment to get my few possessions." I walk over and retrieve the two boxes with everything I need. Before I leave I give Twilight and the others wave and a massive group hug as they all swarmed me into a warm embrace… Never have I felt so at home with a species that isn’t even my own. With all the hugs and waves sorted we walk into the afternoon sunlight.

"So where are we heading?" I walk beside Rarity, taking note of how she walks, which might I add is very proud and prominent.
"Firstly, I must pick up some new fabrics for some projects I am working on this week, after that I must stop to the spa after we drop them off at the boutique."

"A spa, may I ask why a spa?"

"Twilight told me you needed a haircut and some freshening up. I happen to know the owners and they shouldn't mind helping you."

"Oh... Uh… well, I’ve actually never been to a spa.,” Rarirty stops dead in her tracks.

“Never… been to a spa?!,” She dramatically leans towards me, me equally leaning backwards away from her as she shouts.

“HOW ARE YOU ALIVE?!” She gets exasperates extreme levels of drama in each word, each word resulting in me leaning back just a little more to the point I’m going to fall all the while my eyes watching her nervously.

‘Believe me, I’ve been wondering the same thing for years.’

“This simply cannot continue!” she announces with extreme prejudice as she rears up on her hind legs, pressing one into my chest almost causing me to fall.

‘Can still run ya’ know…'

“Uhhh- er uhhhh…,” I stutter as I try to find something to say, clearing my throat and standing up straight as a board. “Uh… Thank you Rarity, again... I cannot thank you and all of you for helping me."

"But it’s not a trouble at all dear!" The previous conversation being completely overwritten as if it never happened… Catching my breath I pick up the pace to catch up to her now noticing a really menacing, almost malicious smile on her face.

‘You ponies will be the death of me…’

<><><><><> One Short Walk Later… <><><><><>

Even not being told the time of year it is, I can already tell its either late July or late June; the heat bearing down on the back of my neck and the sweat that is pouring from my head is a very clear indication…That and I was never great with heat anyways. How these blasted ponies are able to walk in the summer with fur and this much heat is a great mystery to me. Nor have I ever felt this much heat in my two tours of service; well, maybe boot camp, but that’s another story… Despite the blazing heat and the fact Rarity not sharing her umbrella; (where she got said umbrella is beyond me), nor do I feel inclined to ask either. Sometimes it’s better off not knowing; sadly it isn’t big enough to cover us both from the sun anyways.

Not long after we finally made it to the fabric store, (thankfully it has a massive fan, I stood by the entire time Rarity was buying her fabrics). Once she got the fabrics she levitated a few over to me to help her carry home, not that I mind anyways; this being the least I can do since she offered me a place to stay for a while. It didn’t take long after we got them sorted and checked for defects once satisfied with all the fabrics and were all accounted for we tie them up and take them back to her boutique. Originally I thought the walk to her place would be short, and boy was I wrong…

Her boutique is bordering on the outskirts of Ponyville and from what she has told me so far, she is quite renowned in the fashion world for her unique designs for dresses and suits and various other clothing products. So why the hell is her business this far from the center of Ponyville is very odd (at least to me it is), but oh well who am I to judge her, after all she seems like she’s been pretty successful so far.
“Here we are!” Rarity snaps me out of my thoughts and points her hoof at a very tall, slender home with two large windows with a very interesting paint scheme of white and blue on the very top are ponies in a formation, literally suggesting it’s a carousel to literally say “I MAKE CLOTHES HERE!”, finally getting the words to describe it and the same words to break the awkward silence between me and Rarity I quietly clear my throat.

"So this is your boutique, it almost reminds me of Roman Cathedrals."

"What are Roman Cathedrals?,” She looks up at me, I make to answer her but she cuts me off. “You must tell me all about it sometime it sounds really interesting!" she opens the door and quite suddenly a wash of cold air hits us.

‘I was going to say that’s rude to cut me off- but ohhhh god that feels soooo good right now.’

"Remind me sometime and I’ll tell you about it- for now though, and if it’s all the same with you… I would love to sit down and enjoy the cold air." I give a slight chuckle and she joins in with a very cute giggle as she levitates the fabrics from my grip and walks upstairs. She gestures for me to follow her.

"The weather ponies said they needed to dry out the residual water from last week; basically dry everything out to make room for light rain scheduled before the Solar Sun Celebration, something to do with adding natural beauty.” She sets her fabrics on a table outside a room with a sewing machine emblem nailed on the door.

"Your room is down the hall, give me just a moment and I’ll give you a tour." She opens the door, I follow her in and to my surprise there are mannequins of ponies everywhere, each with extremely colorful and uniquely sewn dresses (oddly enough, none for males… something I will ask about later.),

Looking up I see several banners emblazoned with a sun and moon at equal height creating a beautiful barrage of colors. Looking back down Rarity is putting the new rolls of fabric on holders for use later and looks at me briefly before exiting the room. It didn’t take long for her to lead me to my room since it was just up the hall, she opens the door and gestures for me to follow before speaking.

"I’m not sure what kinds of rooms were considered normal for you and your kind, but for a pony this room has all the essentials fairly large, I hope it is enough for to get comfortable."

“This will do just fine! If only you saw what I was living in before… Just about anything beats that.” She giggles while using her magic to open the curtains and sun shades allowing light to pour in.

“Do excuse the clutter, I haven’t been up here in a while.” I look to my right to see a old mannequins and some boxes of whatever was in them (dare I ask). Looking to my left I see the bed rivals the size of a king size bed by human standards, next to that is the night stand with matching twin lamp on the opposite side, above that is a metal decoration piece above the bed; just about everything in here mimics a comfy hotel room, definitely enough to be comfortable with.

“You say this is standard for most ponies’ right?” She looks at me a curious expression on her muzzle.

“Yes, by most ponies’ standards this is a normal room.”

“Huh, this room rivals the size of a lovely hotel.” I smile and her curious expression now one of shock.

“B-but how?”

“Probably the size differences between you and me.” My eyes widen as I realize what I’ve just said.

“D-did you just call me fat?” If I had a mirror I’d probably have eyes the size of dinner plates.

“N-n-no, I didn’t!”

‘You’re on your own pal’.’

“I Really didn’t mean it like that at all!?” My voice, stuttering as I try to reverse out of this situation. Good going on my part not even unpacked already making fun of ponies… However, as bad as things are going to get my ears are only met with Rarity laughing. Making me trip over my thoughts like dominos.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Because you are so much like other stallions!” She practically breaks down in a fit of laughter ditching her posh attitude. In the heat of the moment I’m frozen to the spot my eyes probably wide as dinner plates.

‘That didn’t just happen.’

“Darling, even I must have some fun sometimes.”

‘You… you she demon…’

“Oh come now dearie, shall we go on with that tour I promised you?” seeing no other logical or beneficial way besides the one she’s offering me right now. Hesitantly, I nod at her a smile forming across her muzzle she walks by me leaving me in the room, I put down the two boxes I brought with me from Canterlot. I’ll have to get the history book Twilight gave me later on tomorrow.

“Are you coming?” I hear Rarity, I passively listen as I continue to stare at the boxes.

“Yeah, give me a second, would you?”

“But of course.” She hesitantly looks at me before leaving, I listen for her hoof steps to fade before I return my attention to the box, almost hesitantly I open the lid that belongs to the seal stamp Twilight had shown me how to use earlier.

Something about my life here seems so unreal to me; I never thought id be in a world full of ponies that re-populated the desolate wasteland sure may have taken the better part of two millennia, but they did it and that still surprises me. Even reading Stavo’s diary still seems so unbelievable to me considering I spoke to him a week before the first impact, the only regret I have so far is leaving them behind; I have to live with knowing I abandoned the remainder of the human race when it need everyone. Yet these ponies are forgiving of my nature, and have allowed me to message royalty… It’s going to take a while to get used to- that’s putting it mildly.

Setting the stamp back, I tuck both boxes under the bed for safe keeping and walk into the hallway, easily remembering the way Rarity brought me in from I go downstairs. Peeking around a corner, I find her taking measurements of something in her magic.

“I’m good now.” I walk up beside her to find she’s levitating a box full of jewels and near her face she’s examining a huge ruby (huge by my standards...).

“Ah, that’s good to hear, be a dear and pass me that second magnifying glass would you?” Looking over to the area, she points to the desk, I find a much larger pair of magnifying glasses gently I pick them up by the side as not to smudge the lenses.

“Here you go.” She takes them from my grasp and looks at the ruby closer.

“This jewel is simply divine!”

“I would imagine so, that thing is huge.”

“This is actually a lot smaller than most.”

“How!? How can it possibly be- you know what I don’t wanna know nor do I care anymore. The lesson of the week don’t question anything anymore…” I look straight at Rarity with the blankest of expressions before long she begins laughing.

“Heh- I’m sure there’s a lot more you can learn other than that!” she exclaims with a very posh accent.

“All in due time. Now I believe you wanted to give me a tour?” I give her a smile as I look around the room now noticing several dresses are on display including a small stage.

“Oh of course!, Ahem, this room is where I display all of my new work’s and some all time favorites such as this one.” She walks over to a mannequin with a beautiful red wine dress, black lacing around the edges and golden pieces of fabric draping down the back. Overall, it’s a very beautiful article of clothing.

“Very beautiful, may I?” I hold my hand out to touch it looking at her for confirmation.

“Go ahead!” She offers me a smile, I gently run my hand down the dress, it feels remarkably soft, rivaling the feeling of silk.

“Impressive.”

“Thank you!” she turns slightly red as she shakes it off gently as to not ruin her mane style; once she regains her composure, she begins walking to a nearby room, me following close behind I follow through the door to find this is a kitchen and dining room.

“I don’t think this room needs explaining does it?” Rarity turns around to face me a smile on her face.

“Nah, so far you’ve covered the upstairs, the showroom, your sewing room, and my room.”

“Ah the only rooms left are Sweetie Belle’s room, the bathroom, and the downstairs living room. There’s not a lot to see.”

“Ah, that’s fine Rarity, my house didn’t have a lot to show off either, if that’s any condolence to you.” I chuckle a bit while pulling out a chair and taking a seat near her.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what was your home like?” Her horn, glows a very faint blue as she pulls up a chair in front of me.

“Hmmm, well down near the door, I had a couch surrounding an entertainment system (‘Tv’s exist here…? Probably not...’) near that I kitchen had an island to where we could watch and talk to people in the living room, go upstairs my room and a guest room and a bathroom. OH and the back room which leads on to a sort of backyard porch,”

“There really wasn’t a lot interesting about my home, I only had the basics sorted out.” I put my hand to my chin gazing into the past as I think about my home only for my thoughts to be broken by another question.

“It sounds quite interesting. Did you have fashionistas then too?”

“Oh of course we did, but those were usually reserved for the really upper class folk. I could never afford those even if I tried.”

“Then who made… those…?” she points a disgusted hoof at my digital camouflage Marine pants.

“These? They are our military standard Camo pants, they are just casual, so if we were called into duty we had em’. Though these are my personal pair, our base had floral color I kept these from when I was in the service.” I give a rather cheeky smile.

‘The stories this pair of pants could tell…good and bad...’

“Oh.”, She blankly states before raising a hoof. “If you want I could take a few measurements and make some new cloths for you.” Without hesitation or even asking what the catch is.

“YES…”, Rarirty flinches. “I-I mean, yes, that would be greatly appreciated!” the excitement in my cheeks heating up and probably showing as bright as the sun.

“Later tomorrow, then work for you dear?” her horn glows once more only this time, causing a resounding crack, on instinct I fling myself to the ground and cover my head, after a moment of silence I look around to see Rarity her mouth agape.

Holy shit! What the fuck was that!” I sit back up slightly, looking around for the source of the sound.

“I only teleported my clipboard here.” She looks at me sheepishly.

“Why does it make such a loud noise?” I get to my feet and put the chair back my hands slightly shaking from adrenaline.

“That’s a normal thing for some unicorns, but why did you jump like that?” she sets the clipboard down gently, thinking I might jump at the slightest noise.

“I served in two tours for my country, I’ve seen a lot of things, things I wish I didn’t have to see, the doctors back then sent me to therapy; I got somewhat lucky… They said I only have a mild case of PTSD, or if you don’t know what that means; it means Post-traumatic stress disorder; for lack of a better way to describe it- loud noises can startle me into fight or flight mode.”

“Some royal guards go through similar problems, but yours seems a lot more severe than theirs are.”

‘I don’t think these guys have explosives even…’

“That’s supposed to make me feel better?”

No, I’m sorry if that comes out rude- but I have met retired guardsmen who have been in those sort of situations; they have never done or acted the way you just did.”

“Jeez, maybe I do need a spa treatment.” I jokingly chuckle.

“OH, that’s right! I almost forgot, we should probably get going.” She magically grabs me by the arm and yanks me through the door nearly knocking me face first into the archway. Rarity not complying with how I’m putting resistance against her, eventually I give up and follow with her; her grip never loosening.

'Help me!'

<><><><><>Spa Field day…<><><><><>

‘Note to self, make sure to note so Unicorns do NOT magically grab me… EVER.’

Rarity is still hauling ass with me in tow locals moving out of our way, I can’t help but feel my cheeks heating up as I blush from how awkward this looks to others. Though other ponies we pass must’ve noticed my flushed face, as they got their hooves over their mouths as they giggle. Despite my distraught face screaming “Help me!”

‘YET NO ONE IS HELPING ME! COME ON PEOPLE!’

My eyes practically pleading for someone to help me from the unicorns immense grip; out of everything going on I won’t lie, I considered chewing my own arm off like a trapped coyote. As quickly as those thoughts crossed my options Rarity releases me using her magic to keep me from falling face first into the ground.

“Here we are!”

“You could have just let me run at my own pace ya’ know! Dragging me doesn’t help me.” I rub the area where she was grabbing me with her magic.

“Sorry…” she looks down slightly.

“It’s cool, so where is here?” Her ears perk up almost immediately.

“This is the local spa, the spa twins also know how to cut manes’ so this area is a one stop shop.”

“Sounds good, but this isn’t a mane, it’s just hair.” I give a smile and she shakes her head a smirk across her muzzle.

“After you!” I pull open the door for her to enter before me.

“How chivalrous of you!” She enters and I look back towards the forest in the distance…

‘Could still run.’

Hesitantly, I follow behind her, the first thing that greets me is the pleasant smell of coconut and something else… mango? My thoughts being interrupted by a very heavy French accent.

“Welcome to La Te Da spa how may ve-... zerve you...? Ah! Miz Rarity it'z good to zee you!” A blue pony behind the counter with an extremely heavy French accent quickly runs out front to greet Rarity, however I notice she’s carefully observing me.

“It is good to see you too lotus! I do apologize for coming unannounced, but my friend here could use some attention.” I cough into my hand causing the blue pony to flinch slightly.

“Oh, right where are my manners! This here is Austin, Austin, this is Lotus, a family friend.”

“It is a pleasure to meet you.” I offer my hand to her and surprisingly, she takes it and shakes it daintily though judging how she’s slightly shaking she is just as uncomfortable as I am.

“What iz it that he needz.”

“He needs his ma-Hair cut and if you can give him my usual, if he want’s that is.”

“But of courze!” instantly she disappears into another room, she comes back with another pony noticing they have similar mane styles.

“Follow uz pleaze.” Their French accents almost match perfectly. I nod and look back at Rarity who is now smiling and waving a hoof at me.

‘Am I detecting...Twins?’

I walk behind the two ponies who look back at me one with interest the other with a look of curiosity.

“Erm zizter?”

“What iz it? She speaks with a slightly less heavy French accent.

'boy can I call shit from a mile off?'

“I don’t think he fit’z into what ponies zit in.” she giggles

“If I must ill sit on a bucket and take a buzz cut if I have to.” Both of them begin giggling, they look at me this time they lock their eyes with mine… The eyes man…the eyes… They must have known what I was thinking they burst out laughing in a very adorable giggle some French people would do back in the day. They open a door and hold it open for me, I walk in and see a row of seats and two large mirrors hanging over a counter that’s covered with several pairs of scissors, rollers, combs, and brushes.

“Letz zee if he can even zit down.” I take that as my cue to try and sit in the chair, luckily my ass still fits in this chair.

“Zo how would you like your er-,”

“Hair.” I interject helping her.

“Right! Your hair cut?” she opens a few drawers before going behind me to the wall to get something similar to a slash bandolier, she returns to the drawer and pulls out a small razor blade, scissors, and a comb. Then one thing popped into my head.

‘How the hell is she going to use those scissors…?’

“Is it possible you can get it as short as possible on the top without seeing too much of my skin? Oh, and cut these off.” I gesture to my sideburns from the ear down to be removed.

“Zimple enough!” she exclaims almost as if this was another day she gets started by taking wetting my hair down and combing it back and from what I can see she uses her mouth to hold a razor before gently taking off a massive amount of my hair. Once she was satisfied with how much she’s taken off, she takes out the scissors and they start opening and closing on their own as she takes the comb and cuts down more bit by bit.

Before long she finishes and she gently shaves off my side burns with the razor before happily announcing she’s done.

“How did I do today?” she sets everything back on the counter and hangs the bandolier on the wall.

“Remarkably like how it used to be, actually.” I run my hand through enjoying the prickly sensation of short hair along my palm.

“I don’t think I’m going to need the usual Rarity offered me, perhaps another time. Hey, what is your name anyways?”

“My name iz Aloe.” She looks up at me smiling.

“Lotus and Aloe; very pretty names!” Aloe is now smiling happily as she walks out front behind the register.

Don’t let Rarity know I’m paying for this one, not till she asks about it anyways.. They’ve been exceptionally generous to me already.”

“Zat will be five bitz pleaze.” I reach into my pocket I still have the 20 bit coin Twilight explained to me.

“Here, keep the rest as a tip please, you guys deserve it!” Her face now has a bright smile on it that could make anyone scream out loud.

‘Dawwwwwwww!’

“Thank you- but what iz your name?”

“My name is Austin, It is a pleasure to meet you Aloe. Let Rarity know I'll be at home.” I wave and smile to her as I exit into the late afternoon sunlight, looking at my watch it says it’s roughly 15:14, (3:14 P.M). I see a few ponies staring at me with looks of curiosity as I walk back to the boutique, some of which waved to me.

‘These ponies are weird.’

“Hey, you!” I faintly hear a voice call out, but it’s probably not me… right?

“Hey, you! Thing on two legs!”

‘Please be the other guy on two legs...’ A soft hoof taps my waist causing me to flinch.

“Thanks for stopping!” I turn around and look down to find a brilliantly green pony with orange/yellow eyes.

‘Fuck…’

“Um… Can I help you?” I blankly ask.

“Are the rumors true? Are you a human?”

“That depends on who’s asking?”

“Oh, sorry! Lyra Heartstrings!”

“Pleasure; Yes, I’m a human, names Austin.”

“Wow, T-this is unbelievable, I’ve read so much about your kind- you have no idea how hard it is to find information on your long lost civilization.”

“I don’t need a book to tell ya’ that much…” I chuckle slightly.

'Stalker alert...Abort, Abort!'

“It’s an honor to meet you! Ever since I was a filly I was curious about what existed before us.”

“Huh…Well, what can I help ya with.” She’s done it…You fair pony have peaked my interest…

“Would you mind if we took this to my friend’s coffee shop?”

“You had me at coffee, lead the way.” She happily jumps in place and walks by me I follow behind her she’s happily skipping every few steps in happiness. It didn’t take much longer since the coffee shop is on the way towards Rarities boutique, as you would expect as soon as I enter the smell of pure black coffee impacts my nose.

“Hey Bon Bon! Can you get some coffee ready, I brought a special guest!” She glances back at me, a smile still plastered across my face.
“You can sit wherever you want, we’ll be out in a bit.” I nod and pick a seat that is close to a window as possible. To pass the time I look out the window and think about the events that transpired today. As I observe ponies walk down the streets with kids, bags, food in their magical grip; a whole ecosystem rebuilt from the ground up from the ashes we left behind.

“Here we go.” A gentle tapping noise of glass to a wood surface I look to my right to see Lyra taking a seat like me, she looks highly uncomfortable.

“Bon Bon will be out in a second she’s got one more order to finish.” Lyra levitates over a few cups and a sugar bowl and a pair of tongs.

“How do you like yours?”

“Three sugar, please.” She levitates the coffee pot and pours me a glass and levitates three sugar cubes into it. I take it and sip the steaming black liquid, the sharp taste of caffeine coursing through my veins, combined with a sweet and half bitter taste it leaves behind.

“Best cup of coffee I’ve had a in a long time.”

“You should thank Bon Bon for that, I can’t cook nor serve drinks to save my flank, but I can play a harp.” She smiles sheepishly as she rubs the back of her head nervously.

“That actually sounds nice.”

“Really?”

“A long time ago Harps were considered peaceful, very beautiful instruments that had an equally beautiful sound.”

“Sorry I’m late that last batch of candy was a thorn in my-“ she stops her rant halfway.

“Well, don’t just leave it hanging there.” I sit up straight with a smug look on my face.

“Lyra; when you said you brought a guest I thought you meant pony.”

“This is better Bonnie, this is Austin, in other words;” she breathes for a second while looking at me.

“He’s that human that ponies have been rumoring about.”

“Uh-huh… Highly unlikely, remember Lyra they taught us they were extinct over 2000 years ago.”

“Well, ya’ know that; but I am in fact, a human.”

“Why should I believe you.”

“I survived by unconventional means, how I’m here is a stroke of luck and stupidity on my part, if that isn’t enough, I’m wearing devices that your world hasn’t even seen yet.” I gesture to my wrist watch that stunned Twilight earlier.

“Touché.” She smirks and takes a seat, but this time she isn’t sitting like Lyra.

'wow that actually worked. Yus...'

“So you had some questions for me?” I cross my arms and lean back in the chair.

“Oh, yes!”

<><><><><>Later that evening.<><><><><>

For the longest time I thought they’d never stop asking me questions about the human race, be it on the political side of things to the basics they asked me question after question, though it probably beats sitting around Rarities boutique; granted, I enjoyed my time with them and so far I’ve made some new acquaintances and maybe down the line some lifetime friends. That said the sun is beginning to set my watch confirming it’s 10 till 8 Lyra and Bon Bon gave me something to do for four and a half hours. Surprisingly enough the local shops are all beginning to close as pony’s head home for the night, the boutique in my sight I pick up the pace and jog home and knock on the front door.

“Where have you been all day?!” Her face looks like she’s been worried sick- and crying?

“I got my hair cut, and Lyra found me, speaking of, I made some new friends.” Her look changes slightly to one of relief.

“I was so worried, Aloe said you were going home and I didn’t find you hereandIdidn’tfindyouandIthoughtyouweretaken.” I put my finger to her muzzle silencing her.

“I’m fine Rarity, I can handle myself- and Twilight trusted you to house me, she obviously has faith in you and myself, and you can always know I will come back.” Her eyes grow wide as she puts on the cute puppy dog eyes.

“Pinkie Promise?” she emphasizes with her lower lip.

“Pinkie what?” she stops the face and acts out the steps, I copy her actions and she hugs my waist; Gently I pat the back of her curly mane with a resounding giggle from her as we go inside. Exchanging a wave I walk upstairs pulling out the box full of wax and blank scrolls. Taking a seat on the bed, I grab a jar of ink and white quill, I dip the point into the ink gently and begin writing a practice letter.

"Dear... Princess... Luna…" I write sloppily over the paper I pause and thinking about what I’m going to write. Choosing the first thing that comes to mind, I dip the quill in again and begin writing.

"I don't know how to start or even begin to thank you and your sister for one, as I write this as a practice note of sorts I hope it finds you well, even though I know I will have to wait to send this tomorrow well when you are asleep..." I scribble and drip ink all over the page and I frown and just keep writing using the small pool of ink to keep writing.

"I don’t know who I’m kidding, honestly, I don’t know how pony folk can think I can forget the past so easily just how much has drastically changed, It wasn’t subtle for me one day I try to escape and somewhat pray I die, what feels like a day later I fall out and break my nose. Heh, pleasant way of starting off in a new world yet...” I pause to think about how I’m going to put this.

Yet I can’t help but feel this is my luck, maybe it’s god’s way of telling that I should see how evolution works, or maybe I’m here to keep these ponies from following down the same path… And here I am ranting in a letter I’m not even sending… If I had a wish; IF I did have just one wish, I would like to see all of my friends and family one more time and ask their forgiveness of what I’ve done."
I stop writing and set the quill aside and frown upon what I’ve written, in anger I crumple the paper and throw it in the corner.

"Fuck it…" I take my shirt off and toss it at the end of the bed and attempt to fall asleep and mentally prepare myself Applejacks farm early in the morning.

Author's Note:

Had very little help editing such a massive chapter I made it this long so it could count not only as a double chapter; but also allow him to meet a few new ponies other than Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rainbow, boy is he in for it in the next chapter...

Also, behold my largest chapter in the story so far- over 9.8K words I'm exhausted.
Secondly. Almost 900 views, on the first chapter and over 4000 on the story total. wha-HOW?! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :rainbowkiss:

As always if you see any errors, please point them out for me to fix. Thanks!

Special Thanks:
Sean Perez for pushing me to write this, and meeting me personally!
Fluttershy Ze Medic for character development ideas.
Ben717, Help with southern accent for Applejack.

Thanks guys!

See Y'all in the next chapter! Bye Bye!