• Published 19th Apr 2014
  • 1,443 Views, 69 Comments

Yes, Princess - The Usurper



Everypony thinks that a Princess has all the power, but oftentimes, the real power lies behind the throne. And when a Princess and her Royal Court clash, things change. Twilight Sparkle is determined to make sure that it changes for the better.

  • ...
5
 69
 1,443

New Princess in Town

2nd December, 2013

I'm worried. Very worried. Princess Celestia called me to Canterlot today and she didn't say why. My advance notice came in the form of one of her dragon-fire letters, and all there was was a curt message instructing me to meet her at once.

[Ed: Thanks to the meticulous and organised nature of our Princess, many relevant documents have been recovered for reference in this work. We have reproduced the letter below for your reference.]

For Princess Sparkle's eyes only:

Dear Twilight,

Please come to Canterlot at once. There is a matter of the utmost urgency that we have to discuss.

Signed,

Princess Celestia

[The journal continues.]

The worst part is that I don't know why she wants to see me or why her message is so vague. She might be in trouble and I wouldn't know it! I'd just be sitting here by myself in the train car, filling in the empty pages of my diary, when I should be out there taking care of something! It's so frustrating. I just wish the message was a little bit clearer. Maybe then I would have the time to think things over instead of rushing straight into whatever's waiting for me.

I'll just have to hope for the best. Not that I keep my hopes high anyway. I suppose I'll just practice my breathing exercises in the corner.


3rd December, 2013

I've been played. Played by my beloved ex-mentor. And she did it so well. As much as I adore and worship her, she can be very crafty and underhoofed when she wants to be.

When I got to the station, the Princess welcomed me warmly, thanking me for coming on such short notice. Even now, the conversation is still bouncing around in my head. I have to write it down.

"Ah, welcome." She said with a smile. If only I'd known that there was a hidden meaning behind it! "I'm so glad you could join us here in Canterlot."

"Um, good morning, Princess." I gave a short bow out of habit.

She chuckled. "It's two in the afternoon, Twilight."

My cheeks burned. "Uh... good afternoon?" I never really had a talent for improvisation.

She just looked at me and laughed gently. I didn't feel much better.

"Just follow me, dear Twilight." She said. I followed her meekly. Thoughts were racing through my head the whole time. What was the emergency? Why weren't my friends summoned along with me? The Elements of Harmony were and had always been our first measure against evil, so maybe this urgent matter wasn't about stopping any force of darkness like it had always been in the past. Right?

I wanted my questions to be answered. I didn't like what I was told.

Princess Celestia led me to the throne room and dismissed the guards. They left me alone with her.

"Twilight." She began.

"Yes?" I shrank under her gaze. It was so... penetrating.

"I need to ask you for a favour."

"A favour, Princess?" I asked cautiously.

"Yes." She said. "Do you know that I will be away from Canterlot, along with Luna, on a trip to the Crystal Empire?"

I did know that. I said as much.

"But do you know how long the trip will last?"

This, I wasn't sure of. "No, Princess."

"It will be at least a year."

I think my jaw was hanging open, because she hastened to reassure me that everything was fine and that Equestria would be able to function adequately without its leaders to govern it.

"The Royal Court is very capable. They will be able to handle almost everything in my absence."

"But, Princess... why did you call me here, then?" I asked. And I suspected, with growing dread, that I already knew the answer.

"Even if the Court is capable of taking care of most issues, there are some which only a sovereign can take charge of. And Equestria needs somepony on the throne while we are gone. So..."

I sighed heavily. "You need me to be the Princess on your behalf while you're away."

She nodded and smiled hopefully. Although now that I think about it, hopefully isn't the best word to use - it implies that there's a chance that things wouldn't have gone her way.

She'd cleverly backed me into a corner. If she hadn't asked me in person, I'd have just sent a letter back to her with a hundred reasons why I couldn't rule Equestria, coupled with statistics, facts and sound reasoning. But she knows that I'm a nervous wreck around her, and without access to my books I can't form such a detailed argument. I had nothing to say. But I had to say something.

"But... I can't!" I choked out eloquently.

"You can, Twilight. I have faith in you."

This calmed me down somewhat. Princess Celestia had faith in my abilities, and she's rarely, if ever, wrong. But I still had my doubts. "But I haven't had any formal training! I need to finish reading How to be a Princess in a Thousand Easy Steps! And I'll have to go and pack first! Oh, what do I need to-"

I wasn't aware that I was rambling, but when she placed a calming hoof on my shoulders, I immediately stopped.

"Don't worry about it. Everything has already been arranged."

I blinked. "It... has?"

"Of course." She said. "The royal servants have prepared a room for you. You can move in within the hour."

"But, my friends!" I protested.

"I've already informed them through Spike. They will be welcome at the palace any time they please."

"And my belongings!"

"You can ask Spike to bring them along. They're still in Ponyville for the time being. Alternatively, I can send a carriage over to deliver them quickly."

"Spike can do it." Inwardly, I was shocked. She already knew that I'd accept.

Then it hit me. I hadn't actually accepted yet!

She must have realized the same thing, because she gave me a quick smile and headed for the door. "Well, it seems the time has come for me to leave. Goodbye, Twilight!"

I tried my best to stop her. I really did. "Wait, Princess! Come back!"

"Don't worry, you'll do fine!" And then she was gone.

The rest of the day was a blur. There were a few servants who entered after the Princess left and dragged me around on a quick tour of the palace. I paid only enough attention to note where the toilet and my bedchambers were. Then they ushered me into my room and told me to rest because tomorrow would be hectic.

Of that, I have no doubts. Even now, a lingering feeling of shock is working its way around my head. I think I haven't grasped the full implications of this yet. Being Equestria's sovereign for a year... it's not something one can absorb easily.

I think I'd better go and rest. It's either that or continue writing this entry, and I've run out of details to add. Maybe tomorrow, if I'm free enough.


4th December, 2013

Oh my Celestia. Today was not free at all.

It began well enough. A gentle knock on my door was meant to be the morning alarm. And it worked; I was very alarmed when I realized that the poor pony had been knocking for ten minutes straight. I tried to invite her into my room to rest, but she declined and all but ran away. I think I must have frightened her somehow.

I quickly bathed and dressed - apparently I've got to wear some ceremonial regalia as an official Princess - and headed straight to the throne room. When I finally arrived I got a most horrific shock.

I was late.

[Ed: In order to shed further light on this situation, and many others in this book, we have inserted several details helpfully provided by then-Assistant Councillor Ician during the many conversations we had.]

High Councillor Ician recalls:

Yes, I remember that day. It was very regrettable that the Princess chose to make a late appearance - it was a rather poor first impression for the Court.

In her absence, High Councillor Mente and I were having a discussion about the change in Princess. Being inexperienced at the time, I foolishly commented that Princess Celestia's departure had made our jobs more difficult.

Mente gave me a strange look. I immediately got the impression that I had spoken without thinking. He explained to me that Princess Celestia's absence was, in fact, very good news. She would not be able to interfere in any Court decisions nor protest any motions we would put forward. Her replacement, Princess Sparkle, would undoubtedly prove far easier to manipulate.

If only he'd known what an impact she would make in her tenure as a ruler.

At that moment, Princess Sparkle walked in the door. We had to cut our conversation short.

[The journal continues.]

There were rows upon rows of ponies in elaborate clothing flanking the red carpet to the throne. The two at the base of the throne caught my attention first. Little did I know that I'd have to spend a lot more time with them than I'd thought. One was a brown earth pony with yellow hair, who, for some reason, looked away guiltily when I stared at him. The other, though, a beige unicorn with an orange mane and tail, returned my questioning gaze with a haughty one.

I already knew that I wouldn't like him.

"Princess," he began imperiously, "may I inquire as to what as-of-yet unknown circumstances led to the subsequent delay which you have obviously suffered, as evidenced by your unfortunate late-coming to this assembly of important personages?"

It took me a while to absorb that. It's a miracle that I even managed to remember it. I think I said something along the lines of "Could you say that in plain Equish?" because he gave me a surprised look.

"My apologies, Princess, but that is in as plain Equish as I could possibly manage." He explained. He looked so serious that I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

"I think he's wondering," the brown earth pony helpfully interpreted, "why you are late, Princess."

"Oh, now I understand." I said.

"I see." The unicorn maintained his arrogant air. "She wanted crude Equish, not plain. Thank you for clarifying my position, Ician."

"My pleasure, High Councillor Mente." He replied. Of course the nice one has to be the subordinate.

"I was late," I snapped back, "because the alarm I asked for was just a soft knock on my door. So soft that I could barely hear it!"

"Oh my." He remarked. "Our dear Princess Celestia didn't even think to furnish her replacement with information pertaining to her daily routine."

A low murmur echoed around the hall. I didn't know what to say. What daily routine? I decided to ask him.

"Princess Celestia is accustomed to a certain cycle every morning. This is her sort of wake-up call. We assumed that her protégé would follow in her hoofsteps." That made sense, at least.

"Well, you assumed wrongly." I said as grandly as I could manage, trying to assert my authority. "But I forgive you."

He looked at me with raised eyebrows. Ician gave me a shocked expression. I had a feeling that I looked like a clueless fool who had just blundered her way into a hall of intellectuals.

High Councillor Ician recalls:

Princess Sparkle did indeed appear rather foolish. Princess Celestia, in all her years as a reigning monarch, had never made herself out to be greater than the others of the Court. This meant that Princess Sparkle's actions that day were unprecedented. It made her seem self-important. Granted, most of the Court and the Civil Service were self-important as well, but, hypocritical as they were, they immediately labeled the Princess as undesirable.

I am ashamed to say that I, too, fell under the impression that she was as pompous as the others had made her out to be. Further conversations with her washed away my doubts, though. But for that moment, Princess Sparkle had no allies in the Court.

[The journal continues.]

I hoped against hope that there was a way to salvage the situation. I couldn't think of anything. I was rooted to the spot in panic.

And then, slowly, Mente said, "With all due respect, Princess, you really have no idea how you are supposed to act, are you?"

I nodded meekly. What else could I do?

"While it is saddening that Princess Celestia has not educated her temporary successor in the ways of royalty," he addressed the rest of the room, "it most undoubtedly shows her faith in us, the Royal Court and the Civil Service, to continue the affairs of state in her absence."

That elicited an excited response from the others. I suppose they must be happy that the Princess has such a high opinion of them.

He went on with some long-winded and complex speech that I couldn't understand, but I remember him saying something about "wholeheartedly supporting our new Princess" and "educating her in the ways of good government", so I think he was on my side.

I couldn't believe it - and I still can't. Maybe I'd misjudged him. Despite his apparent arrogance, I think I can trust him to have my back. I owe him that trust after he saved me from profound embarrassment!

He welcomed me to the throne. I took a seat gratefully, glad that the whole fiasco was over. Then the Court session began. Over the course of the day, I learnt a few things:

1. Apparently, these sessions only happen once every week. The focus of each one varies from session to session, but this one in particular was about the allocation of funds from the Equestrian Royal Treasury to the separate Ministries. There is a system whereby individual departments, headed by Ministers, cooperate in their own capacities to run the kingdom. They each need a certain amount of money to function, so it's up to me to decide who gets how much. Mente assured me that he and my Assistant Councillor, Ician, would guide me in making the right decisions.

2. Each one of these Ministers - they were the ones along the side of the throne room - are apparently nobles in one way or another. Dukes, barons... even Prince Blueblood, whom I'm fairly certain is the pony Rarity was with at the Gala, was the Minister of Foreign Relations. Many of the senior civil servants under them are knights, which means they are usually addressed with the prefix 'Sir'. But since I basically 'outrank' everypony, I don't need to worry about the various modes of address if I don't want to. I might just do away with it - I think moving up to a first-name basis might bring them closer to me. Making new friends is always good.

3. These sessions can stretch up to hours on end. It seems that everypony's so obsessed with getting their money from the Treasury that they babble on long after everypony's fallen asleep without realizing it. Maybe they think that the activity of their mouths translates to results!

Anyway, I missed lunch and only noticed it when Mente announced that it was late. He continued to say that I wasn't yet used to my schedule so we couldn't expect me to stay on too long. He's quite decent, really, once you get to know him.

He eventually concluded by saying that all the rest of the proposals could go through him. He would make his recommendations to me after active consideration. He asked me for my approval. I gave it readily - no doubt he would do a far better job at it than I would. Not to mention that I was too tired to make any kind of decisions right now.

The session ended with a fanfare of trumpets, and then everypony turned to their own conversations. I retired from the room, Mente and Ician escorting me out, and when I finally pushed through the double doors I sighed with relief. I remarked, tiredly, that I was glad that was over.

"We all are, Princess." Mente said.

I asked him if I'd done a good job.

"For your first day, Princess, you performed admirably." He replied.

"And, if the historical records are to be trusted, even Princess Celestia did worse than you on her first day as a Princess." Ician added.

"Really?" I was intrigued. "What did she do?"

"Apparently, she made a small mistake in her speech. She ended up offending the griffons, dragons, and zebras all at once."

"Oh... my." Never had I imagined my mentor would make such a ghastly error! I'd always pictured her as the epitome of perfection. "How did she resolve that?"

"A Foreign Office miracle." Ician explained proudly. "Her nephew, Prince Blueblood the First, managed to defuse the situation with timely diplomacy. From then on the Blueblood line has always headed the FO - that is to say, the Ministry of Foreign Relations. The Civil Service officials label it unofficially as the Foreign Office, and call it the FO for short."

"How interesting." I said, somewhat untruthfully. I was a bit too fatigued to pay much attention to his explanation of the intricacies of the Foreign Office.

"You must be hungry, Princess." Mente observed. "Would you like to have a late lunch?"

There was a clock on a nearby wall. I checked the time. It was 5pm. "Actually, I think I'll have a short nap before dinner. I am free, right?"

"Yes..." He said slowly. "But you'll be needed at the main dining hall for an official dinner. Publicity for the press."

I asked him when that was.

"About... thirty minutes, Princess."

I thanked him politely, explained that I needed to take my leave, and then rushed off back to my bedchambers. I hope I wasn't too rude.

Great, I spent a good twenty minutes writing this entry. Now I only have ten minutes left. I'll try to get whatever rest I can.


5th December, 2013

Last night's dinner wasn't too bad. At least I didn't make myself look like an idiot in front of the national media. And, against my expectations, there was enough food to sate my hunger completely. I'd commented to Mente, who was sitting beside me, that I thought Princess Celestia had instituted a dieting policy in the Palace some weeks back.

"She did." He said. "But following the change in leadership, her more personal policies have been removed to make way for yours, Princess."

It was a logical course of action. I thanked him for taking the initiative.

"My pleasure." He replied modestly. At least he's keeping his arrogance down.

I was surprised that the reporters, with their cameras and notebooks out, seemed perfectly content with watching the dinner from the sidelines and taking the occasional picture. I had the impression that reporters loved to ask questions and flash their cameras. I guess they decided to be well behaved in front of royalty.

High Councillor Ician recalls:

It was no coincidence that the reporters were not their usual active selves. Mente had spoken to the press earlier, while the Princess was having her nap. He ordered them not to be as... what's the term, 'in your face'? He intended the Princess to be as fresh as she could to next morning when he taught her the 'ways of good government'. In the Civil Service and Royal Court sense, this meant maintaining the status quo at all costs. Of course, Princess Sparkle knew nothing of this.

[The journal continues.]

The food was pretty good too. I guess the cooks here are Princess Celestia's own for a reason.

Encouraged by Mente, I went to bed early and got up early in the morning. It occurred to me, before I went to bed, that I forgot to specify what kind of alarm I'd rather have instead of the soft knocking. Which meant, of course, that nothing would have changed. But I was expecting it this time. I slept lightly and was snapped awake when Blossom - she told me what her name was when I asked later today - knocked on the door.

After I got up and thanked her, I went through my daily routine as fast as I could and hurried off to the throne room. When I threw open the doors, I was greeted with stacks and stacks of paper reaching all the way towards the incredibly tall ceiling.

And at the centre of it all were Mente and Ician, bowing at my approach.

"What's all this?" I gasped.

"Good morning, Princess." Mente said. Ician echoed his greeting.

I wondered if they were avoiding the question. I pressed on. "What's all this?"

"Today's work." Mente explained.

I was horrified. "Today's work?"

"Yes, Princess."

"What... what am I supposed to do with all this?"

"They're proposals."

I'm afraid I misunderstood him at first. I thought he meant marriage proposals. I suppose that's what I get for growing up on romance novels. "Oh my... so many?"

"Yes, Princess."

I was very surprised, and, though I felt somewhat honoured, it was too much to handle on such short notice. "Could you tell all of them no?"

"No?" Mente raised an eyebrow. "All of them?"

"All of them." I stated. "Please reject them."

"Well... you didn't even read them yet." Ician pointed out.

"I don't need to read them to know that it's a bad idea to accept any of them. Not, at least, right now."

Mente paused. "Princess, if I may clarify your stance?"

I told him yes. It was my mistake.

"Despite your apparent lack of knowledge concerning the aforementioned propositions presented by several of your earnest subjects, you have, not to put too fine a point on it, absolutely no intention of accepting any of these over the course of the next twenty-four hours during which you will be predominantly occupied by your obligations as a royal Princess of Equestria. Therefore, although it is, in fact, highly likely that you will not venture very far from the opulent doors of this throne room, you would rather remain conspicuously idle than examine the array of proposed offers, many of which are, in my humble opinion, fairly well thought out and certainly merit a greater amount of scrutiny than what you have currently decided to allow, which is to say, none."

I'm lucky Ician takes detailed notes of these meetings, otherwise I'd never have been able to write this all down. Even my memory has limits!

"Princess," Ician explained, probably having noticed my dumbfounded expression, "he is saying that the proposals deserve greater consideration before you reject them out of hoof."

Thank goodness for translations. "I see."

"After all," Mente added, "we do need a new supplier of apples for Canterlot soon."

Because I was still misunderstanding him, I became somewhat confused. "Apples? What does this have to do with my proposals?"

"It is one of your proposals, Princess." He said.

And then, all at once, I understood. I almost blushed from the acute embarrassment, until I realized that they didn't yet know that I had so gravely misinterpreted Mente's words.

I tried to brush it off. "Ah, I see. I thought the proposals were... more important." In my semi-panicked state, I noticed that I had come up with a halfway logical point. "Yes. I didn't feel up to making decisions of such weight on my second day as Princess."

"Of course." Mente nodded. I was amazed. Either he was more gullible than I thought - I hardly think so - or I'm getting better at on-the-spot thinking. [Ed: It is possible that Mente merely wanted to save his Princess' face, but that's nothing we can prove.]

"We don't wish to burden you with it, if that is not your wish." Ician said.

The misunderstanding cleared up, I turned my attention back to the stacks of papers. "Am I supposed to look through all of this?"

"Well... yes." Mente said.

"Could I... somehow not have to go over all of them?"

"No. Not unless..." He hesitated. "No, you probably won't want that."

"Won't want what?" I asked.

"We - that is, Assistant Councillor Ician and I - could go through these proposals for you, with the assistance of the affected Ministries. We'd make recommendations as to which choice is preferable, and then send you the necessary documents for signing."

It sounded like a lot of work, if it was only the two of them. I questioned him about this.

"We have a number of assistants in the Civil Service who are available to assist us in this task."

I thought that it was a good way to lighten my load. Why had he assumed that I wouldn't want it?

He answered my question before I asked it. "But Princess Celestia had expressed a wish to be informed about everything going on in the nation, and requested that all proposals be presented to her to look through. I had assumed that-"

"- her protégé would follow in her hoofsteps." I finished for him. "Maybe in the future. But for now, I would find it easier to cope if you could help me recommend the decisions."

He looked relieved. "Yes, Princess. As you wish."

His formality reminded me of the plan I'd thought of yesterday. "Actually, that reminds me. I don't want you to keep calling me Princess. Could you just call me by my name?"

Mente shifted uncomfortably. "Well, Princess, if it's all the same to you I'd rather address you as Princess."

"I'd prefer that too, Princess." Ician piped up.

This was disappointing, to say the least. I hoped that they might have been willing to give informality a try, but I suppose I can't fault them for sticking with what they know. "Very well. At least let me use your names."

"Anything you desire, Princess." Mente murmured. "I can only request that you call me by my last name."

That's a start, if nothing else. I asked Ician if he had any preferences.

"You can call me anything you want, Princess." He said. "I am but your faithful servant."

He somehow managed to be both more and less accommodating at the same time. "I want to be your friend, not your master."

"If you say so, Princess." I was getting tired of all the 'Princess'es being thrown around. I told Ician so.

He bowed deeply. "My apologies. I will refrain from such overuse in future."

Frustration welled up. All the subservience irritated me to no end. I insisted that he at least try to be less formal.

"But... I..." He seemed lost. He turned to Mente for help.

Mente cut in smoothly. "With all due respect, Princess, I must express my opinion that, having been operating this way for the past few years, it would be fairly difficult to adjust so quickly. And," he observed sharply, "it's rather like your own adjustment to your royal duties."

He was right. Understanding washed the anger away. "Of course. I'm sorry, Ician. Can you accept my apology?"

"I- uh-" He wanted to say yes - it was obvious on his face - but I think he was stressing out about how to say it in the least formal but most respectful way possible.

"Don't worry." I told him gently. "You can say it however you like."

"Thank you, Princess." He bowed with evident relief. "I greatly appreciate your understanding."

"It's nothing, really." I replied.

After that, we got down to serious work. I went through the first few proposals, with Mente helpfully summarising everything for me - or rather, with Mente translating them into advanced incomprehensible Equish and Ician translating them back into plain. Although, to be fair, after I glanced at one of those proposals I realised that they're pretty incomprehensible on their own.

When I got to the one about Canterlot's apple supplier, I suggested Applejack right away. She seemed like the obvious choice to me. However, surprisingly, Mente blanched.

"With respect, Princess," he said, "I feel that perhaps Applejack might not be the best choice."

I was puzzled. "Why not?"

"Erm, well, the quality of her produce is suspect."

"By who?" I asked crossly.

"Certainly not by anypony respectable, Princess." He backtracked quickly. "But this small group of misguided ponies would result in a net decrease of public patronage for the Apple family."

"But they're just a small group." I pointed out.

"Well, yes, but a rather large small group."

I just stared at him.

"That is, it is disturbingly large for a classification of small." He hastily amended.

"The Apple Family won the Best Produce in Equestria Award for three years running." I reminded him. "Not to mention I can personally attest to the quality of Applejack's apples."

"Most certainly, Princess. But I'm afraid that might not be enough for this group."

I was getting fed up. "What is this group?"

"Oh, just a little... um... group."

"What are they?" I demanded.

"We... don't quite know." He admitted.

"Then how do you know they exist?"

"They always exist." He insisted. "In Canterlot, produce from small villages like Ponyville are always looked down upon."

"Perhaps," Ician suggested, "it would be better to leave this matter aside for future consideration."

Mente agreed quickly. "Yes, to make such an important decision on the spur of the moment would be precipitate."

"Premature." Ician added.

"Exactly." With that, Mente hurriedly moved on to the next proposal, giving me no chance to object further.

A few hours passed, with the endless mass of proposals being read out to me. Truth be told, I wasn't listening too intently to the rest of them. Instead, I was busy wondering about the apple supplier problem.

When lunchtime came at last, Mente excused himself politely, bowed, and departed. Ician did the same, but before he could leave I stopped him.

"Can I ask you a question?"

He look surprised. "Of course, Princess."

Briefly, I questioned if he remembered the problem about who the next apple supplier would be.

"Yes, I do. Why?"

"Is there something Mente isn't telling me about the whole thing?"

"Well..."

"Because, if there is," I said, "I want to get to the core of it."

Ician chuckled. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

"I'm sorry, Princess, I thought you were making a... never mind, do go on."

Not wanting to beat around the bush, I went straight for the crux of the issue: Why did Mente seem so opposed to Applejack's selection as the supplier?

To my surprise, Ician shrugged helplessly. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer."

"You don't?"

"I don't." He repeated.

He then went on to explain to me that, as a mere Assistant Councillor, he was not privy to all the information Mente, as High Councillor, was, and as such he hadn't been informed of any circumstances pertaining to the issue, if indeed there were hidden circumstances surrounding it.

"Though I'm sure he has his reasons." He finished.

A sudden thought struck me. "Could it be... that he's one of those ponies who can't stand common village food?"

"Um..." Ician hesitated. In other words, he didn't deny it!

"And to think," I fumed, "that I thought he was on my side this whole time!"

"Princess," he begged, "don't you think you should ask him about this first, before you jump to conclusions?"

I didn't see why I should bother. The facts certainly lined up. He's arrogant, haughty, superior... come to think of it, that's exactly how Rarity described Prince Blueblood. And I already know how that story ended.

"He's the perfect fit for the personality." I reasoned.

"But was his explanation not logical as well?" Ician said desperately.

"I know Applejack won't care if a few snobbish ponies don't buy her apples." I explained.

"Well, um, perhaps you should consult Mente first? I mean, he is far more experienced at the affairs of government..."

"He's made his views quite clear." I said curtly.

Ician tried to speak up again, but I silenced him with a look.

"The point is," I said, "that he's got his own selfish interests in mind. And I'm definitely not letting such a good chance for my friend go to waste."

With that, I let Ician go to have his own lunch, but not before asking him if I could take the rest of the day off.

"You are our Lord and Master, Princess. Your word is law."

"Then I'll rest." I decided.

"As you wish."

I swept out of the room and back to my chambers, silently resolving to think this whole thing over.

Now I'm not even sure if I can trust Mente.

This is appalling.

High Councillor Ician recalls:

Despite the fact that I hadn't been able to provide Princess Sparkle with any explanation, I suspected, with growing dread, that she had misinterpreted the situation. Although I was new to the position of Assistant Councillor at the time, I had been a Private Secretary at the MHSS - the Ministry of Health and Social Security - for a good portion of my career before that. I was wise enough to the workings of the Court to formulate a theory as to why Mente was unwilling to accept Applejack as the supplier.

I searched for him in the palace mess hall. I found him sitting at the table at the far end. When I drew closer, he greeted me warmly and invited me to sit down. I did so gratefully.

I must have looked worried, because he enquired if there was something on my mind. Being bound by confidentiality not to disclose any private conversations with the Princess to anypony, even her High Councillor, I merely hinted vaguely that the Princess was concerned about the apple supplier issue.

"Ah." Mente said gravely. He motioned to me to continue.

I then proceeded to outline, roughly, the facts: That Princess Sparkle did not believe that his argument was sufficiently convincing, and that she was considering ignoring his advice.

"Preposterous." He exclaimed. "Did you not try to talk her out of it?"

I assured him that I did, although she might, regardless, have come to a conclusion that may or may not have been wholly appropriate or accurate in relation to the truth of the matter, though as I myself was not yet fully in the picture I could not defend him with as much conviction as I otherwise might have been able to.

He thus explained the situation to me. It was as I feared. As Applejack was a part of the Apple Family, selecting her as the supplier would undoubtedly bring much power to the one senior member of government who also belonged to that family: Sir Apple Bee, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Administrative Affairs.

Mente had no doubt as to the repercussions. "Apple Bee stands to gain a monstrous amount of power. Wielding such influence over an issue so great as all of Canterlot's apple supply would put him in a position to threaten anypony and, indeed, everypony to achieve his aims."

Naturally, I was aware of this, but I posited the theory that he might not be so irresponsible with his power.

"Not a chance." Mente shook his head sadly. "No one can be responsible with this kind of power."

He was right, of course. I already knew what Sir Apple would do with his newfound influence. It is something that is known to the public as "bureaucratic empire building". In practice, this means that he would convince - i.e. coerce - the Treasury to allocate more budget to his Ministry under pain of economic disaster, which he would have the ability to bring about because of his control over the price of a commodity so high in demand as apples. Then, with a higher budget, he would hire more and more Civil Servants for the Ministry, thus expanding his "empire".

This would be disastrous, for two reasons. Firstly, it would deprive the other Ministries of the money they actually needed. Secondly, it would make the Ministry of Administrative Affairs a monster Ministry, upsetting the balance of power between the Permanent Secretaries and in the Court. It could not be allowed to happen.

I wondered aloud if, were we to explain this to Princess Sparkle, she might reconsider her decision.

"Don't be silly." He admonished. "The Princess barely understands how the Court is supposed to work. She will never comprehend how the Court really works under its façade."

"What, exactly, doesn't she understand about it?" I asked.

"She might be labouring under the impression that the Court works together towards the interests of the country." He replied.

He was right. Princess Sparkle was completely misinformed.

[The journal continues.]


6th December, 2013

I'm thrilled.

My friends visited me today.

They came by at 7a.m. According to Blossom, who woke me up at the usual time, the palace maids prepared the best guest rooms they could find in the ambassadorial wing for them - apparently that's where royal guests usually stay overnight - and gave them the standard welcome package.

When I asked her what the welcome package entailed, she explained to me that it meant free admission to the royal spa, meals provided for as long as they stay, freedom to roam around the palace as they pleased - except the sensitive areas, of course - and complimentary tickets to the Canterlot Opera House's performance of Hinny of the Hills.

It all sounded very exciting. From what I heard, Hinny of the Hills had been sold out for at least a month. But apparently it's sold out because the Ministry of the Arts had bought everything that was left after the first few weeks and were selling some of them at a high price to a few select outsiders and some of them at a subsidised rate for the Ministers and Civil Servants as a reward for a years' hard work. The rest of them were kept for occasions like these, when foreign delegates or royal visitors came around and the Court was eager to show them the "pinnacle of Equestrian civilisation."

After Blossom brought me up to speed, Ician came by for a quick word. I was about to ask him if I could have today off, too, but he preempted me.

"Princess, I've taken the liberty to ask Mente if you could be freed from your royal duties for today, in view of the extenuating circumstances."

"Did he say yes?" I asked cautiously.

He took a notepad out and read: "He explained to me that, as you previously expressed a firm desire to re-adopt the traditional allocation of managerial responsibilities, you have consequently liberated yourself from the intricate details of the minute functions of government and much of the inconvenience and onerous duties that are concomitant of your position, and as such the quantity of tedious tasks with which you would otherwise be summarily occupied have decreased by a satisfactory amount at the present moment, so much so that the total of twenty-four hours of leisure and recreation I requested in your stead would not precipitate an organisational and administrative atrophy the likes of which would render effectively impossible the smooth and efficient discharge of essential governmental duties in your absence."

There was a pained silence.

"Which means...?" I prompted.

He thought for a moment. "Yes."

"Thank you." I replied. I then asked him to leave the note with me, so I could record this piece of immortal prose in my diary.

After that, I went off to the ambassadorial wing to meet my friends. It's so strange; I used to see them every day, but for the first time since that Summer Sun Celebration I hadn't even heard a word about them for three days straight.

I spent ten minutes searching the wing before I realised that they weren't there anymore. For a terrible moment I thought that they'd left without me to the spa or the Opera House, but thankfully my fears were laid to rest when I found them loitering outside the throne room. Apparently they thought that I'd be working today.

To my delight, Spike had come along too. I wondered if he'd have stayed in the library to take care of it while everypony else was gone, but it seems he missed me a little too much.

We had a wonderful, happy group hug, and then they all started to assail me with questions.

"What's it like rulin' over Equestria?" Applejack asked. Looks like the news spreads fast.

"Totally awesome, right?" Rainbow added.

"Ooh, ooh! I'm sure it was sooooo exciting! I mean, this place is huge! Did you know that there's a room with a bouncing castle? Oh, and the other one that's-" At which point Pinkie devolved into a long ramble about pastries.

I laughed. "Really, it's a a lot more work than I thought it'd be."

"What about the palace? It was classy and elegant, no?" Rarity said with a smile.

"I haven't actually seen much of it yet." I confessed. "I've been too busy working."

Fluttershy looked concerned. "You were okay, right? Alone in a new place, your friends away... Wasn't it frightening?"

I chuckled gently and explained that nothing could be further from the truth. "I grew up in the palace, remember? Besides, everypony's been really friendly and cooperative."

"Everypony?" Spike inquired.

"Everypony." I repeated, just before Mente came to mind. "Well, most of the time, at least."

We chatted a little more about my new life. After that, I asked them how Ponyville was while I was gone.

"We miss you dearly, darling, but thanks to Spikey Wikey," she patted him on the head, and he looked up at her with infatuation in his eyes, "the library's been running as per normal in your absence."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Spike."

"Huh?" He snapped out of his reverie. "Uh, no problem, Twilight!"

"Ya know, he's really a little saint." Applejack said. "He's been helpin' everyone out."

"Like me!" Pinkie exclaimed. "He helped me organise my 'Twilight's in Canterlot for a while' party!"

"Oh, and me, too." Fluttershy added. "He's fed my animals for me while I packed to come to Canterlot."

This seemed like a lot for just Spike to handle. I asked, half-joking, if Owlowiscious had done some of the work.

The sarcasm flew right over his head. "Yup, he took care of the library while I was away!"

Applejack nodded. "He's certainly been doin' a lot ta make sure we got ta Canterlot as soon as we could. He even helped me with a small harvest!"

And with that, a brilliant idea came to mind. An idea so wonderful, I can't believe I thought of it myself on the spot.

"Speaking of your apple harvests, Applejack," I began, "I've heard of an opening for Canterlot's new apple supplier." Smiling my biggest smile, I continued, "How would you like Sweet Apple Acres to take over that responsibility?"

Her eyes widened. "Whoa nelly! You ain't pulling my leg, are ya?"

"Of course not." I said.

"... It's a huge honour." She answered giddily, still amazed.

I chuckled. "Well, you deserve it."

"But... wow." She pranced around. "Ah gotta tell Granny Smith about this. She'll be so happy!"

A second idea came to me. "Good idea. Spread the word! Everypony deserves to know."

"Ah don't doubt it." She grinned.

I was almost as excited as she was. Now I've got Mente. Let's see him go back on a royal announcement!

"How about we celebrate this momentous occasion with the Opera House's performance of Hinny of the Hills?" Rarity asked.

"Sounds like just the thing to round this off." I smiled.

So we went off. The play was fantastic. And I was euphoric the whole time.

This is going to be perfect.


[Ed: As previously mentioned in the Editor's Notes, we have recovered several of Mente's papers for publication. Below is an extract from his personal journal, dated the 8th of December.]

Lunched with Worth today. [Ed: Sir Bits Worth was the then-Permanent Secretary of the Treasury.]

He, like the rest of the Court and Civil Service, had already heard of the ghastly rumour about Canterlot's new apple supplier that has been flying around, and he expressed the shock that has been similarly reflected throughout all of the Palace.

He demanded to know why I had not stopped her. I had no choice to explain that, at the time, I was unable to refute the Princess' argument without bringing complex Civil Service manoeuvring into the picture, which would undoubtedly have confused her to no end.

However, I indicated that there was still a way to prevent this travesty from coming to fruition. Since the incident three days ago, I had accumulated a significant number of counter-arguments to the Princess' case.

I shared them with Worth. He smiled beatifically and congratulated me on my far-sightedness.

I asked for his cooperation, for it would surely be needed. He gave it without hesitation.

[The journal continues.]


10th December, 2013

Today was absolutely horrible. But it didn't begin like that.

I woke up feeling happy; though my friends had left yesterday, the news I'd given Applejack was now spreading around the Palace - and all of Equestria, in fact - like wildfire. It was only a matter of time before Mente would be forced to confront me about it, though for the past few days he had been conspicuous by his absence. According to Ician, he had fallen sick. Presumably from worrying about how to handle what I'd done.

But I was rather surprised when I entered the throne room this morning. Sir Worth, the Permanent Secretary of the Treasury, was waiting for me, a displeased scowl on his face. I smiled at him pleasantly, but his scowl only deepened.

"Um," said Ician meekly from behind the newcomer, "Sir Worth would like to have a word with you, Princess."

"Yes, I would." He snapped.

"Oh?" I feigned intrigue. "What about?"

"Princess," he asked, "are these rumours about Canterlot's new apple supplier true?"

I could scarcely believe my ears. "Of course! Why would you think otherwise?"

"Because it is completely ludicrous."

"Are you saying, therefore," I inquired, "that I am an idiot for having spread them?"

He retreated hastily. "No, no, Princess. I merely believe that you have made a premature decision, without sufficient consideration for the repercussions." He took a deep breath, and then eyed me cautiously. "There is profound opposition to your decision in the Court."

As I expected. I hadn't thought that ponies like Prince Blueblood would 'lower themselves' to eating common village food anyway. "Really?"

"Indeed, there is." He said. "And I am here today, on their behalf, to impart some of the arguments that have come my way."

"I see." I was all set to resist. But I hadn't known - couldn't have known! - that he had far better points than I had imagined.

"There is talk," he said carefully, "of nepotism. Corruption."

There was a pause as I assimilated this new information. "What?!" I exclaimed.

"It seems suspicious to some that your immediate, close acquaintance and fellow Element of Harmony would be your first choice for the new supplier."

"That's nonsense." I retorted. "The quality of her apples has been proven. The Best Produce in Equestria award-"

"- Is somewhat less than reliable in its results." Worth interrupted.

This was news to me. "What do you mean?"

"You see," he explained slowly, "The recipient of the Award is not decided by a committee. It is more of a popularity contest than anything else."

"You mean, ponies vote for who produces the best produce?" I supposed.

"Exactly." He nodded.

"I don't see what's so unreliable about that."

"Well, not in itself, perhaps." He acknowledged. "But when you consider that many of the voters in the last contest of the Apple family came from within the family itself..."

"... Ah." This did not look good.

"And," he continued, "as the Award is based upon popular support on a city-by-city basis, rather than an individual one, and support from a city can be won with but slightly more than half of its population in favour of a candidate... well, the reliability of the Award is naturally suspect, especially since a large number of cities fall under great Apple family influence. And many in Canterlot share this view."

"... I see." What else could I say?

"Thus, the accusations of nepotism."

"But," I cried, "I didn't know about this at all!"

Ician coughed politely. I turned my attention to him.

"Sadly, Princess," he said, "that is not enough to vindicate you. You were deemed to have known."

"Then why didn't Mente tell me?" I demanded.

"I think that he may not have known either."

This was absolutely terrible. I was stuck. I couldn't possibly rescind a royal statement, but if I didn't I'd look corrupt.

I shared this view with Ician, who nodded in resigned agreement. "I'm afraid that the only course of action at this point would be to invite Princess Celestia back from her trip early, and-"

I cut him off. "I can't possibly do that!"

"But I'm sure Princess Celestia would understand, if it was an emergency."

Oh, she would understand, all right. She would understand that I couldn't even take care of the kingdom for a week without it falling apart!

"Isn't there anything else I could do?" I asked desperately.

"Actually..." began Worth.

"Yes?" I quickly seized the opportunity. "Actually...?"

"... There may be another way."

"Really?"

"Yes... and no." He replied with caution. "At the moment, Princess, the news of Applejack's appointment is only a rumour. If we act quickly, the Palace can issue a press statement denouncing it as baseless."

"But that's not the truth!" I exclaimed.

Ician looked at me strangely. "Of course it's not, Princess."

"Then how can we say it?"

Now Worth gave me a confused stare. "By... not telling the truth?"

"We can't lie to the nation!" I insisted. "That would be wrong!"

"And having them lose faith in their leader isn't?" Worth asked rhetorically. "Sometimes, Princess, one is called upon to choose the lesser of two evils for the sake of the country."

As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. But I still couldn't bring myself to do it. "I would be betraying their trust in me."

"I understand your sentiments, but... I think the right choice here is obvious." Worth sighed. "Still, it is a choice. Your choice." And he looked at me expectantly.

Pushing my reservations aside, I was about to relent, albeit reluctantly, when another thought hit me. "Wait. What's Applejack going to think?"

"I beg your pardon?" Worth blinked.

With a heavy heart, I explained to them that, if I did what they said, I'd have to let Applejack down. And hard. The image of her wide grin flashed through my head. Could I be responsible for ruining that?

"It'll destroy our friendship forever!" I moaned. Actually, looking back, I may have been overreacting just a little bit. But what I did know - and still do - is that I wouldn't be able to look her in the eye ever again.

"On the face of it, Princess," said a voice from behind me, "there is but one solution."

I whipped around, startled. "Mente?"

"Of course." Standing in the doorway, looking as smug as I'd ever seen him, Mente nodded, a brilliantly shined and polished apple in his right forehoof.

"But... I thought you were sick!"

"I was." He motioned to the apple. "But you know what they say - an apple a day keeps the doctor away." With that, he bit down on the fruit, chewing slowly.

"Where did you get that?"

"I purchased it from Applejack yesterday, as she was preparing for her departure." He shrugged. "She seemed quite eager to force one onto me, and in retrospect I'm glad I obliged."

I simply stared in bewilderment.

"Anyway, Princess, that is off-topic. What matters here, and now, is solving your problem." He fixed me with a stern gaze. "But I must warn you that there is no conceivable way to depart from this experience with your conscience unscathed."

I had figured as much a minute ago. "Okay, what do I have to do?"

"I... that is, Sir Worth and I... have been preparing for this eventuality." He said. "We have devised an plan."

"Yes?" I asked anxiously.

"I'm afraid that you will have to explain to your friend that you were mistaken. That, in fact, the appointment of Canterlot's apple supplier had already been decided upon beforehand, and you had not been aware of it."

"How does that change anything?" I complained. "It just makes me seem less guilty! If anything, I should just tell her the truth and accept the full blame."

"Would that be wise?" He challenged. "Your friend might be somewhat... less than pleased."

He was right. And Applejack said she'd tell Granny Smith, too. I couldn't possibly break both their hearts. Not to mention that I might inadvertently give Granny Smith a literal broken heart if I wasn't careful. That kind of guilt could never be washed clean.

"But then, what can I do?"

Mente took another bite from his apple. "To soften the blow, you can say that the position of Neighpon's apple supplier will be soon be available, and may consequently be awarded to her in due course."

"Is that true?" I inquired cautiously.

"Certainly." He replied.

I wasn't satisfied. "When is 'soon'?"

"Oh, you know." He waved his hoof in a non-committal fashion. "Soon."

"When?" I repeated.

"... When the current supplier steps down."

I was relentless. "Which would be when?"

"In the fullness of time."

"Mente!" I snapped.

"The current contract will last up to five more years."

I was speechless.

"Which is not so long, really, in the greater scheme of things." He defended himself.

"Mente," I ground out, "five years is not most ponies' definition of 'soon'."

"It's certainly soon in geological terms." He countered. "In any case, would you rather be the bearer of only bad news for your friend?"

Although he was right, I still couldn't bring myself to deceive Applejack. But I couldn't bring myself to disappoint Princess Celestia either. I was at a loss.

Ician must have noticed my internal struggle, because he stepped forward and placed a comforting hoof on my shoulder. "Princess... I know it's hard to make a choice like this, but in the end, don't the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? If the ponies lost faith in their leader, that would bring all of Tartarus down on the Royal Court."

They were all making sense. Too much sense. I knew what I had to do. But there was a force holding me back that I couldn't overcome.

So I stalled. I said that I needed a little bit more time to think things over, and asked if I could possibly have the rest of the day off. Again.

To all their credits, they nodded in understanding and agreed, unanimously, that it was a hard decision to make, and that I certainly needed some time to consider the options.

"After all, Princess, we wouldn't want you to do something you'll regret." Worth said. As if that was an option anymore.

I thanked them wearily, trudged back to my room, and locked the door behind me.

... What am I going to do?


11th December, 2013

I'm in the train car again. Mente tried to give me the royal compartment, but I insisted on taking the standard one. I'm not going to let myself be drunk with luxury.

Sitting here, writing this, and worrying about Applejack, I'm getting the strangest sense of déjà vu.

I can only hope for the best. Not that I'm going to keep my hopes high anyway.


12th December, 2013

I arrived in Ponyville today. I knew my return ticket gave me only five hours to stay, and that Applejack was my first priority, but I didn't want to face what I had to do. Not yet.

So I wandered around for a little while, caught up with a few acquaintances, checked on the library, Sugarcube Corner, Carousel Boutique...

Well, let's just say I had only half an hour left when I finally got to Sweet Apple Acres. Granny Smith was snoring quietly in her little rocking chair on the front porch. I didn't have the heart to wake her up, so I silently nudged past her and into the house proper.

I found Applejack in the kitchen, making pancakes. She looked up at me and smiled. "Well howdy, Twi! What brings you all the way down here from Canterlot?"

I swallowed. This was it. "Well... I'm sorry, Applejack, but I have some bad news."

She raised an eyebrow. "Bad news?"

"Yes." I licked my lips nervously. "You see, I don't... well, actually... I mean..."

"Come on, Twi, what is it?" She looked at me, concerned. "Are ya alright?"

"I'm fine." I quickly assured her. I'm not sure if she believed me. "It's just that... that..." I struggled, but for some reason the words just wouldn't come out of my mouth.

"Are ya sure you're alright?"

"You're not the Canterlot apple supplier anymore!" I blurted out. The moment I realised what I'd done I clapped my forehooves over my mouth in shock.

"... Come again?"

Slowly, I let my hooves sag back to the ground. I took a deep breath and, holding it in, looked Applejack in the eye. "I'm sorry, Applejack, but..." I hesitated momentarily, then pressed on, "apparently I was mistaken. Canterlot's new apple supplier was already chosen before I told you, and I didn't know."

She blinked, and then hung her head in disappointment. "Ah... ah see..."

Now was the moment, I knew. Either I told her the news about Neighpon or not. Should I be honest with her, or try to cheer her up - even if it was with what amounted to false hope?

I stared at her sadly. And I distinctly remember the exact words that ran through my mind at that moment:

Applejack, I'm sorry.

I forced a smile. "I do have some good news, though. According to my advisors, Neighpon is going to need a new apple supplier soon. And when the time comes I'll be sure to put your name on the top of the list."

She raised her head, distinctly more cheerful. "Well, that's nice to know. Thanks, Twi."

"Right... so, I suppose that's all, then." I looked at a nearby kitchen clock. "Sorry, Applejack, but I need to leave now. My train will be here soon."

"You'd better be off, then." She waved goodbye, and I returned it half-heartedly, along with a whole string of other empty reassurances and apologies, before heading back to the station.

Technically, I had spoken the truth. I distinctly remember every last word I said, and not once did I actually lie. But I had misled her so much that there isn't much of a difference.

I keep telling myself that that's not as bad. But the feeling in my gut tells me otherwise.

I hate being a Princess. Why does it have to be so difficult?


14th December, 2013

I came back to the throne room late in the afternoon, tired and weary. Mente was off on some administrative business about the new official apple supplier, but Ician was there and waiting. He greeted me with the usual respectful "Good morning, Princess" but I wasn't in any real mood to reply.

I sank to the ground and just sat there, staring at the wall and thinking about the whole incident. Obligingly, Ician sat by my side and accompanied me in my silence.

I finally spoke up. "Ician?"

"Yes, Princess?"

"Will I have to do this a lot?"

He replied, "Not at all, Princess. I doubt you will have very much time to sit around and do nothing in the future."

He had misunderstood me. I explained patiently that I had meant if I would have to make a habit of lying to my friends - or, come to think of it, anypony at all.

"Well... I'm afraid so, Princess."

I asked an obvious question. "Why?"

He looked confused. "Why?"

"Why all the lying?" I clarified. "Is government all about deception?"

"Not quite." Ician replied carefully. "Only about half of it."

"Why are there so many secrets?" I questioned.

"To protect those in charge." He answered promptly. "You, primarily."

Normally I might have disagreed. But after just one week in the palace I can sort of see the truth in that.

"But surely," I insisted, "we have to tell the truth sometimes, even if it's not all that nice to hear."

Ician paused, presumably considering what to say next. I waited for his response.

"... Princess, would you agree that we all make mistakes, from time to time?"

That had an easy answer. I nodded.

"Would you also agree that oftentimes, ponies remember you for the mistakes you make, and not your successes?"

"Not always." I argued.

He pondered this for a moment. "Did you know, Princess, that King Sombra was, before his ultimate descent into villainy, a fair, just, and wise ruler of the Crystal Empire?"

"Well, no." I confessed. "Is that true?"

"Oh, of course. Though, in the end, the old adage held true: Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I was intrigued by this statement. "But Princess Celestia has been ruling Equestria for the past thousand years alone and she hasn't done anything wrong yet."

"I'm glad you think so, Princess." Ician responded simply. Even now, I still don't dare think through the implications of that statement.

"But what does this all mean?" I pressed on. "Are you saying that I have to hide the fact that I make mistakes from the public so they don't lose faith in me?"

"That's exactly it." He nodded.

"Wouldn't they understand if I make a mistake, though? Everypony knows that I'm not a god. I'm just equine."

"If anypony else makes a mistake, the consequences are comparatively minor. But if you make a mistake, Princess, it may very well destroy the world."

I was aghast. "Destroy the world?"

"Well, not literally." He amended. "But you have the capacity to cause all sorts of catastrophes. One wrong administrative decision, and the delicate balance of government can come crashing down. One wrong policy decision, and thousands of ponies could be made homeless, penniless, or worse. One wrong governmental purchase, and the entire stock market can be sent out of balance, precipitating a recession and the consequent starvation of millions. One wrong-"

"Okay, enough! I get it." I wasn't particularly keen on hearing him go on. For the first time since I assumed the position of Equestria's ruler, I realised just how much responsibility rested on my shoulders.

"My point is, Princess, that there is no such thing as a small mistake for you. Any mistake you make will have severe repercussions. If you are blamed for them, the ponies will cry out for a new leader. We have to lie to maintain public confidence."

I wasn't satisfied yet. "But we're betraying their trust anyway."

"But they don't know that you are." He explained. "Think about it this way, Princess. You are here to do good, aren't you? But you can't do any good if you're dethroned."

I conceded the point.

"You can be a liar, but still be righteous." He continued. "So long as you have the interests of the ponies at heart."

"So," I ventured, "I shouldn't feel guilty about all this deception?"

"There is a saying in the Civil Service. 'A clean conscience is an indulgence.' We are called upon to make sacrifices for the good of the nation. Sometimes that means giving up your principles."

"I did the right thing, then?" I asked, hoping for reassurances.

"Absolutely."

I followed that by saying that I supposed I was an acceptably good leader, then.

Ician paused, and hesitated. "If I may speak freely?"

"Go ahead." I replied.

"With all due respect, Princess, you are not a good leader. Not yet."

I was surprised. I asked him to explain.

"A truly righteous leader always puts the interests of the public first. But from what I observed, you were predominantly concerned with Princess Celestia's displeasure, your friendship, and your image."

My first instinct was to object. But when I struggled to come up with a retort I realised that he was right.

He must have noticed my unhappiness, because he quickly added, "But, of course, acknowledging your flaws is the first step to fixing them. You have good in you, Princess. You have the potential to do a lot. You only have to be willing, and you can change the world."

We sat in silence for a little longer. Finally, I asked, "Do you really mean it?"

Ician looked me in the eyes, and said, with complete sincerity and honesty, "Yes, Princess."