• Published 19th Apr 2014
  • 1,452 Views, 69 Comments

Yes, Princess - The Usurper



Everypony thinks that a Princess has all the power, but oftentimes, the real power lies behind the throne. And when a Princess and her Royal Court clash, things change. Twilight Sparkle is determined to make sure that it changes for the better.

  • ...
5
 69
 1,452

Editor's Notes

Some of our more astute readers might recall the time when Her Highness Princess Twilight Sparkle, the fourth alicorn princess and bearer of the Element of Magic, assumed the role of Equestria's leader in our great Princess Celestia's stead, while the latter was away on a trip to the Crystal Empire with her sister, Princess Luna. There was nothing unexpected about the trip - it had been planned months in advance - save for two details; one, that it lasted for far longer than expected, and two, that Princess Sparkle was due to take her place as a temporary measure.

In total, Princess Sparkle spent about two years on the throne. In those two years, she learnt much about the Royal Court of Canterlot, how it functioned, and occasionally how it did not. Thankfully for us, she recorded her experiences in her private journal and has now seen fit to share it with us, the Equestrian public. In her own words, she believes that 'the ponies deserve to know what goes on behind the hallowed walls of the palace - and how great a farce it is.'

Her journal, coupled with the actions of His Highness Prince Blueblood, seem to support this statement. Twice has the Prince attempted to keep this work from publication under the Official Secrets Act, and twice it has been overruled by Princesses Sparkle and Celestia, both in short order. We here at Books, Sofas and Quills Co. owe our thanks to them, and it is only by their timely intervention that this novel ever made it onto the shelves.

That aside, it falls to us to lend this novel a compelling air while maintaining the integrity of the original journal. As intriguing as the journal was by itself, we had to make some changes to reflect the situation at the time as accurately and as interestingly as possible. For instance, although it is a clear testament to Princess Sparkle's excellent memory that she retained vague recollections of numerous conversations recorded throughout the novel, we were forced to complete said conversations in their entirety, 'filling in the blanks' with our own appropriate details. However, we have made sure that her unique writing style has been preserved for authenticity.

Also, in the interests of complete accuracy, we arranged a few meetings with the esteemed Princess herself, along with many of her assistants at the time. We have predominantly focused on her then-Assistant Councillor and now-influential High Councillor Tact Ician, who played a key role in her development as a ruler.

Other sources of information include the voluminous papers that became suddenly available to us, again thanks to the efforts of Princess Sparkle, in the immediate aftermath of the ex-High Councillor Agree Mente's unfortunate passing. While his departure from the realm of the living is certainly a cause for mourning, his papers shed invaluable light on the inner workings of the Court. We are therefore also indebted to him, and as a tribute to his memory he shall be immortalised forever in our minds and in this novel.

Finally, we must express our thanks to Carousel Boutique and its proprietor, Miss Rarity, for single-hoofedly sponsoring the publication and production of the first few thousand copies. Without her, this book would never be where it is today.

You will find overleaf the first chapter of the novel Yes, Princess. It should occupy you for a good few hours of your time. And hopefully, you will enjoy it as much as we did.

The Editors,

A.K. Yearling and Davenport