• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 2,478 Views, 52 Comments

Writing History - Gaiascope



Waren, an ordinary pony, goes on an adventure. Does he get more than he bargained for?

  • ...
1
 52
 2,478

Chapter Two: Nopony You Know

Writing History
Chapter Two
Nopony You Know

So much unlike how I’m used to, I awake from the rays of the sun nestling my face. Looking around I begin to remember why. I had slept in the guest room last night to make room for my unannounced…guest. Grunting, I get out of bed. I cautiously peek outside the window before opening it.

I’ll have no steam clouds assaulting my face today, thank you very much.

Hanging my forelegs out of the window I look out at the city. Unfortunately, my guest room doesn’t have the stunning view of the royal castle line my bedroom does, but on the other hoof I don’t have to look at those horrid chimneys spewing who knows what into the rest of the otherwise scenic view. Instead, this room looks out over the central tourist plaza. The large square is almost exclusively dotted with ethnic restaurants from all over Equestria, gift shops, and all sorts of other attractions for giddy tourists to squander their bits during their stay in Canterlot. Right now however, the plaza was deserted of tourists while the first few early risers began to appear to open up their shops and display their wares. The large empty plaza had an almost eerie feel to it when compared to the otherwise tightly constructed and packed together city. After staring out for a few more moments, I reluctantly close the window. While I enjoy gazing upon the city and it’s splendour, there’s a particular problem I ought attend to.

A problem that is currently sleeping in my bed.

Honestly, what was that mare thinking? She didn’t seem to care much about what I thought; she just wanted a place to stay. Why did I even agree to her joining Werk and I? Even though I had just met her a couple of hours ago she was rapidly becoming the biggest problem in my life. Weaving together an appropriate lecture in my head, I make my way to the bedroom. In the process of pushing open the bedroom door however, I realize I forgot to knock.

Soon after, I was reminded of this fact by a shrill shriek.

‘Can’t a mare get some privacy in here?!’

Stratos magically slams the door shut against my head. The force of the unexpected hit knocks me back. Rubbing my hurt nose, I respond.

‘Frankly? No. Do I need to remind you that I never invited you here? You’re basically intruding.’

‘If Ah’m intrudin’, why did ya let me spend the night?’

The pain in my nose is numbed by anger.

‘Well, it’s not like you gave me much of a choice in that matter.’

The door swings open, revealing the blue coated unicorn. Her mane was freshly brushed, the streaks of yellows acting as a sharp contrast to the black hair. She casually trots past me and proceeds down the stairs.

‘So what’s yer plan for today?’

I let out a sigh, and wince in pain as my muzzle stings. I’ll probably be feeling that for the rest of the day. Fighting the urge to sigh again, I follow Stratos down the stairs.

‘The first point of the day was you leaving. The second was you staying away.’

I almost bump into Stratos when she suddenly stops halfway down the stairs. Quickly, I fix our balance with telekinesis before the both of us could tumble down the stairs. Stratos turns around and looks me in the eyes. The look of innocent panic in her eyes startles me and I almost lose grip of the magic keeping us upright on the stairs.

‘Ah don’t have anywhere else t’ go. Ah don’t know anypony else.’

She clears her throat. Could she uncomfortable as well? I somehow find it hard to believe, to think of Stratos as… well, as a normal pony.

‘Ah can’t go back t’ Cloudsdale, not until Ah have proven Ah can be a weather pony.’

She pauses again, looking as if she were on the verge of tears. She really wants to become a weather pony that much? She looks away before talking again.

‘Please.’

Oh for the love of Celestia, I can’t deal with this. She really cares about this. But, she’s bonkers! I can’t really let her stay, can I? Civilized ponies don’t just fall on some otherpony’s balcony and expect him to give them a roof over their head. And yet… I take another look at the poor mare trying to hold back a sniffle, and I can’t help but think about how much effort she must be putting into acting tough to hide her worries. No! This is absurd, she can’t stay here, and I will tell just have to be frank with her. And so, I open my mouth to tell Stratos she can’t stay here any longer.

‘Fine, you can stay.’

Wait, what? That wasn’t what I meant to say.

Stratos’s face lights up with a smile. Before I could correct myself, she surprises me with an embrace.

‘Thank ya so much! Ah can’t thank ya enough! Ah knew ya where a kind pony!’

Seeing her this happy, I give up all resistance. Looking away from the face buried in my chest, I adjust my glasses. I’m probably going to regret this decision, but for now, it seems I should get comfortable with having a roommate. After patiently waiting several moments with Stratos showing absolutely no sign of ending the embrace any time soon, I clear my throat. She takes a step backward and wipes the tears from her eyes.

‘Sorry ‘bout that. Ah never thought ya would actually let me stay.’

Yeah, me neither. But that ship has sailed, I can’t kick her out after this. Besides, it would be strange letting her join Werk and I on our adventure later, but not help her now while she is effectively homeless.

‘However, if you are going to stay, it will be by my rules. That means no more bedroom takeovers. I have a guest room, and as you are a guest, I would appreciate it if you would use that room instead commandeering my own.’

She shrugs and continues down the stairs.

‘Ah guess Ah can live with that.’

Looks like she bounced back to her usual self pretty quick. Shaking my head, I continue after her. After reaching the ground floor, she leaps down the last few steps and dances around. She really is grateful, so in that regard she can almost be seen as relatively normal, like a filly who just got her favourite treat, if that filly also had a habit of jumping off buildings.

‘Also, if you are going to stay here until we have the bits for the trip, you’re going to have to work. If I have to pay for your living expenses as well it’ll be an entire year before we can go.’

The dancing stops, but the smile remains.

‘Ah suppose that’s fair. So, what can Ah do t’ help?’

That was a good question. What can she do to help? I’ve been managing the store by myself for years now. Remembering the day before, I get an idea. I was able to convince a customer to buy something after he asked me about Stratos. It’s not like I can realistically make her read on the floor all day for customers to ask about, but...

‘I have something in mind. I don’t really need help with the store itself, but I could use more customers. Think you are up to the task?’

‘So ya want me t’ bring in more ponies? Ah like the idea.’

Word of mouth advertising is still the best kind of advertising, after all. And it would be a great way for her to get to know the city and meet some ponies.

‘Exactly, you can spread the word about Waren’s Literature Imperium. Maybe even hand out flyers.’

‘Do ya have any flyers?’

‘Well… no. But there could be flyers, in the future.’

‘Alright, how’s this.’

Stratos clears her throat and takes a deep breath before addressing me with a heavily faked Canterlot accent.

‘Why, greetings good pony! Would I be able to interest you in some fine literature? Where, you ask? I say! Don’t tell me you’ve never heard of Waren’s Literature Imperium! The finest books in all of Canterlot, No! In all of Equestria!’

The way she waves with her hooves as she talks is too much, and I fall to the floor laughing.

‘Hey! Come on, Ah wasn’t that ridiculous!’

It takes a while before I find my breath again. I wipe a tear from my eye before responding.

‘No, even more ridiculous.’

Stratos pouts angrily as I get back up on my hooves again, still letting out the occasional chuckle.

‘I like your enthusiasm, but talking normally will do. Don’t try to fake a Canterlot accent, but you may want to try and lessen your normal accent. So you like the idea?’

‘Ayup. Ah understand that Ah need t’ do sometin’ in return for stayin’ here. And there ain’t no better way to advertise then word of mouth. Much more personal.’

‘My thoughts exactly.’

‘Alright then! Ah’ll get right to it!’

Stratos turns and gallops for the door.

‘Wait! You don’t know-’

She doesn’t hear me and magically throws the door open before bolting out.

‘-the city and you need a map…’ I finish with a sigh.

Honestly, does that mare even stop to think things over for one second? My mind comes up with the image of Stratos wondering the streets, asking random ponies for directions while on the verge of tears. I shake my head. I’m worrying too much; she can take care of herself. Probably. Maybe. Possibly. To be sure, I quickly decide that if she doesn’t return before I close, I’ll go look for her.

I walk over to the door to flip the open-closed sign and stop when I notice something strange. Cocking my head, the door looks… displaced somehow. Something about this doesn’t quite make sense…

Then it occurs to me, I never unlocked the door from the previous night. Stratos had ripped the door open, destroying the lock and (upon further inspection) damaging the doorframe in the process. Just how much magic does she have? Remembering how easy she took the book from my magical grasp and the bedroom door she shut against my face, I shudder. Good thing that doorframe held, or I would most likely be in the hospital with a concussion now.

Suddenly I have no trouble imagining the blue unicorn as a weather pony. If she can rip open a locked door and not even notice, controlling clouds seems like foal’s play. Having that same blue unicorn as a roommate though…

Quickly, I make a list:
The door is going to need to be replaced.
The lock is totalled and will need to be replaced as well.
The doorframe will need to get touched up.

My mind continues to add on the amount of bits it’ll take me to fix this. When Stratos gets back I will have to scold her over this. If she can’t control her magic she won’t only cost us bits, but she might endanger us.

Looking at the half broken door for a few moments, I decide to leave it open and relocate the open-closed sign to the window. I step outside and look around. Only a handful of ponies can be seen at this hour, probably heading to work. Thank the Princesses the damage isn’t noticeable from the outside; that might have scared customers away. Stepping back inside, I swipe the splinters away with my tail. Here’s to hoping any customers won’t notice the door until after they make their purchase.

Sighing, I lean my head on my hooves on the counter. The new arrivals have already been sorted, and the next shipment won’t arrive for another week. Not feeling like re-reading any of the books in my store, I prepare for a long wait. Interestingly enough, a pony walks in after just ten minutes of waiting. Normally I don’t have customers this early, unless they placed a special order.

‘Good morning and Welcome to Waren’s Literature Imperium! How can I help you?’

The orange-coated earth pony looks around the store. I raise an eyebrow when I notice his odd garments. The pony was sporting a vestment of various shades of blue around his waist that gracefully draped over his flank. Thankfully, he doesn’t notice the damaged door hanging awkwardly from its shattered frame.

‘Good morning… I’m looking for a book.’

For a pony with such fancy looking clothing, he sure is obvious.

‘Well… you’ve come to the right place!’

Waving my hoof across the counter, I point towards the shelves.

‘I have every book you could possibly want or need!’

At the same time, I push the box containing Steam Power and You: A Guide to The Future, further back behind the counter. Like I said, I have every book a pony could possibly want or need, after all. The stallion clears his throat.

‘I’m looking for a particular book, actually. You wouldn’t happen to have The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide. Would you?’

A smile plays across my face. I love it when ponies ask for specific titles. Closing my eyes, I mentally envision the particular location of every single book in my store. Without opening my eyes I start to focus my magic, smirking when the customer lets out a soft gasp. Making a mental note which of the three copies I just took, I proudly present the book now floating in front of me to my customer.

‘It was under ‘E’, will that be all?’

The earth pony carefully takes the book from my magical grasp. He opens it and flips through the first few pages. Looking satisfied, he closes it again.

‘Wonderful! Thank you. How much for it?’

‘That will be twenty bits please.’

The pony pays and politely says goodbye. As he steps outside he gives the door a puzzled look. He looks back and raises an eyebrow at me. After giving him a weak smile and a hint of a shrug he trots away.

That must have been a new record, a sale within fifteen minutes after opening. Do I have Stratos to thank for that? If she sends more customers my way at this pace I’ll be swimming in bits before you know it! While waiting for the next customer I decide to give the shelves my daily onceover. After all, I haven’t seen to them after Stratos had a look around. Celestia knows what that mare can do to my store, even in such a short amount of time.

Walking through the shelves, I am pleased to note they are still intact, unlike my poor front door. Thank Celestia for small miracles. It was very careless of me to open without checking this, but it would seem I got away with it for now. As I pass the final shelf I notice the remaining copies of The Elements of Harmony: a Reference Guide. Since I don’t have much else to do until another customer shows up, I carefully float out one of the copies. This book was originally written centuries ago, just after Celestia had banished Nightmare Moon. The ancient magical relics Celestia had used intrigued ponykind, or at the very least, it intrigued unicorn kind. But nopony ever seemed to really understand their magical properties, and because of that the ‘Guide’ was mostly a book comprised of speculation and theories. As I flip through the pages, I notice how old of a print it is. This version still states that the sixth element is a complete mystery, but the Element of Magic was uncovered over forty years ago. That’s common knowledge nowadays.

The Six Elements are represented by the spirits of any number of ponies. Forty years ago, each Element of Harmony had a single pony to represent it. Before that, Princess Celestia and Luna controlled all six together. Celestia even showed to be able to control all six by herself when she banished Nightmare Moon. But the Elements were never meant to be controlled by just one pony, whether or not that pony was the Sun Goddess herself; that goes against all ideas of harmony in the first place. After Celestia banished Nightmare Moon she lost control of the Elements and they were considered lost for the rest of time (at least, according the conclusion in this edition). My train of thought is interrupted when a voice calls from the front of the shop.

‘Hello? Anyone there?’

For some reason the voice sounds a tad strange, almost… avian? Does that make sense? I trot around the shelves to greet the customer.

‘Good Morning! Welcome to- Oh!

The figure looks up from clawing at leftover splinters from the doorframe with sharp looking talons and I see a beak turn my way. A griffin! It’s not often you see one of those in Equestria. And even then, they’re rarely seen outside Cloudsdale or Las Pegasus. For some reason they like to associate more with Pegasi than with other kinds of ponies; probably has something to do with the shared wings and walking on clouds. Her coat is almost jet black, and finely brushed. As her tail wildly sways around it appears to almost sparkle. Her snow-white feathers lay over her coat with the utmost precision, and each feather looks like it was hoof-picked by a selection of experts. No matter how you look her, this griffin looks good. With a bored expression she taps the doorframe with the back of her claw, looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

‘What happened to your door?’

Forcing myself to stop staring at her feathers and coat (Oh Celestia, was I just leering at a perfect stranger? And a customer, at that?!) , I try to formulate an acceptable answer.

‘That? There was an… accident. Please don’t let it bother you. I’ll have it fixed as soon as possible.’

The griffin looks at me with squinted eyes, as if trying to tell if I’m lying. After doing so for just long enough to make me feel uncomfortable she stops and, seemingly satisfied, walks towards the shelves.

‘I’m looking for a specific book. Can you help me with that?’

Still holding The Elements of Harmony, a Reference Guide wrapped in telekinesis, I trot after the griffin.

‘Name the title and I can find it.’

The griffin stops and raises a claw to rub her beak. She seems to think about the question for a while.

‘What was it again? Elements of Something, some guide. I don’t suppose that’s any help, is it?’

Blinking, I float up the book from behind me.

‘Is this it?’

The griffin’s bored expression lights up with surprise and delight.

‘Yes! How did you do that?’

She gets up on her hind legs and takes the book from my magical grasp with both claws. I awkwardly look away. I had forgotten griffins could hold items in those claws of theirs, and had the book floating at a height where she could take it with her beak. The griffin flips through the pages with her claws, which strikes me as weird. Griffins are a rare sight, and I had never seen one read a book before. Most ponies flip pages with their muzzle or a hoof, and only unicorns have the luxury of being able to read while standing up. But the griffin held the book open with one claw, and flipped the pages with the other. When she slammed the book shut, I realize with a start that I had been staring at her again. She notices and raises an eyebrow.

‘What? Never seen a griffin before?’

I blush and look away.

‘Not really, I’m sorry.’

She surprises me with a laugh (Oh Luna, that laugh!) and a slap on the back of my neck.

‘Hahaha, don’t worry about it. For your first griffin, I am pretty spectacular.’

Awkwardly, I return her laugh. She lowers to stand on her claws again, keeping the book secure under one of her arms. Once firmly back on all four limbs, she raises a claw to take the book from under her arm and holds it up.

‘You have to tell me how you found this book so fast, that was amazing.’

‘Oh, that was a coincidence really. I was reading it, because I had just sold another copy earlier today.’

The griffin’s smile instantly evaporates and her tail droops. With a grim look she turns the book’s cover to me.

This book? Are you sure you sold this?

I found myself tongue-tied over her sudden change in attitude. Why would she get so upset over that?

‘What? Y-yes. I’m sure. I never mix up books.’

‘Who? Who did you sell it to? What did he look like?’

In her excited state her wings flare out, almost knocking over one of the shelves. Involuntary I take a few steps back. The griffin doesn’t seem to notice as she glares at me.

‘I-I don’t know, it was an orange-coated earth pony, wearing some blue garments… I couldn’t see his cutie mark. Why are you asking this?’

The griffon turns away and rubs her brow with one of her claws. She sighs and her fury disappeared as suddenly as it came.

‘I’m sorry about that. It’s just… Forget it. How much do I owe you?’

‘…F-Fifteen bits’

Still afraid to move, I watch as the griffon opens a pouch strapped around her neck. She handily produces an assortment of shiny coins from the small leather bag. Giving me a weak smile, she presents me with a claw carrying the bits.

‘Please don’t be afraid. I kind of lost myself there, it, umm… it won’t happen again.’

I slowly nod. I focus to float the bits from her claw, and notice she flinches when the turquoise aura appears around the coins. That somehow makes me relax; knowing that she was trying to adjust to being around ponies the same way I was now trying to get around the differences between us myself. I give her a sympathetic smile.

‘Don’t worry, you just surprised me.’

She smiles at me, and noticing how weird a smiling griffin looks, I hid back a chuckle with a bigger grin. She puts the book in the pouch and turns to walk towards the door. I follow her to see her out. Before she steps outside she pauses for a moment before turning around once again.

‘Dorothea.’

‘Excuse me?’

‘My name. Don’t ponies also tell each other their names when they meet?’

‘Oh, yes! Sorry. I’m Waren, nice to meet you.’

I raise my hoof, and she awkwardly meets it with a claw. We… shake hoof-claws? Somehow the mutual awkwardness of the situation gives the both of us a surprising feeling of shared understanding. She nods her head after returning her claw to the floor.

‘Nice to meet you as well Waren.’

She steps outside and immediately gets stares from various ponies in the streets. She looks at me over her shoulder and winks before spreading her wings and taking flight. I catch myself staring at her flank as she flaps her wings furiously to gain altitude. Blushing, I return inside.

It’s amazing how commonplace strange occurrences have been going ever since Stratos fell on my roof.

But still, I never knew griffins could be so…majestic. When she was angry, when she spread those near black wings, I couldn’t help but find such a display of anger…well, cute. I sigh.

It’s amazing how much I’ve been doing that ever since Stratos fell on my roof, too.

As time went on, I found myself catering to more costumers that day then I ever had to before. At first I wondered if there was some event going on in the city that had brought in all of these ponies, but after one customer told me about the ‘…lovely unicorn mare, with a most adorable southern drawl…’ that told him about my shop, I couldn’t deny it any longer. Stratos was actually doing an amazing job. Mentally, I add praising her to the long list of things to do when she returns. (Hmm…should I do that before or after lecturing her about the broken front door?) My store was almost never empty, with a new customer entering as soon as the previous one left with their purchase. As the hours pass and the bits keep flowing in, I began looking up from time to time to see if Stratos had found her way back yet. Although, once again looking at the broken doorframe and busted lock, it might be that I’m more concerned with what kind of trouble she could be getting herself into.

In between handling customers and envisioning possible worst-case scenarios involving an unsupervised Stratos in Canterlot, I thought about Dorothea. Griffins are naturally majestic creatures, but she was beautiful, even by those standards. Her coat was so finely brushed it resembled obsidian, though not so brittle. And where her body bordered between lion and eagle the feathers were lined so sharply it seemed as if they had been placed one at a time, and with great care. Her facial features strangely intrigued me, being positively charmed by her smiling beak. I suppose I found it fascinating how different she was from ponies. Claws and talons instead of hooves, wings larger than any Pegasus’s, a beak instead of a muzzle. Even her tail was different, being coated and only sprouting out at the very end.

My daydreaming is interrupted when a customer makes her presence clear with a cough. I quickly apologize and take the book she wants to buy. My cheeks involuntary redden as I tell her the price. Why am I blushing? Why does it feel like I was just caught doing something odd? Surely I don’t think I like Dorothea?

I mean, like her, like her.

That’s absurd! She’s a griffin! Sure, she is a beautiful griffin, but in the way kittens are adorable, and owls can have nice feathers. So why am I thinking this way? Mentally scolding myself, I force myself to walk to the front of my store to help customers. It doesn’t even matter if I like her or not. Either way, she’s gone.

The latest customer waving a hoof in front of my face to get my attention, however, is not. I make a mental note to thank Stratos specifically for sending that griffin my way.

I notice the sun slowly beginning to set and I begin to get worried. Stratos still hadn’t returned. Looking out the window, I see the sun kissing the first rooftops, shining vibrant colours through the glass. With a click of my tongue I realize that I can’t wait much longer.

Making up my mind, I start to put away my various odds and ends. I don’t normally close this early, but worry beat out my sense of professionalism. Besides, no one actually shops at this hour. With a sigh I float up a quill and a piece of parchment. Dipping the quill in ink, I think of something appropriate to leave behind.

Dear Stratos,

If you read this, I went looking for you. Please don’t destroy anything until I get back. No, wait. Please don’t destroy anything, regardless of my presence.

Thank you, Waren.

After placing the note on the counter in such a way that nopony could possibly miss it (though I wouldn’t put it past Stratos to somehow burn the note before reading it), I turn towards the door. Oh, well there’s another problem. I can’t exactly close the door anymore, now can I? With a brief glimmer of magic the open-closed sign turns itself to closed. That’ll hardly keep thieves out, but it’s a start. Grimacing, I take a closer look at the damage done to my door. It’s going to take a lot of effort to move that thing again. Along with the bent metal hinges, the lock had been partially ripped out the door, leaving heavily damaged if not dangerous metal parts protruding from the wood. The part of the lock that had been sunk into the doorframe left a big hole when it was unlocked through Stratos’s… unconventional means. The door might still move, albeit with some trouble. But I won’t be able to lock it, even if I could close it. And unlike Stratos, I wasn’t willing to rely on my next pony doing the right thing. Especially not when possibly thousands of bits are involved (I really should invest in a safe at some point). Sighing again, I run a hoof through my mane.

‘Howdy!’

I nearly slam into the door frame as I jolt in surprise. I turn around prepared to give a stern lecture to the mare that has become such a nuisance in my life for sneaking up on my like that. Instead, I find myself face to face with a frowning Royal Guard Pegasus.

‘Is this Waren’s Literature Imperium?’

Oh Celestia, what did Stratos do to involve the Royal Guard!?

‘Yes… And I’m Waren. Is there a problem?’

‘Yes. There is a problem. Could you step outside please?’

They want me? By Luna’s mane, what did that mare do!? As I unwillingly step outside I spot the blue coat I had since come to dread. Before I can address the particular Unicorn it belongs to though, the Royal Guard speaks up.

Pointing a hoof at my window, he begins. ‘Could you please tell me why you are closed already? This lovely mare assured me I could find the best books here.’

So I’m not getting arrested? With a relieved sigh I respond. ‘Why, yes! Of course, sorry! Feel free to browse my books, don’t mind the sign.’

The Guard gives me a polite nod and trots inside. After watching his tail disappear into the store, I turn to Stratos.

‘You!’

She cocks her head in confusion.

‘Me? What ‘bout me?’

‘What…’ I pause to try to articulate my thoughts. ‘What are you?’

‘That’s silly, Waren! Ah’m Stratos and Ah’m lovely!’

I try to think of a response, but for the life of me I couldn’t remember if I had decided to be mad at her or I should just be relieved she made it back without getting into trouble. Before either idea settled in my mind, the Guard calls from inside the store.

‘Excuse me, how much is this?’

Giving Stratos a glare (which she also didn’t seem to understand), I trot into my store to help my customer. After the Royal Guard paid for his book and took off into the air (‘Stay Safe! And do something about that door, you hear?’), I take the time to properly address Stratos. After being confronted with the destruction of my door again I decided anger was the way to go.

‘What the hay do you think you were doing?!’

She looks up from scraping the flooring with her hoof.

‘Eh? What d’ya mean? Ya told me t’ spread the word, so Ah did.’

‘Not that, THAT.’ I point an angry hoof at the mangled remains of my door.

‘Whoah nelly! What happened t’ yer door?’

Struggling to control myself, I almost spit out my response. ‘You. Opened. It.’

She gives me a wide-eyed stare.

‘Ah did that?’ she asked shocked, pointing to herself with a hoof.

A vein starts to throb in my neck.
‘Yes. You did that. When you freaking tore my locked door open with your magic!’

‘Well pony feathers. Ah guess Ah kind of jumped the gun there.’

‘You guess?

She trots up to the ravaged pile of wood and inspects it. After eyeing it for a short while she steps back, slowly nodding.

‘Yep. That door’s wrecked as a door can be.’

I try to think of a believable alibi for the guards as I prepare to strangle the still smiling Unicorn.

‘Nothin’ Ah can’t fix though.’

I stop halfway in my approach, hooves ready to grab her throat.

‘Fix it? Have you even seen...? It...?’ I stumble in awe as the door is wrapped in orange magic and starts to shake.

Clouds of splinters launch themselves from the floor and return to their original positions, weaving shut the hole in the door frame. The bent hinges moan in protest as the door aligns itself again, and the metal straightens out. The lock seems to melt and retreat itself back inside the now shining new door. Then, with an almost comical effect, the door dryly falls into its lock, like nothing ever happened. I could do nothing more than stare at the door and gape like a fish. It looked brand new! Heck, it looked better then when I got it!

‘What. Was. That?

The mare proudly turns around and presents me with a big grin.

‘Just a simple repair spell. Ah can do much more, wanna see?’

Before I can protest her horn starts to glow again. Tiny drips of water form at the tip of her horn and float into the air in front of her, where they form a small, dark cloud. Then the cloud starts to slowly drift around the store while shooting comically tiny lightning bolts from it.

‘Hey, isn’t that dangerous? A thundercloud is not really something I want in my store.’

‘Don’t worry, Ah got everythang under contro-oops!’

I turn in the direction she aimed her ‘oops’ at, and spot the tiny cloud hovering above the counter, where a tiny lightning bolt had struck the note I wrote, setting it on fire. The cloud briefly flickered with orange magic before turning into water and pouring itself over the small fire, putting it out. Stratos quickly trots to the fizzling pile of ash on my counter and gives me a worried look.

‘Sorry, Ah hope that wasn’t important.’

I can’t believe it. She actually did end up burning the note before reading it.

‘Should Ah try t’ fix it? Ah dunno if it works with burned stuff.’

‘No! No more magical tricks! You’ll probably end up blowing up the entire house. Just… no more special spells.’

Stratos looks disappointed, and opens her mouth to protest. Before she says anything, however, she seems to change her mind and closes it again. Looks like even she realizes more magic could cause problems. I let out a relieved sigh; it looks like a potential magical catastrophe has been averted for now. I trot past her and sweep the ashes into the dustbin behind the counter. I float up a rag and start to clean the water from the floor. Stratos seemed understand the current atmosphere and stands in place waiting for me to finish. After wringing out the soaking rag I put my hooves on the counter and let out a long breath.

‘Look, you can’t just run off like that. How was I supposed to know where you went? Or when you planned on coming back? What if something had happened? How was I to find you? Did you stop to think about that even once?’

The way she started scraping the flooring again told me she hadn’t. I float up my glasses to rub my eyes with a hoof.

‘I appreciate that you’re so eager to help, and I got a lot of customers today. But when that guard showed up, I thought you might have gotten yourself in trouble. Or worse.

She stops scraping the flooring and awkwardly looks into my eyes. At least, I think. I let my glasses settle on my nose again. Oh Luna, Stratos is actually embarrassed!

‘Ah dunno what t’ say… Ah’m sorry, Ah didn’t think ya’d be so worried ‘bout me…’

‘Of course I was worried! As long as you are staying here, I am responsible for you. And then you just barge into a city you don’t know, when the only reason you haven’t lost your mane yet is because it’s attached to your head.’

She doesn’t even prepare a protest, obviously deciding instead that a smile was a better response.

‘Yer not the first pony to tell me that. Ah’m sorry Ah made ya worry so much. That was mighty sweet of ya though.’

I wave the comment away with a hoof.

‘Yeah yeah. I’m the frigging Element of Kindness all right. Just don’t do that again. And do check the door is locked before trying to open it next time.’

The grin returns to Strato’s face.

‘Or ya could just get a stronger lock?’

‘I somehow doubt that would stop you. You’d probably rip a hole in the wall if the door doesn’t give.’

The slight increase in the size of Strato’s grin tells me she agrees. Heck, she has probably done it before. Blessing the weakness of my front door’s lock, I continue.

‘So. How was your first day in Canterlot?’

She face lights up as she tells me about her day with a permanent grin etched on her face. She tells me about meeting new ponies and telling them about my store, and next of a group of griffins staying somewhere in the city, and how she managed to convince them to purchase a book from me. I smile and blush as I recall the meeting with Dorothea. Halfway through the story, Stratos interrupts herself.

‘…Oatmeal? Are ya cra-OH! By the way. Ah saw this strange lookin’ poster a couple o’ times. Ya know anythang about a ‘New Lunar Republic’?’

I look up in surprise, and then sigh.

‘The NLR? That’s a long story.’

‘Ah got time.’

I clear my throat. ‘Well… It all started some twenty years ago, when I was just a little colt. A group of ponies came together and started something of a fan club for Princess Luna. At first, she was flattered, and even visited them a couple of times. But as more and more ponies joined, things soon got out of hoof. The group started throwing ridiculous accusations. Saying that Princess Celestia was oppressing her sister, and that Luna was the rightful ruler of Equestria. Of course, that wasn’t true, and Princess Luna publically distanced herself from the New Lunar Republic. However, all that did was rile them up even more. The Republic claimed Luna was forced to make that statement, and more or less declared war on Celestia.’

War?!’ Stratos asks with amazement.

‘Well, not really war. But the Republic doesn’t acknowledge Celestia as their ruler. They normally show their discontent via protests, like sit-ins or peaceful marches and public sermons. Though there was this one time they tried to disturb the raising of the sun on the longest day of the year a while back. Some high profile ponies got arrested then.’

‘So are they dangerous?’

‘Hard to say. Ever since then it has been largely quiet surrounding them. And even before that they had little influence outside Canterlot. But if you say they are spreading posters throughout the city… they might be up to something. It’s probably for the best to stay out of the way of ponies involved with them. If for no other reason than to be sure.’

Stratos slowly nods.

‘Ah’ll keep that in mind; New Lunar Republic, bad news.’

She lets out a loud yawn. I follow her example. It was getting late, and I had been helping customers almost nonstop since opening. Stratos was obviously just as tired as me, maybe even more so. After all, she had spent the day trotting around the city.

‘Ah think Ah’ll head to bed for now.’

‘Which bed…?’

She rolls her eyes.

‘In yer guest room…’

‘And don’t you forget it. Also we are going to talk about things before you suddenly leave again tomorrow. Understood?’

‘Yeah yeah. Whatever mom.’

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

‘If you are going to be sarcastic just go to bed already.’

‘Ah was trying t’ go to bed.’ She mumbles beneath her breath as she trots towards the stairs.

‘Good night to you too.’ I yell after her.

‘Sit on my horn.’ Her voice echoes from the stairs.

Honestly, it really does feel like I’m stuck here with a rebellious teenager. How old is she anyway? She looks younger than Werk and me. Well, it’s not that hard to look younger than me; my mane makes me look at least twice as old. I trot up to the front of the store and blow out the candles. The last one I float up as I trot to the door. Holding the flame closer, I inspect the repaired lock. It looked like nothing ever happened to it, no; it looked like it was brand new. The metal was shining again and free of dents and scrapes. I pull on the door with my magic, and it doesn’t budge. Looks like the lock works again. I stare at the door for a while. It’s not a particularly heavy door, and its lock isn’t that strong. But the thought that there are ponies out there that can nonchalantly rip things like this apart makes me shiver. More importantly, the thought that one of those ponies is now upstairs, hopefully sleeping in my guest room.

I rub my face with a hoof. Oh Waren, what have you gotten yourself into? You’re just an ordinary pony, who sells books and likes to read about history. Well, I was all of that, up until yesterday. What am I now? Aspiring adventurer? Foal sitter? In just forty-eight hours my life has turned completely upside down. All because of a crazy weather unicorn who dropped on my balcony by chance. Well, I suppose Werk proposed the journey before Stratos arrived, but her presence makes everything infinitely more complicated.

The strangest thing is, I don’t think I mind.

I blow out the last candle and leave my store in complete darkness before trotting up the stairs. I decide to check on my guest room before going to sleep myself. I slowly push open the door to my guest room and find Stratos already asleep. The bed was a complete mess; the sheets were wrapped around the mare that lay on the mattress in a bizarre fashion. Like she jumped into bed, but fell asleep before she landed. I sigh and float the pillow up from the ground and place it next to her head. She does look peaceful when she is asleep, even if the way she sleeps in is chaotic. Maybe having somepony living with you is not so bad after all.

I close the door again and enter my own bedroom. I hadn’t seen it since Stratos left it, and I’m not sure what to expect. Almost afraid to look, I step inside. Surprised, I notice that everything is neatly organized. The bed has been made, and the sheets where spread out so that you can easily get under them. The dirt from Werk’s coat has been cleaned up, and I even notice my alarm clock looks slightly less abused then what I remember. I smile as I try to imagine Stratos cleaning up the room. She has no problem with falling on ponies’ homes, or scaring them half to death. She destroys doors without a second thought, and burns down your stuff without a second glance. But she seems to have a problem with leaving the bedroom she took over in a bad condition.

It seems Stratos does have some ethics after all. Questionable ethics, no doubt about that. But ethics nonetheless.

Even though I’m as tired as I’ve been in months, and the bed seems to be softly calling my name, I find myself opening the double door and trotting onto the balcony. I take a deep breath of the chilly Canterlot air and watch the city. It was a bright night, the moon and stars beaming radiantly down on Equestria. The royal castle reflected the moonlight vibrantly, and stood out even more than during the day. It was a beautiful sight. Even Haughbury’s chimneys, which appeared darker than the night sky on the horizon, didn’t change that.

I have lived in Canterlot all my life. I was born in this city; I earned my cutie mark here. I witnessed the arrival of Haughbury, and how he polluted the landscape with his monstrosities. I have witnessed dozens of Grand Galloping Galas here. And have seen Celestia raise the sun herself in all her glory. I met Werk here, and have been his friend for the better part of my life. And in two months, I am leaving it all behind.

I think of Stratos, who’s now snoring contently in my guest room. I think of Werk who should now be sleeping after a long day of working in the factory.

Yes, I’m leaving the place I have lived all my life. But when doing so in the company of my friends, I find myself not minding it all that much.