• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 7,771 Views, 596 Comments

Human After All - Nicknack



Lyra discovers ancient mysteries in the Everfree Forest; one of them tasks her with helping him rebuild his lost civilization.

  • ...
73
 596
 7,771

Chapter 8

The air in the elevator tube smelled different as we descended—metallic, with a tang of matches. I remembered Jesse mentioning how I’d damaged part of the air filtration system, so since I could still breathe, I didn’t say anything about it.

We rode the elevator in silence, which was basically a tradition for us. It took nearly a minute, but I also realized the music was gone. Unlike the new smell in the air, I didn’t have any idea why the music had stopped; with a sad frown, I realized I missed it.

When the elevator disc reached the bottom of the trip, I looked out through the glass. Jesse’s home looked alive. I did a double take as the doors opened to let us off; what I’d first thought were white birds and animals were actually rounded, metallic things that moved around on their own volition. I watched several of them pass through the intersection in front of us. There wasn’t a swarm of them, but there were enough to make me point and ask, “What are those?”

“Maintenance robots. With their aid, I’ll have this facility fully powered and under my complete control by the end of this week.”

We stepped off the elevator, and one of the so-called robots flew over to us. It was disc-shaped with what looked like a camera lens on the front. It stopped, and a grid of green squares flashed onto the floor.

The squares turned red, and the robot began emitting a high-pitched shriek; next to me, Jesse rapidly began dialing into the array of light buttons on his forearm.

As suddenly as it began, the robot’s alarm ended, and it flew away. I cocked my head up to Jesse, and he shrugged down at me. “Robotic sentry. I re-added your photometrics into the system, so you shouldn’t trigger any more alarms, barring another chemical weapon attack.”

He said it bluntly, almost amusedly; I bared my teeth in a not-that-apologetic smile. “I only—”

“You were scared, I understand. And I will work to ensure that you don’t end up in that same mindset in the future.”

That was as close to apologizing as the two of us were going to get, I realized, so I nodded. He returned the nod, and we started walking forward into the facility.

After two turns, I could already tell Jesse was taking me someplace new. Even after his half-apology, I reversed intersections and added them to an ever-growing list of directions to get out. Fool me twice…

I also quickly learned to stick to the middle of the hallways. Robots whizzed by at a startling pace; I didn’t know how heavy they were, but I didn’t want to get hit by one to find out. They might defend themselves.

In the dead silence that was only intermittently broken up by a metallic entity rushing past, I noticed that Jesse’s armor made little hissing noises every time he took a step. “Is there… air in your armor?”

“There’s pneumatic and mechanical components that help the suit itself move. It weighs close to two hundred kilograms on its own.” He chuckled. “I’m surprised you can hear it, though.”

“It’s so quiet down here, how couldn’t I?”

“If that’s your way of saying you want to talk about something…”

“I…” I shook my head. “So, where does your plan go from here? An army of robots, some sort of air-powered armor, and you say you’ve got to find three more fragments, right?”

“I am not bringing a sword to our civilization, but peace.”

I turned to stare flatly at him. “Okay, so not a sword. What about some other crazy weapon?”

He only smiled. “I would rather wait until the end of my demonstration and hearing if you wish to help me before I tell you about any sensitive tactical information.”

“If you’re going to kill any Equestrians...”

“No one will die.” He turned to me and gave me a sad, strained smile. “Some may be incapacitated, but only in as humane and painless a manner as non-wartime policies dictate.”

“Wha…” I shook my head. “Non-wartime policies? Whose non-wartime policies?”

Jesse looked down at his armor, and then back to me. “I don’t suppose it would help my terms with you if I mentioned how relatively few times, during its final millennium, that humanity waged war against itself? Standing militaries were practically abolished, in favor of smaller, de-centralized police forces. Security officers, to stop the rogue individuals who carried a brand of anti-social craziness that even genetic screening couldn’t outright end.”

I digested all that information, and I didn’t notice I’d veered to the right until a robot nearly barreled into me. After regaining my balance, I noted, “That sounds a lot like eugenics.”

“It was, but it wasn’t mandated—it was merely a freely available source of information that could improve the longevity and quality of life for a child. One has to question the ethics in a situation where a mother refuses medical aid for her diseased child.”

I shrugged. “Maybe. But ‘curing the sick’ sounds like a scary ideology to rally under.”

“How so?”

“It’s one of those political tautologies that you can’t really refute—curing the sick is good, compared to the alternative. But it’s so open for interpretation that it can easily be used by whoever’s in charge, so they can define ‘sick’ and ‘cure’ to whatever they want.”

Jesse grunted in agreement. “And you take issue with my definitions of the terms?”

“Maybe.” I shrugged again. “Though I’m not too fond of ‘incapacitated’, either.”

“You said you don’t want anyone killed…”

“Don’t twist my words.” I stopped walking forward and rounded on Jesse. “I don’t want fighting, or killing, or choking anyone…”

Jesse also stopped, crossed his arms, and answered plainly: “That isn’t part of my plan.”

“What is?”

He started walking again. “We’re almost to the medical bay, where you’ll be able to make your decision. From there, you may find out.”

I huffed a little at his aversion, but I wasn’t annoyed enough to let my curiosity die. Even if it had been a lot to take in, the memory of that human hand—my hand—still burned fresh in my mind. After Tuesday, I’d come to the conclusion that human brains were as smart as ponies’—since they were the same thing, give or take some magic—so I’d still be me, just taller and less furry.

I still wanted to know what being human would entail.

We entered a doorway, and gut-wrenching excitement churned in me. Despite the ethics—which I still wasn’t sure on—this was a monumental occasion. It’d answer my questions, let me understand what I was signing myself and others up for, and it’d either substantiate or alleviate my doubts in Jesse’s plan.

I didn’t know which of those I wanted.

The room Jesse led me into was similar to the room he’d done his procedure in last week, only this one seemed more organized and—ironically, given how utilitarian everything was—comfortable. I recognized a bed against one wall, the shelves were filled with medical-looking containers, and at the other end of the room, a giant glass cylinder made me think of a fancy hotel’s shower.

Jesse pointed at the shower thing. “Well… there it is.”

Learning its function gave me a notable apprehension towards the device. My legs felt a little less willing to move, and I looked up to Jesse. “Uh… how do I use it?”

You walk inside the machine…” He walked over to a wall, where a panel hissed open. Jesse reached inside and pulled out a blue, folded-up cloth, which he held out to me. “Leave your cloak and everything else outside; I don’t want to break anything.”

I magicked my cloak and saddlebags over to an empty table. Then, I took the folded-up cloth and unfolded it in the air above me. It was a human-shaped gown, about the same size as Jesse’s old lab coat.

The reality of my situation hit a crescendo; I tried not to let my voice shake as I faked a cool, studious tone. “This… and this is temporary, right?”

Jesse nodded and gave what counted as a warm smile. “For you. For the first time. This is a clinical trial so you can see that this won’t cause undue duress or pain to any of your countrymen.”

I swallowed a lump. It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Jesse; it was more that I knew what came next if I was okay with the procedure. If I didn’t like it, it also didn’t really sound like there was going to be an option to stop him.

I folded the gown back up as much as I could, then I forced my legs towards the machine. I was curious, even after everything that had happened with Jesse. Once I sated that curiosity, I’d be able to think more clearly on the matter and make an informed decision.

It was the most important thing I would ever have to choose.

Like the elevators, the glass chamber had doors whose seams were invisible when closed. They hissed open when I got near, and I took one final deep breath of procrastination. I looked over my shoulder, where I saw Jesse’s shoulders sticking out from behind the tall control panel he was sitting behind. His head was also hidden, which struck me as odd: “I’m about to be first human in several millennia, and you’re not going to watch?”

“I’ve got to monitor the procedure; infrared sensors will let me know all I need to.” His shoulder rose and fell. “After that, if you want to walk around the facility with me…” He trailed off. “Whatever. You’re calling the shots with this procedure; we only do what you need to determine your functional capacity in the next three days.”

My breath stopped. “Do… do you even need me for your plan?”

“Your aid represents a higher success rate in my plan. But I have contingencies if you don’t want to burden yourself with it.”

“Contingencies like what?”

Silence answered first. Then, “Plans that involve one agent instead of two.”

I pointed a hoof at him. “You’re dodging.”

“You’re asking questions about hypothetical situations that you will choose not to have a part in.” Jesse’s head leaned out from behind his panel, and he scowled. “If I told you I was planning to firebomb cities, that would unfairly manipulate you into helping me. I want your allegiance, not your compliance.”

“Are you planning that?”

He shook his head while pulling it back behind his monitor.

I grunted quietly. It helped, on some level, that he was making an effort to look like he weren’t manipulating me; whether or not I could believe him was another story entirely. Then again, I reasoned, he didn’t really just say anything new.

I closed my eyes and walked into the machine. The doors closed behind me, and I stood in the center of the glass chamber. It made me feel like a specimen, I noted as I put the gown on the floor next to me.

“Ready?” Jesse’s voice sounded like it was in the chamber with me; it echoed, but a quick glance around and above didn’t reveal the source.

“Yeah.”

A familiar thrumming began, and my stomach lurched as I remembered all of the pain and screaming from Jesse’s procedure last week. The temperature in the container rose a few degrees and kept rising; all I could think was No, no, no, no…

Blinding light filled the chamber; when I closed my eyes, I could see the pink insides of my eyelids. The air around me was warm, and it permeated me in a thick, tingling sensation. By itself, it wasn’t unpleasant, but as the numbness spread, I felt myself fall over, and I knew what was coming next. Just because I was numb didn’t mean the procedure wasn’t painful.

The light vanished, and spots swam in my vision as I cried out, “Jesse! Stop it!” My mouth was thick and tingly, so the words sounded thick and stupid, but I didn’t care.

The rest of the machine powered down, or at least it stopped making noises. Around me, I heard Jesse’s amused voice. “Stop what? The procedure is finished.”

I opened my eyes, and the tingling sensation began to fade. In its place, everything sharpened, and it felt like my eyes were stronger. The floor of the machine felt cold and smooth against my side; looking down, I gasped.

I wasn’t green anymore; I was pinkish.

The same hand from last week greeted me when I brought it up to my eyes. I touched my face; some parts felt similar, like my eyes and cheeks, but my nose and mouth were flatter. Humans didn’t have much in the way of a snout.

I spent a few moments looking at and feeling myself. I was smoother, taller—well, longer, since I was still lying on a floor. When my hands reached my head again, I found my ears were down lower and were buried under a length of hair; at the other end of me, I flexed my feet. I couldn’t move the individual toes, but I smiled anyway. I had toes.

When I smiled, a flood of thoughts and energy poured through me. I wanted to do something, anything more than just lying on a floor. I formulated a plan, or rather, making a plan seemed second nature: Step one, figure out how to stand up. Step two, do anything.

Anything.

Seeing the world through human eyes made me realize one core fact. I looked down at what used to be my flank, and all I found on my bare skin were fine, tiny hairs. In that moment, I felt absolute freedom, I felt a risky uncertainty, and I felt…

Cold.

That, I chalked up to having thinner hair than a pony; other than a few tactical areas, I was practically bare. That explained why I’d only ever seen images of humans wearing clothes, and why Jesse was weird about always wearing his—well, it wasn’t weird. It was necessary.

I picked up the gown and, with clumsy hands, wrapped it around me. It had buttons down the front, but as soon as I reached out with my magic, I just felt emptiness inside me. For a moment, I panicked.

Then, I took it as a challenge.

After the first few tries, I came to terms with how my new fingers didn’t quite have the dexterity or finesse that Jesse’s did. I felt a little jealous of him, but that only fueled more ambition: I could practice, and get better at it. I liked that plan.

For now, the gown was on, and even if I was still a little chilly, it was better than nothing. With my first obstacle cleared, I went back to my original plan and tried to stand up. Careful, scrambling motions slowly brought me up to a four-limbed standing position, on my hands and knees. I tried to stand up on my knees, since I could probably work my way up to my feet from there; after six attempts, the best I could manage was a wide, half-kneeling, half-sitting position.

I rolled my eyes and sighed; I couldn’t do it alone. Jesse’d been silent throughout my attempts—like he said he would, I guessed—so I called out to him. “Uh… help?”

The door to my chamber opened, and moments later, Jesse peered around the side of his control panel. After his eyes flashed up and down, he gave me a piteous smile. “Trouble with the buttons?”

I shot back a glare. “No, with standing.”

He nodded before walking over to the chamber. When he was in front of me, I noticed I was now eye-level with his stomach. Already, I was taller; I wondered how much higher I’d be when I stood up properly.

Jesse offered a hand and said, “Do you want to pull yourself up, or do you want me to lift you?”

My eyebrow raised in a smirk. Then, I wrapped my hands around his wrist and used him to steady myself as I stretched my legs out underneath me. I put my right foot flat on the ground before pushing up with it; as I did, Jesse lifted his hand to help me keep my grip. I put my second foot on the ground, then I grinned up—he was still about a foot taller than me because of his armor—at Jesse.

I was standing.

It didn’t last very long, however; once I let go of his wrist and tried to balance on my own, I overcompensated and fell backwards. Jesse grabbed my flailing arm, steadied me, and with a wave of his other hand, my gown closed and buttoned itself.

I chuckled. “Showoff.”

He grinned. “You’re already several months ahead of most humans, what with talking and being able to pull yourself into a standing position.”

“I guess.” Something about his face seemed odder than it’d been a few minutes ago; I couldn’t place it until I looked down at my hand. “Why’s your skin a different color than mine?”

“Melanin.” I looked back up at him, eyebrow raised, and he shrugged. “You saw the holofilms; skin isn’t just one hue. Same with your eyes and hair.”

Mentioning those things made me excited again. “I… do you have a mirror?”

“This way.”

Using Jesse as a crutch, I took my first few hobbling steps behind the machine, where a sink had been built into the wall. Above it was a mirror, and when Jesse and I lined up with it, I smiled as I recognized myself. When we reached the sink, I let go of Jesse and used it to steady myself as I gazed closer at the mirror.

Human-Lyra had the same amber eyes—minus the shape—but her hair was completely different. Instead of mint green with a white streak, now I had chestnut-colored hair that fell way past my shoulders—kind of like a mane, but as I tested it out with a hand, the roots only went down the back of my head, not my neck.

That drew my curiosity elsewhere, so lifted my gown and felt the base of my spine. It was just smooth skin; I mused aloud, “Huh. No tail?”

In the mirror, I saw Jesse’s appreciative, downward glance snap up into a confused, forward-looking stare. “You thought I had a tail all this time?”

I shrugged and dropped my gown so I could use my hands to turn myself around and lean back on the sink. When I was facing Jesse, I shrugged. “I’ve never seen you without some form of pants, so you might’ve.”

He returned the shrug and crossed his arms. “Let me know when you’re ready to come to your decision of helping me or not.”

I peered over my shoulder, and human-Lyra peered back at me from behind a lock of hair. I smoothed it back behind my ear, trying to mix this new information in with everything I’d already worked on. It didn’t hurt; it came with a massive boom in technology, longevity, and quality of life; it was fixing a wrong that’d been done to an entire species…

All of those reasons paled in comparison to the freedom I felt, the sharpness in my mind, and the sheer willpower. I knew exactly what Jesse’d meant when he spoke of “happiness stemming from ignorance”; with whatever chaos or magic or whatever taken out of my brain, for once, I wasn’t content with life. There was happiness, I knew, but I had to work for it, which’d make it all the sweeter when I got it.

I turned away from the mirror, sat on the sink, and crossed my arms over my chest. “You said three days? Sounds like we’ve got work to do.”

* * *

It took a while for Jesse to lead me down to the personnel dormitories, since I had to use him to steady my walking the whole way. I got better at balance and taking strides as we went, and by the time we got to the elevator, I only needed to keep one hand on his wrist to balance myself.

We went back to the holotheater, but instead of movies, we had a more practical use of the room. I sat down on the bench like before—that part was already easy—and Jesse dialed a sequence on the central dais’ buttons.

That time, instead of a movie, the room filled with a translucent sphere of blue light. A white dot in the center shimmered and spread out to the edges; as it did, parts of it stayed behind to make shapes. As I watched, the white shapes became more and more recognizable as buildings—first of Canterlot University, and then the rest of the city.

“How did you get this?” Even as I asked, I knew where the center of the sphere was: my student office. “And how long—”

“This is a map based on signals that are being collected and rendered in real-time,” Jesse answered. He turned to me and locked eyes. “But I’ve only been collecting data for the past week, when trying to analyze a schedule.”

Schedule? I wondered, but then I saw tiny pony-shaped figures that were moving throughout the entire city. My breath caught in my mouth before I managed to ask, “You can do that?”

“Technically, yes. Ethically…” His head waved from side to side. “Well, you’re probably not going to like the plan, anyway. But it’s necessary.”

His tone didn’t sit well with me. “What is?”

“There are three things I want to explain first…” He raised three fingers. Curling the first one, he said, “No one will die.” The second finger: “The only tactical advantage that ensures zero casualties is the element of surprise.” And the final finger: “They are lying about their roles in the cosmos.”

“They?”

Jesse bowed his head and flared his hands on either side of it. “The earth isn’t normally tide-locked, or rotationally locked. That was one of the campaigns of the enemy during the Chaos War. However, the reversal of that process is relatively simple, given the right tools. It stands to reason that keeping the earth’s rotational momentum low enough to require constant applications of chaos-based energy to spin it can only be for one purpose: the appearance of controlling of the sun.”

My breath came out a shudder as my stomach dropped down a few inches. “Celestia and Luna. You’re talking about… overthrowing them?”

He pushed a few of the light buttons on his wrist, but didn’t look up when he explained, “The time for a highly centralized government ended in the twenty-seventh century. It’s inefficient at its core, since it’s only truly needed to govern a society built on scarcity. With an increase in technology, monarchs’ place in the world is rendered obsolete.”

“Jesse…” I whispered. “Are you going to kill them?”

He shook his head. “It should actually be easier to absorb neuro-chaotic transformers from a living entity.”

I thought back to the large unicorn horn he’d absorbed before chasing after me in a glowing mania. “How do you know?”

“I don’t. Hence, ‘should’.”

My head shook. Here I was, presented with the idea of usurping the Canterlot throne, and my only questions were the practical end of it: “What if they fight back?”

The door to our room opened, and I turned to watch a long, casket-like robot float down the ramp. Jesse walked over to it, pressed a button, and lifted out a small, black sphere about the size of a baseball. He gave it to me, and I held on to it despite how unexpectedly heavy it was. With a chuckle, he explained, “That’s where you come in. What you’re holding is an intermittent chaos-dampening pulse emitter, weapons-grade.”

I blinked up at him. “Oh. It all makes sense now.”

“Watch yourself,” he warned. “The primary function of that is to take a small charge of chaos, then neutralize any and all sources of chaos within fifty meters.”

I looked down at the ball, then up at Jesse. “Magic turns it on, but it cancels out all magic around it?” I bent pulled my head back, confused. “Why?”

“Imagine throwing one into a group of fifty unicorns, who try to stop it…”

“Right…” I nodded. Then, the practical side of his example became clear, “So you want me to run into the throne room with this…”

His shaking head slowed me down to silence. “Watch…” He walked over to the controls of the holofilm projector, and Canterlot Castle moved to the center of the display. The walls turned slightly transparent, so I could see more of the castle than anyone had a right to. Jesse twirled a finger inside what I already knew was Celestia and Luna’s throne room. “Walls don’t really matter to the emitter, though they reduce its effective range by roughly a third each time it passes through one. Given guard patrols and scrutiny of various areas of the castle…” He moved his finger to a hallway that ran directly below the throne room. “Here, between these two pillars, is where you should activate the device.”

I looked down at my gown and legs. “So… wait, I need to be a pony for this…” I shook my head and snapped it back up to Jesse. “And wait, I’m activating the magic pulse-dampening thingy, so that’s going to hit me, too, right?”

Jesse nodded. “It’s a temporary effect that only lasts for about five minutes. Though, once everything goes according to plan, I doubt you’ll remain a little unicorn for much longer anyway.”

“And I’m guessing you’ve got a plan for when both of the sisters are going to be in there?” I shook my head at the incredulity of the whole situation.

“At exactly midnight, the guards transfer shifts, and the two of them are usually together in the throne room.”

Usually?

“I can outmatch one of them, alone, in combat. Without their unicorn guards, this plan works even if only one of them is initially caught in the initial pulse.”

“What if you get caught in the pulse?”

Jesse patted his armor. “It’s a pulse, not a field, so once the armor takes the hit, I’m the only chaos-wielding entity in the room.”

The slots on his armor made me think of something else: “Why can’t you do it?”

He grinned. “If one knows what it is, it’s fairly simple to shield oneself from it. The advantage you bring is that no one in the throne room will be expecting a pulse to fire from below them.”

Slowly, I nodded. It still felt like it was too much. All my questions from the past week came back to me, and they clung for a while as I struggled with them. I knew what was for the best, but... I shook my head clear, took a deep breath, and tried to look past my doubts in Jesse’s plan. For a tiny, final compromise, I asked, “And… and you promise no one dies?”

In response, Jesse reached into the casket-robot at his feet. He pulled out a tiny glass tube that was rounded on one end and had a flat, metal base on the other. Inside, a metallic liquid flowed in a lively, animated manner. “Remember the nanobots? They’re still alive, even without their transposers. And they probably have the collective brainpower of a squirrel. A pony body will be even more resilient to the extraction.”

I looked at the gray goo for a little longer; then I sighed and looked down at the device in my hands. My human hands. This was the culmination of Jesse’s plan, where he declared war on Equestria. Except… I shook my head. It’s not war, it’s just… dismantling.

For the first time since I’d found that dilemma, though, I found myself easily able to look past the near details. The next few days might be bad, but what about the weeks after them? I remembered Jesse’s talk of a new society—one without pain or scarcity, the human society that had been wiped out a few millennia ago. Everyone would be human, with truly open possibilities for where their lives could take them.

It’d be for the better.

I shuddered, since even that realization didn’t do much to diminish the gravity of the treason we were planning. Treason against one government to give everyone a new destiny…

“No one dies?” I spoke quietly to the floor.

“Only temporary incapacitation,” Jesse reassured me. His tone turned quizzical: “Would you like to try out one of the chaos dampeners on me?”

Kind of, I admitted to myself, but I shook my head. I looked up and stared into Jesse’s fire-blue eyes. For the first time, I saw warmth in them—a mote of compassion. He knew this was for the best, and so did I.

“All right then…” I let out a sigh. “Let’s get this over with.”