• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 9,611 Views, 467 Comments

The Adventures of the Elementals - AutoKnight01



Twilight and friends learn to combine the elements of harmony with those of naure to save Equestria

  • ...
45
 467
 9,611

Flowers and Fire

I only own my OC's and the plot.

The Adventures of the Elementals

Chapter 9: Flowers and Fire

After Spike had finished cleaning up in the kitchen after breakfast, he rejoined his friends outside in the main room of the library. It didn’t take long for their partners to find them. Typhoon was already there. But soon after, Cryo showed up, then Agua, then Terra and Gem together. Cryo reported to Pinkie Pie that he and Mr. Cake found a repair pony to fix the freezer and he was currently working on it as he spoke.

They conversed for a few minutes but all the while one of them remained silent. That one was Agua. He said nothing to anyone nor was he spoken to himself. He just sat in his place and looked around the setting he was in. He observed Twilight’s house from his own eyes and found it to be not his style. But there was one item there that caught his attention.

Near one of Twilight’s bookshelves, there was a picture frame and a photo inside it. The photo was of a white unicorn mare with a purple and white striped mane with three stars for a cutie mark. Her smile caught Agua’s attention. Along with other attributes.

“Twilight, this mare in the picture. Who is it?” he asked.

They were all a bit surprised to hear Agua finally talk. Nonetheless Twilight responded to his question when she saw the picture her referred to.

“What? Oh the picture. That’s my mother, Velvet. She lives in Canterlot.” Twilight answered.

After staring at the picture for a few more seconds, Agua turned away from it and addressed Twilight again.

“Twilight, you just went up a notch in my book.”

“Well that’s good.” Twilight said.

But then she took a second to wonder to herself why that just happened.

“Um….why have I just gone up a notch?” she asked.

“Because your mother is a grade-A MILF.” He answered.

That earned him nothing but the disgusted looks of everypony there. Everypony there….except for Twilight.

“Why thank you, Agua. By the way. What’s a milf?”

And bam. The level of noise in the place dropped down to zero. Twilight’s eyes met the very wide ones of everypony else presently in her house.

“What?” she muttered.

Thinking she had to know, Rainbow Dash hovered over to her lavender friend and whispered something into her ear. At first, Twilight seemed to easily get what Rainbow was saying and didn’t really seem off.

But a few seconds later, Twilight’s calm expression vanished. It was quickly replaced with one of shock and disgust. Holding that facial pose, she glared at Agua and approached him face to face.

“Okay water-boy.” She hissed. “I don’t care if you are an unpleasant pony who probably has enough power to kill me in one split second. If by some chance you do meet my mother face to face, and you even TRY to make so much as one TINY move on her, I will end you.”

That didn’t make Agua feel scared in the least bit. If anything he gave a chuckle signifying he wasn’t the least bit frightened.

“Twilight, a sophisticated lady such as yourself should not go around making threats.” Rarity advised as she approached her fellow unicorn.

Twilight gave a sigh knowing Rarity was right. But then the fashionista spoke again while glaring at Agua.

“He’s MY partner. I’ll kill him for you.”

Smiling to the sound of that, Twilight put a hoof around Rarity’s back.

“You’re a great friend, Rarity.”

A few minutes later, somepony finally noticed that there was one pony missing from their group.

“Hey Twilight? Where’s Pyro?” Gem was the one who asked.

That was indeed a good question. According to Cryo, Pyro usually comes back before the morning comes. That little line made Twilight see something that related to what Typhoon said to her in the kitchen. Apparently everypony in the group knew about the insomnia spell Pyro put on himself. But they were clueless as to the reason why he did it. He must have come up with some lie to buy them over.

Terra suggested going out to look for him and everypony was on board with it. As they all made their way out the door, Spike hopped on Twilight’s back. At least he thought he did. He didn’t realize it until his butt was planted. He only looked from behind and saw a purple pony. When Spike saw the color of her mane was almost entirely black, he found out he wasn’t on Twilight’s back. He accidentally jumped on Gem. Immediately he felt guilty and awkward.

“Oh! Sorry about that, Gem. I thought you were Twilight.” Spike apologized.

“It’s alright, Spike. I don’t mind.” Gem answered. “You can stay up there if you want.”

Spike wanted to get off her back and over to Twilight’s. But he found himself too lazy to want to move at all. So he just stayed put.

“Thanks, Gem.” He cheerily said.

With that, they went on. And Twilight felt relief not having to sustain Spike’s scaly butt on her back.

Not only were they looking for Pyro, but Twilight and the other five elements of harmony found themselves playing tour guide for Gem, Cryo, Terra, Typhoon, and Agua. The five present Alamantians were beginning to learn more about the town they were calling their temporary home. What they found most interesting was how the weather worked. The pegasus ponies made the weather themselves with schedules for what happens on what day. They all found it to be very odd.

All the while they still kept their eyes on the lookout for the red and orange unicorn that Twilight now called “partner”. It took about thirty minutes of walking around town but eventually…

“Hey, isn’t that him over there? At that restaurant?” Pinkie pointed over to a distant café.

The others followed her hoof and saw a few hundred meters away a red unicorn. Rainbow’s good eyesight was able to make out orange streaks in his hair. He was sitting at a table levitating some food up to his mouth.

“Oh yeah. That is him.” Rainbow said.

“Well let’s go over there and see what he’s having. I could go for a little breakfast myself.” Cryo said.

“Hold it!”

Cryo began to walk forward but Terra grabbed his tail with her teeth.

“We can’t go over there.” Look at who he’s sharing table with.”

That’s when all of them actually followed her instructions and looked at the other side of Pyro’s table. They saw somepony else sitting there talking with him. A girl. A young mare with a red mane around their own age. They couldn’t tell from a distance, but it looked like she was smiling.

“Is…..is that….Roseluck?” Rainbow could see from a long distance due to her eyes used to wind pushing against them.

“She’s kinda cute.” Cryo openly said. “What do you think, Terra?”

“Are you kidding? If I didn’t prefer the fellas, I’d do her.” The pony of earth said a bit louder than needed.

That little statement earned her the pleaser of hearing everyone around her groan with a bit of disgust.

“Too much?” she muttered.

“I’m going to need therapy just for hearing that.” Rarity whined.

“Sorry. I’m a bit too open at times.”

That was for certain.

“But who is that girl and why is she with Pyro?” Gem asked.

Rainbow looked at Gem as she asked the question and took notice of something. The tone she used wasn’t as soft as she usually speaks in. Also, her eyes seemed a bit narrower as if she was a bit….angered by the fact that there was a girl with Pyro. Rainbow’s thoughts on the subject would have to be put on hold.

“That’s Rose. She’s one of the town florists.” Fluttershy answered. “She’s very nice.”

“And she seems to be having a nice time with Pyro.” Spike observed.

“Well let’s just let him be then. I’m sure he’ll explain himself later.” Cryo said.

“No. He’ll explain now.”

Agua walked away from all of them and right for Pyro and the girl he was with.

“Oh come on, Agua.” Cryo begged him to stop. “All six of us have been cooped up in a rock for the past three years. We’re on the outside now, bro. We’re living! Let Pyro make new friends. Let him meet someone, for Alamante’s sake! In fact, I wouldn’t mind finding a nice girl myself. Not right now but still the point is clear.”

Typhoon gave a light smile at Cryo. But Agua’s scowl remained.

“Well good for you and your quest for a mate, Cryo.” He snarled. “But I’m still gonna talk with him.”

He started to walk forward again but was stopped by Terra who caught up to him.

“Don’t you believe in respecting other pony’s privacy?” Terra asked.

“Yes I do as a matter of fact. But that rules gets bent for this matter.” Agua then shot back at Terra. “But in your case, I’ll be there for when you get a date. I love it when to girls make out.”

When he turned his head away, everypony else there went wide eyed. It was one thing to make fun of Terra for smoking pot, but when it comes to sexuality in Ponyville, the whole town believes in a zero tolerance policy of making fun of it.

All of them looked at Terra who now had a stare at Agua that was even colder then the stuff that runs through Cryo’s body. Oh how she hated that water pony at times.

With one step forward, her eyes narrowed. Applejack heard something scrape the ground near her hooves and looked down. She saw that a few good sized rocks lying on the ground were starting to move towards Terra all on their own. After about fourteen rocks were close together, they began to lift up off the ground.

Applejack knew what was going on. Terra’s element is Earth. Rocks are earth. They’re hers to do whatever she wants with. And she had full intent to launch them right for Agua’s head.

“Terra, don’t do it. Don’t let him get to you.” Cryo advised.

She heard nothing. All her focus was on the rocks and hurting the water pony.

“Just one stone right to the back of his empty jackass head. Just one. Please.” She had wanted to do that for so long now.

“If you do, it will just mean he wins and he knows he can get to you.” Twilight added. “Terra, just let him go.”

She had no desire to do that. The stones she had hovering around her head were just itching to be thrown. But what she hated was that her friends were right. If she threw just one rock and it hit Agua or not, he would gloat and he won.

With a sigh, she released her mind grip on the rocks. They all dropped to the dirt ground and it was safe to approach her. Applejack did first.

“You alright, sugarcube?” she asked.

“Yeah.” Terra muttered with a hoarse tone. “One of these days, he and I will have it out. And I’ll show him just how much of a “hippy” I am.”

“Fightn’ with him won’t make things easier fer you, hon.” Applejack assured her.

“No. But I can bet it’ll bring me just a few minutes of peace.” Terra hissed.

“Well kudos for not doing it sooner.” Rarity told her. “I guess we better be there to make sure those two don’t start anything violent.”

That was logical. With Pyro and Agua, even with only knowing them for one day, the six elements of harmony had to agree. Those two weren’t very friendly with each other. And they wanted to know why.

As they approached, Pyro was oblivious as he looked across the table at the mare with whom he was having his meal with. At first he thought he would be a bit uncomfortable seeing as how he knew nothing about her as if it was a blind date. But it turns out, he was really enjoying himself. Rose was as well. Pyro felt really comfortable around the flower mare.

“So how long have you been a florist?” he asked.

“Five years I’ve been in the business.” Rose answered. “I run it with my two older sisters, Lily and Daisy. But I’ve been fascinated with flowers my whole life. There’s just something about them that makes me feel totally at peace. It’s like when I take one whiff, and all my worries just wash away.”

Pyro smiled at her. Already he was making a new friend. It felt good being outside the rock and actually talking to ponies other than his adoptive siblings.

“I’ve actually heard stories about flowers from your country.” Rose went on. “I’ve seen pictures and there was this one that really caught my eye. The stem was oddly red, the petals are the brightest of orange, and yellow leaves came from the stem. Oh what was it called?....uhh.”

“The Agnolia.” Pyro knew of the flower she spoke of. “The flower of fire.”

“Yes! That’s it.” Rose cried a bit loud. “That would have had me thinking all day. How did you know what it was called.”

The answer came with a frown from the pyrokinetic. He tried his best to not show it and barely succeeded.

“My mother’s a florist too.” he said with hidden pain. “Her flower shop sold the most exotic of flora one would ever see.”

Rose was interested to say the least upon hearing that. This stallion was the son of a florist.

“I your house was beautiful.” Rose commented.

“Yeah…..it was.” He murmured back.

He lived in a hut. Not a full size house. But that mattered not to Pyro. His hut back in Alamante was indeed always decorated with tons of gorgeous flowers. It made the overall scent of the place soothing. It helped him with meditation.

It had been so long he had forgotten what the scent even smells like. It pained him so deeply.

“What about you? How long have you been……um….. …..what exactly do you do for a living?” Rose realized she didn’t know Pyro’s occupation.

But as it turns out, nopony did. The question was enough to get Pyro away from his troubles.

“Nothing.” Pyro answered. “I don’t have a job.”

This was news to Rose. Everypony who’s at least sixteen or around that age has a profession. Everypony she knows that is.

“There aren’t a lot of jobs that involve my kind of talent.” Pyro added.

That made Rose remember what Pyro was capable of.

“Can you really do that….weird elemental stuff?” she asked.

The unicorn of fire smirked. Then he looked around and spotted an unlit candle on the table they were at. With a simple wink of his eye, the wick lit up in a small flame. Then Pyro reached out with one of his front hooves and the small flame levitated from the wick and went into his hoof.

Rose was very amazed to say the least. This was all being done with no magic. The stallion decided to give her a small treat. Turning his hoof upwards, he focused his mind on the flame and it began to reshape itself and grow. It took the shape of a long stem with thorns. Rose could see where this was going. When the stem was a foot long, the flame made itself into the shape of a full bloomed rose.

“It’s called pyrokinesis.” Pyro said. “But….weird elemental stuff works too.”

Rose giggled at the humor intended for that. Then Pyro waved his hoof and the fiery rose vanished. She was without a doubt impressed.

“It must have been cool to grow up with power like that.” she commented.

“It wasn’t all fun.” Pyro informed her. “When I was five I was put into intensive training on controlling my powers. Some parts were hell and some parts were just plain fun. Equestria ponies don’t get that kind of treatment due to them not having abilities such as our own.”

“Yeah tell me something.” Rose had a question. “How come your country has those element powers and the rest of the world doesn’t?”

That was a good question. It had Pyro stumped. He honestly couldn’t think of a valid answer. But one came. Just not from him.

“That goes all the way back to when Alamante was founded. It’s a long story.”

That was Cryo’s voice. The red unicorn stallion turned around and waved at them all.

“Good morning all.” He greeted. “How did you guys sleep?”

“Um….fine.” Spike answered. “Pyro why are you eating here? And….whoa. What happened to your head?”

Now all of them noticed a big white bandage on his head covering the bump he got last night. Fluttershy being the caring pony she is rushed to the wound and felt it with her hoof.

“Oh my. What happened to you, Pyro?”

“It’s nothing, Fluttershy.” Pyro insisted.

Just then, the pony with whom Pyro was having breakfast with gave a small cough. Pyro glanced at her realizing introductions were in order.

“Guys, meet what happened to my head.” Pyro said.

Rose gave them all a nervous wave and they all waved back.

“Once again, sorry about that.” Rose said to Pyro.

“And I’ll say it again. Don’t worry about. I heal very fast.” Pyro assured her.

“Hold on a second.” Agua said. “Pyro, who is this?”

“Oh yes. How rude of me.” Pyro remembered. “Guys, this here is Roseluck. But just call her Rose.”

Rose gave a small wave to them once more.

“Rose, these here are my brothers and sisters. This is Agua, Typhoon, Terra, Cryo, and Gem.”

The red maned earth pony seemed a bit confused when he called those other ponies his brothers and sisters. But she smiled at them nonetheless.

“Nice to meet you.” She said softly

“You too.” Four out of five of them said in unison.

Agua remained silent not feeling any pleasure in meeting her.

“Rose….what exactly did you do to his head?” Twilight asked wanting to know her partner’s injury.

“Oh well…..I was up late last night because I couldn’t sleep. And he was out too. I heard him coming close and I thought he was a burglar. So I may have….hit him in the head with a shovel.”

There was a short pause before the silence was broken again.

“Well…I suppose that’s one way to get a date.” Rarity said.

Rose and Pyro seemed flustered by that statement.

“This….this isn’t a date, Rarity. It’s just me saying sorry.” Rose informed her. “Nothing more.”

“If you want, you guys can join us. But I think you might have to pay for yourselves.” Pyro told them.

They were all seriously considering sitting down and joining him and Rose. Pinkie bounced over and took a seat in between them.

“Oh I love breakfast! It’s the most important meal of the day, you know. If you don’t eat breakfast then you’re exhausted for the rest of the day and you might as well just go back to bed and sleep for the whole day because…..”

She went on to rant for ten whole minutes about breakfast. Finally Cryo had enough and magically lifted her up and away from Pyro and Rose’s table.

“Okay, well thank you for the invitation Pyro. But I think we’ll all pass on breakfast.”Cryo said to his brother.

“I won’t.” Agua said. “I got a bone to pick with you.”

Pyro just groaned as he knew this wasn’t gonna be pretty. Rose got nervous. But then something weird happened, Agua’s whole body became encased in a block of solid ice.

Cryo was the one responsible. He lowered his glowing hoof and sighed.

“Oh he is gonna kick my butt for that.” he groaned.

Then he picked up the frozen Agua and then made himself and his friends walk away. But before they left, Pinkie went up to Pyro.

“Hey, do you think you could come by Sugarcube Corner around noon? I wanna show you my house! It’s the best in all of Ponyville….because it’s filled with SWEETS!”

Her nose was touching his and her eyes were bugged out a bit. It didn’t stop him from nodding though.

“O….kay. I’ll be there.” Pyro promised.

“Great!”

Pinkie then bounced off with the rest of her friends as they all left Pyro and Rose to their privacy. They finished up their meals and Rose called for the check. As they waited for it to come, Rose had to ask Pyro one more thing that confused her.

“You called those other ponies your brothers and sisters.” Rose informed. “Why?”

“Well…we’re not REALLY brothers and sisters. We’ve just grown so close we consider ourselves to be a family. Albeit a strange one but still a family.”

She still didn’t fully comprehend.

“How?” she wanted to know. “I saw all six of you when you….flew in. You look nothing alike.”

Pyro gave a small chuckle and explained.

“Just because we look different, it doesn’t mean anything. We care about each other. It doesn’t
matter what element we control or…whether we’re unicorn, earth pony, or pegasus. We look at each other and see the good and the good only.”

“Even in that blue guy?”

He gave another chuckle almost expecting her to say that.

“Yes even in him. He may not show it but I’m sure Agua has some good parts in him.”

“You have an optimistic eye.” Rose observed.

“When you live with him for three straight years, it’s needed. Along with some snappy comebacks because he tends to mouth off.”

Rose giggled at that. Then the check came and she laid the money down. With breakfast finished and Rose’s conscience clear, they stood back up and prepared to leave

“Thanks for breakfast.” Pyro said to her. “I guess I’ll see you around.”

Rose smiled at him.

“Yeah. Definitely.” She muttered back. “Catchya later, Pyro.”

“Have a good day, Rose.”

And with that, the two ponies walked in different directions. As he walked off, Pyro turned around and smiled at her. When he turned his head back, Rose looked back to smile at him.

When Rose got back to her flower filled home, she looked in a book and found the picture of the Agnolia Pyro mentioned. It was truly beautiful.

“How can a land with such pretty flowers be at war?”she wondered.