• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 9,610 Views, 467 Comments

The Adventures of the Elementals - AutoKnight01



Twilight and friends learn to combine the elements of harmony with those of naure to save Equestria

  • ...
45
 467
 9,610

Recap

I only own my OC's and the plot.

The Adventures of the Elementals

Chapter 8: Recap

All through the rest of the night, the citizens of Ponyville slept soundly. Most of them were unaware they had a silent protector watching over them. He made sure to make himself scarce before anypony saw him and got suspicious.

Daybreak came. Princess Celestia did her job quickly and raised the sun for all to bask in its light. The rays touched the ground and like clockwork, nearly everypony in Ponyville opened up their eyes to meet the light.

Fluttershy was among those who did. Her dark azure eyes opened slowly and took on the rays of light that now shone in them. With a yawn, she got up out of her bed and looked out the window to see all of her animals start to wake as well. And she knew what that meant. Time for breakfast. Peeking into the guestroom, she saw Typhoon’s face still sound asleep with the curtains shut. She lightly snored and a small scale breeze exited the room. Wanting to let her wake up on her own, Fluttershy closed the door back up and got to work with her animals.

She always fed the animals before she fed herself the first meal of the day. She just got herself a glass of water for a short burst of energy then fed them all one group at a time. Seed and worms for the birds and chickens, another glass of water for herself to get the taste of worms out of her mouth, and so on.

As she fed the animals, Fluttershy began to ponder about what happened yesterday. Typhoon seemed like a nice pony and all and she had no problem letting her stay in the guestroom of her cottage. It was the baggage that had Fluttershy worried. Typhoon came packaged with a whole fight against Nightmare Moon that Fluttershy and the others would be involved in one way or the other. Fluttershy had no desire at all to go through fighting Nightmare again. Sure the last time was a piece of cake, but things can change.

After she gave a few nuts to the squirrels in the trees, Fluttershy took a sigh and prepared to go inside to prepare herself breakfast. But she was stopped by Rarity. The unicorn told her pegasus friend that all six of the girls were meeting at Twilight’s house to discuss the previous night’s events. Spike was gonna make them all breakfast too.

Fluttershy agreed. What was the harm? Spike was making a free meal and his cooking was great. After a quick walk to the library, Fluttershy was pleased to find everypony else was there. Spike was in the kitchen cooking. Their Alamantian partners were all either asleep or otherwise involved with other things. All six of them took a seat in a circle as Rarity broke the ice.

“Okay everypony. Let us divulge. How did night one go with our new Alamantian bodyguards?”

Rainbow raised her hoof and decided to go first.

“It wasn’t too bad to be honest. I mean Gem’s a cool pony and all and she’s strong with that plasma stuff. But all in all, I don’t think she’s the right type of pony for me to be partners with. In all honesty, I think she should be with Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy looked strangely at her fellow pegasus friend.

“Why?” she wanted to know.

“Because she’s a lot like you. Quiet, talks softly, tries to go with the flow so everypony is happy, you two are a perfect match. I’ll trade you partners, Fluttershy. Gem for Typhoon.”

Everypony thought she was just joking. But the look on her face showed differently.

“Oh please. You just wanna trade because you think wind is cool.” Applejack stated.

Rainbow began to stutter.

“Yes! Um…no!...I mean….perhaps I….look the point is I think it would benefit us both if we have partners that are more like us.” She tried to reason with them.

But to no avail.

“No. Nopony is trading partners.” Twilight firmly said. “It doesn’t matter if our partners might not be the perfect match for us. This experience will teach us not only about another culture, but also coexistence.”

Everypony just looked at Twilight with straight faces.

“You already have a whole mess of letters to the princess planned, don’t you?” Rarity asked.

“Well….it’s not every day you get to take in a foreign pony who can move fire with his mind alone.” Twilight admitted with a somewhat dorky smile. “I didn’t even think it was possible for a pony to surf on lava.”

They would all ask her about that later. Even more later would they view that with their own eyes. Until then, they went on discussing their partners.

“What about you, Fluttershy? How’s Typhoon?” Rarity asked.

“Typhoon is a nice pony. It’s hard to understand what she says sometimes because of her accent but I catch on after a few seconds. Other than that, it’s no hassle at all.”

“Doesn’t it make you a little nervous that your new bunk buddy can read your mind at any given time and you won’t even know it?” Pinkie informed her.

Fluttershy had forgotten about that little fact about Typhoon. The pink pegasus of wind was telepathic. A mind reader. And by the first impression Fluttershy got from her, she was a damn good one.

“I trust she wouldn’t read my mind unless there was a good reason to.” Fluttershy said.

“Now what good reason is there to read anypony’s mind?” Applejack asked. “That psychic stuff is all just creepy voodoo hooey to me.”

“You thought Zecora was a creepy voodoo lady. But after getting to know her better, she turned out to be one of our good friends.” Twilight tried to reason with her.

“But Zecora ain’t psychic like Typhoon is.” Applejack said back.

“If we can trust these ponies enough with our lives, I think we can trust Typhoon to keep her telepathy off when necessary.” Rarity reasoned.

They all had to agree there. The six of them were trusting these foreign ponies to protect them. Trust was vital here.

“So….Typhoon is nice?” Rarity asked her yellow friend.

“Yes. Very.” Fluttershy responded.

“Well I like Typhoon too. Her eye for fashion is a keen one.” Rarity added.

Everyone else there just rolled their eyes as they moved on to the next pony.

“So how did you like it with Terra, Applejack?” Pinkie asked.

And thus began another session of complaining.

“Well it started off fine. Granny Smith was asleep for the whole day and all through the night so Terra hasn’t met her yet. Applebloom seems to like her. But the way she keeps lookin’ at Big Macintosh really creeps me out.”

“I do remember the first words she said to him were something about…pleasure.” Fluttershy said. “I don’t really understand what she…..oh. …….um…… … …. . never mind.”

She got it. The intense shade of red on her cheeks clearly indicated it.

“But it’s not just that. She smokes marijuana. And she’s even got one of those weird…glass water pipe things to smoke it from.”

Out of all six ponies, only one of them was able to put two and two together.

“You mean a bong?”

Rainbow said it. And now everypony was looking at her.

“Uh…yeah.” Applejack replied. “How’d you know what it’s called?”

“It’s general knowledge.” Rainbow answered in somewhat of a cocky tone. “I’ve had friends who smoked the stuff and every single one of them used a bong to smoke it.”

“When did you EVER have friends who smoked that horrible stuff?” Fluttershy asked concerned.

“Long ago and far away.” Rainbow put it flatly not wanting to touch the subject any longer.

“Okay, that covers the girls. Now let’s get to those whose partners are the opposite gender.” Applejack suggested.

And everypony agreed.

“Alright, Pinkie Pie. Your turn. How do you like living with the only natural cold-blooded pony?” Rarity asked.

“Cold-blooded? Oh not at all! Cryo may have ice in him but he’s a really fun person to be around. He even fixed our freezer! Well…not exactly. But he did freeze the inside of it to preserve what was in there. And I think he went with Mr. Cake this morning to go find somepony to fix it.”

“Really?” Rainbow was surprised. “You mean you actually have no problems with the walking ice cube?”

“His name is Cryo you silly forgetter girl. And no I don’t have any problems with him. He let me finish his desert for him after dinner, he’s amazing with the Cake’s twins, he doesn’t snore, and he loves music! I saw him with a bunch of records and a good player for them.”

“Well Ah’m glad to see at least one of us is happy with their pardner.” Applejack said honestly. “Pinkie’s havin fun with Cryo, while Ah’m stuck with Terra and her…..water pipe.”

“Bong.” Rainbow muttered.

“Oh whatever.” Applejack humphed. “It’s just not right I tell ya.”

“Well at least your partner isn’t obsessed with a stupid clam!” Rarity now took her turn in describing her first night with her partner. “All through the rest of the day that was pretty much all Agua talked about! Bobo this! Bobo that! Bobo Bobo Bobo! He is downright infatuated with that creature! He actually thinks if I give it a chance, I’ll like that clam more than I love my precious Opal.”

Then Rainbow openly spoke her mind.

“No offense Rarity. But I’ve only caught a small glimpse of Bobo, and already I like him better than Opal.”

“Ah second that.” Applejack agreed. “Like Rainbow said, no offense, Rarity. But Ah think even you have to agree when Ah say that, Opal ain’t really the nicest of critters.”

Rarity thought this was nonsense to her.

“Oh come on now. Opal isn’t that bad.”

Then Twilight voiced her opinion of Opal.

“Rarity, you brought her to my house one day. She saw a book with a mouse on the cover and then shredded it like it was nothing at all with her claws! It took me forever to find another copy of that book again.”

“Well what book has a picture of a mouse on it anyway?” Rarity asked.

Twilight gave a smile as she remembered the book.

“It was an old children’s book my mom used to read to me every night before I went to bed as a filly. It was called ‘The Tales of Jacques the Mouse.’ I used to love that story.”

“I remember that book. I actually have a copy myself.” Fluttershy said. “I read it to the mice in my house every night.”

The yellow pegasus smiled too as she recalled the book. But it turns out Rarity wasn’t done ranting about her partner of water.

“He is walking all over every fantasy I’ve ever had about a boy living with me.” She had imagined the scenario in her head many times. “He would treat me with such elegance and kind words. Make me every meal for me. On cold winter nights he would build a big and strong fire and cuddle with me under a blanket. And on rainy days or days I’m just not inspired or too sad to work, he would know just the right words to say to make me feel better. And later on…we would get married in a gorgeous wedding. And the experience on that first night would be so….”

It was right there Rarity realized she was about to tell all of her friends her most intimate desires in bed. Luckily she was able to stop herself.

“Please continue.” Rainbow teased.

Rarity scoffed and spoke again.

“Anyhow, that’s the ideal stallion for me.” She said before her tone went to a sad one. “And what I’m stuck with is….well….a hydrokinetic jerk with a possible clam fetish. Some dream huh?”

The rest of them had to give their unicorn companion a bit of sympathy. Their first impression of Agua was not a good one.

“Maybe in time he won’t be so….intolerable.” Twilight had to find the right word.

“I just fear by the time that day comes I’ll be dead for a hundred years.” Rarity complained.

Rarity was stuck. That was true. But there was still one more pony to hear from.

“What about you, Twi? How’d it go with Pyro?” Applejack asked.

“OOOooooohhh.” Rainbow taunted. “That’s right. Your partner is the HOT one. If you know what I mean.” She finished with a wink.

That pun was clearly intended. But Twilight had no desire to go along with it. Although it did get a few giggles out of the others. And she would never admit to it, but Fluttershy could have sworn she saw her blush a little.

“Well it was actually very interesting.” Twilight started. “He’s a level-headed guy who knows a lot about magic like I do. Although the kind of spells he specializes in are mostly used for combat. I didn’t even know there existed such types of spells.”

“Well don’t waste your time trying to learn them, darling. The last thing us unicorns need is to learn how to use magic in a violent way.” Rarity reasoned.

“I disagree.” Rainbow said. “We’re going up against Nightmare Moon here. I don’t think it would hurt to learn how to defend ourselves.”

“Let’s argue ‘bout this later.” Applejack stopped the two of them. “Go on, Twi.”

Twilight nodded and continued.

“Anyways, other than just talking about magic and the different cultures the two countries have, that was pretty much it.”

“So it looks like both you and Pinkie got good partners.” Rarity complained. “While I’m stuck living with a giant egotistical jerk!”

“Hey, at least yer partner isn’t on weed!” Applejack complained herself. “Ah swear Ah didn’t sleep well at all last night knowing she was high off her flank! What kinda protectin’ does that leave me with?”

“Hey hey hey! Lighten up! The effects of weed only last for about an hour and then they wear off. And I’ve learned that all it takes is a splash of water over the head to make you snap out of the high immediately. But doing that leaves you with a massive headache.”

Now as Rainbow explained all that, all five of her friends couldn’t help but notice how well she explained it.

“Rainbow….what do you have in yer house?” Applejack sternly asked.

Sighing, knowing she said the wrong thing, the pegasus confessed.

“Alright! I USED to smoke the stuff but I’m clean now. It was years ago before I moved to Ponyville. I was young, confused and Gilda introduced me to it. She was my only friend back then so I gave it a shot and got addicted.”

Gilda the Griffon. Everypony remembered her as nothing but a selfish jerk. Rarity was about to say something relating to Agua on that definition, but decided not to just tired of knowing he lived with her now.

“Well it’s no surprise to me that Gilda would get you hooked on such nasty stuff.” Pinkie commented. “So how did you get clean, Dashie?”

“It wasn’t easy but I had to stop smoking by myself with no one to help me. I had just moved to Ponyville and the weather patrol required a drug test. I passed it and I’ve been clean ever since.”

That was pretty much it. The five other mares gave Rainbow a small applause as if it were some kind of group therapy session.

“Good fer you, Rainbow. But that still doesn’t make me feel better ‘bout Terra.” Applejack said.

“Hey my partner isn’t really perfect either.” Twilight commented.

“Oh what do you have to complain about?” Rainbow thought Twilight sounded ridiculous. “Your partner’s the most level headed of them all. What’s wrong with him?”

“I’m not saying he’s odd, Rainbow. He’s a very nice pony. But….the thing about him is….he doesn’t sleep. While Spike and I slept last night, Pyro just went out by himself walking around town.”

“You mean he’s been awake the whole time?” Fluttershy asked.

“Oh my. Let’s just hope she doesn’t get cranky like Applejack did during applebuck season.” Rarity added.

Applejack’s ears dropped down upon remembering that unfortunate event.

“Ah thought we agreed to never speak o’ that again.” She groaned.

“Sorry, Applejack.” Rarity said before turning back to Twilight. “But was he at least tired?”

“No. And here’s how. It turns out he cast a spell on himself to keep himself from falling asleep or becoming tired. For all I know, he’s never slept a day in his life.”

“He cast a spell on himself?” Rarity sounded frightened. “But…that’s just insanity!”

“I know right?” Twilight agreed.

Now with Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie pie not being unicorns, they had no idea what the problem was.

“Hold up. What’s so scary about using magic on yerself?” Applejack asked.

Rarity and Twilight gladly explained.

“Mature unicorns can cast magic on other objects and other living creatures no problem. But in time, our bodies grow some sort of intolerance to our own brand of magic.” Twilight started.

“It’s kind of like my own magic is like a disease to myself.” Rarity added.

“Hold on a second.” Rainbow stopped them. “What about that spell that allows earth ponies to walk on clouds? Didn’t you cast that on yourselves?”

“Oh heavens no!” Rarity corrected. “I cast that spell on Twilight and then she put it on Pinkie and Applejack.”

“But what about Twilight and her teleporting?” Fluttershy asked.

That made everypony except Rarity question the claim of this magic intolerance. But Twilight and Rarity were quick to clarify.

“Teleporting is the only spell unicorns can perform without succumbing to magic sickness because of its mild nature.” Rarity explained.

“If we were to cast more advanced and concentrated spells on ourselves, we would have gotten a disease called, “Magic Sickness”.” Twilight added.

“And the symptoms are not fun. They vary all the time. Violent coughing, vomiting for a week, headaches, stomach aches, it’s horrifying.” Rarity added.

“One time in Canterlot, I tried to levitate myself across the room. I started this sneezing fit which didn’t stop for like twelve hours.” Twilight winced remembering how much her nose hurt after sneezing so much like that.

Then Spike came out with a big plate of food for all six of them. He had heard what Twilight had said.

“I remember that day. I thought she stuck a pepper shaker up her nose.” Spike was smiling during that sentence.

“Did it ever occur to you to help me with that problem?” Twilight sternly asked as Spike put down the plate.

“Well I wanted to but I couldn’t breathe. I was laughing too hard.” Spike then saw the glares of both Twilight and Rarity pointed right at him.

“Spike, Magic Sickness is no laughing matter. If the spell is too extreme, then it can be lethal.” Rarity warned him.

Spike sighed and then served everypony breakfast consisting of different flavored sandwiches. And Spike himself had a few rubies to munch on. All of them ate for probably ten minutes straight without talking. After they were all done, Spike took the dishes back to the kitchen and the conversation picked up right where it was as if it never stopped.

“Well okay then. How come Pyro turned out okay after casting that spell on himself?” Applejack asked.

“Because Pyro’s immunity is much stronger zen normal ponies.”

That voice was in a French accent. Everypony turned to see Typhoon enter the library and close the door behind her. Then she went on explaining something interesting to the rest of the girls there.

“Zere are two ponies in my family who have unbreakable immune systems. Pyro and Cryo. And zat ees a good zing considering both of zem are unicorns.”

“What’s so special about their immune systems?” Rainbow asked.

“Pyro has fire flowing through hees body. Any disease zat gets inside of heem gets burned away by hees super heated blood. Eet makes heem immune to anything including ze magic sickness. Cryo’s body works ze the same. Kind of. Instead of burning, hees body freezes ze germs.”

That got Twilight thinking, if those two were protected, what about the rest of them. Needed to know right away, she asked.

“What about you, Terra, Gem, and Agua?” the lavender unicorn asked.

“For us four, we have ze same immunities you do.” Typhoon answered.

So that explained it a bit. Pyro’s and Cryo’s bodies can kill any type of germ or disease that gets inside them. It only made them even more interesting. And a bit supernatural aside from their element powers.

Fluttershy remembered her manners and said hello to her partner.

“Good morning, Typhoon.” Fluttershy greeted her. “How did you sleep?”

“Very well. Merci.” Typhoon replied. “So what were you girls talking about?”

“Oh..uhhh…we were just…talking about….the party Pinkie’s planning on throwing for you and the rest of the others.” Twilight fibbed.

“Hey! How did you know? It was supposed to be a surprise!” Pinkie cried unknowingly blowing her cover.

It wasn’t a very convincing lie. It was all Twilight could think of at the time. And at the same time, Pinkie just blew the cover herself for the party she was planning for the new guests. The pink psychic pegasus was able to see that without using telepathy.

“Ees zat seriously ze best lie you could come up with?” she asked.

They all seemed startled Typhoon called them on it so easily.

“H-how did you know we were….” Rainbow Dash stopped herself from finishing that sentence upon remembering exactly what Typhoon can do other than wind control. “You read our minds. Didn’t you?”

“At first I wasn’t going to.” Typhoon admitted. “But when I entered ze place, I heard you mention Pyro. So I probed.”

None of them really liked the idea of their minds being so vulnerable to Typhoon like that. Except for Pinkie who didn’t really care at all.

“Well Ah understand that, Typhoon. But our minds are our own personal business. And Ah think it would be best if you stayed out of em’.” Applejack sternly said.

“I understand. I will cut back with ze mind reading. You ‘ave my word.” Typhoon agreed. “But now I must ask. Why were you talking about Pyro?”

That was the one thing Typhoon didn’t fish for when she was in their minds a minute ago.

“We were talking about why he put a spell on himself that makes him not fall asleep.” Applejack answered.

Typhoon went strangely silent. Without a word, she walked right past them all and stopped in front of Twilight. She looked down at her with concern.

“Twilight…may I speak with you alone?”

That was all Typhoon said before she started to make her way to the kitchen.

“Um….okay.”

Twilight got up and followed her not knowing what to expect. When she got to the kitchen with Typhoon, the psychic pegasus made Spike leave the room. Then she locked the door to the kitchen. Twilight was starting to regret putting locks on every door in her house right then. From the looks of it, she thought Typhoon was gonna murder her or something.

That was not the case here. Instead, Typhoon just wanted to talk. It was about something very important.

“Before I get to saying anything, I want you to promise me zat you will not breathe a single word about zis to anypony. Do you promise?”

Her tone was dead serious. Secret keeping was something Twilight had gotten better at over time. So she trusted herself.

“Okay. I promise.” She assured Typhoon before she went on.

After taking in a breath, Typhoon began.

“Twilight, everypony in zis group has secrets they wish to not tell yet. Zis is one of Pyro’s I zink you should know since you live with him now.” Typhoon went on. “Zere’s a reason Pyro put zat spell on himself. And here’s why.”

Then Twilight heard the story of her partner.

“It was right when ze war began. Probably a month or two into eet. Ze attacks were starting to spread from one territory to another. I zink most of us suffered losses.”

Twilight then began to get some idea of where she was going with this.

“Pyro’s mother, Agnius, was murdered in a surprise raid on ze Ember tribe. He took eet really hard. After seeing her die in front of heem, he was just…broken.”

It didn’t really help Twilight understand Pyro better. But hearing that made the unicorn mare feel a great deal of sympathy for her pyrokinetic partner. She had no idea what the pain must feel like to lose someone close to you in front of your very eyes..

“Okay….so his mom got killed. Um…..what about his dad?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know. He never said anything about hees father. I did ask once but it strangely made heem angry.” Typhoon answered. “But zat’s not important. What’s important ees thees. I am ze first one he found when Master Ma sent him out to find ze six symbol bearing ponies. He confided in me. He told me whenever he falls asleep, he has the same nightmare zat makes heem relive hees mother’s death all over again. And when zat happens, hees powers go out of control. Zen he burns everything around. He can’t help it. I actually saw heem do eet one night before he used ze spell. Zankfully I was able to quell his fire with my wind powers.”

This caught Twilight by surprise. She had seen up close what Pyro can do. He was amazing. And he said himself that he was taught by the wisest pony in all of Alamante. The thought of him losing control of his powers sounded ridiculous.

“So you see, ZAT is why Pyro put zat spell on heemself. To protect heemself and everypony around heem. Just please PLEASE don’t tell heem I told you. I promised heem I wouldn’t tell anyone about zis but since you are living with heem now, I feel you have ze right to know.”

Sympathy. Nothing but sympathy. Twilight’s opinion of her partner changed. He wasn’t some wacked up weirdo. He has PTSD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He relives bad memories in nightmares so he put a spell on himself to avoid them. Clever as it was it still sounded a bit…over the top.

“I…wow.” Twilight had trouble finding the right words. “I promise I won’t tell a soul about this.”

“Merci.” Typhoon finished. “I’ve seen hees mind. I know vhat goes on hees head all ze time. I worry about heem.”

“Well I don’t think you have to.” Twilight put in her opinion. “Sure what he went through was tragic, but don’t you think he’s capable of handling himself?”

Typhoon shrugged at the point Twilight made. Typhoon secretly watched over Pyro telepathically. All the time too. But Pyro’s a big boy. He doesn’t need protection. If only Typhoon could see that.

“Perhaps. Let us join with ze others.”

With that, the private conversation was over and the two mares rejoined the others waiting for them out in front. When Twilight was asked by her friends what it was all about, she just answered it was some tips about Pyro and nothing else. Then Applejack sarcastically asked for some pointers regarding Terra. But Typhoon didn’t think she was being sarcastic.

“Okay, here are a few zings you should know about Terra.”

Typhoon then explained to Applejack that Terra only smokes once a week or when Agua is being an extra jerk to her. The bong is stress relief for her. But Applejack knew there had to be a reason why Terra would start such a nasty habit to begin with. She would figure it out soon enough.

Then Typhoon went on to give the others a few pointers about their partners. Rainbow was told that Gem is shy, but a scientific genius. She built her tesla coils herself from scratch using nothing but levitation magic and tools. She is just very modest and doesn’t think very highly of herself despite her being a very strong pony.

Pinkie didn’t really need any pointers by the looks of it. She and Cryo were just fine.

The only advice Typhoon could think of regarding Rarity and Agua was….don’t make him mad. It wasn’t very helpful but it was all she could come up with at the time.

Just when everypony thought she was done,

“Oh and one more theeng, Rainbow.”

….she had one more thing to say.

“Yes?” the cyan pony acknowledged her.

Typhoon’s eyes seemed to narrow into a very stern expression with her next sentence.

“I care deeply for my leetle seester, Gem. Some would say I am a bit overprotective of her. And guess what? Zey are right. So I am giving you one warning. Eef you say something to my seester that hurts her and makes her shed so much as ONE tear, I will come for you.”

She was dead serious. She spoke with an accent but the tone clearly indicated she was serious in her words.

“Uh….okay.” the rainbow pegasus muttered.

And with that, Typhoon’s glare vanished.

“Magnifique.” She said.

That was scary to say the least. Typhoon just made a solid threat at Rainbow Dash. Nopony had ever threatened her before. This is where Fluttershy learned something about her own partner. She’s overprotective. And not just a bit. A LOT. That little threat made it clear to all of them. But they were sure they didn't have to worry. None of them had any intention to do anything that would trigger the wind mover in such a way.

This was just part one of the morning. The rest of the day would bring a few surprises