• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 9,610 Views, 467 Comments

The Adventures of the Elementals - AutoKnight01



Twilight and friends learn to combine the elements of harmony with those of naure to save Equestria

  • ...
45
 467
 9,610

A Day of Firsts (Part 1)

I only own my OC's and the plot. Enjoy!

The Adventures of the Elementals

Chapter 21: A Day of Firsts (Part 1)

Two weeks went by since the Canterlot incident and life returned to normal. Well, not entirely normal. The elements were still coping with the recent bomb dropped on them that they were reincarnated from gods. Plus they still needed to heal up from their injuries. Applejack hated that salve she got from the doctor with a burning passion but it was helping her big wound safe from infection. Over the time, Gem's many wounds had begun to vanish and everypony hoped all of them would be gone by the time her birthday came around. Cryo and Pyro were walking again finally without assistance from healing spells. But if all that stuff wasn't enough to deal with, they were getting pounded on almost every day now by members of the press requesting interviews for the paper. And not just the Ponyville Express, the Manehattan Times wanted in, the Fillydelphia Bee, Canterlot Chronicles, it seems news of the recent Alamantian additions to the country had become rapidly known about in a shorter amount of time than they had anticipated. Even though that was true, all six of them still strongly remembered Pyro's words from the start of this and did their best to blend in with normal life as much as possible.

Also during those two weeks, two big days for two Alamantians were being prepared for. Pinkie Pie was pulling out all the stocks to make Gem's first birthday party a night she will never forget and had a list of ponies to send invitations to going all the way down the staircase of Surgarcube Corner. Over in Carousel Boutique, Rarity was busy putting fabric choices together to try and come up with the perfect outfit for Cryo to wear on his very first date in all his sixteen years of existence. She wanted to create something that matched Cryo's well built physique and also reflected upon his power over ice. It also had to be formal because of this date's location. Not only was it in Canterlot, but also the Rose Petal which was the fanciest of fancy restaurants in possibly all of Equestria.

The only time Rarity took a break from designing her first male outfit was to put her thoughts and heart into a dress she was creating as her birthday present for Gem. She would reveal on the special day to everypony with Gem being the first to view its beauty of course. That was something everyone had to focus on; it wasn’t the dress, but it was getting Gem a gift. This was a new thing for the Alamantians because they had never gotten each other a single gift before. Plus they had zero money to spend. So their reliance was on their partners for this. Cryo had his already taken care of. The pair of earrings he got for her in Canterlot. Rainbow Dash has gotten Gem's gift first out of all of them knowing exactly what she would like.

Shortly after Agua had picked up his gift for his youngest sister, he received a package from Princess Luna via magic teleportation. It was a note telling him to study up and a couple of old Alamantian books on hydrokinesis. When Twilight first saw them she was immediately fascinated with them and begged Agua to lend whatever ones he wasn't reading at the time to her. She literally begged. Knowing that she would probably never let up or be devastated if he said no, Agua gave in and said yes. There were about five books in total in good weight and thickness. So Twilight took four home with her as Agua began to read the first one wondering why Luna wasn't teaching him directly yet.

Finally, the big day came. First thing Rainbow Dash did in the morning was wake up, rise up from her bed, and zip into Gem's room to bid her,

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Gem nearly went through the roof of the house and landed back on the fluff of cloud she used as a bed. She clutched her chest and was breathing rapidly.

"Don't you ever do that again." she pleaded with her partner.

Giggling, Rainbow helped Gem get up.

"Aw don't be scared, Gem. It's just your birthday. And this is the very first time you get to celebrate it. Not just with friends, but ever! Now as Pinkie Pie would say, come on and smile!"

Gem managed a little one. It wasn't much but it bought Rainbow over.

"Now let's go to Rarity's house and see if she's finished with Cryo's clothes."

After she saw her nod, Rainbow walked ahead of Gem and the unicorn gave a frown knowing Rainbow wouldn't see it. The pegasus floated down with her wings and Gem made a staircase out of plasma she walked all the way to the ground. It was then only a short walk to Rarity's house. Rainbow didn't even bother to knock. She just opened the door and walked in assuming Rarity was home. She was right but that really didn't make it any less rude.

"Yo Rarity! Where are you?!" She called.

"Upstairs, Rainbow! Do NOT come up here until I say you can!" the fashionista called from her studio on the second floor.

"She's really been focused." Pinkie bounced over and greeted her two friends and hugged Gem very very tightly. "Happy birthday, Gem!"

Gem groaned a bit in pain when Pinkie grasped and squeezed. She heard and felt something crack in her back as well and her ability to take in air was cut back.

"Okay, Pinkie. Thank you. Please put me down. I kinda wanna live to see this day through."

Pinkie dropped her down to the floor and bounced over to RD.

"Finally somepony else came! It's just been me and Mr. Grumpy Water over there for nearly an hour."

She gestured behind her and Rainbow finally noticed Agua was in there with them and not even paying attention. He didn't even bother to say hello. He was too busy reading a book Luna sent him.

"Has he even moved?" Rainbow whispered.

"Not since I've been here." Pinkie replied. "He's just kept his nose buried in that book. It's like he's Twilight or something."

"Oh please." Rainbow softly spoke a reply. "If he was like Twilight in any way, we would all be doomed."

"You do know I'm right here and therefore capable of hearing you, right?" Agua finally spoke.

Rainbow and Pinkie were startled to hear him talk. He seemed so into his book they thought he wasn't paying attention. Seeing as how he was now, Rainbow Dash walked up to him to talk.

"Say, Agua, Gem is here. Don't you have something to say to her?"

Agua for the first time in an hour looked up from his book but only for a second to look at his youngest sister.

"Hi."

And just like that his eyesight returned to the words on the pages. Rainbow wasn't satisfied.

"No. I meant do you have anything to say to her regarding this VERY DAY?"

For a second time, Agua looked at Gem with the same expression.

"Oh yeah. Happy birthday."

The unicorn nodded.

"Thank you, Agua."

With a nod from his own head, Agua got back to reading intensely as the three mares also occupying the room with him sat around and chatted. While they talked, everypony else in their social group began to show up eager to see the outfit. They talked for what seemed like a good twenty minutes before sounds from above interrupted them.

"Ow! Rarity, not so tight!"

"Cryo, do you want to look good for Octavia or not?"

"Of course I do! But I kinda wanna live to see her too!"

"Oh ha ha, very funny. Just stand still for one more minute."

She wasn't kidding. It took one more minute on the dot before the designer finally came downstairs. Her mane was a mess, there were bags under her eyes, even her coat fur was going everywhere.

Her friends looked at her with concern, and a bit of fear because she looked a bit scary.

"Uh...Rarity, when was the last time you slept?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh sleep? How silly! Fluttershy, when you are in the zone, sleeping is NOT a priority! I must stay focused! I've been drinking coffee for the past three days!"

That made the level of concern rise up to eleven.

"You've been drinking coffee for three days straight without a wink of sleep?" Twilight asked. "Rarity, that isn't very healthy."

"Oh don't be so silly, Twilight! I've never felt more alive in my life! I feel like I could probably go for weeks without sleep. Have you ever tried this coffee I got? It's FANTASTIC! Just simply fantastic! I say if I ever find the stallion or mare who invented it, I will kiss him or her!"

She wasn't done rambling. Her mouth was running at a pace that made Pinkie Pie's look slow.

"Would you mind if I execute a tactic guaranteed to snap her out of it?" Terra asked the entire group.

All of them nodded their heads giving Terra the green light. Nodding, the yellow mare walked up to Rarity and stood right in front of her.

"Oh hello, Terra! You look good today! But you know what? I can make you look better! All I need to do is just trim your mane a bit, adjust your headband back a ways, and-"

"Snap out of it you psychopath!"

*SMACK!*

Terra's right hoof made its way roughly across Rarity's left cheek. Hearing the sound made Agua finally lose his concentration and walk away from the book. He looked at his partner and noticed a bright red mark on the left side of her muzzle which she was tenderly rubbing. She also looked into Terra's eyes quite shocked at what she had done but had no problem understanding why.

"Um...thank you, Terra. I suppose I needed that." she murmured.

"Suppose?" Applejack laughed. "Sugarcube, you were actin' crazier than Twilight was with the whole Smartypants thing."

Everypony laughed at the reminder of that little incident. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy all told their partners about that day. Pyro however was not informed on the matter.

"Wait. What Smartypants thing? What is that?" he asked curious to know what everypony found so humorous.

"Oh you should have been there, Pyro!" Pinkie bounced. "Okay, so one day Twilight is freaking out over a letter to Celestia and then she decided to-"

"Homina homina homina HOMINA!" Twilight yelled forcing Pinkie's mouth to a halt. "Pinkie Pie, everyone else, I would very much appreciate if MY partner didn't know certain things about me. And if he respects that, which he does, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't either."

Pyro nodded indeed respecting Twilight's wishes. But that didn't stop the rest of them chuckling and one of them from opening their mouth.

"You caused all of Ponyville to go into a riot over a doll." Gem began to laugh truly finding it hilarious.

That caused all the others aside from Twilight and Pyro to join her. But soon enough Twilight found herself standing alone as Pyro and Spike began to chuckle too. After the red stallion of fire saw the glare his partner was giving him, he immediately stopped himself and coughed to clear his voice.

"So uh...Rarity, how goes Cryo's outfit?" he asked trying to change the subject.

Rarity's eyes were filled with stars as she remembered why they were all there.

"Yes of course! I just finished it! He's wearing it right now and he looks just dashing. If he weren't already going on a date with Octavia there's a chance I would have asked him out when I saw how he looked upon completion."

After she said that, she rushed upstairs and came back down shortly with the stallion of ice right behind her sporting his new clothes.

His mane and tail remained the same. That wasn't the part anypony was looking at. He was wearing a tuxedo top on the front of his body styled to resemble his icy ways. It was colored a light teal blue a bit darker than his hair with both darker and lighter trim along the borders. It almost seemed fluffy on the inside like most winter fashions are. Around his neck was a white grey bowtie.

Everypony smiled in admiration of Rarity's exquisite work. The smile belonging to the birthday girl was a bit faked. Lucky for her nopony noticed one bit.

"Well well well, Cryo. You look sharp." Terra complimented his brother.

"Terra, my element is ice. I'm ALWAYS sharp." Cryo raised a his right hoof to get a feel for the clothes. "This is really comfortable, Rarity."

"That should show you never to doubt me, darling." Rarity replied. "Now, your date is in a matter of hours, take those clothes off, take them home, and do not go anywhere near them till it is time to leave."

"Okay fine." Cryo had something else to say. "I'll do that. But you go up to your room right now and get some sleep before Gem's party tonight. You seriously need it."

"But...but I can't!" Rarity complained. "I've had too much coffee to fall asleep!"

"I think I can help you with that." Twilight put a hoof around Rarity's back and started to walk her upstairs. "See you later, guys."

That was all that needed to be said and done. While Twilight put a spell on Rarity to fall asleep for at least six hours, everyone else left and headed on home while Pyro and Spike waited outside for Twilight to rejoin them.

While Rarity was snoozing, Cryo and Pinkie Pie were readying Sugarcube Corner for the birthday party. Streamers, banners, cupcakes, regular cake, and every other type of sweet that could have been thought of was served on a tray and placed on a table. One table remained empty for the pile of gifts Pinkie was absolutely certain the unicorn of plasma would receive.

After the six hours passed on Twilight's spell, Rarity awoke in her bed feeling more refreshed than she had in the past couple weeks. Her mane was a bit messy but that was easily remedied with a quick shower, a comb, and some hairspray. To top it off, she sprayed some perfume on her face. She then proceeded to her closet and pulled out her present to Gem. An exquisite black grass laced along the borders with purple shining gemstones and a matching necklace of a gem.

Down under the water of the backyard pond, Agua was having a little chat with his pet giant clam, Bobo about the possible future of the night.

"Now remember, Bobo, if I come back down here with a lady tonight..." he pointed at the clam to finish the sentence.

"Go to the other side of the pool to sleep." Bobo's deep voice replied.

"Good. And in the off chance I come down with two..."

"Press the button and start the camera. I got it."

There was a whole set up. Bobo could move himself through the water on his own which means he could set himself down on anything he wanted. Agua had a camera set up concealed behind a few bushes and shielded from water damage. There was a small button attached to a cord extending to a few feet away from the camera. And the lens itself was pointed right makeup of rocks and leaves Agua called his bed. All Bobo had to do was set himself down on the button and Agua would be able to relive whatever memories of that bed he wanted. The thought made him smile at his beloved pet.

"You are the most slammin' clam to ever exist. You know that?" he asked still grinning.

"Boy, you got that right!" Bobo fully agreed. "Now don't forget Gem's gift."

"Oh yeah, right."

Agua pushed himself to the other side of the pond and he glided right above the surface like a wingless pegasus. The way he swam was almost as graceful as flight itself. Lying on top of a small rock was a flat box a big enough to fit something slim or foldable inside.

"And be sure to tell her it's from me too." Bobo insisted.

Agua chuckled and smiled at the shelled creature.

"I'll be sure to, buddy. See ya in a few hours."

He grabbed the box and pushed himself up to the surface. As he breached the water and walked onto solid ground again, his body immediately went dry of all drops of H2O. Rarity was at the edge of the pond waiting for him with her gift to the birthday girl floating beside her in a blue field of magic. Together they started to walk to Sugarcube corner.

Over at the bakery, nopony had arrived yet and that was a good thing. Pinkie and the cakes were just nearly done with the decorations and food while Cryo was upstairs putting his suit back on for the second time in the day. When he reached the bottom step, the three main residents of the house noticed him.

"Alright. Uh...I guess I'll see you guys later tonight."

Mr. Cake chuckled as he took notice of Cryo's hesitation in the sentence.

"Nervous are we?" he asked.

Cryo sighed and adjusted his collar.

"Maybe just a little bit. I mean it's my very first date and all and I've never even interacted with another girl like this and...I'm totally freaking out here!"

Mrs. Cake, hearing what Cryo had said, dropped what she was doing and walked over to ease his mind.

"There there, Cryo. No need to panic. You're a good pony. And from what I've heard around, your date is a classy mare. Just stay calm and you'll be fine."

Her husband threw a hoof around Cryo's back in an effort similar to his love to calm him down.

"Son, you saved this girl's life. So right off the bat, she likes you on some level. Just play it cool and stay smooth."

As soon as he finished saying it, Mr. Cake realized how much of a pun his final sentence was.

"Cool and smooth." Cryo repeated. "Like ice. I can do that."

"Good. Now go off and have fun." the stallion of the house got back to his work.

Cryo, with a bit more confidence, headed for the door ready to head for the capital city ready for teleportation.

"Oh oh oh, wait! Cryo!"

He froze right outside the doorway and turned to his left to view his partner.

"Where's your gift for Gem?"

"It should be upstairs in my room. Little box wrapped in shiny purple paper. Can't miss it."

Pinkie nodded and headed back inside while Cryo stood right outside the door, looked towards Canterlot viewing it in the distance, took a deep breath, and teleported in the form of a big ball of ice and snow headed straight for the city.

Five more minutes later and the guest of honor had arrived along with a few more of their friends. Rarity being the first among them insisted Gem open her gift right now. Gem did so and gasped at the sight of the extravagant dress the seamstress put together. It was just her size and a perfect fit. Using her magic, Gem slipped it on to wear for the remainder of the party. Then she hugged Rarity who was more than happy to return it. Soon enough, the rest of the family was there and Pinkie declared the party to be officially underway as the place began to fill up with more ponies little by little as the minutes passed.

The party had just begun and the stallion of ice had arrived in Canterlot. To make sure he didn't cause a scene and attract attention, he ended up teleporting himself into an alley not far from the restaurant. After checking if the coast was clear to walk out, he did just that and his eye spotted the Rose Petal Cafe.

Just from viewing it from the outside Cryo could tell why it was known to be fancy. There were two stories of the establishment both of them having an outdoor area for eating and viewing the sunset. Along the outside fences and railings both above and below, they were covered with rosebushes full with red full bloomed roses. Cryo could smell them on approach. Delectable.

After he sniffed the pleasant aroma, he spotted a problem. The front door of the place had a red velvet rope blocking it, a royal unicorn guard standing on the left of the rope, a podium with an earth pony clerk on the right side of the rope, and a long line of ponies wanting to get into the restaurant behind the rope. The clerk was looking at a list of ponies' names on a clipboard to verify who was going in was who they said they were.

Normally Cryo's instinct would have told him to go to the back of the line and wait for his turn like a normal pony. But tonight something inside him made him think differently. It may have been the clock that showed it was exactly 5:30 when he looked at it. Showing up late never had been his style and he didn't want it to be now. He walked straight up to the podium and stood next to the couple already at the front of the line.

"Excuse me, but I really need to get in there like...right now." he pleaded.

The couple next to him glared a bit annoyed at his rude cut of the whole line. The podium pony didn't really think much too kindly of it either.

"I'm sorry, sir. But you're going to have to wait at the back of the line like everypony else."

Seeing as how that didn't work, Cryo decided to follow the tip left on his date's invitation.

"I was told to tell you that Octavia is expecting me."

That made the clerk’s head jerks back at Cryo with a surprised look.

"So YOU are Octavia's friend." he said. "My sincerest apologies, Mr. Cryo. You are right. Miss Octavia told me you were coming and is expecting you. Please go in."

The unicorn guard levitated the velvet rope out of Cryo's way allowing him access. Smiling, the white icy unicorn walked in and gasped as he viewed the inside the place.

If it wasn't a work of art from the outside, the interior of the place would have swayed anyone to think differently. There was a gorgeous chandelier above the front door and the rest of the place was decorated with smaller ones but just as pretty. Every table had a lit candle and a small bouquet with six or seven red roses. The inside balconies were just as if not a bit more fancier than the outside ones. To top it off, right there in the middle of the place was a large dance floor and a small stage for music to play from. For everypony in Canterlot, this place was just a high society restaurant. But on that night, for Cryo alone, it was heaven on Earth.

"And to think I believed the fanciest building in existence was the ice palace of the chief back home..." he muttered quietly to himself. "Now, where are ya?"

He looked left and right, up and down for Octavia. A big building like this left some challenge to find one individual pony, especially when most of them were moving around. That wasn't nearly enough to stop him. He found his date up on the second floor looking around not even noticing he was there yet. Slowly but surely, Cryo made his way up the staircase. The table was nearby. All he had to do was reach the top and the date was officially underway. One more deep breath is all he needed before he climbed those last few stairs.

"Cool and smooth. You got this, Cryo." He muttered to himself.

Standing tall, he reached the second floor and Octavia was quick to see him. She smiled and waved at him.

"Over here." she called.

Cryo smiled back and approached the table she was sitting at. When he took his seat they immediately did what anyone does on a first date. Open with humor.

"I half expected you to fly in on one of your flying ice roads." Octavia said with a smile.

"Nah, I only use those for when I want I really have to. Like say for example, saving somepony from falling on their head."

The cellist giggled and continued to smile at him after she stopped.

"I never got a chance to say thank you for that." her voice was a bit softer that time.

Cryo held up a hoof.

"It's nothing really. You don't have to thank me."

"Oh yes I do. Saving ones' life should be commended no matter how small the one saved may be. And that's exactly what I plan to do tonight. Order whatever you want."

There was already a menu placed in front of him. A cyan cloud appeared all around the laminated parchment and set itself upright in Cryo's field of vision. Most of the things on there he had no idea what they even were or if they were even edible. It was his Alamantian ways assisting with that. He hardly knew anything about Equestrian food other than the sweets knowledge he picked up from Sugarcube Corner.

A minute later, a stallion about Cryo's size levitating a notepad with unicorn magic walked over. He had a covered serving dish on his flank.

"Ah, good evening, Madam Octavia. I see we have company here tonight." the waiter gestured to Cryo.

"Yes we do, Silver Platter. Good evening to you as well." Octavia greeted.

"Thank you, ma'am. May I get you drinks to start you off?" he asked.

"Oh yes please. I'll have a glass of the house cabernet please."

"Of course. And you sir?" He turned to Cryo.

The stallion of ice turned the menu over and skimmed the available beverages. He hadn't heard of any of them and was willing to give them a shot.

"I'll have what she's having." He decided to start simple.

Silver Platter nodded and wrote it down on his little paper pad.

"And have you decided what you would like for your main course?"

Octavia again was the first to speak.

"Everything looks so delicious tonight. I think I may need an extra minute to make up my mind, Silver Platter."

"Of course, Madame." Silver Platter then looked to Cryo. "And you, sir?"

"Well...it all DOES look good like the lady said. But I have one question."

"And that would be?"

Cryo put down his menu and looked at his waiter with a smile.

"Does this place have any entrees that are meant to be served cold?"

Author's Note:

More to come in the next one! So stay tuned. Oh and a little announcement!

This story that you read right here right now, is being turned into a fully playable flash game. Of course the story will have to be completed. I will be taking part in it as head overseer of the project and I will be Voice Acting the role of Pyro. Most roles have already been filled but we do have some openings left. If you are interested at all then please contact me via skype or however you want to. (Skype name: autoknight01) We're going all out on this. Animation, voice work, music, we could use all the help we can get. So give me a holler and don't forget to follow their blog!

www.askthesixelementals.tumblr.com