• Published 17th Mar 2012
  • 15,670 Views, 285 Comments

Ponytics - Pickle



Twilight reads about Democracy and asks Celestia about it. The Princess is worried.

  • ...
20
 285
 15,670

Not This Again

Celestia sighed as she watched her student meticulously look over all her paperwork. Sheets of paper piled up around the room, all proofread at least twice by Twilight. Since finally spilling the beans to Twilight, Celestia had spent the last week lounging around her castle, waiting for the unicorn to complete all her preparations. Of course the elder alicorn had attempted multiple times to convince her student otherwise, but she was set on setting up this democratic system.

"And... finished!" Twilight floated the final paper down. She trotted over to the former Princess, who rested on her ironically king-sized bed. "Now Celestia, you are positive that the first step in this election is for ponies to nominate candidates?"

"Yes Twilight, I'm positive," the older mare replied, knowing this process like the back of her hoof.

"Great." Twilight poked her head out of the bedroom and whistled for the servants to come. Promptly, one worker cantered to the bedroom.

"Yes, Miss Sparkle?"

"I have completed preparations for the election. Please assemble a team of pegasi to deliver a letter to each major city and town in Equestria. The letter requests that the mayor holds a nomination for each member to decide on who is best suited to rule Equestria."

Yes, Miss Sparkle. Right away," the servant responded.

Twilight levitated a bag of letters to the servant and sent him off.

"Twilight, mind if I ask you a question?"

"Of course not," the unicorn said as she went back to reviewing paperwork.

"What is your plan if one of those letters doesn't get delivered?"

Twilight hesitated for a moment. "I trust that your workers will be able to get the job done." She smiled and went back to work.

"That's not what I asked Twilight..."

Twilight stopped and glanced at her teacher. "I-I guess I would send them another letter."

"Well what happens if a town disobeys your request?"

"Then they don't get to participate."

"But what if they get mad that they don't have a say?"

"Celestia, you aren't making any sense! Please, stop with the needless hypothetical questions. I've already taken the appropriate precautions, so let me work."

Needless hypothetical questions? Celestia thought to herself. That's what Luna thought too. The bright pony watched her student as she worked towards the impossible goal, or at least that's what it was in Celestia's perspective. She's so much like Luna... I only hope she won't suffer the same way.

~~~~~

For the next few months, Twilight Sparkle dedicated her time to organizing the rest of the election process. It seemed that every town contacted with a letter promptly returned the nomination results by the deadline that was specified in Twilight's letter. Twilight recruited workers to read through the lengthy nomination lists and create a list of all the ponies that had received a significant amount of votes. Another minor election would be held to decide which five ponies from that list would be able to be elected as ruler of Equestria, so everypony began to advertise themselves for votes. Eventually, Twilight successfully completed the minor election and Equestria was down to five candidates to be the ruler.

~~~~~

Celestia and Twilight waited in the grand hall. Celestia was planted in her former royal throne/overpriced chair and Twilight stood next to her. Twilight yawned. The long days and nights overseeing all the campaigning and keeping updated with all the news and informing the public of that news really took a toll on the fairly young unicorn.

One of Celestia's workers galloped into the room and announced, "Miss Sparkle, all the candidates have arrived."

"Thank you very much," Twilight replied. "Please show them in."

"Yes Miss Sparkle." The worked trotted back and around a corner.

A few moments later five ponies, who were all chatting, approached the room. Twilight thought they had sounded a bit familiar. And they should have, for once they entered the grand hall, Twilight was overcome with joy.

"Hey Twilight!" Pinkie Pie yelled out, the call resonating throughout the massive room. Twilight moved toward her five friends as each one of them gave their own greeting.

Hugging all her friends, Twilight said, "It's so good to see all of you! I've been so busy with the election that I've only been to Ponyville three times in the past five months."

Celestia, who remained in her chair, grinned softly as she watched her student express a sincere happiness. Twilight, I sent you to Ponyville to study friendship. I never would have guessed that I would be the reason that you would slack on those studies.

"Darling Twilight," Rarity began. "We know dear, that's why we were elated when we heard would be able to see you"

Twilight pulled away from the hug, realizing something. "Wait a minute. If you are all here, then does that mean you five are the candidates?"

Rainbow Dash was the first to laugh, but soon the other four joined in.

"Twilight, do you really think we're suited for ruling Equestria?" Rainbow Dash laughingly asked.

"Excuse me, Rainbow Dash, but I think that I would make a magnificent Princess!"

As Rarity posed as though she was royalty, Fluttershy giggled at her amusing claim. Rarity immediately glared back at the quiet pegasus.

With a tiny smile, Fluttershy squeaked out, "Sorry."

"Anyway," Rainbow Dash said, drifting back on topic. "We're here to support Applejack." With a small shove, Applejack was moved in front of the others with a small blush on her face."

"Wow. Congratulations Applejack!"

"Thanks Twilight. Ah'm still a bit surprised myself," the apple farmer modestly admitted.

Putting a reassuring hoof on her friend's should, Twilight stated, "Well I'm sure you will be a truly great candidate, Applejack, but just remember that I must remain impartial."

"Of course. I wouldn't expect anything different from ya, Twilight."

"Good. Now I need to kn--"

Twilight got silent as she saw a shadow approaching from around the corner. Her friends turned around to look at the arched door way too. Slowly the silhouette turned into a white-furred unicorn, with a mane like water washing over his body.

"Shining Armor!"Twilight sprinted over to her older brother as he entered the room and hugged him sweetly.

"Hey Twili! I've been looking forward to seeing you."

She let go of Shining Armor and confirmed, "You're a candidate?"

"Yeah. Being the Captain of the Equestrian Guard really helped me to get votes."

Even though Celestia was no longer Princess, many things did not change. Equestria still required the services that were preformed under Celestia's rule, so Twilight and Celestia just renamed the positions so that they did not have to do with Celestia being a princess.

Shining noticed Twilight's friends standing behind her and asked, "Are any of you candidates?"

Pinkie Pie, hopping up and down, cheered, "Applejack is! Applejack is!"

The masculine unicorn trotted over to Applejack and extended a hoof to her. "Well I would like to wish you the best of luck with your candidacy."

Applejack met his hoof with hers and replied, "Likewise. I'm happy to be running against a friendly face."

With all the camaraderie going on, no pony noticed that another pony had made his way into the room.

"Well isn't this just adorable?" the older stallion rhetorically asked as he entered. "It's good to see Equestria's youth taking initiative."

Twilight walked to the colt. "Good afternoon, Mr. Rich. I can safely assume that you are here for the candidates meeting?"

With a deep chuckle, the grayish-amber stallion said, "Please Twilight Sparkle, Mr. Rich was my father. You may call me Mr. Filthy Rich. And yes, I am here for the meeting."

"Alright. You are the third candidate to---"

The grand hall quieted as an unrecognizable shouting was heard from the outside walkway. The yelling grew closer.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie does not require your petty directions! She already knows where to go!"

Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy all gave a moan of frustration once they heard that voice. Celestia, still in her seat, Shining Armor, and Filthy Rich looked at the groaning ponies in confusion. Pinkie Pie, however, was guffawing almost like a maniac.

"Pinkie, do you not remember who Trixie is?" Rainbow Dash questioned.

"No, I remember. Why?"

"You're laughing."

"Oh! My bad. Wrong emotion." Pinkie Pie then let out an annoyed moan.

Everypony would have stared at Pinkie Pie with massive amounts of confusion, had the great and powerful shadow not been growing closer.

Twilight Sparkle closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Then she forced herself into a large, cheesy smile, not wanting to have any beef with Trixie. As soon as Trixie appeared in the doorway, she walked past the doorway, continuing down the corridor.

"Uh..." Twilight didn't know how to react.

Twilight poked her head around the corner and called out, "Excuse me."

The showpony turned around, caught off guard by Twilight's call. "Yes?"

"Are you here for the candidates meeting?"

"What else would Trixie be here for?" The mare snobbishly asked.

"Yes, well the meeting will take place in here."

"T-Trixie knew that! She was just going to... admire this beautiful piece of art!" Trixie motioned to a portrait that hung on the wall by her.

"Okay..."

"Trixie will join you now." Trixie strolled in the room with her head held high. No pony was too eager to great the magician.

"It's good to see you again Trixie," Twilight politely said using the best of her acting abilities.

"Well of course it is! It is always an amazement to see The Great and Powerful Trixie!"

As always, Rainbow Dash was the first to speak up. "Amazement? Do you call getting you flank handed to you by---"

Twilight wasted no time to silence her friend. With a hoof over her friend's mouth, Twilight whispered, "Please don't say anything to Trixie, Rainbow Dash. I know she can be a pain, but I don't think she remembers us, so let's leave it that way."

Twilight removed her hoof off her friend's mouth.

"But---"

"Please Rainbow Dash!"

"Fine..." The pegasus stepped back to her crowd of friends, scowling.

"That's right. Do not even try to mess with The Great and Powerful Trixie!"

Rainbow Dash groaned.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Now Trixie, you are the fourth candidate to arrive. The fifth one should be here any moment now."

"Trixie doesn't know why we are even holding this silly election. Everypony in Equestria knows that The Great and Powerful Trixie is the only suitable candidate for ruler of Equestria."

Everypony in the room each gave Trixie their own look of scorn. Rainbow Dash bit down on her lower lip to keep herself from speaking up.

Twilight was the only one still able to keep a fake smile and awkwardly chuckle to break the silence.

"I think I here the final candidate coming," Twilight announced in order to draw everyponies attention away from hating Trixie.

All eyes in the room gazed at the doorway as the final candidate approached. Finally, to complete the roll call, around the corner walked...

TO BE CONTINUED...


































































RIGHT NOW!

Around the corner walked one of Celestia's workers. Confusion swept throughout the room as no pony saw this coming.

"Uh, are you a candidate?"

"No Miss Sparkle, but I am here to tell you who it is."

"Why couldn't they come themselves?"

"Miss Sparkle, they are already here."

"They are? But only four have arrived."

"Miss Sparkle, Celestia is one of the candidates."

Pinkie Pie gasped loudly, but then looked around at everypony else. "Was I the only pony who was surprised?"

Fluttershy murmured, "No Pinkie, but if you think about it, it makes sense that Celestia be a candidate. She has already ruled Equestria before."

"Oh yeah," Pinkie giggled.

With wide eyes, Twilight asked, "C-Celestia?"

Hearing her own name, the glorious white alicorn rose from her seat to join the crowd.

Twilight thought about this for a moment and considered that there would be no harm in allowing Celestia to run. It would at least be fair. Twilight looked at the guard and ordered, "Will you please show my friends to the lounging area?"

"Yes, Miss Sparkle."

"Wait, why can't we stay?" Rainbow Dash queried.

"We need to keep these affairs on the down low, so please just wait. This meeting shouldn't take too long."

Her four friends all agreed and followed the worker out of the room without anymore hesitation.

"Alright. Now that all five of you are here, we can begin our meeting."

Comments ( 58 )

noo Twilight this will ruin The country noo :pinkiegasp::facehoof::pinkiesad2:

917368
Du-oy. I saw this in the feature box, and was all liek: "Holy shiet! No way that got updated!"
Den I clicked da link.
Den I saw new chapter.
Den I posted comment.

"TO BE CONTINUED"
*readies Testicle Punch*
"RGHT NOW"
*lowers arm*

985062 I'm sorry it took me so long to update! :raritycry: Trust me, I wanted to update, but the fic just didn't seem to go anywhere! But then I found out where it should go and it was hard to make it interesting, but I promise to make the next chapter in the next 4 days and awesome! :rainbowdetermined2: + :pinkiehappy: + :scootangel:

985075 :rainbowlaugh: That face of Rainbow Dash expresses my emotion perfectly! I legitimately laughed out loud!

FUN FACT: 1 out of every 100 times somebody writes "LOL" they actually laughed out loud. :derpytongue2:

985076 @:rainbowdetermined2:+:pinkiehappy:+:scootangel:
:pinkiegasp: - I call 'em combos!

:yay: Awesome! :yay:

And, from what this guy says: 985075
...You stole from the Simpson's Movie :twilightblush: (assuming they didn't steal from anyone else :facehoof:)

Ima get busy rereading the whole thing.

I, for one, welcome our new great and powerful overlord.


Of course logically all Celestia needs to do is run under the platform of 'Vote for me or I won't raise the sun anymore.' But that's the kind of sense that would ruin this story before it gets fun. :pinkiehappy:

It's returned. No freakin' way.

985151 Yeah sorry for the wait... :ajsleepy:

Oh my lord. I thought this was a one-shot
YES!

D48

That was amusing, although I am surprised Luna and Twilight did not make it.

Oh Twilight... Democracy sucks.

"I promise to get the next chapter out in the next 2-3 days if you guys vote for me!"
Not cool. :pinkiesick: Hollow bribes and self-advertising for something entirely unrelated. :facehoof:

:trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright:
Twilight should've ordered Trixie to leave immediately. It'd be a unanimous decision anyway.

985304 What do you mean?

985321 No, you're right. This chapter was a little more... normal than I would have preferred, but it was necessary. Trust me, the next chapter will be a lot funnier.

That cliffhanger...:rainbowlaugh:

Well trolled, very well trolled indeed. :trollestia:

Curse you democracy. At least when you have kings and queens it seems more awesome when they parachute their way down to the Olympics.

Make the fifth candidate a communist! Fun! Danger! Exitement! Red stuff!

On second thought, Celestia could use that to pull a counterrevolution, like Stalin or something. Soo... no commies, I guess.

985447 You did read the fic right? I already named the fifth candidate... :rainbowlaugh:

Yeah cuz parachuting into the elections with james bond will totally rack up your votes.. Unless if you wings and can already fly. Because then it'd just be a total waste of time. Kind of like when an old lady expects everyone to believe she REALLY jumped out of a helicopter... Entirely hypothetical of course.

I quote myself with these exact words that I yelled out mid story, "AHHHHHHH YOU FUCKER!!!!"

I yelled this once i read the "TO BE CONTINUED..."

Then started scrolling down and was like dam right this better continue now.

985468 LOLed in real life! :rainbowlaugh:

No Luna? :sad:

I can't begin to understand Twilight's motivations in this story. At all. In fact, I think I actually hate her in this story because it seems the only reason she's doing this is to willfully betray and make low her mentor and mother figure, for seemingly no reason. I can't imagine that a smart pony like her would actually think it would be a good idea to topple a standing system of government with a wise and benevolent ruler that has maintained a state of nigh-utopia for well over a THOUSAND YEARS and put democracy of all things in its place. Democracy is inherently flawed and corrupts very quickly and severely, as we are seeing quite clearly in America these days, and will inevitably end up putting people in charge with agendas to push rather than the betterment of their people in mind.

And even if Twilight is such a blind idealist that she thinks this will work (and believe me, when I call somebody a 'blind idealist,' that's saying something), she's also apparently stupid enough to put everypony IN THE WORLD at risk of falling under the thumb of a tyrannical despot with a silver tongue, and heartless enough to dethrone somepony she's known and supposedly loved her whole life to do it? Has she never heard the term 'don't fix what isn't broke?' Has she no empathy whatsoever?

Hell, I'm actually even MORE surprised that the citezens of Equestria are going along with it. I'm surprised that they even managed to get four candidates other than Celestia. I would hope that most of the general populace would want the ruler that, you know... they know for a fact is on their side, wise, and has worked for well over a thousand years. But so many ponies are obviously behind this... frankly I'm surprised a civil war hasn't broken out

...Are we SURE that this is Twilight we're dealing with and not Chrysalis or something? And that Chrysalis doesn't have a TON of changeling agents in all the various towns? Because that's the only way I can rationalize her behavior.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to overreact or anything, but I thought this fic was DONE. :applejackconfused: I thought that it finished with chapter two. I mean, yeah it was kinda an odd place to leave off, but I sorta figured that it was left up to the reader what Celestia would tell twilight and what would proceed. It was funny when it was just that first chapter and Twilight was just overeager at discovering a whole new system of government. I felt the second chapter was unnecessary but it was kinda funny to see Celestia, the ever composed ruler, getting so flustered at what was going on. But now... I can't help but actually feel a little disgusted... Everybody is gripping the idiot ball as hard as they can in the story and everybody is so out of character in perhaps some of the most hurtful ways I think I've ever seen in a ponyfic.

I'm sure I must be overreacting. I know this is meant to be a comedy, but... what in the world is wrong with everypony here?!

Eugh. I'd like to apologize for that last comment. I've been having a hard couple of weeks. Normally I'm much better than that. I don't know what's been coming over me lately. Really sorry about that. :twilightsheepish:

985546 Alright, some good points made, but I explained motivs in the first chapter. Twilight pretty much says i respect you Twilight, but I don't think it's right for you to hold power without any other consent. Now yes, it is a flawed concept for the fact that Celestia can raise the sun and everything, but I explain that later. Your argument that democracy causes corruption, like in America, doesn't hold ground in fic for the reason that they don't know about the corruption except Celectia, but Twilight believes she can prevent that. Twilight believes that democracy is ponies choosing who rules. And since when is Equestia the world? LOL I thought it was like... a country or something. But I digress. I'm happy that my fic made someone so distressed that it caused them to write out all its flaws. Thank you so much. :twilightsmile: I hope you will indulge me and continue to read my fic. And ponies aren't OOC that much in this fic.

So we've got:
>Robert Mugabe as Celestia. They are both using democracy (I suspect Celestia asked those questions about the process so she could rig the votes) to perpetuate their rule.:trollestia:
>Mitt Romney as Filthy Rich. 'Nuff said.
>John Kerry (or pretty much any politician with military experience, but I like using John Kerry for some reason) as Shining Armor. Both are generic "war heroes".
>Generic feel-good-character-who-enters-politics as Applejack. Again, I believe I've said enough. :ajsleepy:
>Generic douchebag as Trixie. Seriously, I want to drive a fucking knife through the bottom of her jaw and into her concieted brain.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You evil bastard:rainbowlaugh:. I actually thought it finished but then i kept on scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and then I got bored and went to the bathroom and started jerking off but then I wondered what "it" tastes like so I liked my hand and it tasted horrible and then I went put of teh bathroom and fell down a hole and died.



...



Too much information?




Fuck.

985616

Well, okay, that's all fine and dandy. The idea that 'nobody should hold power without consent.' It's a nice thought but here's the thing. Is anypony in Equestria really all that unhappy? Are there cries for Celestia's removal? Are there citizens actively pushing to get other ponies in power in Equestria that Celestia is keeping down? Are there laws in Equestria that Celestia has put into effect that ponies are rallying against? From everything we've ever seen in the show... No. There aren't. And from the simple way things work in the society we've seen of Equestria, in places like Appaloosa, Canterlot, Dodge Junction, and Manehattan, it wouldn't make sense for that to be the case. Especially if, as you said, the ponies in this story don't even KNOW corruption.
So it seems everypony is pretty consensual in the first place and Twilight is just willfully stirring up a beehive because they haven't stuck a little paper ballot in the slot. That doesn't seem very 'respectful' at all. In fact, it feels like downright spite, contempt, and betrayal.

And even if she is worried that it isn't right for a person to rule without the consent of others, and she thinks that the only reason Celestia is in power at all is because other ponies have never heard of and cannot conceive of another way that things could work, why does she bring it up at all? Can she not simply look around and see that things are working pretty okay and that everypony is at least mostly content? And that if this is the case, perhaps it would be best to dispose of the the idea that 'nobody should hold power without consent' and just accept it as a necessary evil if Celestia remains in power and things continue to work along so nigh-perfectly? She's basically doing the whole world (or country if this be your interpretation) a huge disservice, therefore, to shake things up in this way, all based on an idea that can only be described as an 'absolutely ginormous risk with all the cards stacked against her.'

This is why, in this story, Twilight can only come across as either terribly stupid, or downright evil.

And no, the democracy wouldn't cause corruption IMMEDIATELY. I'm talking about a couple hundred years down the line as ponies with a lot of ambition, a lot of greed, and very little empathy start thinking 'hey, if anybody can be in power, then I can too!' and from that point, silver tongued politicians with agendas to push end up getting in power, and they end up only bettering themselves, and to hide it, they keep secrets, tell lies, cover things up, and put laws in place to make sure they are protected and the cycle continues. And from there, it just becomes impossible to root out.

And even though the corruption won't be immediate, since the candidates are ponies that are not as smart and far less wise and experienced than Celestia I can only see a lot of blunders being made. Honest mistakes in the managing of a country, of course. They won't mean any harm by it, but ponies will be worse off as a result.

And if Twilight believes she can prevent all of this, then she either means to put herself into power alongside the new leader and manage everything, which makes her nothing more than a treacherous, usurping vizier basically... or she's holding onto the idiot ball so hard that she's actually managed to graft it into her skin.

And that's just Twilight. Why is Applejack there? Didn't she find her 'true purpose' was to manage Sweet Apple Acres and care for her family in 'Cutie Mark Chronicles?' Didn't she decide she didn't like the frou frouey high society lifestyle? Why is she going along with this? This is incredibly out of character for her.
And Trixie? Why would anypony ever even nominate her? She's been exposed as a fraud and has been proven to have very little magical talent behind stage performances. And don't people realize that with her self-centric attitude, she'd probably run the country into the ground?
And Shining Armor? By being Captain of the guard doesn't that suggest that he should be incredibly loyal and faithful to Celestia? Wouldn't he be more interested in letting Celestia keep her position rather than take it away from her?
I'm sorry, but the only pony in character here is Filthy Rich. Nopony else in the whole story makes any sense.

Look, I'm truly sorry for being so vehement in the first post. I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible right now, but you have to believe me... this story makes absolutely no sense.
There's no way that the setup you have here can make any sense and still remain true to the characters involved without what I said in the last comment... that Twilight is actually Chrysalis and there are a bunch of changelings in every town in the country replacing ponies and tilting the populace in the favor of democracy. Changelings would probably have had to replace Shining Armor and Applejack as well for it to work. That's the ONLY way I can see this setup working.

And actually, if it DID turn out that this was all a plot by Chrysalis to take control again, that would actually be a pretty brilliant story. But somehow, I don't think that's the case here.

I'm not trying to insult you or bring you down or anything, but... I'm sorry... this just doesn't make any sense.

REALLY GOOD! But not as funny as the last two chapters in my opinion. I understand cause politics, though I'm very interested in them, are not that fun. But your doing a GREAT job at making them funny so far, so I'm definitely waiting for your next chapters, for I feel they have potential to be hilarious! Especially when they give their speeches... mostly Trixies XD!

985546
This. So much this.
985744
I think I'd have to go with Twilight becoming one with the idiot ball, though she is being pretty bold about it, dare I say even a bit of a smartass. But at the same time, maybe you're analyzing this a bit too hard? :twilightsheepish:
Keep in mind that this is a comedy. Sure, nopony in the right mind would elect Trixie of all ponies to lead their country, but the fact is she's been elected, no changing that now. The focus isn't on how they got here, it's the hell of a ruckus they're going to make.

On a side note, it really seems like Celestia's dug herself into a hole with the '24/7 Gentle Ruler' thing. Now she cant express personal opinions or tell her own student to step off her game without somepony somewhere ending up seriously offended. :facehoof:

985866

It's not that I don't get that it's a comedy. I understand that it's just supposed to be for laughs. And like I said, in the first and second chapters, it WAS funny. But now that it's picked up again and has started to evolve into a more complex story with multiple characters, the vast amounts of stupidity and out of character actions on display is only getting in the way of the humor, and actually makes it annoying... or even disgusting.

Basically the vast amount of nonsensical, stupid, and/or deplorable behavior in the story is making it not funny anymore. It's basically making it so that the joke no longer makes sense. It no longer feels like a joke.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Comedy is really hard to explain, so i hope I'm getting the point across.

985744 Tl;dr. I read the first and second sentence of each paragraph. So... It makes sense. Give it time broski! THE END! :eeyup:

985850 OMFG! You can't believe how much I am looking forward to doing the freaking speeches and debates! :pinkiehappy:

985921 Oh my god dude! Your adjectives make me laugh because I can only here a stuffy British dude using the word deplorable. To me, that's freaking hilarious. But yeah, give it time dude.

I'm looking forward to nonsense debates and pointless speeches too. Maybe those will make Twilight suspicious of the whole concept?
For humans democracy is the best setup because all others suck even harder and it (supposedly) protects us from the power of stupids (yeah, right).
If this had been anything else but a comedy the first logical step would have been a "Are you ok with Equstria's government as it is? [ ] YES [ ] NO". This is Twilight jumping to conclusions and reveling in her joy for bureaucratic procedures.:twilightblush:
I wonder what Luna thinks abut this? If she tried democracy 1000 years ago and got a beautiful, unobstructable view of earth out of it, she might be just little bit miffed that Twilight got her way so easily.

Oh! My bad. Wrong emotion.:pinkiehappy:
I can totally see that happening.

So Celestia is employing strawmare tactics instead?

I like how you're trying to make a comedy out of this whole "Do we change governments or are the old ways best" but I do have some beef with the story. I never liked the idea of Celestia acting like a tyrant (erasing memories, imprisoning political opponents, suppressing new ideas) because that goes against the personality we have seen in the show: a kind and gentle individual. Unfortunately we have not seen a politically based episode so we don't really know how she would react if new ideas of rule were to take hold. Additionally we don't even know if they have a parliament for passing laws like most monarchies have possessed in some form or another. That would require a form of electoral process for picking representatives.

Also I never agreed with this notion that Equestria is some sort of shining utopia. This is because it certainly has its fair share of problems like when Ponyville was almost late for spring because nopony could agree on priorities or exactly how to wrap up winter. At least in my head canon, Equestria is simply a peaceful and prosperous land. Otherwise, why would they even need some sort of government?

tl:dr It's premature to say what the political process of Equestria is like because of the lack of canon material and honestly a true utopia is one with no government, which is not possible at least in our world.

It's not the fic, but the comments that make this interesting. I'm quite surprised about almost everyone dismissing democracy here.

I agree with IridiumHoof. Equestria is not a utopia. It's a pretty good country by human standards, but still no utopia. Ponies face the same everyday problems as we do.
Celestia's eternal rule is not justified. Unless she is all-knowing, and morally flaweless (ergo she is the literal GOD), she is a tyrant. No matter how hard she tries, someday she will make a bad decision and act against her own subjects. And who knows, maybe nopony will be able to convince her that what she's doing is wrong?
"The only constant is change." This is a general law the applies not only to our civilization, but to every civilization in particular. The "loss of change" in any civilization will lead to its downfall. Celestia is immortal; she denies the natural order of life and death which keeps the change constant. The older she gets, the more conservative her views will become, until she loses her very ability to change. Not very promising from somepony who leads a country, right?

"Yeah, yeah", you may say, "but she's ruling Equestria for 1000+ years now, and everything turned out fine." You automatically assume that she is the political head of Equestria, but can you prove it? Surely, they always show her as the ultimate authority, but then again: the return of Nightmare Moon was not a political issue. The return of Discord was not a political issue. The changeling invasion was not a political issue. All three were national security issues. And that's what Celestia's doing in my opinion. She is the protector of Equestria, but not the ruler of Equestria. (side note: She's even running a school! Could a busy politican possibly have time for this?) Her authority is limited to ensure that she won't have military (and by military, I mean her own abilities) and political power at the same time. Without the seperation of powers, you can't possibly hope to create a working form of state. And no, if Celestia is anything like a a living being, she shouldn't be an exception either.

And finally, this "democracy is bad, only Celestia should be allowed to rule" thing is very... degrading. "No, my stupid little ponies, you must not be allowed to control your own future, because you will certainly ruin it. For your own sake, I will take care of you, whether you like it or not."

The whole it won't work because Celestia raises the sun isn't really an issue. You don't have to be a Unicorn with Wings to raise the sun. The Unicorn Tribe had been doing it long before the Winged Unicorns became princesses.

@ALIS
There are so many plot hole in that I think the entire Hearth's Warming Eve thing was something made up by Celestia.

There is plenty of Disharmony in Equestria still. Where did the Windigoes go when Discord came back? Place should have been filled with Snow! When was Celestia introduced in the picture and why would the Unicorns give up such a power to one person? It was there only card over the Pegasi and Earth Ponies. Other questions remain which all point to one thing...CONSPIRACY!!! :pinkiegasp:

And to be honest all of the Canterlot population witnissed Celestia fall to Chrysalis. I think some of them would feel like Celestia is getting old and can no longer take care of them and thus no longer fit to rule the nation. Or maybe Kerpern is right and she is just the defender. Not the actual or full on ruler. Politics has never been really explained in MLP:FiM

But! Anyways epic fic and can't wait for next chapter! Gratz to! You've been able to make a fic that sparked a discussion on Equestrian politics!

*Barges through door* "STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 THIS MEETING WILL HAVE DIRE CONSEQUENCES IN THE FUTURE! STOP NOW BEFORE I HAVE TO KILL YOU GUYS!"

986858
You know, you are right about that, but it's possible the suppression of ideas is less motivated by a tyranical need to keep power and more by a (not entirely unfounded) fear that without her guidance, Equestria will fall. Oh, and I'm starting to think that Twi's main motivation for the whole democratic process is really that she's a bureaucrat deep down and keeping a checklist of her own life just isn't enough paperwork.:twilightsmile:

celestias policies: vote for me or ill banish you to the moon:trollestia:

Oh lawdie this is gonna be...speacial ><:trollestia:

Login or register to comment