• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 18,682 Views, 331 Comments

I'm Not a Mare - Redbook



Shining Armor and Flash Sentry are about to learn a lesson about being mares that they will never forget.

  • ...
110
 331
 18,682

Black Coffee

Shining Armor could not bring herself to look away from the mirror. What looked back was not the same that looked back any other time. Before was a tall good looking stallion with a short and messy two tone blue mane and a set of baby blue eyes. Now a white mare with a slightly longer two tone blue mane and the same set of baby blue eyes. She looked back over at the bed where Flash was and let out a sigh.

“What I am going to do? Think Shining. What did your training teach you?” She closed her eyes and tried to think of what needed to be done. There wasn’t a section on waking up as the opposite gender in the field guide, but there was a little section on if you are in any situation with unknown variables. And it said to get intel before you plan your next move.

Today was their last day before she or Flash needed to report back to duty. So while Flash was out cold for awhile, Shining would head out and get some food for them to eat and maybe see what she can learn what has happened to them. But before she could leave, a shower was needed. Even if she was now a mare, she still smelled like a brewery from last night’s events.

It would seem her and Flash weren’t the only things that had changed overnight. The bathroom had changed as well. It wasn’t the light blue she remembered it to be, but it was a light pink and there were a few more items Shining was not familiar with. She pushed all that to the side in her mind and started to get the shower ready. Then a few gears in her head started to turn and she came to a halt. She had only been with a mare a long time ago, and she just kissed her.

Thirty minutes later, Shining walked out of the bathroom with a faint blush that still glowed. That was the fastest shower any mare has ever taken. She looked at the bed and Flash had made herself comfortable and had started to snore loudly. A purple magical glow came over the covers and moved to cover the sleeping mare. Flash mumbled something that sounded like a thank you.

It wasn’t till she made it near the stairs that she met any pony. It just so happened that this pony was Princesses Celestia. She gave her usual warm smile and walked next to Shining.

“Good morning, Gleaming Shield. I hope you slept well last night. From what I have heard, you and your unit had a good amount of fun at the pubs.” Celestia’s voice was cheerful. Shining looked back down the hill she came from to see the new pony that the princess was talking, but she found that there were no other ponies in the hallway.

“Oh, well you know how ponies can get after a few.” The smaller mare stayed in step with the taller as they made their way down to the ground level. Celestia let out a chuckle and nodded her head.

“I know very well. Let’s just say, not many ponies were sober after Luna and I became princesses,” Celestia looked away for a second with a dreamy look in her eyes. Gleaming coughed and Celestia looked back with a slight blush under her white coat. Once they made it to the ground level, Celestia started to make her way to the throne room. “Oh, before I forget. You might want to pick Twinkle Scout a black coffee. Trust me, she may not like it at first. But it will help with most of the hangover.”

With that Gleaming was left standing there trying to wrap her mind on what had just happened. “Did I just get advice on dealing with a hangover from the Princess of Equestria?” She didn’t feel wasted anymore and started to make her way to get something to eat and drink for her and Twinkle. Then it hit her. “My name is Gleaming Shield!? What kind of name is that?”

A bunch of ponies stopped and looked at her little outburst. Gleaming felt the blood rush to her cheeks. She mumbled an apology and rushed out of the castle to a nearby cafe that was a hit with soldiers. The cafe was just a little hole in the wall place near the castle.

“Morning, Gleaming. The usual?” The mare behind the counter gave her a smile as Gleaming just gave a slow nod. She had no clue if her usual as a mare was the same as it was when she was a stallion. The mare turned around and started to fill the order, and it wasn’t long before there were two little bags and two coffee cups. “I put something together for Twinkle. I heared that you and her did a little extra last night.”

“Thank you, Muffin. I’m sure she will be glad to have something good from your cafe.” Gleaming thanked her and placed the bits on the counter before she turned around to head back and see if Twinkle was awake yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gleaming walked into the room to find the bed was empty and heard the shower in the background. A voice could be heard singing from the bathroom. She placed the food and drink on a little table before she moved close to the bathroom to better listen to the singing. It had been the most beautiful voice she ever heard.

After a few minutes the door opened and Twinkle walked out with a towel wrapped around her main. She looked over to see Gleaming on the floor with her eyes closed. “Shining, how long have you been listening?” A blush started to form on Twinkle’s cheek.

“Long enough to know that you have a really beautiful voice, but come on and let’s go enjoy our drinks before they get cold.” Gleaming jumped up and lead Twinkle to the place where she left the food and drinks. Once they both got seated, they opened the bags to find blueberry muffins in each. Gleaming almost fell out of her seat at the sight of Twinkle’s face once she took a drink of coffee.

“Oh that was bad. Why did you get me black coffee for?” Twinkle grabbed her muffin and started take large bites to try to rid her mouth of the bitter taste of the coffee. Gleaming just tried get back in her seat while she held her sides.

“Celestia told me that black coffee would help with a hangover and Muffin said the same thing. Oh, before I forget. I found out we have new names as mares.” She took a drink of her hot cocoa. It seem that her stallion and mare self both enjoy hot cocoa. Twinkle dropped the muffin on the table and was halfway across the table.

“It seems that my name is Gleaming Shield,” Gleaming took another drink before she let Twinkle know her new name. “And you they call, Twinkle Scout.” Twinkle sat back down and had a look of confusion on her face. Then she busted out laughing.

“What kind of name is Twinkle Scout? Flare Warden sounds better,” Both mares looked at each other before they both started to laugh. Once both of them caught their breath, Twinkle was the first one to talk. “So did the Princess of Equestria really tell you that black coffee would help with a hangover?”

“I was as shocked as you are about it. I didn’t think she was ever a party mare.” The muffin near Gleaming rose and she took a bite out of it and sighed happily. Muffin knew her way around the kitchen. Twinkle took another drink and tried not to make another face, but she didn’t do a very good job at it.

“Blah, I think she may have missed the mark on this one. The only thing it’s doing is making me miss the hangover,” Both mares bursted out laughing and enjoyed the rest of the muffins. After they finished their muffins and drinks. Something dawned on Twinkle. “What are we going to do now? We have to report in tomorrow.” Gleaming dropped her muffin and facehoofed hard enough where Twinkle thought she felt it. The white mare just said one thing.

“Buck me.”

Author's Note:

I want to thank Izanagi for helping me edit this chapter.

I want to thank SirRage for the name Flare Warden that they used in their story Teatime on Hearts And Hooves Day. You really should check out their work.