• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 724 Views, 16 Comments

Interview with an Unexpected Mage - musicluvr1974



One month after the events of "The Audience," two Ponyville colts decide to flout the rules and try alcohol for the first time. However, no one warned them that often, who you meet in a bar is more dangerous than what you drink there...

  • ...
9
 16
 724

Prologue, Part 2: Confrontation

"Sheriff!" Twilight called out, leading her friends hurriedly to where Silver Star and Braeburn stood waiting for them on the raised platform that formed the porch of Appleloosa's town hall. "How could there be a draconequus here? Once Arthur won the contest, he promised no other ones of them would be allowed to interfere with Equestria." (1)

"That's just it, yer Highness," responded Silver Star, bowing. "We ain't even sure this critter is one o' Discord an' Arcturus' kin. Everypony just assumed that's what he was when Cross an' his brother screamed. Thanks to the press of the crowd an' all the riotin', nopony's been able to git near the Salt Lick to find out! Ah--greetin's, Sir Spike, yer Ladyships," he said, nodding respectfully to the dragon and the rest of the Bearers. "I'm hopin' y'all can help with a little crowd control first, before we can git t' th'bottom o' this."

"We'd be happy to, Sheriff. A-ahem. ATTENTION, CITIZENS OF APPLELOOSA!" Twilight bellowed in the Royal Canterlot Voice, (2) "We're the Elements of Harmony, and we're here to help resolve this crisis. So, if everypony would evacuate the streets in good order and let us through to where this all started, we'd appreciate it. Thank you!" Her friends would have noticed the gathered ponies gaping in astonishment at this new evidence of Twilight growing used to alicornhood, but there wasn't time. They had a potential threat to investigate.

They walked down the rapidly clearing streets to the doors of the Salt Lick Saloon, which had been torn partway off their hinges by the stampeding crowd earlier. Peering inside, they saw the apparent cause of all the trouble: a human stallion as tall as Princess Luna, with sparkling blue eyes--and a coruscating glow around his left hand to match! Twilight's eyes widened, but before she could speak, the stranger beat her to it.

"Ah, greetings, Princess Sparkle. Brought your friends along, have you? I don't blame you; in situations like the one that just happened here, it's always good to have someone along to watch your back." He smiled. "Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Jason Clavoli, and I've come here specifically to discuss something with you, your Highness. If we could--" at this point, he was interrupted by Rainbow Dash flying straight at him at a great rate of speed.

"Shut up! Just who the hay do you think you are, threatening peaceful ponies this way?! How dare you?!" She whirled in midair to face Twilight and the rest of the Bearers. "Let's show this creep he can't mess with Equestrians this way!" The mare backed up to get a flying start that most likely would have resulted in Clavoli nursing bloody facial features if she'd been able to connect, but found herself ricocheting off a glowing blue shield Clavoli had suddenly erected. “Hey! What gives?!” Rainbow cried, righting herself in mid-tumble. “We're alicorns now. How in the world did you do that?!!”

“Look,” the human said. “I admit my entry method and—uh--attention-getting-device might have been a bit, shall we say, 'startling'”--he glanced sheepishly out the window of the bar at the formerly panicked, still angry and tense, crowd--”but I assure you, my intent in coming here is not to cause harm to anyone.”

Rainbow rudely blew Clavoli a raspberry. “Pfft! Yeah, right! Causing harm and chaos is all you draconequuses ever do! It's what you live for. You think we're gonna believe you after this?!”

“Wait a minute—draconequus? Is that what you think I am?” Clavoli flinched in astonishment. “I would never hurt sapient beings without provocation! And where do you get the idea I'm related to Discord and his bunch anyway?”

Fluttershy spoke up. “It has been only a month since Arthur won the contest... didn't you get here through the Mirror?”

“The Mirror? You mean that portal Princess Celestia had? No, I didn't. I asked Arthur for permission to come here once he'd won,” Clavoli responded.
“And as for you being a draconequus,” Rarity said, “well, what other magic-using bipeds are there on Equus?”

The ponies could see comprehension dawn on the human's face. “Oh. Well, I can see where you might jump to that conclusion, but that's partially what I came to talk to you about, Princess Twilight. I'm sure you must be wondering about...this,” Clavoli gestured with his glowing hand, “since I believe, from what Arthur told me, that he mentioned to you humans can't use magic... correct?” Twilight nodded, a fascinated expression crossing her muzzle. “Well, there are a few things about Terra even he didn't realize...! Perhaps we could move this talk to a more comfortable location—say, the Books and Branches Palace in Ponyville? Once we settle in there, I can give you a start on some answers.” He smiled and stood, dismissing his shield with a wave of his hand, and followed the mares out of the building.

"I still say he's gotta be some kind of spy," Rainbow hissed to the others under her breath as they left the saloon. "How else would he know all this stuff about us--about you, Twilight?" The other ponies either took note of or ignored the speedster's suspicions as was their wont, as the group left the saloon and trotted back up the street to where Sheriff Silver Star and Braeburn stood waiting.

Author's Note:

1) A presumption, I admit, but a logical one, given the direction The Audience is going at this point...(Edit: No spoilers intended, by the way. :twilightblush: )

2) She's been an alicorn for this long; I figured it was time she started growing into the cooler aspects of her inheritance. Heh. :coolphoto:

Well, that's it for the prologue! Comment, like, dislike, do whatever--but if you do give me a thumbs-down, I'd appreciate a comment explaining why. Can't improve without feedback, after all! :pinkiesmile:

See you next chapter!