• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 26,907 Views, 1,295 Comments

Learning ABCs - Adorable, Bothersome, Chaotic - Isopod



Twilight unwillingly starts seeing something more that just chaos in a certain Draconequus.

  • ...
39
 1,295
 26,907

9) Honesty in a Glass of Punch

Sleeping and waking up at a random time, as well as in a random place, became a regularity for Twilight Sparkle since the chaotic Spirit moved in with her. Catching up with her studies wasn't that hard for the smartest student of Celestia but she barely had anytime to just sit and clear her head - be it having a game night with Spike, whom with she suddenly started to spend a lot more time playing instead of studying, hanging out with her friends, whom she didn't see as much as before or, of course, trying to entertain and teach the hyper and often bored Spirit of Ponyville ways, it was hard to balance so much fun with all the studying she had to do.

So she was quite happy once she caught up with all of her studies and found some free time to go to Pinkie Pie's party - she had already missed out twice thanks to her filled schedule but nothing was going to stop her from having a wild party in the Sugar Cube Corner today!

"Is that a party invitation?"

Well, almost nothing.

Twilight bit her lip. No matter how hard she wanted to bring the always party-hardy ready Spirit to hang out with her friends, she had a bad feeling it wouldn't go well. Now that she thought about it though, it was weird Pinkie Pie didn't specifically invited them both. Perhaps she had the letters ready weeks in advance?

"Um, yeah~ Pinkie Pie has invited me and Spike to--"

"Who else but Pinkie Pie, my dear!" Her distinct accent on the words 'me and Spike' didn't stop Spirit from performing a joyous loop in the air. "Oooh, I can't wait to see her, I have the most entertaining party prank prepared!"

"Eh-he-he... yeah..."

"...I am invited, right?"

Twilight finally looked at Spirit's red, mismatched and way too expectant eyes for her to refuse. Besides, they were officially friends now. Perhaps he'll know he has to behave... a bit, at least.

"Well, of course! Where I go, you go! If you wish, that is." She gave a slightly embarrassed grin.

"Brilliant!"

A short silence fell between them; Discord lying on the window sill and sunbathing, while Twilight was looking through her closet, suddenly slightly anxious and looking for a cool accessory or a cute dress she might wear - she hadn't dressed up since forever - when Discord suddenly asked:

"What do ponies do on parties?"

Twilight looked over at the Spirit, who seemed slightly lost in thoughts. "You haven't been on a party for quite long, have you?"

"Well, technically, never." Discord admitted. "Sure, I would prepare parties of a more chaotic nature but those were mostly big parties for the whole cities - and usually I was the only one enjoying them." He snickered a bit evilly.

Twilight couldn't decide between a frown and a smile. "A party of one isn't a party."

"It is not my fault nopony enjoyed." Discord pouted. Twilight rolled her eyes.

"What you thought of as a party, other ponies saw as a threat, you know."

"But they were so much fun! I mean come on, wasn't my last party brilliant? You were there, after all." He teased, making the unicorn frown.

"I don't know just how is turning houses upside down fun."

"Mostly because it is unseen sight, don't you think?" Discord asked. Twilight thought his answer through.

"Hmm, while I believe I do get your point, you being the Spirit of Chaos and everything, you weren't the one living in those homes, so you can probably never understand how scary can that be."

"Scary? It was scary?"

"... yeah?" Twilight looked at the surprised Spirit again. "Just imagine something you really love and cherish being completely twisted and used in such a sort of manner that makes you, personally, confused and afraid. That's basically what you do. How do you not know this, I thought it was your goal all along."

Twilight turned to her closet, pulling out that yellow dress Rarity had made for her quite some time ago while Discord was thinking in silence, wondering whether he should tell her his intention wasn't so much to scare as it was to... establish a rule of a sort.

... come to think of it, that sounded much worse.

"Such a boring dress." She flinched when he suddenly appeared behind her shoulder.

"It is not boring! It's simple and practical! I like it just the way it is."

"Suit yourself, dear." He chuckled as he eyed the dress with clear distaste and tried fly downstairs. He payed for his insolence by bumping into an invisible wall Twilight had conjured.

"Watch where you're going~" she sang out from the beneath and he snapped his fingers.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Hello, Twilight! Oh, gosh, oh gosh, Dissy you're here too, I'm soooo glad to see you both here, I wasn't sure if it would be clear that you're all invited or not because like, I've written a gazillion of these in advance and I usually just put the date and the time and--! Oh,Twilight, your dress is so awesome! I didn't know there was the kind of fabric that has moving prints on it!"

"I call it 'discotton'." Discord mischievously commented. As a sign of revenge for that invisible wall, he turned Twilight's yellow dress into a colorful mess with animated prints of balloons, cupcakes and presents. The colors were eye stabbing, the dress was a mess and Spike was laughing the whole time.

"Thank you so much, Discord." Twilight deadpanned. Pinkie just laughed.

"Come in, come in, everypony is here already!"

Though it was quite early, the party was already in full swing and there were more ponies than Twilight expected. She could spy Applejack and Rainbow Dash out in the back, having a one-on-one dancing contest. There was also Golden Harvest - or, if it were to judge by something incredibly humorous she had been telling to laughing Redheart and Junebug, she currently went by her alternative name of 'Carrot Top'. She saw Cheerilee, who already seemed to be in the spirits of the party, talking to Davenport, whom Twilight was fairly good friends with (the two were able to go on for hours about quills). Pinky must've had big plans for this party because even Vinyl appeared to handle the music and her roommate Octavia seemed to know how to follow the beat as easily as she followed the orchestra. There were quite a few more familiar faces but Twilight kept pushing through the crowd until she found Rarity and Fluttershy lingered near the punch bowl, slowly sipping and talking about 'Fluttershy's gorgeous mane'.

"You really ought to do something with so much of that beautiful hair... not to mention such soft, natural color!"

"Um, I think I like it the way it is... sorry..."

"Guys, guys! Look who is here!"

Rarity and Fluttershy both looked at Twilight and Spike with welcoming smiles (Spike immediately got closer to the fashionista) but their smiles soon turned into expressions of surprise when they noticed Discord by their side. Twilight didn't pay too much attention to the fact many ponies turned their heads his way because, she figured, this was going to become normal even if they had to visit every last party there was for a year.

At least Rarity didn't pay him much mind - she was infinitely more surprised by Twilight's dress and let out a sharp gasp.

"Just where... in the world did you get that fabulous fabric?! I mean the pattern is awful, of course but for goodness' sake, it is moving!" She rambled, staring at the weird dress in awe.

"Don't tell me you like it? Discord played a little joke on me." Twilight explained; Discord bowed as his name was mentioned.

"It is movable print. It is simply fantastic!" Rarity exclaimed, her eyes going a tiny bit wild. Twilight let the SPirit take over the conversation as he seemed incredibly flattered that someone managed to respect the bit of him that made thing come to life.

"I'm glad at least somepony appreciates my fashion creation." The Spirit proudly announced. Only onceTwilight looked at him did she notice something.

"Have you gotten shorter?"

"If I hadn't, I'd be much too tall for the house. I just took away a couple of inches."

"I didn't know your magic could do that."

He shrugged. "I never used it in front of you, is all."

It was the second time in two days he used magic on level she didn't know he was capable of, the first time being when he transported them both all the way to Sweet Apple Acres. Her growing suspicion was interrupted though, once Rarity spoke again to Discord, this time sounding like he was an old acquaintance.

"Oh, you have got to teach me that spell, dear! I'd work my horn off until I learned it!"

"Oh, I doubt I can do that, generous Rarity. Your magical abilities, whole at times respectable hardly match your beauty." Rarity ignored the remark on her lack of powers because she pretty much expected that sort of behavior from him sooner or later. His unexpected compliment though, left her completely speechless and blushing and she laughed one of those high pitched giggles. It was enough to make Spike start fuming. Twilight could practically feel the heat emanating from the dragon.

"Khm, khm!" he coughed loudly as he got in between them. "Hey, hey Rarity, can I ask you for a dance? Please?" Spike added the pleading word before Rarity could say she was busy talking. Rarity was too much of a nice lady to refuse such a nice plead.

"Excuse me." She smiled at the Spirit delightfully before following Spike to join Rainbow and Applejack, who were still much too into their dancing to notice the chaotic visitor.

"Well, well. Looks like not everyone is ignorant of dangers my charm possesses." Discord smugly commented as he watched Spike, the little dragon's face still red both from fury and the fact he actually managed to get Rarity on the dance floor. Twilight and Pinkie Pie laughed, while Fluttershy gave but a small shy smile. Her eyes were constantly trying to avoid him, yet her curiosity of the Spirit and eagerness to know him better constantly forced her to glance at him again and again.

Not being completely oblivious to that, Twilight decided they she should try and leave them alone to give Fluttershy a chance to talk to him. Though she had no idea what the timid Pegasus could possibly discuss with likes of him.

"Hey Pinkie, wanna dance?"

"What kind of question is that?!" Pinkie asked back laughing and dragged Twilight away to join the dancing crowd. While she was dancing, the unicorn she would occasionally glance at the two. Pleasant surprise took over when she saw them actually talking and Fluttershy didn't seem upset. Wow, did she just smile? Did he just laugh?! Watching them was awkward - she almost dozed of staring at them before remembering she promised Pinkie a dance.

Two songs later, record player stopped as Vinyl headed to her well deserved break and everyone returned to the snack table while Pinkie was looking through music suggestions - it was only then that Rainbow Dash noticed the Spirit; him and Fluttershy enjoying the punch, the snacks and most of all, it would appear, their conversation. Twilight already saw Rainbow opening her mouth, undoubtedly to loudly protest Discord being at their party, so she swiftly grabbed her from behind and put a hoof in her mouth to stop her from talking, then dragged her to the side.

"If you say anything negative, I swear Rainbow Dash, I'll never forgive you."

"What the hay is he doing here?!" Rainbow hissed silently, dangerously eyeing Discord as he showed Fluttershy an amusing spell - putting four chips together, he created a flying butterfly. Then, much to Fluttershy's shock, Pinkie jumped up and ate it in the mid air.

"Relax, he is not bothering anypony! Look, even Applejack is completely fine with seeing him here!" She gestured toward the orange pony who greeted Discord with a smile. Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth.

"Well-- Yes, he is, he is bothering me!"

"He didn't even do anything! Would you just knock it off? What is it with you?"

"Ugh! I just can't, Twilight! Just seeing his stupid face here make me wanna--! Ugh!"

"You should give him a chance, you know. Him and I have actually become friends and I really think--"

"Friends? With him? As if! It is impossible to befriend someone like him. You two are as much of friends as Spike and Opal are! Can't you see, Twilight? He's pretending. He wants to gain your trust."

"That is not true." Twilight replied, hurt by her words but deciding it was Rainbow's hot head spewing nonsense. Rainbow was a second away from continuing her furious bashing of the draconequues, when Fluttershy suddenly joined Twilight by her side.

"Wow, Twilight, I, I never even dreamed that Discord could be such a pleasant company."

Both Twilight and Rainbow stared at her is disbelief - despite seeing them getting along, Twilight didn't expect to hear that big of a compliment from Fluttershy so soon. Rainbow didn't expect anything but Fluttershy's tears and nearly felt sorry about the fact they weren't there, proving her point.

"Really?" Twilight asked, still totally baffled. The pegasus nodded eagerly.

"Yes, he really seemed... well, I wouldn't like to get ahead of myself but..." She glanced at Discord, who was whispering something to Pinkie and turned back to Rainbow and Twilight with a shy, eager smile on her face, "I think he actually enjoyed talking to me." a shade of red covered her cheeks; it was obvious that meant a lot to her, especially since she was usually so shy and quiet.

Twilight proudly patted her on the shoulder but Rainbow let out a frustrated "oh come ON!" before marching over to the snack table, grabbing and furiously chewing on a hoof-full of chips. Fluttershy arched an eyebrow.

"Is Rainbow Dash alright?"

"She is just being a regular stubborn mule, is all." Twilight sighed.

"Oh, that is too bad... I think the two of them would get along nicely."

"Really? How come?"

"Well, Discord seems to love flying just as much as she does, by what he says - ever since his powers were taken away, he's been flying much more than usual, especially during the night." Fluttershy explained.

"Really? I guess I never noticed." Twilight wondered. Their conversation was interrupted by Applejack's desperate scream - for a moment Twilight panicked, asking herself what had Spirit done now - but it turned out she was the victim of prank.

"Who would have known even Applejack would get scared by a rubber centipede!"

"Well, when ya find one the size of your hoof swimming in yer drink, ya get a slightly bigger scare, ya know." Applejack breathed out with a chuckle, taking the rubber centipede out of her glass. Rainbow Dash was not amused as she slowly sipped on her punch.

"Come on, let's just have fun. I'm sure Rainbow will relax soon." Twilight told Fluttershy as the two joined their friends.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The party was one of Pinkie Pie's bigger successes. In fact, it got so loud and fun, at least a dozen ponies crashed it, which Pinkie didn't seem to mind in the slightest. Twilight was in fact pretty sure some of those were literally dragged inside from the street.

The weirdest thing of all was that they didn't mind the Spirit of Chaos being in the same room with them. There were still ponies who glanced at him suspiciously, uncertain about putting their trust into him but many others didn't seem to mind him at all, even greeting him and trying to lead small talk.

The best thing of all, however, was that they weren't afraid of him anymore.

No, actually, the best thing was the fact they all collectively bonded when Discord decided it was the proper time to teach the the Shuffle.

The only thing amiss with the entire evening was, of course, Rainbow Dash; she completely ignored him. Discord had completely grabbed everyone's attention while she stood alone by the window, munching on the poptart.

"If you continue like this, you'll eat all the snacks for tonight." Twilight teased her when she bit into the third pop tart in the last two minutes. Rainbow glanced at her shortly, then at the poptart. The next moment, she angrily threw the half finished poptart back on the plate, and sternly announced:

"I'm going home."

"Oh come on, why are you being like this?"

"Because I can!" The pegasus stubbornly answered before finally leaving the party through a nearby window, nopony ever noticing her departure.

Knowing there was nothing she could do, Twilight got back to having a good time, though the rainbow colored mare wouldn't leave her mind no matter what she did.

Around midnight, the ponies finally scattered home. Spike was long asleep due to too much of strong punch and Pinkie Pie offered to let him sleep over since he seemed to enjoy sleeping in the pile of flour bags so much. Once Twilight promised she would get him in the morning and thanked her for the party, her and slightly... in fact, completely disoriented Discord finally started going home.

Twilight had to suppress her laughter more than once because of the Spirit's state - much like Spike, he drank a lot of sweet punch but one that was more intended for ponies tougher than her - it was the best one Berry Punch had and brought over; the level of fun grew instantly when the ponies tastes punch spiced with strong wine.

Discord actually sang as they finally entered the library; she recognized that song slightly but could not recall where she heard it first.

"Disco-hic!-oord, I'mma howlin' at th' Moon~ an' sleepin' in th' middle of th' sumrreh aftree-noon..." The Spirit 'sang' as he finally flopped down on the couch, letting out a grateful groan. As she got out of her colorful, still animated dress, Twilight could hear him laughing like a loon. She did her best not to join him, because she had a feeling she would never stop if she did.

"I can't help but think you had fun tonight." She leaned over the couch to look at him. The Spirit looked at her, still chuckling. Twilight never thought she would see the Spirit being this out of it; she had to admit, it was quite fun to watch.

"Twilight Sprrraarrkle, my dearest -hic!- pony lady---" he paused to, "tonight was a ff-...fffulll... I forget what I was gonna say..." his forgetfulness caused another wave of hysteric laughter. Twilight was glad she let Spike sleep over - Discord would have waken him up by now.

"You should get some sleep." Twilight reasonably said - she didn't expect her words to cause a reaction; Discord instantly sat up, looking at her half confused and half disappointed.

"Sleep?" he leaned slightly closer to her, not realizing he was getting into her face - Twilight could feel the scent of sweet grapes from the wine and alcohol in his breath. "Night is still young, Twilight Sparkle." He spoke almost clearly, as if the mere thought of going to sleep suddenly put him in the mood for more entertaining things. "Neither you nor I are ready for sleep yet."

"Oh." Twilight realized he was, as he'd put it if he weren't drunk, bored. Well sure, why not. She could be up for another half an hour or so. The Spirit will probably be asleep by then. "What do you want to do?"

The Spirit pondered or a few moments, throwing one of his arms around her shoulder, the force of it nearly sending her to her knees.

"Let's turn on some...," he hiccuped, "some music."

"What? Now you feel like dancing? Again?"

"No, no~~ th' Shoofle is awesome but-" It was obvious he wasn't much for dancing once he accidentally tipped over the couch and fell face first on the floor.

"Discord, you can barely stand. It is time to call it a night." Twilight managed through the laughter. The Spirit was about to retort when he suddenly tensed up, falling silent.

"Shh! Listen. Can you hear that?" Again, he thre one of his arms around her but this time he instructed her to listen, the other hand on his perched up ear. Twilight fell silent; she held her ears up, trying to catch a sign of any unusual noise. Aside from a few crickets and occasional howl of Owloysius somewhere in the night air, nothing else was heard.

"Discord, I can't-" He interrupted her silently, putting a talon over her lips.

"The sound... of magic!" The Spirit smiled knowingly, staring at her with wide, almost sparkly eyes.

Twilight was by now sure he was pulling her leg.

"Discord, what in the world are... you..." She observed as the Spirit let go and sat next to her, extending his arms before himself; he looked like he was in state of complete tranquility as he closed his eyes. For the next few moments, they were both silent and still.

In the next moment, a small pool of some liquid formed in his palms and from in between his fingers dripped what looked like it was the light itself - it was bright, emitting pure light and of purest white color Twilight has ever seen. It soundlessly dripped to the floor but Twilight didn't care. Right now she was in absolute awe of the Spirit, both frightened and astonished by his capabilities once she realized what the liquid was.

The pure, white, shining liquid was the very essence of Magic.

How was he doing it, she had no idea. This kind of magic extracting power was noted down in her history books perhaps three times altogether but it was never mentioned somepony did it on themselves. She wasn't entirely sure even Celestia could do it, though Twilight believed she probably could... with greater effort.

And yet, here he was, with but a fraction of his power bestowed upon him, half drunk and displaying one of the most powerful acts of magic and body in the history of Equestria. Finally realizing this was something worth writing down, Twilight instantly summoned the quill and the parchment, writing and sketching furiously but her eyes never leaving the Spirit.

With a swift movement of his arms, Discord threw spread his arms, one of them releasing the Magic into the air, and the other pouring it over the floor. Then, he snapped the fingers of both his hands.

The drops of Magic that were spread through the space of her library and around, then zoomed away and disappeared into thin air. Discord's eyes popped open, shining almost eerily with the white light.

Twilight yelped when the floor beneath her moved. The windows closed and became one with the wall, and the ceiling rose and rose upwards until it was no longer visible. What was once ceiling became the night sky, covered with newly formed sky and star constellations that Twilight didn't recognize. Some stars were as huge as the Sun and the crescent Moon was bigger of them all, spreading though bigger part of the night sky.

The walls, much like the ceiling, disappeared in the distance, the space they created being replaced with weird, twisted and nature defying trees, buildings that were architecturally impossible to build and crossbred or never before seen animals. The floor became a colorful grass of purple and blue color shades and colorless flowers popped around her. Tiny ponies the size of a hoof flew through the air, their wings leaving a foggy, cyan trace behind.

Taking in everything that happened, Twilight noticed Discord had left only one thing untouched - her library door. One of the weird houses had exactly the same front door her library had. It was safe to conclude everything he just did was inside of her home only, and that nopony from outside could probably see what was going on.

He is creating a small universe in a confined space... that defies every single rule of physics and magic as we know it! And where did he acquire such power? When did he acquire it? He couldn't have possibly gained his powers back, Celestia is keeping them under a lock!

All those questions will have to wait, Twilight finally concluded, as she watched final touch of magic taking place; green-lit bugs flew through the air, reminding her of fireflies but as big a her head.

Everything calmed down and Discord closed his once magic engulfed eyes. When he slowly opened them again, Twilight thankfully noticed they were back to their golden-scarlet state.

"Discord?" she asked quietly. The Spirit looked around, got up and triumphantly laughed. The wobble in his legs was gone though he was still clearly tipsy.

"My home! My Chaos!" He twirled in the air, looking almost innocent as he 'danced' in the midst of the newly created chaotic world.

Twilight followed him slowly, swallowing - she only now felt how dry her throat got. "Discord... what have you... I mean..." She was too confused to ask but Spirit seemed more than eager to explain.

"I missed my Chaos, Twilight, dear, I-I just had to do somethin' about it!" Discord said, still tipsy. "Do not fret, your boooring old home will be back by th' sunrise!"

"Oh... alright." Twilight replied, figuring she might let him enjoy for now. He really seemed happy... happier than ever.

Now that she looked around, the world Discord created wasn't half bad. Sure some of the animals were a bit creepy but the dark grass, the eerie green light from those fireflies, the cyan foggy air and gorgeous, unusual night sky were quite a nice sight. It fact, it pretty much resembled something she would create if she were to able to conjure her own world.

"You're quite an artist." she noticed.

"O-of course mah dear; naturally I went with somethin'-- somethin' that you could enjoy 'swell!"

"Oh... thanks."

"Don' mention it!" The Spirit collapsed into grass, and Twilight trotted over to him to check on him - he looked so peaceful. She never saw him like that before.

"Enjoying yourself?" she asked softly.

The Spirit smiled the most sincere smile she ever saw. "You have no idea." The beloved surrounding seemed to have put him out of his drunken stupor a little bit. Twilight sat down next to him. Who knows how he felt all this time, with no chaos whatsoever; and he obviously couldn't help himself but loving the Chaos more than anything.

... Twilight tried to imagine it. She remembered what they all thought once they encountered chaotic world. They didn't like it much and could only live in it if they were to try their hardest to adapt. But they probably couldn't love it.

...Was that how Discord felt in their world of Harmony?

"Discord?"

"Hmm?"

"What do you think of our world? I mean--" She realized he might not understand the question, "What do you think of living normally... living like us?"

The Spirit laughed. "Oh it is fine dear. But at least every once in a while, if I can't have it all the time, someone like me needs something like this."

"Someone like you?"

"An outsider, I guess. You might as well call me an abomination."

"Discord, you're not--"

"Oh but I am, my dear. Do not be afraid to admit it, I came to terms with that long ago. It is simply who I am, I was never ashamed of it."

Silence.

"Weren't you lonely?"

Discord looked up at the sky. "I had my powers. With great power come a lot of possibilities and you end up not even thinking about that most of the time. Then I lost everything. It wasn't... nice." He glanced at her and grinned toothily. "But I have gotten you and some new friends in return, didn't I?"

Twilight was at loss for words. To think he came to appreciate them so much... her eyes unwillingly started to get wet; he didn't miss the fact she turned her head away. "Now, now, what did I say? I want no tears in my dreams, or in my own worlds." He teased as he gently pulled on her mane, making her face him.

"But I'm crying because I'm-I'm ha-happy." she stuttered a bit, smiling meekly.

"I can tell." She felt his claw patting her on the head. It felt warm.

"Too bad you'll be denying all of this in the morning." Twilight brought up what has been bothering her for some time already and the Spirit chuckled.

"If we're going to be honest, I most likely won't even remember it. I hadn't had a drink for a long time, if you'll remember."Tthe Spirit laughed. "But you don't have to be sad. It is not like you'll forget what I said."

"Never." Twilight confirmed. They both spent the rest of the evening watching the sky until they both drifted off to sleep.

Twilight's parchment and quill, having written a half finished research, laid forgotten somewhere in the grass.