• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 26,933 Views, 1,295 Comments

Learning ABCs - Adorable, Bothersome, Chaotic - Isopod



Twilight unwillingly starts seeing something more that just chaos in a certain Draconequus.

  • ...
39
 1,295
 26,933

19) Shameless Fanservice and Discord's Newly discovered Preferences

Discord shifted in front of the fireplace. As winter came nearer, he got more and more comfortable with his place in front of it - even though he once said he didn't like sleeping in the same spot twice, having accommodated in Twilight's home so nicely had its effect on him. And, well, it was freezing outside.

Once he heard the clock striking ten, the Spirit decided he had enough of lying about, despite how comfy it felt - it was time to discover what the day had to offer. With a satisfied smack of his lips he got up and stretched - outside, he noticed, a thin cover of pure white snow laying on the streets of Ponyville. The winter was coming, slowly.

"Morning, Discord!" He heard the small dragon greeting him and replied something incomprehensible in turn, which seemed to have been his common way to say good morning. He hadn't heard any morning greetings from the unicorn, however and was surprised to have not noticed she was gone.

"Where is Celestia's favorite student?" He questioned as he crept into the kitchen over the ceiling, much to the little dragons' amusement.

"She went to get a new batch of quills and some more ink. Should be back soon." Spike replied as he grabbed a pan to make breakfast - he was unpleasantly surprised when it suddenly turned into a rubber duck.

"Listen man, breakfast is serious business. Especially when you're as hungry as I am right now. I don't need these shenanigans."

"But why do it the hard way when you can leave things to me!" With but a click of his fingers, he summoned two small, colorful cakes. Spike frowned.

"A cake for breakfast? Twilight said-"

"Yours is filled with gems."

"I'll get us some milk."

The short conversation the two engaged in during breakfast was all the fun the Spirit was going to get from the dragon however, for Spike soon got to work, cleaning the library. Naturally, Discord found all that awfully boring, so he decided to have some fun with ponies outside - prepare a prank or two, cause some trouble - perhaps he could even make the ground in the town center icy. He hadn't gone ice skating for so long!

But as the Spirit reappeared outside, floating without a care in the world above the busy little town and enjoying the fresh wind of coolness in his face, he noticed something. Something different with ponies. He surely had never seen this, anywhere. Not even in Canterlot, where fashion was one of the things worth living for.

All ponies... wore socks.

From above their knees to just above their hooves. In all colours of the rainbow and beyond it, of all possible shades, stripes and circles, bubbles and smileys, stars and moons, accessories and pockets, loose, sleek, of wool and cotton, silk or something totally different... socks of all kinds of shapes, lengths and designs.

Now, the Spirit wouldn't usually have a problem with a new fashion trend. If anything, he himself liked to experiment with the strange things ponies would wear - oh how many times had he turned somepony's hat into a mane-eating plant. How many times he cursed a cute little pair of shoes with unstoppable tango. Or when he encountered Hoity Toity during his last escapade - the way he styled his mane. Or when he magically animated the prints he added on Twilight's dress.

Yes, if anything, Discord liked to have fun with... 'designing' but this was... different.

For starters, whoever said ponies in general weren't cute, was likely lying or had a really poor taste. If it were not for their aversion to Chaos, they would make the cutest little beings Discord had ever encountered and though he often disapproved of their orderly, friendly, saccharine ways, he genuinely found them to be a high quality pet material.

That being established, Discord figured, anyone who was saying ponies weren't cute before, would now definitely have changed their mind. Baffled to no end, he observed as Lyra walked down the streets, trotting happily around and wearing a pair of slightly puffy socks of a golden, Sun-like color that perfectly matched her Cutie Mark and her eyes. Ditzy, who flew around in wrinkled socks with the colors of the sky and bubbles printed on them. A mare he had never even met wore the cutest little socks with pockets in them.

It was cute to die for and Discord despised it. Too much cute was his number one weakness. Only one mare in all of Ponyville was skilled enough to spread so many socks around overnight, he realized, and she had mostly likely given them away, being the Element of Generosity. That bloody fashionista.

"Hiya, Dissy!"

Looking down, Discord saw Pinkie Pie in the most over-sized sky-blue socks ever, that were seemingly way too bulgy for her legs - still, she had no problem bouncing with them. Her Cutie Mark was imprinted on their sides.

"What is all of this?"

"Umm, it's Ponyville, duh!"

"No, no Pinkie, dear - I meant, why is everypony wearing... these?" He questioned as he gently pulled on one of her socks. The look of realization crossed her eyes.

"Oh! It has been getting cold and all and Rarity came up with these awesome winter socks! Us young lads think they're totally rad!"

Lads?

"Rad??"

"Well anyway, gotta be on my way! Oh, you should totally get some socks as well!"

As if! Discord thought with a surprised smile as he watched her bounce away. This was all too much or him. He flew back to the library, hoping that by the next day, those silly socks would be a thing of past.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The socks became a huge hit in Ponyville.

Discord had no other choice but to get used to it. The cuteness overload was something he'd just have to deal with - not that it was unpleasant but it sure was distracting.

There was only one thing that bothered him by the end of day three since socks took over the world.

Twilight Sparkle was prancing around the library, either indulged into her research or reading, or talking to Spike - at some point she even said something to Discord but he just nodded absentmindedly, staring at the state she was in, so shamelessly walking around with her hooves bared. The absence of socks on the purple unicorn was bothering him and Tart if he knew why but he simply had an impulsive need to see hew wear them. He contemplated simply magicking them onto her but for some reason enjoyed the idea of her choosing to wear them herself.

What in the world was going on for him to think this way?

"Twilight, look what Rarity made me!" Spike proudly showed her a cute jumper of emerald green color.

"Wow, that's a really nice jumper! I'm surprised she even had time for you with all the socks she's been making lately."

Chance! For a conversation about the blasted socks! The Spirit butted into the conversation with no pardon.

"Didn't generous Rarity make a pair for you as well?" He casually asked.

"She did, in fact and a very nice pair, too," Discord's ears perked up, "but I decided not to wear them."

He frowned and just as quickly hid it.

"Why not? I'm sure they're beautiful and would keep you perfectly warm." Spike commented and Discord decided to hop on the sock train.

"Yes, why imagine the view count for this cha-- I mean, they're pretty well made!"

Twilight shrugged. "Truth to be told, I just don't feel that cold."

... Well.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"By Celestia, it is cold!" Twilight shivered. The afternoon was much more merciless than the morning, when Sun was still slightly warming everypony. Now, thick gray clouds covered the sky and rain was falling like it hadn't in years.

"It is indeed." Discord agreed gleefully. Twilight gave him a confused look but mounted it up to Discord being Discord.

"Gosh, winter sure can't wait its turn." Spike said - the jumper Rarity had made for him suited him well on that cold afternoon. Looking outside the window, he practically saw nothing from all the rain that poured down on Ponyville.

"That is strange. The weather ponies hadn't mentioned any strong rain yesterday." Twilight scratched her chin with her hoof before she finally shrugged it off. "I guess they can't always be right."

The library door suddenly opened as a strong wind blew through the library. Discord, who was guilty of both that and the rain, floated over to the door and closed them swiftly.

"Freezing!" Twilight exclaimed, before finally climbing up to her bedroom, presumably to get dressed.

Discord in the meantime both celebrated his successful plan and cursed himself for even going with it. Though no one was wiser, he hadn't felt so humiliated with his own doing in eons. Whatever, he told himself, as the Lord of Chaos I was capable to demand whatever I want, whenever I want. And since the tables have turned and I can not no longer simply demand, I just had to improvise to get things going my way.

Whether all of that were just excuses for his unusual wish to see Twilight dressed in that accursed piece of clothing or not, he himself didn't know.

"I knew these would come in handy!" He heard her say, turned around and immediately wished he didn't because the silliest smile crept onto his face.

"Look, Spike! Don't they look like something Rarity would make?" Twilight proudly extended one of her hooves forwards. They were stripped, with various shades of pink, violet and dark blue - much like her mane. They weren't puffy, instead they went right against her skin, complimenting her legs.

"Wow, they're really nice! Rarity sure did her best!"

"She's been making them for days now - not to mention she had been giving many of them away. I heard she'll be going to Canterlot with these. With a little luck, all of Equestria will be wearing them and Rarity might even get open a branch of hers in Canterlot!"

Thus she got back to her usual business. Little did she know she was victim of Discord's stalking--

AHEM. I am not stalking, I am just.. observing.

Sure you are. Anyway, Discord got back to "observing" Twilight's movements, quite literally - her every twirl, every walk, every time she happily bounced as she observed her new socks - she seemed to enjoy them quite much as she even at one point started a little dance.

He hated it with passion.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"What do you mean, the socks were a flop?!" Twilight's jaw fell slightly on the news Rarity had just delivered, her head hanging low. Somewhere in the back, Discord accidentally broke a plate upon hearing the news.

"Well, apparently those fancy gents of Canterlot think my darling socks are too much of a 'street wear'." Rarity said, her face composed but her voice clearly announcing just how upset she was. It would probably take her some time to start looking at her precious Canterlot the way she did before. "Some smaller businesses have offered to buy most of what I made, so it won't be a complete waste... but I had hoped so hard they would make it to the top of the tops, you know?"

"I know Rarity. I am so sorry to hear that. Hey, if anything, us 'commoners'," Twilight tried her best to be heavy on sarcasm, "love these. You made something amazing, you just gave it to wrong crowd, that's all."

Rarity gave her friend a small smile. "Thank you Twilight. I guess not all is lost. I gave so many of them away, I might just do the same again. Oh, or maybe a charity sale, that would be fun! Oh, I have so many ideas right now! Thank you dear!" She was ready to leave, suddenly in a good mood, before turning around again: "Oh, right! Here is another pair, complimentary of course - I thought this one would suit you well. Ta-ta, dear!" She rushed off, mumbling some plans under her breath.

Twilight frowned as she closed to door to the library.

"Too bad. I really started to love these." She got out the pair she just got - midnight blue with white stars. Rarity sure knows my taste, she thought as she put them on, waving her hooves playfully.

"Spike? Spike, where are you? We have work to do!"

"If I am not mistaken," Discord spoke as he floated around the ceiling lamp, "you just about missed him sneaking out to console lady Generosity."

"Figures - just while we're in the middle of cleaning, he has to leave."

"I guess I could help you."

After a moment of recovering from shock of even receiving such an offer, the mare firmly said: "No way! I am not letting you anywhere near my books!"

The Spirit chuckled. "I'll be a good Lord of Chaos, I solemnly Pinkie Promise. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

"... Alright but you promised, so..."

"Nopony breaks a Pinkie Promise." Discord said seriously before the two got to work - or in Discord's case, glancing constantly at the purple pony's attire.

Such a stalker.

Author's Note:

This chapter is the shortest, fluffiest, cutest, silliest most "romantic" thing I have ever written so far and the relationship didn't even develop that much. I apologize. I just had to write this because the idea was too bloody amusing.

Once again, all props of editting goes to the Skittles diety. Taste the Rainbow, guys.