• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 17,218 Views, 991 Comments

The Great Slave King - TalonMach5



King a slave of the diamond dogs, becomes a god and plots his revenge against those who wronged him.

  • ...
68
 991
 17,218

He Who Would be Emperor

As much as Sir Stouthorn didn’t want to admit it, his wounds were much worse than he was letting on. Sitting alone in the antechamber, he sighed deeply before wincing in pain as he felt his broken ribs making their objections known. The morning’s training session had nearly ended in disaster. The knight of the Lawgiver, only just barely managed to overcome the final challenge of Lord Darkpaw’s Training Grounds and now he could barely even stand. He had no idea how he could possibly face Lord Ouroboros in his present condition.

“Le Boeuf, you’ve really gone and done it now you old duffer!” Sir Stouthorn harshly admonished himself. “Everytaurus was counting on you and you went and gotten yourself grievously injured! And Princess Luna thought me comely, what would she say if she could see me now?”

“Sir Knight,” a feminine and musical voice said, “I wouldst tell thee that thy wounds are a tribute to thine prowess, gallantry, and bravery.”

Turning to look at who had spoken to him, Sir Stouthorn saw to his surprise the princess of the night looking down at him in all her dark beauty. Shocked that Princess Luna was seeing him in such a deplorable condition, made the knight of the Lawgiver stammer a bit as he tried composing himself. “Princess Luna,” he said, trying his best to sit up and pay his respects to her before wincing in pain when his body refused to cooperate. “Please forgive for not being able to greet you properly. I seem to be a bit out of sorts at the moment.”

“Nay, tis we that shouldst beg thee for thine forgiveness,” Princess Luna replied, her eyes filled with concern at the minotaur’s many wounds, “We that commissioned thee to parlay with the foul beast that caused thee such discomfiture. Responsibility for thy wounding layeth solely upon our own head.”

“Nonsense Your Majesty!” Sir Stouthorn replied, his face ashen and pale. “Serving you has been the greatest honor of my career. My only regret is that I will not be able to see the quest through to the end…”

“Is that so minotaur?” a raspy voice said, filling the room with a deathly chill. “A pity, you showed such promise too…”

Sir Stouthorn turned towards the source of the voice, but already knew who it was by how The Vendetta reacted. Sensing its creator was present, the perverse creation began singing a silent hymn of destruction that wracked him all the way down to his tired old bones. “Ah Slave King,” he said, trying his best to mask his discomfort, “my humble apologies, but your proving grounds proved too much for me to handle. I’m in no position to fight at the moment.”

“Minotaur, I have no time for your excuses,” the Slave King said coldly, seemingly unconcerned with the knight of Lawgiver’s many wounds. “When you pledged yourself as my champion, you made a binding contract with the Earth. You will face Lord Ouroboros in battle.”

“Thou hateful creature!” Princess Luna shouted, incensed that the Slave King would send Sir Stouthorn out to fight in his present condition. “Hast thine black heart not a shred of compassion? Wouldst thou sendeth out such a worthy soul to perish needlessly to satisfy thy foalish pride?”

“Luna the beautiful,” the Slave King contemptuously said, resting his burning gaze on the alicorn princess momentarily before returning his attention towards Sir Stouthorn, “this matter does not concern you.”

“Thou base knave!” Luna replied, angrily shaking her shifting mane. “Sir Stouthorn pledged himself to our quest before thine. We shan’t allow thee to abuse him.”

“Allow me…” the Slave King growled, causing the temperature in the room to lower even further showing his great displeasure at being openly challenged. “You dare to command me in my own realm? Madam, hold your tongue before I remove it.”

Sir Stouthorn felt his blood boil when he heard the Slave King’s untoward behavior towards the princess. “I say hold sir,” he said, weakly raising his fist towards the Lord of the Earth. “I won’t see the princess being so roughly abused by you.”

Princess Luna’s cheeks flushed crimson when she saw Sir Stouthorn attempting to put himself in front of the Slave King on her behalf. “Prithee,” she said, trying her best to be contrite. "We beseech thee to receive mine alack, our decorum towards thee in this matter twas wanting.”

The Slave King glared at the princess for a moment, and said nothing before returning his attention towards the stricken Sir Stouthorn. “Minotaur,” he said, with a flat and emotionless tone, “your wounds are great. In this condition you are useless to me. In order to allow you to fight I must grant you a small piece of my divinity. I must warn you that receiving it has consequences, do you accept?”

When she heard what the Slave King proposed, Princess Luna’s ears laid back with worry. “We beseech thee Sir Knight,” she said, hoping that the minotaur would heed her warning, “take heed, lest thou imperil thy soul with his corruption.”

“Will it allow me to finish the quest?” Sir Stouthorn asked, trying to sit up as much as his weary body would allow.

After pausing to consider the question the Slave King looked down at the prone minotaur. “Yes,” he replied, casting a glance towards Princess Luna. “But as Luna the beautiful pointed out, there are risks.”

“Then I accept,” Sir Stouthorn said, fully prepared to complete the quest consequences be damned.

“So be it…” the Slave King said, reaching out his finger towards Sir Stouthorn’s forehead.

“Wait!” shouted Princess Luna, walking up towards the Slave King and Sir Stouthorn. “If thou shan’t be dissuaded from this foolhardy action, allow us to aid thee in thy healing.”

“Princess Luna,” Sir Stouthorn replied, looking up at the princess of the night with adoration, “I would be honored.”

Both Sir Stouthorn and Princess Luna looked at the Slave King waiting for his approval. Considering the request, he didn’t know quite what to say. Never before had he mingled his divinity with another deity. Sighing, he silently nodded his agreement, “Very well minotaur, if that is your wish I shall assent,” he said, his voice softening just a bit.

Reaching towards Princess Luna’s horn, the Slave King tentatively reached out and touched it with his outstretched finger. As his flesh met her horn, he felt his divinity mingling with hers. As his soul was touched by her power, he felt as if his body was being enveloped by its silken darkness. Suddenly, a compulsion to look into the alicorn’s eyes washed over him. Stealing a glance at the princess of the night’s sapphire eyes, he felt an alien emotion washing over him. When he looked into her eyes, her normally hard and icy expression softened as she gently smiled at him. Instantly he tried looking away, but found that he was unable to as he found himself drowning in her azure eyes. Struggling to understand what he was experiencing, he racked his mind for the answer. All he could recall was that he had once known the feeling, but now he was at a loss. Unfortunately the knowledge of it had been lost to sands of time.

Feeling lost and a tiny bit afraid while his soul bathed in the alicorn’s divinity, he cautiously released his own divinity to mingle with hers. He felt all the power of the Earth, its strength, resilience, renewal, and fertility mixing freely with the gentle shadows of the night, forming something terrifyingly dark and beautiful. Feeling ready to proceed, he gingerly guided her horn down towards Sir Stouthorn’s forehead with his finger. As they touched the knight’s brow together, their mingled divinity entered his weak and broken body. Normally, the Slave King cared not one whit if those he shared his power with suffered as their bodies were transfigured by his touch. However this time it was much different, the latent magic flowing through the minotaur was gentle and caring like a mother caring for its child. Now a part of that magic, the Slave King could almost feel empathy for Sir Stouthorn as his frail and weakened body regenerated.

The task nearly completed, both Luna and the Slave King broke their connection to Sir Stouthorn allowing their residual magic to complete his transfiguration. As their divinity ebbed and flowed together, the Lord under the Earth reluctantly withdrew his divinity back into his soul as he fought the longing desire to continue basking in Princess Luna’s power. Once the power of the Earth was completely returned within him, he quickly withdrew his finger from her horn and turned away from the princess. Feeling uneasy over what he had just experienced, the Slave King decided to push aside any further thoughts of it and return to the business at hand. “Rise Sir Stouthorn,” he commanded, trying his best to avoid looking back at Luna.

Sir Stouthorn couldn’t believe how great he felt. He felt like a totally new bull, he hadn’t felt this great in over thirty years! Flexing his muscles, he pulled himself up out of the bed and stood up on his hooves. “Princess Luna, I can’t thank you enough,” he said, getting down on one knee and solemnly kissing her hoof causing her to blush profusely.

“Nay, tis we who should thank thee,” Princess Luna said, wearing a gentle smile. “Thy bravery in accepting our quest and willingness to go where others fear to tread, is an inspiration to us all. We eagerly await thy victorious triumph over Lord Ouroboros.”

Sir Stouthorn stood up and began checking his armor, anklets, and The Vendetta to make sure they were battle ready. “I shall be victorious Your Majesty,” he said before turning to the Slave King. “Just remember to abide by your promise when I return with your property.”

“I shall,” the Slave King replied, lost in his own thoughts. “Minotaur, I can’t stress enough the importance of doing no more than I commanded you. Do as I’ve said and you shall have your reward.”

“By Triton’s mane I feel young again!” Sir Stouthorn exclaimed, before exiting the room to regroup with his companions.

Now alone with Princess Luna the Slave King felt self-conscious and began moving towards the exit for a hasty retreat. As he reached for the door, the Lord of the Earth felt trepidation in leaving the room as the overwhelming need to say something, anything about what they had just shared together washed over him.

“Slave King, we…” Princess Luna said from behind him.

“There’s nothing more to say,” the Slave King curtly replied, desperate to escape the princess before giving into temptation and speaking with her about what had just happened between them.

“We wanted to thank thee for allowing us to help heal him,” Princess Luna said, pawing at the ground nervously with her hoof.

“It was what the minotaur willed,” the Slave King brusquely said, still unwilling to look her in the eye. “I take it you ensured none of my corruption has tainted his soul?”

“Verily,” Princess Luna replied, her demeanor relaxing as their conversation progressed, “his heart is still as pure as the driven snow.”

“Princess Luna I have a question for you…” the Slave King said, drawing close to the princess before being interrupted as the antechamber’s door was opened by Arch Duke Fifi le Yipyap.

When the arch duke entered the room, both Princess Luna and the Slave King moved apart. Looking at the two deities, Yipyap raised his right eyebrow before bowing. “My king, forgive my intrusion, but your other guests are getting restless, and Lord Ouroboros is becoming obnoxiously loud.”

“Thank you arch duke,” the Slave King said, feeling both annoyed and relieved that he’d been interrupted before he could ask his question. “Advise my guests that I shall be joining them again shortly.”

“As you wish, My Lord,” the arch duke said, bowing curtly before exiting the room.

Before he could leave, Princess Luna walked over to the Slave King and looked up at him inquisitively, “What was thy question?” she asked, staring at him with her cyan eyes.

“It matters not…” the Slave King murmured, using his heavy crown to protect him from her prying eyes. Exiting the antechamber, he headed towards his throne room and away from the newfound hunger that the princess had foisted upon him.

When she saw the Slave King leaving, Princess Luna placed a hoof against her muzzle in silent contemplation. “Now what could have gotten under his skin?” she asked herself, puzzled about his sudden change in behavior while savoring the fragrance of fresh apples blossoms that now mysteriously filled the air.

*****

Slick pried a large fire emerald free from the wall and began thoughtfully chewing on it. When the other members of the party gave him dirty looks he shrugged his shoulders and helped himself to few tasty looking rubies that formed the fires of some ancient frieze adorning the wall. “What?” he asked, as bits of gemstones fell from his mouth. “The Slave King said to help ourselves, and I intend to.”

“Slick darling,” Showboat pointedly said, pointing her hoof towards the large gaps in the frieze caused by the young dragon’s hunger. “I don’t think the Slave King was intending for you to deface his home.”

“Oh please,” Slick replied, pointing a claw towards an open window that showed the ruined city outside, “as if he cares, this place is a dump. Besides once he completes the renewal of the Earth ceremony he’ll have plenty of gemstones to replace the few I enjoyed.”

Looking around for anyscale to support his spurious argument, he walked towards Seafoam and saw that the seapony was worriedly pacing back and forth along the length of the hallway. The dragon thought if the seapony hadn’t been floating in his magical bubble he would have probably worn a grove into the smooth stone floor of the hallway by now. “Hey Seafoam, you agree with me don’t you?” Slick asked, hopeful that his friend would agree with him.

Lost in thought, Seafoam looked up at Slick momentarily before resuming his pacing. Absentmindedly the seapony rubbed his fins together, seemingly lost to the world.

“Oh don’t mind him,” Slick heard a jovial voice say as he felt a heavy hand rest on his shoulder. “Seafoam always gets like this when he’s worried about something.”

Looking up Slick saw to his surprise a strong and hearty looking Sir Stouthorn’s grinning face looking down at him, a far cry from what he looked like less than twenty minutes ago.

Immediately everyone in the room dropped what they were doing and excitedly crowded around the knight of the Lawgiver asking him about his miraculous recovery. “Oh now that’s a funny story, I was ack…” Sir Stouthorn cried as he felt the fins of his protégé wrapping tightly around his waist nearly knocking the wind out of him.

“Master I was so afraid you were going to die,” Seafoam said, while his reddened eyes threatened to release a torrent of worry and guilt.

Sir Stouthorn looked down at his page before slowly returning the embrace, “Lad, sorry for worrying you so,” he said, giving his page a reassuring pat on the back. “Now I hear that Lord Ouroboros has made the long trip from the Firehold, it would be a real shame if he made the journey for nothing. Let’s not keep him waiting any longer.”

Seafoam rubbed his red eyes against his tunic and gave his liege a huge grin, “Yes, Sir Stouthorn,” he said jubilantly. “If you’ve not picked a second yet, allow me the honor.”

Sir Stouthorn gave his page a thoughtful look, “Well I believe that choice would be up to the Slave King since it’s his duel after all.”

“Then I shall ask him,” Seafoam said, checking the straps that held his trident in place before heading towards the Slave King’s throne room.

When the old knight saw the fire of burning desire that his protégé held for their quest, he felt a solitary tear of pride wetting the fur on his face. “Seafoam the Virtuous you shall surpass me…” Sir Stouthorn said to himself before following after the seapony.

*****

High above the Equestrian Badlands, the Fire Tyrant beat his massive wings as he circled over the broken ruins of the Diamond Vale. The mighty beast’s stomach rumbled greedily as he thought about all the plunder that the ruined city had to offer. Looking down at the dead city that was nearly as silent as its master, Lord Ouroboros opened his massive jaws and spewed forth a jet of flames intense enough to melt stone. Beneath him his entire flight of dragons were already attentively waiting for the manthing to answer his challenge. Releasing a mighty roar, the dragon scowled when he challenges remained unanswered by the so called Slave King. The insect hadn’t even bothered to throw stones at him this time!

Normally Lord Ouroboros would’ve landed in front of the gates and beaten them down with a few well-placed strikes from his tail. However with his current disability, even touching the ground ever so slightly would cause the vengeful Earth to rapidly drain him of his strength. The Lord of Fire felt his frustrations at being ignored welling up inside him and threatening to burst forth like an erupting volcano. He would crush the godling for this insult.

“Lord Ouroboros you must be cautious…” a voice whispered from the recesses of the Fire Tyrant’s mind.

“Who dares speak to the Lord of Fire unbidden?” Lord Ouroboros said, enraged that some insignificant bug would dare speak to him without permission.

“One who would see you be victorious today,” the voice replied, causing the dragon to feel an unpleasant thrumming in the back of his mind.

“Who are you, to think that you could possibly offer me any assistance?” Lord Ouroboros said, spewing forth a jet of flame hotter than Celestia’s sun at the lava dome of the city below. “I am Ouroboros the mightiest of all creation! I kill when I wish. I am strong, strong, strong! My scales are mightier than any shield, my teeth sharper than any sword, my claws deadlier than any spear. The shock from my tail breaks the earth, a flap from my wings clears the skies, and my breath brings ruin.”

“Yet here you are Lord Ouroboros,” the voiced said, mocking the Fire Tyrant for his supposed superiority, “Your children starve, your hoard diminishes daily, and you can’t even touch the ground for fear of incurring the Slave King’s wrath. Who I am is not important, what I offer you is.”

“So what aid do you offer me?” Lord Ouroboros replied sarcastically, willing to humor the voice in the off chance that it might offer him something to use against his hated foe.

“I offer you the means to ensure your victory, but in exchange you must throw the Slave King’s newest creation into the pit,” the voice said.

“Just what is his newest creation?” Lord Ouroboros asked, as he weighed what the stranger was offering him.

“A simple trinket, nothing more,” the voice whispered. “So Lord Ouroboros, do we have a deal?”

“What do you offer me in exchange for destroying it?” Lord Ouroboros asked, entirely sure that the voice was unable to keep its end of the bargain.

“A fruit from the Yggdrasil,” the voice explained, “consume it, and become invulnerable from harm.”

“Do you think me a newly hatched whelp?” Lord Ouroboros growled. “There are none left. They were all destroyed in the first age. I should know, I burned the Yggdrasil to ashes myself.”

“True,” the voice said, conceding the dragon’s point, “but there yet remains one fruit to be had.”

“Show me the fruit and I will agree to your terms,” Lord Ouroboros said.

“Stretch out your claw,” the voice instructed, “and you shall receive it.”

Stretching out his claw, Lord Ouroboros looked down expectantly and raised his scaly brow when he saw the tiny golden fruit of the Yggdrasil between his massive claws. Drawing a deep breath, the dragon inhaled the intoxicating aroma of the fruit through his nostrils. “Without a second thought he threw the fruit into his mouth crushing it between his sharp teeth. Instantly, Lord Ouroboros felt power rushing through his body. Flush with power, he cautiously landed and was delighted to feel nothing as the Earth tried sapping his strength in vain. “Wretched manthing,” he bellowed, "no longer can you attack me with impunity. Today you will meet you end!”

Eager to unleash the rage that he’d been forced to restrain, the Fire Tyrant lifted his tail in preparation to knock the massive stone doors free from their hinges. Before he could strike, the doors opened revealing the diminutive form of Arch Duke Fifi le Yipyap.

With a curt bow the arch duke gestured towards the open door, “Lord Ouroboros,” he said, “the Slave King bids you welcome into his domain.”

“What is this?” Lord Ouroboros growled, angry that he hadn’t gotten a chance to destroy anything yet.

“My master felt it would be prudent to discuss the terms of your duel before it begins, to avoid any unnecessary complications,” the arch duke explained. “Follow me and you can discuss them with him.”

“Very well,” Lord Ouroboros rumbled in agreement, following after the arch duke. “Whether I kill him now or later it makes little difference to me.”

As the dragon disappeared into the shadows, a dark chuckle echoed unheard through the sky above the Diamond vale.

*****

Lady Zephyr looked at her friend and saw the palpable hate emanating from the death glare that Lady Suzaku was giving Lord Ouroboros. She was sure that if this had been anyplace else, the phoenix would have leapt at the Fire Tyrant to attack him. Whether he cared about their presence or not she couldn’t say, the dragon’s face failed to reveal the slightest hint of emotion. Given how adamant he had asked for her to not get involved, and how much trouble he had gone to keep the rest of the pantheon away from here the griffin was surprised by how nonchalantly he was acting.

Though he could be charming when he desired, the Lord of Fire could be absolutely frightening as well. Where even other members of the pantheon might have shown some concern, Lady Zephyr was both impressed and amazed by how unfazed the Slave King seemed to be as he staring down at Lord Ouroboros. Seeing the Lord of Earth fully in control of his element and power sent a shiver of excitement running up her spine and out into her wings. Like her beloved Darkpaw before him, the Slave King knew no fear and wouldn’t back down from any challenger.

Seeing the Slave King and Lord Ouroboros staring unblinkingly at each other, filled the griffin with desire that made her wings threaten to extend themselves. Seeing her peers engaged in their mental battle, Lady Zephyr’s tail flicked back and forth in time to some unknown beat. Looking at the other deities in the room, she saw apprehension on both Lord Triton’s and Lord Cerynitis’s muzzles while Princess Luna and Celestia wore a surprising look of concern for the Slave King of all feathers!

Lady Zephyr would have asked Lady Suzaku about the two princesses, but the booming voice of Lord Ouroboros broke the silence before she had the chance. “So King,” he said, “I see you’ve assembled a majority of the pantheon to witness your defeat.”

“Lord Ouroboros, I give you one last opportunity to return to me that which is mine,” The Slave King said, his voice as cold as the Lord of Winter’s domain.

“Never!” Lord Ouroboros roared. “You brought this calamity upon yourself. Your actions against my domain can only be resolved by bloodshed.”

Princess Celestia’s horn flared as she reared up on her hind legs, filling the chamber with light. “I won’t allow this meaningless violence to continue!” she said, lowering her horn at Lord Ouroboros.

“So manthing, hiding behind Celestia’s tail in hopes of being spared?” Lord Ouroboros mocked, before turning one of his burning eyes defiantly towards the alicorn. “Celestia, this matter is none of your concern.”

“Show thy respect to the head of the pantheon,” Princess Luna said, stamping her hoof in righteous indignation. “Wouldst thou cast aside a chance for lasting peace to satisfy thy puffed up pride?”

“Beguiling both Luna and Celestia to bend to your whims?” Lord Ouroboros said, pointing an accusatory claw in the Slave King’s direction. “I wonder which of them you managed to mount first. Regardless, they won’t be able to save you this time.”

“Thou cur, thy lascivious insinuations of carnal lust is beyond the pale!” Princess Luna shouted while flaring her nostrils angrily at Lord Ouroboros’s slander flushing her cheeks with embarrassment.

Celestia pressed her head down against her sister’s dark coat, attempting to calm her down. Turning towards Lord Ouroboros, Celestia folded back her ears and looked up at him. “Perhaps the Slave King is our mate, would you then risk facing the three of us together?” she said as everyone in the room gasped in surprise at the revelation.

Lord Ouroboros, unprepared for this new information glared down at Celestia and growled. “Your marital status is irrelevant,” he said, thrumming his claws against the ground, “I challenged the Slave King to a duel and he accepted.”

“Is this true?” Lord Cerynitis asked in disbelief.

“Yes,” the Slave King replied, “Lord Ouroboros challenged me to a duel and I agreed to face him in battle.”

“That wasn’t what I meant…” Lord Cerynitis muttered, clearly disappointed he didn’t learn the truth behind the accusation.

“Well then it’s settled,” Lord Triton said, pointing a fin towards Princess Celestia. “The Slave King must face Lord Ouroboros in battle. It’s now a matter of honor.”

“Honestly Lord Triton, do be reasonable,” Princess Celestia said, shaking her mane in exasperation. “With all four prime elements here, we can call a moot and put an end to all of this before somepony gets hurt.”

“Princess Celestia, I’m afraid I must agree with Lord Triton,” Lord Cerynitis said, walking towards the middle of the room and causing the silver bells of his battle harness chime. “Matters of honor must be resolved between bucks. Their does may watch, but not interfere.”

“What sayest thou Lady Zephyr and Lady Suzaku?” Princess Luna asked, looking towards the Ladies of Air and Summer. “Both of thee are potent warriors, surely thou art incensed by this primitive and insulting rule?”

Lady Zephyr didn’t know how to respond, on the one talon she felt a burning desire to show the Slave King that she was strong, powerful, and worthy as a potential mate. But on the other talon, having Lord Ouroboros slay him would rid her of the burning desire she felt for her lover’s murderer.

Before she could answer, Lady Suzaku flashed a hateful look towards Lord Ouroboros and batted her ruby eyes at the Slave King. “Oh Luna darling, there’s nothing quite as exhilarating as watching two fine male specimens fighting each other for your attentions,” she said, flashing her beautiful plumage suggestively towards the Slave King. “My Lord, Zephy and I eagerly await your victory over that beastly slug. Once you have vanquished the dragon, perhaps we can help you celebrate your success someplace that’s much more intimate.”

“Lady Suzaku, thy advances are most unwelcome,” Princess Luna huffed, clearly annoyed at the phoenix’s attempts to seduce her supposed mate.

“Sister I had no idea you felt so strongly for him,” Princess Celestia whispered.

“We shan’t have our family’s good name sullied by impropriety,” Luna replied. “We expect our mate to carry themselves with the proper decorum whether they are real or faux.”

The Slave King looked at the arguing deities and sighed, “Lord Ouroboros I agree to face you under the original terms of our agreement,” he said, silencing the entire room. “Do you agree to abide by them?”

“Yes,” Lord Ouroboros said, trying to hide his delight.

“Very well,” the Slave King said rising up from his throne, “As agreed, the challenge shall occur at the place and by means of my choosing. We shall fight outside the city in the Howling Wastes.”

“The Howling Wastes you say, an interesting choice manthing,” Lord Ouroboros said, running his serpentine tongue over his massive teeth. “The shrieking winds there blow nonstop, making it next to impossible to hear anyscale stalking you. The billowing dust and sand reduce visibility next to nothing, and the howling winds make the blowing sand and stones cut through flesh like daggers.”

“That won’t be an issue for you now will it?” the Slave King asked the mighty dragon with a wry smile.

“Oh none at all, it will make the hunt all the more enjoyable,” Lord Ouroboros replied wearing his own eager smile.

“So be it…” the Slave King said, his brand glowing sickly green with his divine power, “I shall prepare the Howling Wastes for our confrontation.”

The Slave King’s eyes and brand flashed green causing both earth and shadow to envelop him leaving no trace behind. Lord Ouroboros chuckled to himself, “Foolish wretch, we could fight in the pit itself and I would escape unharmed,” he thought to himself darkly. Looking towards the assembled members of the pantheon, the Fire Tyrant was half tempted to slay them all where they stood. Feeling flush with power from the fruit of the Yggdrasil, the elder dragon weighed the cons and benefits of such an action in his mind.

“I must attack Celestia and Zephyr first,” he thought, planning his initial assault. Casting his gaze on the members of the pantheon he flexed the sinewy muscles in his mighty tail, and raked his claws against the stone floor of the throne room leaving behind deep gashes. “With a quick swipe of my claws and strike from my tail, I could incapacitate them both with my first attack. Then Luna, Triton, and Cerynitis should become easy prey for my flames.”

Looking darkly at Lady Suzaku, Lord Ouroboros returned her angry looks with a hateful scowl of his own. “And as for you my dear, I shall save for last,” he thought, planning her demise. “For daring to show your face to me again, I shall flay you alive and cast you screaming into the pit.”

*****

The Slave King traveled along the deep and hidden places known only to those with mastery over both Earth and Shadow. Spying a crack, the Lord of Earth followed it until he breached the surface. High overhead Celestia’s sun burned hotly, while all around him the screaming winds of the desolate place buffeted him from all angles with flying debris.

Back when he was still mortal this place would have been a death sentence, but now as the Lord of Earth the turbulent blowing sands flowed over him like a river over stones. Standing in the middle of the vast wasteland of broken earth and jutting rocks, the Slave King slowly raised both his arms. Instantly all the world fell silent as if waiting for his instructions. The brands on his shoulders flashed to life as his power made them burn like the sun overhead. Out from his brands the magical energy of the earth flowed throughout his body and out into the ground beneath his feet. Now flush with power, he closed his eyes burning with magic and reached out with his divinity towards the closest ley line feeding the Earth’s power to this place. Grasping ahold of it, he unraveled the ley line as he prepared to reshape it to his will.

Knowing all was as ready as it would ever be, the Slave King released his power like a torrent into the Earth. Lowering his arms with sharp crisp motions, like a maestro conducting a silent symphony of creation the earth beneath his feet began trembling. All around him, the earth frothed and boiled like an unattended stew attempting to escape the confines of its pot. With a horizontal sweeping motion, the earth all around him became as flat and smooth as a sheet of glass. Raising his arms high above his head and then slowly lowering them, the Earth formed a circular depression in the earth with jutting pillars of obsidian curving inwardly at regular intervals along its circumference. With several quick stabbing motions with his hands, raised platforms of polished stone pushed up out of the ground that could comfortably seat thousands. With a sweeping gesture of his arms, the head of the structure formed into a large pavilion with enough room for the pantheon in their entirety to be seated comfortably.

Opening his eyes, the Slave King surveyed his work and nodded approvingly. With a upwards motion with his right hand before dropping them down, he sent out tendrils of green pulsating energy leaving in their wake streaming black banners woven from silver, gold, and iron threads showing his brand and leaving behind braziers burning with magical green fire beneath them. Beyond the banners and braziers, the arena was bare of any iconography or statues. Only the repeated words, “Behold my works oh mighty ones, and despair” carved in relief along the top of the coliseum walls were the only markings that could be seen.

Satisfied with the arena’s construction, the Slave King released his hold on the ley line and allowed nature in its fury to resume its proper course. Immediately the howling winds resumed their assault, but as before the blowing sands flowed around the Lord of Earth and his newest creation daring not to scratch either. With his work now completed, he reentered the crack and returned back to his ruined palace leaving the arena to the howling winds.

*****

“Arch duke, I say what seems to be the hold up?” Sir Stouthorn asked Arch Duke Fifi le Yipyap as he impatiently paced the floor. “I‘m finding the wait is making me feel all antsy.”

“Minotaur,” the arch duke said dryly, giving the knight of the Lawgiver a hard look, “I’m surprised you’re so eager to face the most powerful member of the pantheon. Even with the aid the Slave King has given you, you’re in for quite a struggle.”

“I feel like I could take on the entire pantheon with my bare hands,” Sir Stouthorn replied, shaking his horns eagerly.

“Are you sure you’re up to this Sir Stouthorn?” Clover asked in concern. Ever since he had met the minotaur, Clover had never before seen him so excited.
“Yes master,” Seafoam said, agreeing with the unicorn. “You’ve always told me a proper warrior should be like the eye of a hurricane, calm and centered while the fury of battle rages all around you. I’ve never seen you so eager to fight.”

“I’m sorry Seafoam,” Sir Stouthorn said, trying his best to regain his composure. “It must be the bloodrage trying to take a hold of me. I was always rather hotheaded in my youth.”

“You a hothead?” Shaw asked with a smirk.

“Yes,” Sir Stouthorn said, stroking his mustache, “it appears that whatever magics the Slave King and Princess Luna used on me, at least temporarily granted me my youth once again.”

“But what about after the battle,” Slick asked, while sucking on a diamond, “you think your hair will go all grey again?”

“Slick, how rude,” Showboat said, looking at the dragon disapprovingly. “Darling, surely it’s not just temporary.”

“I’m no expert at magic,” Sir Stouthorn said, running his fingers through his mane, “but I feel like I’m being sustained somehow. And the Slave King doesn’t strike as sometaurus who would give me youth indefinitely from the bottom of his heart.”

“Indeed minotaur,” the arch duke said, pointing to the brand on his leg. “The Slave King’s gifts always come with a price. The brand links you to him, marking you as his property.”

“Then I count myself lucky I was spared his brand,” Sir Stouthorn replied. “Perhaps I have Princess Luna to thank.”

The arch duke looked enviously at the minotaur while remembering how painful his last meeting with Slave King had been. “I think I’ll see what’s taking so long,” he said while rubbing his brand absentmindedly.

Once the arch duke had left the room Shaw poked his head out the door to see if the coast was clear, only to see Nightmare’s eyes glowering at him from the shadows. “Alright, it’s all clear except for miss dark, silent, and gruesome out there,” he said, pointing a talon towards the door.

“Shaw, please don’t antagonize her,” Showboat said, chiding her lover as she pressed her head against his side. “According to Clover, she made even Scourge feel nervous.”

“So Sir Stouthorn,” Clover said, activating his magic and probing the minotaur, “you say Princess Luna helped heal you.”

“Yeah lad, it was the most peculiar thing too,” Sir Stouthorn said, placing a finger against his muzzle. “It was nothing like any other magic I’d ever experienced before.”

“Well as far as I can tell, you’re not being sustained by either Earth or Lunar magic,” Clover replied after having used his magic to scan him. “But something is definitely sustaining you.”

“So will Sir Stouthorn be well enough to duel Lord Ouroboros?” Seafoam asked, checking his armor for battle readiness. “If not master, I’m prepared to go in your stead.”

“I’m sorry everypony, this is magic that’s beyond my knowledge,” Clover said shrugging his shoulders in defeat. "Perhaps if my master Starswirl the Bearded was here he could tell you more. All I know is an outside source is powering the magic that’s flowing through him and it could stop at any time.”

“All I need to know is will it at least last the day?” Sir Stouthorn asked, his eyes looking down at The Vendetta as he adjusted its straps.

“I believe so,” Clover replied.

“Then that’s all I need to know,” Sir Stouthorn said, sitting down in a nearby chair and folding his arms as he waited impatiently for the arch duke’s return.

“It’s time now,” the arch duke said, opening the door and motioning for the party to follow him into the throne room.

Now fully prepared for whatever the immediate future might hold, Sir Stouthorn got up and walked confidently towards Lord Ouroboros and his destiny.

*****

“How much longer are you going to stall the inevitable for?” Lord Ouroboros rumbled, furious that these negotiations had taken nearly an hour and he had yet to throw a single blow at his enemy.

The Slave King sat patiently on his stone throne as Nightmare paced back and forth from behind, giving each of the deities, especially Princess Luna the evil eye. Snapping his fingers, he called his servant to his side. “My apologies everyone, Nightmare isn’t used to so many others being in such close proximity to me,” the Slave King said. Turning towards Lord Ouroboros, he placed a finger to his chin. “Perhaps while we wait we can finish discussing the terms of our duel.”

“Fine by me,” Lord Ouroboros said, annoyed by how long such a simple task was taking. “This will be a duel to the death.”

“If that is your desire Lord Ouroboros,” the Slave King said, “however, I reserve the right to stay my hand and claim victory if you yield.”

“I accept,” Lord Ouroboros said, sneering at the ridiculous notion that he would ever be in a position to beg for his life from this bug. “There’s also the matter of rite by conquest to discuss.”

Lord Triton narrowed his eyes, giving the great dragon a flinty look. “Slaying each other in combat is one thing,” he said, stroking his mustache, “but claiming a domain by rite of conquest is another matter altogether.”

“That’s correct Lord Ouroboros,” Lord Cerynitis agreed, “the right of succession in case of the Slave King’s demise is a matter to be determined by the pantheon in its entirety, not by some ungainly brawl.”

“The original terms of this duel state that it’s to be fought at the time and place of my choosing,” the Slave King said tapping his fingers against his throne’s armrest, “but the stakes would be for the challenger to choose.”

“Yes they were,” Lord Ouroboros said, wearing a cruel smile. “And didn’t the both of you say this challenge was now a matter of honor?”

“Very well then,” Lord Triton sighed, annoyed that his own laws were being used against him. “May the pit take you Lord Ouroboros, but mark my words a moot will be held once this duel is finished.”

“The final point that needs to be covered is the small issue of means,” the Slave King said, nodding towards Arch Duke Fifi le Yipyap.

Out from a side corridor wearing the armor, anklets, and The Vendetta on his right hand walked Sir Stouthorn followed closely by his companions. The Slave King gave Lord Ouroboros a dark look from beneath his iron crown and motioned for the minotaur to approach his stone throne. “Lord Ouroboros I present to you Sir Stouthorn, my means,” he said.

“What is the meaning of this?” Lord Ouroboros snarled, his voice laced with venom. “Do you think me so weak that you refuse to fight me yourself? Or are you some coward, thinking to hide behind a mortal to protect you from harm?”

“Lord Ouroboros if you’re concerned for your safety…” the Slave King said, taunting the Fire Tyrant, “I’m sure one of your dragons might be willing to fight in your stead. There’s no shame in admitting your cowardice in facing a mortal after all.”

“This is quite irregular,” Lord Triton said, pointing a fin towards the Slave King. “The rules of honor are very specific regarding duels. Furthermore…”

“Furthermore nothing,” the Slave King said, interrupting the Lord of Water. “Lord Ouroboros already agreed to this duel under its original terms, and one of the terms was I could face him with whatever means I choose.”

Lord Triton opened his mouth to protest, but then realizing the Slave King was within his legal rights closed his muzzle. “Very well, although this breaks the spirit of the law,” he said, “it’s within the letter.”

Lord Ouroboros incensed at how he was being treated, lowered his head to within inches of the Slave King’s iron crown. “Mark my word human,” he said, flaring his nostrils angrily, “Once I’ve made short work of your champion, I shall devour you.”

“You may try whatever you wish,” the Slave King retorted, staring Lord Ouroboros in the eye. “But when my champion has defeated you, let all Equestria know that it was a mere mortal that bested you.”

“Enough of your prattling,” Lord Ouroboros spat, enraged that the Slave King would dare insult him so in front of a majority of the pantheon. “Manthing, we shall see you and your champion on the field.”

With a mighty roar Lord Ouroboros lifted his head towards the sky, expelling a large jet of flame that swirled down engulfing his body leaving behind only the scent of smoke and brimstone.

The Slave King turned towards the remaining members of the pantheon, “I invite you to witness the defeat of Lord Ouroboros on the Howling Plains if you wish,” he said, lifting his hand towards a tunnel that was opening itself up. “Lord Triton and Lord Cerynitis your armies are invited to watch the spectacle as well if you wish.”

“A massacre you mean,” Lord Triton replied, biting his lip in annoyance. “Using one of my knights for something so craven is despicable.”

“Surely you must hold the minotaur in greater esteem then that…” the Slave King countered. “Did he not best your champion, and embarrass you in front of your people?”

“Slave King I would watch your tongue, if I were you,” Lord Cerynitis said, shaking his antlers in anger. “Just because you managed to bait Lord Ouroboros and escape unscathed, doesn’t mean the rest of us will allow such discourtesy to go unchallenged.”

“My apologies then,” the Slave King said drolly, “I meant no disrespect to the mighty Lord Triton, who braved the badlands and thought to challenge me so far from his own domain. But the invitation still stands if you wish your people to watch, the Howling Wastes will allow them safe passage.”

The Slave King stood up and raised his hand expectantly, towards Princess Celestia and Luna. Raising her right eyebrow inquisitively, she slowly approached him. “Slave King?” she asked, unsure of his intentions.

“Wife, would it not be unseemly for your husband to not accompany you?” the Slave King dryly said, before turning towards Princess Luna. “After all, we must at least keep up the facade for appearances sake.”

“He does have a point mine sister,” Princess Luna agreed, trotting up beside him. “Come my husband, let us cheer for our champion.”

Celestia shook her head at the sheer ridiculousness of the sight, as she walked besides the pair. As they disappeared into the shadows of the tunnel, Nightmare bore her teeth and cast a hateful gaze at the two alicorns who dared touch her master. With a silent growl she silently stalked after them.

“Damn it, those two worked fast,” Lady Suzaku muttered to Lady Zephyr. “Zephy, do you think they might be willing to share him?”

“Zuzu, don’t be ridiculous,” Lady Zephyr replied, feeling slightly upset that Princess Luna was accompanying the Slave King to view the battle instead of her. “The Slave King and Princess Luna despise each other. There’s no way they would ever get together. They are just playing along with Princess Celestia’s attempt to prevent bloodshed.”

“I don’t know Zephy,” Lady Suzaku said, placing a feather to her beak. “You and Lord Darkpaw used to bitterly fight all the time, and look how you two ended up together.”

Lady Zephyr despondently sighed. Looking up at the grinning skull of Lord Darkpaw above the Slave King’s throne reminded her of how much she truly missed him. Seeing her friends sorrow, Lady Suzaku draped a wing around Lady Zephyr and hugged her. “Come on now,” she said with a warm smile. “Let’s go watch the fight Zephy. I get the feeling that the Slave King wouldn’t pit a mortal up against Lord Ouroboros unless he managed to even the odds somehow.”

“Alright Zuzu,” Lady Zephyr agreed as they took to the air and flew down the tunnel together.

Lord Triton floated over towards Sir Stouthorn, and looked down at him. “Sir Stouthorn, I see you’re quest has treated you well so far,” he said, noticing how much younger the minotaur looked now.

Sir Stouthorn knelt down and bowed his head reverently. “Lord Triton,” he solemnly said. “Please forgive me for my hasty retreat at Marelantis. But time was of the essence, and my companions were counting on me to retrieve the pearl.”

“Well I can’t say I’m happy that you’ve aided the Slave King as you have,” Lord Triton replied, “But very few can say they their quests could lead to something of this magnitude. Clearly greater powers are at work here. You did the right thing in seeing the quest through to the end. My knights and I shall cheer for you, go with my blessing and bring honor to the order.”

“Of course my liege,” Sir Stouthorn said as he stood up and walked down the passage. As the rest of his companions followed after him, Seafoam turned to face Lord Triton and bowed respectfully before following after his master into the darkness of the tunnel.

“Shall I tell my master you plan on attending?” Arch Duke Fifi le Yipyap asked.

“Yes, I’ll instruct our ponies and deer to proceed south,” Lord Triton said.

“Very well,” the arch duke said, bowing curtly before entering the tunnel to attend to his master.

Now all alone, Lord Triton turned towards Sir Tsunami and Sir Storm breaker both of whom had been completely silent during the entire meeting. “I want you two to tell the army to march south towards the Howling Wastes,” he said. “Advise them to not worry about the blowing sands, the Slave King has promised us safe passage.”

“Tell Sir Blitzer to expect dragons,” Lord Cerynitis added. “Advise them that they are not to engage them unless they prove hostile.”

“As you wish Lords Triton and Cerynitis,” Sir Tsunami said, before leaving with his fellow knight to relay the orders.

“So you think your minotaur stands a chance?” Lord Cerynitis asked.

“Not in the slightest,” Lord Triton said, resigned to the fact that losing Sir Stouthorn was inevitable. “Even the two of us might have troubles facing Lord Ouroboros. What chance is there for a mere mortal to survive?”

“Indeed,” Lord Cerynitis replied, “such is the fate of mortals who choose to meddle in the affairs of the gods.”

“But it grieves me to lose him to a fight he’s clearly outmatched for,” Lord Triton said entering the tunnel. “The Slave King has much to answer for.”

“To that my friend, we can both agree,” Lord Cerynitis said, following after the Lord of Water.

*****

The harsh light of the badlands nearly blinded them as they exited the tunnel. Looking up, Sir Stouthorn marveled at the size of the massive arena. “Incredible,” he said, appreciating the design of the coliseum. “It’s not every day you have an arena built just for you.”

“You could seat thousands in here,” Clover remarked.

“What you think that means?” Shanks asked, looking at the repeating words all along the top of the arena.

“Behold my works oh mighty ones, and despair,” Showboat read, wrinkling her nose as she tried deciphering its meaning.

“It’s obviously a dig against Lord Ouroboros,” Slick said, pointing out the obvious.

“No it’s much more than that,” Clover said, "I think it must be a warning to the entire pantheon.

“What do you mean?” Seafoam asked.

“Just think about it,” Shaw said, pointing towards The Vendetta. “The creation of The Vendetta, how Sir Stouthorn has been tasked with only removing Lord Ouroboros’s left eye, and gathering so many members of the pantheon to witness it. I think the Slave King hopes to use us to impress upon his fellow gods that even facing one of their number is beneath him.”

“I think it might have a deeper meaning then even that,” Clover said, “the Slave King told me to beware of hubris.”

“It’s time now,” the arch duke said. “Minotaur, are you ready to fight on behalf of the Slave King?”

“Yes,” Sir Stouthorn said.

“Then follow me,” the arch duke replied, pointing towards a set of stairs.

“Good luck!” Showboat said, kissing Sir Stouthorn on the cheek.

Sir Stouthorn’s face turned red as he kissed her hoof in return. “Shaw," he said, “you’d better treat her right.”

“Yes of course I will,” Shaw replied. “You know I expect you to clobber Lord Ouroboros real good.”

“I’ll sock him once real good for you Shaw,” Sir Stouthorn replied, before turning to Slick. “Slick, if you ever find yourself in need of some honest work Seafoam could use a traveling companion for his future quests.”

“I’ll keep that in mind Sir Stouthorn,” Slick replied, “but somehow I don’t think he’ll let me cheat at cards.”

Sir Stouthorn let out a boisterous laugh, and handed the dragon small bag of gems. “Something to enjoy as you watch today's fight.”

Slick handed the minotaur a light blue scale, “It’s for luck,” he said, “not that you’d ever need it. But you never know.”

“I’ll proudly carry it into battle with me,” Sir Stouthorn said before kneeling down and scratching Shanks behind the ear. “Shanks make sure you watch their backs while I’m gone.”

“Aroo,” Shanks howled, “mister sir. Me not let anything bad happen to anyhound. Me make sure we all be safe.”

“I know you will lad. I know you will,” Sir Stouthorn said, standing up and then pulling back the brim of Clover’s hat that had fallen down. “Clover it’s been a privilege having you at my side, just remember no matter what you’re part of your master’s legacy.”

“Yes Sir Stouthorn, I will,” Clover promised, trying his best to put on a brave face. “I’ll be rooting for you. We all will.”

“Clover, I’m looking forward to telling you the tale of how I entered Lord Triton’s service over some ale tonight,” Sir Stouthorn said, shaking the unicorn’s hoof firmly before turning to face Seafoam.

“Sir Stouthorn I…” Seafoam stammered, before the minotaur embraced the seapony.

“Lad, I know,” Sir Stouthorn said, looking down at his page. “You’ll do me proud and surpass me.”

Seafoam withdrew his trident and crisply saluted Sir Stouthorn. “For the Lawgiver,” he said, standing proud and tall.

“For the Lawgiver,” Sir Stouthorn answered, before heading down the stairs.

“I take it minotaur, you said your last goodbyes?” the arch duke asked, as he led Sir Stouthorn down the stairs and towards a waiting gate.

“You know arch duke, I pity you,” Sir Stouthorn said, checking his armor, anklets, and The Vendetta.

“Why is that minotaur,” the arch duke said sniffing his nose with disdain, offended that anyhound would think him pitiable.

“Because you’ll never experience the joy of true friendship,” Sir Stouthorn replied.

“You can keep your friendship,” the arch duke replied. “But my master bids you to remember that you’re only to take Lord Ouroboros’s left eye, nothing more.”

“You can tell the Slave King that Lord Ouroboros will not die by my hand today,” Sir Stouthorn said, activating his armor to cover him completely.

“I will, and minotaur…” the arch duke said.

“Yes, what is it?” Sir Stouthorn replied.

“Good luck,” the arch duke said, before exiting the room and leaving Sir Stouthorn alone.

Lowering his head, Sir Stouthorn uttered a silent prayer that his friends would be alright and steeled himself to face his destiny.

*****

Sitting high above the arena sat the Slave King and his two ‘wives’, Princesses Celestia and Luna. Sitting lost in thought, he nodded in approval when he saw the seaponies, deer, and dragons taking their seats to watch the carnage. To his surprise there were even some diamond dogs in attendance. “So husband,” Princess Luna said, interrupting his thoughts, “pray tell, what is thy true intentions regarding all of this.”

“Well wife,” the Slave King said sardonically, “imagine to my surprise when I discovered that I have not one, but two wives. Neither of whom I can ever recall as having neither wooed nor married. But I suppose it would be improper of me to call into question the validity of your claims over me without giving you chance.”

“Twas not my meaning husband and thou knowest it,” Princess Luna said, giving the Slave King a dark scowl.

“I’m sorry Slave King,” Princess Celestia said, “but I felt that Lord Ouroboros might reconsider his assault if he had to face the three of us.”

Casting a cautious look at the Princess, the Slave King nodded his head slightly, “Wife, I neither need nor desire your aid in this regard. But that being said you did cast your lot in with mine, the Earth will remember your people in their time of need.”

“Perhaps renewing the Earth would be good way to show your sincerity,” Princess Celestia said.

“In its time yes,” the Slave King agreed. “Once the moot has been called I shall address the matter.”

“Why dost thou stall husband?” Princess Luna retorted. “Surely thou knowest that perchance Lord Ouroboros defeats thy champion, thy life be forfeit. Renewing the Earth wouldst scarcely be his foremost desire.”

“Wife, know your place,” the Slave King replied. “Follow your sister’s example of quiet devotion.”

Princess Luna scowled and said nothing, while Princess Celestia rolled her eyes at both of their antics. “Really the both of you are taking this way too far,” she said.

Before the Slave King could respond, the sky turned crimson as a pillar of fire descended from the heavens before extinguishing itself to reveal the mighty Lord Ouroboros in all his magnificence. Spying his enemy sitting among the other members of the pantheon, he raised one of his mighty claws and roared shaking the earth for miles.

“Everyscale,” Lord Ouroboros roared, pointing towards the Slave King, “behold the coward who hides behind a mortal in order to avoid facing me. See the monster that has slowly starved you all in his stubborn refusal to tend to his responsibilities. Gaze upon the tyrant that has defied the will of the pantheon, and refused to face judgment for his crimes. Finally, witness his ignominious end and rejoice as I renew the Earth in his stead!”

After Lord Ouroboros finished his rousing speech, the arena burst into a frenzy of cheers as the dragons echoed their lord’s sentiments.

“What do you say manthing?” Lord Ouroboros said, flaring out his wings.

The Slave King stood up and pointed his finger back at Lord Ouroboros. “Remember you brought this ruin upon yourself,” he said, as the arena amplified his voice so everyone present could hear him clearly. “When this day is through all will know the price you paid for your folly.”

“Bring forth your champion so I may slay him and then you in turn,” Lord Ouroboros coldly said.

In response a small gate opened up and out stepped Sir Stouthorn who looked positively tiny compared to the monstrous bulk of Lord Ouroboros. Seeing Princess Luna, he briefly bowed his head, saluted her with The Vendetta, and turned to face the Fire Tyrant. The Vendetta was currently in the shape of his axe, and he held it at the ready.

“Foolish mortal a pity you’ve come all this way only to die now by my claw,” Lord Ouroboros said, shaking his head. “I’m not without mercy, submit and I’ll make it quick and painless.”

Sir Stouthorn said nothing, but instead motioned with his axe that he was ready to fight the Lord of Fire.

Enraged at being mocked by his opponent, Lord Ouroboros reared back his head and inhaled deeply. Moments later he released a torrent of flame at the knight of the Lawgiver that turned the stone at his feet molten. Feeling no joy at this hollow victory, he addressed the crowd. “See the coward, sending mortals out to die,” he said. “His champion had more courage than he shall ever possess.”

“Lord Ouroboros, don’t celebrate your victory just yet. You’ve yet to scratch me,” Sir Stouthorn shouted for the entire arena to hear.

When everyone present saw that the Slave King’s champion was still alive, they fell silent shocked that such a feat was possible.

“What trickery is this?” Lord Ouroboros demanded, flabbergasted that the minotaur was still alive. “Nothing living can withstand my flames!”

“But here I am all the same,” Sir Stouthorn retorted.

“Perhaps you have some unknown defense against my flames, but my claws, teeth, and tail is all the more deadly,” Lord Ouroboros boasted. “Come let us see you if you can avoid them.”

Sir Stouthorn said nothing, but once again motioned with his axe that he was ready. Lord Ouroboros lifted his tail slamming it into the stone floor as hard as he could, causing the entire arena to shake greatly.

Lord Ouroboros ran towards the broken stone and rooted through the rubble with his claws looking for the smeared remains of Sir Stouthorn, but found nothing.

“Lord Ouroboros I’m not down there,” Sir Stouthorn whispered into the dragons left ear.

In response, Lord Ouroboros slammed his claw against his head in order to capture the minotaur, but ended up only hitting himself instead with such force that his head slammed against the arena floor right as his opponent jumped out of the way. Opening his burning eyes, the dragon roared once and launched himself into the sky launching debris everywhere.

“Mortal, I congratulate you,” Lord Ouroboros rumbled, looking down at Sir Stouthorn. “It’s not often that I’ve faced a foe that could withstand my flame, claws, and tail. But I wonder if you you’re any match for my wings?”

“There’s only one way to find out Lord Ouroboros,” Sir Stouthorn replied, running towards the mighty beast.

Lord Ouroboros, seeing his opponent run towards him, flapped his wings sending a whirlwind towards Sir Stouthorn that lifted him high up into the stratosphere.

“Slave King I must commend you on providing me such a worthy opponent,” Lord Ouroboros said, wearing a wicked smile, “but he was found wanting. Come and die with dignity, or run like a frightened rabbit it makes no difference to me.”

The Slave King’s laughter boomed throughout the arena as he pointed towards Celestia’s sun overhead. Looking up, all Lord Ouroboros could see was the black shadow of Sir Stouthorn flying towards him at breakneck speed with his ax raised. Moments later the minotaur’s axe impacted with the dragons head, resulting in a shock wave that knocked down all the mortal spectators.

The force of the impact was so great that is had slammed Lord Ouroboros’s head against the broken stone of the arena floor leaving a deep indentation behind. The dragon enraged and confused, shook his head once trying to figure out how his opponent had managed to attack him. Looking up he found his answer, hovering above his head was the minotaur flittering about like a humming bird and holding his axe at the ready preparing to launch another strike.

Lord Ouroboros counted himself lucky that he had consumed the fruit of Yggdrasil earlier, had he not that last blow would have probably rendered him unconscious and at the Slave King’s mercy.

“Have you nothing to say Lord Ouroboros?” the Slave King asked. “I believe another blow like that should just about put you out of commission.”

“Foolish insect,” Lord Ouroboros spat, “No weapon made can pierce my scales. I’m invulnerable.”

In response to his claim, Sir Stouthorn reformed The Vendetta into a lightning tipped lance that crackled with blue electricity and launched himself at the Lord of Fire. Lord Ouroboros leapt forward with claws extended hoping to grab the knight and crush him, but found that the minotaur was too agile. Instead, he felt The Vendetta piercing his scales leaving a deep gash on his left shoulder. Turning his neck to inspect the wound, he was pleased to see it was only superficial. The lance had only managed to pierce through his older scales and hadn’t managed to pierce any of the newer ones.

Without the aid of the fruit of the Yggdrasil, that last attack would have most likely disabled his left forearm and wing. Realizing that though his foe had a weapon of great power, he determined that it was unable to pierce his flesh. Taking advantage of the knowledge, Lord Ouroboros intentionally let his guard down allowing Sir Stouthorn to get close.

Halfheartedly Lord Ouroboros batted at his foe, feigning that the wound he suffered was much greater than it was. Slowly he battled against Sir Stouthorn, biting at him as he parried the weapon strikes. The Lord of Fire was impressed. The Slave King would have surely defeated him if he hadn’t received some outside assistance of his own. His opponent was getting bolder now, the weapon in his hand was changing with each strike. He would add it and the other treasures the minotaur wore to his hoard, proving his invulnerable might to all.

His opponent was starting to weary of the battle now, the strikes were more precise and attempting to force him into a vulnerable position. Not wanting to disappoint his opponent, the mighty beast allowed himself to be directed by the attacks. When the would be final blow landed, Lord Ouroboros roared as if it was his last and fell to the ground seemingly defeated. Shallowly breathing, he readied himself for his fatal strike. The timing would have to be perfect or he might not get another chance at this. He felt his maw being prodded a few times by the minotaur, soon it would be time he thought to himself. He could hear Sir Stouthorn approaching his left eye. He imagined the knight was relieved that the battle was all over. Sensed that the knight’s weapon was raised at the ready, he decided that now was the time to strike.

Instantly Lord Ouroboros opened his left eye, surprising Sir Stouthorn into dropping his guard. Before the minotaur could respond, the Fire Tyrant opened his maw and used his tongue to grab ahold of his opponent’s leg. With a quick motion the dragon drew the knight of the Lawgiver into his mouth and swallowed him whole.

Lord Ouroboros roared in triumph, beating his wings a few times in victory. Launching himself into the air he landed right in front of the Slave King who wore a dour look of disbelief on his face.

“Slave King you were truly a worthy opponent,” Lord Ouroboros rumbled. “Unfortunately for you, you didn’t know I’d consumed the last fruit of the Yggdrasil.”

The Slave King said nothing in response, but leaned back in his throne, sighed, and closed his eyes wearing a look of contentment.

“Have you nothing to say for yourself?” Lord Ouroboros demanded. “Your champion is dead, your life will soon be extinguished, and your domain is now mine by rights.”

“It is finished,” the Slave King said, opening his eyes and looking Lord Ouroboros directly in the eye.

“What do you mean… erk!” Lord Ouroboros choked, raising his head in pain high in the air belching flame and smoke as he screamed in torment. Coughing, the dragon vomited up blood and bile staining the arena floor below.

What’s happening to me?” Lord Ouroboros weakly asked, struggling to remain standing.

“I warned you what would happen,” the Slave King said, leaning forward in his throne. “I told you all would remember this as the day the Lord of Fire fell, and to a stone of all things.”

“Argh!” Lord Ouroboros screamed, clutching his chest in pain. With a few weak coughs, the Fire Tyrant’s head fell weakly to the broken floor of the arena.

“Please…” Lord Ouroboros weakly said, bringing a claw up to his left eye, “I can’t go on… It hurts so much.”

Moments later his left eye popped out of its socket, followed by a blood and bile covered Sir Stouthorn. Lifting up The Vendetta, he brought it down swift and hard severing the eye’s optic nerves. Picking up the massive eye, he held it high overhead for all to see. Sir Stouthorn looked down at the dragon and began walking towards the entrance to the arena without a second thought.

Lord Ouroboros coughed up some more blood and bile out through his nose, mouth, and his open eye socket. “Please it hurts so much…” the dragon said, begging for an end to the torment.

Placing down the eye, Sir Stouthorn walked back towards Lord Ouroboros and looked down at the once proud Lord of Fire. Raising The Vendetta high overhead, he prepared to land a fatal blow. Lord Ouroboros sighed and closed his remaining eye as he waited to welcome oblivion.

“Thawack!” echoed The Vendetta throughout the hushed arena. The spectators, both mortal and immortal alike waited with baited breath to see if a mortal had actually killed the invincible Lord of Fire.

Lord Ouroboros opened his eye, confused as to why he was still alive. “What?” he weakly gurgled, when he saw that Sir Stouthorn had only cut the iron chain around his neck. Without a further word the knight of the Lawgiver picked up the talisman and the eye and exited the arena leaving the Fire Tyrant to his own devices.

“Stop!” Lord Ouroboros mumbled before mercifully losing consciousness. As his vision went dark he bitterly thought as a slowly fading mad howl was heard in the back of his mind, “I was going to be emperor…”

*****

The Slave King sat on his great stone throne inside his ruined palace. All but Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had decided to return with him. Both Lord Triton and Lord Cerynitis agreed as long as the moot occurred that day they would be satisfied. After receiving assurances from Princess Celestia that she would see to it that the Slave King would be there, they agreed to withdraw their armies. Reluctantly both Lady Zephyr and Lady Suzaku had agreed to help transport Lord Ouroboros back to his hoard with the assistance of his flight of dragons.

As the Slave King waited for Sir Stouthorn to finish cleaning himself off, he stared intently at the talisman in his hands. The mottled griffins feather and broken unicorns horn dangled from the iron chain, ever since he had received them back he had remained silent. Not even bothering to pay attention to Nightmare or the arch duke.

Princess Luna looked at the Slave King as he stared at the talisman, and looked concerned as he sat on his throne silently mumbling to himself. “Mine sister, thou thinketh that the Slave King has been touched with madness?” she asked. “For he nearly plunged all Equestria into war, and broke the earth all for yonder trinket.”

“Only the madness of somepony who has lost everything,” Princess Celestia replied.

“Surely allowing the Slave King to continue thusly wouldst be a grave error,” Princess Luna replied.

“I’m not sure I could even do anything about him,” Princess Celestia said, “as long as his heart beats in the Well of Eternity he’s probably invulnerable.”

“Mayhaps I shouldst do what thou intendest,” Princess Luna said. “The Slave King’s addled mind may return towards hateful mischief now he hast that which he desired.”

“Wife, were you plotting my demise?” the Slave King demanded, glaring at Princess Luna with a smoldering rage. “That’s grounds for divorce, you know.”

“Husband,” Princess Luna spat, “twould be a frigid day in the pit er I would allow thee to lay a hoof upon mineself or mine sister.”

“The feeling is mutual, Luna the beautiful,” the Slave King growled. “Now that you’ve seen to your business, leave my realm.”

“Nay,” Princess Luna replied, “not till thou hast returned with us to the moot.”

“Once your business with Clover and his friends is finished, and they are safely out of your domain,” Princess Celestia said, “then we will accompany you to the moot, and happily be out of your mane.”

The Slave King looked at the last Gem Biter darkly and sighed, “Very well Celestia the Radiant, it will be as you say,” he agreed. “Once all my business with Clover and his friends is concluded, I’ll have my servant Nidhogg see them to where ever they wish to go.”

Princess Celestia nodded her head and smiled. “Thank you for your cooperation in this matter Slave King,” she said, as a freshly bathed Sir Stouthorn entered the throne room.

The Slave King looked at the minotaur and smiled. “Sir Stouthorn,” he said, “for aiding me in my time of need, the Earth will remember you forever in generosity.”

Sir Stouthorn approached the throne and placed the anklets and armor on the waiting pedestal next to the Slave King’s throne before stepping away from his throne.

The Slave King narrowed his eyes and gave Sir Stouthorn a hard look before standing up from his throne. “I see that you have returned to me both the anklets and armor,” he said, slowly approaching the minotaur while Nightmare circled behind them, “but where is The Vendetta? Did you happen to misplace it while you were bathing?”

“No, I still have The Vendetta,” Sir Stouthorn said, holding up his right hand.

“Then I’ll ask only once,” the Slave King replied, with a voice laced with cold steel. “Return The Vendetta to me, and we’ll speak of this no more.”

“Swear that you’ll pursue Shanks no more and I will,” Sir Stouthorn demanded, readying The Vendetta for combat.

“All under the Earth are mine to judge,” the Slave King said, glaring darkly at Sir Stouthorn, “Not until the last Gem Biter has been judged is my business completed with your party.”

Sir Stouthorn formed The Vendetta into a fiery axe, and held it at the ready. “Everytaurus get ready,” Sir Stouthorn shouted, when he saw Second and his four remaining doomhounds enter the throne room.

“Slave King, please be reasonable,” Princess Celestia pleaded. “At least let them leave unharmed, you owe them that much.”

“They shall be rewarded with wealth without measure if they just give me the last Gem Biter, even the minotaur will still receive his full share,” the Slave King shouted, his eyes flashing with madness.

“You dreadful beast!” Showboat said, lowering her horn and creating a dozen copies of herself. “I’d sooner jump into the pit first before I allowed you to harm one hair on Shanks adorable little head.”

Shaw screeched defiantly at one of the doomhounds and readied his talons. “I’m with my marefriend on this one,” Shaw agreed. “Take your reward and go choke on it!”

“As tempting as wealth without measure is,” Slick said, readying his slingshot, “if I turned my back on Shanks, Showboat would never let me hear the end of it.”

“Shanks is my friend,” Clover said, powering up his horn. “And his friendship is worth more than all the riches in Equestria. So I ask that you let us go and we’ll trouble you no further.”

Seafoam drew his trident, the light from the sun gleamed off its razor sharp points. “I told the arch duke earlier that if my master died not even the pit would protect you from me,” he screamed. “The same goes for Shanks and rest of my friends. Should any of them fall Tartarus itself won’t be able to hold me. They will be avenged.”

“Heh old chap,” Sir Stouthorn said holding the flaming axe low. “I guess you have your answer now.”

“Then I guess I do,” the Slave King menacingly said, his low voice a dangerous mixture of equal parts madness and cruelty.

“Thou little ones,” Princess Luna shouted, filling her horn with her magic, “prepare to run, mine sister and I shalt hold the monster at bay.”

"No!” the Slave King screamed, unleashing all his power in a massive explosion knocking everyone in the room to the floor.

Only Sir Stouthorn, holding The Vendetta aloft managed to keep his footing as he used its unique abilities to absorb the Earthen magics the Slave King had released.

The Slave King seeing that not only was Sir Stouthorn still standing but also countering his magical assault, screamed in frustration.

“Not even Celestia can save you!” the Slave King cried, gesturing towards the prone form of the princesses. “Give yourself up for judgment.”

“At Jormungandr’s Way I stood up to Scourge the doomhound without flinching. At the Marelantis Coliseum I battled Terrorantula the spider without faltering. Against all odds I defied Lord Triton the Lord of Water without failing. And in the Howling Wastes I punished Lord Ouroboros the Fire Tyrant himself without falling,” Sir Stouthorn shouted, knocking back the wild magical energies of the Earth with The Vendetta. “What makes you think I’m going to stand down to the likes of you, you son of a bitch!”

“Because unlike them I planned ahead,” the Slave King replied, as Nightmare leapt at Sir Stouthorn from behind.

“Argh!” Sir Stouthorn grunted as Nightmare bit down on The Vendetta.

Seeing his opportunity to end this tiresome battle once and for all, the Slave King slammed his foot down on the Earth sending up razor sharp iron spikes out of the ground impaling Sir Stouthorn.

The Slave King wickedly smiled when he saw the minotaur’s severed right arm fall uselessly to the floor.

Turning towards Nightmare and Second, he pointed to a side passage, “All of you leave now,” he commanded. “This is something I must do alone.”

As each of his servants disappeared into the shadows, the Slave King saw Nightmare giving him a disgusted look that said, “You’re a bigger fool then Lord Ouroboros ever was,” before fading from sight.

Sir Stouthorn looked down and saw the iron spikes that had impaled him in his abdomen, and started coughing up copious amounts of blood. Try as he might, he was unable to free himself from their cruel grasp. Looking at his left hand he saw it was covered in blood as he struggled to reach for The Vendetta.

“I think not minotaur,” the Slave King said, kicking the severed arm out of his reach.

Looking down at the unconscious form of the Last Gem Biter, the Slave King pointed his finger. “Time for the final judgment, I’ll even let you watch,” he said, to a struggling Sir Stouthorn who looked on in horror as he stood there trapped and unable to help his friend.


Author's Notes

Thank you gentlereader for reading and as always comments and favoriting is always appreciated.

Thank you gentlereader for having stuck with me through both thick and thin, in long chapters and short, in fast updates and unfortunately rather long periods of no updates. as the tale draws to a close I can only feel bittersweet regarding the end of one story, but joy knowing the next story is about to begin. In the end all stories must invariably close, and I can only offer you my sincere thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts with me in the comments. Your positive feedback and critiques make the storytelling worthwhile. So once again gentlereader thank you for reading The Great Slave King.

As for the story we find ourselves having several unresolved issues for example the voice in Lord Ouroboros's mind. Gentlereader i promise you will have your answer in the epilogue. In case you didn't catch it Lord Ouroboros speech to his mysterious voice was lifted from the Hobbit ala Smaug's boast.

Regarding Princess Luna and the Slave King, i decided to write the mingling of divinity something akin to sex. Though not as crude as a clopfic, hopefully it wasn't to risque. Whether the Slave King decides to pursue one of the female members of the pantheon or not, you will just have to wait to The Book of Water: Marriage of the Slave king to find out.

My apologies gentlereader if you had difficulties figuring out what caused Lord Ouroboros's indigestion. In case you didn't realize it it was the small stone that Strix gave Shaw in chapter 12 On the road to Londwhinium. I originally wanted to write a scene with Sir Stouthorn in Lord Ouroboros stomach, but felt that it flowed better from Lord Ouroboros's point of view.

Gentlereader I know I promised you 10k words of fighting but, I think that defeat by indigestion was somehow poetic justice to the great Lord Ouroboros. I guess that what you get for eating expired fruit.

If I didn't give enough screen time to your favorite character I apologize, but with a cast this large some characters inevitably receive less screen time then others.

Well seeing as how I've left you all on a cliffhanger, I hope to have the finale done by tomorrow, with epilogue to follow the day afterwards.

Once again gentlereader thank you for reading the almost completed epic adventure The Great Slave King. Until next time!

P.S. I'm considering commissioning a cover for the next book along with a better cover for this chapter. If any are interested in it send me a msg and we'll talk. And by commissioning I mean paying for it, and by paying for it I mean cold hard cash that can be used to buy hookers and blow, or paying the bills if you're feeling responsible instead.

PPS Made to featured once again! Thanks as always for reading.