• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 17,217 Views, 991 Comments

The Great Slave King - TalonMach5



King a slave of the diamond dogs, becomes a god and plots his revenge against those who wronged him.

  • ...
68
 991
 17,217

Once in a Bleu Moon

The darkness was disorienting, shifting his eyes back and forth he struggled to remember where the hades he was at. The echoing cracks of whips and guttural growls told him everything he needed to know. He was back in the mines again. Oh, how did he hate these mines with a passion! Not only because of the backbreaking labor, but also because the stench of despair and hopelessness choked the tunnels like some sort of poisonous miasma. The air was heavy with dust, making it difficult to breathe. After his eyes had adjusted to the dim light the magical lanterns provided in this dank place, he placed his hand to his mouth and coughed heavily. His throat burned, as he tried expelling the soot from his lungs. Looking down at his hands, he saw they were stained as red as the rusty chains that held him bound to this place. Knowing that he didn’t want to be caught not working; he bent down and resumed sorting through the broken stones in his relentless search for more gems for his masters. His back was aching again; these low tunnels made sorting through the stone and earth for any stray gems an annoying chore. A low chuckle interrupted his concentration. Looking up, he saw one of the only real friends this dismal place had seen fit to bless him with.

“King, you hairless monkey,” the griffin said, handing him a canteen of water, “if the guards catch you slacking off again, they’ll send Lasher after you.”

Grateful for the cold water, King drank deeply from its contents. “Snowe you old buzzard,” he replied, handing the canteen back to him “I’d honestly welcome a break. The chance to rest after getting whipped would be a welcome relief.”

Snowe grabbed the canteen with his talons to place back in his saddlebag, looking down at the canteen the griffin face showed his concern when he saw the bloodstained handprint on it. “It’s getting worse isn’t it?” he asked concerned for his friend’s wellbeing.

“Yes I’ve been hacking up quite a bit of blood lately,” King sighed, it spoke volumes of how tired he was, as he returned to his never ending task of rooting through the broken earth looking for any gems he could find. “I’m so tired, I welcome the day when I never awake again.”

Snowe looked at his friend in concern, “Don’t say that!” he scolded King. “What about all those stories about the human spirit, perseverance, and ingenuity you’re always bragging about? We only have to be patient and wait for our chance to escape together. Besides, she would never forgive you, if you went up and died.”

“Well, I’m not dead yet,” King weakly laughed, until it was interrupted by a violent coughing fit. “Besides, I only have one foot in the grave, and the newest tunnels I’ve located seem to be a promising lead to our liberation.”

Snowe shook his feathered head at his friend’s optimism, causing a few of his white and grey feathers floating to the ground. The griffin feathers had once been as white as the driven snow. But now, he was a mottled mess of greying and white feathers, the price of working in these cursed mines.

“King, make sure you come home with some gems this time,” Snowe said, as he left the tunnel to resume his own tasks, “you know how Lasher loves to work you over when you don’t meet your quotas.”

With a knowing nod, King got back to work searching the debris for any gems he have missed before moving to the next section of wall. Long ago, the human had learned how to game his masters daily gem quotas. Being the weakest of the working slaves, he’d figured out that his masters expected little of him. By only bringing back the bare minimum of gems, any extras he found could be brought in the next day, allowing him to spend his time searching for a means to escape. His previous career as another sort of slave had taught him well, no job is worth doing right if you can half-ass it instead.

Seeing that it was nearly time to quit for the day, King walked deeper into the tunnel to retrieve enough gems from his stockpile to cover his quota. Removing a large nondescript stone from the wall, he revealed a large cache of gems. Grinning, he picked up a few of the larger gems and a bunch of the smaller ones and placed them inside his satchel. Right before he was about the leave the tunnel, he stopped and headed back deeper into the mine. Deciding to test his luck, his gave a few swings at the walls of the shaft with his pick. After his fourth swing, he was about to stop for the day. Instead, he took one last swing as hard as he could against the stone wall of the mine.

Immediately, his face was hit with a blast of cool air. “Jackpot,” King said to himself. Picking up a stone, he lodged it deeply in the wall to hide his actives, and then placed his mark on the tunnel entrance. Since he was useless for any heavy digging, he was responsible for cleaning out the tunnels for any gems that might have been missed. He was so thorough that no one ever questioned his work, allowing him to run his gem cache racket. Walking towards the entrance, he hummed a pleasant little tune to himself as he exited out of the mine and into the expanse of the Diamond Vale.

“You’re late slave,” growled a deep voice. “I don’t like being made to wait.”

King stopped and faced the voice’s owner. Looking at his taskmaster, he saw that the grey minotaur was waiting impatiently to count his quota of gems. “Well Lasher,” he said, “I’m sure if you’re unhappy with your job, the master will let us trade positions for a few days. What do you say? I can beat you while you dig for gems.”

Lasher flicked his wrist in response. Like lightning, his whip cracked past the human’s head barely missing his left ear. “Slave,” he growled, “I certainly hope you’ve missed your quota today. Cause if you’re a single gem short, I’m going to give you double the lashes tonight.”

King smugly handed his pack to the minotaur. He had counted the number of gems twice, and added a few extras so that no one would be the wiser. Lasher carefully sorted through the small pile of gems, making sure that their numbers and weight met the human’s meager daily quota.

Seeing that the number of gems were correct, Lasher gnashed his teeth momentarily and then grinned evilly. “Well, well, well, Slave,” the minotaur said vindictively, “it appears you’ve failed to meet your quota today.”

“Lasher, what do you mean?” King asked, suddenly afraid of what would happen next.

Confirming King’s suspicions, Lasher picked up the largest gem in the pile and pocketed it. “Looks like you’re missing one of the required large gems, and you know what that means…” he said viciously.

Lasher held his whip with both hands. The large black minotaur twisted the whip hard, causing its leather to groan in complaint at being so roughly manhandled. When King heard the sounds that the whip made, he blanched at the thought of his upcoming punishment. Lasher smiled in pleasure, when he saw the look on the hapless slave’s face. King turned his back to his tormenter, steeling himself for the upcoming pain.

The minotaur grabbed a fistful of the human’s hair and slammed his face roughly into the stone walls of the mine. He moved his face dangerously close to King’s. “Slave…” Lasher hissed into his right ear, “I think we shall administer your punishment where everyone can see you.”

Making sure King got the message; Lasher turned the slave around to face him and punched him in the gut as hard as he could. King fell to the ground groaning in pain, while blood streamed freely from his bruised nose and busted lips. “Get up, you laze about,” the minotaur said, spitting on the ground near King’s feet.

King used his arm to wipe the blood from his face and got up from the mine’s floor. With hate in his eyes the slave walked towards his master’s estate, while Lasher followed closely behind him. Once they had reached the estate and entered the slave’s quarters, the surly minotaur pointed towards ‘The Punisher’. The punisher was an iron rack used to restrain slaves while they were beaten or whipped. King didn’t even have to be told once, he knew the drill intimately. Placing his wrists in the restraints, his joints groaned as Lasher pulled them taught.

Uncoiling his whip, Lashed flicked it skillfully into the air. A sharp cracking sound reverberated throughout the room. Satisfied he had every slave’s undying attention, he pointed at the restrained King. “Look on the price of defiance,” the minotaur said, mainly for the benefit of the newly acquired slaves. “This slave failed to meet his quota and is now going to be disciplined. But don’t worry. You won’t necessarily suffer his fate. Work hard and you will be treated well. But work poorly,” Lasher said, shaking his head in mock disappointment, “and you’ll become acquainted with my whip!”

Satisfied that all the new slaves were riveted at the spectacle before them, Lasher cracked his whip a few times in the air for dramatic effect. Everyone present looked on in fear, especially Snowe and a blue unicorn mare. Snowe comforted her with his greying wing as she covered her purple eyes with her hoof, trying not to look as King received his lashes.

With a crazed look of pleasure on his face, the taskmaster began administering King’s punishment. Until you have felt the sting of an experienced slaver’s whip, you don’t know the meaning of the word ‘pain’. The standard treatment for slaves was ten lashes, which would bruise the flesh and leave welts. Missing your quotas repeatedly like King had was worth twenty, and would leave a slave’s flesh in ribbons. However forty lashes would just about leave you with one hoof in the grave. With an experienced eye and wrist, Lasher controlled his whip with precision. Each of the forty lashes King received was placed with care, never striking the same piece of flesh twice.

Once his bloody job was completed, Lasher released the restraints holding King up, he laughed when the weakened slave hit the floor hard. “You nearly killed him!” the unicorn accused, as she glared at the minotaur angrily.

“Shut your muzzle Bleu! Unless you wish to spend tonight rewarding the males for their hard work, instead of tending to that slave’s wounds,” Lasher said, threatening her with being whored out to his favored slaves.

“No Lasher,” Bleu submissively replied, praying to Celestia that she wouldn’t be sent to the male’s quarters tonight. “But King will require at least three days recovering from the beating you just administered.”

“He has one day,” Lasher said, his decision final. “If the slave is unable to work, I’ll send him to the arena. Master Yipyap has wanted to test his new acquisitions combat prowess; the slave should prove an adequate enough challenge to test their meager skills.”

“But Lasher…” Bleu tried to object, only to have Snowe close her muzzle with his talons.

“What I think Blue is trying to say,” Snowe said, trying to salvage the situation, “is that we can’t replace King’s hands so easily. He’s our best blacksmith and leather worker, and no one can cut gems as well as he can. Perhaps give him three days to recover, and he can spend two of them doing light labor?”

Lasher carefully considered Snowe’s points, and nodded. “Yes, the slave’s hands are indeed valuable,” the taskmaster agreed. “Very well Bleu, you have three days to nurse him back to health. But in exchange for my generosity, you must service me tonight willingly.”

Seeing the minotaur’s lecherous smile made Bleu’s stomach nauseous. “Very well Lasher,” the pretty mare said, looking down at King with pity in her eyes. “But I don’t want it to take more than an hour; King is going to need nursing if he’s going to survive the night.”

Lasher nodded in agreement, pleased that he had humbled the unicorn in front of her friends. “Very well Bleu,” the taskmaster said, licking his lips in anticipation of the night’s activities. “Get him well enough so that the griffin can look after him, and then you can tend to me.”

Nodding in resignation, Bleu levitated King over to a bed and began releasing magic through her horn. Looking at his tattered back, Bleu held back her tears in vain, trying to piece his flash back together. “Father I’m so sorry,” she said trying not to weep over his open wounds.

King weakly opened his eyes and looked at her with a loving smile. “Little Bleu,” he said tenderly, “you shouldn’t have sold yourself so cheaply to Lasher. I’m not worth it.”

Bleu’s eyes went wide in surprise when she saw that King was awake and conscious. “Father,” she said angrily, her tears still freely falling, “don’t ever say that! Without you, who would look after me and Uncle Snowe?”

“Daughter,” King said as he weakly laughed through ragged breathes. “You haven’t needed me to look after you in years. If anything I’m keeping you down.”

“That’s not true!” Bleu said, unleashing magic from her horn into his wounds.

“Bleu, truth be told,” King said weakly, “I’m so tired, I think I shall return home soon.”

Realizing what he meant, Bleu hugged him tightly. “No!” she said, burying her muzzle deeply into his wild and unruly hair. “You promised me we would escape to Equestria together, just the three of us. You promised we would go see the western sea one day, to swim under Celestia’s sun until Luna’s moon rose high in the air.”

“I’m so sorry Little Bleu,” King replied, “I promise that even if I pass to the shadowlands, I’ll wait for both of you under the shade of a green tree. Once we’ve been reunited we can still go swimming together in the western sea.”

“I love you daddy,” Bleu replied, “I don’t want you to die!”

King started laughing, wincing in pain as his ribs objected. “Little Bleu,” he said, placing a hand lightly on her light blue mane, “I’m not quite dead yet. And, I think I’ve found our ticket out of here.”

Snowe walked towards King, “Are you sure?” he asked, daring not to hope for the impossible.

“Yes, I found a passage with freely flowing air,” King said with a smile. “That tunnel is the furthest one back in this whole damn place. It’s our ticket to freedom, we just need to arrange for enough provisions to make the journey and then collapse the entrance behind us.”

“Father, rest and conserve your strength,” Bleu said, full of hope for a life with her family outside these horrid mines. “I’ll heal you so that you can make the journey.”

King shut his eyes, smiling at being so lucky to have such a loving daughter. “I love you so much Little Bleu,” King said.

Not hearing a response, King opened his eyes and saw the ruined palace. He saw that Nightmare was looking at him as if he had lost his mind. Looking down he saw the manacles on his wrists, with their dozens of chains that barred him from ever enjoying their respective domains. His throat felt hoarse and his eyes burned for some unknown reason. Suddenly his iron crown felt like it weighed as much as a mountain; his head throbbed in pain under its weight. The Slave King felt a pain deep in his chest and clutched at his heart. Feeling the scar deep in his chest burning, he slumped back into his stone throne.

As the burning in his chest slowly died away, the Slave King tried in vain to remember what he had felt inside his dream. Anger slowly filled him. Yes it must have been anger and rage he had been feeling as he slept. The rage inside him, slowly built into a fury as cold as the deepest depths of the pit itself. Hoping to go back into his dream he clutched in desperation for his charm, but found it was missing.

“That’s right they took them away!” the Slave King raged to himself.

“Shouldn’t you do something about that?” a cold voice whispered in his mind. “They took them away from you, you should make them suffer!”

“Yes…” the Slave King said aloud, his raspy voice echoing throughout the palace ruins.

“You should let them know that taking them away was a mistake!” the icy voice continued, trying to provoke a response. “That would show them that you’re not some weakling they can trifle with.”

“How should I show them,” the Slave King asked in curiosity.

“Break the Earth…” the voice tempted.

“But the promise…” the Slave King said, thinking back to what he said to Little Bleu.

The voice didn’t respond, but instead remained silent

Concerned Nightmare looked up at her master, trying to see who he was speaking to. Moving her ears back and forth she was unable to hear the silent party that her master was conversing with. Pacing back and forth in the throne room, she worriedly stalked about the palace ruins in vain. When she heard him stop talking she returned to his side, laying her head on his knee she looked up at her master’s face. Seeing his burning eyes, Nightmare was pleased when she saw that he was the Slave King once more.

*****

Far away under the shade of a green tree being bathed by the radiance of Celestia’s Sun and blessed by the beauty of Luna’s moon, she waited patiently. As ponies passed her by they would occasionally ask “May I share this tree with you.” Her reply was always the same, “I can’t, I’m saving this spot for somepony very important to me.”


Author's note:

Gentlereader I felt that a little exposition on the Slave King was warranted, so I wrote this little chapter before moving back into the action in Londwhinium. I tried to provoke feelings of nostalgia with this chapter, let me know if I succeeded in the comments. As always thanks for reading, until next time gentlereader.